Other Best of the worst (PU)

Yo, noobcubed here, haven't done an RMT since Gen V, so I thought now might be a good time to get back into things. This team has got me to around #150 in the PU ladder but currently I'm stuck there. Hoping to break into the top 100 some time soon, and just feel the team needs a bit of tweaking before it gets there.

Here we go, then:

Basculin @ Choice Band

- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Zen Headbutt
- Crunch

Ability: Adaptability
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
So Basculin, who is super-underrated in my opinion, is the principle threat that the team is built around. A simple threat but there really isn't all that much besides Avalugg, Tangela and Carracosta (at a push) that can switch in safely. Most of the time I'll be spamming the STAB moves but Zen Headbutt smacks Poliwrath and Roselia, and Crunch mauls Gourgeist. I've gone for Adamant over Jolly as paralysis support means that the extra power is more useful.

Ninetales @ Life Orb

- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball
- Nasty Plot
- Substitute

Ability: Flash Fire
252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
I mentioned Avalugg, Tangela and Carracosta as roadblocks to Basculin; well, Ninetales OHKOs the lot of them, and is hence a perfect partner. This is again a very standard set which I don't really have too much to say about, but it seems pretty good at punching holes in more defensive teams that give it the breathing space to set up a Nasty Plot, allowing Basculin and Haunter to clean up whatever is left. Substitute is very useful to help keep Sucker Punch users like Pawniard in check.

Tangela @ Eviolite

- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power Fire
- Sleep Powder
- Knock Off

Ability: Regenerator
240 HP / 252 SpA / 16 Spe
Rash Nature
Completing the third part of the classic Fire/Water/Grass core, offensive Tangela is proving pretty neat as a catch-all check/counter to loads of dangerous threats. While it does have some trouble with opposing Grass-types, HP Fire can at least punish them somewhat; more prominently it helps me deal with Pawniard. Sleep Powder wins plenty of momentum and it can also cover very well the Ground-types that Probopass attracts, taking a pittance from just about all of them besides Ice Punch Marowak.

Probopass @ Leftovers

- Power Gem
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock

Ability: Sturdy
252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
For some reason I ran Toxic on this thing for ages, but Thunder Wave is proving way more useful. Admittedly it does mean I can't touch Ground-types, but double-switching into Tangela is generally more effective than clicking Toxic was anyway. So this thing, again, is a catch-all check, paralysis spreader and momentum grabber. My only concern is its propensity to getting worn down, and I've been considering running WishTect over Roost on Togetic to help, but I don't have the moveslots unfortunately.

Haunter @ Choice Scarf

- Sludge Bomb
- Shadow Ball
- Trick
- Destiny Bond

Ability: Levitate
252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
Standard revenge-killer and late-game cleaner. Can't really switch in on anything apart from Choice-locked stuff, but does help me significantly with Arbok which has otherwise been a problem Pokemon for the team to deal with as Gunk Shot/Earthquake tears through my Tangela/Probopass/Togetic core with ease. Outrunning other common Scarfers like Mr Mime and Rotom-F is also really useful.

Togetic @ Eviolite

- Seismic Toss
- Roost
- Defog
- Heal Bell

Ability: Serene Grace (literally, all three abilities are totally useless on this set, thanks GameFreak)
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
This slot has at various points been filled by everything from Avalugg to Scraggy, but Togetic is putting in a real shift and is providing the support and resistances the team needs. It takes on the Fighting- and Ground-types that Probopass runs away from; it removes Dark-types for Haunter (although screw Pursuit); it can heal Tangela who is a magnet for Toxic. In one match I had to resign when this thing was left one-on-one versus a Drifblim, but overall I still feel Seismic Toss is the more reliable option over Dazzling Gleam.

Anyway, any comments or ideas you have for improvements would be gratefully received. Thanks :)

I have just started PU, but I really like using CSpecs Chatot. It is fairly fast and it's Boomburst is pretty insane. It pretty much OHKOs everything except Probopass (2HKO) and Haunter (easily counterable). Probopass can only retaliate using Volt Switch (does 50% damage to Chatot but switches out) and Power Gem (2HKOs Chatot but is too slow). I used a the PS calculator for this. Try countering Chatot with Golem:

0 Atk Golem Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Chatot: 474-558 (161.7 - 190.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Chatot can only 3HKO Golem. Golem can also use the famous EdgeQuake combo (Earthquake + Stone Edge) very nicely. All the Pokemon on you team look pretty useful, so I can't decide which one to get rid of. It's your choice.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey noobcubed, this is a cool looking balance team you have. Before I rate, just gonna suggest that you use Showdown importable for your sets and add an importable in a hide tag at the bottom so it's easier to see/rate the team. Anyway, looking at the team it's got a few sets that are just bad. Knock off on tangela really isn't amazing, and giga drain is a better option for more reliable grass STAB. However, if you want to keep it, run a modest nature on tangela. Why cut into its defenses for a piss weak knock off when it's only there to remove items, not do damage? I'd also run sludge wave over sludge bomb on haunter, as without it quilladin walls a significant portion of your team (bulletproof tho). Flash cannon is also better than power gem on probopass, steel is simply a better STAB to spam than rock.

So as far as set changes, I only have one really. Spdef probopass passive at best, and given the bulky offensive nature of your team I think an offensive pivot probopass would work better for you.

Sexy ferret (Probopass) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Earth Power

Offensive pivot helps your team by giving it more offensive presence and still providing a specially bulky mon. The main attraction is that you can now trap pawniard, which otherwise has a field day with your team, particularly the defensive core. It also helps check a lot of the things tangela does like Golem and Piloswine, as tangela is currently your only switchin to Leafeon and Machoke meaning that it's probably gonna get knocked off a lot. The speed EVs are for creeping Piloswine, although running more for Piloswine that are creeping the creeping Probopass is also fine. I like the whole balance squad though, cool team man.

I have just started PU, but I really like using CSpecs Chatot. It is fairly fast and it's Boomburst is pretty insane. It pretty much OHKOs everything except Probopass (2HKO) and Haunter (easily counterable). Probopass can only retaliate using Volt Switch (does 50% damage to Chatot but switches out) and Power Gem (2HKOs Chatot but is too slow). I used a the PS calculator for this. Try countering Chatot with Golem:

0 Atk Golem Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Chatot: 474-558 (161.7 - 190.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Chatot can only 3HKO Golem. Golem can also use the famous EdgeQuake combo (Earthquake + Stone Edge) very nicely. All the Pokemon on you team look pretty useful, so I can't decide which one to get rid of. It's your choice.
Uh, he has a ghost type and a probopass, he's definitely not weak to specs chatot. And defensive Golem is pretty bad. This really doesn't make any sense.

edit: hp fighting is an option over trick/destiny bond on haunter to hit probopass and lure pawniard that you might want to consider

@ Megazard cool, I'll definitely try out offensive Probopass, although I question whether the set you provide is actually able to trap Pawniard: 252+ Atk Pawniard Low Kick vs. 172 HP / 0 Def Probopass: 316-372 (103.9 - 122.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO. And I have seen Low Kick Pawniard a lot more that you might expect on the ladder.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
@ Megazard cool, I'll definitely try out offensive Probopass, although I question whether the set you provide is actually able to trap Pawniard: 252+ Atk Pawniard Low Kick vs. 172 HP / 0 Def Probopass: 316-372 (103.9 - 122.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO. And I have seen Low Kick Pawniard a lot more that you might expect on the ladder.
It's a cool lure, but far from standard. But yeah, can't trap that set

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)