*Big* News for breeding in XY.

Maybe I'm not understanding this: Is it a guaranteed five IVs from Destiny Knot, or is it just likely five? Because I have my Frogadier with perfect HP and Sp. Attack holding Destiny Knot breeding with Timid Ditto holding Everstone with perfect Sp. Def and Speed, hoping to eventually get a Froakie with perfect HP, Sp. Attack, and Speed. First egg only had perfect Speed.
The Destiny Knot is a guaranteed 5.

To elaborate on what lucariojr said:

Your parents are 31/x/x/31/x/x and x/x/x/x/31/31.

The baby can inherit 5 of those 12 IVs. To fulfill your requirement, the HP must be an inherited IV (I'm not sure the formula/probability of inheriting from a parent and of being randomly generated) and it must pull from the Frogadier (50% chance). The same must happen with Special Attack and Speed. Ignoring all the other factors and just looking at the 3 stats in question, you have a 0.5 x 0.5 x 0.5 chance of getting the 3 perfect IVs you want, or 1 in 8 eggs. Of course, this is assuming that HP, Sp Attack, and Speed are the IVs chosen to be inherited from the parents.

OH so the Destiny Knot isn't forcing 5 from the parent holding it, but 5 from both parents combined? I assumed that the parent holding the Destiny Knot was having 5 of its 6 stats transferred, leaving the one left to the other parent.

EDIT: Okay, yeah - rereading the OP with this in mind, that makes much more sense. My mistake.

I assume it can't force the same stat from both parents? ie. Spending 2 of the 5 "forces" on HP alone.
It seems there are greater forces at work that we're missing here. I'm getting way too many eggs with just three perfect IVs or less, even when the parents have perfect IVs all round. It is statistically implausible, unless...

According to Bulbapedia, the game first checks for a random IV to inherit from either parent, then does the same for another IV other than HP, then again for another IV other than HP and Def. If the game picks Atk for the first check, and the second check also picks Atk, then the second call for inheritance is skipped, and the third check can never be Atk, HP or Def.

My theory is that with Destiny Knot equipped, the first 3 stats are all picked from the entire stat pool, with checks being skipped in case of repetittion, and the last two out of five checks can pick any but HP and HP and Def. This needs research that I'm in no way qualified to pursue, however.

Our odds are still good, so much that my calculator makes a smiley face whenever I crunch this data.

ShadowyKatana

Banned deucer.
I'm glad getting perfect IVs is it least much easier than the past generations when even one perfect IV was like a gift from the god, then again we also had RNG to help us back then. lol.

It is so much easier. Although it took me 2 days, I finally got my Adamant flawless speed boost Torchic. Funny thing was I got 2 in a row. Too bad the second one wasn't a female, or I'd have 2 flawless parents to breed countless perfect Torchics. XD

It is so much easier. Although it took me 2 days, I finally got my Adamant flawless speed boost Torchic. Funny thing was I got 2 in a row. Too bad the second one wasn't a female, or I'd have 2 flawless parents to breed countless perfect Torchics. XD
This has happened twice in one day to me. I'm glad I'm not the only one suffering "getting two of your target IV spread on your last egg batch" syndrome.

Clearly the Destiny Knot is taunting us.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The Destiny Knot is a guaranteed 5.

To elaborate on what lucariojr said:

Your parents are 31/x/x/31/x/x and x/x/x/x/31/31.

The baby can inherit 5 of those 12 IVs. To fulfill your requirement, the HP must be an inherited IV (I'm not sure the formula/probability of inheriting from a parent and of being randomly generated) and it must pull from the Frogadier (50% chance). The same must happen with Special Attack and Speed. Ignoring all the other factors and just looking at the 3 stats in question, you have a 0.5 x 0.5 x 0.5 chance of getting the 3 perfect IVs you want, or 1 in 8 eggs. Of course, this is assuming that HP, Sp Attack, and Speed are the IVs chosen to be inherited from the parents.
Master WGS
The probability here is actually a bit lower. First, the destiny knot must select the IVs you're looking for. You want 3 IVs, which is a 3/6 chance of the destiny knot even picking HP, Speed, and Special Attack to even pass. Then it multiplies by the % chance in each IV to select it. So start off with a 50% chance to pass HP, Speed, and Special attack, then multiply by a 50% chance to pass frogadier's HP, 50% to pass frogadier's special attack, and 50% to pass Ditto's Speed, leaving you with 1/16.

Pardon my ignorance, but if I have a Ditto with it's Hidden Ability, can I breed it with a Pokemon who does not and make their babies have their hidden abilities? There's been a lot of talk of Infiltrator Dragalgae, and I wanted to try and prove it.

