Beginner's Luck - A Clean Sweep

It's sweeping time!!

My goal for this team was to abuse status and entry hazards to set up for an easy late game sweep. This is the first OU team I've constructed, and so far, it seems to have gone well. But something seems missing. Some synergy between the team members perhaps. Let's take a look at the start.

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
Ability: Snow Cloak
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Att / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature (+Att, -SpA)
- Ice Shard
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

I ran through a lot of potential leads before settling on this one. Azelf gave him trouble, but that was about it. Most other leads I can either 2HKO with ease, or set up a stealth rock and leave relatively unharmed. The only real necessity is getting SR up before I switch out. The electric immunity has given it an easier time switching in later to still be able to do fairly decent damage as well.

Tyranitar @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Earthquake

This is one of the two core sweepers on the team. The whole team is focused around letting this guy get in, set up and rip through another team. I chose Rock Slide over stone edge for pure accuracy. The flinch rate doesn't hurt either. I do miss out on some crucial OHKOs, but I honestly prefer that to a miss ending my sweep. Scizor and Skarmory gave this one some issues though.
Nature changed to Jolly

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 188 Def / 68 SpD
Bold Nature (+Def, -Att)
- Air Slash
- Thunder Wave
- Aura Sphere
- Roost

I had Togekiss in here because I honestly just loved the idea of how it worked. I don't know if it really fits into the team well, but throwing paralysis around never hurt. He's also bulky enough that I can usually switch in on a variety of things and leave relatively unscathed after a roost. With the abundance of physical blockers I come up against, it seemed like a great idea to throw in something really bulky to have an easier time with those walls. Further helping the core sweepers set up.

Gyarados @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature (+Att, -SpA)
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang

This is my gem. He's easily won me the most victories in a landslide. if the rest of my team has done it's job, there's little to not reason he wont get the chance to throw down 2-3 dragon dances and sweep. I've been debating between ice fang and stone edge, but Ice fang has been invaluable for the dragon types that have a habit of taking him down before I score a OHKO with stone edge. Also, accuracy is a factor. Oftentimes I can bring him in a lot earlier than expected, do a single DD and still be able to sweep relatively effectively. I just prefer at least 2 to get the most out of the LO Boost.

Flygon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Jolly Nature (+Att, -SpA)
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderpunch
- Earthquake
- U-Turn

As per suggestion, the mighty revenge killer. I chose Draco Meteor over Outrage because I didnt have enough Red Shards. I'll likely change it to outrage when I go digging again =p

Rotom-W @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Att, -SpA)
- Thunderbolt
- Trick
- Hydro Pump
- Shadow Ball

Changed from Rotom to Rotom-W

I'm torn between Trick and Will-O-Wisp. While using Status moves choiced forces a switch on my part, its both unexpected and situationally advantageous. Example. My roommate runs a Machamp with Fling. Iron Ball. If Im not mistaken it works out to a 130 Power Dark Type move. Easy OHKO on Rotom. Where as I fail to OHKO with Thunderbolt. Not to mention, if I am faster, and do trick my Choice specs onto Machamp. Im stuck with an Iron Ball. Which is another thing I was deathly afraid of. I'll run trick and see how it goes.

note: I have RNGed a new Magnemite that I can use in place of flygon as a scarf Magnezone if it seems like it would be more beneficial. Keeping that in my back pocket. Steel trapping is just very tempting. I wanted to try finding a place for a CB Scizor or even a Swords Dance variant, but I couldnt find a valid reason to switch him with any of my other sweepers.

Let me know what you think of the changes. I haven't re-trained Gyarados yet as I'm unsure whether to re-EV him Bulky, or to re-breed for a Jolly. I'll see what gives me more trouble.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Threats:
- Dragon Dancers [Tyranitar, Gyarados [offensive/bulky], Dragonite [offensive]]
- CM Jirachi

Once Tyranitar gets the Dragon Dance, it'll tear your team up, Stone Edge takes down Gyarados at +0/-0, Togekiss and possibly Rotom [not all Tyranitars run Crunch], Earthquake takes down your own Tyranitar and Lucario. [Vacuum Wave isn't a guaranteed OHKO. 78.6% - 92.7%]

Gyarados however is the bigger threat, it's 3 coverage moves basically tear your team, Waterfall takes Tyranitar down, Lucario can't even touch Gyarados while it Earthquakes, and Stone Edge takes care of what Waterfall and Earthquake can't.

