1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Belgian Days (peaked at 1477 points)

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by ZoroDark, May 1, 2012.

1. ZoroDark

ZoroDark

Belgian Days (Rain Stall team, peaked at 1477 points)​

Hello all! This is ZoroDark presenting my first RMT and one of the most succesful teams I’ve made up till now, since I only started playing on PO last Christmas. The inspiration of this team came from all the Ubers rain stall with a Chansey / Giratina / Tentacruel core I couldn’t beat and I thought: “Why shouldn’t I try it in OU?” My style usually is Bulky Offense, but for now I wanted to try full stall. The result is: Belgian Days, since weather in Belgium usually is rainy, peaking at a 1477 rating on PO. Hope you enjoy my RMT!

[​IMG]
    Toadette (Politoed) (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Drizzle
    EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SDef
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Scald
    - Toxic
    - Perish Song
    - Encore

Let’s start with our inducer and of the most important pokes on the team, since my team is heavily rain dependant. His moveset is kinda standard but I use Encore + Perish Song to stop CM Reuniclus who would otherwise totally destroy this team. Scald is there as STAB move of choice and to burn stuff like Tentacruel and Rotom-W. His set is more focused on the defensive side to check Tyranitar and his annoying sand better and also because most CM Reuniclus run Psyshock > Psychic.

[​IMG]
    Mistress (Tentacruel) (M) @ Black Sludge
    Trait: Rain Dish
    EVs: 252 HP / 208 Def / 4 SDef / 44 Spd
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Toxic Spikes
    - Rapid Spin
    - Scald
    - Protect
    IMO, the best spinner out there, especially in rain. As you all know, recovering 12.5% every turn in the turn + Protect makes him very difficult to take down. His main job is to spin away opposing hazards, set up my precious Toxic Spikes and soak up the Toxic Spikes on my side of the field. He is also my first answer to dangerous Fighting-types like Conkeldurr, Scraggy and Lucario. The speed EV’s give him 247 speed, this usually comes in handy to speed creep all the other pokes aiming to hit 244.

[​IMG]
    Obese (Chansey) (F) @ Eviolite
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 HP / 228 Def / 28 SDef
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Heal Bell
    - Softboiled
    - Stealth Rock
    - Seismic Toss
    Next we have this pink, fat blob. He is the special wall of this team, walling most special attackers, others are handled by my other team members. His main job here is to stop special attackers like Latios, Tornadus … and to set up Stealth Rocks. He is also the cleric of my team with Heal Bell, which is very handy to cure a burn or to remove Toxic. Last move is Seismic Toss, so he is able to damage incoming Pokes consistently and not being total set-up bait. Because he already has huge Sp Def, so this set focuses more on his defense, to tank random Physical hits better.

[​IMG]
    Fidel Gastro (Gastrodon) (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Storm Drain
    EVs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 SDef
    Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
    - Scald
    - Earthquake
    - Hidden Power [Electric]
    - Recover

Being a full stop to CM Jirachi, Rotom-W and Gyarados, makes his collegues breath easier. He is also my main counter to sand teams who struggle to kill him, the moves are designed to stop Jirachi and Gyarados and so are his EV’s. He replaced Jellicent who never seemed to do much except for spinblocking, and I’ve never regretted it so far.

[​IMG]
    Metal Fenix (Skarmory) (M) @ Shed Shell
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Brave Bird
    - Whirlwind
    - Spikes
    - Roost

This bird here is an absolute monster in rain. Having only one weakness makes him a great partner for Gastrodon. This is just your standard Skarmory walling the hell out DDnite and his Dragon-type friends Haxorus and Salamence, except my Metal Fenix does have a Shed Shell to excape from Magnezone (and Magneton) so DragMag teams are in a puzzle what to do with him. Together with Chansey he makes the famous SkarmBliss core which is up till now very difficult to break. He provides my team with Spikes which are very important to any rainstall team since the opponent will be switching around.

[​IMG]
    Redfoo (Dragonite) (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Multiscale
    EVs: 252 HP / 108 SAtk / 148 SDef
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Hurricane
    - Thunder
    - Dragon Tail
    - Roost

The glue of my team. He does a lot more than shuffling (hence his name, you got it?), he laughs at so-called rain stall breakers as BU and other Breloom, Virizion, Celebi and go on. The set has been created by M Dragon and is very effective. Hurricane and Thuner are very handy moves to stop the annoying grass types I mentioned, while Dragon Tail destroys Baton Pass and racks up hazards damage, while also being a strong attack in general. With Roost + Multiscale + Rapid Spin, this thing is another hard to crack-nut, while Thunder ensures Jelli and other Waters won’t be staying in without being punished.

