PU Beartic

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
QC: Magnemite / Anty / Scorpdestroyer
GP: P Squared / Winry

Overview
########

Beartic has a terrible defensive typing, being a pure Ice-type, but it does have solid offensive capabilities. Beartic sets itself apart from other Ice-types in the tier such as Sneasel and Piloswine by being a capable physical rain sweeper that can handle Grass-types for its teammates. However, common Pokemon in PU such as Poliwrath and Carracosta limit Beartic's offensive capabilities. On top of that, being weak to Stealth Rock and hampered by Spikes and Toxic Spikes doesn't bode well for Beartic at all. That, combined with its low base 50 Speed, means Beartic has to rely on rain to effectively sweep.

Swift Swim Sweeper
########
name: Swift Swim Sweeper
move 1: Icicle Crash
move 2: Superpower
move 3: Aqua Jet
move 4: Swords Dance
ability: Swift Swim
item: Life Orb
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
nature: Adamant

Moves
========

Icicle Crash is Beartic's STAB move for hitting Grass-types such as Roselia and Tangela. Superpower hits Water-types such as Simipour and Carracosta, which resist Icicle Crash. It is also Beartic's best move against Poliwrath and Avalugg. Aqua Jet hits Fire-types such as Flareon and Ninetales while also bypassing Beartic's low Speed to pick off weakened foes. Swords Dance boosts Beartic's Attack to incredible levels, allowing Beartic to deal out even more damage.

Set Details
========

Maximum Attack EVs, an Adamant Nature, and Life Orb allow Beartic to hit as hard as possible. Maximum Speed EVs allow Beartic to outspeed as many Pokemon as possible while Speed tying with +2 Rock Polish Regice in rain. Swift Swim is the preferred ability to take advantage of the rain and make up for Beartic's pitiful Speed. Lum Berry can be used over Life Orb for a one-time chance to recover from status, making it easier for Beartic to set up Swords Dance.

Usage Tips
========

Even though Beartic has average bulk, it is best not to switch it into any attacks due to its bad defensive typing. Rain is a must for Beartic to sweep, so having a consistent weather setter is key. Beartic is also better sweeping once its checks and counters are removed or weak enough for Beartic to take out on its own. Use Swords Dance against Grass-types as they switch out of a predicted Icicle Crash or against defensive Pokemon that will switch in predicting an Icicle Crash, such as Avalugg or Pelipper.

Team Options
========

Rain support from Pokemon such as Volbeat and Electrode allows Beartic to sweep more effectively. Volbeat can also provide Thunder Wave support for Beartic. Other rain setters with access to Swift Swim, such as Golduck, Carracosta, Poliwrath, and Relicanth, are good partners for Beartic, as they can set up rain and handle Fire-types while Beartic handles Grass-types for them. Carracosta and Relicanth also get access to Stealth Rock, Sturdy, and Rain Dance, providing even more support. Grass-types such as Tangela, Torterra, and Simisage are good partners for Beartic, as they handle the Water-types that Beartic has trouble getting past. Psychic-types such as Beheeyem and Mr. Mime are good partners for Beartic, as they can handle Fighting-types for Beartic. Mr. Mime can also provide Healing Wish support to give Beartic a second chance at sweeping. Electric-types such as Raichu and Zebstrika make for good partners, as they aid in getting rid of Water-types with Thunder, which has perfect accuracy in rain. Entry hazard support from Pokemon such as Carracosta and Barbaracle helps Beartic sweep better. For example, after a Swords Dance and Stealth Rock damage, Beartic is able to OHKO Pelipper and Avalugg with Icicle Crash and Superpower, respectively.

Other Options
########

Toxic can catch Poliwrath on the switch, but Beartic doesn't have the moveslot to fit it in. Stone Edge is an option to hit Flying- and Bug-types such as Pelipper and Scyther, but all of those Pokemon are hit hard by Icicle Crash, especially after a Swords Dance. Beartic can use Rain Dance to support itself, but it doesn't have the moveslot for it. Beartic has access to support moves such as Taunt and Encore, but it doesn't have the space for them. A Choice Band set with Icicle Crash, Superpower, Stone Edge, and Aqua Jet is viable on Beartic outside of rain, as it has immediate power.

Checks & Counters
########

**Water-types**: Water-types such as Poliwrath and Carracosta resist Icicle Crash, take next to no damage from Aqua Jet, and can survive a Superpower then threaten Beartic with Circle Throw and Stone Edge, respectively.

