ORAS Doubles OU Birthday (Seasonal success)

I decided to join Doubles Seasonal and Doubles Open because I was ok at the tier, and wanted to have some fun. After playing bad in the Open, Seasonal was the only shot I had at doing well in a Doubles tour.

As Doubles seasonal got further deep in rounds, and I started to get good opponents, I figured it was time that I start making less standard teams that can beat common play styles. I built this team during round 5, when I realized I had a good opportunity to go further in seasonal. This team was saved in the back, but in my round 6 series versus Silverwhiteblue, I decided that it finally needed its debut in the third game. Now that I am out from round 7, its time that I reveal the team I built.

I decided to use an under appreciated mega, Mega Charizard X, which could be used to throw my opponents off guard thinking its the more common Mega Charizard Y.

Clefairy helps out by redirecting moves away from Charizard, such as from status moves that hinder Charizards ability to sweep, and weakening spread moves thanks to Friend Guard. This makes it easier for Charizard to sweep.

Cube and Aegislash pair with Charizard well, Kyurem is able to form an offensive duo with Charizard and Aegislash is able to scare off fairies, as well as use Wide Guard, protecting it from moves such as Diancie's Diamond Storm. Kyurem also deals with Heatran, which can be troublesome to Charizard.

Azumarill appreciates Clefairy redirecting attacks, as well as Charizard beating up Grass types, and in return, can chip off threats to Charizard, such as Diancie, and act as another win condition.

Finally, I added Thundurus to spread around Thunder Wave, as well as having a fast offensive presence.

In-Depth

AOEMICA (Charizard-Mega-X) @ Charizardite X | Tough Claws
EVs: 48 HP / 216 Atk / 16 Def / 228 Spe | Adamant
Dragon Dance / Dragon Claw / Flare Blitz / Protect

The main focus of this team was Charizard X. I went with a standard spread, that is able to live a Landorus-T's Earthquake after spread damage. Dragon Claw and Flare Blitz are only walled by Heatran, which is not a dominant threat to my team as it gets defeated by Kyurem-B and Azumarill, so I have no reason to run Earthquake. Dragon Dance is able to sweep late game, especially with a strong Flare Blitz to back it up. With Clefairy's support, status from Thundurus, as well as offensive support from Kyurem-B, Aegislash, and Azumarill, zard is able to get an easier sweep. Protect helps scouting for moves, as well as letting the teammate potentially kill something.

Charizard is used more late game, when its checks have been weakened or taken out. If threats such as Landorus-T or Diancie are still present, try to get them gone with the other Pokemon first (Cube beating Landorus-T, Flash Cannon Thundurus or Azumarill checking Diancie.)

XASTIFY (Clefairy) @ Eviolite | Friend Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 SpD | Bold
Follow Me / Heal Pulse / Icy Wind / Protect

Clefairy is the glue of this team, as with redirection support as well as weakening spread moves that hurt Charizard (Earthquake, Rock Slide, Diamond Storm), Clefairy proves its worth as support. Thunder Wave is also taken away from Prankster Thundurus, so it cannot paralyze a set up Charizard. However, Clefairy also support the whole team, as it can handle Dragon threats for Kyurem, Dark-types for Aegislash, and making an Azumarill sweep easier. Heal Pulse grants another opportunity for Charizard or Azumarill to set up, and potentially putting them out of KO ranges. Icy Wind helps Kyurem-B and Aegislash too, as they are a bit slower but have great wall breaking power.

Bring in Clefairy on a predicted attack that is weak against Clefairy, and then use it as a support to the Pokemon next to you. Try to KO Taunt users, such as Thundurus, before getting into a supporting role otherwise Clefairy is next to useless.

AJNA (Kyurem-Black) @ Leftovers | Teravolt
EVs: 108 HP / 252 SpA / 148 Spe | Modest
Substitute / Ice Beam / Earth Power / Protect

Wallbreaker #1, Kyurem-B, is able to punch holes through many teams, and helping out Charizard. Substitute is for making Kyurem-B a bigger threat, having to use more hits to knock it out, and making it easier to dish out damage. Ice Beam is the STAB of the set, handling Ground-type threats, such as Landorus-T, for Charizard. Earth Power is the coverage, hitting Heatran which can otherwise wall Charizard, as well as dealing with Rotom forms, to not pester Azumarill, Aegislash, or Thundurus. The EV spread allows Kyurem-B to outspeed Breloom, while getting max Special Attack.

