Black & White Battle Subway Records (now with gen. 4 records!)

atsync

Where the "intelligence" of TRAINERS is put to the test!
is a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogon
Scizor @ Steel Gem
Adamant|Technician
I forgot the exact EVS, but it had some HP, max Attack, and some Special Defense.
Swords Dance
Pursuit
Bug Bite
Bullet Punch
Is Pursuit really necessary? I mean, has it done anything worthwhile? In my experiences with Scizor, frail ghosts like Gengar and Froslass are easily sorted by Bullet Punch, and bulkier ghosts like Cofagrigus, Dusknoir and Spiritomb probably aren't going to care much about Pursuit anyway.

Maybe you could use Aerial Ace or Superpower or something? Superpower is nice because it have good coverage, though it's a 4th gen move tutor move which means getting a new Scizor. Aerial Ace is less useful, though it does cover fighting types (Gligar can probably handle many of the fighting types anyway).

Seems like a cool team though. Good luck!

Decided to sign up and post how im doing on the battle tower.

My best streak: 123

My team:

Gengar @ Focus Sash
Timid 6/0/0/252/0/252
Levitate
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast
-Thunderbolt
-Destiny Bond

Suicune @ Leftovers
Bold 252/0/252/0/6/0
Pressure
-Calm Mind
-Scald
-Ice Beam
-Rest

Garchomp @ Yache Berry
Jolly 6/252/0/0/0/252
Sand Veil
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Fire Fang
-Sword Dance

Proof: http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb259/xR2Bx/0613012058.jpg

Lost to a lead Thundurus that most have had a +speed nature and a 31 iv to outspeed by Gengar by 1 with its troll 111 speed. I went for the Destiny Bond just incase something gay were to happen, (as in the back of my mind I knew this thing would somehow outspeed) and of course gets a paralyze on the thunderbolt, I get parahaxed, essentially giving him the easy 2 hit KO. I Sent out Garchomp to revenge kill but he managed to get off a focus blast as outrage failed to KO, bringing Garchomp to red health. My second outrage does indeed kill. He proceeds to send out a latios which revenge kills garchomp with dragon pulse (switching would have been pointless). I send out suicune, praying for him to not have thunderbolt, didnt really care about grass not as suicune could brush those off pretty easy. My wish came true, but instead he had thunder for the OHKO. gg.

My next team will still be focused around suicune who saved me numerous times, but will now feature its newest member, Scrafty. The set will look something like this:

Scrafty @ Leftovers
Careful 252/0/6/0/252/0
Shed Skin
-Bulk Up
-Drain Punch
-Crunch
-Rest

This thing is very similair to the one talked of just earlier (I guess great minds think alike as ive been wanting to use that set since the idea sparked on Scraftys analysis back in September haha). Scrafty and Suicune will work very well together as one is trained in a +Defense nature with 252HP/252Defense, and the other with a +Special Defense nature and 252HP/252SpDefense, allowing either to come in easily depending on the type of attacker and begin boosting their own attack and opposite defense in the form of bulk up and calm mind. I will most likely give Suicune a Chesto Berry, opting for lefties on Scrafty as shed skin negates chesto. Will post on my success!

Good job on your streak! Yeah you kind of do need something faster than base 111 speed nowadays to deal with Thundurus.

Just a minor thing:
...I send out suicune, praying for him to not have thunderbolt, didnt really care about grass not as suicune could brush those off pretty easy. My wish came true, but instead he had thunder for the OHKO. gg.
None of the Latios in Subway have Grass Knot, and more importantly, even if one did, Grass Knot is 100 Base Power vs Suicune compared to Thunderbolt's 95 (not having factored in type effectiveness obviously), so it wouldn't make sense to be scared of Tbolt but not Grass Knot.

@Shinypoke,

Nice team and well done on your streak, but I would suggest that you put Substitute over Rest on Suicune and Scrafty, because with the amount of battles you'll be playing, you're bound to get critted eventually.

Good job on your streak! Yeah you kind of do need something faster than base 111 speed nowadays to deal with Thundurus.

Just a minor thing:

None of the Latios in Subway have Grass Knot, and more importantly, even if one did, Grass Knot is 100 Base Power vs Suicune compared to Thunderbolt's 95 (not having factored in type effectiveness obviously), so it wouldn't make sense to be scared of Tbolt but not Grass Knot.
wow i never realized suicune was so heavy lol, im actually pretty use to vaporeon who i know is much lighter and figured they about the same from their shape. I didnt even bother looking up latios because i knew it would have a SE move one way or another, but thankyou for the tip.