**Fighting-types**: Fighting-types such as Throh can't directly switch into any of Beartic's attacks but can scare out Beartic with Storm Throw. Throh also has access to Rest to recover any lost health.

**Steel-types**: Steel-types such as Metang and Klang can survive a Superpower and threaten Beartic with Meteor Mash and Gear Grind, respectively. Klang can use Rest to recover lost HP from Superpower and use Sleep Talk to get a possible stat boost from Shift Gear or attack with Gear Grind while it's asleep.

**Residual Damage**: Stealth Rock takes 25% of Beartic's HP every time it switches in, and Spikes and Toxic Spikes cut into its longevity as well. This combined with Life Orb recoil means Beartic can easily be picked off by priority moves such as Kecleon's Fake Out, Mightyena's Sucker Punch, and Basculin's Aqua Jet. If these moves don't KO Beartic, they will surely put it in range to be KOed next turn.

**Faster Pokemon**: Without rain, Beartic is very slow, so any Pokemon that can outspeed Beartic can KO it. Some examples include Raichu, Flareon, and Scyther. Choice Scarf Pokemon such as Tauros and Mr. Mime can outspeed Beartic in rain and dish out heavy damage.

**Status**: Beartic is crippled by burn, worn down by Toxic, and slowed down by paralysis, so Pokemon with access to Will-O-Wisp, Scald, Toxic, or Thunder Wave can cut into Beartic's offensive capabilities. Examples include Pelipper and defensive Misdreavus.

Last edited:
just run max speed adamant, the extra bulk isn't really useful and without max speed you can't tie with regice which is important. also i think sd is better than stone edge, as aqua jet hits fire types almost is hard in the rain (outside of rain you are just outsped by all of them anyway. stone edge can probably go in moves.

also i'll check this later

TONE

is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
just run max speed adamant, the extra bulk isn't really useful and without max speed you can't tie with regice which is important. also i think sd is better than stone edge, as aqua jet hits fire types almost is hard in the rain (outside of rain you are just outsped by all of them anyway. stone edge can probably go in moves.

also i'll check this later
Alright wasn't done with the set, but thanks for the heads-up Magnemite. Pelipper came to mind initially when I thought of Stone Edge, but +2 LO Icicle Crash OHKO Pelipper after SR.

Last edited:
beartic doesn't really face competition with other ice types, as it has a unique role that is different from all of them.

mention in the overview that its only niche is on rain, and make the overview have a bit more about its role on rain as well.

make team options more focused on rain as well. mention swift swimmers, mainly golduck. also, meowstic isn't really a good weather setter, but mention relicanth and carracosta as weather setters as they get sr + rain dance.

remove avalanche, subpunch, and brick break from oo, there's not really any reason you'd ever use them.

c&c should be reordered a bit, water types are by far the best answers so they should be first. also be a bit more specific in c&c, as per trc's thread at the top of this forum.

rock types shouldn't have their own section in c&c, as the only ones that check it are also water types (golem is ohkoed by aqua jet and icicle crash after like any prior damage whatsoever).

nice job on this TONE114, implement this stuff and i'll stamp.

TONE

beartic doesn't really face competition with other ice types, as it has a unique role that is different from all of them.

mention in the overview that its only niche is on rain, and make the overview have a bit more about its role on rain as well.

make team options more focused on rain as well. mention swift swimmers, mainly golduck. also, meowstic isn't really a good weather setter, but mention relicanth and carracosta as weather setters as they get sr + rain dance.

remove avalanche, subpunch, and brick break from oo, there's not really any reason you'd ever use them.

c&c should be reordered a bit, water types are by far the best answers so they should be first. also be a bit more specific in c&c, as per trc's thread at the top of this forum.

rock types shouldn't have their own section in c&c, as the only ones that check it are also water types (golem is ohkoed by aqua jet and icicle crash after like any prior damage whatsoever).

nice job on this TONE114, implement this stuff and i'll stamp.
Changes have been taken into account. Couldn't think of anything else in regard to Beartic's role on rain teams other than the reason I specified in the overview.

Mention costa and relicanth as rain setters because they have sr, sturdy, and rain dance. Also mention poliwrath as a swift swimmer.

QC 1/3

TONE

Mention costa and relicanth as rain setters because they have sr, sturdy, and rain dance. Also mention poliwrath as a swift swimmer.

