original thread by FlyThai, here
with permission from Karxrida
format stolen from Repeater1947

#625 - Bisharp

"The Sword Blade Pokemon"
Base Stats:

65 HP / 125 Atk / 100 Def / 60 SpA / 70 SpD / 70 Spe

Abilities:

Defiant: Attack is raised by two stages when the Pokémon has its stats lowered. Doesn't work on self inflicted stat drops or drops from allies.
Inner Focus: This Pokémon will not flinch. Does not prevent flinching with Focus Punch.
Pressure (HA): When this Pokémon is hit by a move, the opponent’s PP lowers by 2 rather than 1.

Notable Moves:
(BOLD
Grey indicates STAB)

• Knock Off
  • Sucker Punch
  • Iron Head
  • Pursuit
  • Swords Dance
  • Low Kick
  • Taunt
  • Stealth Rock
  • Thunder Wave
  • Metal Burst
  • Aerial Ace
  • Psycho Cut
  • Rock Polish
  • Stone Edge
Analysis:

Bisharp has been a much-hyped Pokemon since its release back in the days of BW, due to its unique typing in Dark and Steel, which is only shared by its pre-evolution Pawniard, as well as the slick overall design. It languished in the depths of UU until the dawning of XY, where it rose to OU as a top-tier threat, even cutting S rank when Aegislash reigned. Sporting numerous positive traits that seperate it from other Dark-types and Steel-types in OU, such as a great ability in Defiant, access to STAB Knock Off, which is arguably the best move in the game, as well as the ability to check multiple top-tier threats such as Latios, Gengar and Mega Metagross, Bisharp. Defiant is best known for taking advantage of 'haxy drops' and general stat drops caused by Memento and Intimidate, making it a great check to even premier physical walls such as Landorus-Therian and Defog Skarmory, a trait many physical attackers lack, as well as the ability to pressure many Defog users such as Latios and Mandibuzz as Defog will activate Defiant. In addition, it has access to Swords Dance, making it a terrifying set-up sweeper, and Sucker Punch, which mitigates its below-average Speed stat. Combined with Pursuit, Bisharp can often play mind games with the opponent on whether it will go for Pursuit or Sucker Punch.

On the other hand, Bisharp has a nasty quadruple weakness to Fighting-type attacks, amplified even more with an increase in usage of various Fighting-types such as Keldeo as well as the advent of ORAS, which has brought various new Megas such as Mega Lopunny and Mega Gallade, which has taken a nasty toll on Bisharp. Moreover, a below-average Speed stat makes it quite hard to work with, and generally relies on Sucker Punch to mitigate this, leaving it open to set-up sweepers and status, leading to many 50-50s and mindgames. Additionally, Bisharp has quite poor special bulk, and is often pressured to switch into Pokemon it is supposed to be check such as Latios and Gengar as even resisted hits do a hefty chunk - for example Latios' Draco Meteor does 70% to uninvested Bisharp.

Overall, Bisharp is a great fit onto offense teams, especially ones with spike-stacking or hazards, as Bisharp can pressure Defog users nicely. It also checks a wide spectrum of Pokemon, including Clefable, Mega Metagross and Mega Altaria, making it a great choice for an offensive team.

Movesets:

"
Pursuit"

Bisharp @ Life Orb / Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 52 SpD / 204 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Iron Head

This set makes use of Bisharp's unique typing and access to Pursuit, making it a great check to many Psychic- and Ghost-types such as Latios, Gengar and Reuniclus. Pursuit is the main focus here, and by virtue of Bisharp's typing it can come in freely on Ghost- and Psychic-types and threaten them by Pursuit-trapping them. Knock Off is Bisharp's most spammable STAB move, having the utility of removing its targets of their item and can also cripple its usual checks and counters such as Chesnaught and Keldeo. Sucker Punch is used to hit faster targets, patching up Bisharp's lower Speed stat, and coupled with Pursuit can generate many 50-50s. Lastly, Iron Head is Bisharp's move against Fairy- and Rock-types that can shrug off its Dark-type STABs easily, such as Clefable and Tyranitar.

