Battling Seizure Robots

n.b.: This is not a Dream World team. To my recollection, I have not used this particular team in the Dream World ladder, and I don’t intend to do so. Please keep in mind that in PO’s Wi-Fi ladder, teams are revealed, and positions may be changed prior to the first turn, including the lead.
Code:
 * Now talking in #ubers
  * Topic is 'Post your gen5 Uber RMTs
*two weeks later* FFFFF I should go post this now.

Yo. I’ve been holding off on making my first Gen V RMT for two main reasons. First of all, I’ve had a lot on my plate these days. In addition to school and other real life stuff making it hard for me to do much of anything productive on the internet, I have commitments to other game communities and wikis, particularly a wiki that I “run” myself that’s about to get smacked by a game release... but enough about that. The other reason is that I’ve been doing badly on the ladder lately. This team made it to #6 or something, but when November rolled around... well... I don’t know if people suddenly got better or I’m just not that into it anymore, but my win-loss record basically reversed on me. I’ve since recovered back to #6 by laddering against noobs. It’s seriously not surprising that the top 5 is so far above the rest.

This team was originally designed to test Porygon2. Porygon2’s all-purpose nature ironically made it difficult to build a team intended to have it in, but somehow I scraped one up. This team was supposed to be offensive with defensive catches, but Spiky Dude and Porygon2 are just so freaking bulky that I can easily get away with playing the team defensively, even like a stall team, for a while. Nonetheless, the other team members are largely offensively inclined, and the main goal is to create an opening to let Mewtwo in and unleash hell, and then mop up after that. Timing the Mewtwo sweep attempt is probably the hardest thing to determine; I’ll admit that perhaps I’ve been playing too robotically (I don’t even remember double-switching at all), which may have been my downfall recently, and that I should pay more attention to the opposing team.

The thing that frustrates me the most about this team is the myriad of weird technical limitations (and some other limitations) that prevent me from making small changes to test possible improvements to the team. If only Stealth Rock was compatible with Spikes and Leech Seed on Spiky Dude. If only there existed a Ghost-type with Stealth Rock other than Arceus. (Alternatively, if only I could use both Ghost and Normal Arceus!) If only one of these guys other than Arceus had a priority move. If only there existed a Ghost-type with Rapid Spin. If only Porygon2 had just one of Stealth Rock / Will-O-Wisp / Reflect / Light Screen / Whirlwind / whatever else I forgot to mention. Seriously, if ONE of these things happened, life would be so much easier for this team...

TimeDevourer (Arceus) @ Spooky Plate
Nature: Multitype
EVs: 144 Atk / 252 SpA / 112 Spe
Hasty Nature (+Spe, -Def)
- Judgment
- ExtremeSpeed
- Stealth Rock
- Recover

This is my usual lead, made to fight off Deoxys and Mew leads and lay down Stealth Rock, the former being particularly important because of how much my team hates entry hazards. The EVs allow Arceus to outrun all non-Scarf Garchomp. The power isn’t that great for Ubers standards, but it’s decent enough to give opponents trouble, especially since some of them are weak against Judgment. The bulk helps a lot, too, when Arceus has to stall out a rogue Life Orb Dialga or something.

I suppose I could put in more Speed to outrun Lati@s, but I don’t see it as that important. Then again, ExtremeSpeed has been incredibly disappointing against just about everything; it’s only on there because of Deoxys *rages*. Seriously, there are quite a few moves that I could have put in place of ExtremeSpeed, like Will-O-Wisp or a coverage move to actually hit Normal Arceus. I could replace Stealth Rock instead, but I don’t like the idea of giving Rayquaza free admission. I also intended Arceus to double as a spinblocker, but it has rarely been used for that purpose, and that is why I sometimes wonder whether a different plate is warranted.