QC 1/3
Changes implemented. Thanks again Magnemite.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Swift Swim
########
Set Details
========
Lum berry deserves a mention here (not a slash), as it lets it set up more easily, and it is very strong already

Usage Tips
========
Say what beartic sets up on

Team Options
========
Also mention electric types to check waters, as grass's cant beat pelipper

Other Options
########
I dont see why it would toxic costa when it does a lot of damage w/ superpower
Mention a choice band set outside of rain, i have used it and it isnt too bad

Checks & Counters
########
**Fire-Types**: IMO remove this, as they all die to Aqua Jet in the rain after rocks

**Entry Hazards**: Add that it also gets worn down by life orb recoil

**Status**: Remove gourgeist

TONE114

TONE

Swift Swim
########
Set Details
========
Lum berry deserves a mention here (not a slash), as it lets it set up more easily, and it is very strong already

Usage Tips
========
Say what beartic sets up on

Team Options
========
Also mention electric types to check waters, as grass's cant beat pelipper

Other Options
########
I dont see why it would toxic costa when it does a lot of damage w/ superpower
Mention a choice band set outside of rain, i have used it and it isnt too bad

Checks & Counters
########
**Fire-Types**: IMO remove this, as they all die to Aqua Jet in the rain after rocks

**Entry Hazards**: Add that it also gets worn down by life orb recoil

**Status**: Remove gourgeist

TONE114
Changes have been implemented. Get the feeling I'm missing some other pokemon Beartic sets up on, but nothing else comes to mind.

TONE

Analysis has been written up and is ready for a final check.

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Moves:
Superpower hits Avalugg and other Water-types like Simipour and Carracosta too; Klang and Bastiodon aren't as relevant as them

Team Options:
- remove the part about Water or Rock-types because you've mentioned them under SwSw sweepers and Golem isn't the best option on rain
- remove hazard removal because they don't fit on rain HO; if you're keeping please limit it to just a small mention of Swanna but I'd prefer if you removed it totally tbh
- list examples of KOs entry hazards help get

Checks and counters:
Under faster pokemon make a mention of Scarfers that outrun it even in rain

TONE114

TONE

Moves:
Superpower hits Avalugg and other Water-types like Simipour and Carracosta too; Klang and Bastiodon aren't as relevant as them

Team Options:
- remove the part about Water or Rock-types because you've mentioned them under SwSw sweepers and Golem isn't the best option on rain
- remove hazard removal because they don't fit on rain HO; if you're keeping please limit it to just a small mention of Swanna but I'd prefer if you removed it totally tbh
- list examples of KOs entry hazards help get

Checks and counters:
Under faster pokemon make a mention of Scarfers that outrun it even in rain

TONE114
Changes implemented. Plus I already mentioned Tauros and Mr. Mime as scarfers that outspeed Beartic in rain.

scorpdestroyer

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
GP 1/2

Overview
########

Beartic has a terrible defensive typing, (comma) being a pure Ice-type, but it does have come with solid offensive capabilities. Beartic sets itself apart from other Ice-types in the tier such as Sneasel and Piloswine by as being a capable physical rain sweeper that which can handle Grass-types for its teammates. However, common Pokemon in PU such as Poliwrath and Carracosta limit Beartic's offensive capabilities. On top of that, being weak to Stealth Rock and hampered by Spikes and Toxic Spikes doesn't bode well for Beartic at all. That combined with its low base 50 Speed means it Beartic has to rely on rain to effectively sweep.

Swift Swim Sweeper
########

Moves
========

Icicle Crash is Beartic's STAB main attacking move. Superpower hits Water-types such as Simipour and Carracosta, which that resist Icicle Crash. It is also Beartic's best move against for damaging Poliwrath and Avalugg. Aqua Jet hits Fire-types such as Flareon and Ninetales while also bypassing Beartic's low Speed to pick off weakened foes. Swords Dance boosts Beartic's Attack to incredible levels, allowing Beartic to deal out even more damage.

Set Details
========
(space)
Maximum Attack EVs, and an Adamant Nature, and Life Orb allow Beartic to hit as hard as possible. Maximum Speed EVs in Speed allow Beartic to outspeed as many Pokemon as possible while Speed tying with +2 Rock Polish Regice in rain. Life Orb gives Beartic more hitting power with Swift Swim is being the preferred ability to take advantage of the rain and make by making up for Beartic's pitiful Speed. Lum Berry can be used over Life Orb for a one-time chance to recover from status, making it easier for Beartic to set up with Swords Dance.