A Life Orb is the chosen item for Bisharp to hit as possible whilst still powering up Iron Head which Black Glasses fails to do. It is to be noted that a +1 Sucker Punch fully OHKOs Choice Scarf Landorus-Therian after Stealth Rock damage, which Black Glasses does not do. However, Black Glasses can be used to prevent Bisharp from taking recoil thus increasing it's longevity. The given EV spread maximises Bisharp's damage output by giving it full investment in Attack and with an Adamant Nature. 52 EVs invested into the Special Defense stat allows Bisharp to live a Life Orb Latios' Hidden Power Fire after Stealth Rock damage from full health, which is critical to prevent any Pursuit-Sucker Punch 50-50s. The rest is dumped into Speed to make Bisharp as fast as possible, outspeeding key threats such as Choice Specs Magnezone.

However, a Jolly Nature is perfectly viable, and allows Bisharp to outspeed threats such as Adamant Mega Heracross, Adamant/Modest Mega Altaria, Adamant Dragonite, just to name a few, but at the cost of significant power. If running Jolly, a spread of 204 Atk / 52 SpD / 252 Spe should be used to preserve the Speed and bulk benchmarks at the cost of some power.

"Swords Dance"
Bisharp @ Life Orb / Black Glasses / Lum Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Iron Head

This set differentiates itself from Bisharp's Pursuit-trapping set by turning Bisharp from a dedicated trapper into a terrifying sweeper. Swords Dance is the main boosting move, making Bisharp immediately threatening after only one boost, putting offensive pressure onto many teams. Sucker Punch mitigates Bisharp lower Speed stat, and is Bisharp's main move to deal with faster threats such as Thundurus and Talonflame. Knock Off is extremely spammable and hits insanely hard after only one boost, and comes with the extra utility of removing the opponent of their item. Lastly, Iron Head deals with Fairy-types who resist Bisharp's STAB Dark moves such as Sylveon and Clefable, as well as good neutral damage against Fairy, Fighting- and Dark-types.

The set have EVs that are fairly straightforward. Maximum Attack investment allows Bisharp to hit as hard as possible, and maximum Speed investment in tandem with a Jolly Nature makes Bisharp as swift as possible, outspeeding many Pokemon such as Mega Venusaur and Mega Altaria. Life Orb is the chosen item to buff up Iron Head so as to hit Fairy- and Dark-types harder; however Black Glasses is an option as well to prevent Bisharp from taking Life Orb recoil. Lum Berry can also be used to shrug off status once, so it can check status inducers such as Rotom-W and Mew. Defiant is the chosen ability to switch into Defoggers such as Latios and Skarmory and take advantage of the free boost it gives Bisharp.

"Bulky Trapper"

Bisharp @ Assault Vest
EVs: 192 HP / 252 Atk / 64 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Iron Head

This set aims to patch up Bisharp's poor Special Defense stat with an Assault Vest, making it a better switch-in into Psychic- or Ghost-types such as Latios, Gengar and Cresselia. Pursuit allows Bisharp to trap and eliminate troublesome Psychic- or Ghost-types that may prove a trouble to the team. Sucker Punch mitigates Bisharp lower Speed to deal damage to faster threats such as Tornadus-Therian and Volcarona. Knock Off is extremely spammable STAB, added with the utility of crippling the opponent by removing their item. Lastly, Iron Head deals with Fairy-types such as Clefable, and with an Assault Vest Bisharp is a good check to many of them.

The given EV spread is complicated yet effective; 192 HP investment with 64 Special Defense investment allows Bisharp to survive 2 Life Orb Latios' Hidden Power Fire 88% of the time, not accounting for Stealth Rock damage. More Special Defense can be invested to turn this into a guaranteed 3HKO. The rest is dumped into Attack for more power overall. Defiant is the chosen ability to switch into Defoggers such as Latios and Skarmory and take advantage of the free boost it gives Bisharp.

A spread of 192 HP / 220 Atk / 96 Spe is viable as well, with the Speed EVs enough for Jolly Azumarill, the Attack hitting a jump point and the rest into HP for more bulk. However this comes at a significant cost of power.

