Bewear [QC 3/3] [GP 0/1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

[OVERVIEW]

* Bewear is an excellent tank thanks to its ability Fluffy, which reduces all contact moves (even special ones) by half, allowing it to counter physical attackers like Tapu Bulu, Tyranitar, Weavile, and Kartana.
* Bewear's Normal/Fighting typing gives him a Dark-type resistance, which is important against Tyranitar, Weavile, and Bisharp, and an immunity to Ghost-type moves. It also takes reduced damage from Stealth Rock.
* Bewear's high base attack along with powerful moves allows it to punch holes in the opponents team with Choice Band.
* Bewear's typing is commonly exploited by common threats such as Tapu Lele, Hoopa-U, Heatran, Volcanion, Pheromosa, and Mega Pinsir. It also gets walled by Ghost-types such as Mega Sableye, Mimikyu, and Shedinja.
* Bewear has no access to reliable recovery moves, which makes it hard to consistently check physical attackers it needs to. It must rely on support moves like Wish from other Pokemon to restore its health.
* Low Special Defense means Bewear can't take much from special attackers like Tapu Koko, Heatran, and Magearna unless its already healthy.
* Due to Bewear's low Speed, it gets outsped by the likes of Tapu Koko and Hoopa-U and always has to attack second aside from a few instances like Toxapex, Ferotthorn, and Sassy Celesteela.

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Hammer Arm
move 2: Return
move 3: Facade/Ice Punch
move 4: Earthquake
item: Choice Band
ability: Fluffy
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Hammer Arm is the main STAB move, allowing it to have coverage against major threats like Celesteela, Bisharp, Tyranitar, Skarmory, Weavile, Ferrothorn, and Heatran in exchange for a speed drop.
* Return is used to hit things hard when Hammer Arm/Superpower isn't simply effective, like with Tapu Fini, Azumarill, Toxapex, and Mega Venusaur. Double-Edge can also be used to hit things harder, but Bewear loses HP each time it uses, so it isn't recommended.
* Facade allows Bewear to do extra damage if it gets statused. It also allows Bewear not to be a dead weight when it's burned and still be able to put some work if it gets paralyzed or poisoned. Alternatively, Ice Punch allows Bewear to hurt Flying-, and Ground-type Pokemon like Landorus-T, Garchomp, Dragonite, Salamence, and Zygarde.
* Earthquake is useful against Pokemon like Magearna, Alolan Marowak, Toxapex, and Jirachi, who can otherwise wall Bewear.
* Superpower and Double-Edge are more powerful versions of Hammer Arm and Return, allowing Bewear to hit things harder. However, both of them reduce Bewear's durability by either lowering its Attack or Defense, or by taking recoil damage, something Bewear can't afford.

Set Details
========

* 252 HP EVs allow Bewear to tank hits from both sides better, while 252 Atk EVs along with an Adamant nature maximize its offensive capabilities.
* Fluffy is the only viable ability, as the 2 other abilities are useless and Fluffy allows Bewear to tank contact physical hits.
* Choice Band is the preffered item, as it allows Bewear to hit extra hard against foes.

Usage Tips
========

* Since Bewear is bulky enough to take a physical hit, you can switch it against physical attackers like Weavile or Tyranitar safely and deal massive damage against an opposing Pokemon with its strong moves. It can also take on Tapu Bulu most of the time.
* Avoid picking Superpower/Return if there is a Ghost-type Pokemon on the team, since it can come in and force Bewear to switch. However, you can try predicting a Ghost-type switch-in and use Shadow Claw.
* Bewear has problems taking super effective moves from the likes of Hoopa-U, Tapu Fini, and Magearna. It can even have problems against super effective physical contact moves from Pheromosa, Buzzwole, and Mega Pinsir. Think twice before sending it in.
* Bewear shouldn't stay in against special attackers that can safely check it, like Tapu Lele, Magearna, Mega Alakazam, and Mega Charizard-Y.
* Bewear has the physical bulk to take hits from major threats like Pheromosa, and Mega Pinsir, and if the trade-off is worth it, Bewear can severly damage them in order to pick them off with an another Pokemon.
* With a little bit of prediction, Bewear can safely take out Pokemon who are weak to Ice, like Landorus-T, Dragonite, Garchomp, Zygarde, and Salamence, with Ice Punch on their switch in.

Team Options
========

* Bewear appreciates special walls like Celesteela, Alolan Muk, and Tapu Fini it can safely switch into.
* Jirachi is useful if you want to keep Bewear's health up with Wish support.
* Poison-types such as Toxapex, and Mega Venusaur is an excellent partner to Bewear, as they can wall Fighting-type Pokemon like Pheromosa, and Buzzwole.
* Alolan Muk is also a great partner with Bewear, since it can beat Psychic- and Fairy-type Pokemon like Tapu Lele, Tapu Fini, and Latios, trap Psychic- and Ghost-types like Latios, Gengar, and Mimikyu, and can wall special hits so that Bewear can safely come out and wreck havoc.
* Stealth Rock setters like Garchomp, Landorus-T, Tyranitar, and Nihilego can threaten Flying-type Pokemon, who are a threat to Bewear otherwise.
* Magnezone can be used to trap Skarmory, and Celesteela, who can wall Bewear with their excellent defenses and stall tactics.
* Other Steel-type Pokemon like Heatran, Mega Metagross, Ferrothorn, and Excadrill can check Psychic- and Fairy-type Pokemon that can threaten Bewear like Tapu Lele, Tapu Koko, Latios, and Latias, although all of them have to be weary of Focus Blast from Tapu Lele.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

* Bewear can run either a Swords Dance or a Substitute set, taking advantage of its natural bulk, although this isn't recommended, as it's very slow to pull this these sets off.
* Life Orb can be held instead of Choice Band to allow Bewear to freely select its moves, but it won't hit as hard as a Choice Band set, and it will take damage every time it uses a move, making it very inefficient.
* Shadow Claw is useful against Pokemon like Gengar, Alolan Marowak, and Mimikyu, who can otherwise wall Bewear and threaten it with super effective moves, although these Pokemons are mostly niche and isn't as common as Steel-types, which Earthquake can handle better.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Special attackers**: Bewear's meddling special defense allows special attackers like Tapu Lele, Hoopa-U, Latios, and Magearna to run over Bewear easily. It also doesn't help that the majority of relevant special attacker in the metagame are Psychic-, and/or Fairy-type Pokemon, exploiting Bewear's weaknesses.