Usage Tips
========

Even though Beartic has average bulk, Due to Beartic's bad defensive typing, it is best not to switch it into any attacks due to its bad defensive typing despite it's average bulk. Rain is a must for Beartic to sweep better, so having a consistent weather setter is key. Beartic is also better sweeping once its checks and counters are removed or weak enough for Beartic to take out on its own. Use Swords Dance against Grass-types switching out of a predicted Icicle Crash or against vs defensive Pokemon coming into a predicted Icicle Crash, (comma) such as Avalugg or Pelipper.

Team Options
========

Rain support from Pokemon such as Volbeat, (remove comma) and Electrode allows Beartic to sweep more effectively. Volbeat can also provide Thunder Wave support for Beartic. Other rain setters with access to Swift Swim, (comma) such as Golduck, Carracosta, Poliwrath, and Relicanth, are make good partners for Beartic, (comma) as they can also provide rain for Beartic and handle while handling Fire-types for it while Beartic handles Grass-types for them. Carracosta and Relicanth also get access to Stealth Rock, Sturdy, and Rain Dance, providing even more support. Grass-types such as Tangela, Torterra, and Simisage make are good partners for Beartic, (comma) as they handle Water-types that Beartic has trouble getting past. Psychic-types such as Beheeyem and Mr. Mime are make good partners for Beartic, (comma) as they handle Fighting-types for Beartic. Mr. Mime can also provide Healing Wish support to give Beartic a second chance at sweeping. Electric-types such as Raichu and Zebstrika make for good partners, for Beartic as they aid in getting rid of Water-types for Beartic. Both also have access to Thunder, which gets perfect accuracy in rain. Entry hazard support from Pokemon such as Carracosta and Barbaracle helps Beartic sweep better. Examples include being For example, after a Swords Dance and Stealth Rock damage, Beartic is able to OHKO Pelipper and Avalugg after a Swords Dance and after Stealth Rock damage with Icicle Crash and Superpower, (comma) respectively.

Other Options
########

Toxic can catch Poliwrath on the switch, but Beartic doesn't have the moveslot to fit it in. Stone Edge is an option to hit Flying-, (remove comma) and Bug-types such as Pelipper and Scyther, but all of those Pokemon are hit hard by Icicle Crash, especially after a Swords Dance. Beartic can use Rain Dance to support itself, but it Beartic is too frail to try that. Beartic has access to support moves such as Taunt and Encore, but it Beartic doesn't have the space for that them. A Choice Band set with Icicle Crash, Superpower, Stone Edge, and Aqua Jet is viable on Beartic outside of rain, (comma) as it has immediate power does hit hard already (I hope I didn't change the meaning?).

Checks & Counters
########

**Water-types**: Water-types such as Poliwrath and Carracosta resist Icicle Crash, take next to nothing from Aqua Jet, and can live survive a Superpower and threaten Beartic with Circle Throw and Stone Edge, (comma) respectively.

**Fighting-types**: Fighting-types such as Throh can't directly switch into any of Beartic's attacks, (remove comma) but can scare out Beartic with Storm Throw. Throh also has access to Rest to recover any lost health.

**Steel-types**: Steel-types such as Metang and Klang can live survive a Superpower and threaten Beartic with Meteor Mash and Gear Grind, (comma) respectively. Klang can use Rest to recover lost HP from Superpower and Sleep Talk to get a possible stat boost from Shift Gear or attack with Gear Grind while it's asleep.

**Residual Damage**: Stealth Rock takes 25% of Beartic's HP every time it switches in, and while Spikes and Toxic Spikes also cuts into its longevity as well. Combined this with Life Orb recoil, (as it was, it was saying 'Beartic combined with LO recoil') and Beartic can easily be picked off by priority moves such as Kecleon's Fake Out, Mightyena's Sucker Punch, and Basculin's Aqua Jet. If these moves don't KO Beartic, they will it'll surely put it in range to be KOed next turn.

**Faster Pokemon**: Without rain, Beartic is very slow, so any Pokemon that can outspeed Beartic can KO it. Some examples include Raichu, Flareon, and Scyther. Choice Scarfed Pokemon such as Tauros and Mr. Mime can outspeed Beartic in rain and dish out heavy damage.