Threatlist:
    Choice Band Terrakion is really one of the biggest threats to my team, it 2HKO’es every single member on my team. Swords Dance Terrakion is an even bigger threat, thank God it’s rare.
    Nasty Plot Celebi can be a threat depending on its moveset Dragonite can kill it, but Psychic does a hefty chunk.

Importable:
    Show Hide
    Toadette (Politoed) (F) @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SDef
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Scald
    - Toxic
    - Perish Song
    - Encore

Mistress (Tentacruel) (M) @ Black Sludge
    EVs: 252 HP / 208 Def / 4 SDef / 44 Spd
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Toxic Spikes
    - Rapid Spin
    - Scald
    - Protect

Obese (Chansey) (F) @ Eviolite
    EVs: 252 HP / 228 Def / 28 SDef
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Heal Bell
    - Softboiled
    - Stealth Rock
    - Seismic Toss

Fidel Gastro (Gastrodon) (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Storm Drain
    EVs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 SDef
    - Scald
    - Earthquake
    - Hidden Power [Electric]
    - Recover

Metal Fenix (Skarmory) (M) @ Shed Shell
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
    - Brave Bird
    - Whirlwind
    - Spikes
    - Roost

Redfoo (Dragonite) (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Multiscale
    EVs: 252 HP / 108 SAtk / 148 SDef
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Hurricane
    - Thunder
    - Dragon Tail
    - Roost
  2. TGMD

TGMD +Biosci: you both gave me crabs
    is a Tutoris a Battle Server Moderatoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    Won OST Predictions

Hey man great team, as you said the biggest threats are cb terrak and sd terrak, but overall banded is rather easy to handle example: switch skarm in on cc does half health, then switch into dnite when he's locked into cc, rise and repeat racking up SR, spikes and poison dmg. This strat obv isn't flawless but if you do this right their terrak will prob only net 1 kill. SD terrak just destroys this team though. Overall this team seems extremely solid and i really dont have any suggestions. GL with the team
  3. bubbly

bubbly

To be honest having both Blissey and Gastrodon on a Rain stall is really excessive. I don't like going down the boring old pathway but this is Rainstall which doesn't exactly have a lot of room for variation - so Gliscor > Gastrodon, and Ferrothorn > Skarmory will patch up pretty much every weakness.

The other thing I don't like is how half the pokes on your team are just massive setup fodder for Dragons. Politoed can force them out with Encore / Perish Song but takes massive damage from a CB Outrage. Blissey can't do anything. Tenta can't do anything. Blissey should never have more than one of Seismic Toss / Heal Bell / Wish imo because it means it just can't beat stuff. In the teams current state for instance LO Latios with Recover OHKO's and 2HKO's everything bar Blissey (assuming it doesn't have Psyshock) and Blissey can't scratch it at all. Give Bliss Toxic > Stealth Rock and shift SR to your freshly minted Ferrothorn.

Sorry this wasn't a particularly creative rate, but it will fix up the problems you identified. Good luck!
  4. Dark Nikuman

Dark Nikuman

You don't really lose against terrakion, he can setup only on chansey, because of this you can put toxic over heal bell.

For Celebi isn't a big treath because if have hp ice you can use skarmory to stop him and if have hpfire nite is the way.
  5. HolyAvatar

HolyAvatar

A problem I can see is the time you spend setting up entry hazards without a spin blocker.

What's the point of having SR+spikes+toxic spike if the enemy team can just spin them away?
  6. dice

dice infinite bliss flows but does not ebb
    is a Contributor Alumnusis Smogon Frontier's Arcade Star

You can set them up again....
  7. DestinyUnknown

DestinyUnknown in other words...
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

This team is straight up 6-0ed by SD Terrakion if it switches on Chansey, especially if SR is on the field because Skarmory's Sturdy gets broken. I don't think I have to explain why, it simply sets up Swords Dance and OHKOs everything lol. To fix that, the best you can do is using Gliscor instead of Skarmory, which gives you a check for all those annoying fighting types. However, with that change you need a check for rotom-w and water types like gyarados, as well as spikes support, roles that Ferrothorn can do nicely, using it over Gastrodon. Rain Stall is not a playstyle where you can deviate much from the norm though, here are the sets:

Ferrothorn@Leftovers | Iron Barbs
    Nature Relaxed | 252 Hp / 88 Def / 168 SpD
    Spikes / Leech Seed / Gyro Ball / Power Whip