Same goes to Dragonite, but Dragonite can do something else: Outrage. Outrage has a very high chance of OHKOing Lucario at +1, and has like a 95%+ chance of OHKOing Lucario with SR support, it can Earthquake Tyranitar and Outrage your Gyarados, yes, even at +0. The only thing that can take an Outrage is your Togekiss, but it has a very little chance of not surviving after SR damage.

Jirachi, on the other hand, isn't that much of a threat, but SubCM Jirachi with Thunderbolt and Flash Cannon is, it can set-up on Togekiss and possibly Rotom while they do nothing and then continue sweeping your team with a mix of Thunderbolt and Flash Cannon. Earthquake from Gyarados isn't an OHKO at +0, so it's not a good switch-in to either Substitute or Calm Mind, because if it Subs, it'll hit you with a Thunderbolt, and if it Calm Minds, it'll also hit you with a Thunderbolt.

Solving these problems can be easy, all of the Pokemon i mentioned are revenge-killed by Choice Scarf Flygon, so i suggest using that over Lucario since i don't see it doing anything to this team.

Flygon @ Choice Scarf
Jolly
252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- U-Turn
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- ThunderPunch

Though Flygon's defenses are even, it's better to use 4 SpD to not let opposite Porygon-Z gain the SpA boost via download.

I also have some suggestions, using Jolly over Adamant is much better for Tyranitar because without Jolly, you can't outspeed Gengar nor Starmie at +1.

Using Jolly on Gyarados is also a good idea to outspeed Jolteon at +1 because Jolteon can really dig holes in this team, especially LO Jolteon, since a combination of Thunderbolt, Hidden Power Grass and Shadow Ball can take down your team.

And about Rotom, why use a regular Rotom while you have the awesome Rotom-W ? And i also suggest changing the set since it's just too gimmicky. You can try a defensive or Choice Specs Rotom-W.

Aerrow

hunter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Nice team.

Threats

• DD Dragonite, Gyarados
  • Offensive Heatran
  • Infernape
  • Offensive Scizor
This is a really cool team you've got here as it is able to check most of the common threats, though a couple of Pokemon can present plausible threats. Dragon dancers, specifically Dragonite and Gyarados can quite easily sweep through your team if the find he opportunity to set up. Offensive variant of Heatran and Infernape can also cause problems for this team as it doesn't look like your team has anything, bar Gyarados, that could take a possibly boosted Fire Blast (Gyarados is easily taken care of by Hidden power Electric, magnifying the threats these Pokemon present). Finally offensive Scizor can cause major problems whether it's a choice or set up variant courtesy of its priority STAB move, Bullet Punch hitting everything on your team really hard, bar Gyarados (which is 2HKOed by a +2 Bullet Punch).

Solutions

• Bulky DD Gyarados
  • Choice Scarf Magnazone
[box]

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 Atk/252 Spd/252 SpAtk
Naive nature (+Spd,-SpDef)
- Explosion
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power
- Thunderbolt[/box]
Fortunately, all of the aforementioned problems can be easily defeated with two small changes in the structure of your team. Firstly, I would recommend replacing your current Dragon dance Gyarados variant with the standard Bulky DD Gyarados one which will allow your to more easily deal with Heatran, Infernape and also Scizor as the Bulky set is quite more durable than the all out offensive one. Note that although this change will result in a slightly less powerful Dragon dancer, it will still maintain the massive power output Gyarados is known to have after a DD. Secondly, i suggest replacing Lucario which seems like the least effective Pokemon your team with a choice Magnazone. Magnazone can easily accomplish all the thing Lucario was expected to do like defeat Skarmory while also helping out with defeating Scizor and the aforementioned dragon dancers which are easily KOed by either Thunderbolt or Hidden Power Ice. Also, with Explosion, it is able to end with a bang when its about to faint in a battle, paving the road for one of your sweepers. I hope this helped, and good luck!

