Battle Spot Teambuilding Discussion & Help Thread (read post #453, page 19)

Ok Thanks dude this is really good to know, so i already have Ferrothorn at a Defensive Pokémon then i'm going for a Offensive Rotom-W can i just have the EV spread plz ?

Hi, y'all.

I've got something of an alternative to the standard RMT post. I've only just started playing competitively on the cartridge after a few years of competitive battling on various sims, and I'm enjoying it for the most part. I've been trying to put together a Battle spot Singles team, and my approach to breeding competitive mons has largely been driven by which ones I like, and that hasn't always lead to the most cohesive teams. Team building for the 3v3 format is new to me, so I'm here asking for help.

In this thread, I'm going to post some of the pokemon I've bred that I'm interested in using. Y'alls job (if you want to, of course) is to help me put them in solid partnerships, suggest additional team-mates, or come up with concept teams based around the pokemon I'm already using. Additionally, any comments on the actual pokemon themselves would be appreciated, as I'm still learning the meta.

I've divided what I have into 4 sections: Gimmicks, Attackers, Tanks, and Megas.

Gimmicks:

Klefki @ Light Clay
Trait: Prankster
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Calm Nature
-Thunder Wave
-Reflect
-Light Screen
-Foul Play

Dual Screens Klefki was originally a support pokemon for Mega Chairzard X, helping ensure a safe set-up, but has helped my frailer pokemon who find themselves in the third slot with Klefki/Charizard (Greninja and Talonflame mostly). I really like Klefki as both a defensive pivot and pure utility pokemon, and some other options I'd considered included an Eject Button / Recycle set for free, safe switches.

Blaziken @ Focus Sash
Trait: Speed Boost
252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
-Swords Dance
-Baton Pass
-Protect
-Blaze Kick

A pretty standard baton pass lead. Has won me a lot of matches, but lost me a lot too. I haven't found a recipient I've loved for these boosts. I've tried mega Kangaskhan, Mega Metagross, Azumarill, even talonflame if there was an enemy talonflame to outspeed for sure. I feel like with the right partner, this could be a staple of my team, but I'm not sure what has the combination of attack and bulk to truly fit with this set. Tyranitar is an option (see below,) but I haven't decided on a set. Also looking for ideas on how to design around the third slot on this team.

Attackers:

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sand Stream
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Crunch
-Outrage

Tyranitar has been a late game sweeper and dedicated talonflame killer for me, but the weakness to fighting moves and the presence of mach punch really bums me out. I'm thinking of dropping stone edge for rock slide and outrage for ... I don't know yet. I've considered TTar to be on the receiving end of Blaziken's baton pass set, but not sure how this particular one would need to change-- maybe @Chople Berry? I frequently partnered TTar with Gengar for the fighting immunity, and that partnershiped worked well.

Talonflame @ Choice Band
Trait: Gale Wings
252 Atk / 4 Def /252 Spd
Adamant Nature
-Brave Bird
-Flare Blitz
-U-Turn
-Sleep Talk

Pretty standard set. Sleep Talk is for Breloom or Assist Liepard. Talonflame is an important check to steel types and frail set-up sweepers. When I pick Talonflame, it's almost always in the "well... what else can I bring?" phase...

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Trait: Huge Power
240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Adamant Nature
-Aqua Jet
-Waterfall
-Play Rough
-Superpower

Love this pokemon. Surprisingly bulky for opponents who are expecting the belly drum set. Great power, decent coverage, and has excellent synergy with Mega Charizard X, Mega Metagross, and has been one of the better baton pass receivers I've used so far. After a Swords Dance and 2-3 speed boosts from Blaziken, only bullet punch stands in the way. I'd love to work Knock Off into this set, but I'm not sure what to drop.

Greninja @ Life Orb
Trait: Protean
20 Atk /236 SpA /252 Spe
Naive Nature
-Dark Pulse
-Gunk Shot
-Ice Beam
-Low Kick

Another pretty self explanatory set. Revenge kills or seriously dents a lot of key threats, ohko-ing azumarill, zapdos, heatran, and others, while 2hkoing cresselia and aegislash. For a while, it was my "aegislash check" but the weakness policy set runs right over it, and it is too frail to switch into a sub-set with an active substitute. Another "3rd pick" pokemon that fills in gaps in coverage between the first two sets. Sometimes, I'll run Greninja as a lead, just hoping to do as much damage as quickly as possible, and keep opponents guessing as to what moves its running.

Tanks:

Porygon2 @Eviolite
Trait: Trace
244 HP / 252 Def / 12 SpD
Bold Nature
-Ice Beam
-Toxic
-Recover
-Shadow Ball/Thunderbolt/Magic Coat/Thunder Wave

A pretty standard set, with the exception of the last moveslot, which is constantly in flux for me. I can't decide whether certain coverage is more important (Shadow Ball for Aegislash / Taunt Gengar, Thunderbolt for Rotom, Suicune, Skarmory, etc) or speed control / utility wins out. Trace is a great answer to more gimmicky strategies that rely on abilities like Moody or SwagKey. Mostly uses as a defensive pivot or as a check to frail attackers who fail to 2hko porygon. I'm not sure what partners with it "best," and it also fills the third spot more often than not.

Cresselia Rocky Helmet
Trait: Levitate
252 Hp / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
-Ice Beam
-Skill Swap / Thunder Wave
-Psychic
-Moonlight

I debated putting my Skill Swap Cresselia in the gimmicks section, but it just has so much bulk-- it's a tank for sure. Taking Prankster / Contrary / Shadow Tag / Parental Bond / Whatever from a pokemon that relies on that ability is a huge get. This move works best on the switch in, so there's definitely some luck involved. The rest of the set is fairly standard. Cresselia pairs best with Mega Kangaskhan or Tyranitar to soak up the fighting type moves aimed at them.

Rotom-W Leftovers
248 Hp / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
-Volt Switch
-Hydro Pump
-Pain Split
-Will-o-Wisp

Pretty standard again. They're everywhere. Burn is great, and pain split is kind of useless. Not sure what to pick up instead, either. A solid pokemon, but one that doesn't mesh with the rest of my team as well as it could.

Megas:

Gengar @Gengarite
Ability: Levitate
4 Hp / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast
-Sludge Bomb
-Destiny Bond

A speedy, frail special attacker (one of my only dedicated Special Attackers... I should fix this) carrying destiny bond makes Gengar a great pokemon alongside my more balanced/defensive pokemon, being able to KO defensive threats with destiny bond while still going toe-to-toe (and winning) with other attackers. I've considered switching to a more bulky set, but I'm not sure how that would actually help. Partners well with Porygon to trade fighting and ghost immunities.

Kangaskhan @Kengaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
-Sucker Punch
-Power Up Punch
-Return
-Fake Out

Good ol Mega Kanga, love her or hate her, she's on top right now. I'm not sure how best to support Mega Kangaskhan though, and often find that once enemies take her out, they plow through the rest of my team. Aegislash is a huge problem, and I am considering dropping a move to make room for Earthquake.

Metagross @Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
68 HP / 252 Atk / 188 Spe
Adamant Nature
-Meteor Mash
-Bullet Punch
-Hammer Arm
-Zen Headbut

I decided to go with a bulkier offensive tank set for Metagross, as I thought would need to switch in a lot more than it does. When it does switch in, I've found it still takes too much damage to really pick up steam, especially considering it still needs to mega evolve. I've tried using metagross as a recipient of batonpass, and while it appreciates the speed, it doesnt always fare the best on the switch in. Could a much more tanky set up be used to decent effect here? Adamant with HP / SpD evs?

