ORAS OU BDrum Ches + VoltTurn

drizzle

formerly henguinie
is a Tiering Contributor
Hey I'm fairly new to SmogForums and I wanted to post a team for RMT! Any thoughts/suggestions are much appreciated.

Chesnaught @ Salac Berry
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 30 HP
- Belly Drum
- Substitute
- Drain Punch
- Seed Bomb
I decided to build this team around Substitute/Salac BDrum Chesnaught. This set is standard to get a Substitute and Belly Drum up while activating the Salac Berry boost, I didn't want to invest 12 in HP to take up valuable Attack or Speed investment. Drain Punch and Seed Bomb are reliable STAB moves having 100% accuracy to avoid missing crucial hits and good power. Pokemon that resist both of these STABs still don't appreciate a hit. Calcs against most common of the Pokemon I am talking about:

+6 252 Atk Chesnaught Seed Bomb vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Latios: 273-321 (91.3 - 107.3%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

+6 252 Atk Chesnaught Seed Bomb vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 344-405 (132.8 - 156.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252 Atk Chesnaught Seed Bomb vs. 96 HP / 0- Def Tornadus-T: 306-360 (94.7 - 111.4%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

With Chesnaught I usually set up on the likes of defensive Lando, Rotom-W, or Sableye post mega evolution.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split
This Pokemon is a Flying check, specifically Talonflame as it can bypass the Salac boost with Gale Wings and OHKO with ease using Brave Bird or Acrobatics. Another option for this set to ensure your health stays up is RestoChesto but as I have another bird check, I found this unnecessary. Chesnaught and Rotom synergize very well to start a F/G/W core that is completed by the next Pokemon.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Protect
- Toxic
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
Heatran is here to check fairies that bother Chesnaught and shrug off Rotom's Will-o-Wisp and spread Toxic on Pokemon like offensive Rapid Spin Starmie, Latis, and Landorus-T who can remove and set rocks up, respectively. Rocks being up are vital for this team as they are reliable Sash breakers and can whittle down fore mentioned Flying types that Chesnaught doesn't appreciate.

Landorus-Therian @ Earth Plate
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 180 HP / 252 Atk / 76 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
As of now, my team struggled with Mold Breaker Excadrill and needed rocks so like many Smogon players, I slapped Landorus on. Intimidate pressure is pretty nice, I like this spread for offensive rocks Lando as it outspeeds Jolly max Speed Bisharp forcing a 50/50. Otherwise, it's a pretty standard set.
upload_2016-4-12_19-8-2.png

Latias @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Healing Wish
As of now this team desperately needed a Keldeo counter and hazard remover and here Latias is. I was conflicted over Healing Wish or Roost, but ultimately decided after laddering a bit Healing Wish to give Chesnaught a second chance at sweeping assuming I make a misplay was worth it. Rest of it is standard offensive Defog set.

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost
- Swords Dance
To wrap things up I needed a mega, Fairy killer, and Weavile check and Mega Scizor fit the tab perfectly. SD U-Turn is a pretty great set for late game and mid game offensive pressure. I had no need for Technician pre-mega evolving so I decided to make it easier to switch into Weavile Light Metal would do the job. Again, any help would be much appreciated! This team got to ~1550 on the ladder before the suspect test happened but I'm pretty stuck there now that voting is done.
[Edit]: Forgot threat list
Threat List:
Azumarill
Whether it's Choice Band, Assault Vest, or BDrum, Azu always seems to give me trouble.

Mega Alakazam
While it's not a threat to the entire team; it can Trace Chesnaught's Bulletproof giving immunity to Seed Bomb as well as outspeed and KO Chesnaught. I always seem to forget about this but just a heads up.

Heatran
Heatran can cause a big dent in this team as I can't safely switch Landorus in fearing a Lava Plume burn and Latias can't do much to it.

**all credit goes to respective artists**

Hey! This is a pretty solid looking team, I just have some minor adjustments to make!
  • Considering the nature of the team, and seeing as how you have no real way to break stall; I'd like to say you should run, Magma Storm Taunt Heatran with Solarbeam and Earth Power, could potentially be a one slot stall answer for you; Failing that Air Balloon HP:Ice Taunt+Magma Storm definitely works.
  • Overgrow Chesnaught is definitely an option if only because at +6 it can OHKO Latias.
  • Next considering how the team has trouble with stuff like offensive electrics and stuff like Mega Lopunny, Mega Metagross. I'd suggest running a more defensive Rocky Helmet Stealth Rock Landorus-Therian, with EVs tweaked to take an HP:Ice from Mega Manectric or Raikou from full health.
  • My last suggestion would be to consider running either Offensive 3 Attacks SD Mega Scizor to give you an alternate win condition should you opt to run Solarbeam Heatran, or running Mega Metagross with Bullet Punch, to give you a fast way to finish games running possibly Bullet Punch to ensure the build versus Mega Altaria/RP Mdiancie teams.
tl;dr suggestions:
Magma Storm Tran>Calm Heatran
Defensive Lando-T with EVs for Mega Manectric/Raikou HP:Ice>Current Lando-T set
Offensive SD Mega Scizor or Mega Metagross>Bulky SD Mega Scizor

You should use the 12 HP investment suggested in the Chesnaught analysis, there are very good reasons for it. Sacrificing that for an extra 8 Atk EVs is pointless, you'll literally never notice the difference.

I think Latios > Latias. If you're ever thinking of not using Healing Wish you should immediately switch offensive Latias for offensive Latios because Healing Wish is the only thing that prevents it being outclassed. I would use Roost Latios instead so you can continually check stuff like Keldeo because at the moment you can only switch in once. Healing Wish is very situational and you only really have one good target, Chesnaught.

I'm not sure about the Lando, as you say it's basically a quick fix to provide Stealth Rock. However Heatran can take Stealth Rock duty if you drop Earth Power (which you should because it only really hits other Heatran, who will outspeed this set and hit you first). However dropping Lando makes Heatran a big problem for this team. So I think a decent solution is Choice Scarf Tyranitar. It can beat Heatran with Superpower/Earthquake, and it also traps Talonflame and Latis with Pursuit which paves the way for Chesnaught (you can usually catch these with a double switch when you first send in Chesnaught, especially if they think you're going to Spiky Shield).

Changing Lando for Tyranitar does give your team a bigger Ground weakness, fortunately Chesnaught can easily take advantage of ground types. Tyranitar it also arguably a better answer to electric-types due to not being weak to HP Ice, it can even get them with Pursuit if they're faster and try to Volt Switch out.

Last edited:

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor
If you're struggling with Azumarill, the easy fix is to add 44 Speed EVs on Rotom-Wash so that you outspeed all Azumarill variants. The EVs ensure Rotom-W has maximum Leftovers recovery and puts the rest of the EVs in Defense.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 224 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

drizzle

formerly henguinie
is a Tiering Contributor
Thanks for these suggestions! I have been noticing stall a lot recently on the ladder which isn't really a problem as the teams have no way to deal with Chesnaught after their Skarmory is weakened which is why I don't run stallbreak Heatran. I'll try replacing Mega Scizor with MegaGross to see how the team works for a few games.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)