**Ghost-type Pokemon**: Ghost-types like Mega Sableye, Shedinja, Gengar, and Mimikyu are a big threat against Bewear, simply because they are immune to its main STAB moves. Mega Sableye can safely switch in against Bewear and spread burn with Will-O-Wisp, Shedinja can only get hurt by Shadow Claw, Mimikyu can easily force Bewear out to get a +4 Attack boost, and Gengar can outspeed and OHKO Bewear with Focus Blast.

**Fighting-type Pokemon**: Pokemon like Pheromosa, Buzzwole, and Terrakion can check Bewear efficiently thanks to their super effective moves. However, with the exception of Buzzwole, they must damage Bewear by other means before facing it, because if they don't, Bewear can tank super effective hits from all of them and OHKO them with either Superpower or Return.

**Psychic-type Pokemon**: Tapu Lele, Mega Metagross, Hoopa-U, Mega Alakazam, Latios, and Latias can easily beat Bewear with a Psychic-type move due to their incredible power and their speed, OHKOing it easily, while Bewear can only really hurt them if they switch in to it. Only Mega Metagross needs to hurt Bewear beforehand in order to safely take him on, otherwise Bewear can take a Zen Headbutt and severly damage it with Hammer Arm or Earthquake.

**Fairy-type Pokemon**: A majority of Fairy-type Pokemon such as Tapu Lele, Magearna, Mimikyu, Azumarill, and Tapu Fini can outspeed Bewear and potentially OHKO it with a Fairy-type move. With the exception of Tapu Lele and Magearna, they must have damaged beforehand or set up, otherwise Bewear can tank through their hits once and OHKO them with Return or Shadow Claw for Mimikyu.

**Flying-type Pokemon**: Gyarados, and Landorus-T can check Bewear and OHKO it with Supersonic Skystrike in return. Mega Pinsir, and Salamence can take advantage of Bewear's weakness and OHKO it as well, though they do have trouble switching in to Bewear outside of Earthquake. All of them must also damage Bewear beforehand, otherwise Bewear can tank the hits and OHKO all of them with Return or Ice Punch.

**Fire-type Pokemon**: Pokemon like Heatran, and Mega Charizard-Y can check Bewear with their Fire-type move, while Alolan Marowak can switch in to anything except Shadow Claw or Earthquake and can threaten it with Will-O-Wisp combined with Flare Blitz. However, they must damage Bewear beforehand in order to OHKO it, otherwise, it can take them out either by Superpower, Return or Shadow Claw/Earthquake.

**Steel-type Pokemon that is neutral to Fighting-type moves**: Some Steel-type Pokemon like Skarmory, Celesteela, Mega Metagross, and Mega Scizor, can check Bewear and wear it down by either restoring their health to take advantage of Superpower, or just 2HKO'ing it. Bewear can't hit them for super effective damage with Superpower, so it has to resort to either spamming Superpower to damage them, or be forced to switch out.

Last edited:
I would put av bewear as an optional set because bewear doesn't rly use moves outside of damaging 1 and fluffy+av makes him quite tanky on both sides. He doesn't get ohko'ed by powerful, frail special attackers and can fire off stabmoves to kill them instead.

Not the best English ik...

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
No on AssVest. Assault Vest attempts to mangle Bewear into something that it isn't honestly. Bewear should not try to aim to take Special attacks, but contact moves like Mega Scizor's while dishing solid damage with Choice Band.

As requested by the OP I have decided to look into the set to see if I could offer insight on it before sending it off to QC. As stated in Discord, bear in mind these are merely suggestions and you are more than free to dispute them.
* 120/80 physical defense combined with Fluffy allows Bewear to counter physical attackers like Genesect, Scizor, Tapu Bulu, Tyranitar, Wevaile and Kartana.
* 125 Attack combined with high Base Power moves allows Bewear to punch holes in the opponents team with Choice Band.
* Low 60 Special Defense means Bewear can't take much from special attacks unless its already healthy.
* Due to Bewear's 60 Speed, it can't outspeed the opponent and always has to attack second aside from a few instances like Toxapex, Ferotthorn and Sassy Celesteela.
So as I mentioned in the chat the majority of C&C agrees that mentioning stats are usually superfluous. They are already listed right next to the Pokemon so the person can see what stats it has. Thus, removal of the numbering is needed.

You can keep how its durable physically as an example (as it's true with Fluffy it is) and how its low Speed and Special Defense leave it vulnerable to faster Pokemon such as Tapu Koko and Hoopa-U. Great that you've listed examples here too, so you won't see me complain on that.
* Bewear is weak to Fighting-, Flying-, Psychic-, Fairy,- and Fire-types moves, all of which are commonly seen with threats such as Tapu Lele, Mega Pinsir, Hoopa-U and Alolan Marowak.
I feel there are much better ways to word this as also discussed. First off Fluffy can halve a lot of these attacks, so them being Super Effective is realistically just doing neutral damage to it. To be fair, it's doing damage, but I feel typing is not the way to go about this. Even though Fluffy theoretically gives it a Fire-type weakness contact Fire-type moves remain neutral (Flare Blitz in particular, Fire Punch to a lesser extent). Also notice that most physical Fire-type moves are usually contact moves too. Definitely note that its typing leaves it exploitable to certain threats, but I feel you need to focus more on those that hit it from its Special Defense side than those that hit it physically (Alolan Marowak is only threatening when burning it to be honest).
* Bewear has no access to recovery moves and must rely on support moves like Wish to restore its health.
Technically, Pain Split can be seen as a recovery move (Rotom-W for example uses it). I would say "lack of reliable recovery moves" more than anything.

First set is pretty close, but make sure you have the spacing properly. I would also just run the remaining 4 EVs in Speed unless 4 Def EVs REALLY does something special (they might too with Fluffy in mind). I'll let QC handle the EV spread on it, though max HP is probably fine you probably would get a little more on maximizing Defense with Fluffy in mind (to be fair Special contact moves like Grass Knot exists).