Other Options:

A Focus Sash set with Swords Dance is viable, allowing to live a hit and deal heavy damage; however it misses out on Life Orb and is easily exploitable due to hazards breaking the Sash.
A dedicated lead set with Stealth Rock is viable as well; however it is walled completely by Mega Sableye and there are better leads out there such as Garchomp and Azelf.
Low Kick deals with opposing Bisharp and Mega Gyarados as well as dealing more damage to Steel-types such as Ferrothorn and Heatran.
Taunt is a good stallbreaking option easing Bisharp in beating walls such as Alomomola and Chansey; however Bisharp will, as a result, lose out on quite a bit of coverage.
Thunder Wave allows Bisharp to cripple switch-ins such as Chesnaught, Keldeo and Mega Gyarados.
A Choice Scarf set remedies Bisharp's poorer Speed stat and allowing it to spam Knock Off easier.
Aerial Ace lures in and deals with various Fighting-types such as Chesnaught, Mega Heracross and Keldeo - it 2HKOs Chesnaught and Keldeo and OHKOs Heracross. It is to be noted that the combination of Aerial Ace + Sucker Punch KOs Keldeo, but again loses out much-needed on coverage.
Rock Polish mitigates Bisharp's low Speed and makes Knock Off even more spammable, but lacks the coverage to sweep.
Grass Knot lets Bisharp get past Hippowdon and Quagsire, two common checks to it, as well as deal decent damage to Mega Gyarados and Keldeo, but is extremely situtational and piss weak coming off of a 60 Base Special Attack.

Conclusion:

Bisharp has always been a top-tier threat, even reigning supreme during the days of Aegislash and Deoxys-Speed. How has the advent of ORAS affected Bisharp? With the Speed and Power creep, is Bisharp still as effective? With rises in usage of Choice Scarf Tyranitar, is Tyranitar being favoured over Bisharp as a Pursuit-trapper? How effective is Rock Polish Bisharp (lol)?

Last edited:
I use a slightly unorthodox set.

Bisharp @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
- Power-Up Punch

Pup and swords dance together is quite strange but it works to keep the momentum going after one boost. I use it mainly on opposing Bisharp and Tyranitar.

I use a slightly unorthodox set.

Bisharp @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
- Power-Up Punch

Pup and swords dance together is quite strange but it works to keep the momentum going after one boost. I use it mainly on opposing Bisharp and Tyranitar.
Much as I welcome innovation and new sets I would question your EV and item choice here - or rather, their use in tandem. Your choice of Focus Sash implies to me you're expecting to take a move that would OHKO you while setting up, which would make any defensive investment absolutely worthless. I would rather put it in speed to outrun threats you otherwise wouldn't, to keep up said momentum. Or if you do wish to go for defensive investment, you'd be much better off with Black Glasses as your item.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Looks really good, nice job.
Thunder wave may sound cool on paper, but it really doesn't achieve much aside from the Lols as if the intent is to target mega gyara / Keldeo / etc then it's much more worthwhile running a coverage move for them. Low Kick hits mega gyara while aerial ace is a pretty cool Keldeo lure. This was brought up in another thread somewhere, but psycho cut honestly isn't that great since aerial ace 2HKOs all of its targets, most notably actually 2HKOing Chesnaught while psycho cut cannot.
Only other thing I'd change is putting the SD set first since it's arguably the most threatening variant and is necessary to prepare for on all teams.

approved by Aragorn the King
original thread by FlyThai, here
format stolen from Repeater1947

#625 - Bisharp

"The Sword Blade Pokemon"
Base Stats:

65 HP / 125 Atk / 100 Def / 60 SpA / 70 SpD / 70 Spe

Abilities:

Defiant: Attack is raised by two stages when the Pokémon has its stats lowered. Doesn't work on self inflicted stat drops or drops from allies.
Inner Focus: This Pokémon will not flinch. Does not prevent flinching with Focus Punch.
Pressure (HA): When this Pokémon is hit by a move, the opponent’s PP lowers by 2 rather than 1.