**Status**: Beartic is crippled by burns, worn down by Toxic, and is slowed down by paralysis, so Pokemon with access to Will-O-Wisp, Scald, Toxic, or Thunder Wave can cut into Beartic's offensive capabilities. Examples include Pelipper and defensive Misdreavus.

Last edited:

TONE

GP 1/2

Overview
########

Beartic has a terrible defensive typing, (comma) being a pure Ice-type, but it does have come with solid offensive capabilities. Beartic sets itself apart from other Ice-types in the tier such as Sneasel and Piloswine by as being a capable physical rain sweeper that which can handle Grass-types for its teammates. However, common Pokemon in PU such as Poliwrath and Carracosta limit Beartic's offensive capabilities. On top of that, being weak to Stealth Rock and hampered by Spikes and Toxic Spikes doesn't bode well for Beartic at all. That combined with its low base 50 Speed means it Beartic has to rely on rain to effectively sweep.

Swift Swim Sweeper
########

Moves
========

Icicle Crash is Beartic's STAB main attacking move. Superpower hits Water-types such as Simipour and Carracosta, which that resist Icicle Crash. It is also Beartic's best move against for damaging Poliwrath and Avalugg. Aqua Jet hits Fire-types such as Flareon and Ninetales while also bypassing Beartic's low Speed to pick off weakened foes. Swords Dance boosts Beartic's Attack to incredible levels, allowing Beartic to deal out even more damage.

Set Details
========
(space)
Maximum Attack EVs, and an Adamant Nature, and Life Orb allow Beartic to hit as hard as possible. Maximum Speed EVs in Speed allow Beartic to outspeed as many Pokemon as possible while Speed tying with +2 Rock Polish Regice in rain. Life Orb gives Beartic more hitting power with Swift Swim is being the preferred ability to take advantage of the rain and make by making up for Beartic's pitiful Speed. Lum Berry can be used over Life Orb for a one-time chance to recover from status, making it easier for Beartic to set up with Swords Dance.

Usage Tips
========

Even though Beartic has average bulk, Due to Beartic's bad defensive typing, it is best not to switch it into any attacks due to its bad defensive typing despite it's average bulk. Rain is a must for Beartic to sweep better, so having a consistent weather setter is key. Beartic is also better sweeping once its checks and counters are removed or weak enough for Beartic to take out on its own. Use Swords Dance against Grass-types switching out of a predicted Icicle Crash or against vs defensive Pokemon coming into a predicted Icicle Crash, (comma) such as Avalugg or Pelipper.

Team Options
========

Rain support from Pokemon such as Volbeat, (remove comma) and Electrode allows Beartic to sweep more effectively. Volbeat can also provide Thunder Wave support for Beartic. Other rain setters with access to Swift Swim, (comma) such as Golduck, Carracosta, Poliwrath, and Relicanth, are make good partners for Beartic, (comma) as they can also provide rain for Beartic and handle while handling Fire-types for it while Beartic handles Grass-types for them. Carracosta and Relicanth also get access to Stealth Rock, Sturdy, and Rain Dance, providing even more support. Grass-types such as Tangela, Torterra, and Simisage make are good partners for Beartic, (comma) as they handle Water-types that Beartic has trouble getting past. Psychic-types such as Beheeyem and Mr. Mime are make good partners for Beartic, (comma) as they handle Fighting-types for Beartic. Mr. Mime can also provide Healing Wish support to give Beartic a second chance at sweeping. Electric-types such as Raichu and Zebstrika make for good partners, for Beartic as they aid in getting rid of Water-types for Beartic. Both also have access to Thunder, which gets perfect accuracy in rain. Entry hazard support from Pokemon such as Carracosta and Barbaracle helps Beartic sweep better. Examples include being For example, after a Swords Dance and Stealth Rock damage, Beartic is able to OHKO Pelipper and Avalugg after a Swords Dance and after Stealth Rock damage with Icicle Crash and Superpower, (comma) respectively.

