Black Hole Sun (Sun Team)

I've never really used a sun team before, so I'm going off of what I know and what I think will work here, so excuse me for any stupid shit I may say here.
LET'S STYLIZE IT UP IN HERE
The team at a glance

The team building process

Sun team, Ninetales is pretty obvious.
I wanted to try out Sunny Day Ninetales, just to at least have fun with the weather war's I'll be having. It feels pretty good when I Sunny Day when my opponent switches into a Politoed.

I wanted to have a sun team centralizing around two sweepers, one of them being Venusaur.
When I make teams like this, I usually have one boosting sweeper and one choiced. Venusaur is a pretty obvious booster, with the huge buff gen 5 gave Growth, as well as giving Venusaur Chlorophyll.

Second sweeper this team is based around. At this point, Victini was Scarfed, and had an Adamant nature.
I also wanted to try Victini with Trick, a new gift B/W gave it this gen. And of course, V-create in the sun hits like a flaming truck.

At this point, it was going okay, but I was gonna have to have some walls, and one who has Rapid Spin.
I had two choices: Forretress and Donphan. I like Donphan better, because of the sun weakening its weakness to water.

Yeah, I'm a dick and I use Chansey. Sue me.
I was in need of a special wall, and when I need one, I usually turn to Chansey. I also like the idea of passing Wishes to sweepers or Ninetales to keep them alive.

Now, Breloom probably seems odd for a sun team, and I agree with you. But, if you haven't noticed, I despise weather wars, and this was one of answers for them. That is to say, it destroys Tyranitar, Hippowdon and Politoed. Abomasnow isn't a problam with all the fire moves on this team, and if I'm fighting another sun team, then it doesn't have much of a purpose.

Chansey was the first thing to go, mainly because of my huge weakness to Tornadus-T, so I was recommended a specially defensive Rotom-W, which has actually been doing work.

The latest change was Breloom to scarfed Genesect. This was mainly to patch my big weaknesses to the Eon duo and most of the dragons. Along with this, Victini became Choice Banded with a Jolly nature.

I think I'll put edits in bold.
The team

Ninetales @ Leftovers
Trait: Drought
EVs: 136 HP / 252 SAtk / 120 Spd
Modest Nature
- Sunny Day
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Protect
No, really? A Ninetales on a sun team? NO WAY.
I hate whether wars, so this team has two ways of getting around those, and Sunny Day Ninetales is one of them. As long as I predict correctly, I can turn the whether war in my favor. Fire Blast and Solar Beam are obvious, and Protect is to scout predictions from things like Specs Politoed.

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Growth
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power (Fire)
Ever since the days of Red and Blue, I've always like Venusaur more than ever other starter. Thank god it's actually usable.
I chose Giga Drain over SolarBeam because I think some sort of recovery is really important on sweepers like this.

Donphan @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
I like Donphan more than Forretress in the sun, mainly because of the sun weakening of water moves, and the fact that Forretress is weak to fire already.
That being said, it basically has the same purpose, setting up Stealth Rock and spinning them away as well.

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 36 SAtk / 224 SDef
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Sunny Day
Thank you Asterat for suggesting this set, I really like what you suggested.
And thanks to everyone who pointed out my weakness to Tornadus-T, I guess that slipped my mind when I was making this team.
This is the main counter, as well as a normal special wall. It also functions as the only Will-O-Wisp user on my team, and also can set up sun if Ninetales goes down.

Victini @ Choice Band
Trait: Victory Star
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Fusion Bolt
- U-turn
- Trick
To quote E-lo, "Victini hits like a truck regardless, and in the sun it hits like a flaming truck". Victini goes along Venusaur, being Special and Physical sweepers respectively.
U-turn works for scouting, Fusion Bolt is obvious, and thank god for B2W2 giving Victini Trick. I love Tricking things like Jellicent and defensive Politoed.
Now, due to Breloom being replaced with Scarf Genesect, Victini doesn't really have much of a reason to be Scarfed too.
I'm gonna be looking forward to using CB Victini, and see how hard it hits in the sun.

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Download
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Bug Buzz
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
Thanks to both Asterat and Kollin for the suggestion of Genesect, now that I look at it, it's a lot better than Breloom.
Basically a counter to all the things this team has trouble with; weather inducers, dragons, Tornadus-T (kind of), etc.

So, I know that this team is probably horrible, but like I said, I've never really used a sun team before, so I'm absolutely open to suggestions. Thanks!​

Hey, nice to see soeo that likes Soundgarden too.

I find it xtrange that you're using Chanxey as Wish passer intead of Blissey. After all, Blissey has slightly better HP and leftovers recovery. Yourteam also looks weakto Tor-T, so you might like to replace HP[Fire] to HP[Ice] on Venusaur. That's about it I guess, the team sounds pretty good for a first atempt.

Hello and welcome!

I have some advice for your team. At first, use Will-O-Wisp in place of protect on your Ninetales for burn against weather setter, use Sludge Bomb on your Venusaur for have more offensive coverage and use sword dance on your Breloom in place of Low Sleep.

Good luck =]

Pretty good team 2 things:
Tornadus t wrekcs your team if it can hit ninetales. If it does it will inflict massive damage due to your offensive set. As your team also struggles with rain a little bit I would suggest a SpD rotom-w over your current chansey. It can wall lots of special attackers and provide a decently powerful pivot. A set consisting of volt switch, hydro pump, will o wisp, and sunny day or pain split. Sunny day may seem strange but it helps you keep your weather up. If ninetales goes down rotom can nullify annoying other weathers. You could use pain split but rotom rarely ends up using it anyways. Rotom also walls mamoswine who is a decent threat to your team.

Breloom also looks a bit out of place. Replacing it with an expert belt genesect will help you break walls and give you more oppurtunities to hit stuff hard with victini. Alternatively you could use scarf genesect and CB victini for even more power. Genesect will also form an annoying volt- turn combination with rotom-w and victini.

Sets:
Rotom- W @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
248 HP/36 SpA/ 224 SpD
Volt Switch/Hydro Pump/Sunny Day/ Will- o -Wisp.

Genesect @ expert belt
Naive Nature
4 Atk/252 SpA/252 Spd
U-turn/Ice Beam/Flamethrower/Thunderbolt

I like this team a lot, but I think there are some threats as mentioned before me. Tornadus of course is huge, and really any dragon. Genesect is a must for sun teams if you ask me. It is perfect for checking pretty much every threat for this team. U-turn/Buzz will take care of Latios/Latias. As well as U-Turn being a great move for just getting some STAB damage on anything. Ice Beam will take care of those dragons as long as you're out-speeding. Flamethrower of course for that nice utility move, also it's in the sun. Back to the out-speeding part. Yes, Genesect is naturally extremely fast, but to insure that you're out-speeding everything in the OU metagame. I'd suggest the Choice Scarf set. I wouldn't be against having both a Scarf'd Genesect and Victini. But, if that just doesn't bode well with you. Choice Band Victini is going to hit extremely hard, especially in the sun. Good luck!

Hello Pillow, nice team.

I think you should use Claydol > Donphan as you do not really have much to switch into Chocie Banded Terrakion, also, Claydol will help with Sheer Force Landorus. Other than that, nice team, good job. (y)

Claydol @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)