Battle Subway

I am not so much into the PO/Competative game play as much since being deployed in Afghanistan, I can't really get online to play. But I do love the battle subway and love the thread in DST, but it can get muddle up when discussing different things about the BSW.

Since different sets/EV spreads/Items work differently for pokes on the BSW compared to against human players, I think it would be very cool (and help those that like discussing everything about the BSW) if we could get some kind of sub forum, or thread tag about the battle subway/in-game playing. Even for RMT for those that want help with their team instead of posting it in the one thread.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Battle Subway is a form of competitive Pokemon! I wonder if Peterko, Jumpman16, and other active Battle Subway leaders would be up for this. If so, I don't see any reason it shouldn't happen!

So how would I "petition" or get this made? Ask a moderator (wink wink), get so many luvdisks in this thread? HOOK A BROTHA UP SON! lol. Sorry, I've had like 5 cups of this SUPER strong coffee too keep me awake during my shift.

Jumpman16

np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
There probably isn't enough content to warrant an entire subforum. I think a thread format serves the purpose for Tower/Frontier/Subway nicely.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
However this is carried out, this an A+ suggestion. It would be so great to have separate threads for Speed Tiers, opponent movesets, not to mention individual mon threads. Any way to breathe even more life into DST gets a thumbs up from me!

There probably isn't enough content to warrant an entire subforum. I think a thread format serves the purpose for Tower/Frontier/Subway nicely.
Do you mean tags for individual threads?

If so, I think DST would become very cluttered with the amount of things to discuss and important threads can be pushed down far between the discussion of Other, Pokemon, Warstory, Items, etc. just from the PO side of the forums. And it can become confusing, in my head, seeing two threads about, say Suicune.

If you mean a single thread...

We are already doing this, and I don't believe it serves a good purpose for discussion as it can become very cluttered in that thread, as I mentioned. From RMT, to records, to discussion about move sets, even taking out certain NPCs (As frost teams seem to plight the streaks that go far).

I see that RU, UU, LC and other formats of tournaments get entire sub-forums, and in my eyes, Battle Subway is just another format.

The only downfall I can see from this is the amount of people that actively play the Battle Subway. But if we can microscope a little better on details about it, I think more and more people could possible start competing for a top streak slot.

Indeed, the way the Battle Subway, like the Battle Frontiers before it, enforces the Item Clause makes it very different from the "standard" rules we use here. However, if the Gen 4 Battle Frontier (in particular the Tower) only managed to get a thread in Stark--however active--I agree with Jump.

Of note, however: During my latest run, I found that the normal Singles line threw me a Trainer that Serebii listed as appearing only in the Super Singles line at battle 18, in specific Gentleman Trenton. Is the game that desperate to stop me from unlocking those lines, or do I need to call in TRE et al. on this?

Edit: Hey, at least they got rid of that Arceus-forsaken Factory, right?

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
Hey, I liked the Factory!

But seriously, I'd like to see a subforum set up for this. It seems like a really good suggestion.

My only question is: Are there enough threads that could be used in the subforum?

Hey, I liked the Factory!

But seriously, I'd like to see a subforum set up for this. It seems like a really good suggestion.

My only question is: Are there enough threads that could be used in the subforum?
There certainly would be enough threads for a forum, I mean you have the potential for every pokemon (although there wouldn't be everyone), I'd say roughly 50-75 different pokemon that could easily be discussed.

Than you have items. Between Choice items, berries, and other misc items you can use (Lefties, Wide Lens, Razor Claw (lol)), its insane just there.

And than you can have RMT thread/s. I'd rather not see the a sub-forum get clogged up with these, so it would probably only be a single thread.

You'd keep the streak thread, but you could break it down to each line.

The potential for this is crazy. I'm half-tempted to get other ppl to get in this thread to get this made xD lol

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
battle subway is considered competitive given for example that the movesets and ai are vastly improved from previous generations. but streaks are easily manipulated with what has become available since bw, so for us to dedicate a subforum to what is essentially the "battle frontier", would be over doing it in my honest opinion.

Isn't this kind of thing more or less what Social Groups are for? Ignoring all the gimmicky self-categorization that people do with them, they're essentially mini-forums that can be dedicated to even the smallest of things.

Look at Minecraft for example: while there's a thread in a forum where general chat takes place, there's a social group where more specific subjects are discussed that would otherwise clutter the main thread.

So, since a sub-forum is out of the question, try creating a Social Group (or joining the existing one, which is private for some dumb reason), and see about getting it advertised nice and big at the head of the current dedicated thread.

