Black & White Battle Subway Records (now with gen. 4 records!)

atsync

Where the "intelligence" of TRAINERS is put to the test!
is a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogon
Man I wish I had more time to play subway lately. Skyward Sword (and real life) is taking up too much of my time. I do have a doubles team in the works that I'll get around to trying eventually. It's pretty gimmicky though (it quite stallish and it involves Prankster Murkrow) so it may never get posted unless it actually gets far...

Just like to say that I just broke the 70 match super single winstreak.What do i need to post to get put on the list?
You will need to post proof of some sort, particularly if your streak is really high. This can be a image showing the record being displayed in the Vs. Recorder, or it can be a battle video of the last battle.

You also need to post your team, including the pokemon you used as well as all the important information about them (natures, IVs and EVS, ability, actual lv. 50 stats, moves, items, blah, blah, blah). Perhaps also explain your strategy too. Basically the more info you give the more people will believe your streak.

I gave whims Grass Knot as I was finding all I really did was Flash spam and than switch out, so if I could take em out with an attack...why not?
Keep in mind that even if you CAN kill with Whimsicott, you shouldn't actually do it unless it is unsafe to try use Flash to support either of your team members. I know from experience with my lead Memento Zoroark that killing the opponent just because you can is not always a good idea because the opponent might send out something that you can't cripple effectively, making the battle harder than it could have been.

Basically, your priority should be to cripple for a team member (mainly Volcarona since it's the only set up sweeper on your team) and only try to attack if you literally don't have an option. You may already know this though.

Which is not to say that Grass Knot is a bad idea, since it is good if it ends up being the last pokemon alive on your team (even if Whimsicott is so weak at offense). I guess it can be used as a safeguard against Taunt, but you should ideally use Taunt against opposnig Taunts to prevent it anyway (this might be hard if you can't remember which pokemon could have Taunt though).

Ya, I don't have access to the list of pokes used in the subway because our internet blocks it on our govt computers. lol. But I am thinking about switching Grass Knot out for Worry Seed. I haven't encountered too many guys with Clear Body or Keen Eye...but its more of the just incase factor.

Although Pory has been an absolute beast...I find I'm getting statused a lot, and thinking maybe switching him out for a Healing Bell/Wish support poke like Blissey or something.

I've been using jumpman's team , and I must say it works wonders for me!
I've only picked cresselia (I have a thing for her sheer bulkiness <3 )over mesprit , (and reflect over charm obviously :p), and I have 43 wins so far!
My highest ever! xD

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Taking a break from VGC stuff, I decided to play some Single Subway. Which I haven't done in quite a while. Might as well make my 100th post something meaningful while I'm at it.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
Nature: Relaxed (+Def, -Spd)
IVs: 31/31/31/xx/28/16
EVs: 252 HP, 4 Atk, 4 Def, 248 SpDef
-Curse
-Leech Seed
-Substitute
-Gyro Ball

Main offense. Probably doesn't need any introductions on what it does.

Chandelure @ Focus Sash
Ability: Flash Fire
Nature: Timid (+Spd, -Atk)
IVs: 30/xx/31/31/31/30
EVs: 4Def, 252 SpAtk, 4 SpDef, 248 Spd
-Flamethrower
-Shadow Ball
-Energy Ball
-Calm Mind

A safe switch option from Ferrothorn, as it is immune to Fire and Fighting. Energy Ball wasn't really used too much I think.

Togekiss @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
Nature: Modest (+Sp.A, -Atk)
IVs: 30/24/20/30/24/31
EVs: 6HP, 252 SpAtk, 252 Spd
-Air Slash
-Heat Wave
-Aura Sphere
-Trick

Trick Support/Scarfed Offense. Being immune to Ghost and Ground makes it pretty easy to switch from Chandelure to Togekiss after it takes a Fire/Fighting attack. Trick is usually used after getting Togekiss onto the field, but the offense options have proven useful every now and then.

This team is a modified version of my previous Ferrothorn team. Since Ferrothorn was the main offense force in the team, and is largely self-sufficient in getting set up I felt that there was no reason why it couldn't be used as a lead.

