Other Metagames [BH] Stakeout Magic

Strongest legendary?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RNGIsFatal

Banned deucer.
Stakeout Magic

Introduction

If you have noticed, I am spending 5th month in this website as a still-naive user that has the most dedication in Balanced Hackmons metagame recklessly posting 3rd RMT.
Recently, I have joined BH open tour, expecting myself to lose in the first round and spectate the rest; however, because of my tendency to overwork in something that I am into, I made it to the quarter finals currently, and I won't say this is common for the new user.
That was enough bragging, and I wanted to share the team that I have been using in BH Open. Although I use multiple team to keep my opponent from benefiting from scouting my matches and revealing my team when I still have some matches left is not the best idea, but I have plenty of other teams that I am proud with and this one actually worked out the best for me.

Team Building Process

I started building around Mega Mewtwo Y, which is slappable in any teams that needs any offense. Imposterproofing this thing is VERY hard especially when it runs lots of coverages. Mewtwo always hated Steel-types so I added Earth Plate, which hopefully Imposters won't opt to run.

At this point I needed a more reliable Steel-type check, and Scarf Primal Groudon has done much more than I expected: it made surprise kill on Regigigas, Mewtwo, Mega Rayquaza, and others when my opponents did not see it coming. Desolate Land also lets this guy become a nice Primal Kyogre check as well as a nice support who can lock annoying opponent into a choice item.

Because the first two members of my party lacked recovery except Z-Parting Shot, they are always on timer, especially if hazards are up. Also, I needed a check for Poison Heal Regigigas which 6-0's my team once Registeel is down. It also is a decent team support who spams Knock Off and Will-O-Wisp, as well being a good late-game sweeper once Mewtwo and Groudon have eliminated Core Enforcer users or Steel-types.

It is pretty obvious now that I need to start imposter-proofing. Not only this Giratina checks my own Primal Groudon, it checks notable threats such as other variants with Stakeout, Tinted Lens, or Desolate Land with Choice Band. If I do not have this Giratina, it would mean that someone in my party has to die every time opposing banded Primal Groudon gets to switch in.

All my BH teams, I mean everyone's BH teams need a Steel-type. This guy can comfortably imposter-proof my MMY thanks to it holding Earth Plate. It also is an emergency way to stop out-of-control sweepers.

My team now needed someone to deal with status / hazard / Core Enforcer spams, and no one did better job than this Mega Audino. It also completely shuts down Normalize Gengar which ruins my entire team when my MMY is down and Pdon has passed its Scarf to something else. In addition, it keeps my impostered Giratina from messing around in my team.

Into the Team

If you can't tell, this is team preview.

Mewtwo-Mega-Y @ Earth Plate
Ability: Stakeout
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psystrike
- Ice Beam
- Judgment
- Sunsteel Strike Moongeist Beam

#1 Wallbreaker of my team. I can bluff other offensive sets, force switches, and bring pain to the switch-in. Psytrike is a STAB that smashes almost anything especially with Stakeout, Ice Beam is used to remove Mega Rayquaza from the game and OHKO Zygarde-C on the switch, Earth Plate Judgment OHKOes Registeel and Aegislash and does around 70% to RegenVest Solgaleo. Sunsteel Strike, while an odd option with a special attacker with Timid nature, nails Sturdy Shedinja and OHKOes Mega Diancie with around 93% of the possibility even without Stakeout.
Added Moongeist Beam due to its better efficiency

Groudon-Primal @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Desolate Land
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Thousand Arrows
- Ice Hammer
- Switcheroo

Primere revenge killer & surprise factor. Scarf-don is common, but opponents do not anticipate Desolate Land with Choice Scarf as often. They assumed my Groudon to have Choice Band, and what they did was staying in with their unboosted PH Regigigas and trying to use Spore, Sheer Force MMY trying to KO with Earth Power, and Triage Mega Ray trying to set Substitute or Tail Glow, and of course, they all died to the appropriate moves. V-Create is an absolute nuke with Desolate Land, Thousand Arrows is just spammable and does decent damage to Imposter, and Ice Hammer is used to harass any Zygarde-C without Fur Coat and OHKO Mega Rayquaza. Switcheroo is to cripple Fur Coat walls such as Mega Slowbro, Zygarde-C, or other obscure walls that bother my team.