Charizard Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
-Dragon Dance
-Dragon Claw
-Fire Punch
-Earthquake

A set up sweeper with a good typing, good bulk, and great offensive presence. Stealth Rock is a huge deterrent, as I dont pack any removal on any pokemon so far. I've found that pairing Charizard with Klefki helps it to set up safely. This is another pokemon I tried to build a team around, but found out that I needed better partners.

So there you have it. The pokemon I've trained so far. Again, I'm looking for ideas on how to mix and match this bunch of pokemon, which new ones to add, what cores to try and build around, or whole battle concepts involving some of these pokemon. I'm really receptive to anything y'all might have to say about this, and I'm sorry if it's total information overload. I probably would have made this its own thread, but it seems like the mods want to keep these things consolidated. Thanks for reading!

Just recently I played a little Battle Spot single. I wonder if I understood how work this metagame, so this is my team. I tested it a little and it seems work, but I am not sure at all.

Oh, well, Random.org gave me a number. I don't remember it but the number corresponded, in the usage stats, to Serperior.
Weeeell, Serperior, who does stop my Serperior? Grass-types in general (I used Serperior with Leaf storm + Dragon Pulse). Added Charizard-X to hit hard these grass-types and earthquake for Heatran. Then I wanted complete the FGW core and so I added also Rotom-W to stop M-Salamence and Talonflame. I always wanted to use DD Facade Mega Altaria (Such long this name) so I added it. Bisharp is good to kill Sylveon and Aegislash while Sharpedo looks cool with Focus Sash + Destiny Bond. Obviously I understood already that team will not work but I thought it was good for learn the metagame. Like in VGC metagame, Kangaskhan is a problem, one day I'll know how to stop that kangaroo.

Anyway I changed much the team. Serperior is still here but now: (I looked at Victim of the week topic) Hidden Power Fire over Dragon Pulse on Serperior, I use Mega-Tyranitar over Char to stop enemies Charizard-X/Y. Since Bisharp with Tyranitar was a bad combination, Now I play Entei over the power ranger for kill Aegislash. About Aegislash, Now I use it over Sharpedo to stop Sylveon. Suicune, with a particular set, over Rotom-W to try to stop Kangaskhan (Without lose a good answer against Salamence).

Serperior @ Lum Berry
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 180 HP / 152 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Glare
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Reflect​

Serperior has much enemies in this meta: Talonflame, Salamence, Heatran, etc. However Leaf Storm + Contrary is a good combination and allows Serperior to hit hard everytime. With those EVs in Speed it can outspeed Garchomp. 'mons faster than Chomp are Talonflame and Thundurus, there's not need to outspeed them since they are dangerous for Serperior, or anyway Glare is here (Even because I don't outspeed talonflame never with max speed). Hidden Power Fire over Dragon Pulse 'cause Dpulse is useless lol, while Hidden Power Fire can hit hard Ferrothorn. Reflect is a good support.

Entei @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Bulldoze
- Iron Head
- Stone Edge​

Oh, Entei and its Sacred Fire. It's not a contact move, so King's Shield does not give me problems. Stone Edge is for Talonflame and Charizard, it's good 'cause Entei has the same speed of Charizard. Bulldoze hits hard Heatran or anyway it is a help against fast 'mons. Iron Head is a good move for Rock-types or Fairy-types if I have not Aegislash in my party.

Suicune @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Icy Wind
- Reflect
- Roar​

This set should make me able to take Kangaskhan. Scald burns and it's the STAB, Icy Wind for dropping enemy's speed and is a good answer against Salamence. If Salamence (or another Pokémon) is about to boosting, then I use Roar. Even here there's Reflect to protect me from physical threats. Rocky Helmet gives more damage, and with the recoil from Double Edge, makes Kangaskhan easier to kill. I'm thinking to put Ice beam over Icy wind for kill Salamence because:

0 SpA Suicune Icy Wind vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Salamence: 64-76 (37.4 - 44.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 SpA Suicune Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Salamence: 136-164 (79.5 - 95.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Salamence Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 142-168 (68.5 - 81.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

If Salamence has already danced for me it's over.

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 84 HP / 12 Atk / 244 Def / 4 SpD / 164 Spe
Impish Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Rock Slide
- Crunch
- Earthquake​

Reminds me this lol: www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqI0hTm0s98
Well, It should kill well Charizard. Sand stream gets rid of Charizard-Y's sun so it can't abuse of the sun boost anymore and Solar Beam must charge one turn and it will only deal half of its normal damage. If this dinosaur can dance once, it becomes incredible. Rock Slide for Fire-types like Char-X/Y and Talonflame, for Heatran there's Earthquake, while Crunch helps against stupid Cresselia (I hate that Pokémon).

Aegislash @ Life Orb
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- King's Shield
- Shadow Sneak​

Aegislash stops fairies like Sylveon or Gardevoir. It's standard: King's Shield, STABs and Shadow Sneak like priority. I have not to say more... Ah, can help against Salamence and Kangaskhan, but it's a little help.

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Earthquake
- Facade​

Well, this is my favorite member. Typing is incredible and after a dance it becomes unstoppable (It's not entirely true lol ). However the big move of this set is Facade. If Altaria is burned, Facade deletes the drop in the attack stats and makes Altaria a Mega Pokémon with a 140 BP STAB move. Earthquake is for Heatran and Aegislash, or for who resist to Fairy-type.

Can anyone help me?

Here my heros:
- M-Tyranitar
- Entei
- Suicune

Still looking for help for my 3DS Battle Spot Singles team. I would really appreciate any critique.

I'm trying to go for a balanced team that can take on most (or ideally all) of the most common threats. Here's the team:

Venusaur-Mega @ venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Leech Seed
- Synthesis

Takes care of water, rock, ground, electric and fairy pokemon. Azumarill is his specialty since without him (or a similar pokemon) Belly Drum Azumarill can wreck whole teams. I read somewhere that it's better to give him def EVs so I'm trying it out. Works pretty well, though I worry about the special attacks. Speed IVs to outspeed a max speed Azumarill without a timid nature, just in case. Not sure where to put the final 4 EVs.

Sableye @ leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Taunt
- Recover
- Will 'o' Wisp

Takes care of phy attackers. A w.o.w and a taunt prevent powerful phy damage and set ups. Invaluable when I'm able to do so. Puts down Megakhan easy. Also great for Aegislash; Taunt to prevent Swords Dance and/or sub, then w.o.w to reduce their attack.

Gliscor @ toxic orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 204 HP / 52 Atk / 252 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Protect
- Swords Dance

Handles a lot of threats. Aegislash, Mega Beedrill and Heatran are 3 that come to mind.Tried the toxic-stall version but it didn't seem to help very much so I went back to Rock Slide which helps take care of Talonflame and Volcorana among others. Protect helps more than roost in the long run. HP is divisible by 8 for maximum poison heal recovery, Impish nature to help his already good defense and 252 IVs in special defense to help ward off sp. attacks. Took the 48 EVs out of HP and put it in attack to give his attacks some extra oomph.

Gyarados @ sitrusberry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Ice Fang
- Thunder Wave
- Dragon Dance

Really here just to beat down Mega Lucario since there are only a few pokemon that can reliably counter him. I T-Wave him and other pokemon and then try to para-flinch them. Also helps take out pokemon water pokemon usually take out. He can also help take out both forms of Mega Charizard. Seems to have a problem with dragons though.