[SET]
move 1: Hammer Arm / Superpower
move 2: Return / Double-Edge
move 3: Ice Punch
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe

* Return is used to hit things hard when Hammer Arm/Superpower isn't simply effective. Double-Edge can also be used to hit things harder, but Bewear loses HP each time it uses, so it isn't recommended.
I find it a little bit odd on how you list Pokemon that Hammer Arm hits but nothing for Return. Mention how it hits Tapu Fini, Azumarill, and Mega Venusaur (just as random examples).
* Ice Punch allows Bewear to hurt Flying-, and Ground-type Pokemon like Landorus-T, Garchomp, Thundurus, Dugtrio and Zygarde.
Something to BEAR in mind is that STAB Return actually hits harder than Ice Punch and has no drawbacks (the same for Hammer Arm but drawbacks). Let's modify the list to Landorus-T, Garchomp, Zygarde, Dragonite, and Salamence. These are pretty good examples.
* Earthquake is useful against Pokemon like Alolan Marowak and Toxapex, who can otherwise wall Bewear.
I would also argue it is Bewear's best attack versus Magearna and Jirachi - though the former probably won't switch too often if its the offensive set and legitimately threatens Bewear. Jirachi rarely carries a Psychic-type attack.
* Fluffy is the only viable ablity, as the 2 other abilities are useless and Fluffy allows Bewear to tank physical hits.
Remember that it doesn't allow Bewear to tank all physical hits, only contact physical hits. Specify.

I would re-work Usage Tips a bit. You aren't completely wrong in your Usage Tips, but some of the advice is rather redundant (1st and 3rd, 4th and 5th lines to a point) and they don't really convey much else; especially since it is the only set for Bewear. One example I find odd to mention is the 4th line - why would any player switch Bewear into those Pokemon outside of a Choice locked option favorable for it? Don't take it the wrong way, I just feel that you could list things a little better without being too redundant on it either.
* Bewear appreciates special walls like Celesteela, Chansey/Blissey, Alolan Muk and Clefable it can safely switch into. Chansey/Blissey and Clefable can also restore its health with Wish Support.
Two things:

1) Remove Blissey. Blissey is not getting an analysis.
2) Remove Wish from Chansey (and obviously Blissey). Wish is not even listed in its analysis outside of Other Options. I'm not even joking.

You can mention something else. Jirachi, for example, can switch into some of Bewear's problematic Pokemon (Psychic-types and some Special Attackers) and utilize Wish to heal Bewear. It can also slow down threats with Body Slam. It doesn't synergize against Fire-types such as Heatran for example, but to be fair neither does Clefable. Alomamola is close but, you know, Bloom Doom shenanigasms. :|
Tapu Lele is an excellent partner to Bewear, as Psychic Terrain blocks priority moves and Tapu Lele can beat Fighting-type Pokemon like Pheromosa and Buzzwole.

(Don't take this personal by the way).

Uh, what priority attacks? Conkeldurr (not getting an analysis even)? Azumarill? I mean MAYBE on the latter but the latter will likely outspeed you with Jolly anyway and just try to smash you with Play Rough (hell might even set up on non-Return locks). Basically, don't mention Tapu Lele to block priority as far as Bewear is concerned.
* Alolan Muk is also a great partner with Bewear, since it can beat Psychic- and Fairy-type Pokemon like Tapu Lele, Tapu Fini, Latios and Azumarill and it can wall special hits.
Speaking of Azumarill:

+6 252 Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Muk-Alola: 562-663 (135.7 - 160.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Yeah... not really seeing that one to be honest fam.
* Pelipper can support Bewear with Drizzle, as it negates the Fire-type weakness Bewear gains from Fluffy.
Pelipper technically can do more than that. It can cripple foes with Toxic or Scald among other things. Furthermore, what examples does Bewear bring that it can handle but rain can't? There are some for example, but I'll leave it to you to decide what those are.
* Stealth Rock setters like Garchomp, Landorus-T and Tyranitar can threaten Flying-type Pokemon, who are a threat to Bewear otherwise.
Currently Tyranitar analysis does not have Stealth Rock as its option. Hell at least Nihilego cheeses some of the Fairies.
Other Options

* Shadow Claw is an option to hit Psychic- and Ghost-types super effectively, who would otherwise can run over Bewear.
List examples, but honestly most Psychic-types don't like switching into STAB Return (lesser extent STAB Double-Edge) anyway. The only ones off the top of my head are Mew and Necrozma. Gengar is prone to Earthquake so that's kind of out too. I would just mention it to hit Shedinja instead of Ghost-types since it's the only other Ghost-type not hit by any of the other moves Bewear has. You're just doomed against Mega Sableye.

EDIT: Okay I forgot Mimikyu, so that's another Ghost-type you can mention.
**Azumarill**: Azumarill's insane damage potential, combined with Choice Band, is simply too much for Bewear, as it gets OHKO'd by Play Rough.
I would probably just mention outside of Return locks Azumarill will just set up Belly Drum and crush you. Choice Band is super rare on Azumarill.

Speaking of Checks and Counters, you mentioned Mega Pinsir earlier but didn't even list it as a Check or Counter. Eh? I'd clean up Checks and Counters a bit to be honest. What you have so far definitely outlines some examples, but let's be fair here:

- Majority of Fairy-types will counter Bewear (those that are faster, anyway) and pack a Fairy-type move.
- Buzzwole and Pheromosa are Fighting-types that do enough damage to hamper Bewear. But real talk it's crazy the Defense investment can make instead:

252 Atk Life Orb Pheromosa High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Bewear: 346-408 (77.9 - 91.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Pheromosa High Jump Kick vs. 4 HP / 252 Def Bewear: 265-312 (69.3 - 81.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I was bored on that one. Don't change the EV spread though.

Anyway, yeah. Mention that Fighting-types technically Check Bewear really well (Buzzwole is close to a counter outside of repeated STAB Returns). You can add Terrakion to the list as an example too.

Flying-types such as Gyarados and Landorus-T also check it - Gyarados is a little better in terms of taking Ice Punch while Landorus-T kind of takes Return / Hammer Arm a bit better. They both could opt to use Supersonic Skystrike to just nuke through Bewear too. This is especially true for Salamence who can use that opportunity for a Moxie boost (though it struggles to switch into anything outside of Earthquake and maybe Hammer Arm).

Fire-types such as Heatran and Mega Charizard Y should really be added. It's weird how you talked about Fluffy's vulnerability to Fire-type moves in the beginning and don't even mention Fire-types as a check to Bewear. You can maybe add Alolan Marowak here too since it can cripple Bewear and switch into both STABs without a problem (and Ice Punch, though Freeze hax I guess?).

Mega Sableye being missing is just jaw-dropping, though. Mega Sableye absolutely shuts down Bewear because Will-O-Wisp is weakening Bewear while Bewear pouts all over Mega Sableye's gems. They're truly outrageous.

You could probably add a few other mons to Checks and Counters too. Skarmory is risky, but it takes everything but the Hammer Arm fights without a problem. It's an annoying Pokemon for Bewear to bypass. Celesteela too since it can Leech Seed / Protect through non-Hammer Arm locks. Might also be a good reason to consider adding Magnezone as a potential partner :costhinking:.

