Doubles Blaziken

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
<Mizuhime> k approved

Blaziken

Only one here getting fried'll be you

QC Stamps: [Lolk, Audiosurfer, BLOOD TOTEM]
GP Stamps: [Fleurdelyeurse, GatoDelFuego]

Overview
########

With arguably one of the best abilities in the game in Speed Boost, Blaziken is a considerable threat. It has great offensive stats and access to two very powerful STAB attacks which have nice coverage with each other and hit a significant portion of the tier super effectively. Blaziken is very difficult to stop once it gets rolling, especially when paired with Drought, which further increases the power of its Flare Blitz. Unfortunately, Blaziken is susceptible to spread attacks and has many common weaknesses. Its attacks are also unreliable; Low Kick has a matchup-dependent Base Power, High Jump Kick is susceptible to Protect, and Flare Blitz has crippling recoil. Blaziken also faces competition from other fast, powerful Fighting-types such as Keldeo, Terrakion, and even Infernape. It's very weak to speed control too, and does especially poorly against Trick Room, which reverses its boosts. Only its regular forme is really viable; the Mega Evolution is almost never worth the slot and outclassed by many other Mega Pokemon.

Speed Boost Sweeper
########
name: Speed Boost Sweeper
move 1: Protect
move 2: Flare Blitz
move 3: Low Kick / High Jump Kick
move 4: Stone Edge / Swords Dance
ability: Speed Boost
item: Life Orb / Blazikenite
evs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
nature: Jolly

Moves
========

Protect is doubly important for Blaziken, not only as a maneuvering tool, as usual, but also to stall and rack up Speed boosts. Flare Blitz is the first STAB attack, hitting very hard with perfect accuracy, but it does have annoying recoil. In the second slot, Low Kick should be used for a Fighting-type STAB move that has great coverage with Flare Blitz. It hits many heavier Pokemon such as Heatran and Tyranitar consistently and hard, without recoil. High Jump Kick can also be used, as it is hits many lighter Pokemon for a lot more damage. However, it is quite unreliable; the damage caused by misses or hitting Protect will surely put a quick end to Blaziken, especially due to the prevalence of the latter. Stone Edge is for coverage, nailing the Flying-, Fire-, and Dragon-types that resist Blaziken's STAB moves. Swords Dance can also be used to boost Blaziken's power, and to helps counter Intimidate. +2 Blaziken is extremely hard to stop, even without coverage, which is not totally necessary for it. Rock Slide can be used over Stone Edge in last slot for spread damage and to more accurately hit Flying-types that Blaziken hates. However, it is quite weak. Superpower can be used in the third slot for more reliability and more power, but it forces Blaziken to switch out due to the stat drops that it causes.

Set Details
========

The Speed EVs and Jolly nature let Mega Blaziken outspeed 236 Speed neutral-natured Deoxys-A, the fastest unboosted threat in Doubles, after one Protect. Blaziken's Attack stat is maximized to help it hit as hard as possible, and the rest of the EVs go into HP for a bit more bulk. Life Orb is the optimal item, as the stat boosts provided by the Mega Stone are usually not worth the Mega slot, and it also lets Blaziken pair up with Mega Charizard Y. Life Orb Blaziken is also more powerful anyway, and the Speed difference is not noticeable after a few boosts. Still, Mega Blaziken can also be used, but again, it is usually not worth it. If Mega Blaziken is used, a spread of 144 HP / 252 Atk / 112 Spe with an Adamant nature is preferred, which is all that is necessary to help it outspeed Deoxys-A. 184 Speed EVs with an Adamant nature can also be used on Mega Blaziken in order to outspeed 252 Speed Adamant Choice Scarf Landorus-T.

