Battle Spot Teambuilding Discussion & Help Thread (read post #453, page 19)

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thank you for helping me with my post cant say, it do looks prettier. :) I understand what you say about dropping EQ and use Sub instead on Mega mence. I remember a battle where I switch in Mence in a EQ choice locked Lando-T. My opponent brought in his Ttar and I DD up on the switch. Then, predicting him to go back Lando (for the Intimidate) I went for Return but he stayed in. Still, after the boost, Return 2 K.O him (and he couldn´t K.O this variant with Ice Punch). So, definitely, enough boosts pierce through everything.

About Aegislash, I think you also have a point. I mean, running sacred Sword has helped me out with things like Chansey, but they couldn’t touch me anyway (they tend to run Seismic Toss as their only attacking move) and the battle should have ended in the same way. Flash Canon seems more logical as I invest in Spa, but do you think that Iron head could be used for the Specially bulky things? What would you recommend the most?

Finally, I do like the Specs Rotom-H a lot, and I was thinking in maximizing Spa because that way the boosts from these items are more notable. I still don´t know if it’s better to run Max Speed (or close to it) instead of Max Hp to outspeed Any type of Breelom (Well, except the Scarf variant but that one is not very common).
Iron Head will be better against Sylveon, (Mega) Gardevoir and Chansey. Perhaps you could reverse Aegislash's build and use a Brave one? Uninvested Iron Head isn't terrible though, its targets are all specialy bulky anyway.

Since I use max HP/SpA I can't really offer any advice on which speed tier to aim for. Your team does seem to have a slight Breloom problem as everything is susceptible to Spore, Suicune is weak to Bullet Seed, and Mega Salamence can't Sub safely in front of it as Rock Tomb breaks his Sub. Perhaps running more speed than Breloom isn't such a horrible idea. You could run 36 HP / 252 SpA / 220 Spe for that then, it does make Rotom a bit frail then, you could perhaps drop some SpA for more HP but I haven't played around with calcs to see what a good balance is.

My mistake, I forgot to mention I changed the moves too.

I went with

- Bullet Punch
- But Bite
- Superpower
- Swords Dance

the set you mentioned is better come to think of it
Bug hits very few common Pokémon hard. Not one of the top 12, and very few other semi-common Pokes. The only things you really get with it are Cress an Lati twins, who already hate Knock Off, and TTar, which takes almost as much from Bullet Punch anyways. There's a reason only 4.8% of Scizor run Bug Bite despite it being a Technician boosted STAB move. If it at least hit Thundy neutrally to eat its berry, that would at least be something, but no.

PikachuVoltage I'd consider making one of Rotom or Ferrothorn specially defensive.

Ferrothorn nature could definitely be changed to Relaxed or Sassy to be even slower.

I'd change Rotom to calm & Ferrothorn to relaxed.

Recently I decided to make a completely new team-it only shares one Pokemon with my old one. I've only played on PS, and am nowhere close to breeding for the stuff on this team since I only have two of the Pokemon ready(and one of those needs EVs+lvling,) but it's done quite well there. I feel like there's a lot I could change, though, and I want to see what other people have to say.

Kangaskhan@Kangaskhanite
Ability:Scrappy<--Parental Bond
EVs:212 HP/ 204 Atk/ 92 Def
Adamant Nature
-Secret Power
-Rock Slide
-Sucker Punch
-Earthquake

The EVs and nature leave Kang fairly slow, but with Secret Power and paralysis support that's usually ok(and the bulk is worth it. W/ a good chance to avoid the 2HKO from 252 Atk Chomp's Outrage, among other things. 180 HP/ 124 Def improves the likelihood of surviving Chomp's Outrage even more, but the loss in special bulk sucks.) 120 speed also isn't too bad. 204 +Atk is all I need for some KOs(forgot what but I spend tons of time running calcs so just trust me), so the rest goes in bulk. Secret Power and Rock Slide have lots of synergy, and Sucker Punch is practically a must(though that makes it predictable.) I picked EQ over Drain Punch mainly for Heatran and the better damage on things that are 2x weak to ground and fighting, since EQ has more BP. I considered Drain Punch for opposing Mega Kangas, Tyranitar, Porygon2, and a few others, but I'm not sure if I should use it or not.

Gyarados@Leftovers
Ability:Intimidate
EVs:244 HP/ 252 Atk/ 12 Def
Adamant Nature
-Waterfall
-Earthquake
-Thunder Wave
-Ice Fang

Gyarados' good bulk, access to T-Wave, and ability to check/counter a lot of prominent things like Blaziken, Talonflame, and Garchomp, makes it seem like an obvious choice. Waterfall is way better than Aqua Tail, and allows for a weak paraflinch combo(only 20%, sadly.) Earthquake is just a great move on anything that gets it and doesn't have a sucky attack/ much better SpA. If Gyara got Rock Slide I might use it instead, but as is I think Ice Fang makes the most sense for the fourth slot. Ice coverage is famous for hitting Chomp, Lando, Mence, and others very hard, and is especially important since Gyara can't do a decent Scald set like some more traditional bulky waters.