Spore Spawn (Nattorei) (M) @ Leftovers
Nature: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Sassy Nature (+SpD, -Spe)
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

Spiky Dude is my primary Zekrom check, and it helps against Palkia, other Dragon-types, and even Arceus sometimes. I know that most people buff this guy’s SpD, and perhaps I should, too (I gave it Sassy for a quick buff, but anyways), but it’s really nice to be able to say to such a prominent Uber, “What? Did you say something?” A lot of the worse players try to keep hitting Spiky Dude for some reason while I lay Spikes and Leech Seed, which is rather odd and amusing. However, its utility against special attackers does suffer quite a bit due to its EVs, especially against Kyogre. Kyogre is just too strong, man. I’m also not entirely sure of whether Gyro Ball is worth keeping in instead of, say, Thunder Wave or Toxic. Regardless, Spiky Dude is quite helpful to the team for switching into status moves (especially those aimed at Porygon2) and common attacks in Ubers. I mean, it’s not like I have to worry about not outrunning lv 5 Elekid when paralyzed.

Emerald Weapon (Kyogre) @ Choice Specs
Nature: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature (+SpA, -Atk)
- Water Spout
- Surf
- Thunder
- Ice Beam

This is the nuke of my team. As well as checking Reshiram, its Water Spout can OHKO Zekrom given enough HP. I’m sorry, but I just really love wallbreakers, and Choice Specs Kyogre delivers. Death fodder is annoying, though. Other than that, Kyogre is almost like a gigantic entry hazard, which once again plays into the idea of softening up the opponent.

Sometimes I lead with Kyogre if I expect Groudon to lead the opposition. It really depends on whether I think that I can get away with attempting a gigantic hit early on. I also used to lead with Kyogre against Forretress leads, but they keep using that stupid Custap Berry. Argh, I hate Custap Forretress so much.

SeizureRobot (Porygon2) @ Evolution Stone
Nature: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 132 SpD
Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk)
- Thunder
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Recover

Porygon2 serves its purpose as the team’s centerpiece and panic button pretty well. It can survive two Draco Meteors or a +1 Outrage from Rayquaza, which is epic. As a slight bonus, if it Traces Air Lock from Rayquaza, then it can annoy Palkia, Kyogre and Reshiram, though this may have been more relevant when Porygon2 had Thunder Wave. Admittedly, however, other Pokémon, particularly Arceus, can also achieve these with Will-O-Wisp, and they get Leftovers recovery, too. (Lack of Leftovers recovery is what ultimately prevents me from calling Porygon2 a wall, despite it being quite good at walling some Ubers.) As I mentioned earlier, though, it’s difficult to replace Porygon2 with Arceus because I already have an Arceus. Porygon2 is valuable regardless because it can take on even Arceus and Mewtwo and hold them off with good prediction, so that I actually have half my team or more left when they die to Toxic poison and/or Life Orb recoil. Porygon2 becomes quite a bit less useful against defensive teams due to its fear of Toxic and lack of offensive presence, but it can switch into Chansey or Blissey to rid itself of status.

Maybe I’m a bit biased, but I believe that Porygon2 is worth at least a glance. It has drawbacks similar to Registeel (i.e. it often risks sitting there doing nothing), but IMO Porygon2 has better typing and stats in a world in which Dragon-types always try to carry something to mangle Steel-types. There’s also the great risk of playing like an inferior defensive Normal Arceus or Lugia, but I guess it really depends on the team. If you already have an Arceus, then the option to use defensive Normal Arceus isn’t there, so perhaps in that case you could put in Porygon2 instead. Lugia seems like a good replacement, too, but it makes me wary of mixed Rayquaza. Maybe I’m just being paranoid, though.

Kefka (Mewtwo) @ Life Orb
Nature: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Psycho Break
- Aura Sphere
- Shadow Ball

“Awe-inspiring” barely describes Mewtwo now that it got exactly what it wanted in this generation (Psycho Break). Games often revolve around Mewtwo; for me, it’s when to bring Mewtwo in, and for them, it’s how to force Mewtwo in prematurely or delay its entrance for too long. By “prematurely” I mean early enough to be weakened and then picked off by priority, but on the other hand, if the opponent can get its sweeper going before I can, then Mewtwo’s probably not going to be the answer (opposing Mewtwo are especially dangerous). This is why having panic buttons like Spiky Dude and Porygon2 is important. I also led with Mewtwo a couple of times, though I don’t remember why.