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy-> Parental Bond
EVs 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Ice Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Power-up-Punch

Takes out a lot of pokemon, but the one I have in mind specifically for her is Mega Gengar. Got rid of Tyranitar for her because I figured having a second mega to call on would be better. She can't always take out Mega Gengar though, due to the fact that they may not run a Sp. Atk set. Could give up Ice Punch for EQ but I'm worried about dragons since Gyardos isn't the best at taking them out. Could give up Power-up-Punch instead but then I'd give up my Swords Dance with damage. Interested in hearing what set would work the best on her.

Gothitelle @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs 252 HP / 252 Def
Calm Nature
- Psyshock
- Rest
- Calm Mind
- Dark Pulse

Gothitelle is pretty much a place-holder. I can't think of any threats she specifically takes out, but I'm not sure what would make the best sixth pokemon on my team.

I've been considering an Unaware Clefable. I'm not sure she is a great dragon slayer though. Iron Head and Poison Jab on Dragon pokemon take her out easy, and I can't find a really good candidate for taking out Mega Salamence, which is the last mega I'm really concerned with. She handles Suicune and Cressila really well from what I've heard though.

So it's been a week since I posted my team. Is so awesome it's above reproach or do people just not bother with this thread? The former seems impossible since I already made a better team.

To Skyark: I did look at your team and couldn't find much wrong with it, but I'll give you some possible suggestions. I'm not sure if this possible advice will help but I'll give it a try anyways.

Serperior: you might want to trade Glare or Reflect for Taunt, because pokemon that can set up will always be a problem (Suicune and Cressila in particular)

Suicune: Calm Mind may be more helpful than Reflect. Not only does it increase your sp. atk but also your sp. def, which your entire team is sorely lacking. Leftovers might be a better item too since longevity is what Suicune is all about. It's pressure can cause pokemon to run out of PP and be left with struggle.

Mega Altraia: I think the Sp. Atk version of Altaria might be better since there are no status ailments that lower sp. atk. You can also take out pokemon that are hiding behind a sub with Hyper Voice. Flamethrower/Fire Blast can help with steel. I believe 172 EVs in sp. atk allow you to 1HKO Salamence with hyper voice. I would also put those speed EVs into HP instead since Mega Altaria is pretty slow and won't be out speeding many pokemon.

I hope I at least helped you a little.

Oh, ok, now you're my best web-friend. xD
I had lost all hopes that someone would help with my team.
Ok. Yep, i suppose taunt is much better than reflect since i met much azumarill with sap sipper which kill my serperior.
Calm mind, i don't know, in the topic of victim of the week, that suicune was a good answer against m-kangaskhan (oh my god, that pokémon is unstoppable), but ok, I tried that team and a calm mind suicune would help me from much lost battles.
Yup, youre right. But if you see better altaria, it has facade that it saves me from status and gives to altaria a stronger stab. But don't worry friend, I'll try sp atk altaria for sure.

I'm happy that you like the team, even though i lost much battles with that team, but i suppose it's 'cause i'm not still able to play competitive in the 3vs3.

Thanks for all your advices. :D

I'm sad that I can't help you like you done with me since i'm still a noob in this metagame. I can just say to change dark pulse with hidden power fire on gothitelle since ferrothorn can give you problems. Next.. I don't know, how do you deal salamence?

Big Snorlax I'll just give some of my thoughts of your team.

• Venusaur should be Bold nature with that EV spread, since it is a physically defensive spread.
  • Sableye is a cool and useful mon, but if you want to stop physical attackers from sweeping your team (which shouldn't happen too much since you have a bunch of pokemon that can take on most physical attackers), I'd recommend switching out Sableye for Thundurus. Priority T-Wave and Taunt is very nice, and it helps you take down Mega Lucario.
  • Gliscor should only be used on stall teams imo. It doesn't synergize with your team all too well. I'd recommend a different Ground type like Garchomp or or Scarfed Landorus-T, as they can help with your Char Y problems.
  • Gyarados doesn't seem all too relevant on this team if you pick Thundurus. Maybe another bulky water type like CM Suicune can be used here to take care of Talonflame and physical attackers that are weak to the combination of Scald and Ice Beam or dislike getting burned. Azumarill could possibly work here too since it can check Mega Lucario. If you choose to keep Gyarados, it should be a defensive variant with Taunt or Roar over Dragon Dance. Rocky Helmet is an option is an option as an item too.
  • A SubToxic Heatran could fit into Gothitelle's spot since it's a fantastic partner for Mega Venusaur and you said yourself it's not doing much for the team. Offensive Specs Heatran can work as well, but I'd recommend the SubToxic set.
  • Consider Double-Edge over Return on Mega Kangaskhan for more power. Earthquake can also be an option over Power-up-Punch if you wish not to set up on pokemon and want to rely on coverage.
  • I'm not too sure if Clefable can help your team as much as you think. Minimize Clefable or CM Clefable could work to take out Suicune, but you must be weary of Roar variants of Suicune. It could be used over Heatran, but I don't see it doing too much for the team other than taking out other CM users and Cresselia, one of which Heatran can deal with.
This is all the opinions I had on your team when looking at it. It's not the most optimal advice, but this is advice you should consider. Also, it's not recommended to go on GameFAQs for people to rate your team. There's a bunch of trolls there and only a few users there are knowledgeable about the Battle Spot metagame. Trust me, I've tried in the past.

If you need help with some of the movesets and EV spreads, don't hesitate to ask. I'm sure many users on this forum and I can help you out :D

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
OK guess I'll try to help some peeps who haven't gotten any...

Hi, y'all.

I've got something of an alternative to the standard RMT post. I've only just started playing competitively on the cartridge after a few years of competitive battling on various sims, and I'm enjoying it for the most part. I've been trying to put together a Battle spot Singles team, and my approach to breeding competitive mons has largely been driven by which ones I like, and that hasn't always lead to the most cohesive teams. Team building for the 3v3 format is new to me, so I'm here asking for help.

In this thread, I'm going to post some of the pokemon I've bred that I'm interested in using. Y'alls job (if you want to, of course) is to help me put them in solid partnerships, suggest additional team-mates, or come up with concept teams based around the pokemon I'm already using. Additionally, any comments on the actual pokemon themselves would be appreciated, as I'm still learning the meta.

I've divided what I have into 4 sections: Gimmicks, Attackers, Tanks, and Megas.

Gimmicks:

Klefki @ Light Clay
Trait: Prankster
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Calm Nature
-Thunder Wave
-Reflect
-Light Screen
-Foul Play

Dual Screens Klefki was originally a support pokemon for Mega Chairzard X, helping ensure a safe set-up, but has helped my frailer pokemon who find themselves in the third slot with Klefki/Charizard (Greninja and Talonflame mostly). I really like Klefki as both a defensive pivot and pure utility pokemon, and some other options I'd considered included an Eject Button / Recycle set for free, safe switches.

Blaziken @ Focus Sash
Trait: Speed Boost
252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
-Swords Dance
-Baton Pass
-Protect
-Blaze Kick

A pretty standard baton pass lead. Has won me a lot of matches, but lost me a lot too. I haven't found a recipient I've loved for these boosts. I've tried mega Kangaskhan, Mega Metagross, Azumarill, even talonflame if there was an enemy talonflame to outspeed for sure. I feel like with the right partner, this could be a staple of my team, but I'm not sure what has the combination of attack and bulk to truly fit with this set. Tyranitar is an option (see below,) but I haven't decided on a set. Also looking for ideas on how to design around the third slot on this team.