In cases where the opponent leads with something that can threaten Ferrothorn, it isn't too difficult to get Togekiss out and Trick the Choice Scarf onto them to ease set-up. In many cases, a switch to Chandelure followed by a switch to Togekiss can get Togekiss into the battle while taking little to no damage from the opponent.

Opponents locked into a damaging fire move can be set up on by Chandelure. The AI doesn't seem to consider Flash Fire immunity as something to switch out from. This allows me to set up Chandelure to +6 SpAtk/SpDef while still having a Focus Sash intact, easily allowing me to take out the current Pokemon and at least one other.

Things don't always go smoothly though. The team has no switch options against power Flying type moves, making Pokemon like Braviary, Moltres, Staraptor, and Tornadus a bit of an issue. In addition, the team has a bit of an issue dealing with faster Ice Types like Weavile and Froslass, as the risk of freeze is very annoying, and they have moves effective on all three of mine.

Legendary Trainers and Hail Teams tend to be hassles to defeat. It gets tricky to try to create an opportunity to set up against Legendary Trainers due to the large variety of movesets they can run. Hail Teams are pretty much impossible to try to set up against due to hard hitting Ice attacks. But they can be defeated by attacking them straight up as Gyro Ball can hit many of them hard, and can even OHKO at +1 Atk.

The team ended up losing at 206 wins. The opponent lead with Escavalier 4, which I wanted to take out by switching to Chandelure, but it kept trying to use Swagger against Ferrothorn. Fed up with Swagger, I decided to try to get Togekiss in and Trick the Scarf onto it, but she gets KO'd by a CH Iron Head. I finish off the Escavalier, and the opponent sends out Typhlosion. It defeats my Chandelure by flinching with Extrasensory, guaranteeing my loss.

Battle Subway Super Single Battle
R Inanimate (206) - Ferrothorn, Chandelure, Togekiss

http://members.shaw.ca/teamrocketelite/InanBattleSubway2s.JPG

No battle videos for the run, there was one battle where my Ferrothorn was frozen solid, and KOs one of the opponent's Pokemon by letting them impale themselves on Iron Barbs repeatedly. I'll see if I can try to extend the streak past 330 someday.

ZoroDark

esse quam videri
is a Tiering Contributor
Battle Subway Record

I made a streak of 73 the other time. The star of this team is obviously TRE's Ferrothorn (with a little change of mine). So here's the team.

Cloyster @ Focus Sash
Ability: Skill Link
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spd
Moves:
-Shell Smash
-Icicle Spear
-Razor Shell
-Rock Blast

This guy sweeps entire teams, once set-up. He beats the Legendary trainers, except if they have Cobalion (he has to be the biggest thread to my team).
He has problems with priority moves and moves who can status you at the time (like Thunderbolt). This happens a lot actually.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Nature: Brave
EVs:252 Def, 252 SpD
Moves:
-Gyro Ball
-Leech Seed
-Curse
-Power Whip

I should rebreed this one: he has like shit IVs, I think he has like 148 HP.
Even without good IVs (and EVs), this guy walls just about everything. I have considered to use Substitute, but I haven't changed that (yet).

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Illuminate (don't laugh, she had perfect Spd and SpA IVs and I was tired of breeding)
Nature: Timid
EVs 252 SpA, 252 Spd
Moves:
-Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam
-Surf
-Psychic

She handles the Fire- and Fighting-types, which my team has troubles with. I don't like her too much, but I couldn't invent someone better in her spot.

How I lost:
CPU sends out Conkeldurr
1 I switch out to Starmie, Superpower does more than half
2 Starmie uses Psychic, LO damage, Conkledurr survives (!!) with red health
Fling for the kill
3 Cloyster Icicle Spear, Conkledurr death
4 CPU sends out Ninetales, I Shell Smash, Ninetales Energy Ball, Sash activated
5 Razor Shell, Passho Berry weakened the damage, doesn't kill, Flamethrower for the kill.
6 Ferrothorn 0HKO by Flamethrower

Yeah, guess it's back to doubles then. I'm gonna use Starmie+Toxicroak and see how it works.

