Other Metagames [BH] DRAGON OF DELUSION (peak #3)

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
unfortunately i didn't reach my goal of #1 but i was able to get to 90% gxe which is cool

Introduction

the ladder sucks.
tournaments can suck too. that is, if you get too caught up in them, like me.
recently i've been trying to build around gengarite gengar which honestly needs to go. it's the most ridiculous thing and laddering with it is so easy. then i met this guy with an offensive team who thought gengar wasn't broken. after i eventually won, he demanded a rematch using a fatter team if i wanted to really show him its brokenness.

after a long fight (during which gengar trapped like 4 mons) i eventually won. i don't even know if i ended up convincing him that gengarite was broken. after that, we had another rematch. he brought 6 arceus while i brought this team.

i lost. i played pretty horribly. but that doesn't even matter because it didn't mean anything. only by playing even worse than the worst of ladder scrubs was i able to really appreciate bh.

that's why my advice for today is this: if the ladder has you tilted, you don't have to stop playing mons. the problem instead lies in the series of high-stakes games (which is why tilt is so prevalent in suspects). just fight someone from discord or something.

Teambuilding Process

i was annoyed by how my previous xurk team was basically completely invalidated by ev limit removal not to mention innards out ban so i wanted to make a new one. started with the best xurk set in my opinion which is galvanize specs, beats up fat balance teams because outside imposter they can rarely switch into it.

now when i used xurk before, something that really annoyed me was when your opponent had something that could switch into boomburst and didn't just die to coverage like zyg. talking things like giratina and av regen grounds. for this i added illusion kyurem-w but it turns out that illusion kyurem-w is terrible; it doesn't ohko giratina with even specs ice beam and it offers like no defensive utility. illusion rayquaza is a much better choice here because in addition to a better defensive typing it also has a useful stab oblivion wing to preserve illusion even if it gets hit.

with imposter-proofing, the more obscure the mon is, the better. mega audino with soundproof, despite not offering any resistances, checks imposters of both xurk and rayquaza simply due to its fantastic special bulk and boomburst immunity.

every team needs prankster haze unless it's hyper offense so i decided to make my user zyg-c. in addition to beating up most shell smashers and eating their hits zygarde is also a very effective check to ph users such as regigigas and kyogre due to its incredible bulk.

every bh team also needs a steel. registeel was a good choice for a while because of its bulk, but it sometimes couldn't keep up with coverage moves from ate users. solgaleo was my choice eventually because it could threaten these mons back with sunsteel strike.

last but not least my team needed something to not get 6-0'd by contrary so here is imposter chansey. in addition to this it's also a great check to things like cb don which threaten to ohko zyg on the switch.

The Team

電嘨 (Xurkitree) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Galvanize
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Boomburst
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Leech Seed
here is the main breaker of the team. everything has 252/252 bulk so it kills less things now, but the increased bulk is also pretty big for it allowing it to take on mons like primal kyogre. the moves are pretty straightforward: boomburst for stab, ice beam to smack fat dragons, earth power for guys like mlix and pdon on the switch. seeds is the best last move on this set because it keeps the illusion trick alive while wearing down imposters much more easily (and, importantly, denying them recovery of their own).

瞹龍 (Rayquaza-Mega) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Illusion
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Oblivion Wing
- Knock Off
- Moongeist Beam
here's illusion rayquaza the other mon in the core. draco meteor just shreds giratina, the typical xurk switchin, while knockoff helps against stuff like avregen and chansey that try to switch in. moongeist is for shed because shed is dumb lol

癒し妖精 (Audino-Mega) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Roost
- U-turn
- Core Enforcer
- Defog
soundproof audino helps deal with xurkitree imposters while also having a great matchup against rayquaza. most sets are either aerilate or triage; aerilate boomburst just bounces off while you can u-turn to audino on a triage tail glow. defog is a form of hazard removal that can't be blocked.

大地守り (Zygarde-Complete) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Prankster
Relaxed Nature
- Core Enforcer
- Haze
- Shore Up
- U-turn
prankster haze zyggy helps against not only aps users such as ttar, but it also checks ph mons like regi and ogre. stab core enforcer is really nice and safety goggles prevent opponents from sporing it. originally i used icium z to improve assistdons matchup but i got haxed by spore regi so i changed to goggles.

鍛接獅 (Solgaleo) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- U-turn
- Sunsteel Strike
- Revelation Dance
here's av regen solgaleo, my check for -ates and psychics. sunsteel strike beats up fairies such as ph xern while revelation dance is a lure for normalize gengar. i didn't include any crippling moves such as nuzzle because i wanted to easily be able to play around imposter. rapid spin is hazard removal #2 which is really nice to take pressure off audino.

soulja boi (Chansey) (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Imposter
Impish Nature
- Fake Out
- Soft-Boiled
- Final Gambit
- Whirlwind
imposter chansey is the ultimate glue mon. it can switch into most ates and random threatening offensive guys like mmy. additionally, it's the team's main check for contrary-- ideally, another mon will take the first hit, then u-turn into chansey to break the sash. final gambit is pretty lit because you can use it in case an opposing imposter is out of control.