Tyranitar-Mega @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shift Gear

This thing is just AWESOME for me. It is PH user that can check PH Regigigas and Imposter by itself, thanks to its ridiculously high natural bulk and unique typing that resists Facade, Knock Off, and Spectral Thief, from which two of them are run by 99% of PH Regigigas variants. It functions as crucially important status absorber and emergency switch-in for opponents' MMY and my own MMY if Registeel is down. I was thinking about Careful nature but I needed to maximize the chance of OHKOing Solgaleo with Knock Off at +1, so I chose to run Adamant nature, which also heavily pressures Aegislash and Giratina. Diamond Storm, while it has very low PP, functions as main STAB that has 50% chance to raise Defense by +2, and is what lets Tyranitar imposter-proof itself and take on PH Regigigas reliably. Knock Off should be spammed at all times, and since my other teammates appreciate items being gone, it was chosen over weird stuff like Darkest Lariat. Will-O-Wisp lets Tyranitar spread burns without worrying about Magic Bounce, puts a chip damage on stuff like Registeel or Zygarde-C which it cannot break through, and most importantly cripples Imposter. Shift Gear is a setup move that I need for late-game sweep, or to pressure unprepared teams.

Giratina @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Fur Coat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Parting Shot
- Stealth Rock
- Core Enforcer
- Shore Up

The premiere physical wall of my team that checks most physical Primal Groudon in the meta, including my own. The set is pretty simple, Fur Coat just makes it an impenetrable behemoth for most physical attackers. The true niche of this guy in my team is Z-Parting Shot, which is used in emergency to heal my MMY or Pdon if one of their health is dangerously low from pressure from opposing team. It also gives a next-switch in to set up or pivot out easily. Stealth Rock is mandatory in my team to remove sashes so MMY / Pdon / Ttar with boosts can safely defeat anything they originally would, and generally pressures the opposing team. Core Enforcer lets Giratina force out PH users which would otherwise force my Registeel to come out and use Haze and hand over momentum, and gives Giratina a better chance to set hazards up against Magic Bounce users.

Registeel @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Prankster
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Haze
- Encore
- U-turn
- Roost

Emergency way to stop setup sweepers, and a harassment to any opponents that has to alternate between moves. Haze is just mandatory to remove boosts while bypassing anti-priority, Encore, while this seems like last-gen thing, punishes anyone who is unprepared, and ends up doing stuff like locking Triage Rayquaza into Tail Glow, support 'mons to repeat Defog, and Unburden-Belly Drum user to spam Belly Drum. U-turn is basic pivoting move that Registeel needs to fulfill its supportive role, and Roost is a recovery that was chosen to resemble Registeel moving its arms for the whole time.

Audino-Mega @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Magic Bounce
Sassy Nature
- Spectral Thief
- Rapid Spin
- U-turn
- Milk Drink

Yes, it's getting old, had this thing in my last 2 RMT's. But most archetypes of my BH teams need this to check Normalize / Mold Breaker Gengar that leaves home without Sludge Wave. Magic Bounce completely shuts down most support Giratina and Zygarde-C forms, including my own which means impostered Giratina of mine cannot set hazards on my team. About the odd moveset, I don't even run Fairy moves because my other team can handle them pretty easily, and Spectral Thief helps so much reducing Audino's passivity. Rapid Spin, when paired with Safety Goggles, makes a fantastic anti-lead against Deoxys-S who cannot Spore Audino and will have all hazards cleaned immediately by Rapid Spin. U-turn, same reason as Registeel, is a necessary move for pivoting, and Milk Drink is needed for longevity and nutrients.​

Threats / Counters

Honestly, no matter how much I prepare for this thing, Imposter is always a pain in the ass to deal with, especially if it switches into my Audino and Giratina and spams recovery to pp stall my team. Not only that, it will wait for the moment when my Registeel is gone, so it can transform into my Mewtwo and proceed to torture my entire team. Good thing that life against this blob becomes easier once Eviolite is knocked off and I successfully burned it.