Last edited:
Major thanks Colonel M for your input. The only things I slightly disagree on was adding Fire-type Pokemon and Celesteela, since Bewear could *technically* OHKO Heatran and Alolan Marowak with Earthquake (same goes for Celesteela but with Hammer Arm) but then I remembered Bewear is slow as molasses and Hammer Arm doesn't help its cause at all. I've implemented all the changes you have pointed out and now I think it's ready for QC.

No on AssVest. Assault Vest attempts to mangle Bewear into something that it isn't honestly. Bewear should not try to aim to take Special attacks, but contact moves like Mega Scizor's while dishing solid damage with Choice Band.

As requested by the OP I have decided to look into the set to see if I could offer insight on it before sending it off to QC. As stated in Discord, bear in mind these are merely suggestions and you are more than free to dispute them.

So as I mentioned in the chat the majority of C&C agrees that mentioning stats are usually superfluous. They are already listed right next to the Pokemon so the person can see what stats it has. Thus, removal of the numbering is needed.

You can keep how its durable physically as an example (as it's true with Fluffy it is) and how its low Speed and Special Defense leave it vulnerable to faster Pokemon such as Tapu Koko and Hoopa-U. Great that you've listed examples here too, so you won't see me complain on that.

I feel there are much better ways to word this as also discussed. First off Fluffy can halve a lot of these attacks, so them being Super Effective is realistically just doing neutral damage to it. To be fair, it's doing damage, but I feel typing is not the way to go about this. Even though Fluffy theoretically gives it a Fire-type weakness contact Fire-type moves remain neutral (Flare Blitz in particular, Fire Punch to a lesser extent). Also notice that most physical Fire-type moves are usually contact moves too. Definitely note that its typing leaves it exploitable to certain threats, but I feel you need to focus more on those that hit it from its Special Defense side than those that hit it physically (Alolan Marowak is only threatening when burning it to be honest).

Technically, Pain Split can be seen as a recovery move (Rotom-W for example uses it). I would say "lack of reliable recovery moves" more than anything.

First set is pretty close, but make sure you have the spacing properly. I would also just run the remaining 4 EVs in Speed unless 4 Def EVs REALLY does something special (they might too with Fluffy in mind). I'll let QC handle the EV spread on it, though max HP is probably fine you probably would get a little more on maximizing Defense with Fluffy in mind (to be fair Special contact moves like Grass Knot exists).

[SET]
move 1: Hammer Arm / Superpower
move 2: Return / Double-Edge
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe

I find it a little bit odd on how you list Pokemon that Hammer Arm hits but nothing for Return. Mention how it hits Tapu Fini, Azumarill, and Mega Venusaur (just as random examples).

Something to BEAR in mind is that STAB Return actually hits harder than Ice Punch and has no drawbacks (the same for Hammer Arm but drawbacks). Let's modify the list to Landorus-T, Garchomp, Zygarde, Dragonite, and Salamence. These are pretty good examples.

I would also argue it is Bewear's best attack versus Magearna and Jirachi - though the former probably won't switch too often if its the offensive set and legitimately threatens Bewear. Jirachi rarely carries a Psychic-type attack.

Remember that it doesn't allow Bewear to tank all physical hits, only contact physical hits. Specify.

I would re-work Usage Tips a bit. You aren't completely wrong in your Usage Tips, but some of the advice is rather redundant (1st and 3rd, 4th and 5th lines to a point) and they don't really convey much else; especially since it is the only set for Bewear. One example I find odd to mention is the 4th line - why would any player switch Bewear into those Pokemon outside of a Choice locked option favorable for it? Don't take it the wrong way, I just feel that you could list things a little better without being too redundant on it either.

Two things:

1) Remove Blissey. Blissey is not getting an analysis.
2) Remove Wish from Chansey (and obviously Blissey). Wish is not even listed in its analysis outside of Other Options. I'm not even joking.

You can mention something else. Jirachi, for example, can switch into some of Bewear's problematic Pokemon (Psychic-types and some Special Attackers) and utilize Wish to heal Bewear. It can also slow down threats with Body Slam. It doesn't synergize against Fire-types such as Heatran for example, but to be fair neither does Clefable. Alomamola is close but, you know, Bloom Doom shenanigasms. :|

(Don't take this personal by the way).

Uh, what priority attacks? Conkeldurr (not getting an analysis even)? Azumarill? I mean MAYBE on the latter but the latter will likely outspeed you with Jolly anyway and just try to smash you with Play Rough (hell might even set up on non-Return locks). Basically, don't mention Tapu Lele to block priority as far as Bewear is concerned.

Speaking of Azumarill:

+6 252 Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Muk-Alola: 562-663 (135.7 - 160.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Yeah... not really seeing that one to be honest fam.

Pelipper technically can do more than that. It can cripple foes with Toxic or Scald among other things. Furthermore, what examples does Bewear bring that it can handle but rain can't? There are some for example, but I'll leave it to you to decide what those are.

Currently Tyranitar analysis does not have Stealth Rock as its option. Hell at least Nihilego cheeses some of the Fairies.

List examples, but honestly most Psychic-types don't like switching into STAB Return (lesser extent STAB Double-Edge) anyway. The only ones off the top of my head are Mew and Necrozma. Gengar is prone to Earthquake so that's kind of out too. I would just mention it to hit Shedinja instead of Ghost-types since it's the only other Ghost-type not hit by any of the other moves Bewear has. You're just doomed against Mega Sableye.

EDIT: Okay I forgot Mimikyu, so that's another Ghost-type you can mention.

I would probably just mention outside of Return locks Azumarill will just set up Belly Drum and crush you. Choice Band is super rare on Azumarill.

Speaking of Checks and Counters, you mentioned Mega Pinsir earlier but didn't even list it as a Check or Counter. Eh? I'd clean up Checks and Counters a bit to be honest. What you have so far definitely outlines some examples, but let's be fair here:

- Majority of Fairy-types will counter Bewear (those that are faster, anyway) and pack a Fairy-type move.
- Buzzwole and Pheromosa are Fighting-types that do enough damage to hamper Bewear. But real talk it's crazy the Defense investment can make instead:

252 Atk Life Orb Pheromosa High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Bewear: 346-408 (77.9 - 91.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Pheromosa High Jump Kick vs. 4 HP / 252 Def Bewear: 265-312 (69.3 - 81.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I was bored on that one. Don't change the EV spread though.