Other Options
########

Toxic can catch Poliwrath on the switch, but Beartic doesn't have the moveslot to fit it in. Stone Edge is an option to hit Flying-, (remove comma) and Bug-types such as Pelipper and Scyther, but all of those Pokemon are hit hard by Icicle Crash, especially after a Swords Dance. Beartic can use Rain Dance to support itself, but it Beartic is too frail to try that. Beartic has access to support moves such as Taunt and Encore, but it Beartic doesn't have the space for that them. A Choice Band set with Icicle Crash, Superpower, Stone Edge, and Aqua Jet is viable on Beartic outside of rain, (comma) as it has immediate power does hit hard already (I hope I didn't change the meaning?).

Checks & Counters
########

**Water-types**: Water-types such as Poliwrath and Carracosta resist Icicle Crash, take next to nothing from Aqua Jet, and can live survive a Superpower and threaten Beartic with Circle Throw and Stone Edge, (comma) respectively.

**Fighting-types**: Fighting-types such as Throh can't directly switch into any of Beartic's attacks, (remove comma) but can scare out Beartic with Storm Throw. Throh also has access to Rest to recover any lost health.

**Steel-types**: Steel-types such as Metang and Klang can live survive a Superpower and threaten Beartic with Meteor Mash and Gear Grind, (comma) respectively. Klang can use Rest to recover lost HP from Superpower and Sleep Talk to get a possible stat boost from Shift Gear or attack with Gear Grind while it's asleep.

**Residual Damage**: Stealth Rock takes 25% of Beartic's HP every time it switches in, and while Spikes and Toxic Spikes also cuts into its longevity as well. Combined this with Life Orb recoil, (as it was, it was saying 'Beartic combined with LO recoil') and Beartic can easily be picked off by priority moves such as Kecleon's Fake Out, Mightyena's Sucker Punch, and Basculin's Aqua Jet. If these moves don't KO Beartic, they will it'll surely put it in range to be KOed next turn.

**Faster Pokemon**: Without rain, Beartic is very slow, so any Pokemon that can outspeed Beartic can KO it. Some examples include Raichu, Flareon, and Scyther. Choice Scarfed Pokemon such as Tauros and Mr. Mime can outspeed Beartic in rain and dish out heavy damage.

**Status**: Beartic is crippled by burns, worn down by Toxic, and is slowed down by paralysis, so Pokemon with access to Will-O-Wisp, Scald, Toxic, or Thunder Wave can cut into Beartic's offensive capabilities. Examples include Pelipper and defensive Misdreavus.
Changes made. Thanks P Squared.

Winry

Super Graduate-Level Napper
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Add or Corrections / Remove / Comments
Overview
########

Beartic has a terrible defensive typing, being a pure Ice-type, but it does have solid offensive capabilities. Beartic sets itself apart from other Ice-types in the tier such as Sneasel and Piloswine by being a capable physical rain sweeper that can handle Grass-types for its teammates. However, common Pokemon in PU such as Poliwrath and Carracosta limit Beartic's offensive capabilities. On top of that, being weak to Stealth Rock and hampered by Spikes and Toxic Spikes doesn't bode well for Beartic at all. That, (AC) combined with its low base 50 Speed, (AC) means Beartic has to rely on rain to effectively sweep.

Swift Swim Sweeper
########

Moves
========

Icicle Crash is Beartic's STAB move. (maybe say why it's useful or what Pokemon it hits? Just seems incredibly abrupt) Superpower hits Water-types such as Simipour and Carracosta, which resist Icicle Crash. It is also Beartic's best move against Poliwrath and Avalugg. Aqua Jet hits Fire-types such as Flareon and Ninetales while also bypassing Beartic's low Speed to pick off weakened foes. Swords Dance boosts Beartic's Attack to incredible levels, allowing Beartic to deal out even more damage.

Set Details
========

Maximum Attack EVs, an Adamant Nature, and Life Orb allow Beartic to hit as hard as possible. Maximum Speed EVs allow Beartic to outspeed as many Pokemon as possible while Speed tying with +2 Rock Polish Regice in rain. Swift Swim is the preferred ability to take advantage of the rain and make up for Beartic's pitiful Speed. Lum Berry can be used over Life Orb for a one-time chance to recover from status, making it easier for Beartic to set up Swords Dance.

Usage Tips
========

Even though Beartic has average bulk, it is best not to switch it into any attacks due to its bad defensive typing. Rain is a must for Beartic to sweep, so having a consistent weather setter is key. Beartic is also better sweeping once its checks and counters are removed or weak enough for Beartic to take out on its own. Use Swords Dance against Grass-types as they switch switching out of a predicted Icicle Crash or against defensive Pokemon that will switch in predicting an coming into a predicted Icicle Crash, such as Avalugg or Pelipper.

