Move Belch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only in the Pokemon world is a burp more devastating than a flamethrower.

Like Natural Gift this move will end up useless as having a "real" item will generally be better. Depending on the distribution I suppose something like Lum Berry Dragonite could use this to clear out Fairys while also helping with Outrage spam. I doubt Dnite will get it and even if it did +1 LO Earthquake probably does more than enough. Sounds like a bad poison move for the bad poison types.

Confirmed: Sadly, Ralts doesn't learn Belch as an Egg Move, so that idea is already out of the picture; still, though, we got the rest of the Amorphous Egg Group to cover, and the entirety of the Field, Dragon, Human-Like, and Mineral Egg Groups to go.

Anyone taking a lucky guess who will get this move as an Egg move?

Gunk Shot is physical. This is special. There is no reason to compare them.
Ah so it is.
...but then all of its users so far seem to be physical, excepting Seviper and Swalot who have even attacking stats. Which seems... unhlepful.
Unless it gets some better distribution I can't really see a reason to use it except maybe on those two. And even then, is it really worth it? You lose the benefit of a better item, its situational, and I'm betting if you switch out the whole thing is wasted forever.

Ah so it is.
...but then all of its users so far seem to be physical, excepting Seviper and Swalot who have even attacking stats. Which seems... unhlepful.
Unless it gets some better distribution I can't really see a reason to use it except maybe on those two. And even then, is it really worth it? You lose the benefit of a better item, its situational, and I'm betting if you switch out the whole thing is wasted forever.
Imagine if Dragalge had this as an Egg move from Seviper + Adaptability STAB bonus.

Everything in it's path would not survive.

Imagine if Dragalge had this as an Egg move from Seviper + Adaptability STAB bonus.
Everything in it's path would not survive.
I'd rather use Sludge Bomb/Wave and a Life Orb. It's almost as powerful AND boosts your other moves AND its more accurate AND you can use it right away instead of having to eat a berry first AND it has 30% Poison Chance AND it isn't a completely wasted moveslot before meeting random criteria AND it isn't wasted when you have to switch. And you will have to switch, because obviously they're going to switch in a Steel Type at some point.
10% recoil is nothing compared to the hoops you have to jump through for belch to work.

AND in Dragalge's particular case, he is confirmed to not get it as an egg move anyway.

I'd rather use Sludge Bomb/Wave and a Life Orb. It's almost as powerful AND boosts your other moves AND its more accurate AND you can use it right away instead of having to eat a berry first AND it has 30% Poison Chance AND it isn't a completely wasted moveslot before meeting random criteria AND it isn't wasted when you have to switch. And you will have to switch, because obviously they're going to switch in a Steel Type at some point.
10% recoil is nothing compared to the hoops you have to jump through for belch to work.

AND in Dragalge's particular case, he is confirmed to not get it as an egg move anyway.
Well at least it's usable, unlike Natural Gift.

:V

Edit: I mean, yeah, Natural Gift and Belch are both a One Trick Pony, but still, it's incredibly strong, and gains STAB, and it isn't as predictable. Also, imagine this in LC w/ Oran Berry Trubbish.

But Trubbish already learns Gunk Shot, which works off his better Attacking stat.
Trubbish's base SpA is 40, and his base Atk is 50.

It wouldn't make a slight lick of a difference, since Trubbish uses Clear Smog, and since this is LC were talking about, his offenses would be considered somewhat balanced.

Trubbish W/ 252+ Atk EVs + Adamant Nature = 15
Trubbish W/ 252 + SpA EVs + Modest Nature = 14

This sounds like a pretty bad move. It would have been better if it consumed the berry upon use. As it is, you'd need to build a set around the move and it isn't worth it.
I could only imagine Belch on a Poison-type pinch berry cleaner (akin to Agility SubPetaya Empoleon) that has a good complementary STAB like Fighting, Ground or Fire.
I can't think of a Poison type that could run such a set effectively as Toxicroak can do better than mess with Focus Blast and Belch off its lower offensive stat (even with Nasty Plot).
I guess Seviper could try it considering that it has good SpA and nothing better to do.
Modest Infiltrator Seviper@Petaya: Glare | Substitute | Belch | Flamethrower/Dark Pulse
Be status platform early on then try to sweep later. Good luck!