Usage Tips
========

Blaziken gets worn down very quickly, especially between Life Orb and Flare Blitz recoil. It is not very bulky and requires as much health as possible upon coming in so it can use Flare Blitz as many times as possible. Thus, it is best to bring Blaziken in safely after a teammate has been KOed. It can also be switched into a predicted, resisted attack, but this is a riskier maneuver. Once in, Blaziken can either Protect to give itself a Speed boost or attack immediately. Blaziken's STAB attacks each do a fair amount of neutral damage to most things in the tier, so Blaziken can easily deal a lot of damage mid- or late-game and clean up. Unfortunately, although they may seem that way, Blaziken's attacks are not spammable. Overuse of Flare Blitz will wear Blaziken down from recoil, so targets must be chosen wisely, as Blaziken will almost be sure to go down after a few turns. Be very careful when using High Jump Kick; Protect will easily end Blaziken's sweep. Use Protect to scout for opposing Protect, rack up more Speed boosts, and buy a partner time to KO threats while keeping Blaziken safe.

Team Options
========

Feint support is extremely useful to help stop opposing Protect from blocking High Jump Kick. Users of this move that would pair well with Blaziken include Mega Pinsir and Goodra, the latter of which can help check Dragon-types as well. Follow Me / Rage Powder support is quintessential should Blaziken carry Swords Dance. Amoonguss, in particular, is great for redirecting Water-type attacks. Jirachi sponges them too and can take Flying- and Psychic-type attacks as well. Wide Guard helps protect Blaziken from Earthquake and Muddy Water. Aegislash and Hitmontop can both provide that kind of support, and Hitmontop can also provide Feint and Fake Out support as well. Quick Guard protects Blaziken from Talonflame and other priority attacks. Terrakion is a great carrier of the move that also checks Flying-types. Bisharp too can help out and check Psychic-types, keep Intimidate users out, and threaten common Trick Room setters. It can also support Blaziken with Sucker Punch to finish off weakened foes. Safeguard, which can be provided by Pokemon such as Cresselia and Klefki, works wonders in stopping Thunder Wave from crippling Blaziken. Trick Room counters such as Amoonguss and Taunt users such as Thundurus and Keldeo all work well to make sure Blaziken's boosts aren't turned into a disadvantage. Offensive power also helps; Mega Gengar traps and removes Psychic-, Ghost-, and Fairy-type Trick Room setters. Thundurus can tackle Flying-types easily and cripple things with Thunder Wave. Mega Charizard Y provides sun support for regular Blaziken. Finally, Helping Hand from Pokemon such as Hitmontop and Jirachi help power up Blaziken's attacks, making it even more difficult to stop.

Other Options
########

Sky Uppercut can be used as a Fighting-type STAB attack instead of the other moves listed. It is less powerful than High Jump Kick but it is a fairly reliable alternative. Earthquake can be used as a different coverage attack. Blaziken can also utilize Baton Pass to pass its Speed (and possibly Attack) boosts to a teammate. Brave Bird is another interesting coverage move that Blaziken has, but it also has annoying recoil. Blaziken can take advantage of Substitute fairly well to buy even more time to set up, especially because it forces many switches. A mixed set with Fire Blast, Overheat, Hidden Power Ice/Rock, Heat Wave, or Focus Blast can be put to use as well. For an item, Lum Berry can be used to heal Blaziken from paralysis or sleep, both of which are very crippling to it.

Checks & Counters
########
**Speed Control**: Trick Room completely shuts Blaziken down, reversing the benefits of its ability. Cresselia, Chandelure, and Aromatisse can all shrug off its attacks (though Chandelure has to watch out for Stone Edge) and set the field effect up. Paralysis also nullifies the boosts granted by Blaziken's ability. Thundurus works well for this job because it outspeeds Blaziken with Prankster.

**Higher Speed**: Priority attacks can bypass Blaziken's Speed boosts and chip off large chunks of damage. Brave Bird from Talonflame, Aqua Jet from Azumarill, and Fake Out from Mega Kangaskhan or Hitmontop can all wear Blaziken down very quickly after some recoil damage. Whimsicott and Liepard must avoid Blaziken's STAB attacks but can lock it into a harmless move with priority Encore. Tailwind can also be set on the turn Blaziken first Protects, helping opponents outspeed it and take it out before its boosts accumulate.

**Intimidate**: Intimidate users such as Landorus-T and Hitmontop work well to lower Blaziken's Attack. However, they only help against sets that lack Swords Dance.

