Blast From The Past Returns! (OU Mono-Gen Sun)

~Blast from the Past~
RMT No.3
--------

This is the team that I am building for fun--being the final product of my first-ever team. I made it when I first started playing; a no-Legend First Generation team. I featured the old version in a RMT quite a while ago. My goal was to create a totally viable OU team within these boundaries and it has been a challenge to remain viable--especially apart from the obvious OU choices. However, I think this team is nearly, if not able, to be called effective. The point of this team was to create a group in which defensive pivots would enable the easy maneuvering between the various powerhouses who would eventually find the right moment to tear the opponent apart. That being said, it is not the most solid team I have made, but it does very well for itself despite the limitations as it made its peak at 1800 and was stopped dead by Scizor. That was before I added Gyarados to the mix and after that it has soared to 2000 points.

The Team:

Complete Team-Building Process:

___________________________Featured in the old RMT___________________________

Two of my very favorite Pokemon in the first Gen, it was actually Alakazam being in OU that prompted me to make this team.

While perusing OU I added the quintessential Venusaur to my developing Sun team. Also, I add Gengar because I have always had good luck with pairing Alakazam and Gengar in the past. As you can see, I could not resist the shiny button.

Next I added Gyarados because I realized I did not have any water-types.

I then added a Dugtrio to trap Gyarados counters.

Now that my team was completely made, I began to test and noticed my team's general weakness to hazards and the many Dragons in OU, so I added a Spinner/Phazer, Blastoise over Gyarados.

Even with the addition of Blastoise I realized my team was still sub-par to Dragons, so I replaced my Gengar with Dragonite to deal with the issue before it became too problematic.
___________________________Featured in the old RMT___________________________

Remembering some advice from the original RMT, I removed my original Dragon defense and added in the Chansbro core to do the job better, and in general cover the team's weaknesses.

Seeing Gengar's synergy with the newly added Chansbro core I threw him back in the mix over Alakazam for his immunities. I found these gave me lots of room to pivot and maneuver.

Dugtrio was looking kind of useless at this point, especially without a Spinner. Needing a new Stone Setter I added Nidoqueen for her obvious use in Sun.

Encountering my devastating weakness to Scizor I added Gyarados once again to deal with the threat that Nidoqueen could do little to prevent.

________________________________________________________________________________________​

In-Depth:

Shiro the Ninetales ♀

Trait: Drought
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Nature: Modest

Moves:
-Sunny Day
-Solarbeam
-Fire Blast
-Roar

Ninetales is one of my aces. I save her for the very endgame since my team has no Spinner, her sole purpose is to set Sun to prep for a Venusaur sweep once the weather war has been won and Venusaur can rampage unchecked. I run Modest over Timid because that is the set I have used since day one and I have found the extra power to be devastating to those who expect the Timid varient. Just as important, Ninetales is one of my two checks to the greatest threat to the team: Scizor whose STAB Bullet Punch was the reason this team folded their winning streak. But unless something crazy is going down I keep Ninetales away from the fight until late game.

LaFleur the Venusaur ♂

Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 72 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
Nature: Modest
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe

Moves:
-Giga Drain
-Hidden Power [Fire]
-Sleep Powder
-Growth

Venusaur is my team's much needed muscle, able to tear through teams with utter impunity. I run Hidden Power Fire to deal with any pesky Ferrothorn, Magnezone, or any other steel that thinks they can wall a sweep. It is also a great to have to hit Scizor on the switch. Sleep Powder enables me usually at least one turn to set up and begin tearing holes through the opponent's team. It is pretty standard all things considered.

Rados the Gyarados ♂

Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 88 HP / 248 Atk / 4 Def / 168 Spe
Nature: Jolly

Moves:
-Substitute
-Dragon Dance
-Earthquake
-Bounce

Gyarados is the newest addition to this ragtag group. It was used earlier in the teambuilding process but recently I realized I needed it back. It has one huge purpose and that is to check Scizor. That being said, it is also my lead. Its whole purpose is to get behind a Sub as soon as it can, preferably when the opponent is using Stealth Rock or some status. From there it sets up an early-game sweep. Initially I ran the EdgeQuake combo, but I found the Edge part too unreliable and decided to go with Bounce for the STAB and chance of Paralysis. In short, Rados is my attempt to capitalize on my vulnerability to Stealth Rock and take advantage of those who set hazards up early.

