Beheeyem (QC 2/2) (GP 3/3)

Redew

κακκῶ σεαυτόν
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Beheeyem

[Overview]

<p>Many people don't even consider Beheeyem for their team, as other Pokemon, such as Chandelure, Jellicent, and Cresselia, can do its job better. However, Beheeyem has a niche in the metagame due to Ally Switch. Moreover, its low HP and Defense stats mean it won't be taking as many hits as some other Pokemon. Don't be put off by these disadvantages, though, as Beheeyem has low Speed and high Special Attack, making it an exceptional Trick Room setter and supporter.</p>

[SET]
name: Trick Room Setter
move 1: Trick Room
move 2: Psychic / Psyshock
move 3: Ally Switch
move 4: Protect / Shadow Ball
item: Mental Herb / Sitrus Berry
ability: Telepathy
nature: Quiet
evs: 252 HP / 52 SpA / 204 SpD
ivs: Spe 0

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set takes advantage of Beheeyem's low Speed with Trick Room. Because Beheeyem is a Psychic-type, Psychic or Psyshock is a strong, reliable, STAB attack. With STAB Psychic and 52 EVs in Special Attack, there is a slight chance you can OHKO most Hitmontop. Ally Switch is what makes this set unique, allowing Beheeyem to switch places with your second Pokemon. It can potentially help partners weak to Fighting-type attacks, as no spread Fighting-type move currently exists. Beheeyem should always run Ally Switch, as otherwise Cresselia and other bulky Psychic- and Ghost-types completely outclass it. For the last slot, you can choose Shadow Ball to hit Chandelure, Cresselia, and other Psychic-types or Protect to salvage an extra turn. Mental Herb makes sure Trick Room is up unless the opponent uses Imprison or has a Sitrus Berry to let it live a little longer. Because Beheeyem has low HP, a 252 EV investment HP is necessary to withstand at least some attacks. Some EVs in Special Attack are vital to boost its powerful STAB attacks and KO Fighting-types, while 204 Special Defense further increases Beheeyem's ability to take hits. Telepathy is by far the best ability to use with it.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>252 HP and 204 Special Defense EVs allow Beheeyem to take a Shadow Ball from Reuniclus or Chandelure, set up Trick Room, and strike back. 52 Special Attack EVs allow it to have as much power as possible while also retaining its bulk. Mental Herb is very helpful due to the fact many Pokemon carry Taunt; however, Sitrus Berry allows Beheeyem to survive longer. Telepathy is one of the best aspects of this Pokemon, allowing it to avoid taking damage from the very common Surf, Earthquake, and Explosion when used from its partners. Because of this, Beheeyem can avoid wasting a turn Protecting during an Earthquake from an allied Rhyperior or Metagross and attack instead. Normal types, such as Snorlax, are great partners, as they take minimal damage from a Shadow Ball or Crunch, respectively.</p>

<p>Scrafty pairs up great with Beheeyem; with Ally Switch, it can take Ghost- or Dark-type attacks and Beheeyem can take Fighting-Type attacks. Fake Out support makes it relatively easy to set up Trick Room. Also, with STAB Drain Punch and STAB Crunch, Scrafty can deal with Pokemon that are threats to Beheeyem, such as Chandelure. Hitmontop also has great synergy with Beheeyem; it has all of the same features of Scrafty except Dark-type STAB while also having access to Sucker Punch. Amoonguss and other Rage Powder or Follow Me users, such as Togekiss, can make it relatively easy to set up Trick Room.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>With a Modest nature, you can outspeed other set-up users and use Imprison while still being slow enough to function under Trick Room. Thunderbolt is a great move that can take down common Flying- and Water-types. Simple Beam is risky and gimmicky, but is another option. Disable is also good to stop Bug Buzzes from Volcarona and other super effective moves. Another option is Energy Ball, which is a great move against Gastrodon. Hidden Power Fighting will allow you to hit Tyranitar hard. If you use Analytic over Telepathy, you will get a power boost by 30% if Beheeyem moves last in battle.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Scrafty can tear apart Beheeyem, as it is slow and strong under Trick Room, has STAB Crunch, and is immune to Psychic-type moves. Volcarona can OHKO it with Bug Buzz after a Quiver Dance. Tyranitar is also another threat, as it has access to STAB Crunch. Chandelure and Scizor can also tear apart Beheeyem with Shadow Ball and Bug Bite, respectively. Metagross doesn't care about Beheeyem's attacks too much, as it is relatively slow, bulky, and can crush it with a repeated Meteor Mash.</p>

-Since the only things Beheeyem really has over Reuniclus are Telepathy and Ally Switch, I think Ally Switch should be mandatory on the set. If you're using Beheeyem just for Telepathy, than you might as well use Musharna, since it get helping hand, better defenses, even lower speed. And I don't think access to thunderbolt justifies using Beheeyem over Reuniclus or Musharna either.

-I would also mention Snorlax as a partner, since it benefits a ton from Ally Switch and has a STABed Selfdestruct. (And maybe just normal types in general, since they can take a Shadow Ball aimed at Beheeyem due to ghost immunity.)

