Pokémon Blastoise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, maybe Assault Vest Blastoise will do the trick here ? While you miss good amount of power, AV Blastoise is really damn tanky and he can afford to just go with Max HP/Max SpA Modest + Assault Vest with Dark Pulse in (as it is TM now for it). AV Blastoise is not really outclassed by MegaBlastoise, as he is in overall more bulky with AV than MegaBlastoise.
That could be an interesting alternative to the Mega Stone, especially on rain teams, so that it can benefit from Rain Dish.

I just went with a lazy 252 HP / 252 SpA spread in the OP. You can take EVs out of special attack if you want more bulk.

I think max special attack is worthwhile though. Base 135 special attack is impressive, especially with Blastoise's coverage. It can act as a good wall-breaker in addition to spinning.

Hmm mega blastoise with a modest nature no investment 2hko aegis lash with dark pulse so with a defensive set I believe u should still use mega and is a great asset to stall :)

Correct on the first two, but Dark Pulse is a TM move. Incidentally, Squirtle cannot learn Dark Pulse, but Blastoise can.

I'd like to follow up on this, since the current spread in the OP is 252 SpA. Are those remaining EVs worthless in SpA after all, or is there something that it's worth including them for?
Gives a good chance at ohkoing gourgeist and trevenant, especially after rocks. Also, good damage to other stuff.

Would it be viable to run a bulky attacker set similar to rotom-w in gen 5, and rely on mega launcher for attack power instead of putting max evs in sp.a?

Would it be viable to run a bulky attacker set similar to rotom-w in gen 5, and rely on mega launcher for attack power instead of putting max evs in sp.a?
Yes, a lot of people are using only 64 spA. However, rotom gets WoW and painsplit, and can hold lefties Blastoise gets no recover apart from rest.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I've been running the HP/Special Attack spread in my stall team, and I must say that Blastoise is one of the more impressive Mega's I've used. I use Wish support with it from Blissey to keep it alive (and because Blastoise is pretty great at sponging the physical attacks aimed at it), and I must say it's a big part as to why I topped 2000 on the ladder. 135 base special attack + Mega Launcher means that even regular switch ins like Rotom-w and Celebi aren't gonna have a fun time. Dragons wall it but it's not like you want to send Blastoise into them anyway.

Do you run it Modest or with a different nature? And wouldn't Ice Beam be an option over Aura Sphere for countering dragons, since it seems like Aura Sphere is the most situational of the three attacks. I imagine dragons still don't like eating Dark Pulses regardless.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Yeah I run Modest. I've considered Ice Beam, but being able to nail Ferrothorn (and pick off weakened Blissey's) with Aura Sphere is pretty cool. It's definitely the most replaceable move though

Do you run it Modest or with a different nature? And wouldn't Ice Beam be an option over Aura Sphere for countering dragons, since it seems like Aura Sphere is the most situational of the three attacks. I imagine dragons still don't like eating Dark Pulses regardless.
As far as I can tell, the only dragon that Ice Beam actually matters against is Dragonite, who would still survive due to Multiscale. And is OHKOed by Dragon Pulse after Stealth Rocks.

Hydreigon, Salamence, Garchomp (not Mega), and Charizard X are OHKOed by Dragon Pulse (if you're running it).

Aura Sphere hits 3 extra types super effectively that your other moves don't cover. And by the way, Hydro Pump does not OHKO Tyranitar while Aura Sphere does.

Why 252 Sp attack over defence for megablastosie? If you want a Tank this Would work to, just leans to more of a defensive Rapid spinner.

I have been having a dilemma... in a vaccum, which would you take? Mega Blastoise and Gengar, or Mega Gengar and Blastoise? Assuming Blastoise's main role would be as a Spinner/Mixed Tank, and Gengar as a Special Sweeper/Spin Blocker.

Last edited:
If you want to be OU relevant, then Megatoise no questions asked. As much as I like regular toise, it misses power and mono water has fallen from grace as a defensive typing.

Disregarding the above, regular blastoise isn't very good as a tanky spinner in OU. It's USABLE, especially with it's movepool buffs, but mega launcher and 135 SpAtk make mega-blastoise incredibly risky to switch in on, allowing you to either nuke their spin-blocker, or get a free spin, depending on how you predict things.