OK, so up to 70 streak in Super Multi Subway with my gf Sally using this team:
EDIT: Currently 77 now.
Me:
1. Reuniclus / Magic Guard / Modest @ Life Orb
- Trick Room / Protect / Psychic / Shadow Ball

2. Conkeldurr / Guts / Adamant @ Flame Orb
- Drain Punch / Detect / Mach Punch / Rockslide

Sally:
1. Togekiss / Serene Grace / Quiet @ Lum Berry
- Follow Me / Protect / Air Slash / Aura Sphere

2. Azumarill / Huge Power / Brave @ Splash Plate
- Waterfall / Aqua Jet / Brick Break / Protect

Comments:
- This was the same streak as the team I mentioned earlier with Reuniclus / Scizor / Togekiss / Azumarill. I just swapped Scizor for Conkeldurr after 49 streak, and it definitely seems better. I don't recall any extremely close calls just yet. I haven't had really bad hax yet either.
- Well, what can I say, my gf likes cute pokemon, so gotta breed competitively cute pokemon for her to use, and Togepi/kiss just happened to be her favorite. Azumarill is awesome. I, on the other hand, use ugly pokemon like Conkeldurr.
- Cresselia is probably the most annoying pokemon at the moment. I guess that should be counted as a "close call"... if it was the Rest or Moonlight Cresselia that our team faced, we had no hope of winning (since my Reuniclus fainted already when Cresselia came out, for one battle). The Calm Mind Rest Cresselia would have been hard to beat even if Reuniclus did not faint anyway.

Well, at least we made it far enough to get to rankings haha, so we'll probably not change this team and just see how far it gets.

Reuniclus very rarely uses Protect though so I will see if something else might be more suitable. I know Focus Blast would give great coverage, but obviously hate the inaccuracy. Energy Ball is the only other special attack it gets other than Hidden Power / Grass Knot / Thunder. I don't recall what Hidden Power this one has - though my best guess would be that it's either Dark or Dragon from 31 / x / 31 / 31 / 31 / 31 IVs ... Psychic > HP Dragon and Shadow Ball > HP Dark, so yah, forget that). Toxic for stallish things might be good too, though Calm Mind Rest is still a problem.

Omg
893 | Blissey | Bold | Chople Berry | Toxic | Minimize | Mud Bomb | Softboiled | Def/SpD
just made a 4:1 into a 0:1, never had so much hax bevor :D

@Beastmode: Yeah, what Mr. XYZ. That was exactly how I got Conk with Detect and Mach Punch and Drain Punch, since Hitmonchan can learn all 3 in Gen IV. Originally it was bred for VGC. That's why it had Detect instead of Protect.

Ah. Damn my not having access to gen IV. lol

@R Inanimate:

That ferro/chandy combo is incredibly effective! I'm going to experiment with it myself, but instead of using Togekiss, I'm going to try something like Swampert/Gastrodon/Quigsire. Just to get the water/electricity resistance in there.

@R Inanimate:
I've also considered using the Ferrothorn Chandelure combo. Don't know if you realized this during your streak but if your opponent starts with a fire type and you switch out to Chandelure on a fire type move, the opponent will not use another fire type move again until they have run out off PP for all other moves. So by doing this you can set Ferrothorn up on Fire types aswell.

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
@R Inanimate:
I've also considered using the Ferrothorn Chandelure combo. Don't know if you realized this during your streak but if your opponent starts with a fire type and you switch out to Chandelure on a fire type move, the opponent will not use another fire type move again until they have run out off PP for all other moves. So by doing this you can set Ferrothorn up on Fire types aswell.
Interesting to know. And when I think about it, it sounds about right too. I was kind of wondering why Typhlosion 4 would try Extrasensory against Togekiss when it had Lava Plume, which was much stronger. I never tried to send Ferrothorn back out against Fire types since since I didn't want to put Ferrothorn up to that kind of risk, so I never really noticed.

I thought these might be helpful for people, maybe they can be added to the OP. I C+P'd the list, and left only the Super Single/Double/Multi Pokemon in Alphabetical order. I originally posted it on Sppf, and I figured I'd pass it along.

All credit is due for TRE, I take absolutely no credit for compiling this information, just credit for alphabetizing it.

This is Abomasnow -> Lucario, and this is Ludicolo -> Zoroark

Again, all credit is due to Team Rocket Elite for compiling this information.

I've been playing around with a Chansey team, and have made it to 105 wins, but never mind, because the Chansey I got in trade had an illegal move.