Psycho Cut or Aerial Ace lures in and deals with various Fighting-types such as Chesnaught and Keldeo, but again loses out much-needed on coverage.
As someone who runs Lure Bisharp almost all the time, you should never run Psycho Cut over Aerial Ace. Aerial Ace always 2HKOs Chesnaught and OHKOs Mega Heracross and is still a 2HKO on Keldeo on the switch followed up by a sucker punch

252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Psycho Cut vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 133-159 (35 - 41.8%) -- 79.8% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Aerial Ace vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 234-276 (61.5 - 72.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Psycho Cut vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Heracross: 190-224 (63.1 - 74.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Aerial Ace vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Heracross: 322-385 (106.9 - 127.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Aerial Ace vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 200-237 (61.9 - 73.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 99-117 (30.6 - 36.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

Last edited:

Starmei

You thought you could challenge me?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I would like to see Focus Sash as a potential item, it can put in work and it's a great option for some teams. I don't agree with the set posted by afro with SD PuP just standard Bisharp with a Focus Sash is incredible as it is and PuP doesn't really do anything great for bish

Reactions: AM

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Yeah Thunder Wave should still get a mention. The fact that you have Grass Knot as a legitimate OO but you yourself admit it's such a situational option should warrant the ability to cripple Keldeo and non ground switch ins to get a mention as well.

p2

Banned deucer.
Is Grass Knot Bisharp still a viable option? I've always seen it as a strange move choice, but considering Hippowdon has more usage in OU than it did before, it can't be too bad surely

I'm looking at something like this;
Bisharp @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 96 SpA / 160 Spe
Naive Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Grass Knot

96 Spa guarantees the 2HKO on 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Sdef Hippowdon, but is it really worth dropping Swords Dance for? It's a pretty difficult choice as Bisharp really wants the first 3 moves and Swords Dance.

Is Grass Knot Bisharp still a viable option? I've always seen it as a strange move choice, but considering Hippowdon has more usage in OU than it did before, it can't be too bad surely

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Grass Knot

96 Spa guarantees the 2HKO on 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Sdef Hippowdon, but is it really worth dropping Swords Dance for? It's a pretty difficult choice as Bisharp really wants the first 3 moves and Swords Dance.
I can only imagine Grass Knot being viable if your team is hella weak to Hippo, or something. lol
There are probably better options but I don't think it's by any means awful (considering Grass Knot was put in the "other options" section, it's probably still viable)

I'm a fan of the Assault Vest set. I think it is perhaps the absolute best way of getting rid of the Lati twins if you don't want Tyranitar or sand. The special bulk is truly underrated especially with your unique defensive typing, and Bisharp's power with STAB Knock Off alone is still incredibly fearsome. And honestly, I love having access to all four of his STAB moves at once. Sucker Punch and Pursuit together put the opponent in horrible 50/50 scenarios, all while still having reliable Knock Off and Iron Head for Fairies. It's a solid answer to Mega Diancie, and can handle any Mega Altaria other than DD Earthquake variants. Mega Gardevoir's Focus Blast is still too much to handle though, but it has to risk that 70% accuracy to kill you, because Hyper Voice won't.

I got wrecked by a Sub/Swords Dance set with Leftovers once. I couldn't burn it until the sub was down and I didn't have anything that could take a +2 beating like that. With my Keldeo gone it wiped 4/6 of my team.

Also yeah a Focus Sash set should run Speed, not HP.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I was expecting a waifu joke when I told you to mention me, but I guess this works too.

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Grass Knot

Grass Knot was mostly for Quagsire back in XY and it ran only 16 EVs iirc. I personally feel like 96 Special Attack is way too much just for Hippowdon (especially since Mixed Bulk and SpD sets exist) when you could run something else to deal with it or wear it down to the point where +2 Knock Off will finish it off.

Last edited:
I have a friend who plays a lot of LC, and he mentioned that choice scarf pawniard is really a force there. Would scarf bish be any good? It would allow you to outspeed non-scarf latios and avoid the 50/50s. Also, and this isn't as big, but trick scarf latios woulf be annoyed when it tries to cripple a wall or something, then it does nothing and still has a scarf.

