1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Gen 1 BL Deleted

Discussion in 'Ruins of Alph' started by Hipmonlee, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Hipmonlee

Hipmonlee Have a rice day
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

Yeah, I got rid of it.

It worried me that our RBY UU tier seemed to be carrying authority it really had no right to.

This isnt a case of rewriting history, because that banlist doesnt really have any history. It was made after ADV had came out and it was hardly used. On top of that, it wasnt very good. It concerned me that people seemed to be deferring to it when they probably shouldnt.

So if you are going to play RBY UU, you will need to come up with your own bl list. My recommendation is to think pretty hard about Articuno, Jolteon, Hypno and Tentacruel. I'm not saying they should be one way or the other, but they are closest to the border in my opinion.

Unless you want a lower cut off, in which case, by all means do that.
  2. Umby

Umby I'm gonna bury you in the ground~
    is a Contributor Alumnus

So assuming enough testing was done and the players made their own BL list, would you adopt it for the site, or this a permanent change?
  3. 420

Good idea hip, I actually find that UU without anything banned (or as rby2k10 calls it the BL metagame) is actually pretty balanced in and of itself.

Also noticed you moved cloyster to OU, or was he always there?
  4. Yai-Inn

Yai-Inn

Cloyster and Dragonite moved up.
  5. Hipmonlee

Hipmonlee Have a rice day
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

Oh yeah, I did that too.

As for adopting an official uu list, I dont really see the need for it, but if there is significant demand for it sure..
  6. MikeDecIsHere

MikeDecIsHere And the haters gonna hate hate hate hate hate.
    is a Battle Server Moderatoris a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
    Mentor

there's no point really. No one (to my knowledge) plays RBY UU as it is, so making an official list seems trivial.
  7. Destiny Warrior

Destiny Warrior also known as Darkwing_Duck
    is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

I doubt we'll get a "significant" demand soon. What we *could* do to gauge the situation would be an RBY UU tournament. We could see how this works out with a test trial, though quite a few of the players will likely be later gen players with a "let's try it out" mentality I'm afraid...
  8. zarator

zarator Credits to Mos-Quitoxe for the cute sprite^^
    is a Community Contributoris a Contributor Alumnus

Which seems completely fine in my opinion. If there wasn't a constant flux of new players every so often any metagame (even BW OU) would die sooner or later.
  9. PK Gaming

PK Gaming Pursuing My True Self
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

This is actually really cool. Large BL tiers in general are really stupid, so props for removing it altogether. Has anyone thought about hosting an RBY UU tournament to test out the current metagame?
  10. t3h Icy

t3h Icy

These are without Wrapping moves, but could easily be changed around for Smogon to use.

Uber

Mew
    Mewtwo

OverUsed

Alakazam
    Articuno
    Chansey
    Exeggutor
    Gengar
    Golem
    Jolteon
    Jynx
    Lapras
    Persian
    Rhydon
    Slowbro
    Snorlax
    Starmie
    Tauros
    Zapdos

BorderLine

Clefable
    Cloyster
    Dodrio
    Dragonite
    Dugtrio
    Gyarados
    Haunter
    Hypno
    Kadabra
    Kangaskhan
    Moltres
    Mr. Mime
    Nidoking
    Nidoqueen
    Raichu
    Tentacruel
    Venusaur
    Victreebel

UnderUsed

Arcanine
    Blastoise
    Charizard
    Dewgong
    Electabuzz
    Golduck
    Graveler
    Kabutops
    Kingler
    Ninetales
    Pinsir
    Poliwhirl
    Poliwrath
    Porygon
    Raticate
    Sandslash
    Tangela
    Vaporeon
    Venomoth

NeverUsed

Aerodactyl
    Arbok
    Beedrill
    Butterfree
    Ditto
    Electrode
    Farfetch'd
    Fearow
    Flareon
    Golbat
    Hitmonchan
    Hitmonlee
    Lickitung
    Machamp
    Magmar
    Magneton
    Marowak
    Muk
    Omastar
    Onix
    Parasect
    Pidgeot
    Primeape
    Rapidash
    Scyther
    Seadra
    Seaking
    Vileplume
    Weezing
    Wigglytuff
    (All NFEs not previously listed)
  11. 133tSneasel

133tSneasel

I thought hitmonlee was UU. Because of Hi Jump Kick to kill Snorlax/Tauros/Chansey?
  12. t3h Icy

t3h Icy

The tiers are made so all tiers are playable on their own. Tiers based on OU viability is a bit silly. Sure Hitmonlee can (barely) KO Normals in OU, but that's not useful in BL or UU where different types of Pokemon are more commonly used, and Hitmonlee is definitely not OU.

With tiers based on OU viability, others would shoot up to BL too like Kingler, Aerodactyl, etc.

Edit: Also HJK on its own isn't the best way to beat the Normals. If you're interested, I can PM you an off-site guide on using Hitmonlee in OU.
  13. grrgrrgrr1000

grrgrrgrr1000

You should do the same for gen 2 and 3, since the BL tier is there pretty big too.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)