**Offensive Type Advantage**: Earthquake from Pokemon such as Landorus-T and Garchomp hits Blaziken really hard. Drizzle weakens Blaziken a lot, and makes it even more susceptible to Water-type attacks. Kingdra in rain outspeeds +1 Blaziken and can OHKO with Muddy Water. Any STAB super effective attack will usually OHKO Blaziken, really. Some common examples include Psyshock from Latios or Latias and Hydro Pump from Rotom-W.

**Defensive Pokemon**: Cresselia can survive any attack and KO Blaziken with a super effective STAB move. Fire-types such as Mega Charizard Y and Chandelure beat Blaziken easily if it lacks Stone Edge. Flying-types and Dragon-types keep it at bay as well. Salamence, in particular, has Intimidate and resists both STAB attacks, but must watch out for Stone Edge. Jellicent and other Water-types wall Blaziken and can hurt it with Scald.

Last edited by a moderator:

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Since this is the "Blaziken" analysis, you gotta mention Life Orb Blaziken. Using LO lets you use it alongside Mega Charizard Y's Drought, which is the best pokemon in doubles. There is almost no power drop, and it doesn't consume your mega slot. Drought + LO is way better than Mega Blaziken. I've been using this + ZardY + CB Talonflame for a while now and there arent many doubles teams that can slow them down. Add in the Protect mindgames and youve got a cannon. Charizard Y also nukes most of Blaziken's counters like Rotom-W and Landorus-T while giving it a huge boost to Flare Blitz

I also want to suggest Stone Edge over Rock Slide. Sometimes you just HAVE TO get that ko against a flying-type and Rock Slide doesn't cut it. Blaziken isn't made for spread damage. You will never get a chance to Swords Dance.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah I was definitely going to add a separate non-mega blaziken set, though idk if I can put them together or not because they're pretty similar

Also, I hold Rock Slide / Stone Edge in pretty much the same like because all you're going to be hitting with it are things like Zard Y, so the power loss isn't going to be that noticeable. Stone Edge hits Azumarill harder, but it'll KO you with AJet anyway, and Lati@s but it's not going to KO them either. Against most other Flying-types, Flare Blitz is more reliable.

Also, Swords Dance does come in handy at times, especially if you give Blaziken the right support, because Blaziken literally OHKOs everything worth caring about at +2.

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
  • Mention Low Kick, it's cool. It's a decent STAB attack that doesn't have the risk factor of HJK. Most of the time Flare Blitz is a cool option anyways. HJK's targets can be also heavy such as TTar, Heatran, yada.
  • Stone Edge is overall the better choice as aside from hitting burd-types, Stone Edge hits a lot of other Pokemon neutrally such as Latios. Also, Rock Slide is really just too weak on MegaBlaze. The utility of Stone Edge when cleaning up is also cool.
  • TTar is a cool partner as it can check Burds and Psychics and can change the weather to something that's not Rain.
My few cents to give.

BPC

"Silence is the best answer to a stupid question"
Yeah I was definitely going to add a separate non-mega blaziken set, though idk if I can put them together or not because they're pretty similar

Also, I hold Rock Slide / Stone Edge in pretty much the same like because all you're going to be hitting with it are things like Zard Y, so the power loss isn't going to be that noticeable. Stone Edge hits Azumarill harder, but it'll KO you with AJet anyway, and Lati@s but it's not going to KO them either. Against most other Flying-types, Flare Blitz is more reliable.

Also, Swords Dance does come in handy at times, especially if you give Blaziken the right support, because Blaziken literally OHKOs everything worth caring about at +2.
Nice analysis electrotyle buddy.

Reactions: Muk
Overview:
  • Generally not worth the mega slot, as most other Megas offer more utility/survive longer/have better STABs.
  • Outclassed as a Mega specifically by Mega Charizard X, who offers more bulk, better defensive typing, and can actually set up. Infernape also gives it trouble as a Fire/Fighting because it has Close Combat and Fake Out to support its team.
Set:
  • Life Orb should be slashed first, it hits harder and the reader can use better Mega Evolutions (make sure this is the most emphasized thing in the analysis). I would prefer that the Mega Stone isn't on there at all tbh, because Life Orb does the exact same thing and the recoil is minimal considering it is going down in only a few turns anyway.
  • Sky Uppercut is should probably be its Fighting-type STAB as using both HJK or Superpower cut its life even shorter.
  • Change the EV spread to the Life Orb EV spread.
Moves:
  • HJK is worthy of being mentioned here as an alternate (or even slashed behind Sky Uppercut idk Blaziken sucks with or without it lol), but Superpower and Rock Slide should be OO because Blaziken cant afford to lose Attack power/Rock Slide hits puny.