Attackers:

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sand Stream
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Crunch
-Outrage

Tyranitar has been a late game sweeper and dedicated talonflame killer for me, but the weakness to fighting moves and the presence of mach punch really bums me out. I'm thinking of dropping stone edge for rock slide and outrage for ... I don't know yet. I've considered TTar to be on the receiving end of Blaziken's baton pass set, but not sure how this particular one would need to change-- maybe @Chople Berry? I frequently partnered TTar with Gengar for the fighting immunity, and that partnershiped worked well.

Talonflame @ Choice Band
Trait: Gale Wings
252 Atk / 4 Def /252 Spd
Adamant Nature
-Brave Bird
-Flare Blitz
-U-Turn
-Sleep Talk

Pretty standard set. Sleep Talk is for Breloom or Assist Liepard. Talonflame is an important check to steel types and frail set-up sweepers. When I pick Talonflame, it's almost always in the "well... what else can I bring?" phase...

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Trait: Huge Power
240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Adamant Nature
-Aqua Jet
-Waterfall
-Play Rough
-Superpower

Love this pokemon. Surprisingly bulky for opponents who are expecting the belly drum set. Great power, decent coverage, and has excellent synergy with Mega Charizard X, Mega Metagross, and has been one of the better baton pass receivers I've used so far. After a Swords Dance and 2-3 speed boosts from Blaziken, only bullet punch stands in the way. I'd love to work Knock Off into this set, but I'm not sure what to drop.

Greninja @ Life Orb
Trait: Protean
20 Atk /236 SpA /252 Spe
Naive Nature
-Dark Pulse
-Gunk Shot
-Ice Beam
-Low Kick

Another pretty self explanatory set. Revenge kills or seriously dents a lot of key threats, ohko-ing azumarill, zapdos, heatran, and others, while 2hkoing cresselia and aegislash. For a while, it was my "aegislash check" but the weakness policy set runs right over it, and it is too frail to switch into a sub-set with an active substitute. Another "3rd pick" pokemon that fills in gaps in coverage between the first two sets. Sometimes, I'll run Greninja as a lead, just hoping to do as much damage as quickly as possible, and keep opponents guessing as to what moves its running.

Tanks:

Porygon2 @Eviolite
Trait: Trace
244 HP / 252 Def / 12 SpD
Bold Nature
-Ice Beam
-Toxic
-Recover
-Shadow Ball/Thunderbolt/Magic Coat/Thunder Wave

A pretty standard set, with the exception of the last moveslot, which is constantly in flux for me. I can't decide whether certain coverage is more important (Shadow Ball for Aegislash / Taunt Gengar, Thunderbolt for Rotom, Suicune, Skarmory, etc) or speed control / utility wins out. Trace is a great answer to more gimmicky strategies that rely on abilities like Moody or SwagKey. Mostly uses as a defensive pivot or as a check to frail attackers who fail to 2hko porygon. I'm not sure what partners with it "best," and it also fills the third spot more often than not.

Cresselia Rocky Helmet
252 Hp / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
-Ice Beam
-Skill Swap / Thunder Wave
-Psychic
-Moonlight

I debated putting my Skill Swap Cresselia in the gimmicks section, but it just has so much bulk-- it's a tank for sure. Taking Prankster / Contrary / Shadow Tag / Parental Bond / Whatever from a pokemon that relies on that ability is a huge get. This move works best on the switch in, so there's definitely some luck involved. The rest of the set is fairly standard. Cresselia pairs best with Mega Kangaskhan or Tyranitar to soak up the fighting type moves aimed at them.

Rotom-W Leftovers
248 Hp / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
-Volt Switch
-Hydro Pump
-Pain Split
-Will-o-Wisp

Pretty standard again. They're everywhere. Burn is great, and pain split is kind of useless. Not sure what to pick up instead, either. A solid pokemon, but one that doesn't mesh with the rest of my team as well as it could.

Megas:

Gengar @Gengarite
4 Hp / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast
-Sludge Bomb
-Destiny Bond

A speedy, frail special attacker (one of my only dedicated Special Attackers... I should fix this) carrying destiny bond makes Gengar a great pokemon alongside my more balanced/defensive pokemon, being able to KO defensive threats with destiny bond while still going toe-to-toe (and winning) with other attackers. I've considered switching to a more bulky set, but I'm not sure how that would actually help. Partners well with Porygon to trade fighting and ghost immunities.

Kangaskhan @Kengaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
-Sucker Punch
-Power Up Punch
-Return
-Fake Out

Good ol Mega Kanga, love her or hate her, she's on top right now. I'm not sure how best to support Mega Kangaskhan though, and often find that once enemies take her out, they plow through the rest of my team. Aegislash is a huge problem, and I am considering dropping a move to make room for Earthquake.

Metagross @Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
68 HP / 252 Atk / 188 Spe
Adamant Nature
-Meteor Mash
-Bullet Punch
-Hammer Arm
-Zen Headbut

I decided to go with a bulkier offensive tank set for Metagross, as I thought would need to switch in a lot more than it does. When it does switch in, I've found it still takes too much damage to really pick up steam, especially considering it still needs to mega evolve. I've tried using metagross as a recipient of batonpass, and while it appreciates the speed, it doesnt always fare the best on the switch in. Could a much more tanky set up be used to decent effect here? Adamant with HP / SpD evs?

Charizard Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
-Dragon Dance
-Dragon Claw
-Fire Punch
-Earthquake

A set up sweeper with a good typing, good bulk, and great offensive presence. Stealth Rock is a huge deterrent, as I dont pack any removal on any pokemon so far. I've found that pairing Charizard with Klefki helps it to set up safely. This is another pokemon I tried to build a team around, but found out that I needed better partners.

So there you have it. The pokemon I've trained so far. Again, I'm looking for ideas on how to mix and match this bunch of pokemon, which new ones to add, what cores to try and build around, or whole battle concepts involving some of these pokemon. I'm really receptive to anything y'all might have to say about this, and I'm sorry if it's total information overload. I probably would have made this its own thread, but it seems like the mods want to keep these things consolidated. Thanks for reading!
Yeah so it's really hard to piece together a cohesive team if you can only use the stuff you have on hand. You should instead try to plan a team first and then breed for it (although our planned giveaway should be starting soon which will help with any breeding that people don't want to do so stay tuned!). I think you can afford to just go totally standard and use a team of Talonflame, Greninja, Porygon2, Tyranitar, Cresselia and Kangaskhan. This team is pretty weak to fighting types though (4 of them are hit super effectively) but you also have Talonflame who just wrecks with Brave Bird, or Cresselia who can wall them and take out with Psychic...

Just recently I played a little Battle Spot single. I wonder if I understood how work this metagame, so this is my team. I tested it a little and it seems work, but I am not sure at all.

Oh, well, Random.org gave me a number. I don't remember it but the number corresponded, in the usage stats, to Serperior.
Weeeell, Serperior, who does stop my Serperior? Grass-types in general (I used Serperior with Leaf storm + Dragon Pulse). Added Charizard-X to hit hard these grass-types and earthquake for Heatran. Then I wanted complete the FGW core and so I added also Rotom-W to stop M-Salamence and Talonflame. I always wanted to use DD Facade Mega Altaria (Such long this name) so I added it. Bisharp is good to kill Sylveon and Aegislash while Sharpedo looks cool with Focus Sash + Destiny Bond. Obviously I understood already that team will not work but I thought it was good for learn the metagame. Like in VGC metagame, Kangaskhan is a problem, one day I'll know how to stop that kangaroo.

