*Big* News for breeding in XY.

増田順一@GAME FREAK inc. ‏@Junichi_Masuda50m
バトルディレクター森本くんに聞いたんだけど、道具「あかいいと」を持たせて育て屋に預けると、ポケモン2匹の「のうりょく」の生まれつきの強さから5種類を引き継ぐんだって!
Translation:

I heard from battle director Morimoto-kun that if you have your pokemon hold the item "Red String/Destiny Knot" and bring it to the Day Care, FIVE of your two pokemon's innate "Abilities" are passed down!

----
Basically if you have a pokemon hold the "Red String/Destiny Knot" item, you can pass down up to 5 IVs from both the parents.

Currently in the process of confirming if this is true or not, but this may make Perfect Pokemon *MUCH* Easier to acquire.

*EDIT:* I can indeed confirm this works. Instead of inheriting 3IVs from the parents, the resulting Baby inherits 5IVs. Others are free to test this as well and share results.

----

For those wondering where to get the "Red String/Destiny Knot" item it is in the Cyllage City Hotel from an NPC in the second floor.

http://pokemon-times.com/archives/2650

Last edited:
Can someone post some details on exactly how this works? Are the IVs passed random? And how does the game choose which parent to pass from?
I assume it's just like it how it currently randomly chooses 3 IVs between the parents, except now it's 5. I hope it's only one parent has to hold it.

I assume it's just like it how it currently randomly chooses 3 IVs between the parents, except now it's 5. I hope it's only one parent has to hold it.
This is how it works from my understanding as well.

Only one parent needs to hold it, the other can hold everstone.

Instead of 3 Inherited IVs, the baby inherits 5.

I can confirm that I'm seeing the effects of this as well. It's great as I already have pokemon with 3 perfect stats, and paired with an appropriate safari ditto with the other two, there's a decent chance of inheriting all five stats you want. The sixth stat, if even needed, will still be down to luck.

You can use Power items to retain the perfect IVs in the vital stats until you get the egg moves that you need... it's not that bad to pass the IVs back down to Azurill once you've got BD/AJ under your belt

only problem w this is that i don't think everstone will work on the non-ditto parent, meaning you'll have to chain breed for a good ability/nature if you're using a perfect ditto :/

otherwise i am syched to get my old mons transferred up

only problem w this is that i don't think everstone will work on the non-ditto parent, meaning you'll have to chain breed for a good ability/nature if you're using a perfect ditto :/

otherwise i am syched to get my old mons transferred up
why wouldn't it work on the non-ditto parent?

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Man, I read "five abilities" and for a moment I thought there were Hidden Hidden Abilities in this game ("you have to hold Destiny Knot and have DW parents to get a chance of yet ANOTHER Hidden Ability!!!"). I'm almost disappointed.

So, let me see. We start using Synchronize to catch good-natured double-flawless parents on the Safari; then, we let both breed holding an Everstone and a Power Item; once we get two triple-flawless (or even quad-) pokémon, we put both to breed, one holding an Everstone and the other, a Destiny Knot; finally, if need be, we put the latter's quad-flawless offspring to breed. This is all without even touching the PokéBank for good parents.

gg GG?

And thanks to this, I just bred my first competitive Pokemon (quint-flawless Adamant Huge Power Marill) without RNG.

So much <3 for Morimoto right now.

Question: Does this affect the gender of the baby, though? I bred ~20 Marill, and even though Marill has a 50/50 M/F ratio, ~15 of them were female while my female Marill held the Destiny Knot.

Last edited:
WOW this is great also that the babys doesn't come only in the Pokeball, now they will be on the mother pokeball .
Imagine when pokebank comes along and we start breeding for our hexaflawless Shadow Sneak Gallades inside Friend Balls. At least that's what I'm going to do. The pros can breed their Shinny Charizards inside Luxury Balls, while I'm spreading Kurt's balls over the internet like a hipster. Hopefully, if they're inheritable.

Man, I read "five abilities" and for a moment I thought there were Hidden Hidden Abilities in this game ("you have to hold Destiny Knot and have DW parents to get a chance of yet ANOTHER Hidden Ability!!!"). I'm almost disappointed.

So, let me see. We start using Synchronize to catch good-natured double-flawless parents on the Safari; then, we let both breed holding an Everstone and a Power Item; once we get two triple-flawless (or even quad-) pokémon, we put both to breed, one holding an Everstone and the other, a Destiny Knot; finally, if need be, we put the latter's quad-flawless offspring to breed. This is all without even touching the PokéBank for good parents.

gg GG?
Pretty much. Thanks to Safari, triple-flawless it really quite trivial right now. Even if the Pokemon you want can't be found in Safari (eg. Gengar I think), you can use Safari dittos to chain breed the IVs you want onto a wild normal Gastly.

Jesus, just tried this myself and it's completely fucking awesome. So awesome not having to put so much effort in to get good mons bred naturally, but the effort you do put in seems much more satisfying.

Bred a Modest Gooey Goodra with Ivs: 31 / 20 - 21 / 31 / 31 / 31 / 31 with this method. Its still a bit work if you don't have an already flawless parent, but its definitely manageable to get flawless pokémon now :)

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.
Wonderful news, breeding a near-perfect IV mon might not take all day now! I can't wait to transfer over my flawless IV Ditto from BW and get to work.

Amazing news, i have been disappointed with the fact there were no IV improvements in X all week and woke up to find this wonderful news. Being a person with no interest in RNGing pokes or hacking ones but still having a need to satisfy my inner power gamer this made my life x1000 times easier.

So i quickly began doing some work today and was wondering if anyone else is mass breeding a pokemon with this news? I began work on a protean Froakie and ended up with 2 modest 31/x/31/31/31/31 female ones and i am sure i will have several more by the end of the day. Perhaps if there are more people like myself out there we could set up some way to trade our extras to each other to cut down the breeding time even more so?

This isn't mine, but I had a friend of mine hash it out really quickly: http://pastebin.com/WZq1jk0v

If you take a pokemon from the Friend Safari (which have two guaranteed 31s, let's say HP/ATK) and an evolved Baby Pokemon (confirmed to have three guaranteed 31s, let's say DEF/SP.ATK/SPEED) and breed them in the hopes to eventually get a baby with 31/31/31/31/xx/31, your odds are 1/192 out of the gate with the Destiny Knot. If you add another shared 31 to the Friend Safari/Baby Pokemon (let's say the FS pokemon now has HP/ATK/SPEED), your odds are instantly increased to 1/96 for a Quint-31 child. Once you have a pair of Quint-31 parents, 1/6 offspring will be identical Quint-31s.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)