Usage Tips:
  • Slow Volt Switches and U-turns are extremely uncommon in Doubles. The only way you are gonna get Blaziken in safely is to take a hit (requires smart prediction on what to switch in on) or coming in after an opponent has fainted.
  • Choose targets wisely, as Blaziken is going down itself after Flare Blitz recoil + neutral hit from most threats.
Team Options:
  • Follow Me / Rage Powder support is 100% necessary if Blaziken is using Swords Dance.
  • Blaziken cannot handle any more passive damage, so I would use different partners for beating Flying Psychics and Rain teams.
  • Safeguard support is nice so every Twave doesnt crush it severely.
  • Bisharp makes Intimidate Pokemon think twice about switching in on Blaziken.
  • Partners that beat Trick Room leads are highly recommended as well.
  • Helping Hand support lets it KO stuff
Other Options:
  • I would say here that Baton Passing is the best reason to use Mega Blaziken over normal Blaziken.
Checks & Counters:
  • Make sure you list specific users of everything
  • Surf is bad in Doubles.
  • Cress can live a hit and cripple it back
  • Chandelure, Salamence, Zard Y, etc. beat it without Stone Edge.
  • Intimidate

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
Put in Lolk's changes.

Talked with Pwnemon; Sky Uppercut is inferior to High Jump kick. As long as you play around Protect, they have the same accuracy, but HJK hits more than 1.5x more powerfully

Put Sky Uppercut in OO with Low kick

Okay I am cool with HJK stayin.

Mega Pinsir>Hitmontop as a Feint partner because typings don't clash and Mega Blaziken covers its Rock weakness.

Intimidate deserves its own tag in c&c (but emphasize that it only helps if lacking SD).

Add Jellicent to things that wreck it.

QC 1/3

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Mega Pinsir>Hitmontop as a Feint partner because typings don't clash and Mega Blaziken covers its Rock weakness.
Also add Assualt Vest Goodra to the list of Feint users

It also checks some counters to Blaziken like Mega Zard Y and Dragon-types (the latter only if holding an Assualt Vest)

Remove the part about Baton Pass being illegal with Speed Boost, as this is false.

Male Pokemon can breed down their HA as long as its partner is Ditto; you'll eventually receive a female HA Torchic offspring which you can use to pass down HA + egg moves with.

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
some things:
  • add substitute to OO
  • i think low kick deserves to be slashed before hjk since you don't have to worry about ending yourself
  • when you mention latios, say how it & latias resist both of blaziken's stabs too
  • say how in addition to gettin psychics + ghosts, bisharp is also great as a partner because of defiant
looks good otherwise. qc 2/3

BLOOD TOTEM

braine damaged
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Overview
  • I'd say that both Blazikens main Fighting-type STAB moves are unreliable, not just HJK
  • ''Only its regular forme is really viable, too&mdash'' ???????????????????????????????
Set
  • I guess it's at your discression but I'd typically have Protect slashed in slot 4
Moves
  • Say HJK hits lighter mons like Rotom-W for weigh more damage (gr8 pun)
  • Doesn't read super smooth, seeing a lot of repetition of reliable, mix it up a little :>
Set Details
  • 184 Spe Jolly (mega) beats 252 Adamant Scarf Lando-T, I'd mention this
Team Options
  • When you talk about top for Wide Guard, mention it also gets Feint and Fake Out to provide further support
Other Options
  • I'm no GP expert but I'd describe Sky Uppercut as consistent rather than reliable (I wouldn't want to rely on that low damage but at least I know it's gonna hit consistently)
Checks and Counters
  • Mention TWind getting set on Protect turns