I have a friend who plays a lot of LC, and he mentioned that choice scarf pawniard is really a force there. Would scarf bish be any good? It would allow you to outspeed non-scarf latios and avoid the 50/50s. Also, and this isn't as big, but trick scarf latios woulf be annoyed when it tries to cripple a wall or something, then it does nothing and still has a scarf.
lc has nothing to do with ou
trickscarf lati is relatively uncommon
honestly just use scarf t-tar if you wanna use a scarf pursuit trapper

good job on the thread nostalgia :toast:

Low kick jolly 4 attacks bisharp is really amazing. The ability to OHKO defensive heatran after rocks as well as outspeeding and doing heavy damage/OHKO to mega gyarados, tyranitar, mega altaria, and ferrothorn is quite invaluable. Life orb is almost always the item youll be wanting to run because of the lack of power compared to adamant. A jolly nature is important for outspeeding defensive heatran and mega altaria.

Last edited:
Scarf imo shouldn't be mentioned since Bisharp has access to priority. Locking yourself into Sucker Punch is asking for trouble, and Bisharp is much better off using it's unresisted coverage to batter things. I'm interested in the AV set, I heard about it but haven't seen a spread for it yet. Definitely going to try it out. Great job DarkNostalgia!

I thought about what you all said and decided to change the set to this:

Bisharp @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
- Low Kick

Does this work better?

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
I thought about what you all said and decided to change the set to this:

Bisharp @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
- Low Kick

Does this work better?
That would be the set but it would be Knock Off > Low Kick if using sash SD.

lc has nothing to do with ou
trickscarf lati is relatively uncommon
honestly just use scarf t-tar if you wanna use a scarf pursuit trapper
My point isn't that OU and little cup were the same, if I thought that I wouldve just run it with out asking if it were a possibility. And honestly I'd just be so far off, I shouldn't even be posting. Also, yeah, I get that it's not common- I wouldn't have said it was a relatively insignificant point otherwise. You seem to think I'm suggesting it- im not. I'm just curious.

AM

LCPL Champion
My point isn't that OU and little cup were the same, if I thought that I wouldve just run it with out asking if it were a possibility. And honestly I'd just be so far off, I shouldn't even be posting. Also, yeah, I get that it's not common- I wouldn't have said it was a relatively insignificant point otherwise. You seem to think I'm suggesting it- im not. I'm just curious.
Scarf Bisharp has seen some use in a handful of games for the sake of having revenge killing aspects. Wouldn't really go as far to say it's completely unviable cause it isn't. It's a pretty team specific asset though and somewhat hard to always justify using it but it's definitely there.

That would be the set but it would be Knock Off > Low Kick if using sash SD.
I understand that decision but won't low kick allow it to get through opposing bisharp and ferro, which would potentially cause a switch out.
With regards to the AV set, how about running 252 hp and attack with adamant nature and make it a bulky pursuit trapper. You could switch into a defog to get a boost in attack and then pursuit trap the defogger. Other moves would be sucker punch for priority, iron head, low kick/ knock off/ psycho cut.

I understand that decision but won't low kick allow it to get through opposing bisharp and ferro, which would potentially cause a switch out.
With regards to the AV set, how about running 252 hp and attack with adamant nature and make it a bulky pursuit trapper. You could switch into a defog to get a boost in attack and then pursuit trap the defogger. Other moves would be sucker punch for priority, iron head, low kick/ knock off/ psycho cut.
The ability to muscle past certain mons is nice, but not so nice as to validate foregoing the utility and power of knock off

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Bisharp: 199-235 (73.4 - 86.7%)
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 269-317 (76.4 - 90%)

Realistically you'd be setting up late in the match when these two'd be either removed or worn down to a point you'd KO them.

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Bisharp: 199-235 (73.4 - 86.7%)
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 269-317 (76.4 - 90%)

Realistically you'd be setting up late in the match when these two'd be either removed or worn down to a point you'd KO them.
Ah fair enough. Knock off it is. I am sorry to bother all of you but is it okay if you checked out an RMT of mine called AV Seperior bulky balance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)