@Shinypoke,

Nice team and well done on your streak, but I would suggest that you put Substitute over Rest on Suicune and Scrafty, because with the amount of battles you'll be playing, you're bound to get critted eventually.
yeah i mean it definitly happens its just ice beam is the filler for water absorb pokes that always seem to pop up, usualy when suicune is my last guy, and rest always seems help the frequent statuses such as poison that really shuts suicune down. Really the strategy is to get off as many boosts as possible to the point where crits hurt much less, but im definitly gonna try it out. Thanks a lot guys!

yeah i mean it definitly happens its just ice beam is the filler for water absorb pokes that always seem to pop up, usualy when suicune is my last guy. Really the strategy is to get off as many boosts as possible to the point where crits hurt much less, but im definitly gonna try it out. Thanks a lot guys!
Critical hits bypass offensive drops and defensive boosts

Jumpman16

np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Live Chat Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
for suicune i would suggest putting sub over icy wind if anything, foregoing rest on cm cune is kind of not an option unless you plan on relying on protect hax just to pressure stall

scrafty needs/wants it less because of the lol coverage that ice punch and stab dark/fighting grant it plus shed skin being made for a relatively bulky tank with rather reliable recovery in drain punch. that said, carl and i have tried scrafty in the subway and we're both sad to say it's underwhelming. we tried 252atk/252spe jolly which is nice cause it outspeeds the 110+ base speed crew (and thund/torn) with sitrus berry, but it just doesnt have the time to grab the requisite DDs to pack a punch before it has to start attacking. maybe a 252 SpD set would work better

Doubles Battle Tower Streak: 248

Snorlax Sitrus Berry
Thick Fat
Relaxed (+D –S)
EVs: 252 HP - 4 A - 252 D
- Protect
- Belly Drum
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

Bronzong @Occa Berry
Levitate
Sassy (+SD -S)
EVs: 252 HP - 156 D - 100 SD
- Trick Room
- Psych Up
- Rock Slide
- Gyro Ball

Metagross Focus sash
Clear Body
Brave (+A -S)
EVs: 156 HP - 252 A - 100 SD
- Psych Up
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Bullet Punch

Togekiss @Macho Brace
Serene Grace
Quiet (+SA -S )
EVs: 100 HP - 156 D - 252 SA
- Air Slash
- Aura Sphere
- Flamethrower
- Grass Knot

That’s right, it’s a Trick Room, Belly Drum, Psych Up team.

I liked the idea of using Psych Up in the doubles tower. It’s a bit like a more-effective baton pass, and a really interesting set of pokes can learn it. It can also be really effective against Curse or Calm Mind opponents.

At first I was working with a special set, using a Volcarona to get a quiver dance and maybe a fiery dance boost and then passing that onto Suicune and Latios. The problem was that Rock Slide is so effective in doubles and Volcarona would often get taken out too early.
So I switched to a physical team and it turned out much better.

The idea is that Snorlax protects on turn 1 (unless there is no threat) while Bronzong sets up the trick room. Then Snorlax will Drum and Bronzong can Psych up on the same turn, before anything can sneak in and try to KO Snorlax.
With Trick Room and Belly Drum these guys have ultimate defence, speed and attack, to the point that they casually stroll through pretty much anyone.

If Snorlax gets taken out, Metagross jumps in and can Psych Up on Bronzong, which takes its attack to ludicrous levels.

It’s strange that of the 8 attacking moveslots on these guys there are only 3 types of attacks, but they do the job well, and the multi-targeting really eats up Sashes and Sturdy.

Then when you really need it there’s Togekiss. I never thought I’d be using a Macho Brace in the Subway, but after trying out a few different options, such as Telepathy Musharna, Togekiss won out due to its awesome movepool. With the Brace, Togekiss’s speed is just lower than Bronzong’s, making it pretty fast under Trick Room.

Grass Knot is for bulky, cursing Grounds and Waters (And especially Ground/Waters)
Airslash is for bulky fighting types that can cause the team some headaches. Especially when the bastards Bulk-up.
Aurasphere is perfect for cursing Umbreons as well as good insurance against Double Team hax.
Flamethrower is essential for Ferrothorn and Escavalier, as well as a bunch of other stuff.

Originally I was going to breed a Togekiss in HGSS to get Heat Wave, but I think Flamethrower might actually be better in the subway. I only need it occasionally, but it’s always critical that it hits, and the old rule of the Subway/Tower is that if something can go wrong, it will. A previous streak was ended when Airslash missed a Leftovers Scrafty 3 times in a row.