Anyway, yeah. Mention that Fighting-types technically Check Bewear really well (Buzzwole is close to a counter outside of repeated STAB Returns). You can add Terrakion to the list as an example too.

Flying-types such as Gyarados and Landorus-T also check it - Gyarados is a little better in terms of taking Ice Punch while Landorus-T kind of takes Return / Hammer Arm a bit better. They both could opt to use Supersonic Skystrike to just nuke through Bewear too. This is especially true for Salamence who can use that opportunity for a Moxie boost (though it struggles to switch into anything outside of Earthquake and maybe Hammer Arm).

Fire-types such as Heatran and Mega Charizard Y should really be added. It's weird how you talked about Fluffy's vulnerability to Fire-type moves in the beginning and don't even mention Fire-types as a check to Bewear. You can maybe add Alolan Marowak here too since it can cripple Bewear and switch into both STABs without a problem (and Ice Punch, though Freeze hax I guess?).

Mega Sableye being missing is just jaw-dropping, though. Mega Sableye absolutely shuts down Bewear because Will-O-Wisp is weakening Bewear while Bewear pouts all over Mega Sableye's gems. They're truly outrageous.

You could probably add a few other mons to Checks and Counters too. Skarmory is risky, but it takes everything but the Hammer Arm fights without a problem. It's an annoying Pokemon for Bewear to bypass. Celesteela too since it can Leech Seed / Protect through non-Hammer Arm locks. Might also be a good reason to consider adding Magnezone as a potential partner :costhinking:.
Damn dude you're one MVP of this section. Thanks for sharing your knowledge for improving other people's analyses.

p2

Banned deucer.
[OVERVIEW]

* Bewear is an excellent tank thanks to its ability Fluffy, which reduces all contact moves (even special ones) by half, allowing it to counter physical attackers like Genesect, Scizor, Tapu Bulu, Tyranitar, Wevaile and Kartana. remove genesect since it commonly runs flamethrower
* Bewear's Normal/Fighting typing gives him a Dark-type resistance and an immunity to Ghost-type moves. It also takes reduced damage from Stealth Rock. this doesn't really tell me much, elaborate on the importance of a dark resist because being able to answer weav/ttar/bish is huge
* Bewear's high base attack along with powerful moves allows it to punch holes in the opponents team with Choice Band.
* Bewear's typing is commonly exploited by common threats such as Tapu Lele, Hoopa-U, Heatran, Volcanion, Pheromosa and Mega Pinsir. It also gets walled by Ghost-types such as Mega Sableye, Mimikyu and Shedinja.
* Bewear has no access to reliable recovery moves and must rely on support moves like Wish to restore its health. why is no reliable recovery bad, be a little more specific, no recovery means it can't constantly check the things it wants to.
* Low Special Defense means Bewear can't take much from special attackers like Tapu Koko, Heatran and Magearna unless its already healthy.
* Due to Bewear's low Speed, it gets outsped by the likes of Tapu Koko and Hoopa-U and always has to attack second aside from a few instances like Toxapex, Ferotthorn and Sassy Celesteela.

[SET]
move 1: Hammer Arm/Superpower
move 2: Return/Double-Edge

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Hammer Arm is the main STAB move, allowing it to have coverage against major threats like Celesteela, Scizor, Bisharp, Tyranitar, Skarmory, Ferrothorn and Heatran. Alternatively, Superpower can be used to hit harder in exchange for an Attack and Defense drop. superpower should be the first move followed by a hammer arm slash, its all about the power with this mon
* Return is used to hit things hard when Hammer Arm/Superpower isn't simply effective, like with Tapu Fini, Azumarill and Mega Venusaur. Double-Edge can also be used to hit things harder, but Bewear loses HP each time it uses, so it isn't recommended.
* Ice Punch allows Bewear to hurt Flying-, and Ground-type Pokemon like Landorus-T, Garchomp, Dragonite, Salamence and Zygarde.
* Earthquake is useful against Pokemon like Alolan Marowak, Toxapex and Jirachi, who can otherwise wall Bewear. i think shadow claw should be the main slash here, bewear already nukes toxapex with return and sclaw breaks rachi and a-wak. it also hits mimikyu for solid damage too.

Set Details
========

* 252 HP allows Bewear to tank hits from both sides better, while 252 Atk along with Adamant maximizes its offensive capabilities.
* Fluffy is the only viable ablity, as the 2 other abilities are useless and Fluffy allows Bewear to tank contact physical hits.
* Choice Band is the preffered item, as it allows Bewear to hit extra hard against opponents.

Usage Tips
========

* Since Bewear is bulky enough to take a physical hit, you can switch it against physical attackers like Mega Scizor or Tyranitar safely and deal massive damage against an opposing Pokemon with its strong moves.
* Avoid picking Hammer Arm/Return if there is a Ghost-type Pokemon on the team, since it can come in and force Bewear to switch.
* Bewear has problems taking super effective moves from the likes of Tapu Lele, Hoopa-U, Tapu Fini and Magearna. It can even have problems against super effective physical contact moves from Pheromosa, Buzzwole and Mega Pinsir. Think twice before sending it in. i think this is worded kinda badly. simply put, just mention that it has no business staying in on special attackers that threaten it and that it has the physical bulk to take hits from phero/pinsir and if the trade is worth it, bewear can be severely weakened in order to pick off unboosted pinsir/ physical phero

add a bit about predicting ice-weak switchins like lando-t and using ice punch when you predict them to come in

Team Options
========

* Bewear appreciates special walls like Celesteela, Chansey, Alolan Muk and Clefable it can safely switch into. Clefable can also restore its health with Wish Support. bewear is mostly an offensive tank, keep mentions of passive garbage mons like chansey and clefable out of here. if you really really want a wish passer, mention jirachi instead
* Tapu Lele is an excellent partner to Bewear, as Tapu Lele can beat Fighting-type Pokemon like Pheromosa and Buzzwole. no it cant?
* Alolan Muk is also a great partner with Bewear, since it can beat Psychic- and Fairy-type Pokemon like Tapu Lele, Tapu Fini and Latios and it can wall special hits. nothing about it pursuiting ghosts so bewear can go ham with its stabs?
* Pelipper can support Bewear with Drizzle, cripple foes with Toxic or Scald and can safely switch into Bewear with U-Turn, while in return Bewear can take care of bulky Pokemon like Tyranitar, Ferrothorn and Kyruem-Black, who would othergive give Pelipper trouble. i would never use bewear rain
* Stealth Rock setters like Garchomp, Landorus-T, Tyranitar and Nihilego can threaten Flying-type Pokemon, who are a threat to Bewear otherwise.
* Magnezone can be used to trap Skarmory and Celesteela, who can wall Bewear with their excellent defenses and stall tactics.

why is there no mention of steels which blanket check some of the biggest threats to bewear in psychics/fairies

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

* Shadow Claw is an option to hit Psychic- and Ghost-types like Mew, Necrozma, Shedinja and Mimikyu super effectively, who would otherwise can run over Bewear.
remove shadow claw and put in some things like swords dance / life orb / substitute

Checks and Counters
===================

**Special attackers**: Bewear's meddling special defense allows special attackers like Tapu Lele, Hoopa-U, Latios and Magearna to run over Bewear easily. It also doesn't help that the majority of relevant special attacker in the metagame are Psychic-, and/or Fairy-type Pokemon, exploiting Bewear's weaknesses.

