Beartic (Update) QC [2/3]

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/beartic

[Overview]
  • Ice is the worst defensive typing, but it's good offensively.
  • Other Ice-type such as Jynx, Piloswine, and Regice gives Beartic a lot of competition.
  • So slow, some walls outspeeds it when fully invested.
  • Weak or can do nothing to some of the biggest threat in NU: Sawk, Charizard, Carracosta, Gurdurr, Primeape, Samurott, Ludicolo, etc.
  • Good natural bulk, but the Stealth Rock weakness gives it no good.
[SET]
name: Bulk Up
move 1: Bulk Up
move 2: Substitute
move 3: Icicle Crash
move 4: Low Kick
item: Leftovers
ability: Swift Swim
nature: Adamant
evs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Bulk Up to increase its Attack and Defense, letting Beartic to hit harder while also taking them easier.
  • Substitute to protect itself from status conditions and Focus Punch.
  • Icicle Crash for a strong STAB.
  • Low Kick to hit hard most Ice-type resists, like Steel-types.
  • Good neutral coverage with these two moves.
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • Ev spread to outspeed uninvested base 65 Speed, such as Alomomola.
  • Pokemon able to take on Fighting-types: Musharna, Misdreavus, Garbodor.
  • Method to keep Stealth Rock away from the field such as Choice Band Sawk, Taunt Serperior and Misdreavus, Magic Coat, Rapid spin, and more.
  • Toxic Spikes support from Garbodor, Roselia, and Scolipede to wear down the walls able to take on Beartic.
  • Psychic-types such as Musharna can easily take a Fighting-type move and strike back with a Psychic. Musharna can also heal any status with Heal Bell and also has a slow Baton Pass to bring Beartic safely.
  • Regirock is a great partner, as it can tank hits from most Fire-type, setup Stealth Rock, and spread status in the form of Thunder Wave and Toxic to cripple the Pokemon who can outspeed Beartic.
  • Pokemon such as Sword Dance Samurott, Sword Dance Scolipede, and Calm Mind Serperior who like walls such as Alomomola, Tangela, and Golbat weakened.
[SET]
name: All-Out Attacker
move 1: Icicle Crash
move 2: Superpower
move 3: Stone Edge
move 4: Taunt / Aqua Jet
item: Life Orb
ability: Swift Swim
nature: Adamant
evs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def / 216 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Strong STAB in Icicle Crash.
  • Superpower for good neutral coverage with Icicle Crash.
  • Stone Edge to hit Fire-types and such.
  • Taunt to shut down walls, Aqua Jet is weak but the priority can be useful.
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • EV spread to outspeed uninvested base 75 Speed, such as Garbodor, and max Speed Golem. 32 HP is a Life Orb number.
  • Rock Slide can be used over Stone Edge for better accuracy.
  • Sword Dance.
  • Musharna can heal any status with Heal Bell, take Fighting-type moves, and bring Beartic in safely with a slow Baton Pass.
  • Exeggutor is a good partner, as it can take Fighting-type moves for Beartic and strike back with a powerful Psychic or kill most of the Water-type with Giga Drain who otherwise walls Beartic, while Beartic can kill Mandibuzz which walls Exeggutor.
  • Regirock is also great partner, as it can take everything from most Fire-type, setup Stealth Rock, and cripple the Pokemon that can outspeed Beartic with Thunder Wave or Toxic.
  • Thunder Wave support from Musharna, Regirock, and more.
[Other Options]

<p>Beartic has a surprisingly good movepool, including moves such as Roar, Yawn, Sword Dance, Hone Claws, and more.
  • Avalanche is stronger than Icicle Crash if you get hit by a faster opponent during the same turn, but Beartic can't comfortably take a hit and you'll lose a lot of power against slower Pokemon such as Exeggutor.
  • Focus Punch.
  • Roar.
  • Hone Claws.
  • Rain Dance.
  • Night Slash.
  • Brick Break could be used, but its too weak.
  • Yawn.
  • Special set, but Beartic is better with its physical moves.
[Checks and Counters]
  • Fire-type such as Charizard, Rapidash, Simisear.
  • Rock-type such as Regirock.
  • Steel-type such as Metang and Klang.
  • Fighting-type such as Sawk, Primeape, and Gurdurr.
  • No immunity and only resisting Ice-types makes it easy to wear down.
  • Really slow, easy to finish it off with anything faster.
  • Massive weakness to all forms of entry hazard, making Beartic easy to wear done.
  • A lot of Pokemon can take a hit and strike back.

Last edited:

FireMage

Disgraced
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Avalanche mention in OO - it's got poor defensive typing which can really hamper taking a it to get the full effect of it. But in tandem of low Base Speed it can (Most times) take full advantage.

Rock Slide as an alternative to Stone Edge (Power vs Accuracy) [Maybe just an AC mention???]

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Agreeing with FireMage on Avalanche to OO (though Beartic can outspeed quite a few threats that it would rather hit with Icicle Crash like Eggy), and Rock Slide to AC.

Also, Encore should be mentioned in AC of the sub set, since it could allow Beartic an easier time to throw around Focus Punches or set up Subs (encoring Alomomola into Wish or Protect or w/e is a quick example).

Make changes and I'll stamp (i know you're on irc)

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
idk if sub punch is that good of a set. it's not that strong without a boosting item and beartic's typing doesn't help it set up subs very often. if you wanna beat physical walls such as alomomola you can always use sub bu which can set up on most of them and break through stall teams pretty well surprisingly, since it can hit common phazers such as mandibuzz, munchlax, and bastiodon super effectively. you can probably keep the same spread as the focus punch set since it avoids having its sub broken by waterfall most of the time. the moves should be sub / bulk up / icicle crash / low kick

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
After the (little) discussion we had on IRC about this change, I've changed the SubPunch set to SubBU as it actually can beat physical walls and threaten stall. If I forgot something, feel free to mention it.

EDIT: Added Toxic Spikes support in SubBU AC.

@FLCL

Last edited:
Change the name of the Substitute + Bulk Up set to Bulk Up, and subsequently change the move order to Bulk Up / Substitute / Icicle Crash / Low Kick.

Set Comments order should correspond to the order of the set.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS] (Bulk Up)
You have a lot of partners here. Cut the mention of Eelektross.
For the method of keeping Stealth Rock off the field, make specific mentions of partners. CB Sawk and Taunt Serperior and Misdreavus can be mentioned here.
Specifically mention Roselia/Garbodor/Scolipede/whatever to set Toxic Spikes.

Gotta say, I really don't see much reason to use a Life Orb Beartic set. It's slow and easy to force out; easy to wear down with Stealth Rock, Spikes, and Life Orb recoil; and it's not as strong as other all-out attackers/wallbreakers. I'm leaning towards rejecting it for now, but I haven't talked to anyone else about it yet to get other feedback.

[Other Options]
The Other Options tag should not be capitalized.
Avalanche is also pretty bad because Beartic can't comfortably take a hit, something else to mention there.

[Checks and Counters]
Mention massive weakness to all forms of hazards. It's easy to beat Beartic through passive damage.

Make these changes, and I'll talk to QC about the All-Out Attacker set before stamping.

Looks good. Raseri wants All-Out Attacker to stay. I still don't like it, but QC-wise, it looks fine.

QC Approved 2/3

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
I'm leaving Beartic to @WhiteDMist , as I don't have as much time since school started and I'm starting to lack the motivation to update my threads, so I prefer to give Beartic to him than letting it rot at the bottom.

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Ok moving this to Locked/Outdated, good work getting it as far as you did.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)