I dont actually battle with the shoddy battle system, I use the cartridge. Breeding for specific Hidden power isnt quite something Ive mastered but I'm sure if I put time into it I could figure it out.

Would this be an appropriate change?
Lucario -> Choice Scarf Flygon
Rotom -> Magnezone
Gyarados -> Bulky Dragon Dance Gyarados
Tyranitar -> Nature Jolly

Edit: Also, I originally had Rotom and not any forms because I battle on PBR semi frequently, and you cant really use forms on there.

That would explain your issue with item clause, and raise one with choice scarf. Consider using a different magnezone set, perhaps with a shucca berry or something. Without HP, consider using a set with substitute or magnet rise instead. However, you lose the ability to check many threats without HP.

my attempts at capturing something Hidden Power worthy via RNG went less than well. 3 hours and no results. Dont suppose one of you fine folks would mind catching me a magnemite worth using? =p I might have to search for an alternative. Is there anything else that can check the same threats I'd have magnezone dealing with? I think my only problems would be the dragons without HP Ice if I went with a different set.

Edit: What about a choice specs porygon-z? Seems to have a solid movepool to deal with the same things, but doesnt prevent switching. Is significantly faster than magnezone too.
Thunderbolt
Tri Attack
Ice Beam
Signal Beam

Could switch something out for Hyper beam to have a similar effect to magnezone exploding too.

I'm not so hot on Magnezone over Rotom in your team; you're relying upon Stealth Rocks to help you sweep, especially to help Tyranitar get those OHKOs with Rock Slide instead of Stone Edge. A spinblocker would definitely come in handy.

Bulky Dragon Dance Gyarados is a definite must. Looking at yours now, you run the risk of getting hit pretty hard while using Dragon Dance, potentially getting OHKO'd. A bulkier variety should give you a little more room for comfort there.

Replace Lucario with either Magnezone or Flygon; don't try to fit both simply because they were both suggested. Either would be a good addition to your team and handle different threats.

Magnezone gives you the benefit of handling those bulky Water-types that you report give you problems, so I personally would choose it.

Porygon-Z is a pretty solid attacking Pokémon, but it's got very little resistances and mediocre defenses. If you can outspeed and OHKO each of those threats with it, then go for it. If not, Porygon-Z might not last long. It's really up to your experiences there.

Assuming I switch out Lucario for Magnezone/Flygon.
Should I find another spin blocker? Since I use PBR and battle with DP friends, I cant always use the formes of Rotom. Feels like this puts me at a disadvantage. Was considering Gengar/Mismagius to keep in line with the offensive nature of the team.

So I decided to use Rotom-W over regular rotom. And a choice specs set

Rotom @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Att)
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Shadow Ball

But 2 questions.

Thunderbolt vs Discharge (Paralysis)
and Trick vs Will-O-Wisp

Trick could hurt more than it helps in some cases (Iron Ball, Choice Banded Rotom?)

Edit: Also, what better serves the purpose in this case?

Gyarados to Jolly or Bulky. Both are tempting, but I hate losing coverage from having taunt. Given what Zachary said, is it possible to use Bulky EVs and keep the 3 coverage moves with Dragon Dance?

Edit: Updated original post to reflect current changes.

Bump.

I had big issues with a very strange poke. He'd already KOed my Rotom, and he brought out a Charm Togekiss. I barely killed it off with Flygon after weakening/suiciding with my Mamoswine. Luckily his last pokemon was Umbreon and Flygon dispatched that with ease.

Maybe I should've been more careful with Rotom? I haven't seen this variant of Togekiss before. But it was devastating. Toxic on anyone would've helped marvelously I imagine.

Suggestions?

Also bump for previous questions. I've been noticing my team has big big weaknesses to status. Completely crippled me in some cases. Hard to set up with a Toxic for example =p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)