Clefable@Sitrus Berry
Ability:Unaware
EVs:244 HP/ 116 Def/ 148 SpD
Calm Nature
-Thunder Wave
-Healing Wish
-Moonblast
-Moonlight

Sitrus Berry is fairly common on Clefable(though Clefable itsself isn't common), and is better so Clef doesn't eat up my Lefties slot. The EVs and Nature survive 252 SpA Mega Gengar's Sludge Bomb(and its Sludge Wave, weirdly enough), and make Thundy's T-bolt a 3HKO(except not really cause Moonlight.) Thunder Wave is obvious since this team likes to spread paralysis, and Healing Wish has been extremely helpful for me, so I'm not keen on the idea of getting rid of it. Moonblast is a very good attack, although it's fairly weak coming from uninvested Clef.

Serperior@Rocky Helmet
Ability:Contrary
EVs:116 HP/ 220 Def/ 172 Spe
Timid Nature
-Leaf Storm
-Synthesis
-Glare
-Reflect

Set from the Strategy Dex. I like Glare a lot for its ability to hit ground types(unbn Zygarde!), and Reflect comes in handy a lot with all the physical attackers running around, and pairs well w/ Rocky Helmet. Synthesis is reliable recovery, and Leaf Storm is the only real reason to use Serperior in the first place.

Exploud@Choice Specs
Ability:Scrappy
EVs: 68 HP/ 236 Def/ 204 SpA
Modest Nature
-Boomburst
-Focus Blast
-Ice Beam
-Overheat

Gigantic power, with paralysis support making up for its low speed, though its still fast enough to outpace a lot of stuff it can really hurt like Hippowdon. The EVs give lots of power-I don't miss out on any notable KOs running 204 instead of 252 SpA-and the bulk means 252 Atk Mega Kangaskhan has a 6.3% chance to OHKO with Double-Edge, and Garchomp has an 18.8% chance to OHKO w/ CB Outrage. Boomburst is a given on Exploud, the main reason it sees any use. Ice Beam is pretty obvious, too, hitting all those Ice weak Pokes(who typically can't KO cause of the defensive investment.) Overheat is my only fire attack for the whole team, and any team should have at least one. The SpA drop is awful, but the power is great, roasting even the most specially bulky of Ferrothorn's(a feat not all fire type moves, even some fairly strong ones, can boast.) Exploud has a good movepool, but the last slot is not that useful. I went Focus Blast because EQ w/ no Atk investment is not doing much to anything, and this is Specs anyways. Other coverage moves like Shadow Ball and Surf are mostly useless, since they have bad 4x SE coverage, and neutral Boomburst is stronger than 2x SE Surf or Shadow Ball.

Gliscor@Toxic Orb
Ability:Poison Heal
EVs: 228 HP/ 68 Def/ 212 Spe
Impish Nature
-Substitute
-Protect
-Earthquake
-Guillotine

Taken off the Strategy Dex. Gliscor is extremely annoying, so I figured I should use it. It has fairly good synergy w/ my team, and can wall a lot of stuff. I wish I could afford to run Lefties on this guy(and figure something else out for Gyara), but unfortunately relying on the opponent to use Toxic isn't a very good idea(or is it?), and Gliscor is also immune to Toxic Spikes. This set does struggle with most opposing subbers, though, and there's a lot of stuff it can't even hit(Sturdy Skarmory, Crobat, Gengar, etc.) Is Toxic or Guillotine preffered on the last slot? For me it seems like it should be Guilotine, but they both kinda suck IMO.

So there you have it. This team has been doing a little better on PS than my last one, but I think there's room for improvement. The biggest problem I face w/ any team, though, is picking the wrong three to go to battle. I always want to use everything cause it all has a use(I especially always want to bring Clef-for Heling Wish-and Gyara-for Intimidate.)

EDIT: Replaced Serperior w/ Dragonite.

Dragonite@Lum Berry
Ability:Multiscale
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 4 Def/ 220 Spe
Adamant Nature
-Dragon Dance
-Earthquake
-Outrage
-Extremespeed

This is the suggested spread I got when I entered the four moves I was planning on, and I added 4 EVs to Def cause there were 4 left over from the suggested spread(so it's suggesting not to use all 508 EVs?) Lum Berry is because Dragonite, and my team as a whole, is quite ruined by burns.

Last edited:
the image is upside down! I do approve of Avalugg though, I'd like to see a full RMT posted sometime (that forum desperately needs a solid BSS RMT there!)
Huh what do you mean? Which forum? And this is my team.

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Power Gem
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast

Avalugg @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Ice Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Hail
- Avalanche
- Recover
- Toxic

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Yawn
- Slack Off
- Rock Slide

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 124 SpA / 60 SpD
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Recover
- Calm Mind

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Sword
- Iron Head
- Shadow Sneak
- King's Shield

Clefable @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Unaware
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Fire Blast
- Thunder Wave
- Healing Wish

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Modest Nature
- Power Gem
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast

Avalugg @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Ice Body
Impish Nature
- Hail
- Avalanche
- Recover
- Toxic

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Yawn
- Slack Off
- Rock Slide

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 124 SpA / 60 SpD
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Recover
- Calm Mind

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Sword
- Iron Head
- Shadow Sneak
- King's Shield

Clefable @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Fire Blast
- Thunder Wave
- Healing Wish
http://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/oras-other-teams.292/

A few of your Pokemon look interesting, Power Gem on Ampharos is used for what, Volcarona? Have you thought about dropping it for something like Thunder Wave or Volt Switch? Hippowdon doesn't really need Rock Slide, why not Rock Tomb, Stealth Rock or Whirlwind? Is Clefable built to beat Breloom and that's it? You could put Safety Goggles on Aegislash and he'd do the same thing, and then you would have a whole teamslot free. Avalugg looks really interesting, have you saved any replays of it in action?