Master WGS
The probability here is actually a bit lower. First, the destiny knot must select the IVs you're looking for. You want 3 IVs, which is a 3/6 chance of the destiny knot even picking HP, Speed, and Special Attack to even pass. Then it multiplies by the % chance in each IV to select it. So start off with a 50% chance to pass HP, Speed, and Special attack, then multiply by a 50% chance to pass frogadier's HP, 50% to pass frogadier's special attack, and 50% to pass Ditto's Speed, leaving you with 1/16.
Thanks for clarifying. So, though it's much much much easier than before, it's not quite as guaranteed as I originally thought. I'm pretty new to IV breeding in general, so thanks for being helpful/patient with my ignorance! Before the Destiny Knot discovery I lived in a world of "Parents might pass IVs but sometimes they don't? Idunno, hope for the best!" so this makes everything a lot clearer.

That said, I'm still not totally clear on what can breed with what in regards to "family." I thought parents couldn't breed with their offspring, but I definitely had a Froakie(m) born from the aforementioned Ditto + Frogadier(f) breed with that same Frogadier(f). Was barring incestuous relationships ever a thing, or did I just assume that?

Lol, i got a level 20 with a modest nature, and sent it back out into the world since i was doing a chain, and i just got it back 5 trades later. Maybe its meant to be for me to have a modest natured honedge XD

EDIT: My bad, i posted in wrong forum :/ You can delete if you want ;-;

Thanks for clarifying. So, though it's much much much easier than before, it's not quite as guaranteed as I originally thought. I'm pretty new to IV breeding in general, so thanks for being helpful/patient with my ignorance! Before the Destiny Knot discovery I lived in a world of "Parents might pass IVs but sometimes they don't? Idunno, hope for the best!" so this makes everything a lot clearer.

That said, I'm still not totally clear on what can breed with what in regards to "family." I thought parents couldn't breed with their offspring, but I definitely had a Froakie(m) born from the aforementioned Ditto + Frogadier(f) breed with that same Frogadier(f). Was barring incestuous relationships ever a thing, or did I just assume that?
It was back in Gen II, IIRC.

Gen II barred incest. Pokemon breeding today encourages incest. In fact, pokemon breeding is very very "immoral," lol.

So you two are related? Not my problem, I'm gonna go ride my bike until you have incest and lay an egg.

So you two don't like each other? Not my problem, I'm gonna go ride my bike until one of you rapes the other and lays an egg.

So your baby doesn't have the IV's I'm looking for? Sorry, but your child will just take up space in one of my boxes. I'm gonna have to throw it away.

Last edited:
So your baby doesn't have the IV's I'm looking for? Sorry, but your child will just take up space in one of my boxes. I'm gonna have to throw it away.
How can you sleep at night?! That's terrible.

You're not throwing them away. You repopulating the wild with once nearly extinct species. Just look at what we did in Unova after two years. Juniper was none the wiser, but it's the trainers fault we now have wild Riolu roaming around. Along other "rare" species.

Okay, so it was Gen II. Probably read that in a strategy guide or something and just assumed it had stayed that way.

Anyway, progress report: worked my way to a quint-flawless timid Protean Froakie last night, so I guess I figured it out. Breeding with Marril now to spread to another egg group.

For the record, an NPC (where was him? I THINK that in the monorail town) says that Pokemon eggs are not really eggs, but a cradle of some kind. And Pokemon breeding is as much a mystery in-game as it has always been. I think that the developers want us to believe in some "stork hypothesis", but take from that what you will.

Regardless, a somewhat stupid question: in Chesnaught's thread over at UT, a poster said that by breeding a female Chesnaught and a male Breloom, he could get a Chespin with Drain Punch. Several other posters said that they had no success in obtaining that move by using a male Smeargle or Mienfoo in the process. In the off-chance that the first poster wasn't mistaken, has the move-inheritance mechanics changed, i.e.: can some parents pass the move down while others can't? EXTREMELY unlikely, I know, but it doesn't hurt asking.

Last edited:
Can you use destiny knot for 5 IV's and then use a power item to guarantee the 6th one? or is that useless because of nature importance?

afaik the power item will lock one of the 5 IV's chose by Destiny Knot, so using both is mostly a waste (especially because of nature-passing, yes)

For the record, an NPC (where was him? I THINK that in the monorail town) says that Pokemon eggs are not really eggs, but a cradle of some kind. And Pokemon breeding is as much a mystery in-game as it has always been. I think that the developers want us to believe in some "stork hypothesis", but take from that what you will.

Regardless, a somewhat stupid question: in Chesnaught's thread over at UT, a poster said that by breeding a female Chesnaught and a male Breloom, he could get a Chespin with Drain Punch. Several other posters said that they had no success in obtaining that move by using a male Smeargle or Mienfoo in the process. In the off-chance that the first poster wasn't mistaken, has the move-inheritance mechanics changed, i.e.: can some parents pass the move down while others can't? EXTREMELY unlikely, I know, but it doesn't hurt asking.
Is Swanna the stork then?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)