EDIT:
Firestorm said:
Minecraft is outside the scope of Smogon which is why it's a social thread. Battle Subway is competitive battling which is within Smogon's scope so once it becomes unwieldy for a thread it would receive a sub-forum. Currently at least one of the people who take a leading role in the Battle Subway community doesn't think it needs it. So not really that similar.
1) Let me clarify: in no way was I trying to make a call on the subject, I don't have that kind of say and frankly I don't have an opinion on the matter. Given that several authorities had already given it a pass (which is where my "out of the question" remark spawned from), instead of leaving this with a "Not happening, you're SOL" I decided to chime in with Social Groups as a viable alternative.

2) My mention of Minecraft was just an example comparable to the current Battle Subway situation: a single thread of discussion in the forums, but a topic that is broad enough to spawn multiple topics that, if discussed simultaneously, would cause clutter and confusion. It was mentioned to reinforce my suggested alternative of a Social Group, since the Social Group solves those problems for the Minecraft thread; it was not to say Battle Subway doesn't deserve a sub-forum, and it certainly wasn't to say "if Battle Subway gets a sub-forum Minecraft should get one too."

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Isn't this kind of thing more or less what Social Groups are for? Ignoring all the gimmicky self-categorization that people do with them, they're essentially mini-forums that can be dedicated to even the smallest of things.

Look at Minecraft for example: while there's a thread in a forum where general chat takes place, there's a social group where more specific subjects are discussed that would otherwise clutter the main thread.

So, since a sub-forum is out of the question, try creating a Social Group (or joining the existing one, which is private for some dumb reason), and see about getting it advertised nice and big at the head of the current dedicated thread.
Minecraft is outside the scope of Smogon which is why it's a social thread. Battle Subway is competitive battling which is within Smogon's scope so once it becomes unwieldy for a thread it would receive a sub-forum. Currently at least one of the people who take a leading role in the Battle Subway community doesn't think it needs it. So not really that similar.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
It's a great idea in theory, but only if there are actually resources (people) willing to put to the time and effort in writing strategies and keeping the subforum active.

Are there?

If this does happen, I guess I'm willing to put some time and effort writing strategies and keeping it active, since I've sort of been doing that on the subway thread when it's not so busy.

I think just a subway thread (i.e. the current status) is fine too.

It's a great idea in theory, but only if there are actually resources (people) willing to put to the time and effort in writing strategies and keeping the subforum active.

Are there?

Writing strategy is what half the thread is filled with, so it wouldn't really be that hard.

Initially it wouldn't be off to a rocket start, but, as I mentioned, if people see that it is getting picked apart it would probably draw more people in.

atsync

Where the "intelligence" of TRAINERS is put to the test!
is a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogon
I'm kinda on the fence about this idea. Although it would be cool do have a subway subforum, I have never felt that the single thread format was a problem. In fact, are there any other people out there that actually have an issue with have just one thread for the subway? If you can get others out there to agree with you that the current single thread format is an issue then you would have a stronger case, though I see that the idea of a subforum has some support already.

I post regularly in the thread we have now already, so I too would be willing to try keep the subforum as active as possible if it were to happen. However:

You'd keep the streak thread, but you could break it down to each line.
Could we please NOT do this? It would just be easier to keep all the streaks in one thread. If, for example, I have both a singles and a doubles streak to record, I would rather just do it in one thread. Plus, it would be dumb to have a thread for the multi line since it seems to be played and discussed very little. There's a reason why we only have 2 streaks recorded for multi.

The single thread format works, but I know when I am going through looking for strategies, or remember seeing a discussion about a certain pokemon that someone used on a team that sparked a great convo I have to sift through 40+ pages. And its inconvenient.

atsync

Where the "intelligence" of TRAINERS is put to the test!
is a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogon
Couldn't you just use the search function? I can't imagine it would take that long.

Ya, it works, but idk, to me it just seems like it would be so much better to have a subforum because u can then get into deeper discussions and stuff.

Yamata no Orochi

dreamenddischarger
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This sounds like a nice suggestion, a thread with strategies made by other people. But yeah, it would take time for people to make it so the thread wouldn't be that active.

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Honestly, what problem is there with making a subforum for this? Honestly, there are probably more people who have played the Battle Subway than have played Little Cup. (No offense to LC...)

Yeah, there's some worry about actually generating enough activity in the subforum, but if someone cares enough to make a suggestion box thread about this, I think it's very feasible that the Battle Subway subforum could become reasonably active.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)