Gliscor@Toxic Orb | Poison Heal
    Nature Impish | 252 Hp / 184 Def / 72 Spe
    Earthquake / Ice Fang / Protect / Swords Dance

Good Luck!
  8. ZoroDark

ZoroDark

Thank you very much already, I'll definitely try all those sets out, but when I'll change Skarmory for Gliscor and Gastrodon for Ferrothorn, doesn't SubCM Jirachi run over my team like there's no tomorrow? How would I fix that then? Possibly Bulldoze on Ferrothorn...
  9. bubbly

bubbly

SubCM Jirachi is always a pain to deal with for Rain. The only reasonable way I can see to handle it is to go run Gastrodon in place of Blissey again, then use a SubCM Jirachi of your own in place of Dragonite to still cover Reuniclus, Latios etc. So your team would be:

-Politoed
    -Tentacruel
    -Ferrothorn
    -Gastrodon
    -Gliscor
    -Jirachi

EDIT: Oh yeah and lol Destiny Unknown for literally saying exactly the same things as me =P
  10. ZoroDark

ZoroDark

I tested your changes and I had mixed results. While Jirachi certainly is a great check for the Latis, Reuniclus... and he helps making games getting finished faster, Ferrothorn doesn't seem to be able to set up both Stealth Rocks and Spikes. I won every game though, except one against a sand team with Swords Dance Terrakion. He 6-0'ed me, because his +2 Rock Gem Boosted Stone Edge killed Gliscor on full health (252Atk Rock Gem +2 Terrakion (Neutral) Stone Edge vs 252HP/184Def Gliscor (+Def): 88% - 105% (315 - 372 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO. 31% chance to OHKO.) So currently I'm testing Choice Specs Tornadus over Jirachi and that works as well.
  11. Warahyuu

Warahyuu

I think the changes bubbly suggested is pretty good. Personally I would keep Chansey over Gastrodon and use Bulky SD Scizor over Jirachi. It covers Reuniclus, Latios/Latias, Celebi, and can revenge kill Terrakion/Virizion. It can even beat SubCM Jirachi.

Breloom can be an issue so I would use the Fling/Acrobatics Gliscor also used on Delko's Sandstorm team.

Lastly, I've never really liked Toxic Spikes. Too many things are immune to it and it's easy for the opponent to switch into 1 layer and take minimal damage. I think you should try the SubToxic Tentacruel set instead. It's an excellent stall breaker.

So your team would basically be:
    Show Hide
    Politoed (F) @ Leftovers
    EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 40 Spd
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Scald
    - Toxic
    - Encore
    - Perish Song

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
    Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
    - Spikes
    - Leech Seed
    - Power Whip
    - Gyro Ball

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Softboiled
    - Seismic Toss
    - Toxic
    - Stealth Rock

Tentacruel (F) @ Black Sludge
    EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Substitute
    - Scald
    - Toxic
    - Rapid Spin

Gliscor (F) @ Toxic Orb
    Trait: Poison Heal
    EVs: 244 HP / 48 Def / 216 Spd
    - Fling
    - Protect
    - Acrobatics
    - Earthquake

Scizor (F) @ Iron Plate
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 248 HP / 96 Atk / 164 SDef
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Swords Dance
    - Bullet Punch
    - U-turn
    - Roost
  12. Finchinator

Finchinator

Hmm, ironic how this has the exact same members and moves as ripamon's rain stall team(made month's ago) and he happened to say that he was watched a lot by people when playing with HIS team....
  13. Mazz

Mazz UU's Workhorse
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor Alumnus

Bulk Up Conkeldurr carrying Stone Edge can be a pain to your team as, if given the chance to set up, it will plough through your entire team. Dragonite's Hurricane can solve this, but With status, and enough boosts, and Stealth Rock on your side of the field, Mach Punch poses a huge threat. A +6 Mach Punch backed by Poison or Burn status will be dealing about 54.92%HP - 64.51%HP. It's a close 2HKO. God forbid you let it set up to that point, but if so, be wary on switching it in. Switching in on a Stone Edge won't be very fun either. Because Conkeldurr are fairly uncommon, you don't have to make any immediate changes. Just be wary that once set up, it can and probably will really hurt the team.
  14. BTzz