Good job on this, most of my comments are just minor nitpicks =]

Implement for QC 3/3

fleurdyleurse

nobody,not even the rain,has such small hands
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
hi
Overview
########
With arguably one of the best abilities in the game in Speed Boost, Blaziken is a considerable threat. It has great offensive stats and access to two very powerful STAB attacks which have nice coverage with each other and hit a significant portion of the tier super effectively. Blaziken is very difficult to stop once it gets rolling, especially when paired with Drought, which further increases the power of its Flare Blitz to unbelievable levels. Unfortunately, Blaziken is susceptible to spread attacks, and has many common weaknesses. Its attacks are also unreliable; Low Kick has a matchup-dependent bBase pPower, High Jump Kick is weaksusceptible to Protect , and Flare Blitz has crippling recoil. Blaziken also faces competition from other fast, powerful Fighting-types as well. It's very weak to Speed control too, and does especially poorly against Trick Room, which reverses its boosts. Only its regular forme is really viable; the Mega forme is almost never worth the slot and outclassed by many other Mega Pokemon.
Speed Boost Sweeper
########
Moves
========
Protect is doubly important for Blaziken, not only as a maneuvering tool, as usual, but also to stall and rack up Speed boosts. Flare Blitz is the first STAB attack, hitting very hard and having perfect accuracy, but it does have annoying recoil. In the second slot, Low Kick should be used for a Fighting-type STAB move that has great coverage with Flare Blitz. It hits many heavier Pokemon consistently and hard, without recoil. High Jump Kick can also be used, as it is hits many lighter Pokemon for a lot more damage. However, it is kind ofquite unreliable; the damage caused by misses or hitting Protect will surely put a quick end to Blaziken, especially due to the prevalence of the latter. Stone Edge is for coverage, nailing the Flying-, Fire-, and Dragon-types that resist Blaziken's STAB moves. Swords Dance can also be used to boost Blaziken's power, and to helps counter Intimidate. +2 Blaziken is extremely hard to stop, even without coverage, which is not even totally necessary for it. Rock Slide can be used over Stone Edge in the last slot for spread damage and to more accurately hit Flying-types that Blaziken hates. However, it is quite weak. Superpower can be used in the third slot for more reliability and more power, but it forces Blaziken to switch out due to the stat drops that it causes.
Set Details
========
The Speed EVs and Jolly nature let Mega Blaziken outspeed 236 Spe neutral Deoxys-A, the fastest unboosted threat in Doubles, after one Protect. Its Attack stat is maximized to help it hit as hard as possible, and the rest of the EVs go into HP for a bit more bulk. Life Orb is the optimal item, as the stat boosts provided by the Mega stone is usually not worth the Mega Sslot, and it also lets Blaziken pair up with Mega Charizard Y. Life Orb Blaziken is also more powerful anyway, and the Speed difference is not noticeable after a few boosts. Still, Mega Blaziken can also be used, but again, it is usually not worth it. If Mega Blaziken is used, a spread of 144 HP / 252 Atk / 112 Spe Adamant is preferred, which is all that is necessary to help it outspeed 236 Spe neutral Deo-A. 184 Spe Adamant can also be used on Mega Blaziken in order to outpseed 252 Spe Adamant Choice Scarf Landorus-T.
Usage Tips
========
Blaziken gets worn down very quickly, especially between Life Orb and Flare Blitz recoil. It is not very bulky and requires as much health as possible upon coming in so it can use Flare Blitz as many times as possible. Thus, it is best to bring Blaziken in safely after a teammate has been KOed. It can also be switched into a predicted, resisted attack, but this is a riskier maneuver. Once in, Blaziken can either Protect to give itself a Speed boost or attack immediately. Blaziken's STAB attacks each do a fair amount of neutral damage to most things in the tier, so Blaziken can easily deal a lot of damage mid- to late-game and clean up. Unfortunately, although they may seem that way, Blaziken's attacks are not spammable. Overuse of Flare Blitz will wear it down from recoil, so targets must be chosen wisely, as Blaziken will almost be sure to go down after a few turns. Be very careful when using High Jump Kick; Protect will easily end Blaziken's sweep. Use Protect to scout for opposing Protect, rack up more Speed, and buy a partner time to KO threats while keeping Blaziken safe.