Anyway I changed much the team. Serperior is still here but now: (I looked at Victim of the week topic) Hidden Power Fire over Dragon Pulse on Serperior, I use Mega-Tyranitar over Char to stop enemies Charizard-X/Y. Since Bisharp with Tyranitar was a bad combination, Now I play Entei over the power ranger for kill Aegislash. About Aegislash, Now I use it over Sharpedo to stop Sylveon. Suicune, with a particular set, over Rotom-W to try to stop Kangaskhan (Without lose a good answer against Salamence).

Serperior @ Lum Berry Rocky Helmet
EVs: 180 HP / 152 SpA / 176 Spe 116 HP / 220 Def / 172 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Glare
- Hidden Power [Fire] Synthesis
- Reflect​

If you want him to check Mega Kang then use this. EVs outspeed Garchomp (like you already had but this is considering non-HP Fire IVs) and the HP + Def survive an Adamant Mega Kang's Double-Edge without reflect, and take less than half when Reflect is up, so if you lead against him or get in safely, you can just set up reflect and heal with Synthesis. If you switch in and take a Double-Edge then it's kinda tricky coz you'll be on really low health. If you suspect a Sucker Punch you can heal for free, otherwise just use Leaf Storm and get the trade off of 1-for-1...

Entei @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Bulldoze
- Iron Head
- Stone Edge​

Looks fine to me

Suicune @ Rocky Helmet Chesto Berry / Leftovers / Sitrus Berry
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Icy Wind / Ice Beam
- Reflect Calm Mind
- Rest / Roar​

So defensive Serperior and Suicune work really well together, and since Serp has Reflect then you can sometimes take advantage of it with Suicune (especially in that situation I explained above when you switch into a Double-Edge). The original Suicune set you had is actually pretty good so if you wanna keep it then I recommend full offensive Serperior with 84 HP / 4 Def / 248 SpA / 176 Spe with Leaf Storm, Dragon Pulse, HP Fire and Glare, holding a Life Orb.

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
EVs: 84 HP / 12 Atk / 244 Def / 4 SpD / 164 Spe
Impish Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Rock Slide / Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Earthquake / Ice Punch

I'm really happy to see someone actually using this set. I made it just for the Victim of the Week thread and have been wanting to try it out for real. I would definitely consider using Stone Edge over Rock Slide since without Adamant and little attack investment you don't actually hit that hard against some things (although it doesn't matter against the Zards as I explained in the thread). Heatran isn't super common and Earthquake is really only for him (you can get around Aegislash with Crunch and clever play against King's Shield). Ice Punch is really good for Garchomp, Mega Salamence, Landorus and Dragonite though. With your insane physical defense you can either straight up attack them or go for a Dragon Dance (will need 2 or more though to outspeed all except Dragonite). Just remember that I had totally forgotten about Mega Zard Y's with Focus Blast when I made this set, 50% of them carry the move and it OHKO's this Tyranitar. It created quite a controversy when I named myself the winner as well! However only a third of Charizards are Y versions, so you only have about a 20% chance of seeing a Charizard with Focus Blast at team preview.

Aegislash @ Life Orb
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpA 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- King's Shield
- Shadow Sneak​

248 HP EVs is inefficient at level 50 as 244 makes the same stat and only goes up at 252. Remember, a stat increases by 1 for every 8 EVs you put in after the first 4 (assuming a perfect 31 IV). I changed it to 252 and put 4 in SpD to give Download Porygon2 an attack boost.

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure Cloud Nine
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Earthquake
- Facade​

I use this set too!! It's one of my absolute favourites as well. I use Cloud Nine so that on the off chance I switch into a burn or toxic in non-mega form and have to immediately switch out it then doesn't cure the status and you can straight up use Facade when you come back in again! It also has the really situational use of allowing you to outspeed slower Swift Swim users on the turn you Mega Evolve as turn order is decided before that happens.

Can anyone help me?

Here my heros:
- M-Tyranitar
- Entei
- Suicune
^^^ Comments in bold. The team actually looks alright, however some of the individual members need fixing up.

Still looking for help for my 3DS Battle Spot Singles team. I would really appreciate any critique.

I'm trying to go for a balanced team that can take on most (or ideally all) of the most common threats. Here's the team:

Venusaur-Mega @ venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Leech Seed
- Synthesis

Why Modest with Def EVs?

Sableye @ leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Taunt
- Recover
- Will 'o' Wisp

Looks fine to me

Gliscor @ toxic orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 204 HP / 52 Atk / 252 SpD 204 HP / 76 Def / 228 Spe
Impish Nature
- Protect
- Substitute
- Earthquake
- Guillotine

The EV spread is weird. Impish but no Def investment? 52 EVs thrown randomly into attack? Offensive Gliscor serves no real purpose, use Landorus-T if you wanna go that route. Gliscor is used for stalling and stalling only (unless you wanna try Fling + Acrobatics, lol). The speed EVs outspeed max speed, non-scarf Adamant Lando-T (the fastest relevant thing Gliscor can outspeed), I played with the remaining EVs to get a HP number that's still divisible by 8, and maximizes physical bulk. You got the HP number right, and with 76 Def thrown in makes sure he has the most physical bulk with that much speed. Now all you gotta do is Protect + Sub stall against physical attackers / slower opponents, Earthquake for STAB and Guillotine for cheap kills against stuff that give Gliscor trouble.

Gyarados @ sitrusberry Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk Def / 4 Spe
Adamant Impish Nature
- Waterfall
- Ice Fang
- Thunder Wave
- Dragon Dance Taunt / Earthquake

T-wave + Dragon Dance is weird to me, they sorta cancel each other out. Either you T-wave and outspeed stuff, or Dragon Dance and try to outspeed. Defensive Gyarados is all the rage these days so give that a try. Intimidate + Impish + Rocky Helmet makes physical attackers switch, so T-Wave the switch in, HOWEVER electric types are immune and hit Dos for 4x effective damage! So if the opponent has one of those then either don't bring Gyarados to that battle or have Gliscor ready to help. Taunt shuts down defensive things that can sit in front of Gyarados and Earthquake can hit those electric switch ins.

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy-> Parental Bond
EVs 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return Double-Edge
- Ice Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Power-up-Punch / Earthquake / Fire Punch

Return is cute but Double-Edge is for men. PuP is alright but the meta is pretty hostile to M-Kang which means that setting up can be a chore. Earthquake gives coverage against Steels like Aegislash, Fire Punch helps against Ferrothorn.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave / Toxic
- Foul Play / Shadow Ball / Tri Attack
- Recover

Since your whole team is defensive mons feat. Kang then why not use the original Mence check? Grabs a boost from Download and OHKOs with Ice Beam. Can status a switch in and heal itself. good mon give it a try. Trace is also an option over Download but makes the OHKO from Ice Beam a ~50% chance, but can get you cool abilities like Intimidate, Parental Bond, Levitate etc.
^^^ Again, comments in bold because that's easiest imo

Thanks for the help!