**Mega Sableye**: Mega Sableye is one of the biggest counters to Bewear, as it can safely switch in against Bewear and spread burn with Will-O-Wisp, while Bewear can only use what Lusamine did and spam Baby-Doll Eyes against it Earthquake it for minor damage.

**Fighting-type Pokemon**: Pokemon like Pheromosa, Buzzwole and Terrakion can check Bewear efficiently thanks to their super effective moves. They have to be careful about switching into Bewear, as STAB Return can mess them up.

**Fairy-type Pokemon**: A majority of Fairy-type Pokemon such as Magearna, Mimikyu, Azumarill and Tapu Fini can outspeed Bewear and counter it with a Fairy-type move in return.

**Flying-type Pokemon**: Gyarados and Landorus-T can check Bewear and OHKO it with Supersonic Skystrike in return. Mega Pinsir and Salamence can take advantage of Bewear's weakness and OHKO it as well, though they do have trouble switching in to Bewear outside of Earthquake.

**Fire-type Pokemon**: Pokemon like Heatran and Mega Charizard-Y can check Bewear with their Fire-type move, while Alolan Marowak can switch in to anything except Earthquake and can threaten it with Will-O-Wisp.

**Skarmory**: A physical defensive Skarmory can 2HKO Bewear with Brave Bird, and can heal what Bewear's Hammer Arm with Roost. The special defensive variant can only Whirlwind it out of the battlefield however.

**Celesteela**: Celesteela can also check Bewear with the combination of Leech Seed + Protect, allowing it wear down Bewear and make it crippled thanks to the drops Hammer Arm/Superpower inflicts.

**Mega Metagross**: Mega Metagross can outspeed and 2HKO Bewear with Zen Headbutt, while Bewear can only Earthquake if it doesn't directly switch into Mega Metagross.

cut down this a lot, remove single mon mentions unless it's absolutely crucial to mention (remove skarm/cele/mgross) and add a section for psychic types. also a lot of this is super vague, this doesn't mention that a ton of these mons need a solid bit of prior damage on bewear to actually break through it because otherwise it's just gonna tank the hit and nuke said mons.
do all of that for 1/3

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
So how is Bewear considered a counter to Mega Scizor when it can easily live a Superpower and proceed to spam Roost to abuse the Attack drops? Hell you actually become set up fodder for it, I wouldn't call it anywhere close to being a Mega Scizor check let alone a counter.

Yeah just talked to p2 remove all mentions of Bewear checking/countering Mega Scizor please. Especially the parts where it says that it can switch into Mega Scizor and force it out when any competent Scizor player will just click Roost or SD.

Last edited:
Reactions: p2

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Adding to what p2 said Shadow Claw does more damage than Earthquake to Alolan Marowak if, for some reason, Grassy Terrain is on the field (EQ is halved).

(This kind of applies for Jirachi too but Superpower is likely your move of choice barring anything attempting to take advantage of the drops).

Last edited:

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
Oh wow wait I can QC this now haha

I'm bad.

Couple things:
*Shadow Claw is useful against Pokemon like Mega Metagross, Alolan Marowak, Jirachi, Mimikyu, who can otherwise wall Bewear and threaten it with super effective moves.
It's hard to really say some of these threats really "wall" Bewear. Choice Band Superpower does a fuckton to a lot of these Pokemon:

252+ Atk Choice Band Bewear Superpower vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Metagross: 220-261 (73 - 86.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Bewear Shadow Claw vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Metagross: 172-204 (57.1 - 67.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Bewear Superpower vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Jirachi: 313-370 (77.6 - 91.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Bewear Shadow Claw vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Jirachi: 246-290 (61 - 71.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Alolan Marowak, Mimikyu, and Shedinja are fair game here since they take nothing from Bewear's STABs. Generally rule of thumb is - you want to use STABs unless Bewear can be exploited with the stat drop and Bewear is still necessary for some reason. Also if it is the best damage option.

tl;dr SE Shadow Claw is still outclassed by both neutral Return and Hammer Arm, and obviously by Superpower and Double-Edge. I also wouldn't mention Jirachi since it has no business attempting to do anything to Bewear. If Mega Metagross is coming in it's probably for the revenge and just going to smash Bewear with STAB Zen Headbutt (252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Bewear: 440-522 (99 - 117.5%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO). Stick to Ghost-types here - you can add Gengar here too.
* Since Bewear is bulky enough to take a physical hit, you can switch it against physical attackers like Tapu Bulu or Tyranitar safely and deal massive damage against an opposing Pokemon with its strong moves.
I would probably add Weavile and mention Tapu Bulu most of the time. CB Wood Hammer does a lot of damage (granted the recoil is intense) and SD Fightium Z can completely ignore Fluffy.
* Avoid picking Hammer Arm/Return if there is a Ghost-type Pokemon on the team, since it can come in and force Bewear to switch.
Mention Superpower over Hammer Arm here. Could mention that Shadow Claw may be a safer move to use in these scenarios since you did that with Ice Punch and some of its examples.
* Other Steel-type Pokemon like Celesteela, Heatran, Mega Metagross, Ferrothorn and Excadrill can check Psychic- and Fairy-type Pokemon that can threaten Bewear like Tapu Lele, Tapu Koko, Latios, and Latias, although all of them have to be weary of Focus Blast from Tapu Lele.
I'd just cut Celesteela from here since you have it already mentioned as the first Team Option.
* Earthquake can be used in place of Shadow Claw to threaten other Pokemon who resist Shadow Claw and Return like Alolan Marowak and Magearna.
???