Here's the team:

Chansey @ Eviolite
Trait: Natural Cure
Nature: Bold (+Def, -Atk)
EVs: 252HP, 252Def, 4SpD
-Flash
-Softboiled
-Charm -- ILLEGAL
-Seismic Toss

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
Nature: Sassy (+SpD, -Spe)
EVs: 252SpD, 252HD, 4Def
-Leech Seed
-Substitute
-Curse
-Gyro Ball

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Trait: Multiscale
Nature: Impish (+Def, -SpA)
EVs: 252HP, 156SpD, 100Def
-Dragon Claw
-Dragon Dance
-Substitute
-Roost

Basic strategy is reliance on Chansey to Flash and Charm the pants off the first opponent. Then, depending on which has higher defenses against it, either TRE's Ferrothorn or Dragonite switch in and set up fully with max attack and substitute using Curse or Dragon Dance. After either of them are able to set up, they sweep the rest of the pokes easily.

Biggest threat for this team is pokes with both fighting and ice attacks, like Machamp 2 or Medicham 3. The fighting hurts both Chansey and Ferrothorn, and the ice hurts Dragonite. Even if Chansey can only get off one charm, usually this is enough to allow one of the others to set up and fight it back.

Another threat is belly drummers, like Hariyama 4, with Belly Drum, Ice Punch, and Brick Break. I work around this by using Seismic Toss to damage, and then Dragonite can usually get in fast enough to kill it before it gets an attack.

Taunters and Clear Body pokes like Registeel, etc. are a pain, since they prevent Chansey from debuffing them. Depending on what attacks they have, Chansey may kill outright with Seismic Toss, or pass on to Dragonite or Ferrothorn.

I'm playing with a Double Battle team now, so I'm taking a break from Super Single. By the way, I built on SlipperJeans' awesome spreadsheet to make a special tab to estimate damage for the Battle Subway. More details here.

@Splarticus:

After seeing RI's Ferro/Chandy combo, I bred a sassy ferro and wanted to try him on the team I've been using recently. It's the same basic concept, except I'm using Whims and Volcorana.

Whimsiscott has Taunt, which helps immensely against other Taunter's. If I could get a breedable Memento whims I would rock that out, cuz Prankster is OP in Battle Subway....well in pokemon in general. haha. I flash abuse than switch to Volc or Ferro depending on what the first poke is. The only one I've encountered so far that scares my team a little is Poliwrath, as he has water and fighting moves that demolish my 2 setups, especially if he gets Bulk Up in, and I forget to Taunt >.> lol

Volc does an insane job with Quiver Dance, although I want to rebreed him for Morning Sun and change Whims Grass Knot to Sunny Day. I'm still working on the item for him. I've tried Bug Gem, which worked great, but was mostly redundant, as whatever I'd use Bug Buzz against was either weak to bug attacks or I had enough QDs that anything would get OHKOed by it. I gave him Leftovers, and it worked great, as Volc's bulk really let him use it to great extent, after a few QD's he is nearly impossible to get in the red. But since you can't have 2 pokes using the same item (Ferro benefits much more from Leftovers), I'm trying out Shell Bell right now, and its good, but I try to make sure that Leech Seed is on the poke from Whims before I bring him in.

Sitrus Berry might be a good alternative to Leftovers/Shell Bell, and might be the better way to go than Shell Bell, especially if your Volcarona is defensively EV'd (to have lots of HP, since that means less % of health is recovered from Shell Bell even over 2 or 3 turns of attack unless you're fighting a Blissey/Slaking/Snorlax... something with high HP, compared to Sitrus which is a fixed 25%).

I haven't really played any pokemon since last time I posted (5 days ago apparently). Just taking a break I guess. I'll get back to it.

I've been playing around with a Chansey team, and have made it to 105 wins.

Picture proof

Here's the team:

Chansey @ Eviolite
Trait: Natural Cure
Nature: Bold (+Def, -Atk)
EVs: 252HP, 252Def, 4SpD
-Flash
-Softboiled
-Charm
-Seismic Toss

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
Nature: Sassy (+SpD, -Spe)
EVs: 252SpD, 252HD, 4Def
-Leech Seed
-Substitute
-Curse
-Gyro Ball

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Trait: Multiscale
Nature: Impish (+Def, -SpA)
EVs: 252HP, 156SpD, 100Def
-Dragon Claw
-Dragon Dance
-Substitute
-Roost

Basic strategy is reliance on Chansey to Flash and Charm the pants off the first opponent. Then, depending on which has higher defenses against it, either TRE's Ferrothorn or Dragonite switch in and set up fully with max attack and substitute using Curse or Dragon Dance. After either of them are able to set up, they sweep the rest of the pokes easily.