So basically, if the setup goes fine then there’s very little that can go wrong, but if the setup is badly disrupted, things can get messy.
Fortunately Bronzong with levitate and Occa Berry is such a defensive beast that through all the streaks he’s only been taken out on turn 1 a couple of times. On one memorable occasion he survived a Heracross Megahorn and an Infernape Life Orb Close Combat with 2 hp.
Much more likely is that he’ll be fully paralysed, confused, encored or taunted.
Taunt is probably the biggest threat to the team, fortunately the AI is not all that good at using it, and even if it does, Lax and Zong are so defensive that the opponent will need a fair bit of attacking power to cause any trouble.
One time Snorlax was frozen for 12 turns before defrosting with enough HP left to Belly Drum.

The other big threat is that fat jerk Conkeldurr.
If I face him turn 1 I have to protect with Snorlax, and in a lot of cases he’ll bulk-up which makes things pretty complicated. I could try switching in Togekiss on turn 1, but messing with the setup never goes well, and Conkeldurr can still get Togekiss into KO range by flinging its Iron Ball.

My streak was ended by a Shuckle. All it had to do was use encore really effectively so I couldn’t get the Drum off. If I don’t use Trick Room then Bronzong can’t Psych Up on the same turn as Snorlax Drums, and if I do then Shuckle is faster and can encore.
Normally I would be keen to Belly Drum on the first turn before Shuckle can do anything about it, but the other opponent was a Superpower Tyranitar which can KO Snorlax after the drum.
So the Shuckle proceeded to Gastro Acid away Zong’s Levitate twice, and also used power trick on Metagross while Tyranitar took out Snorlax and then Togekiss.
It actually came pretty close in the end, and if it wasn’t for Metagross’s weakened attack he could’ve quaked his way to victory.

I must say I had a fair bit of good luck in this streak, at least compared to all the others that only ever made it to about 90. And I’m glad it ended to some smart play by the AI rather than a bunch of crits or other hax.

It’s odd how this team is all 4th gen, and I wonder how it’d go in the tower. No Conkleldurr, but more 1HKO users, plus the tower is so much slower than the subway.

I’ve also been trying a Guard Split Shuckle with a Calm Mind Blissey. By using Bronzong’s reliable Trick Room services on the first turn, he can switch out to Blissey to who catches Shuckle’s Guard Split before anyone can do anything about it. Blissey can then use Calm Mind 6 times before Suicune jumps in with Psych up.
Although really slow, this is fairly reliable except for Roar and Whirlwind which wreak absolute havoc with the tactics.

So anyway, let me know if you have any ideas for improvements or any comments about the team/s.

@Ashenlock, I haven't heard of molf party but google tells me it was used in a championship, do you know what pokemon were in it or, or have a link? That would be really interesting.

@bluemon, gastro acid does work on steels. It was surprising that the AI knew to get rid of levitate, but as they seem to use it on Snorlax just as much in other situations I guess it just got lucky.

Edit: I found a video of the molf team. It was uploaded by TRE, which is cool considering he was the king of the Lv1 TR team back in the doubles tower.
I guess it's good that the subway takes the levels up so some of the old tactics don't work and we have to find new ones. Keeps things interesting.

Cradily and I managed a 76 win streak on the Super Multi Subway Line.

Prudence the Marowak (F) @Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
IVs: 31/31/31/x/31/31
Level 50 Stats: 136 145 130 57 100 97
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance
- Protect

Marowak is the powerhouse of the team – if she manages to grab a Swords Dance boost, it’s pretty much game over for the opponent. Protect saves Marowak from threatening super-effective attacks on turn one while Whimsicott Tailwinds, allowing her to outspeed almost all non-scarfers the following turn. Even when Marowak is unable to Swords Dance, a Helping Hand from Whimsicott still allows her to lay down the hurt. Earthquake and Rock Slide provide nice ‘edgequake’ coverage and smack both foes hard. Under Tailwind Marowak hits 194 speed, leaving her outsped only by Accelegor, Jolteon, Crobat, Aerodactyl, Electrode and scarfers. Lightning Rod is a nice bonus, absorbing Thunder Waves for Whimsicott and Hydreigon.

Butch the Machamp (M) @Life Orb
Ability: No Guard
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 48 HP / 252 Atk / 208 Spe
IVs: 31/31/31/x/31/31
Level 50 Stats: 171 200 100 72 105 101
- DynamicPunch
- Rock Slide
- Ice Punch
- Bullet Punch

Machamp is a solid backup for Marowak, cleaning up anything left behind. Move choices are pretty self-explanatory. Rock Slide was chosen over Stone Edge to allow him to smack both opponents if necessary and its middling power is remedied with a Helping Hand from Whimsicott. Priority in Bullet Punch proves useful to finish off faster weakened foes if Tailwind peeters out or Trick Room is in effect. Max attack is of course a must, while 208 speed EVs put Machamp at 101 speed, allowing him to outrun scarf Skarmory and everything slower under Tailwind. The remaining EVs are dumped into HP for some added bulk.

Picture for proof:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/66252366@N06/6031441128/