Lucy the Chansey ♀

Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Nature: Bold

Moves:
-Seismic Toss
-Wish
-Stealth Rock
-Protect

Say hello to one of the most evil Pokemon ever, all the while it is so epic, it is also one of the most adorable ones. I have had more people rage over just Chansey alone. Namely because it is kind of the unbreakable wall of the team. It takes seriously powerful Fighting type moves to break through the Wish+Protect. This makes it a very effective Stone Setter, one that will not go down regardless. Also it can pretty much stall anything with ease. On top of all that, it can even cover most of the team's weaknesses. It can come in on Ghost type-attacks aimed at either Gengar or Slowbro, Psychic type attack aimed at Venusaur, and even Water attacks at Ninetales in the rain. In addition, Chansey can wall most every electric threat that threatens Gyarados. Chansey is my premier counter to Rain and my usual lead against Politoed as it can wall most Rain abusers. Lastly, it is part of my defense against Dragons in lieu of the Steels that the first Generation lacked.

Kenny the Slowbro ♂

Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Nature: Bold

Moves:
-Scald
-Ice Beam
-Toxic
-Slack Off

Slowbro is the keystone to my Dragon defense. His sky-high defense gives him the ability to soak Outrages and Ice Beam back. Then to add insult to injury, the moment he switches he gains 33% of his life back and can begin anew. His ability to burn opposing sweepers is invaluable too. As the second part of my Chansbro core his synergy with Lucy is magnificent and together they keep Dragons from ravaging this team on a whim. I have had many battles were all the rest of my team is gone and Slowbro and Chansey remained, whittling down the opponent to an eventual ragequit. His amazing synergy with Chansey aside, he can also be a great switch-in on any Specs Latios that tries to Psyshock Venusaur. He walls most Darmanitan even under the sun with great ease unless they U-turn, but he can usually survive that and Slack the damage off. He is very adept at tanking any Stone Misses that are aimed at Ninetales too.

Durza the Gengar ♂

Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid

Moves:
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast
-Disable
-Substitute

This set is one of the most magnificent sets for Gengar. It is just perfect for a troll like me. It is one of the few things that everyone sees coming, but is still just as effective. Some of Durza's notable contributions to this team are in the form of his two key immunities: Fight and Ground. While Chansey has the entire team's back, Gengar has hers. He is the perfect switch-in on those powerful fighting type attacks that would cripple Chansey. His 4x resist to bug is very helpful as well, when those attacks are aimed at Slowbro. Levitate gives him the ability to waltz in over an Earthquake, Sub and begin to troll covering Ninetales' back when it is needed most. His addition to the Chansbro core enables it to better deal with things like Terrakion which is a serious threat with Close Combat and X-Scissor.

Final Notes:
Well, there you have it, my progress and tinkering over the course of many months, and now it is for you to judge. I have been trying to find a place to fit Starmie into this team, but I do not see where. So any input that anyone may have regarding this, please share. As well as it is doing I know it can do and be, better. Thank you for reading this RMT maybe even for your rates! Now for the best part... the replays! Some will feature Nidoqueen due to how long she was in the team:

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-18763186
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-30173554
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-30180269
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-48885048
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oucurrent-48731536
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oucurrent-47024226
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oucurrent-46879052

Should you wish to try the team...
Rados (Gyarados) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 88 HP / 248 Atk / 4 Def / 168 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Bounce
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute
- Earthquake

Shiro (Ninetales) (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Sunny Day
- SolarBeam
- Roar

LaFleur (Venusaur) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 72 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 180 Spd
Modest Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Growth

Lucy (Chansey) (F) @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Protect

Kenny (Slowbro) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Slack Off

Durza (Gengar) (M) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Disable
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Last edited:

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
Hi TyranitarTerror! :)

This is an awesome Sun team you have here (I love how it's exclusively Pokemon from RBY), and I have a few suggestions for your team that should improve your team's performance and help keep your preferred weather in play when dealing with teams that carry Drizzle or Sand Stream.