My Venusaur actually has a bold nature. I bred a new one, but then forgot to proof read from the notepad I copied from, which I do so my post doesn't accidentally get lost. That's happened to me quite a few times.

I've actually changed my team around quite a bit since then, but I'm still losing a lot of the time. Gothitelle was switched for Unaware Clefable, which would work great IF THE DAMN THING WOULD STOP GETTING CRIT KILLED! I'm extremely upset about that if it wasn't obvious. I get a bunch of Calm Minds and it's near unstoppable, then it all turns out to be a waste of time. Could've swept the whole team..... I used Klefki for a while to set up dual-screens and T-wave fast pokemon but it doesn't seem to work out as often as I want it to.

While I like your advice Creeper, getting legendaries (that's not a word, but it should be) with great IVs takes an eternity, unless you know a faster way I'm not aware of. Otherwise I would do it. I've got a pretty good Suicune, perfect HP, def and sp. def, but it's speed is terrible so it doesn't work as well. It would take more Icy Winds to slow down opponents. I tried Char Y for a while but he didn't work out as well as I wanted. I might be using him wrong, but he falls to water pokemon like Greninja and Starmie easily since they have no problem out speeding him. Greninja still does a lot of damage even under the sun.

I've got 36 battle worthy pokemon and a ton of notes and I'm still hitting my head against the wall. There is something flawed with either my team or my execution and I don't know what it is. I'm going to try and get a Thundurus with max sp. atk and speed. Those and one more perfect IV are the best I can hope for without spending days on trying to get a near flawless one. It seems like the only way to win is to stock your team full of legendaries.

Big Snorlax maybe I'm cynical but the legends with poor IVs doesn't cut it. You need patience but it's easier than RNGing.

In the WiFi section, you could find at least three different Suicune. I know because I've got a perfect Calm one. I've also got a perfect Uxie & Entei.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thanks for the help!

My Venusaur actually has a bold nature. I bred a new one, but then forgot to proof read from the notepad I copied from, which I do so my post doesn't accidentally get lost. That's happened to me quite a few times.

I've actually changed my team around quite a bit since then, but I'm still losing a lot of the time. Gothitelle was switched for Unaware Clefable, which would work great IF THE DAMN THING WOULD STOP GETTING CRIT KILLED! I'm extremely upset about that if it wasn't obvious. I get a bunch of Calm Minds and it's near unstoppable, then it all turns out to be a waste of time. Could've swept the whole team..... I used Klefki for a while to set up dual-screens and T-wave fast pokemon but it doesn't seem to work out as often as I want it to.

While I like your advice Creeper, getting legendaries (that's not a word, but it should be) with great IVs takes an eternity, unless you know a faster way I'm not aware of. Otherwise I would do it. I've got a pretty good Suicune, perfect HP, def and sp. def, but it's speed is terrible so it doesn't work as well. It would take more Icy Winds to slow down opponents. I tried Char Y for a while but he didn't work out as well as I wanted. I might be using him wrong, but he falls to water pokemon like Greninja and Starmie easily since they have no problem out speeding him. Greninja still does a lot of damage even under the sun.

I've got 36 battle worthy pokemon and a ton of notes and I'm still hitting my head against the wall. There is something flawed with either my team or my execution and I don't know what it is. I'm going to try and get a Thundurus with max sp. atk and speed. Those and one more perfect IV are the best I can hope for without spending days on trying to get a near flawless one. It seems like the only way to win is to stock your team full of legendaries.
Yeah building a cohesive team is certainly tricky! I wouldn't go as far to say that it's mandatory to have legendaries in your team to be successful, but they certainly help! If you haven't checked out my Helpful Links thread (stickied near the top of this forum) then I'll link you to the Soft Resetting Legendaries Guide directly. If you follow the directions within it really speeds up the process of SRing by checking speed and HP in-battle. It's true that this can take a day or two but if you lower your standards then it shouldn't take too long (not much longer than starting a breeding project from scratch). For the Thundurus you should aim for at least 31/x/20+/31/20+/31. Get the three perfect IVs in HP, special attack and speed, and hope that the defence and special defence generate a high enough number. Thundurus can be annoying since you really need Hidden Power Ice, so maybe aim for something easier until you get the hang of it :)

Other than that, it's hard to help you further without providing the other teams you've been using. If you're having trouble teambuilding, just take it back go basics. Find something you want to be the focal point, for my latest team it was Dragon Dance Altaria. It's weak to Ice, Fairy and Poison, so pairing it with Heatran for some defensive synergy was an easy decision. Then I slapped on some mons who check common things like Kangaskhan, Garchomp and Talonflame (such as Serperior and Porygon2), slapped on a second mega -Mega Metagross (although I haven't been too impressed with it so I'm looking for another) - and something I can use with it since I can't also use Mega Altaria - Dragonite - and called it a day. It hasn't been super successful but I'm just grinding the lower ladder so I'm not really fussed. I'll try a bit harder when I get higher!

But yeah, start with something you like, add support for it, add checks to common threats and you have yourself a quick team!

Sorry about that last post, it was really childish and I was getting super frustrated. I've got a Thudurus now and it has perfect atk, sp. atk, sp. def, and speed with a timid nature. Not the best but pretty good. It's been really helpful in the short time I've had it. I gave it T-wave, Taunt, Knock Off and keep forgetting to throw on T-bolt. Probably going to change Knock Off to something else since I haven't been using it much.

The new team is Mega Venusaur (not getting rid of him), Life Orb Thundurus, Leftovers Suicune, Eviolite Porygon 2 and Charizard. I'm getting rid of Charizard because between him and Thundurus I've got a major problem with Stealth Rock and rock moves in general. Hard to pick a mega to replace him. Mega Khan is good but then I have 2 weaknesses to fighting. Might repost a team later if I have more trouble.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Check the Hidden Power type of that Thundurus. If you're lucky, its HP and Defense are even numbers, giving it Ice type Hidden Power... if not then that's a shame but there's a chance ! That would make a fine replacement for Knock Off.

* Tyranitar: Just remember that I had totally forgotten about Mega Zard Y's with Focus Blast when I made this set, 50% of them carry the move and it OHKO's this Tyranitar. It created quite a controversy when I named myself the winner as well! However only a third of Charizards are Y versions, so you only have about a 20% chance of seeing a Charizard with Focus Blast at team preview.
Yeah, Charizard-Y with Focus Blast is a big problem since no one can resist it. The only is Entei with Stone (miss) edge, while Altaria can't take the fire-STABs under sun or anyway it can't hit hard charizard.

