This is what I go with:

Bewear @ Quick Claw
Ability: Fluffy
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Hammer Arm
- Shadow Claw
- Swords Dance

Quick Claw is an odd choice but makes up for slow speed and gives it random priority which could be nice. Shadow Claw is for ghosts, obviously. Hopefully, we get Diamond and Pearl remakes with Move Tutors. In that case, I'd choose Drain Punch over Hammer Arm even though it's a weaker move.
I'm not a competitive wiz but I know for a fact you don't put Quick Claw on stuff.

Bewear is horrifying in the show, and could be scary in a lower tier once the metagame isn't in a state of rage and insanity.

Fluffy is perfect for all those Brave Birds and Fighting-type moves being sent your way, but obviously not so much for like... Moonblast or Psychic. Although if you send Bewear in on something that knows Moonblast, you might want to consider why you even came close to making that choice in the first place.

It looks quite interesting and almost reminds of me of Snorlax, except more physically defensive, with a higher Attack, slightly more Speed, and slightly less HP. I agree it's probably not gonna fly in OU, especially now, but I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up doing well in a lower tier. Bewear is quite interesting, that's for sure.

It's a shame he gets Pain Split considering how much HP he has naturally, makes it hard to get any decent use out of it. Rest + Chesto might be viable but I'm not thinking it's anywhere near as effective than what is already listed.

Man so I gotta write up the OU analysis for this thing. I'd wonder how good a lure set with a Chople, Coba, Payapa or Roseli Berry would do. This thing can nail some things like Koko and Pheromosa.

I think with some hazard support, it could easily trade 1v1 with Pokemon. Fluffy also needs to be updated on the damage calculator, because it won't pick up for moves like a Phero HJK, but will for Fur Coat (even though HJK is obviously a contact move).

Hold on just a second. Regardless of competitive ability, this guy could be useful for SOS chains, just going off of what Serebii says about Unnerve

Hidden Ability (Available):
Unnerve: The opponent Pokémon will never use their held Berry while the Pokémon is in battle. Opponents in S.O.S. Battles are more likely to call for help http://www.serebii.net/abilitydex/unnerve.shtml

Being only one of two available 'mons (and the only one not time-exclusive) in SuMo that have the ability to make chaining easier is definitely a valuable tool for IV, HA, or shiny chaining.

Man so I gotta write up the OU analysis for this thing. I'd wonder how good a lure set with a Chople, Coba, Payapa or Roseli Berry would do. This thing can nail some things like Koko and Pheromosa.

I think with some hazard support, it could easily trade 1v1 with Pokemon. Fluffy also needs to be updated on the damage calculator, because it won't pick up for moves like a Phero HJK, but will for Fur Coat (even though HJK is obviously a contact move).
These imo are the best 2 sets:

Bewear @ Rocky Helmet
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Frustration
- Hammer Arm
- Ice Punch / Shadow Claw / Toxic

Bewear @ Choice Band / Normalium Z / Fightinium Z / Ghostium Z
Happiness: 0
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Frustration
- Superpower
- Ice Punch
- Shadow Claw

First set Bewear absorbs U-Turns and deters U-Turning like pretty much no other. You can maybe run speed to outspeed min-speed Mega Scizor and use it as complete fodder, but it can't touch you anyway.

Second set is just your standard bulky hitter Bewear. The EV's are out to outspeed everything up to max speed Crawdaunt.

Hold on just a second. Regardless of competitive ability, this guy could be useful for SOS chains, just going off of what Serebii says about Unnerve

Hidden Ability (Available):
Unnerve: The opponent Pokémon will never use their held Berry while the Pokémon is in battle. Opponents in S.O.S. Battles are more likely to call for help http://www.serebii.net/abilitydex/unnerve.shtml

Being only one of two available 'mons (and the only one not time-exclusive) in SuMo that have the ability to make chaining easier is definitely a valuable tool for IV, HA, or shiny chaining.
Intimidate also forces S.O.S. battles, if I'm not mistaken.

I run payback with negative speed investment to deal with ghost types.
I feel like shadow claw would be better than payback. Both cover ghost/psychic but you get neutral hits on fairy and fighting with shadow claw instead of resisted. You also get bonus crit chance and in the situation where you outspeed or trickroom is a factor you'll have 70 power over 50 if you move first.

Bewear is really bulky but only by the physical side and with Fluffy ability, by the special side it's somewhat frail and if Fluffy is its ability I think that a Flamethrower can take it down with ease as well as many other special attacks which are not Fire Type. I guess Bewear will be a solid mon in UU and decent in OU.