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Modest Nature
- Power Gem
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast
Having used Clefable and Avalugg, I can tell you to check their EV spreads. I use 244 HP/ 116 Def/ 148 SpD on Clef, and I used 252/ 132 Atk/ 124 Def on Avalugg(pretty sure, I don't have the set anywhere to confirm.) EV spreads like this can avoid OHKOs and 2HKOs from prominent things while capatalizing on a Pokemon's stats(for instance, Cleef's base SpD is higher than its Def, so a Calm nature to boost the higher stat. Avalugg already has gargantuan physical bulk, so it doesn't need full investment, meaning you can run some attack to get certain KOs/higher likelihood of certain KOs.

I have to agree w/ cant say on Power Gem. It seems like a move that should work, but it's only 80BP vs the 90 BP of moves like Flamethrower an Thunderbolt. Granted, Ampharos' special movepool is somewhat lacking, but you can go mixed w/ Fire Punch, run Rain Dance and Thunder, or maybe even Sleep Talk for sleep-inducers so you can get rid of Safety Goggles completely.

Other than the EVs, my Clef has Moonlight instead of Fire Blast. I see why you want a fire move on at least one Pokemon, since not having any leaves you fairy weak to things like Scizor and Ferrothorn, but Clef is ruined by steels anyways, so I don't think it's a gpod idea for Clef. Definitely move the Safety Goggles, maybe to Aegis, or get rid of them altogether. A Sitrus Berry works good on Clef.

DO NOT use Ice Body on Avalugg, Sturdy is way better, and even Own Tempo is superior for Swaggering Pranksters. Other than that, this team looks good-few common weaknesses and stuff. BTW, you should add the nature for Reuniclus.

I'm currently running this team:

Blaziken (M) @ Blazikenite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- High Jump Kick
- Stone Edge
- Protect

My main attacker, Protect works with Speed Boost to well... boost his speed. Stone Edge is coverage for flying types.

Garchomp (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Dual Chop
- Outrage
- Stone Edge

Mainly to take out other Dragon types as well as give coverage with Earthquake when needed.

Rotom-Wash @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest

Gives support and helps deal with water types and pokemon that could outspeed Blaziken.

Aegislash @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Substitute
- King's Shield
- Toxic
- Shadow Ball

Substitute plus King's Shield plus Leftovers puts up a wall while toxic or burn takes out pokemon.

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Grass Knot

Coverage for Psychic, Fairy, and Fire types,

Manectric-Mega @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]

I put this in to deal with a couple of the pokemon that give me the most trouble, Talonflame and Mega-Slowbro, I'm not sure if it's the best option though.

I usually bring in Blaziken and Aegislash, and choose between Garchomp and Rotom-W. I need help cause I have a lot of trouble with Talonflame and Slowbro, specially slowbro, which just seems to cripple my team, It's just so bulky, and there's not much my pokes can do about it. I've also had trouble with pokemon that put my pokemon to sleep and i thought about adding a pokemon with access to heal bell. Is this a good option?

You don't have any physical wall to counter all the top threats such as mence, kangaskhan, garchomp so maybe you could change rotom's nature to bold and invest in defense and hp. And I feel manectric is a great counter to slowbro as well as talonflame. Slowbro can't paralyze manectric with t-wave and since it is a special attacker a WoW from talonflame wouldn't matter much.

252 SpA Mega Manectric Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Slowbro: 192-228 (95 - 112.8%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO (Most slowbros are physically bulky)
252 SpA Mega Manectric Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 100 SpD Talonflame: 186-222 (100.5 - 120%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Talonflame can't OHKO manectric either even with a choice band
-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Manectric: 97-115 (66.8 - 79.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Also heal bell isn't so great in 3v3 since it is very fast paced. Maybe instead of choice band you could give chomp a lum berry and replace dual chop by swords dance. I'm guessing the pokemon that puts you to the sleep the most is breloom which is usually a lead so whenever you see a breloom you could lead with lum berry garchomp.

OK, so here's what I think:

Blaziken: Move the 4 Def to SpD for Download Pokemon. Other than that there's not much I can say since your set is very standard.

Garchomp: Everything looks fine except for Dual Chop. I get paranoid about sub users too, but Dual Chop is pretty crumby against them(and is worse against everything else.) Lots of sub users(Whimsicott, Gliscor, Aegislash, etc.), won't have their subs broken by the first hit, and even those few subbers who get their subs broken by the first hit will only be damaged by the second, which won't do much . There are sash user it helps you with like Breloom, but I agree w/ aniravjain that Lum Comp would be better for Breloom(I'd run SD since the first turn you'll get it down to its sash, then it'll try to Spore and you'll activate Lum. 2nd turn Bre will Mach Punch you cause it's too slow to go for another Spore, so it'll kill itself w/ Rough Skin recoil,) Though if you're determined to keep CB I'd run something like Fire Fang over Dual Chop.

