Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Yawn
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock / Earthquake
- Rock Tomb

Hippowdon is a hard counter to Mega Charizard X, and a solid check to Mega Charizard Y. However, Hippowdon is also able to switch these roles quite easily. Depending on Hippowdon's investment, either physical or special, it will be a solid counter to one or the other. This is where the rest of your team comes in! If your team struggles with Char X, then run Defense; if your team struggles with Char Y, then run Special Defense! Hippowdown is typically better suited to take on physical attacks, however, because Rock Tomb KOes Char Y. Anyways, about Hippowdon itself! Rock Tomb catches both on the switch, and Stealth Rock is nice when Hippowdon forces them out with Yawn. Flare Blitz has no chance to 2HKO Hippowdon, while Outrage does the exact same amount. +2 Flare Blitz is not a guaranteed OHKO either. Fire Blast, however, does 2HKO even in Sand. The reason Hippowdon is such a great check is because it can then pivot into a Water-type to take on Charizard Y, as Sand cancels it out. It's rough to predict, admittedly, and Hippowdon absolutely requires teammates to take on the other one if you're using it as your primary check all. Either way, Hippowdon is an excellent stop to them both and should be classified as a check for both, and a counter for both, because it can potentially do one or the other (but not both, sadly).

Garchomp @ Focus Sash
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Att / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
-Stealth Rock
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Rock Tomb

Standard lead Garchomp can make life miserable for either Charizard with Stealth Rock, come in safely on anything but Will-o-Wisp due to sash, always outspeed unless Zard DDs (in which case sash will trigger) and KO ZardX with Outrage or Earthquake, or take out ZardY with Rock Tomb. Against an unknown Charizard, using Earthquake will always allow it to win. If it's ZardY, Garchomp survives the attack then KOs next turn with Rock Tomb. If it's bulky ZardX,

252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 158-188 (85.8 - 102.1%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

it's dead next turn. If Garchomp takes a hit earlier in the match, it would enjoy a slow U-Turn or some other way to get it in safely. Garchomp can either cripple Charizard at the start of the match, outspeed and KO any non-boosted variant, or revenge any Charizard set.

Joint Cena

I swear I'm nice!
I dunno if anyone has said this or not but Mega Altaria is a perfect counter to both Zard forms (X and Y) since Dragon/Fairy ressist both Dragon and Fire coverage that Zard has.

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
Happiness: 0
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Cotton Guard/ Earthquake
- Roost
- Dragon Dance
- Frustration

252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Mega Altaria: 132-156 (37.3 - 44.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Mega Charizard X Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Mega Altaria: 111-131 (31.4 - 37.1%) -- 80.6% chance to 3HKO

While Altaria can deal decent damage to Zard X

252+ Atk Pixilate Mega Altaria Frustration vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard X: 193-228 (64.9 - 76.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As for Zard Y:

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 4 SpD Mega Altaria in Sun: 149-176 (42.2 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

While Mega Altaria can: 252+ Atk Pixilate Mega Altaria Frustration vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard Y: 129-153 (43.4 - 51.5%) -- 6.6% chance to 2HKO

Note: *The bulky Mega Altaria set can counter both Zard X and Zard Y as shown above.*
After a Cotton Guard no Zard X in the world will be able to damage you [not that you ever need a Cotton Guard].Tho after a Cotton Guard, this set can also counter mons such as Blaziken, Kanga, Mega Mence, and other threats that im too lazy to name atm olol.
My 1st time being active and I hope this helps people :))

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This may be a bit too much to ask, but just because Charizard has two Megas, you cannot nominate two sets (1 for each), you should nominate one set that deals with one or the other, or idealy both!

Tagging Joint Cena incase you want to change your nomination :)

edit: I should read things more thoroughly. My point still stands, we should be aiming to check both

Last edited:
This may be a bit too much to ask, but just because Charizard has two Megas, you cannot nominate two sets (1 for each), you should nominate one set that deals with one or the other, or idealy both!

But he did nom one set? He just posted it twice for some reason.

Joint Cena

I swear I'm nice!

edit: I should read things more thoroughly. My point still stands, we should be aiming to check both
It's all cool. I should also read things more thoroughly since I didn't know that this was actually like a nomination thread on how to counter certain mons, cause if that was the case I prob would of made a creative set like unfixable set. I just wanted to help people counter both mega forms of Zards with one mon haha

But he did nom one set? He just posted it twice for some reason.
Yeah that was my bad olol.
I had a specific Mega Altaria set that counter Zard X with an 88hp, 166, and 252 speed set EVs and I completely forgot to edit it out with the bulky set.
In other words, Bulky set was for Zard Y at the time and ^ this set was for Zard X at the time. Now it should all be fix with the bulky set :))

There's also another mon that somewhat counter/check to both Zard forms but since I can only nominate one mon I can't put another set.