This is the set I was using when the update first dropped. Been very effective, though I can't remember what the EVs were specified for as I have switched to breeding and capturing on 3DS lately and haven't been on showdown in a while.

Bewear @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Atk / 160 Def
Impish Nature
- Hammer Arm
- Ice Punch
- Shadow Claw
- Earthquake

Not really amy different from an AV set except you obviously do not want the special hits. I really wish I can remember what those attack EVs specifically OHKOed or 2HKOed. Either way, I paired him with a Wish passing Vaporeon and had a very nice defensive core. Can't say I recommend it over the other sets listed here, but it's been good either eay.

Last edited:
This is the set I was using when the update first dropped. Been very effective, though I can't remember what the EVs were specified for as I have switched to breeding and capturing on 3DS lately and haven't been on showdown in a while.

Bewear @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Atk / 160 Def
Serious Nature
- Hammer Arm
- Ice Punch
- Shadow Claw
- Earthquake

Not really amy different from an AV set except you obviously do not want the special hits. I really wish I can remember what those attack EVs specifically OHKOed or 2HKOed. Either way, I paired him with a Wish passing Vaporeon and had a very nice defensive core. Can't say I recommend it over the other sets listed here, but it's been good either eay.
You should go for an Adamant or Impish nature, rather than a Serious one, so it gets +10% Attack or +10% Defense, respectively.

You should go for an Adamant or Impish nature, rather than a Serious one, so it gets +10% Attack or +10% Defense, respectively.
Huh, I really thought I did. Must have clicked the wrong one and just never checked again, haha. Using an ipad is not very helpful for teambuilding. Though that would change my EVs, which were specific to something I no longer remember anyway. Let's just toss my set then

Either way, here is a terrible battle that showcases the Vaporeon/Bewear core
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-492861300

There's basically two ways to go with this; assault vest running hammer arm, or bulk up set with superpower.

after a bulk up, superpower just gets rid of the boosts and you're at neutral again. Get two in and you can nuke shit with superpower with no drop below neutral. Assualt vest bewear is just a fat wallbreaker, but holy shit does it work well.

I really like this thing, it's such an underrated powerhouse. Even in OU it really pulls its weight around. It catches the Tapu's by complete surprise, since they don't like switching into a STAB Return at all.

There's basically two ways to go with this; assault vest running hammer arm, or bulk up set with superpower.

after a bulk up, superpower just gets rid of the boosts and you're at neutral again. Get two in and you can nuke shit with superpower with no drop below neutral. Assualt vest bewear is just a fat wallbreaker, but holy shit does it work well.
I'm using leftovers on mine, the slow healing really helps him since his biggest flaw is lack of recovery. Bewear rarely would even need boosting, it would much rather do what it does best; tank a hit and then retaliate.

Would a choice scarf set be viable? I know it'll obviously get outsped by a lot of things still, but it seems like right at the low end of a viable scarf pokemon (like T-Tar for example) And with its ability, it seems like it could work as a decently hard-hitting and bulky pokemon (though I imagine you'd want to switch in on mostly physical attackers to make the most of your fluffy ability) I still think AV is likely the way to go, but was just curious.

I was personally a little disappointed by its stats, myself, but I do like it. It's just with how the pokedex and all the info about it talks about how ungodly strong it is, to the point where it accidentally kills its trainers, but it's just 125 attack, which is still quite good, of course. I was expecting something like Conkeldurr with the 140 attack. Plus, Fluffy is good, but Fur Coat would have been better. Guess they didn't want to make him too broken.

EDIT: Well, in the interest of not double-posting, I'll go ahead and share another idea for a set, this one making use of his fluffy ability to help mitigate his flying/fighting weaknesses primarily in a Weakness Policy set.

Bewear @ Weakness Policy
Adamant Nature
- Hammer Arm/Superpower
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Earthquake/Shadow Claw/Return/Rock Slide/Pain Split/Thrash

Setup without the setup! With this, you get the boost of a swords dance while retaining the maximum coverage possible. As I mentioned, you just come in a flying or fighting type. With your fluffy ability, most of the moves of those types will essentially be neutral damage to you. From there you just hit things until you die. Hammer Arm is better over Superpower since you don't really want to lose attack or defense on any bewear set, but it is an option. IP/TP for the boltbeam coverage. Earthquake is the best for ideal coverage as Ice/Thunder/Fighting/Ground coverage cannot be beat, but if you want to hit ghosts and psychics super effective, then shadow claw is your best option.