3rdStrongest (Doryuuzu) (M) @ Lum Berry
Nature: Sand Throw
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Mole Dude was a weird pick for me. I wanted a spinner, but I wasn’t so sure about using Forretress taking on a redundant role with Spiky Dude. It became apparent that Mole Dude was probably the closest thing to a good offensive spinner in Ubers. Adding to its appeal is its immunity to both Toxic and Thunder Wave, acting as a backup or alternative status absorber. To help fight Giratina, Lum Berry is used to stave off a burn enough to be able to finish Giratina off. While Mole Dude’s main role is to spin, Swords Dance is there to increase the threat that it poses to the opposing team, at the very least limiting the opponent’s options.

Maximum Speed has been a large factor in Mole Dude’s success. Most of the 90 Base Speed bracket doesn’t maximize Speed except possibly for sweeping purposes or for Choice Scarf, and in fact they don’t invest in enough Speed to outrun this set even with Speed creep. Due to Mole Dude’s relative rarity in Ubers, it would be silly for someone to prepare for it in this way. Mole Dude also outruns Adamant Rayquaza. Fittingly enough, Mole Dude really is the third strongest member of this team based on max(Atk, SpA) and is also the third fastest member.

Dudes I don’t like

Groudon’s here mainly because of unpredictability sufficient enough to make me worry. It might have a Fire-type move for Spiky Dude, or Toxic for Porygon2 and Kyogre. Otherwise, it’s not too bad, unless the opponent actually tries to preserve it and be annoying with it.

FFFFF Scarf/Specs Kyogre. This in particular makes me wonder whether to pump EVs into SpD on Spiky Dude.

This guy is probably on everybody’s list. However, it’s easier to stall out than Normal Arceus is, and my Mewtwo seems to outrun opposing Mewtwo all the time for some reason. Is everybody running Modest? *checks usage stats* Huh...

Well, Mewtwo outruns Darkrai, and people seem to prefer not to risk a Focus Miss on Mole Dude. It’s weird because I’m pretty sure that Darkrai should be a large threat to my team.

It isn’t that threatening alone, but when it has Arceus or Mewtwo as buddies, well, Porygon2 can’t handle them all. I’ve found that Rayquaza can pretty easily sweep my team with Porygon2 gone. Arceus’s Judgment deals 46.8% - 55.2% D:

FFFFF I hate this guy. +6 ExtremeSpeed OHKOes Porygon2 and Spiky Dude lasts just as long against boosted Earthquakes D: I wish that I could fit Will-O-Wisp in somewhere...

ARGH CUSTAP BERRY. Is that even in the game? Thank goodness Explosion got halved.

This is another one who isn’t threatening by herself but is annoying simply because she supports her teammates so well. Her presence reduces my short-term options significantly.

This is here due to ARGH SPIKES MY OWN MEDICINE and annoying stall wars with my own Spiky Dude.

Steel-types are annoying in general because they wall most of my team. Leech Seed and Spikes are good deterrents, as well as Mewtwo and Mole Dude having strong moves against them.

Hey capefeather, this is a nice team but Ho-oh can be annoying to your team too if Kyogre isnt at high health or if Ho-oh subs and Brave bird Kyogre. For Doryuuzu, he still cant 2hko Great Wall Giratina at +2, but you can get past him with that lum berry. If the opponent sets up spikes against you, Lugia can be problematic if you failed to spin, as you need Kyogre to keep Lugia out of the picture, I guess toxic Porygon2 helps. Lustrous Orb Palkia will be a nuisance to your team, especially when you need Mewtwo to deal heavy damage to him or he will spam Spacial rends and fire blasts on your team.
A nicely built team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)