Rotom-W: You're missing 252 EVs here. Again have to agree w/ aniravjain on going Bold cause physical attackers tend to be more of a problem than special ones. Running T-Wave seems weird to me cause the majority of your team is very fast, and you don't want two status attacks on Rotom-W. I'd opt for Hydro Pump over T-Wave.

Aegislash: Mostly good. SubToxic looks fin, and Lefties are perfect w/ King's Shield. Check you EV spread, though-you're missing 4 EVs, and you want to be sure you can survive certain hits even if the opponent isn't burned or at -2 Atk from KS. You also might want some SpA for Gengar.

Greninja: Seems fine to me, though I'd rather go mixed. Move the 4 HP to SpD unless they accmoplish something(doubtful.)

Nothing else to add. Your team doesn't seem very Talon or Slowbro weak to me. Slowbro in particular fears a SE attack from 4 Pokes, all of which prey on its weaker SpD. Blaziken and Garchomp are ruined by it, but you are still good against it overall. Talon beats Blaziken and Greninja(is it reasonable to have enough Def to survive 252+ CB Brave Bird? IDK if that's even possible, but see if you can tweak the set to survive BB from other Talon sets on the Strategy Dex, though you probably already survive Rocky Helmet Talon's BB,) get beat by it, but Chomp, Rotom-W, and Manectric all beat it(w/ Rotom-W being a counter to it,) and Aegislash also has a chance. Heal Bell is not a good idea in BSS for the most part, but Healing Wish and Lunar Dance are, so you could consider Clefable or Cresselia.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/oras-other-teams.292/

A few of your Pokemon look interesting, Power Gem on Ampharos is used for what, Volcarona? Have you thought about dropping it for something like Thunder Wave or Volt Switch? Hippowdon doesn't really need Rock Slide, why not Rock Tomb, Stealth Rock or Whirlwind? Is Clefable built to beat Breloom and that's it? You could put Safety Goggles on Aegislash and he'd do the same thing, and then you would have a whole teamslot free. Avalugg looks really interesting, have you saved any replays of it in action?
Because i have both hail and sand in my team, safety goggles is also for not getting hit by weather damage for clefable so is functioning like leftovers in that case, wich is extremely helpful, and for a side node it helps with spore but thats more a sideeffect.

Power gem is really nice for volcarona, who often quiver dances on the first move then gets destroyed and its helpful for coverage for other mons like thundurus. Why should voltswitch be better? My pokemon are pretty bulky anyway so dont really benefit from the free switch i think.

Oh yeah rock tomb is maybe better indeed for lowering speed, but my pokes are all kinda slow so i dont know how often it will be good and it has more damage and a flinch chance, but if it ko'es charizard y and talonflame im happy anyways, but i just checked and it does not.

Yeah here is a replay where avalugg is pretty dominant: CCZG-WWWW-WW3B-7LS4 against a scizor, garchomp and mega gyarados, where you also can see ice body is very helpful while recovering back damage while toxic is eating away hp of the attacking pokemon.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, Lum Berry sounds like a great solution to Breloom (which in was in fact was who was putting me to sleep) and yeah, I put Dual Chop cause I thught it'd help with Sub but I haven't used it once succesfully, so SD sounds like the better alternative. I'll play around with it and tell you guys how it goes.

So i recently participated in an online competetion (Festive Feud) and althought i inly played 4 matches i had a blast so i decided i would play more often on the battlespot. This is the team i've come up with so far.

Sceptile @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Rock Slide/HP Ground/HP Ice
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast

The mega evolution of my team, has pretty good coverage although i'm still not sure about what should go on the second slot. Rock Slide would OHKO Volcarona and M-Zard Y, HP Ice would deal more damage to fellow grass types and maybe OHKO M-Salamence and Garchomp granted it is not holding a focus sash. Finally HP Ground would deal with Heatran or frailer steel types.

Suicune @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Reflect
- Shadow Ball/Rest

I found this baby in the "break that core" thread, it makes garchomp a M-Kangaskhan kill themseleves by hitting it too much without success and killing themselves in the process or deciding not to switch and taking potential burns or ice beams in the case of garchomp. Shadow ball is just a filler in case Suicune has to deal with Gengar/M-Gengar not sure if ti would OHKO it haven't done the calculations.

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Calm Mind
- Confuse Ray
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Well this guy is only here beacuse i love Bronzong and i feel like it can setup on Garchomp or maybe Bulky special attackers like suicune. Not much too say i know there are way better pokemon than Bronzong, feel free to give feedback on this guy.

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Taunt

Heatran is here for the sole purpose of getting rid of Sylveon and M-Gardevoir or maybe other pesky fairy types. Everything is pretty standard including the spread so maybe you guys can help me improve it.