Team Options
========

Rain support from Pokemon such as Volbeat and Electrode allows Beartic to sweep more effectively. Volbeat can also provide Thunder Wave support for Beartic. Other rain setters with access to Swift Swim, such as Golduck, Carracosta, Poliwrath, and Relicanth, (AC) are good partners for Beartic, as they can set up provide rain for Beartic and handle Fire-types for it while Beartic handles Grass-types for them. Carracosta and Relicanth also get access to Stealth Rock, Sturdy, and Rain Dance, providing even more support. Grass-types such as Tangela, Torterra, and Simisage are good partners for Beartic, as they handle the Water-types that Beartic has trouble getting past. Psychic-types such as Beheeyem and Mr. Mime are good partners for Beartic, (AC) as they can handle Fighting-types for Beartic. Mr. Mime can also provide Healing Wish support to give Beartic a second chance at sweeping. Electric-types such as Raichu and Zebstrika make for good partners, as they aid in getting rid of Water-types with Thunder, (AC) which has for Beartic. (remove period) Both also have access to Thunder, (RC) which gets perfect accuracy in rain. Entry hazard support from Pokemon such as Carracosta and Barbaracle helps Beartic sweep better. For example, after a Swords Dance and Stealth Rock damage, Beartic is able to OHKO Pelipper and Avalugg with Icicle Crash and Superpower, respectively.

Other Options
########

Toxic can catch Poliwrath on the switch, but Beartic doesn't have the moveslot to fit it in. Stone Edge is an option to hit Flying- and Bug-types such as Pelipper and Scyther, but all of those Pokemon are hit hard by Icicle Crash, especially after a Swords Dance. Beartic can use Rain Dance to support itself, but it is too frail to set it up and sweep try that. Beartic has access to support moves such as Taunt and Encore, but it doesn't have the space for them. A Choice Band set with Icicle Crash, Superpower, Stone Edge, and Aqua Jet is viable on Beartic outside of rain, as it has immediate power.

Checks & Counters
########

**Water-types**: Water-types such as Poliwrath and Carracosta resist Icicle Crash, take next to no damage nothing from Aqua Jet, and can survive a Superpower and then threaten Beartic with Circle Throw and Stone Edge, respectively.

**Fighting-types**: Fighting-types such as Throh can't directly switch into any of Beartic's attacks but can scare out Beartic with Storm Throw. Throh also has access to Rest to recover any lost health.

**Steel-types**: Steel-types such as Metang and Klang can survive a Superpower and threaten Beartic with Meteor Mash and Gear Grind, respectively. Klang can use Rest to recover lost HP from Superpower and use Sleep Talk to get a possible stat boost from Shift Gear or attack with Gear Grind while it's asleep.

**Residual Damage**: Stealth Rock takes 25% of Beartic's HP every time it switches in, and Spikes and Toxic Spikes cut into its longevity as well. This combined Combine this with Life Orb recoil, (RC) and means Beartic can easily be picked off by priority moves such as Kecleon's Fake Out, Mightyena's Sucker Punch, and Basculin's Aqua Jet. If these moves don't KO Beartic, they will surely put it in range to be KOed next turn.

**Faster Pokemon**: Without rain, Beartic is very slow, so any Pokemon that can outspeed Beartic can KO it. Some examples include Raichu, Flareon, and Scyther. Choice Scarf Pokemon such as Tauros and Mr. Mime can outspeed Beartic in rain and dish out heavy damage.

**Status**: Beartic is crippled by burn, worn down by Toxic, and slowed down by paralysis, so Pokemon with access to Will-O-Wisp, Scald, Toxic, or Thunder Wave can cut into Beartic's offensive capabilities. Examples include Pelipper and defensive Misdreavus.
2/2

Last edited:
" Beartic can use Rain Dance to support itself, but it is too frail to try that. "

95/85/85 bulk is actually a lot so reword this IMO

Yeah and besides its bulk Beartic can use Rain Dance on a predicted fire-type switch-in so their STAB is weakened and they're suddenly threatened by a Rain-boosted Aqua Jet. Unfortunately it can't really spare a moveslot for that.

TONE

I'll just say that it can't spare the moveslot as its other moves benefit it more.