Dragalge's Venoshock will be more powerful against Poisoned opponents than Belch would be and that condition is easier to meet.
Apparently it doesn't learn Belch anyway.

Last edited:
This sounds like a pretty bad move. It would have been better if it consumed the berry upon use. As it is, you'd need to build a set around the move and it isn't worth it.
I could only imagine Belch on a Poison-type pinch berry cleaner (akin to Agility SubPetaya Empoleon) that has a good complementary STAB like Fighting, Ground or Fire.
I can't think of a Poison type that could run such a set effectively as Toxicroak can do better than mess with Focus Blast and Belch off its lower offensive stat (even with Nasty Plot).
I guess Seviper could try it considering that it has good SpA and nothing better to do.
Modest Infiltrator Seviper@Petaya: Glare | Substitute | Belch | Flamethrower/Dark Pulse
Be status platform early on then try to sweep later. Good luck!

Dragalge's Venoshock will be more powerful against Poisoned opponents than Belch would be and that condition is easier to meet.
Apparently it doesn't learn Belch anyway.
Taken from Smogon Verse V-24; Venoshock:

"Venoshock is an extremely situational move; it only has a reasonable Base Power as long as the opponent is poisoned. The problem is you need to make a team around it, meaning it's typically not the best of ideas. In order to make it work, Toxic Spikes needs to be on the opposing side of the field in order to reliably poison a majority of the opposing team's Pokemon. Too much work, too little results"

So yeah, if I were to choose the most situational Poision-Type Move for competitive battles, it would be Belch; unless it's much easier to poison Pokemon this Gen, and if it has a higher base power, I won't be taking any chances on Venoshock; for now, at least, in LC and maybe RU.

Last edited:
They're both situational but at least you can actually use Venoshock on a target that isn't poisoned.
Blech will be dead weight most of the time.

They're both situational but at least you can actually use Venoshock on a target that isn't poisoned.
Oh, rea-wait...WAIT, WHAT.

wat

Huh...."Blech" is a real move now, huh; what does it do, exactly, again?

(Seriously, though, I would gladly take Venoshock anyday from Belch, if only Belch wasn't such an appeasing move at the same time; I mean, putting this thing on LC Pokemon that rely on Oran Berrys, or have a high Sp. Attack and don't learn Venoshock at all through the TM, if Venoshock is still a TM Move at all, would have some immense coverage on Fairy and Grass Types).

Yeah I made a typo but it's strangely appropriate!
I know very, very little about LC so I'll take your word on Belch's potential there.

Ok, so I compiled a list of possible candidate Pokemon that may learn Belch as an Egg Move:

* = Possible notable Users

Amorphous Egg Group:

Gastly
Koffing Smogon

Misdreavus
Slugma
Ralts: Not compatible.
Shuppet
Duskull
Drifloon
Rotom
Solosis

Tynamo
Litwick
Pumpkaboo

Mineral Egg Group:

There aren't any honorable mentions because almost half the Egg Group is genderless, so I'm just going to (lazily) leave this blank. :V

Human Like:

Abra
Jynx
(A possible replacement for Belching Gardevoir).
Magby
Elekid
Gothita
Beheeyem
Field Egg Group:
Rattata
Vulpix
Eevee
Houndour
Mareep

And finally, the Dragon Egg Group:

I honestly think that half of this Egg Group learns belch; I mean, Dragons belch all the time, right?

As much as I left out a lot of other Mons, these are just lucky guesses, not actual assumptions.

EDIT: If this move can possibly be chain bred any further, the members of the Grass, Fairy, Monster, and even Flying Egg Groups could also get this move; Belching Roserades, anyone?

Last edited:
BREAKING NEWS:

Belch can be used after you switch out; thats right, you can use Belch after you consumed a berry, and switched out with a different Pokemon, and come back.

Also, Belch Gulpin W/ Wish Swirlix are very great partners in Gen VI LC justwantedtotelleveryone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)