Use Kyurem to weaken the opponent, and making it easier for Charizard or Azumarill to sweep. With Clefairys support, it can get its check's attacks redirected, such as Latios' Draco Meteor, or Keldeo's Secret Sword. Aegislash can scare fairy types, so they form a powerful wall breaking core.

BASED SCYTHE (Aegislash) @ Weakness Policy | Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD | Quiet
King's Shield / Shadow Ball / Substitute / Wide Guard

Aegislash is the other wallbreaker of the team, hitting ridiculously hard with Shadow Ball. While it is odd that it lacks Steel STAB, Nido-Rus and I have concluded that having Wide Guard support is more helpful for dealing with Earthquakes and other spread moves for Charizard, and, Shadow Ball still hits hard even and Aegislash still poses a threat on most fairies are they are not able to do much damage back. King's Shield is standard, putting Aegislash back into Shield form to wall attacks. And, Substitute makes Aegislash a bigger threat, as it can change into Blade form without much fear, and last much longer with changing back and forth between forms. Weakness Policy along with Aegislash's bulk means it will live a hit most of the time and boost its Special Attack, and makes it even a bigger threat.

Aegislash wards off fairies, so it goes well with Kyreum-B. It supports Charizard by not being hit by spread moves, so it can be used alongside Charizard as well. Clefairy helps when Dark-types are present, such as Hydreigon, which do minimal damage to Clefairy. Clefairy can also heal up Aegislash after Substituting, as it does take away health.

TIDAL WALTZ (Azumarill) @ Sitrus Berry | Huge Power
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spe | Adamant
Belly Drum / Aqua Jet / Play Rough / Protect

Azumarill is mostly another win condition, but it can handle weakened threats to Charizard, such as Diancie or Talonflame, because of Aqua Jet. However, it can get an easier sweep thanks to the team mates, Aegislash being able to check Steel-types such as Metagross, and Kyurem-B handling the Rotom forms makes it easier for Azumarill to break the opposing team further. Play Rough with a Belly Drum hits hard, and kills most non resisted Pokemon. Protect helps scout, and letting a team mate handle threats that can use status on Azumarill.

Azumarill handles Fighting-type threats for Kyurem-B, like Keldeo, so they form a good pair together. Kyurem-B in return handles Electric type Pokemon for Azumarill. Use Clefairy's Follow Me to be able to redirect attacks, making it easier to Belly Drum and potentially sweep, or do serious damage to the opposing team.

KABLEYE (Thundurus) @ Life Orb | Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe | Timid
Thunder Wave / Thunderbolt / Hidden Power [Ice] / Flash Cannon

Offensive Thundurus is a fast threat off the bat, as well as providing more speed control with yellow magic. Thunderbolt is the main STAB, hitting hard with Life Orb, and beating threats such as Keldeo. HP Ice is for slower ground types, as they pose a threat to Charizard and Aegislash. And, Flash Cannon was picked to be able to handle Diancie (and other weakened Fairies), so that it is out of the way for Charizard. Max Speed to be able to outspeed Diancie, as well as having a speed tie with other offensive Thundurus'.

Thundurus, while being an offensive set, helps support the team with another way of speed control. Since Clefairy may not be using Icy Wind often, having a stop for the rest of the game in Thunder Wave helps the wall breakers on the team not have to worry about getting outspeed and taking damage.

Conclusion
Although my Seasonal run has come to an end, I had a lot of fun in the rounds that I played up to, and had a good time making this team. I have tested it on many play styles, such as Rain, or just standard offense, and has done well. I do not have many replays, as I had kept the team a secret until I used it in Seasonal. Thanks for reading!