Don't feel too bad guys who felt like no1 was paying attention! Sometimes there are Droughts and I feel it takes a post like that to make cant say want to help and maybe warn you (hey pm me if he did I want to know)
:)

Also, I've lost all confidence to help ppl with teams so i APOLOGIZE as well I've been really busy x_x
I would also highly desire (YES I'M SELFISH) this rmt thread to be more helpful so I can send ppl here and not have em be upset :(
r.i.p. my team advising 'skills'
Creeper3971 and cant say

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Yeah this thread can die a bit from time to time, I think we're still trying to figure out whether we keep discussion here or in the RMT subforum itself (maybe if we can make this more professional and follow the official format then maybe we can get some official raters here?).

it takes a post like that to make cant say want to help
I just saw that Big Snorlax had become Skyark's "best web friend" for helping and I wanted a piece of the action, lol

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
cant say is my best web friend <3

So that this post isn't a complete waste, here's a really trash team that I built the other night

Cryogonal @ Life Orb
EVs: 248 SpA / 20 SpD / 240 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Freeze-Dry
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Substitute

Hippowdon @ Rocky Helmet
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Slack Off
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind

Stoutland @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Superpower
- Crunch
- Return

Gyarados @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Substitute

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
Impish Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Roost

Okay so this team is pretty bad. I was looking up Garchomp counters and I realised that Cryogonal has a pretty optimal matchup against most Garchomp variants thanks to its 105 Speed stat, respectable 95 Special Attack and Ice STAB. It's otherwise pretty terrible so I decided to focus on these plusses with an Offensive Life Orb set. Due to being a snowflake, Cryogonal isn't particularly durable on the physical side (its special bulk, however, has impressed me on occasion - I switched into a Garchomp Fire Blast once and only took 40%), so I've thrown caution to the wind as far as bulk goes and have added Substitute to dodge status and abuse Choice-locked Ground- and Ice-types. Ice Beam is my power move - I had Flash Cannon here until I realised that I was never using it and that I was missing KOs with Freeze-Dry, so I decided to go for dual Ice STAB to attempt to capitalise on Cryogonal's useful STAB. Freeze-Dry does a surprising amount to the format's Water-types, making it so that slower Pokémon, such as Suicune and Slowbro, simply get wiped out when they attempt to switch in on an Ice Beam. With Pokémon like Scarf-less Garchomp and Landorus-T dealt with, I decided to focus on Cryogonal's weaknesses - a sand core of Hippowdon and Stoutland seemed to synergise well with Cryogonal's Garchomp-slaying capabilities and took care of threats such as Talonflame and Aegislash. Hippowdon also makes for a decent Kangaskhan stop. Stoutland is a toolbox of super-effective coverage and power, netting OHKOs left and right under sand on threats such as Mega Kangaskhan, Mega Salamence and Mega Gengar. The Choice Band makes it fairly difficult to pick a decent move to completely sweep an opponent's team, but it does often remove important threats for other members of my team. It was here that I added Mega Scizor to keep any specially offensive Fairies from ruining my day, particularly Sylveon. Physically Defensive Scizor is an important Pokémon for attempting to overcome physical Pokémon that may stand in Cryogonal's way, as well as being a very splashable end-game cleaner that can stand up to threats like Kangaskhan and Salamence for a limited amount of time. At this point, a Fire weakness was beginning to present itself; I decided to simply use up the remaining two slots on Fire resists to combat threats like Heatran and Blaziken. Gyarados does this very well, setting up Substitutes and Dragon Dances on these threats before going to town on an opponent's team. Hydreigon is simply here to act as a Will-o-Wisp (and, more specifically, Rotom-W) switchin and to fire off strong special attacks, as it and Cryo are the only two special attackers here. These two don't need much explanation as they're fairly standard :p

I'm thinking of dropping Gyarados for Lum Berry Azumarill as I need a more reliable switch-in to Garchomp's Dragon-type moves; it maintains Gyarados' positive matchup against Blaziken and Heatran without the irritating Rock weakness. I do lose a Ground resist, however, so I need to tread lightly. Keep in mind that this team is still in heavy testing mode so I'm open to suggestions :]

I just saw that Big Snorlax had become Skyark's "best web friend" for helping and I wanted a piece of the action, lol
But you are my guru (and GroudonEmpire too). One day I hope to become a good player like you in BSpot. Sorry for the OT.

Serperior with 84 HP / 4 Def / 248 SpA / 176 Spe with Leaf Storm, Dragon Pulse, HP Fire and Glare, holding a Life Orb.
Oh, anyway the sum is 512. I moved the 4 evs in def on the sp atk stat. ;)
And if Serperior holds life orb what item i must give to aegislash? Weakness Policy?

Last edited:

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
Oh, anyway the sum is 512. I moved the 4 evs in def on the sp atk stat. ;)
Nitpicking again but the max amount of usable EVs is 508, with the actual cap being 510... Anyway, moving that one point from Defense to Special Attack is fine unless you're running Hidden Power [Fire], in which case you're wasting it due to HP Fire's IV requirements. This is due to the way EVs work at Lv50, where you only gain a stat point for every 8 EVs you invest, as opposed to every 4 in Lv100 formats. Leave it as cant say's suggested EV spread, assuming that your IV spread is 31/30/31/30/31/30 like most HP Fire spreads are.

Nitpicking again but the max amount of usable EVs is 508, with the actual cap being 510... -- This is due to the way EVs work at Lv50, where you only gain a stat point for every 8 EVs you invest, as opposed to every 4 in Lv100 formats.
Yup but Cant Say gave me: 84 HP / 4 Def / 248 SpA / 176 Spe --> 84 + 4 + 248 + 176 = 512. So i suppose that the true spread was: 84 hp / 4 def / 244 satk / 176 spe. Then if i move the 4 evs in def on Satk, the satk stat change from 125 to 126. (With 31 Ivs this not happen but since Serperior has hp fire there's the change. Or anyway is what SD shows me. lol )

Anyway what about a spread like 36 Hp / 244 Satk / 224 spe? It allows me to outspeed terrakion. Or I necessarily need 84 hp / 4 def?

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Yup but Cant Say gave me: 84 HP / 4 Def / 248 SpA / 176 Spe --> 84 + 4 + 248 + 176 = 512. So i suppose that the true spread was: 84 hp / 4 def / 244 satk / 176 spe. Then if i move the 4 evs in def on Satk, the satk stat change from 125 to 126. (With 31 Ivs this not happen but since Serperior has hp fire there's the change. Or anyway is what SD shows me. lol )

Anyway what about a spread like 36 Hp / 244 Satk / 224 spe? It allows me to outspeed terrakion. Or I necessarily need 84 hp / 4 def?
Whoops, not sure how I made that error. I use Nugget Bridge's Damage Calculator which tells you how many EVs you have o_0 must have confused myself coz hidden power spreads are wonky.

If you wanna outspeed Terrakion and use Hidden Power Fire, then use:

12 HP / 4 Def / 248 SpA / 12 SpD / 232 Spe

248 SpA coz 252 is a waste with an even IV. 12 SpD and 4 Def so that your SpD is 1 point higher which will give Download Porygon2 an attack boost, and the rest in HP...

I've been trying Thundurus and I'm still having problems. He's fast, but he's even frailer than my Sableye or Klefki. If I take the time to Taunt or T-wave he seems to go down to the following attack since he seems to be capable of only being able take one hit. The next one KOs. Also didn't get a Thundurus w/Hidden Power Ice which would have helped. I could try to put his EVs into HP, def and/or sp.def but nobody seems to recommend it. Plus, except for sp def those IVs aren't that good (I'm not sure what they are).

I'm trying to re-EV Klefki so it has max def EVs plus some Light Screen/Light Clay combo. Could help for my team. Not sure what to do with the last two moves. Swagger/Foul Play combo doesn't seem to help me much. Maybe w.o.w and Knock Off? That I can give pkmn the stat ailment that cripples them the most. Could try the Wi-Fi board but I need to get another post in to qualify for some HP Ice Thundurs. Aside from this thread, I don't know where else to post since I'm not really concerned about any other aspect of the game. I hope I haven't been taking up too much of this thread already!