BTzz spams overhand rights
    is a Contributor Alumnus

Hey, nice team. Calm Mind Virizion is a huge threat, as it can set up on everything, and from there it can 2HKO your whole team. Latios also seems problematic as it can muscle past Chansey with Psyshock. Using a Specially Defensive Jirachi over your Gastrodon (which seems redundant with Chansey around) would patch up these issues. Jirachi can take any hit from CM Virizion and paralyzed it, meaning Dragonite and Skarmory can outspeed, and ko it with thier Flying STAB. Jirachi also passes big Wishes which is amaizing for keeping Politoed around to combat opposing weather teams. Now that you have Jirachi with Stealth Rock, I recommmend using Thunder Wave on Chansey (over Stealth Rock of course). Having Thunder Wave means Chansey won't be a sitting duck versus setup sweepers such as Virizion and Latios. As Chansey + Jirachi can handle any special attacker in the tier, you could use a spread of Bold; 248 HP / 232 Def / 28 Spe. With Jirachi, you won't need to rely on Politoed to Perish Song CM Reuniclus. The new spread also gives you another Gyarados check, which is useful seeing as Skarmory is 2HKOed by a LO, +1, rain-boosted Waterfall and Tentacruel can't do anything to it. The Speed EVs allow Politoed to outspeed Tyranitar, Scizor and Skarmory.

Jirachi | Serene Grace | Leftovers
    Careful | 252 HP / 224 SpD / 24 Spe
    Wish | Body Slam | Iron Head | Stealth Rock

Hope this helps!
  15. Living So Zambian

Living So Zambian formerly VN.
    is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderator

Belgium too strong.

Anyways I can definitely see a weakness to Choice Band Terrakion here, as well as Swords Dance variants.This team is actually really neat and uses some innovative strategies for Rain Stall. Anyways, have you considered a Tangrowth over your Gastrodon? Tangrowth is a pretty underrated Pokemon and is a good counter to all Terrakion sets for the most part, thanks to its great bulk and super effective STAB. Tangrowth is one of the few Pokemon that can take CB Terrakion Close Combats without being 2HKOd, as well, thanks to Leftovers and its great bulk and Regenerator assures that it can be taking them all game. Between your Tentacruel, Tangrowth and entry hazards, CB Terrakion will have almost no way of breaking through your team. Tangrowth is also a pretty nice check to Jirachi, as it can beat all variants that lack Psychic with Earthquake, given that Psyshock does a negligible amount of damage and Tangrowth resists all of the other common moves on SubCM Jirachi. Finally, Tangrowth also functions as a decent switchin to Rotom-W and can simply take whatever it throws at it under the rain and recover it off upon the switch. Rotom-W doesn't look too troublesome for this team though, to be honest. Between Chansey and Dragonite you seem to have it handled.

[​IMG]
    Tangrowth (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Regenerator
    EVs: 252 HP / 28 Atk / 228 Def
    - Giga Drain
    - Earthquake
    - Sleep Powder
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

Additionally, I think you could make some small objective changes. For one thing, I'd run 16 Speed on Skarmory, which brings you to 180 Speed. You don't lose that much bulk-wise and reaching 180 is quite useful for Skarmory, since many Choice Band Tyranitar and Jellicent run enough to have 179 Speed, and outspeeding such Pokemon might come in handy if you need to KO/Phaze them or set a layer of Spikes before they attack. I'd also really like to advocate for Toxic on Chansey. Rain Stall usually doesn't have too much trouble with status as Chansey should be taking most Scalds and you can scout for Toxic easier and go to Chansey when that is used. Toxic is actually extremely useful on Chansey, as it allows it to beat Celebi, Latias and Volcarona 1 on 1, which it doesn't otherwise. These Pokemon actually have the potential to be problematic, especially if Politoed is rid of, given that it's your only Pokemon with Toxic. Toxic is also useful for catching common stallbreakers that may switch in on Chansey, such as Mew or Jellicent, and also for strong Physical threats like Terrakion that may switch in as well. Overall I really think you could optimize Chansey's ability to beat top special attackers via Toxic, while Heal Bell isn't needed all that much since Chansey functions as a Pseudo status absorber thanks to natural cure.

Change Summary:

Skarmory:
    Current EVs-> 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe

Chansey:
    Heal Bell->Toxic
  16. ZoroDark

ZoroDark

I added Karpman's changes and they worked very well. I'll edit them later. The loss of being able to recover burns or a Spore from Breloom is annoying, but it is manageable, especially when losing to Offensive CM Latios isn't happening anymore.
    @BTzz CMVirizion isn't such a threat since I'll make sure Toxic Spikes will be up and then Tentacruel and Chansey can stall him to death, SpDef Jirachi certainly was an asset to my team, but I like Tangrowth more. More Suggestions anyone?
  17. ZoroDark

ZoroDark

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)