Sableye @ Mental Herb
Ability: Prankster
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Fake Out

With the abundance of Physical threats in Battle spot this guy was a no brainer after much success for me using him in VGC. Garchomp and M-Kanga aren't as fearsome once they are burned and even if they switch out the following pokemon is at risk of getting Knocked off.

Granbull @ Lum Berry/Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Superpower
- Thunder Fang
- Earthquake/Bulk Up

Same story as Bronzong this big guy is here just beacuse i Love Granbull but i also felt he actually stands a chance here, intimidate is pretty good in this physical heavy meta and with the bulk investment it can Take almost any hit and KO back with a super effective move as his moveset is pretty varied. I'm not sure if bulk up can be used as Granbull is not exactly fast in order to take more than a hit from one of the greater physical monsters.

Well that's it i know Bronzong and Granbull are not the best choices but i really like them and i guess BS encourages trying different things so there you have my team. Hope you guys can help me improve it.

Very interesting team. Sceptile's 2nd move is a tough choice since it has a badish special movepool. EQ might work, though 252 SpA HP ground might outdamage 4 Atk EQ. I'd check that. No paralysis support makes me think Rock Slide is a bad idea-either go EQ w/ the spread you have, or run HP Ice. I'd also move some EVs from Spe to Atk if going mixed and put Tailwind on Suicune cause Rest is subpar w/o Chesto Berry or Sleep Talk. Bronzong's an interesting Pokemon. Once upon a time it was great, or at least pretty good, but the buff to ghost and dark type moves hurts it a lot. I would say don't use it, but if you're adamant about using it, use a different set. Going physical is probably a good idea w/ Zong's higher atk, and Explosion is great for being a really strong move that brings something in safely after Bronzong sets up TR, Screens, Gravity, or any combination thereof. It also pairs well w/ EQ, since that's SE vs Mega Gengar, Steel, and rock types. Your Zong is also misssing EVs. Heatran looks ok. The speed seems excessive, but IDK. I'd run Lava Plume over Flamethrower. Also make sure to put the remaining 4 EVs in SpD for Download Pokes. Sableye looks good, except get rid of Fake Out for Recover, since Fake Out does tiny damage. Granbull is another interesting choice. I'd say Close Combat>Superpower, and don't use Bulk Up even if you go Lum Berry, cause Granbull lacks bulk, especially on the special side. While either CC or EQ make sense, don't run them together. Wild Charge is probably better than T-Punch, I'd run calcs to see if it scores any specific KOs. Lastly, have you given any thought to a Rattled set? Your team attracts all the types that activate it, to some extent(though you shouldn't switch Granbull in on ghost type moves.) If you manage to switch Granbull in on Mega Heracross' Pin Missile for instance...well, that would mean nothing unless you could either KO it or avoid a KO from it after a Pin Missile. Still, it could be good. There's also a Granbull set in the Victim of the Week thread that I like, maybe try that.

One final note is to run lots of calcs to find the best EV spread for everything. All your team is going 252/252, which is usually not the best unless it's for a sweeper, and rarely then if it's a mixed one.

Thank you so much for the feedback!

I was really unsure about the second slot on sceptile but i guess i'll be keeping rock slide, here are some calculations (forgive me if some of these don't make sense at all, i've always been bad at EV Spreads so most of the time i just take samples from existing sets):

-4 Atk Mega Sceptile Rock Slide vs. 72 HP/0 Def Volcarona: 176 - 208 (104.1 - 123.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
-4 Atk Mega Sceptile Rock Slide vs. 0 HP/0 Def Mega Charizard Y: 156 - 184 (102 - 120.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
-4 Atk Mega Sceptile Rock Slide vs. 0 HP/0 Def Mega Beedrill: 124 - 148 (88.6 - 105.7%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO <-- This one is not as good as i thought

I'm seriously considering on following your advice on Tailwind for suicune, is there any other option i could use instead?

I feel like keeping fake out on Sableye is a good idea as it may even help me to break a focus sash on some things. I considered recover at one time to maybe stall some physical attackers.

I'll definetely swap T-fang for Wild Charge now and it seems a choice band can make Granbull pretty destructive, here are some calcs (again sorry if the calculations are weird):

252+ Atk Choice Band Granbull Wild Charge vs. 252 HP/252+ Def Suicune: 106 - 126 (51.2 - 60.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO <-- Not sure if most Suicunes run this spread, but i guess this would be the worst case scenario.
252+ Atk Choice Band Granbull Wild Charge vs. 0 HP/0 Def Suicune: 144 - 170 (82.3 - 97.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO <-- Too bad it can't OHKO an offensive Variant.
252+ Atk Choice Band Granbull Wild Charge vs. 0 HP/0 Def Mega Charizard Y: 196 - 232 (128.1 - 151.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Granbull Wild Charge vs. 252 HP/252+ Def Leftovers Milotic: 134 - 158 (66.3 - 78.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers
252+ Atk Choice Band Granbull Play Rough vs. 0 HP/0 Def Mega Salamence: 192 - 228 (112.9 - 134.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Granbull Play Rough vs. 0 HP/0 Def Mega Salamence: 128 - 152 (75.3 - 89.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Granbull Play Rough vs. 0 HP/0 Def Garchomp: 168 - 200 (91.8 - 109.3%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Granbull Earthquake vs. 0 HP/0 Def Aegislash-B: 304 - 358 (225.2 - 265.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Granbull Earthquake vs. 252 HP/0 Def Aegislash: 126 - 150 (75.4 - 89.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Definetely Granbull can be very strong at the Battlespot, but i'd rather take the intimidate so that it can take boosted hits from big threats like Chomp or M-Kangah and KO it back with a super effective move. I'll still check the set on the thread you told me (if i can find it beacuse i just recently started posting here again and i'm kinda lost).