Last edited:
Question: If someone nominates a Pokemon, can we still nominate that Pokemon with a 'better' set? Since I mean M-Altaria sorta completely doesn't care about both zards unless zard x specifically has multiple boosts up, which really nothing likes at that point.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Question: If someone nominates a Pokemon, can we still nominate that Pokemon with a 'better' set? Since I mean M-Altaria sorta completely doesn't care about both zards unless zard x specifically has multiple boosts up, which really nothing likes at that point.
If you're just optimising the EVs then no. If you're set is totally different (ie: different moves / nature / playstyle) then I think it should be fine

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Double posting for my set and to open the voting...

Going with unfixable's sandstream theme, I'm gonna have to go with the big bad Ttar

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 84 HP / 12 Atk / 244 Def / 4 SpD / 164 Spe
Impish Nature
- Dragon Dance / Substitute
- Rock Slide / Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Earthquake / Ice Punch

So sandstream is fun coz it gets rid of Char-Y's sun, which weakens its fire moves and stops auto Solar Beam from working, while giving Ttar a huge SpD boost. Any sane Char-Y user would automatically switch out, which will allow for you to set up either a DD or sub so you have the advantage against the next switch in. Rock Slide is the more reliable move as it OHKOs Char-Y, however Stone Edge can be used for the guaranteed OHKO at +0 against frailer Char-X's (68 HP EVs or less). Crunch is there for (Mega) Gengar and Cres and Earthquake is for rounding out the Edge-Quake coverage for things like Aegislash (non-contact option), Heatran, other steels etc... The EVs are specifically tailored to handle the Charizards. 164 Speed lets you outspeed max speed Char-Y at +1, Impish and lots of Defense is to allow you to survive an Outrage or Earthquake from +2 Char-X (with some health to spare), allowing you to Dragon Dance and kill it on the next turn, or just straight up attack it. Only thing you need to watch out for from Char-X is the rare Will-O-Wisp, although most sets are double dance (SD + Flame Charge) with Flare Blitz + Outrage. Tyranitar does even better in a lead matchup since you can pretty much Dragon Dance / Sub for free since they're most likely to switch out, or hit you with a weak move.

I guess that's it, time to vote!
Let's do this! I'm going with unfixable. Hippowdon is a real good mon at the moment and it checks so many things so well (I voted for it when we did Blaziken)

cant say because anti-cress and gengar and while mega altaria is great as anti-zard, if you think of the meta with Gengar and cress everywhere and how much they impact your performance, being able to deal with both of them AND both zards is spectacular. I'm also biased because of my recent interactions with certain perfect counter team movesets of mega gengar and cress I've just faced and lost to as well as zard plus hippo and scarf Gard as well as well built stall and was thinking of making either a Mega Luke team or Mega TTar team (or both) so yeah. cant say

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Holding off on closing this week since I'm not gonna call it a tie with 1 vote each! Come on guys, who you voting for??

Can I vote for myself?

If so, unfixable!

No you can't (say)

don't edit my edit

Last edited by a moderator:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
I'm gonna infract all of you if you make me post a 5-way tie. I need one REAL vote to finish the week and move on...

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
I win, I'm logging myself. Congrats me

This week we'll be focusing on something that's getting more and more popular every season (it's slowly snuck into the top 12 and has now moved up to #9, overtaking everyone's favorite wall; Porygon2!) This weeks victim is Suicune! With a great combination of bulk, power, typing, and support movepool, this thing is becoming a staple on high-ranking player's teams as it can boost and sweep, wall, support, as well as phaze out anything that gives it trouble. How do you make sure it doesn't pull apart your team?

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm honestly not a big fan of Mega Tyranitar as a counter to Charizard as Focus Blast does quite a number to it (it OHKOs cant say's set as it has very little Sp.Def investment). According to the PGL Focus Blast is on 23.6% of Charizards and Charizard-Y is slightly less used than X, meaning it's on about half of Charizard-Ys. That's pretty significant. I think SimicCombine's is better for being able to take on either one far more reliably.