Conclusion

overall i'm pretty glad i was able to make a xurk team work again! this team is pretty fun to use for the most part which is always good. thanks for stopping by!

電嘨 (Xurkitree) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Galvanize
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Boomburst
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Leech Seed

瞹龍 (Rayquaza-Mega) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Illusion
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Oblivion Wing
- Knock Off
- Moongeist Beam

癒し妖精 (Audino-Mega) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Soundproof
Level: 99
Relaxed Nature
- Roost
- U-turn
- Core Enforcer
- Defog

大地守り (Zygarde-Complete) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Prankster
Relaxed Nature
- Core Enforcer
- Haze
- Shore Up
- U-turn

鍛接獅 (Solgaleo) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- U-turn
- Sunsteel Strike
- Revelation Dance

soulja boi (Chansey) (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Imposter
Shiny: Yes
Happiness: 0
Impish Nature
- Fake Out
- Soft-Boiled
- Final Gambit
- Whirlwind

Replays
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-565323677
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-564988313
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-567008235
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-567015794
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-567005241

Last edited:
That's a nice looking team you have there. I suggest zparting shot > U-turn on mega audino to give your xirk a second lease on life if it got surprised by something like a soundproofer, or taken a ton of hazard damage. It also means that you're virtually immune to knock off as well, and you force an Imposter to manual switch out while you can just parting shot out, at most 5 times, so you get a ton of momentum that way.

You're also missing a stealth rock setter,, but I'm not quite sure what mon to put it on. Stealth rock helps wear stuff down and removes focus sashes. I'd probably put it on Audino, as Solga is a very reliable spinner so you don't really need the defog support as much, add to the fact that Defgo takes so much momentum from you and gives Mega Gar a fre switchin whereas your Solgaleo doesn't need to double switch to avoid Mega Gengar since it has Revelation Dance, so it can threaten Mega Gengar out.

RNGIsFatal

Banned deucer.
I am familiar with that archetype of team. I am not sure if I have the best feedback, but:

Xurkitree:

No comments.

Rayquaza:

Knock Off sounds very creative, and it is mandatory in your team especially because you have no-physical-oriented attackers that can break Assault Vest. If you want to check Shed while hurting Steel-types, think about getting Magma Storm, although its accuracy just sucks.

Audino-Mega:

Yeah dont run Volt Absorb it is awful I personally recommend Spectral Thief instead of Core Enforcer, because even if you nullify stuff like Magic Bounce you have nothing to set on, and it is usually is not capable of stopping stuff like PH Regigigas, after it loses its goggles. Also minor thing, Imposter still doesn't hurt you if you carry Spectral Thief. Praise this 'mon's typing!

Zygarde-C:

I can see this 'mon is your check for Pdon. But most of them are equipped with choice items nowadays as you may know, I personally recommend Icium Z Haze or Darkinium Z Parting Shot like SuperSkyLake suggested.

Solgaleo:

I get this 'mon is your Gengar check, but it really doesn't. Revelation Dance doesn't even OHKO unless Gengar senselessely Shell Smashes after Stealth Rock damage, and Judgment already is an immense threat to it.

Chansey:

I liked your post because you run the Imposter the same way as me: shiny and male

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
That's a nice looking team you have there. I suggest zparting shot > U-turn on mega audino to give your xirk a second lease on life if it got surprised by something like a soundproofer, or taken a ton of hazard damage. It also means that you're virtually immune to knock off as well, and you force an Imposter to manual switch out while you can just parting shot out, at most 5 times, so you get a ton of momentum that way.

You're also missing a stealth rock setter,, but I'm not quite sure what mon to put it on. Stealth rock helps wear stuff down and removes focus sashes. I'd probably put it on Audino, as Solga is a very reliable spinner so you don't really need the defog support as much, add to the fact that Defgo takes so much momentum from you and gives Mega Gar a fre switchin whereas your Solgaleo doesn't need to double switch to avoid Mega Gengar since it has Revelation Dance, so it can threaten Mega Gengar out.
yo thanks for stopping by.

darkinium audino sounds kinda cool. the only problem is that it doesn't seem to offer much besides z parting shot, and even then in the example you gave (soundproof) the soundproof mon can ironically just switch in on z parting shot iirc.

on the other hand no stealth rocks is probably one of the team's main flaws. however replacing audino's defog doesn't seem like the best idea. as an example say that my opponent gets sr up and they have a giratina. giratina can just keep switching in on solgaleo. in addition i can't lure it in with illusion ray due to its sr weakness making the illusion obvious. replacing core enforcer will probably work tho

I am familiar with that archetype of team. I am not sure if I have the best feedback, but:

Xurkitree:

No comments.

Rayquaza:

Knock Off sounds very creative, and it is mandatory in your team especially because you have no-physical-oriented attackers that can break Assault Vest. If you want to check Shed while hurting Steel-types, think about getting Magma Storm, although its accuracy just sucks.