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/doublesou-283296746 - Where I debut the team, Game 3 in Round 6 versus Silverwhiteblue using a Mega Metagross team

AOEMICA (Charizard-Mega-X) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 48 HP / 216 Atk / 16 Def / 228 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Protect

XASTIFY (Clefairy) @ Eviolite
Ability: Friend Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 SpD
Bold Nature
- Follow Me
- Heal Pulse
- Icy Wind
- Protect

AJNA (Kyurem-Black) @ Leftovers
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 108 HP / 252 SpA / 148 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Protect

BASED SCYTHE (Aegislash) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- King's Shield
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute
- Wide Guard

TIDAL WALTZ (Azumarill) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Protect

KABLEYE (Thundurus) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Flash Cannon
Kableye - probably my best friend on PS, thanks for being chill and spreading the use of twave!
aoemica - best memer god at ru
xastify - i ll miss u
Ajna - realest user
Nido-Rus real g for being there when i need dou help, thanks for sets and teams c:
Natural Talent - dank user
Scythe. - based french user and next uu open winner
Capteon - gl in ur annual 6 month retreat
Lyto Feliburn Heydude:D MainEvent ajernejcic Twix Psynergy atomicllamas Diogo Tidal Waltz MrAldo Ping_Pong_Along galbia Arikado Lord Death Man Oma Corporal Levi H&MBerkeley Shrug trash Lord Alphose Mysteria ZANBAKUResh Yagura Austin DKFirelord bludz Schaff The Leprechaun

Last edited:
nah, i dont really rely on its bulk often. i put that ev spread as more of a safe option incase clef died, and one of my pokemon has not already taken down lando yet

Hey TCO, the team looks really solid and you did p well in seasonals n_n The concept of the team is well executed; a fast, hyper offensive team with a one mon redirector to keep the team glued together. You have two different but equally viable ways to close out the game. However, there are two main flaws I see with the team: an over-reliance on Clefairy and a pretty big weakness to Mega Kangaskhan. Almost none of the mons on your team can chew a non resisted hit well besides Clefairy and although Friend Guard helps, once Clefairy is worn down, your team crumbles to common threats pretty quickly. Similar things happen when Aegislash get worn down: threats such as Mega Diancie just steamroll through you. Also, you have no ways to check or cripple Kangaskhan besides throwing attacks at it, which is generally going to be in their favor.

First, I'm going to suggest Flash Cannon > Sub on Aegislash. I do really like Steel-less Aegislash myself, but this team cannot go without the coverage, as this is your main check to Mega Diancie and Kangaskhan if it hits you with a Sucker Punch. Without Leftovers, Sub WG Aegi tends to get worn down too quickly but I agree with the item choice on this team; you need an offensive one rather than a defensive one. This should help you cope with these two megas significantly better.

Next, I'd go with Protect > Thunder Wave on Thundurus. While this might seem counter-intuitive to the problem of over-reliance that I suggested earlier, your team does not need too much speed control. Its main win conditions either boost their own speed or have priority and it's not like TWave really helps Aegislash, Clef, or Thundurus itself. Protect takes some of the burden of taking hits off of Clefairy. Triple coverage Thundurus was chosen well as you need all the threats hit, so this seems like the most expendable move.

Kyurem-B does not seem like it fits well on the team, to be quite honest. It exacerbates a weakness to Fairies (while the team doesn't really struggle with them you don't want to invite them in :S) and Kang while only handling Landorus-T. Rotom-W > Kyurem-B provides many of the same benefits while only really worsening the matchup against rain, which your team does fine against anyways. Rotom-W provides a much more solid switchin to Landorus-T and still manhandles Heatran as well. The most notable benefit of Rotom-W is the improved matchup against Mega Kangaskhan: Will-O-Wisp cripples it for the rest of the match and also allows Charizard and Azu to set up on it. The bulkier switchin to general attacks such as MDiancie Diamond Storm doesn't hurt either. Although you lose some wallbreaking power, I think the rest of your team handles that well enough due to your ability to use one set up sweeper in the early game to break holes.

With that change, though, brings a slight weakness to Amoonguss. Your build doesn't like Ferro much either, as the only Fire move on your team is contact and heavily damages your win con. This is a tentative change, but you could try Knock Off > Play Rough on Azu. I've seen users like KillianVGC hyping up this set and it looks pretty decent. This allows Azu to easily OHKO Ferrothorn and Amoonguss after setting up. Another benefit of Knock Off is that you don't miss (one of the worst feelings in mons is missing a +6 Play Rough ;_;). The drawback is obvious: you can't act as a Keldeo check because of the missing STAB. The team handles it well enough, however, so this is a change you can consider.

GL with the team and I hope you play more doubles n_n

Flash Cannon > Sub on Aegislash
Protect > Thunder Wave on Thundurus
Knock Off > Play Rough on Azu
>

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 116 SpA / 40 SpD
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)