Blastoise (Placeholder)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit: oh yeah this is taken over from some guy -- forgot his name. Something to do with Team Rocket somethingsomething or something.

Sets to test:
Standard Rapid Spin
Offensive Rapid Spin (Expectations are very low for this one since it is outclassed by Tentacruel in every shape and form even though Tentacruel isn't a very good offensive rapid spinner in this metagame either... You know what nevermind I'm not even going to test an offensive Rapid Spin. If you want me to add it, make sure you test it first, then maybe I may spend time testing it.)
IF YOU SUGGEST SCARF WATERSPOUT OR ANYTHING WITH WATER SPOUT OR EVEN TELL ME TO PUT IT IN OTHER OPTIONS I WILL GOUGE OUT YOUR EYES

[SET]
name: Rapid Spin
move 1: Rapid Spin
move 2: Dragon Tail / Toxic
move 3: Boil Over
move 4: Ice Beam / Protect
nature: Bold
ability: Rain Dish
item: Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

• Has the most physical bulk out of all water type Rapid Spinners (i.e. Starmie and Tentacruel)
  • Isn't 3hkoed by Doryuuzu's earthquake at +0 isn't 2hkoed at +2 (assuming rain is up, which is a stretch)
  • to be continued

Boil Over is now called Scald. A Choice Specs set is still possible but it's outclassed by others (optional changes).

Also, I totally agree, Blastoise is too slow to use Water Spout (maybe explain this in optional changes, you're not recommending it, just saying why not to use it). On the topic of speed using Water Spout on a Trick Room abuser set is an even dumber idea.

Big question, can Dream World Squirtle be female? If not, Yawn cannot be used.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Unfortunately, I think I'm going to be putting a stop to this for the most part. Blastoise was only left off of the "unfit for analysis" because it had a viable set in Generation 4- that set was a lead set, which no longer really has any push here because of the new Team Preview dynamic. As an offensive spinner it's horribly outclassed by Starmie, and for the most part it's never going to spin against Jellicent. It also gets flat out set up on by Nattorei, which gives about 0 shits about getting hit with Rapid Spin, and also can just sit there and Power Whip or set up on you as much as it wants.

Defensively it's matched or outclassed by a whole lot of Pokemon: Suicune, Vaporeon, Tentacruel, Jellicent, Slowbro/Slowking, Swampert, Rotom-W just to name the ones I can think of off the top of my head. All of these Pokemon are more effective than Blastoise at doing defensive tasks, leaving Blastoise a far cry from being really all that effective.

TL;DR: Blastoise had a niche in Generation 4, but doesn't have that niche any more in Generation 5.

(side note: this was confirmed by 2 other QCers on IRC: Delta2777 and Eo Ut Mortus.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)