Return is less coverage, but if you want to just hit hard things a base 102 STAB will do that. Rock Slide is an option for hitting certain things, but EQ will hit more. Pain Split gives some kind of recovery, but with your high HP, it's hardly super reliable. I only mention Thrash for if you just want a nuke. Obviously, don't use with ghosts around.

The EV Spread and Nature maximize bulk, but if you wanted to be more of a sweeper...ish, then you could easily max invest in speed and go for a timid nature and you will outspeed a lot of uninvested walls and stuff, but it's not like you're going to be especially speedy, so keep that in mind.

Last edited:
Would a choice scarf set be viable? I know it'll obviously get outsped by a lot of things still, but it seems like right at the low end of a viable scarf pokemon (like T-Tar for example) And with its ability, it seems like it could work as a decently hard-hitting and bulky pokemon (though I imagine you'd want to switch in on mostly physical attackers to make the most of your fluffy ability) I still think AV is likely the way to go, but was just curious.

I was personally a little disappointed by its stats, myself, but I do like it. It's just with how the pokedex and all the info about it talks about how ungodly strong it is, to the point where it accidentally kills its trainers, but it's just 125 attack, which is still quite good, of course. I was expecting something like Conkeldurr with the 140 attack. Plus, Fluffy is good, but Fur Coat would have been better. Guess they didn't want to make him too broken.

EDIT: Well, in the interest of not double-posting, I'll go ahead and share another idea for a set, this one making use of his fluffy ability to help mitigate his flying/fighting weaknesses primarily in a Weakness Policy set.

Bewear @ Weakness Policy
Adamant Nature
- Hammer Arm/Superpower
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Earthquake/Shadow Claw/Return/Rock Slide/Pain Split/Thrash

Setup without the setup! With this, you get the boost of a swords dance while retaining the maximum coverage possible. As I mentioned, you just come in a flying or fighting type. With your fluffy ability, most of the moves of those types will essentially be neutral damage to you. From there you just hit things until you die. Hammer Arm is better over Superpower since you don't really want to lose attack or defense on any bewear set, but it is an option. IP/TP for the boltbeam coverage. Earthquake is the best for ideal coverage as Ice/Thunder/Fighting/Ground coverage cannot be beat, but if you want to hit ghosts and psychics super effective, then shadow claw is your best option.

Return is less coverage, but if you want to just hit hard things a base 102 STAB will do that. Rock Slide is an option for hitting certain things, but EQ will hit more. Pain Split gives some kind of recovery, but with your high HP, it's hardly super reliable. I only mention Thrash for if you just want a nuke. Obviously, don't use with ghosts around.

The EV Spread and Nature maximize bulk, but if you wanted to be more of a sweeper...ish, then you could easily max invest in speed and go for a timid nature and you will outspeed a lot of uninvested walls and stuff, but it's not like you're going to be especially speedy, so keep that in mind.

An interesting idea, but I don't know if it'll be that effective on Bewear unless you're running trick room. It's still super slow without recovery, and chances are it's not going to like getting hit with a super effective hit a second time. Not to mention the opponent can easily get something like Tapu Lele to get rid of it as well.

An interesting idea, but I don't know if it'll be that effective on Bewear unless you're running trick room. It's still super slow without recovery, and chances are it's not going to like getting hit with a super effective hit a second time. Not to mention the opponent can easily get something like Tapu Lele to get rid of it as well.
Yeah, Bewear is definitely a pokemon that works best in trick room, (which can be said about a lot of the new pokemon, really) or with some kind of speed control in general. Sticky Web, Tail Wind, etc. In those cases, I'd say go full speed investment and maybe a jolly nature just so that you outspeed as much as possible.

Silly logistical question - how can you breed Ice Punch onto Bewear? I've looked at the egg lists, and I can't think of any way to do it. Sorry if this is in the wrong place!

i run this set on my electric terrain team. it works pretty well, forces a switch against a physical opponent. id rather have a master of one type of damage and be super defensive rather than be a mediocre mix of defense and special defense. electric seed turns bewear into a beastly physical wall. no setup required.
Bewear @ Electric Seed
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- ice punch
- Hammer Arm
- Shadow Claw
- Thunder Punch

Huh, Electric Seed is interesting. Is it really worth it, though? I assume you have to use Terrain Extender on Tapu Koko to get any use for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)