Team Options
========
Feint support is extremely useful to help stop opposing Protect from blocking High Jump Kick. Users of this move that would pair well with Blaziken include Mega Pinsir and Assault Vest Goodra, the latter of which can help check Dragon-types as well. Follow Me / Rage Powder support is quintessential should Blaziken carry Swords Dance. Amoonguss, in particular, is great for redirecting Water-type attacks. Jirachi sponges them too and can take Flying- and Psychic-type attacks as well. Wide Guard helps protect Blaziken from Earthquake and Muddy Water. Aegislash and Hitmontop can both provide that kind of support, and Hitmontop can also provide Feint and Fake Out support as well. Quick Guard protects Blaziken from Talonflame and other priority attacks. Terrakion is a great carrier of the move that also checks Flying-types. Bisharp too can help out and check Psychic-types, keep Intimidate users out, and stop Trick Room. It can also support Blaziken with Sucker Punch to finish off weakened foes. Safeguard, which can be provided by Pokemon such as Cresselia orand Klefki, works wonders in keestopping Thunder Wave from crippling Blaziken. Trick Room counters such as Amoonguss and Taunt users such as Thundurus orand Keldeo all work well to make sure Blaziken's boosts aren't turned into a disadvantage. Offensive power also helps; Mega Gengar traps and removes Psychic-, Ghost-, and Fairy-type Trick Room setters. Thundurus can tackle Flying-types easily and cripple things with Thunder Wave. Mega Charizard Y provides sun support for regular Blaziken. Finally, Helping Hand from Pokemon likesuch as Hitmontop orand Jirachi help power up Blaziken's attacks, making it even more difficult to stop.
Other Options
########
Sky Uppercut can be used as a Fighting-type STAB attack instead of the other moves listed. It is less powerful than High Jump Kick but it is a fairly reliable alternative. Earthquake can be used as a different coverage attack. Blaziken can also utilize Baton Pass to pass its Speed (and possibly Attack) boosts to a teammate. Brave Bird is another interesting coverage move that Blaziken has, but it also has annoying recoil. Blaziken can take advantage of Substitute fairly well to buy even more time to set up, especially because it forces many switches. A mixed set with Fire Blast, Overheat, Hidden Power Ice / Rock, Heat Wave, or Focus Blast can be put to use as well. For an item, Lum Berry can be used to heal Blaziken from paralysis, sleep, or poison, all of which are very crippling to it.
Checks &amp; Counters
########
**Speed control**: Trick Room completely shuts Blaziken down, reversing the benefits of its ability. Cresselia, Chandelure, and Aromatisse can all shrug off its attacks (though Chandelure has to watch out for Stone Edge) and set the field effect up. Paralysis also nullifies the boosts granted by Blaziken's ability. Thundurus works well for this job because it outspeeds Blaziken with Prankster.
**Speed**: Priority attacks can bypass Blaziken's Speed boosts and chip off large chunks of damage. Brave Bird from Talonflame, Aqua Jet from Azumarill, and Fake Out from Mega Kangaskhan or Hitmontop can all wear Blaziken down very quickly after some recoil damage. Whimsicott and Liepard must avoid Blaziken's STAB attacks but can lock it into a harmless move with priority Encore. Tailwind can also be set on the turn Blaziken first Protects, helping opponents outspeed it and take it out before its boosts accumulate.
**Intimidate**: Intimidate users such as Landorus-T and Hitmontop work well to loweakenr Blaziken's aAttack power. However, they only help against sets that lack Swords Dance.
**Offensive Type Advantage**: Earthquake from Pokemon such as Landorus-T and Garchomp hits Blaziken really hard. Drizzle weakens Blaziken a lot, and makes it even more susceptible to Water-type attacks. Kingdra in Rain outspeeds +1 Blaziken and can OHKO with Muddy Water. Any STAB super effective attack will usually OHKO Blaziken, really. Some common examples include Psyshock from Latios or Latias and Hydro Pump from Rotom-W.
**Defensive Pokemon**: Cresselia can survive any attack and KO Blaziken with a super effective STAB move. Fire-types such as Mega Charizard Y and Chandelure beat Blaziken easily if it lacks Stone Edge. Flying-types and Dragon-types keep it at bay as well. Salamence, in particular, has Intimidate and resists both STAB attacks, but must watch out for Stone Edge. Jellicent and other Water-types wall it and can hurt it with Scald.