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
I've been trying Thundurus and I'm still having problems. He's fast, but he's even frailer than my Sableye or Klefki. If I take the time to Taunt or T-wave he seems to go down to the following attack since he seems to be capable of only being able take one hit. The next one KOs. Also didn't get a Thundurus w/Hidden Power Ice which would have helped. I could try to put his EVs into HP, def and/or sp.def but nobody seems to recommend it. Plus, except for sp def those IVs aren't that good (I'm not sure what they are).

I'm trying to re-EV Klefki so it has max def EVs plus some Light Screen/Light Clay combo. Could help for my team. Not sure what to do with the last two moves. Swagger/Foul Play combo doesn't seem to help me much. Maybe w.o.w and Knock Off? That I can give pkmn the stat ailment that cripples them the most. Could try the Wi-Fi board but I need to get another post in to qualify for some HP Ice Thundurs. Aside from this thread, I don't know where else to post since I'm not really concerned about any other aspect of the game. I hope I haven't been taking up too much of this thread already!
lol, it's ok! if you need help then post away!

What exactly are your Thundurus' IVs? You can find then out by using the MetalKid IV Calculator. Just fill in all the relevant info (including EVs!) and it'll spit out the IVs for you. If his HP and Def are below 20 then you're really going to be missing quite a bit of bulk. Also, a lot of people use a Sitrus Berry on him to try and turn most 2HKO's into 3HKO's. He's not a tank by any means so you shouldn't be trying to use him as such, just make sure that you aren't matching him up against things with powerful Ice and Rock type moves and you should be fine.

If you're thinking of claiming a Thundurus from the giveaway section, make sure it has a pentagon so that you can actually use it in ORAS battle spot!

By Klefki do you mean Sableye? Klefki can't learn Will-O-Wisp or Knock Off. Klefki is usually fine with just screens, Thunder Wave and Foul Play, or you can go full troll with the popular T-wave + Swagger + Foul Play + Substitute combo to beat down on special attackers / walls.

Didn't realize (or forgot) Klefki doesn't get W.o.W. Thundurus' IVs are 21/31/23/31/31/31. The problem I have with a lot of my teams is figuring out who gets Leftovers and who gets Sitrius berry. Pokemon like Sableye, Clefable and Suicune don't seem to work as well without the Leftovers. I've tried Chesto Resto on Suicune and Gothitelle before but I don't think it worked to well. I suppose I could try it again though.

Actually, the reason I like Gliscor so much is because of his awesome move set (EQ, Rock Slide/Toxic, Protect, Sword Dance/Sub) and Toxic heal, which works even better than Leftovers and allows me to put leftovers on someone else. If I do that though, rock, ground, flying, dragon and fire pokemon are out of the picture since they to are weak to water and ice.

I think I'm going to go back to breeding more pokemon. The ones I have in mind right now are Jolly Talonflame w/Gale Wings, Bold Sylveon w/Pixilate, Timid Starmie, Jolly or Adamant Medicham (I'll have to check which one is better), Modest or Adamant Altaria (probably both), Bold Skarmory w/Sturdy & Brave Bird and an Adamant Mawile w/Sucker Punch.

If it would make a difference, I could list all the pokemon I already bred and readied for battle, but I don't want to take up a ton of space on here and I haven't used html in so long that I can't remember how to make a link to a table or notepad or such. I'll probably keep hitting up Heatran and Cressila at night to try and get good versions of those too.

The amount of time I've spent on trying to get good at 3DS Battle Spot Singles has gotten to be obsessive, but I just want to be good at something for once. I don't want to get to emo, but other parts of my life haven't been going well for a long time so it seems like I'm turning to video games to get some sort of feeling of success and/or accomplishment.

cant say edit: merged these posts to avoid double posting :)

Last edited by a moderator:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Didn't realize (or forgot) Klefki doesn't get W.o.W. Thundurus' IVs are 21/31/23/31/31/31. The problem I have with a lot of my teams is figuring out who gets Leftovers and who gets Sitrius berry. Pokemon like Sableye, Clefable and Suicune don't seem to work as well without the Leftovers. I've tried Chesto Resto on Suicune and Gothitelle before but I don't think it worked to well. I suppose I could try it again though.
Oh, those IVs aren't half bad. Your Thundurus shouldn't be too frail, but like I said he can't tank too many strong neutral hits at all, but thankfully he isn't hit super-effectively by many things either... I would definitely give him a Sitrus Berry for some extra health though. Leftovers really isn't a stellar item in Battle Spot except on really bulky things that intend to sit in front of a certain foe for many turns. The only really viable Leftovers mons are Ferrothorn, Sableye, Suicune, Cresselia (much better with a Rocky Helmet though) and Klefki (on the SwagPlay set). Thundy shouldn't be using them at all.

Actually, the reason I like Gliscor so much is because of his awesome move set (EQ, Rock Slide/Toxic, Protect, Sword Dance/Sub) and Toxic heal, which works even better than Leftovers and allows me to put leftovers on someone else. If I do that though, rock, ground, flying, dragon and fire pokemon are out of the picture since they to are weak to water and ice.
The only positive trait for Gliscor out of the things you mentioned is literally Toxic Heal, otherwise Landorus-T outclasses him in all those other areas. Like I said earlier, Gliscor shouldn't really be going offensive and should focus on stalling. Remember that he can't stall everything though, and that's maybe why he was failing you before. Physical attackers lacking an Ice move are key targets.

I think I'm going to go back to breeding more pokemon. The ones I have in mind right now are Jolly Talonflame w/Gale Wings, Bold Sylveon w/Pixilate, Timid Starmie, Jolly or Adamant Medicham (I'll have to check which one is better), Modest or Adamant Altaria (probably both), Bold Skarmory w/Sturdy & Brave Bird and an Adamant Mawile w/Sucker Punch.
Ok so instead you should first try out Adamant Talonflame, Modest Sylveon, Jolly Medicham, Adamant Altaria (my favourite), and Impish Skarmory (because Bold lowers physical attack). Those other natures aren't optimal imo.

If it would make a difference, I could list all the pokemon I already bred and readied for battle, but I don't want to take up a ton of space on here and I haven't used html in so long that I can't remember how to make a link to a table or notepad or such. I'll probably keep hitting up Heatran and Cressila at night to try and get good versions of those too.
Here's the Smogon BB Code Help List. You can also just use the buttons at the top of the post editing box, they all insert the correct BB code for you... If you want to have a list of stuff in a spoiler tag you can do something like this:

[hide=Mons you've bred]
Serperior @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 116 HP / 220 Def / 172 Spe
Timid Nature
- Reflect
- Synthesis
- Leaf Storm
- Glare

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Horn Drill

Etc.[/hide]

to make this:

Serperior @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 116 HP / 220 Def / 172 Spe
Timid Nature
- Reflect
- Synthesis
- Leaf Storm
- Glare

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Horn Drill

Etc.

The amount of time I've spent on trying to get good at 3DS Battle Spot Singles has gotten to be obsessive, but I just want to be good at something for once. I don't want to get to emo, but other parts of my life haven't been going well for a long time so it seems like I'm turning to video games to get some sort of feeling of success and/or accomplishment.
Yeah I find video games to be a good release for stuff like that too. In fact I turned here when I lost my job a while ago for something to do / take my mind off things, which is when my activity here was at its highest and I tried my best to git gud (I'm still not marvellous, lol). The most important thing is to make sure you don't let your failures here get you down irl, otherwise it just defeats the purpose of doing it in the first place and it won't be your 'happy place' or whatever you want to call it. And of course it's always a good idea to take a step back if you feel like you're doing too much!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)