EDIT: oh looks like I'm too late. The people will never know the truth

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 36 SpD / 220 Spe
Calm Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Recover

Nice counter to cune as well as an interesting stall breaker in general. Immune to scald thanks to water absorb. Can burn for some residual damage, or cripple whatever comes in when cune switches out. Taunts to prevent cune from resting or any other shit it likes to pull. Lots of speed to make sure you outspeed and get your taunt off, the extra speed helps for other things you'd like to taunt as well like cress, not just for cune :) also, dont name your jellicents pringles

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
I'm honestly not a big fan of Mega Tyranitar as a counter to Charizard as Focus Blast does quite a number to it (it OHKOs cant say's set as it has very little Sp.Def investment). According to the PGL Focus Blast is on 23.6% of Charizards and Charizard-Y is slightly less used than X, meaning it's on about half of Charizard-Ys. That's pretty significant. I think SimicCombine's is better for being able to take on either one far more reliably.

EDIT: oh looks like I'm too late. The people will never know the truth
Let this be a lesson for all those who think voting is funny (hint: it's not)

Good point about Focus Blast though, I honestly didn't even consider it since I don't run it and actually don't run into it that much, and thought with Sand up that Ttar would tank it. You could probably run the same set (adjusted EV spread though) with a Chople Berry if you're scared of FB. However, once accuracy and damage ranges are taken into consideration, it's almost a 50/50 whether Ttar lives or dies from FB, so I'm still pretty confident in my set

pressure | 252 spa / 4 spd / 252 spe | timid
calm mind | thunderbolt | hidden power ice | volt switch / shadow ball

I chose Raikou as a solid check, borderline counter, to Suicune. Raikou is able to set up Calm Mind alongside Suicune, and it will always come out on top in this continuous boosting through Thunderbolt. Thunderbolt takes a huge chunk right off the bat, and will KO at +1 after being hit at +0 100% of the time. However, what makes Raikou a check instead of a counter is Scald. Scald allows Suicune to wear down Raikou more than appreciated. Although Raikou will come out on top in the end, it doesn't like the potential Scald burn, making setting up and attacking a mindgame in itself. Overall, Raikou can beat Suicune in nearly all situations. The reason it's chosen over Rotom-Wash is because Rotom-Wash can't actually do anything to Suicune, and it will fail to break through it after boosting. Raikou is more solid all around, and has potential to win due to its boosts. Choice Specs, Life Orb, Assault Vest; you name it! Suicune is unlikely to be able to break through its fellow Dog! Do note, however, that Assault Vest is not a common set, it was just to name a few sets that Raikou could alternatively run. Interestingly enough, dual screens sets have a good matchup versus Suicune as well!

Last edited:

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Level: 50
EVs: 196 HP / 102 SpD / 212 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Encore
- Leech Seed
- Substitute

Whimsi can take two Ice Beams after lefties and therefore finds itself able to switch in on Suicune. It can come in on CM with impunity and threaten an Encore or SubSeed the thing to death. If you're very worried about Roar, you can run Taunt over Moonblast or Encore as well.

EVs:
Enough speed to outspeed max speed Lati twins. HP evs make Whimsicott have 160 HP, a leftovers number. The rest is thrown into SpDef. If you guys think there's a more optimal spread, please suggest it.

Damage calcs:
+1 4 SpA Suicune Scald vs. 196 HP / 102 SpD Whimsicott: 35-42 (21.8 - 26.2%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
(35, 36, 36, 36, 36, 37, 37, 38, 39, 39, 39, 39, 40, 40, 41, 42) (Chance of not breaking your 40 HP subs)

4 SpA Suicune Ice Beam vs. 196 HP / 102 SpD Whimsicott: 70-84 (43.7 - 52.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

+1 4 SpA Suicune Ice Beam vs. 196 HP / 102 SpD Whimsicott: 104-124 (65 - 77.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
(Doesn't OHKO after 1 substitute and lefties recovery)

Last edited:
I was gonna post something but then I saw unfixable's post and I just am not gonna say anything anymore.

On the topic of TTar vote though, did that really happen? I was the only 1 who voted other than cant say before he made a request for more votes? I'm a 'dead' man so that makes me sad nobody paid more attention :'(
Perhaps bss is what I'm with here in my grave. -_-

Anyway, further on that topic, every1 who knows me much knows I'm an advocate of Garchomp above all else and if you want some variety, Mega Altaria and Hippowdon. But correct spread TTars can still check Zards other than a +2 ZardX really well so meh let my saltiness to losing to perfect counter movesets of Gengar+Cress cores fuel my vote (well I mentioned it already but ya...)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)