OU Best Pokemon in RBY in OU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for the bump but I'd say that excluding ubers snorlax is the best pokemon in RBY.

I'm at the point now where I'd prefer snorlax over tauros if I had to choose between the two. Tauros can sweep teams, but they need to be really crippled beforehand. Snorlax can sweep healthy teams as long as minimal conditions are met. Of course, like tauros he needs luck, but it's much easier to set him up and he can sweep healthier pokemon.

^I would like to hear your reasons for this. The main problems with Snorlax sweeping compared to Tauros are:
1) He's very slow, so he relies much more heavily on paralysis support.
2) He's very slow, so he gets walled by basically anything that gets a Reflect up due to his lack of Crits.

In what ways is Snorlax better at sweeping other than a slight raw power advantage? IMO Snorlax's strength is that he can be used for all kinds of roles, not just (or necessarily) sweeping.

Like I said before, I think that Snorlax is a more unique pokemon and is therefore more irreplaceable in a team, but Tauros is overall a better pokemon.

In what ways is Snorlax better at sweeping other than a slight raw power advantage?
Harder to capitalise on if Hyper Beam fails to KO, and proportionately less damage from enemy Snorlax's Counter? Threatening switches with your own Counter?

They're not big advantages, but they are there.

Snorlax is the second most difficult pokemon to check and doesn't need para support for that. It explodes with the most powerful explosion in the game. Snorlax is 6hkoed by Chansey so snorlax can capitalize on it on it more than Tauros can and use rest effectively and easily rest loop on chansey. Can even run reflect amnesia and counter to good success.

Still, it is not in the level of Tauros but neither is replaceable in the sense that if you replace one you will be left with an inferior team overall.

Omanyte- I'm not talking about standard lax though, I'm talking about tanklaxes. Specifically, amnesia+reflectlax. ARlax doesn't really need para support, and has much more survivability than tauros or standard laxes. That's what makes him capable of sweeping 4+ healthy pokemon.

The best switch in to standardlax is probably tanklax (assuming you're unsure of what move they'll use). Most of the time, the best thing standardlax can do is trade with self-destruct, and even then he needs a bit of luck.

Omanyte- I'm not talking about standard lax though, I'm talking about tanklaxes. Specifically, amnesia+reflectlax. ARlax doesn't really need para support, and has much more survivability than tauros or standard laxes. That's what makes him capable of sweeping 4+ healthy pokemon.

The best switch in to standardlax is probably tanklax (assuming you're unsure of what move they'll use). Most of the time, the best thing standardlax can do is trade with self-destruct, and even then he needs a bit of luck.
Which attacking move do you use on your Amnesialax (I'm assuming you use Rest)? Surf?

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
It's tricky. Surf is walled by Chansey, Body Slam needs to PP stall Gengar and needs to use a lot of hits to beat Rocks. I've also seen Psychic. Overall, I think Body Slam is standard.

yeah Body Slam is the best one. Surf is also walled by Starmie btw. Ice Beam too and only has 16 pp, but can freeze. It can also be walled by rest cloyster or rest lapras. Psychic is walled by the three recoverers and only has 16 pp, but 2 spc falls will let snorlax beat any of the three (sometimes only 1 spc fall is needed, but it would be easier to recover and waste pp). Thunderbolt is walled by rhydon and golem as well as chansey.

Obligatory Tauros, Rhydon, Chansey, Golem mentions. We all know why these are basically the best of the best. Tauros has STAB Hyper Beam, Rhydon and Golem hard counter Zapdos and have STAB SlideQuake combo, and Chansey is just a goddamn special wall with powerful Ice Beams.

Worth noting that walling it with Chansey will use up Chansey's entire supply of Softboiled PP to run the Tanklax out of Surf.
The thing is that between all that time Chansey would've enjoyed an over 70% chance of freezing Snorlax as well. Of course, if chansey is paralyzed then it's another story because two fps in a row or something like that will let snorlax go through chasney.

The thing is that between all that time Chansey would've enjoyed an over 70% chance of freezing Snorlax as well. Of course, if chansey is paralyzed then it's another story because two fps in a row or something like that will let snorlax go through chasney.
Indeed, Chansey has to be paralysed. Fortunately, that's not at all hard to do. Paralysing (or killing) Starmie, on the other hand, is a lot harder, while simultaneously being even more necessary since Starmie won't run out of Recover PP.

Don't forget about Slowbro btw. I did, damn. Body Slam usually beats it (bar reflect), tbolt basically always, Ice beam only with freeze, but Surf never bar 100+ turn pp stall if lax survives all slowbro's surfs.

Omanyte I was referring to using body slam, it's the most dangerous.

You get walled by gengar, but that's why I don't let my zam take sleep anymore. There are other problems as well like slowbro or reflectzam, but for me it's still way too dangerous to not be the best pokemon in OU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)