1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Best of X Tournaments

Discussion in 'Inside Poop - April Fool's Day 2011' started by Heysup, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Heysup

Heysup Monsters are dangerous and kings are dying like flies.
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Ok I don't get why we use Bo1 when it's the smallest possible sample size of battles we can have. I get haxed by fucking idiots all of the time. They WoW hit my Metagross but my MM doesn't hit them back WTF. Anyway,

To make hax even we simply need to have more battles. Bo3 are still haxy because man it's only 3 samples.

So my idea is to make it Bo Infinity. My logic is simple:

In an infinite number of battles, hax will - in theory - even out considering it's supposed to do that over time or something (I'm no math major but LN is so it can't be that hard).

Don't give me this bullshit about making teams, use the same one and don't use gimmicks like Shedinja or 36 Speed Milotic or you'll lose anyway cause you're retarded.

Unless you support hax, support this change as a requirement for all tournaments. Especially Smogon Tour.
  2. darkie

darkie i didn't choose the mug lyfe
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Super Moderatoris a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Public Relations

that seems excessive. how about something more doable like best of 649 (number of pokemon as of gen v)?
  3. IronBullet93

IronBullet93 free as a bird
    is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor

best of 9.9

4. whistle

whistle
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

lim(x/2,x,infinity) = infinity and you can't win more than infinity games so this will never get done... god youre fucking stupid
  5. LonelyNess

LonelyNess PK FLASH
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

whistle's math checks out

you can trust me, it's my major.
  6. Heysup

whistle you can play an infinite amount of matches if you have an infinite amount of time can't you

I'm assuming by the time we put this into PR that there will be a way to put our souls into computers and live forever.
  7. Heysup

I guess I'd be fine with bo649
  8. Umbreon Dan

Umbreon Dan 〉λ=
    is a CAP Contributor Alumnus

what's wrong with the classic best of 2?
  9. LonelyNess

LonelyNess PK FLASH
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

^ I don't see what's wrong with this
  10. franky

franky
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

fuk dat im goin for coin flips for tournies
  11. Heysup

too much hax in best of 2s. That's the problem, otherwise it's a perfectly good idea that will give a clear winner.
  12. JabbaTheGriffin

JabbaTheGriffin Stormblessed
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

once again you guys are being fucking retarded

best of 2 means the players can split 1-1

make it best of 2.5. after approximately half the third battle is done, the players can send a log to the tournament runner who can then decide who would have won the match if it was played out. this cancels out shit like last turn crits which can ruin a game so it's the best way to downplay luck
  13. whistle

whistle
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

actually jabba you're wrong, since in a boX you need to win 1 more game than half of x. 2/x is 1 which means you just need to win 2 games to win. if you are truly the better player it shouldn't be a problem to win 2/2 games.
  14. EspyJoel

EspyJoel Espy <3
    is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I've got an even better solution with the bo2. If one person wins both games, they go through. If it's 1-1, both players are out of the tournament as they clearly both aren't good enough. Finally, if a person loses 2-0 they get banned from Smogon since they clearly suck and we should be aiming to get rid of shitty battlers from the site.
  15. cookie

cookie Adominnustrata
    is a Super Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor
    Soc. Forums Leader

Playing infinity battles is evidently counterintuitive to the pressed schedule of a tournament, but playing few battles results suffer from being strongly influenced by hax. We know that in a given matchup there is a probability that a person will win, and as such the error on the outcome it Poisson-based, or the square root of the number of wins. For example, if you were to win 100 games your actual win margin can in fact be anything between 90 to 110, taking hax into account. 90 is the lower limit where the player got haxed to shit, while 110 is the upper bound where he was getting critical hits every time.

This way, we can keep BO1 or BO3, because we can just quantify the hax.
  16. macle

macle frog jesus died for your sins
    is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Little Cup Co-Leader

lets just do drinking contests so joel loses everytime
  17. undisputed

undisputed
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis Smogon Frontier's Frontier Lackeyis a Past WCoP Winner

what about we do a best of 1/0 and theorymon the whole thing. then we don't even have to worry about simulator mechanics since the matches wont even exist!
  18. monkfish

monkfish what are birds?
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

why dont we judge matches based on the decisions made at each juncture of the game. for every turn that player A retains momentum over player B, he gets a point and vice versa. when the game is finished, the winner is whoever has the most points. seems reasonable to me and avoids having to play battles more than once which is the primary concern
  19. PK Gaming

PK Gaming Pursuing My True Self
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

I say we reinforce the anti-hax formula. Problem solved.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)