Biggest threat for this team is pokes with both fighting and ice attacks, like Machamp 2 or Medicham 3. The fighting hurts both Chansey and Ferrothorn, and the ice hurts Dragonite. Even if Chansey can only get off one charm, usually this is enough to allow one of the others to set up and fight it back.

Another threat is belly drummers, like Hariyama 4, with Belly Drum, Ice Punch, and Brick Break. I work around this by using Seismic Toss to damage, and then Dragonite can usually get in fast enough to kill it before it gets an attack.

Taunters and Clear Body pokes like Registeel, etc. are a pain, since they prevent Chansey from debuffing them. Depending on what attacks they have, Chansey may kill outright with Seismic Toss, or pass on to Dragonite or Ferrothorn.

I'm playing with a Double Battle team now, so I'm taking a break from Super Single. By the way, I built on SlipperJeans' awesome spreadsheet to make a special tab to estimate damage for the Battle Subway. More details here.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but Seismic Toss is illegal with Charm. (3rd Gen Tutor vs Happiny exclusive)

On the contrary, I would like to use something similar to that set with Latias. Maybe something like Charm, Flash, Dragon Pulse, and Recover.

EDIT: thanks for the info Nickscor. Good thing I have a TR team I was gonna use in VGC (and yes, it is completely legitimate) and a bunch of other pokes from before I started hacking.

Going to attempt a streak in Super Doubles with:

Reuniclus @ Life Orb (Rankuruusu)
Ablity: Magic Gaurd
Relaxed nature
Legitimacy test/ IV's
252 HP/ 252 Sp. Atk/ 4 Def
-Psychic
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast
-Trick Room

Conkeldurr @ Flame Orb (Roopushin)
Ability: Guts
Adamant nature
Legitimacy test/ IV's
252 HP/ 252 Atk/ 4 Sp. Def
-Drain Punch
-Mach Punch
-Payback
-Stone Edge

Chandelure @ Macho Brace (Shanderra)
Ability: Flame Body
Quiet nature
Legitimacy Test/ IV's
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Sp Atk/ 4 Def
-Shadow Ball
-Psychic
-Heat Wave
-Trick Room

Ferrothorn @ Choice Band (Nattorei)
Brave nature
Legitimacy Test/ IV's
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Atk/ 4 Def
-Gyro Ball
-Power Whip
-Return
-Explosion

Reuniclus and Conkeldurr lead, Chandy and Ferro come to clean up. More detailed strategy as I think it up.
Currently on battle: 7

some fun stories:
-A Dragonite with Rock Slide/ Thunder Wave kept me from attacking for about 5 turns... in a row.
-"My Pokémon are like uncooked dough, they're very sticky!" <--- Must I explain this?

I'm new to the competitive side of the Battle Subway, and was wondering on the definition of "cheating your way through" (yea, noob question, I know)

If you use legal hacks (perfect IV's, but with legal movepools and EV's), does it count as cheating or just another way to go through?
Legal hacks still count as cheating, it's actually stated in the OP. 5th Gen RNG Abuse is really easy and high streaks are still attainable if you have decent Mons to work with. (Look at R Inanimate's teams if you doubt this)

@Nickscor

Thanks for the catch. I got that Chansey in trade, and thought it would be good for the team. I guess I need to breed all of the pokes for Battle Subway myself to be sure they're legit.

Mud-slap could be used as a replacement for Seismic Toss to help push through Taunters, although it wouldn't be as effective for straight up damage.

Legal hacks still count as cheating, it's actually stated in the OP.
Where? I don't see any statement that perfect IVs = cheating.
IMO it's not a matter of 10 more IVs in Defense on your Garchomp, it's rather that there's no way to get some Pokes without lurking on trading threads for days, you can't request Pokemon which you haven't seen on GTS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)