-I guess you could mention Calm Mind, Substitute, Dual Screens and other random stuff in OO XD

-You could also mention Lum berry in AC, since it helps setting up Trick Room.

-Should probably mention ghosts like Gengar, Jellicent, and Chandelure in Counters, since they can all OHKO Beheeyem.

-While Telepathy is a great ability, if for some reason you aren't taking advantage of it, Synchronize will obviously be a better ability choice. Putting Amoongus to sleep or paralyzing a thundurus could come in handy.

There are probably other things I missed, but this looks great as far as I can tell, especially for a first :D
Oh, and I think you can say "it" instead of "he/she" ;)

Biosci

Danger!?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SCL Champion
Fix the spacing between the headings and the paragraphs. Also the set should look like this with the correct spacing and abbreviations:

[SET]
name: Trick Room Setter
move 3: Shadow Ball / Thunderbolt / Ally Switch
move 4: Protect
item: Mental Herb / Sitrus Berry
nature: Quiet
evs: 252 HP / 148 SpA / 108 SpD
ivs: Speed 0

Though you might want to go with a bulkier EV spread, because what Beheeyem unique is access to Telepathy and Ally Switch, which could probably be used with something weak to Fighting, so Beheeyem can tank those Fighting Gem Close Combats, etc.

Though you might want to go with a bulkier EV spread, because what Beheeyem unique is access to Telepathy and Ally Switch, which could probably be used with something weak to Fighting, so Beheeyem can tank those Fighting Gem Close Combats, etc.
Yeah, with the current EV spread Beheeyem can still take over 50% from Hitmontop's Gem-boosted Close Combat.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Never say that you wouldn't use this Pokemon, because if you're never going to use it, I don't really feel like you'll be giving it a proper analysis.

Ally Switch is probably Beheeyem's niche in the metagame, making it stand out from the other Psychic-type Trick Room setters. The best way to use it is pairing Beheeyem with a Justified user, like Gallade, Terrakion, etc., and attracting Dark-type attacks.

Thanks Dragonking700, Biosci, and Solace! About to fix all of this right now.

EDIT: Changes made, let me know if I forgot something!

JRank

Jonny
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The paragraph tags (<p> and </p>) go around the paragraph, for obvious reasons, not at the bottom of it. Also space after the heading tags ([Overview], [Set Comments], etc)

Like this:

[Overview]

<p>Many people don't even consider Beheeyem on a team since there are Pokemon like Chandelure, Jellicent, and Cresselia. However, Ally Switch is Beheeyem's niche in the metagame. If used correctly and paired with Justified users such as Gallade and Terrakion, this combo can be deadly. STAB moves make this mon' better. It's not the best Pokemon when looking at its low HP, Attack, and Defense stat. However, with its low Speed and high Special Attack, Beheeyem can be a exceptional Trick Room setter and supporter.</p>

You say "Ally Switch is Beheeyem's niche in the metagame," yet Ally Switch is still slashed after Shadow Ball and Thunderbolt? (Maybe you just forgot to change that? ;)
I would change the set to something more like this:

move 3: Ally Switch
move 4: Shadow Ball / Thunderbolt / Protect

But that's just me personally, I'd get one of the QC checkers' opinions before changing it :P

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
yeah, I'd do that.

EVs for any stat should be written like this: x HP / x Atk / x Def / x SpA / x SpD / x Spe, so fix that throughout the analysis

-The ability of choice isn't show on the set for some reason
-Unreleased section needs to be added with Analytic, and mention how it allows Beheeyem to perform well out of Trick Room, but still say that Telepathy is better
-Amoonguss or any Pokemon with Rage Powder or Follow Me form as great partners
-Things GP wise are just looking pretty sketchy at this point. Instead of he/she always say it, and I would fix the sentence flow a bit more

This is good for a first analysis, but it needs a bit of work.

Thanks to all once again! I made all changes and fixed the headings/paragraph tags. Let me know if I forgot something or anything to add!

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
a few more changes

-you mention Thunderbolt for common water and flying Pokemon, then give Zapdos (who takes neutral), and gyarados (who isn't very common) as examples. You may want to change your examples, or come up with a different move, or remove Thunderbolt from the set and add it to OO.

-Scrafty takes neutral from Bug type attacks, so you may want to change that example to Scrafty takes Dark-type or Ghost-type attacks as they are more common

-Rock Slide is hardly going to do any sort of damage to Zapdos or Thundurus without STAB nor attack investment. It isn't even a 3HKO on Thundurus when multitargetted. >_>

-mention Disable and Energy Ball in OO, possibly something like HP Fighting as well

I would still add normal type partners to AC, especially Snorlax. Stabed gemed selfdestruct does a ton, and ally switch means beheeyem wont be effected by ir.

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
I think Metagross can probably be mentioned in counters, since it really doesn't care about Beheeyem's attacks too much, and it's relatively slow and bulky, and can crush it with Meteor Mashes.

After that, QC 1/2

breh

強いだね
A note on Telepathy vs. Analytic:

Telepathy is not always "far superior". If you're not running some weird rain team based around Surf, chances are you don't have many users of ally-hit moves. You might as well use Analytic; it has the potential to be useful if literally nothing on your team abuses Telepathy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)