So, IF you're set on using Blastoise, then I'd suggest mega Blastoise + normal Gengar. If not, Mega-Gengar would probably have better synergy with Starmie, Excadrill, Donphan or Forretress as far as spinners go. Tentacruel could work as well, despite the shared weakness to ground and psychic.

Why 252 Sp attack over defence for megablastosie? If you want a Tank this Would work to, just leans to more of a defensive Rapid spinner.
Despite his impressive bulk, Mega Blastoise lacks ANY form of recovery, meaning his abilities as a tank are limited. However, his bulk does let him survive to fire off powerful MegaLauncher boosted moves, hopefully kill hazard setters / spin blockers, and rapid spin. He isn't so much comparable to Forretress or Tentacruel as a support rapid spinner, and is instead more like Starmie or Excadrill in the offensive spin camp.

On that note, an alternative EV spread of 252 HP / 188 Def or SpDef / 64 SpAtk has been suggested as it lets him nuke key threats specifically, and gives him a bit more bulk. However, 252 / 252 / 4 can break down walls easily for your sweepers as well, and is still plenty bulky.

I've been playing with mega Blastiose as a Special Tank and spinner and it NEVER disappoints. I think its easily the best rapid spinner in the game. It can spin and it has base 125 special attack with Dark Pulse that essentially gets a STAB boost. I dont think there has ever been a more reliable rapid spinner in the game

I've been playing with mega Blastiose as a Special Tank and spinner and it NEVER disappoints. I think its easily the best rapid spinner in the game. It can spin and it has base 125 special attack with Dark Pulse that essentially gets a STAB boost. I dont think there has ever been a more reliable rapid spinner in the game
what spread do you use?

what spread do you use?

252 HP 252 Sp Atk Modest
Rapid Spin
Water Pulse
Dark Pulse
Aura Sphere

It covers and destroys so many things. It is also incredibly bulky. Dark Pulse guarantees you will kill any spin blocker coming in and also allows Blastiose to easily solo Gengar, Trevenant, and Aegislash. Aura Sphere kills Ferrothorn, Tyranitar etc etc. And Water Pulse is solid STAB

Can it counter aegislash? I'm on my phone, so could someone post calcs, please?
The calculations are on the opening post. While it's only for shield form, the fact that it can reliably 2HKO those defenses should tell you all you need about its damage output to non-shield form.

I dont know how to do calcs but Mega Blastiose shits on Aegislash.

Can take a +2 shadow sneak with ease and OHKO it with Dark Pulse
It also 100% survives with solid comfort +4 Shadow Sneak if someone decides to set up another Swords Dance once MegaBlastoise attack with Dark Pulse, which is clean 2HKO on Shield Form as well. So yeah, you can rely on MegaBlastoise when it goes to Aegislash.

I really want to use mega blast since blastoise is my all time favorite pokemon, but I have two problems with mega blasoise.

1: It isnt as bulky as suicune

2: it takes up the very important mega spot on a team and I am just not sure he is worth that spot.

can someone tell me things to make me feel better about using him and why these two issues aren't that big of deal

I really want to use mega blast since blastoise is my all time favorite pokemon, but I have two problems with mega blasoise.

2: it takes up the very important mega spot on a team and I am just not sure he is worth that spot.

can someone tell me things to make me feel better about using him and why these two issues aren't that big of deal

If you dont want to use him as your Mega than that is legit. There isnt really a way for me to talk you out of it. But if you are building a team and notice it is really weak to entry hazards than use Mega Blastiose. Base 125 spc atk is nothing to play around with, especially when it essentially gets STAB on all its moves.

I use Mega Blastiose because I didnt plan my team around a Mega Pokemon. And as I was building my team it made the most sense to add. And to not brag or anything but I am 11-2 with my particular team on Showdown. Mega Blastiose is too reliabe. I love it

Factoring in the 50% boost to his major moves with Mega Launcher, Megatoise reaches 202 base SpA, over twice the amount of Suicune. So there's that.
Megatoise also has better coverage and a solid niche with Rapid Spin.
Suicune is not that viable in OU to begin with anyway.

1. Suicune is halfway between a tank and a wall, whereas Mega Blastoise is a true tank, and can do more damage immediately.
2. Mega Blastoise has Rapid Spin, and a near unblockable one at that thanks to a Dark Pulse which is equal to Darkrai's.
3. Mega Blastoise has (arguably) better coverage.

Also, Suicune is only about 10% bulkier than Mega Blastoise, given equal defensive investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)