Oh and about Bronzong i'll stick to that moveset to see how good it does, if it nets me way too many losses i'll follow your advice or replace Bronzong completely. If i do with what pokemon should i replace it?

Last edited:
Most Suicune do go 252/252+(or at least very bulky physically, even if they're not 252.) Another good option for your Suicune is Mirror Coat, since your team is not very specially bulky and MR takes advantage of Suicune's lesser SpD. Intimidate is certainly a fine option for Granbull, and I'm pretty sure it's preffered over Rattled in most cases. I just thought Rattled might be interesting, maybe I'll try it someday. I'm not really sure what Bronzong accomplishes. It does beat Garchomp, or at least force it out, but your team doesn't really have problems w/ Chomp, and there are better counters besides. A good replacement for it would be something immune/resistant to ground that's specially bulky(or at least has decent special bulk) and beats Mega Gengar(ideally being immune to one of its STABs.) Ironically, Bronzong would fulfill such a role if ghost wasn't neutral to steel now. Aegislash works for this, as does Mega Kangaskhan.

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
So i recently participated in an online competetion (Festive Feud) and althought i inly played 4 matches i had a blast so i decided i would play more often on the battlespot. This is the team i've come up with so far.

Sceptile @ Sceptilite
Naive Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast

The mega evolution of my team, has pretty good coverage although i'm still not sure about what should go on the second slot. Rock Slide would OHKO Volcarona and M-Zard Y, HP Ice would deal more damage to fellow grass types and maybe OHKO M-Salamence and Garchomp granted it is not holding a focus sash. Finally HP Ground would deal with Heatran or frailer steel types.

Suicune @ Rocky Helmet
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Reflect
- Shadow Ball/Rest

I found this baby in the "break that core" thread, it makes garchomp a M-Kangaskhan kill themseleves by hitting it too much without success and killing themselves in the process or deciding not to switch and taking potential burns or ice beams in the case of garchomp. Shadow ball is just a filler in case Suicune has to deal with Gengar/M-Gengar not sure if ti would OHKO it haven't done the calculations.

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Calm Mind
- Confuse Ray
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Well this guy is only here beacuse i love Bronzong and i feel like it can setup on Garchomp or maybe Bulky special attackers like suicune. Not much too say i know there are way better pokemon than Bronzong, feel free to give feedback on this guy.

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Taunt

Heatran is here for the sole purpose of getting rid of Sylveon and M-Gardevoir or maybe other pesky fairy types. Everything is pretty standard including the spread so maybe you guys can help me improve it.

Sableye @ Mental Herb
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Fake Out

With the abundance of Physical threats in Battle spot this guy was a no brainer after much success for me using him in VGC. Garchomp and M-Kanga aren't as fearsome once they are burned and even if they switch out the following pokemon is at risk of getting Knocked off.

Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Superpower
- Thunder Fang
- Earthquake/Bulk Up

Same story as Bronzong this big guy is here just beacuse i Love Granbull but i also felt he actually stands a chance here, intimidate is pretty good in this physical heavy meta and with the bulk investment it can Take almost any hit and KO back with a super effective move as his moveset is pretty varied. I'm not sure if bulk up can be used as Granbull is not exactly fast in order to take more than a hit from one of the greater physical monsters.

Well that's it i know Bronzong and Granbull are not the best choices but i really like them and i guess BS encourages trying different things so there you have my team. Hope you guys can help me improve it.
You desperately need a good Talonflame counter so that Sceptile doesn't get outright destroyed by every team with one, Heatran can be given Ancient Power to do that, use it over Taunt since that has pretty much no use. You can give him a Choice Specs too if you want, it gives him some much needed oomph. Flamethrower isn't the best fit for him, he should run Fire Blast for more power, or Lava Plume for the better burn chance. Flamethrower is in this weird category between both moves where it doesn't really do anything special.

Running Bronzong at all, let alone with Heatran, is a poor choice, especially a Calm Mind variant. He's usually used to set Trick Room and explode so a sweeper can get in, but you have no quality Trick Room sweepers and Sceptile is hampered greatly by it. I recommend either letting go of him or building a more Bronzong-esque team instead of just slapping him on there coz you like him.

Your Sableye build is also a little odd. Mental Herb is a poor choice, if you ditch / change Bronzong then give him the Leftovers. Fake Out is a silly option in Singles for Sableye since it does such poultry damage and he doesn't benefit from the flinch at all. Recover would be a much better option for him so he can burn and stall stuff for way longer.

Shadow Ball on Suicune is bad, Rest without Chesto Berry or Sleep Talk isn't ideal either. For that last slot you could try Roar or Tailwind. One of the most successful ladderers here uses Icy Wind over Ice Beam on his Reflect + Rocky Helmet Suicune so perhaps consider using that.