TONE

Add or Corrections / Remove / Comments
Overview
########

Beartic has a terrible defensive typing, being a pure Ice-type, but it does have solid offensive capabilities. Beartic sets itself apart from other Ice-types in the tier such as Sneasel and Piloswine by being a capable physical rain sweeper that can handle Grass-types for its teammates. However, common Pokemon in PU such as Poliwrath and Carracosta limit Beartic's offensive capabilities. On top of that, being weak to Stealth Rock and hampered by Spikes and Toxic Spikes doesn't bode well for Beartic at all. That, (AC) combined with its low base 50 Speed, (AC) means Beartic has to rely on rain to effectively sweep.

Swift Swim Sweeper
########

Moves
========

Icicle Crash is Beartic's STAB move. (maybe say why it's useful or what Pokemon it hits? Just seems incredibly abrupt) Superpower hits Water-types such as Simipour and Carracosta, which resist Icicle Crash. It is also Beartic's best move against Poliwrath and Avalugg. Aqua Jet hits Fire-types such as Flareon and Ninetales while also bypassing Beartic's low Speed to pick off weakened foes. Swords Dance boosts Beartic's Attack to incredible levels, allowing Beartic to deal out even more damage.

Set Details
========

Usage Tips
========

Even though Beartic has average bulk, it is best not to switch it into any attacks due to its bad defensive typing. Rain is a must for Beartic to sweep, so having a consistent weather setter is key. Beartic is also better sweeping once its checks and counters are removed or weak enough for Beartic to take out on its own. Use Swords Dance against Grass-types as they switch switching out of a predicted Icicle Crash or against defensive Pokemon that will switch in predicting an coming into a predicted Icicle Crash, such as Avalugg or Pelipper.

Team Options
========

Rain support from Pokemon such as Volbeat and Electrode allows Beartic to sweep more effectively. Volbeat can also provide Thunder Wave support for Beartic. Other rain setters with access to Swift Swim, such as Golduck, Carracosta, Poliwrath, and Relicanth, (AC) are good partners for Beartic, as they can set up provide rain for Beartic and handle Fire-types for it while Beartic handles Grass-types for them. Carracosta and Relicanth also get access to Stealth Rock, Sturdy, and Rain Dance, providing even more support. Grass-types such as Tangela, Torterra, and Simisage are good partners for Beartic, as they handle the Water-types that Beartic has trouble getting past. Psychic-types such as Beheeyem and Mr. Mime are good partners for Beartic, (AC) as they can handle Fighting-types for Beartic. Mr. Mime can also provide Healing Wish support to give Beartic a second chance at sweeping. Electric-types such as Raichu and Zebstrika make for good partners, as they aid in getting rid of Water-types with Thunder, (AC) which has for Beartic. (remove period) Both also have access to Thunder, (RC) which gets perfect accuracy in rain. Entry hazard support from Pokemon such as Carracosta and Barbaracle helps Beartic sweep better. For example, after a Swords Dance and Stealth Rock damage, Beartic is able to OHKO Pelipper and Avalugg with Icicle Crash and Superpower, respectively.

Other Options
########

Toxic can catch Poliwrath on the switch, but Beartic doesn't have the moveslot to fit it in. Stone Edge is an option to hit Flying- and Bug-types such as Pelipper and Scyther, but all of those Pokemon are hit hard by Icicle Crash, especially after a Swords Dance. Beartic can use Rain Dance to support itself, but it is too frail to set it up and sweep try that. Beartic has access to support moves such as Taunt and Encore, but it doesn't have the space for them. A Choice Band set with Icicle Crash, Superpower, Stone Edge, and Aqua Jet is viable on Beartic outside of rain, as it has immediate power.

Checks & Counters
########

**Water-types**: Water-types such as Poliwrath and Carracosta resist Icicle Crash, take next to no damage nothing from Aqua Jet, and can survive a Superpower and then threaten Beartic with Circle Throw and Stone Edge, respectively.

**Residual Damage**: Stealth Rock takes 25% of Beartic's HP every time it switches in, and Spikes and Toxic Spikes cut into its longevity as well. This combined Combine this with Life Orb recoil, (RC) and means Beartic can easily be picked off by priority moves such as Kecleon's Fake Out, Mightyena's Sucker Punch, and Basculin's Aqua Jet. If these moves don't KO Beartic, they will surely put it in range to be KOed next turn.

2/2
Changes have been made. Thanks again Winry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)