Audino-Mega:

Yeah dont run Volt Absorb it is awful I personally recommend Spectral Thief instead of Core Enforcer, because even if you nullify stuff like Magic Bounce you have nothing to set on, and it is usually is not capable of stopping stuff like PH Regigigas, after it loses its goggles. Also minor thing, Imposter still doesn't hurt you if you carry Spectral Thief. Praise this 'mon's typing!

Zygarde-C:

I can see this 'mon is your check for Pdon. But most of them are equipped with choice items nowadays as you may know, I personally recommend Icium Z Haze or Darkinium Z Parting Shot like SuperSkyLake suggested.

Solgaleo:

I get this 'mon is your Gengar check, but it really doesn't. Revelation Dance doesn't even OHKO unless Gengar senselessely Shell Smashes after Stealth Rock damage, and Judgment already is an immense threat to it.

Chansey:

I liked your post because you run the Imposter the same way as me: shiny and male
ok one by one:

magma storm rayquaza is actually pretty cool, the steel coverage is appreciated.

are you actually telling me to replace both core enforcer on audino and safety goggles on zyg like do you want me to lose to poison heal ?_? either way pdon actually hasn't been much of a threat to my team because it has to predict between imposter and zyg. think i'll pass on these changes but thanks for the suggestion.

also thanks for that amazing quote

i appreciate that you guys have taken the time to rate my team! thanks!

I don't think I know that much to give good criticism, but I'd just like to say I like the idea that you're using Illusion as an offensive ability, whereas I've seen it used mostly as a filler, like on Gengar pre-mega (although I think I have seen it offensively sometimes). I really like this team, I think it is creative especially in its use of a UB. Hopefully you can get all the kinks worked out!

darkinium audino sounds kinda cool. the only problem is that it doesn't seem to offer much besides z parting shot, and even then in the example you gave (soundproof) the soundproof mon can ironically just switch in on z parting shot iirc.
Yeah for your current set on audino, parting shot seems like it's going to be a big liability. While lowing stats and revitalising one of your mons is really useful it is really weak to magic bounce, especially magic bounce audino which don't fear core enforcer (or just every magic bouncer if you change for spectral thief). Basically what I can see happening is them blindly switching a magic bouncer into mega audino at will to take all of your momentum and waste your pp to boot and you REALLY don't want them bouncing your Z-Parting Shot. Also it raises the issue of Imposter - while it's true it can't threaten you, you can't threaten it, especially without hazards - which just switches in for free, resetting any momentum you've gained and costing you more precious pp.

I would consider using core enforcer on Ray although I'm aware it doesn't usually OHKO Giratina, this isn't a problem if you're hitting them as they switch in anyway. The upside is it's much more spamable and really starts to wear down any regenvest that decides to switch in. Also accuracy is good and having more pp isn't going to hurt. But if that KO is important to you then obviously Draco is the way to go.

As for magma storm on Ray 1) it uses a moveslot which all seem to be doing something valuable at the moment 2) the residual damage would put a lot of pressure on mega audino if you happen to get impostered.

I applaud your denying imposter recovery on xurk, but it seems slightly redundant when you have a regen mon that they can switch into basically for free and get health back that way. Maybe consider moongeist beam (currently 3 of your mons are hard walled by shedinja and 2 others are blocked if you miss predict), trick or core enforcer. Seriously that move is way too good...

Looks like a really strong team, and it must be based on your GXE. Good luck on getting #1 :]

Edit: If your only contrary check is imposter it might be worth running scarf to avoid losing the game on a speed tie, but I know that reduces your options elsewhere.

Last edited:
Have you considered using Parabolic Charge > Leech Seed on Xurkitree? It's a fairly weak move but does restore your health, although Leech Seed does heal more off imposters, so I don't know if it would be better.

RNGIsFatal

Banned deucer.
Have you considered using Parabolic Charge > Leech Seed on Xurkitree? It's a fairly weak move but does restore your health, although Leech Seed does heal more off imposters, so I don't know if it would be better.
It works, but it is a way for Xurkitree to heal itself from Imposter while Imposter loses couple percentage of health each turn. More importantly, it is a way for him to check Sturdy Shedinja, although it is questionable that why does he not run Moongeist Beam.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
It works, but it is a way for Xurkitree to heal itself from Imposter while Imposter loses couple percentage of health each turn. More importantly, it is a way for him to check Sturdy Shedinja, although it is questionable that why does he not run Moongeist Beam.
parabolic charge sounds cool although theoretically if it did lots of damage then the optimal play would probably be to just ko with boomburst. still tho i might give it a try because the strongest parabolic charge in the game sounds pretty cool for recovery.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-569230441 here's a game where leech seed on xurk really put in work. despite the opponent only having a couple of shaky xurk checks, xurkitree was in danger of being worn down by stuff at some points. additionally, the imposter was unable to switch in on boombursts repeatedly because it had no way of restoring its health. just thought i'd share that in case you were confused about the purpose of seeds xurk.

One other thing, Frost Breath is better than Ice Beam because the crit makes it have essentially the same power, but it will ignore any stat modification. Unless of course you like that 10% freeze chance...

Edit: Forgot Frost Breath has a 10% chance to miss!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)