Also I'm going to say that you can just drop Earthquake from OO. I can't think of anything to really use it for outside of doing a little more damage to Alolan Marowak (which are opting for Speed anyway) and just hitting some Steel-types harder without sacrificing your stats. I know I argued it a while ago, but dwelling on it more Earthquake is rarely, if ever, worth it over Shadow Claw.

C&C seems a little long but to be fair a lot of things check and counter this thing, so I guess it's forgivable. I would consider making Mega Sableye just Ghost-types since Shadow Claw is the only move they really fear switching into and can switch into Ice Punch at least once for the most part. Ghost-type should just mention Mega Sableye, Shedinja, Mimikyu, and Gengar. You already detailed Mega Sableye well enough, Shedinja fears only Shadow Claw and can just hit Will-O-Wisp to cripple Bewear, Mimikyu has Disguise to take at least one hit freely and potentially Swords Dance in your face, and Gengar has Focus Blast.

Implement these and consider it 2/3

tl;dr SE Shadow Claw is still outclassed by both neutral Return and Hammer Arm, and obviously by Superpower and Double-Edge. I also wouldn't mention Jirachi since it has no business attempting to do anything to Bewear. If Mega Metagross is coming in it's probably for the revenge and just going to smash Bewear with STAB Zen Headbutt (252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Bewear: 440-522 (99 - 117.5%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO). Stick to Ghost-types here - you can add Gengar here too
Just a small note that Fluffy is still not implemented correctly in the damage calc:

252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Fur Coat Bewear: 222-264 (50 - 59.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Shame it didnt get mach punch. We saw how much priority helped aegislash.

Vest works great imo. Helps with longevity, and, allows hammer arm to do more by just keeping it alive. Def underestimated.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
Yo I'm here to be a tyrant and to be p2's cleanup squad.

- Hammer Arm > Superpower on the set. No slash for Superpower - put it in Moves.
- Drop Double-Edge to Moves.

These are due to cutting into Bewears durability which somewhat goes against the point of Bewear. Mention these moves last in Moves setion.

- Facade can be slashed before Ice Punch - lets you be useful if burned and still good if you get statused.
- Drop Shadow Claw to OO - mention Earthquake instead.

I mentioned to keep Shadow Claw to hit Mimikyu and Shedinja, but being honest theyre really niche mons like Bewear and Earthquake rolls better against grounded Steels.

Basically the general gist of QC chat.

Also Weavile (spelling).

3/3

Last edited:

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
some writing advice that is also important for real life: if you have a list of only two things, do not separate them with commas. for example, "colors such as blue, and green" should be "colors such as blue and green". you only separate with commas if you have more than two items. "colors such as blue, green, and yellow" is correct.
apply this to your writing in cases like this in the future
Poison-types such as Toxapex, and Mega Venusaur

GP 1/1
how to implement a GP check

[OVERVIEW]

* Bewear is an excellent tank thanks to its ability Fluffy, which reduces damage from all contact moves (even special ones) by half, allowing it to counter physical attackers like Tapu Bulu, Tyranitar, Weavile, and Kartana.
* Bewear's Normal / Fighting typing gives it him a Dark-type resistance, which is important against Tyranitar, Weavile, and Bisharp, and an immunity to Ghost-type moves. It also takes reduced damage from Stealth Rock.
* Bewear's high base Attack along with its powerful moves allows it to punch holes in the opponent's team with a Choice Band.
* Bewear's typing is commonly often (repetition) exploited by common threats such as Tapu Lele, Hoopa-U, Heatran, Volcanion, Pheromosa, and Mega Pinsir. It also gets walled by Ghost-types such as Mega Sableye, Mimikyu, and Shedinja.
* Bewear has no access to reliable recovery moves, which makes it hard to consistently check the physical attackers it needs to. It must rely on support moves like Wish from other Pokemon to restore its health.
* Low Special Defense means Bewear can't take much from special attackers like Tapu Koko, Heatran, and Magearna unless it's already healthy.
* Due to Bewear's low Speed, it gets outsped by the likes of Tapu Koko and Hoopa-U and always has to attack second aside from a few instances like against Toxapex, Ferrothorn, and Sassy Celesteela.

[SET]
move 1: Hammer Arm
move 2: Return
move 3: Facade / Ice Punch

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Hammer Arm is the main STAB move, providing allowing it to have coverage against major threats like Celesteela, Bisharp, Tyranitar, Skarmory, Weavile, Ferrothorn, and Heatran in exchange for a Speed drop.
* Return is used to hit foes things hard when Hammer Arm/Superpower (not slashed) isn't simply effective, like against with Tapu Fini, Azumarill, Toxapex, and Mega Venusaur. Double-Edge can also be used to hit things harder, but Bewear loses HP each time it uses, so it isn't recommended. (you talk about Double-Edge in the last bullet point here)
* Facade allows Bewear to do extra damage if it gets statused. It also allows Bewear not to be a dead weight when it's burned and still be able to put in some work if it gets paralyzed or poisoned. Alternatively, Ice Punch allows Bewear to hurt Flying-, (RC) and Ground-type Pokemon like Landorus-T, Garchomp, Dragonite, Salamence, and Zygarde.
* Earthquake is useful against Pokemon like Magearna, Alolan Marowak, Toxapex, and Jirachi, who which can otherwise wall Bewear.
* Superpower and Double-Edge are more powerful versions of Hammer Arm and Return, allowing Bewear to hit foes things harder. However, both of them reduce Bewear's durability by either lowering its Attack or Defense, (RC) or causing by taking recoil damage, something Bewear can't afford.

Set Details
========

* 252 HP EVs allow Bewear to tank both physical and special hits from both sides better, while 252 Attack EVs along with an Adamant nature maximize its offensive capabilities.
* Fluffy is the only viable ability, as Bewear's other the 2 other abilities are useless and Fluffy allows Bewear to tank contact physical hits.
* Choice Band is the preffered preferred item, as it allows Bewear to hit extra hard against foes.

Usage Tips
========

* Since Bewear is bulky enough to take a physical hit, you can switch it against physical attackers like Weavile and Tyranitar safely and deal massive damage against an opposing Pokemon with its strong moves. It can also take on Tapu Bulu most of the time.
* Avoid picking Bewear's STAB moves Superpower/Return if there is a Ghost-type Pokemon on the team, since it can come in and force Bewear to switch. However, you can try predicting a Ghost-type switch-in and use Shadow Claw.
* Bewear has problems taking super effective moves from the likes of Hoopa-U, Tapu Fini, and Magearna. It can even have problems against super effective physical contact moves from Pheromosa, Buzzwole, and Mega Pinsir. Think twice before sending it in.
* Bewear shouldn't stay in against special attackers that can safely check it, like Tapu Lele, Magearna, Mega Alakazam, and Mega Charizard Y.
* Bewear has the physical bulk to take hits from major threats like Pheromosa, (RC) and Mega Pinsir, and if the trade-off is worth it, Bewear can severely damage them in order for a teammate to pick them off with an another Pokemon.
* With a little bit of prediction, Bewear can safely take out Pokemon who that are weak to Ice, like Landorus-T, Dragonite, Garchomp, Zygarde, and Salamence, with Ice Punch on their switch in.