Recently I decided to make a completely new team-it only shares one Pokemon with my old one. I've only played on PS, and am nowhere close to breeding for the stuff on this team since I only have two of the Pokemon ready(and one of those needs EVs+lvling,) but it's done quite well there. I feel like there's a lot I could change, though, and I want to see what other people have to say.

Kangaskhan@Kangaskhanite
Ability:Scrappy<--Parental Bond
EVs:212 HP/ 204 Atk/ 92 Def
Adamant Nature
-Secret Power
-Rock Slide
-Sucker Punch
-Earthquake

The EVs and nature leave Kang fairly slow, but with Secret Power and paralysis support that's usually ok(and the bulk is worth it. W/ a good chance to avoid the 2HKO from 252 Atk Chomp's Outrage, among other things. 180 HP/ 124 Def improves the likelihood of surviving Chomp's Outrage even more, but the loss in special bulk sucks.) 120 speed also isn't too bad. 204 +Atk is all I need for some KOs(forgot what but I spend tons of time running calcs so just trust me), so the rest goes in bulk. Secret Power and Rock Slide have lots of synergy, and Sucker Punch is practically a must(though that makes it predictable.) I picked EQ over Drain Punch mainly for Heatran and the better damage on things that are 2x weak to ground and fighting, since EQ has more BP. I considered Drain Punch for opposing Mega Kangas, Tyranitar, Porygon2, and a few others, but I'm not sure if I should use it or not.

Gyarados@Leftovers
Ability:Intimidate
EVs:244 HP/ 252 Atk/ 12 Def
Adamant Nature
-Waterfall
-Earthquake
-Thunder Wave
-Ice Fang

Gyarados' good bulk, access to T-Wave, and ability to check/counter a lot of prominent things like Blaziken, Talonflame, and Garchomp, makes it seem like an obvious choice. Waterfall is way better than Aqua Tail, and allows for a weak paraflinch combo(only 20%, sadly.) Earthquake is just a great move on anything that gets it and doesn't have a sucky attack/ much better SpA. If Gyara got Rock Slide I might use it instead, but as is I think Ice Fang makes the most sense for the fourth slot. Ice coverage is famous for hitting Chomp, Lando, Mence, and others very hard, and is especially important since Gyara can't do a decent Scald set like some more traditional bulky waters.

Clefable@Sitrus Berry
Ability:Unaware
EVs:244 HP/ 116 Def/ 148 SpD
Calm Nature
-Thunder Wave
-Healing Wish
-Moonblast
-Moonlight

Sitrus Berry is fairly common on Clefable(though Clefable itsself isn't common), and is better so Clef doesn't eat up my Lefties slot. The EVs and Nature survive 252 SpA Mega Gengar's Sludge Bomb(and its Sludge Wave, weirdly enough), and make Thundy's T-bolt a 3HKO(except not really cause Moonlight.) Thunder Wave is obvious since this team likes to spread paralysis, and Healing Wish has been extremely helpful for me, so I'm not keen on the idea of getting rid of it. Moonblast is a very good attack, although it's fairly weak coming from uninvested Clef.

Serperior@Rocky Helmet
Ability:Contrary
EVs:116 HP/ 220 Def/ 172 Spe
Timid Nature
-Leaf Storm
-Synthesis
-Glare
-Reflect

Set from the Strategy Dex. I like Glare a lot for its ability to hit ground types(unbn Zygarde!), and Reflect comes in handy a lot with all the physical attackers running around, and pairs well w/ Rocky Helmet. Synthesis is reliable recovery, and Leaf Storm is the only real reason to use Serperior in the first place.

Exploud@Choice Specs
Ability:Scrappy
EVs: 68 HP/ 236 Def/ 204 SpA
Modest Nature
-Boomburst
-Focus Blast
-Ice Beam
-Overheat

Gigantic power, with paralysis support making up for its low speed, though its still fast enough to outpace a lot of stuff it can really hurt like Hippowdon. The EVs give lots of power-I don't miss out on any notable KOs running 204 instead of 252 SpA-and the bulk means 252 Atk Mega Kangaskhan has a 6.3% chance to OHKO with Double-Edge, and Garchomp has an 18.8% chance to OHKO w/ CB Outrage. Boomburst is a given on Exploud, the main reason it sees any use. Ice Beam is pretty obvious, too, hitting all those Ice weak Pokes(who typically can't KO cause of the defensive investment.) Overheat is my only fire attack for the whole team, and any team should have at least one. The SpA drop is awful, but the power is great, roasting even the most specially bulky of Ferrothorn's(a feat not all fire type moves, even some fairly strong ones, can boast.) Exploud has a good movepool, but the last slot is not that useful. I went Focus Blast because EQ w/ no Atk investment is not doing much to anything, and this is Specs anyways. Other coverage moves like Shadow Ball and Surf are mostly useless, since they have bad 4x SE coverage, and neutral Boomburst is stronger than 2x SE Surf or Shadow Ball.