The most obviously significant part of a Sun team is the permanent Sun inducer, and thus it's very important to extend its longevity as much as possible so that the rest of the team can reap the benefits of its Drought. While Leftovers seems like a good choice of a held item to support this purpose, there is a better option for Ninetales that will prevent it from being completely destroyed by Choice Band Dugtrio, who can not only OHKO Ninetales cleanly, but will also trap it so it cannot escape, and then the team's weather inducer is gone. To prevent this from happening, I would like to suggest replacing Ninetales' Leftovers with Air Balloon. Also, the move Solarbeam is definitely designed for use under harsh sunlight. However, in a tier where Rain and Sand teams run rampant, it can often prove to be a poor choice of a Grass attack. Although you also carry the move Sunny Day, if an opposing weather inducer switches in while you go for Solarbeam, the move won't be used until after Sun is gone, which will leave you essentially trapped the following turn, using a move with only half its intended power, and being hit while unable to switch to safety, since Solarbeam becomes a two-turn attack. For this reason, I'd like to suggest replacing Solarbeam with Energy Ball, to prevent this from happening. There is a significant drop in power, but you will still have a reliable Grass type move without the aforementioned downside when faced with teams who use other weather. My recommended changes are shown in the set below:

Ninetales @ Air Balloon
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Sunny Day
- Energy Ball
- Fire Blast
- Roar

The Wish support Chansey can provide the team for added longevity is incredible. I'd like to note that Slowbro already provides Toxic support for stall and also has Regenerator and Slack Off, and this team will be causing a lot of switches, having Sub/Disable Gengar, Chansey to soak up special hits, and Slowbro to soak up physical hits. For these reasons, I would like to suggest swapping Chansey's Toxic with Stealth Rock, to help soften up teams as they constantly switch to try to deal with your team. Gengar can also function somewhat as a spinblocker, to prevent the opponent from using Rapid Spin to get rid of your Stealth Rock. It's also significant to note that Starmie is the most offensive Rapid Spinner in OU, and Gengar can OHKO even its bulky set after SR damage.

Chansey @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Wish
- Protect
- Stealth Rock

Well, other than these things, I think the team looks great. This concludes my rate! I wish you continued luck with your team! ^_^

Yo TtarTerror!

That is what I call originality and solidness in one team.I have a few suggestions.

1)Gyarados doesn't really benefit from Sun that much,so I suggest replacing Gyarados with my favorite gen 1 mon:Alakazam with Focus Sash so you can deal with Scizor,Forretress and Ferrothorn efficiently because your team is completely and totally walled by Ferrothorn if you lose Ninetales and Venusaur,and you remove a Stealth Rock weakness.

2)Your Venusaur's EV spread is a bit weird,I would recommend you go for 252 Sp Atk/252 Spd and 4 HP with a Timid Nature over your current spread.Timid to get the maximum speed and to outpace Scarf Keldeo,Scarf Latios,Modest Venusaur,etc.Don't forget to run 0 IVs in atack so you dont take much confusion or Foul Play damage.

Alakazam set ;)

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Trait:Magic Guard
EVs:252 SAtk/252 Spd/4 SDef
IV's:0 Atk
-Psyshock
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Miss Blast
-Hidden Power Fire

Hope I helped :D

Thanks for the rates! I am sorry I have taken so long to get back to you on this, but it has taken me a while to test these suggestions. However after lots of conclusive tests I have come to a point in which I can respond to these suggestions with more than just theoretical hunches and feelings. Anyways, onto my findings:​

Goddess Briyella:
After trying Energy Ball > Solarbeam I have found that power drop to hurt very badly and make Ninetales less able to do its job. Since I withold Nintales as long as I can as a precaution with hazards, usually keeping her out of the fray until the other inducer is gone, I do not see that change being needed. As for the Air Balloon, when I tested it I found that the lack of HP recovery shortened Ninetales durability in battle so I do not think I will use that.
On the other hand, the suggestion for Stealth Rock > Toxic on Chansey has been really nice to have. My main concern going in was that it would weaken my team to Volcarona as that is the primary recipient of Toxic, but even without Toxic Chansey can wall it to high heaven and force it to switch which is perfect for the addition of Stealth Rock.

Xenoblade911:
I tried Alakazam over Gyarados, but I did not find it to be very helpful for namely two reasons, one, because Gyarados is my lead, I usually send him out into opposing/no weather so he is not hindered. Also, Gyarados gives me a chance to use the opponent's early use of Stealth Rock to my advantage, which Alakazam could not quite do.

I would also like to add a replay that I think pretty much sums up the way I use this team and it also addresses some possible threats. I also think it may be of interest to any other possible raters should anyone wish to do another rate.​

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)