Team Options
========

* Bewear appreciates special walls like Celesteela, Alolan Muk, and Tapu Fini it can safely switch into.
* Jirachi is useful if you want to keep Bewear's health up with Wish support.
* Poison-types such as Toxapex, (RC) and Mega Venusaur is an are excellent partners to Bewear, as they can wall Fighting-type Pokemon like Pheromosa, (RC) and Buzzwole.
* Alolan Muk is also a great partner with Bewear, since it can beat Psychic- and Fairy-type Pokemon like Tapu Lele, Tapu Fini, and Latios; (ASC) trap Psychic- and Ghost-types like Latios, Gengar, and Mimikyu; (ASC) and can wall special hits so that Bewear can safely come out and wreck wreak havoc.
* Stealth Rock setters like Garchomp, Landorus-T, Tyranitar, and Nihilego can threaten Flying-type Pokemon, who which are a threat to Bewear otherwise.
* Magnezone can be used to trap Skarmory, (RC) and Celesteela, who which can wall Bewear with their excellent defenses and stall tactics.
* Other Steel-type Pokemon like Heatran, Mega Metagross, Ferrothorn, and Excadrill can check Psychic- and Fairy-type Pokemon that can threaten Bewear like Tapu Lele, Tapu Koko, Latios, and Latias, although all of them have to be weary wary of Focus Blast from Tapu Lele.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

* Bewear can run either a Swords Dance or a Substitute set, taking advantage of its natural bulk; however, although this isn't recommended, as Bewear is too it's very slow to pull this these sets off.
* Life Orb can be held instead of Choice Band to allow Bewear to freely select its moves, but it won't hit as hard as a Choice Band set, and it will take damage every time it uses a move, making it very inefficient.
* Shadow Claw is useful against Pokemon like Gengar, Alolan Marowak, and Mimikyu, who which can otherwise wall Bewear and threaten it with super effective moves, although these Pokemons Pokemon are mostly niche and aren't isn't as common as Steel-types, which Earthquake can handle better.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Special Attackers**: Bewear's meddling middling Special Defense allows special attackers like Tapu Lele, Hoopa-U, Latios, and Magearna to run over it Bewear easily. It also doesn't help that the majority of relevant special attackers in the metagame are Psychic-, and/or Fairy-type Pokemon, exploiting Bewear's weaknesses.

**Ghost-type Pokemon**: Ghost-types like Mega Sableye, Shedinja, Gengar, and Mimikyu are a big threat to against Bewear, simply because they are immune to its main STAB moves. Mega Sableye can safely switch in against Bewear and spread burns with Will-O-Wisp, Shedinja can only get hurt by Shadow Claw, Mimikyu can easily force Bewear out to get a +4 Attack boost, and Gengar can outspeed and OHKO Bewear with Focus Blast.

**Fighting-type Pokemon**: Pokemon like Pheromosa, Buzzwole, and Terrakion can check Bewear efficiently thanks to their super effective moves. However, with the exception of Buzzwole, they must damage Bewear by other means before facing it (can you just say "need some prior damage on Bewear before facing it" or is that different), because if they don't, Bewear can tank super effective hits from all of them and OHKO them with either Superpower or Return.

**Psychic-type Pokemon**: Tapu Lele, Mega Metagross, Hoopa-U, Mega Alakazam, Latios, and Latias can easily OHKO beat Bewear with a Psychic-type move due to their incredible power and their speed, OHKOing it easily, while Bewear can only really hurt them if they switch in to it. Only Mega Metagross needs some prior damage on Bewear to hurt Bewear beforehand in order to safely take him it on; (ASC) otherwise, (AC) Bewear can take a Zen Headbutt and severely damage it with Hammer Arm or Earthquake.

**Fairy-type Pokemon**: A majority of Fairy-type Pokemon such as Tapu Lele, Magearna, Mimikyu, Azumarill, and Tapu Fini can outspeed Bewear and potentially OHKO it with a Fairy-type move. With the exception of Tapu Lele and Magearna, they must have damaged Bewear beforehand or set up, as otherwise Bewear can tank through their hits once and OHKO them with Return or Shadow Claw for Mimikyu.

**Flying-type Pokemon**: Gyarados, (RC) and Landorus-T can check Bewear and OHKO it with Supersonic Skystrike in return. Mega Pinsir, (RC) and Salamence can take advantage of Bewear's weakness and OHKO it as well, though they do have trouble switching in to Bewear outside of Earthquake. All of them must also damage Bewear beforehand and require prior damage, as otherwise Bewear can tank the hits and OHKO all of them with Return or Ice Punch. (if they MUST have prior damage, then they by definition CANNOT OHKO Bewear... OHKO literally stands for one-hit KO, as in it will KO without any other help.)

**Fire-type Pokemon**: Pokemon like Heatran, (RC) and Mega Charizard Y can check Bewear with their Fire-type move, while Alolan Marowak can switch in to anything except Shadow Claw or Earthquake and can threaten it with Will-O-Wisp combined with Flare Blitz. However, they must damage Bewear beforehand in order to OHKO it; (ASC) otherwise, it can take them out either by with Superpower, Return, or Shadow Claw / Earthquake, respectively.

**Steel-type Pokemon That Are Neutral that is neutral to Fighting-type moves**: Some Steel-type Pokemon like Skarmory, Celesteela, Mega Metagross, and Mega Scizor, (RC) can check Bewear and wear it down by either restoring restore their health to take advantage of Superpower's stat drops, wearing it down, or just 2HKOing it. Bewear can't hit them for super effective damage with Superpower, so it either has to resort to either spamming Superpower to damage them, (RC) or will be forced to switch out.

Last edited:

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yo this mon is actually trash and I refuse to allow this to get an analysis. I have never seen anyone have any success with this piece of garbage. I know it's technically done but

QC reject 1/3

Sue me.

Bewear is heat I built 20 teams around it just so you know. ;/ (fuck tdk tbh)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)