Gliscor@Toxic Orb
Ability:Poison Heal
EVs: 228 HP/ 68 Def/ 212 Spe
Impish Nature
-Substitute
-Protect
-Earthquake
-Guillotine

Taken off the Strategy Dex. Gliscor is extremely annoying, so I figured I should use it. It has fairly good synergy w/ my team, and can wall a lot of stuff. I wish I could afford to run Lefties on this guy(and figure something else out for Gyara), but unfortunately relying on the opponent to use Toxic isn't a very good idea(or is it?), and Gliscor is also immune to Toxic Spikes. This set does struggle with most opposing subbers, though, and there's a lot of stuff it can't even hit(Sturdy Skarmory, Crobat, Gengar, etc.) Is Toxic or Guillotine preffered on the last slot? For me it seems like it should be Guilotine, but they both kinda suck IMO.

So there you have it. This team has been doing a little better on PS than my last one, but I think there's room for improvement. The biggest problem I face w/ any team, though, is picking the wrong three to go to battle. I always want to use everything cause it all has a use(I especially always want to bring Clef-for Heling Wish-and Gyara-for Intimidate.)

EDIT: Replaced Serperior w/ Dragonite.

Dragonite@Lum Berry
Ability:Multiscale
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 4 Def/ 220 Spe
Adamant Nature
-Dragon Dance
-Earthquake
-Outrage
-Extremespeed

This is the suggested spread I got when I entered the four moves I was planning on, and I added 4 EVs to Def cause there were 4 left over from the suggested spread(so it's suggesting not to use all 508 EVs?) Lum Berry is because Dragonite, and my team as a whole, is quite ruined by burns.
I like your team! Isn't it a bit weak to gengar though? If it has will-o-wisp most of your mons are pretty much toast, and clefable can not do a lot to it so that only leaves exploud, who can not switch in on a sludge bomb and is slower (if gengar is not paralysed). Before you change your team because of my note, try it out on the ladder and see if it is correct that gengar is a too big threat.

I replaced Gliscor and Dragonite w/ Machamp and Togekiss, and while that's helped my team, it does little for Gengar. I have tested this on PS, and done a few battles on cart, and I've been winning more than I'm losing and have a decent rating. Gengar is definitely a problem, at least if it has WoW. Explod can't switch in thanks to Mega Gengar's ability, and if it's not mega I still can't really switch in anyways for fear of a Sludge Bomb. Exploud can revenge it, though, and has been one of my most useful Pokemon besides. It ignores Subs, which means it can 1v1 Mega Gengar in any likely situation. Clef can't do anything to Gengar but T-Wave(God help me if it subs, but it can restore something to perfect condition w/ Healing Wish, or at the very least bring in Exploud safely. I think I'm not so bad against Gengar that I really need to change anything, and I don't have too many other problems, so I think I'm OK.

I should specify the sets for my Machamp and Togekiss.

Machamp is Adamant w/ an AV. I don't remember the exaxt EVs(can them from PS later,) but I know it's 252 Atk w/ the rest split between HP and Def. I'm not exactly sure what caused me to start using it. One thing is that it ignores evasion boosts w/ No Guard. The biggest thing off is a 100% accurate 100BP STAB move that always confuses. Togekiss is physically bulky, w/ a Bold nature and Leftovers. The moves are T-Wave, Encore, Roost, and Air Slash. One huge reason I added it is I love Encore. T-Wave support is also very appreciated by my team, and Air Slash makes it more likely the opponent will flinch then move. Speaking of Air a Slash, it's far and away Togekiss' best move, and since fairy coverage doesn't pair too well w/ flying, I decided to just use AS and not invest in SpA. EVs on Toge go mostly to physical bulk, w/ some speed for a couple things.

Last edited:

Sceptile @ Sceptilite
Naive Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast

Suicune @ Rocky Helmet
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Reflect
- Shadow Ball/Rest

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Calm Mind
- Confuse Ray
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Taunt

Sableye @ Mental Herb
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Fake Out

Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Superpower
- Thunder Fang
- Earthquake/Bulk Up

Apart from omastar, i think rock slide will be crucical to charizardy y and volcarona which are both pretty common and you can ko without getting hurt which means a real deal. Bronzong is a very interesting choice, defensive a really unique mon which is why even in ubers it is a good mon, i only would go for another set with a sassy nature and gyro ball cause it is so slow! Drop fake-out on sableye, this isn't doubles (oh crap i think you are playing doubles you didnt say it before so i assumed singles xd).

Oh, it's Doubles! Didn't realize since I'm not familiar w/ Festive Feud(I've heard Wide Guard's good, which obviiously means not singles, but my mind wasa elsewhere. Rock Slide did seem Kind of weird on Sceptile, even if I think it might be ok. That so explains Fake Out. But isn't Festive Feud red, green, and white Pokes? Kinda busy atm, will maybe try and look at it from a Doubles perspective later.

None of your pokemon have protect which is absolutely necessary in doubles so try to give some of your pokemon protect. Also although not required but wide guard helps a lot in doubles so maybe you could replace bronzong with wide guard aegislash. This is just a starting point though.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Based on the Pokemon in the team, movesets and lack of Protect I have to say it's definitely a Singles team. If it is Doubles / Triples then sadly, it's a crap team and should be built again from scratch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)