My team has no switch-in for Mega Diancie once Registeel has been taken out, and it means my Primal Groudon that has no recovery has to take damage or Audino has to lose significant amount of health every time this thing comes in. Also, if it runs something like Choice Specs, the mind game starts to trigger me a lot and make me unable to concentrate. >:(

I didn't play Gen 6 BH for a long time (started around the last 3 months), but I don't understand why this thing wasn't banned in GKR suspect test.
This thing is just unpredictable. It can run Specs Boomburst which pressures my whole team until Primal Groudon can give a surprisemotherfucker blow with Choice Scarf Ice Hammer. It can also run standard Sky Plate Aerilate set which just harasses my MMY, and Contrary set just disgusts me.

This thing can be a huge bother if I don't inflict a damage with Stakeout MMY. Since I do not run Moongeist Beam (which does around half to my Registeel on switch), I have to smack it in its face using Judgment which does over half. Also most variants of Slowbro runs Z-Crystal, so Groudon has literally no answer to this. Tyranitar can't take out this thing easily either, because Fur Coat set takes boosted Knock Off couple of times and the ones without Fur Coat usually runs stuff like Pranskter Haze. This thing really makes me wanna get Moongeist Beam for MMY but that means my Registeel will have harder time walling my own MMY and it has to stay healthy for the whole time.
When I used to carry Sunsteel over Moongeist

I am pretty sure that crapton of other things can threaten my team but this is all the major ones I remember.

Conclusion

That's about it. Thanks for reading, and please comment / advice me on how do I prepare against aforementioned 'mons in Threats / Counters section.

Shoutouts to the entire BH community that helped my acquire experience in the metagame, and for giving me fun time in my first-time-ever tour in Smogon.

I tagged shitload of people in second RMT but not feeling like it, not everyone is excited to see new alerts as I am.

Importable
Mewtwo-Mega-Y @ Earth Plate
Ability: Stakeout
Timid Nature
- Psystrike
- Ice Beam
- Judgment
- Sunsteel Strike

Groudon-Primal @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Desolate Land
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Thousand Arrows
- Ice Hammer
- Switcheroo

Tyranitar-Mega @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shift Gear

Giratina @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Fur Coat
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Parting Shot
- Stealth Rock
- Core Enforcer
- Shore Up

Registeel @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Prankster
Sassy Nature
- Haze
- Encore
- U-turn
- Roost

Audino-Mega @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Magic Bounce
Sassy Nature
- Spectral Thief
- Rapid Spin
- U-turn
- Milk Drink

Replays

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-568996841 - one of the tour matches, short as fuck but shows generally how the team works... gonna try to post more.

Last edited:
Something about the Earth Plate Judgment, I think I have seen some people use it, as it is good against some mons that rely on plate for improofing (Gengar-Mega, Reshiram) but idk how common it is or how high ranked those users were, but other than that, a very well-thought-out team!

RNGIsFatal

Banned deucer.
Something about the Earth Plate Judgment, I think I have seen some people use it, as it is good against some mons that rely on plate for improofing (Gengar-Mega, Reshiram) but idk how common it is or how high ranked those users were, but other than that, a very well-thought-out team!
You are right at some extent. I have seen a strange Imposter with Earth Plate, and I also saw someone using Earth Plate MMY to check Normalize Gengar.

Knock Off spam from Tyranitar somewhat alleviates this issue... but it is not a perfect solution. I might consider that. Thanks for feedback!

Duckymomo Senior

Banned deucer.
Good job bro. Imo u should run moongeist over sunsteel on mmy cause ur regi can prankster+heal to still wall the imposter and moongeist is just a lot better on mmy. Besides that the team looks really solid :) I hope I don't have to battle u in the open cause I have 0 counters to stakeout and I can't beat magic bounce audino.

RNGIsFatal

Banned deucer.
Good job bro. Imo u should run moongeist over sunsteel on mmy cause ur regi can prankster+heal to still wall the imposter and moongeist is just a lot better on mmy. Besides that the team looks really solid :) I hope I don't have to battle u in the open cause I have 0 counters to stakeout and I can't beat magic bounce audino.
Man thanks for feedback.

It was always a dilemma for me to run whether sunsteel or moongeist is better... I think I can just run moongeist and initially switch to audino to keep my registeel from taking doubled damage from it. I guess more mind games for me lol.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)