GP 1/2

Last edited:

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
and its last check is ready 4 u

Electrolyte

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

Overview
########

With arguably one of the best abilities in the game in Speed Boost, Blaziken is a considerable threat. It has great offensive stats and access to two very powerful STAB attacks which have nice coverage with each other and hit a significant portion of the tier super effectively. Blaziken is very difficult to stop once it gets rolling, especially when paired with Drought, which further increases the power of its Flare Blitz to unbelievable levels. Unfortunately, Blaziken is susceptible to spread attacks, (RC) and has many common weaknesses. Its attacks are also unreliable; Low Kick has a matchup-dependent Base Power, High Jump Kick is susceptible to Protect, and Flare Blitz has crippling recoil. Blaziken also faces competition from other fast, powerful Fighting-types such as. It's very weak to speed control too, and does especially poorly against Trick Room, which reverses its boosts. Only its regular forme is really viable; the Mega Evolution forme is almost never worth the slot and outclassed by many other Mega Pokemon.

Speed Boost Sweeper
########

Moves
========

Protect is doubly important for Blaziken, not only as a maneuvering tool, as usual, but also to stall and rack up Speed boosts. Flare Blitz is the first STAB attack, hitting very hard and having with perfect accuracy, but it does have annoying recoil. In the second slot, Low Kick should be used for a Fighting-type STAB move that has great coverage with Flare Blitz. It hits many heavier Pokemon such as consistently and hard, without recoil. High Jump Kick can also be used, as it is hits many lighter Pokemon for a lot more damage. However, it is quite unreliable; the damage caused by misses or hitting Protect will surely put a quick end to Blaziken, especially due to the prevalence of the latter. Stone Edge is for coverage, nailing the Flying-, Fire-, and Dragon-types that resist Blaziken's STAB moves. Swords Dance can also be used to boost Blaziken's power, and to helps counter Intimidate. +2 Blaziken is extremely hard to stop, even without coverage, which is not totally necessary for it. Rock Slide can be used over Stone Edge in last slot for spread damage and to more accurately hit Flying-types that Blaziken hates. However, it is quite weak. Superpower can be used in the third slot for more reliability and more power, but it forces Blaziken to switch out due to the stat drops that it causes.

Set Details
========

The Speed EVs and Jolly nature let Mega Blaziken outspeed 236 Speed neutral-natured Deoxys-A, the fastest unboosted threat in Doubles, after one Protect. Its Blaziken's Attack stat is maximized to help it hit as hard as possible, and the rest of the EVs go into HP for a bit more bulk. Life Orb is the optimal item, as the stat boosts provided by the Mega Stone are is usually not worth the Mega slot, and it also lets Blaziken pair up with Mega Charizard Y. Life Orb Blaziken is also more powerful anyway, and the Speed difference is not noticeable after a few boosts. Still, Mega Blaziken can also be used, but again, it is usually not worth it. If Mega Blaziken is used, a spread of 144 HP / 252 Atk / 112 Spe with an Adamant nature is preferred, which is all that is necessary to help it outspeed 236 Spe neutral Deoxys-A. 184 Speed EVs with an Adamant nature can also be used on Mega Blaziken in order to outspeed 252 Speed Adamant Choice Scarf Landorus-T.

Usage Tips
========

Blaziken gets worn down very quickly, especially between Life Orb and Flare Blitz recoil. It is not very bulky and requires as much health as possible upon coming in so it can use Flare Blitz as many times as possible. Thus, it is best to bring Blaziken in safely after a teammate has been KOed. It can also be switched into a predicted, resisted attack, but this is a riskier maneuver. Once in, Blaziken can either Protect to give itself a Speed boost or attack immediately. Blaziken's STAB attacks each do a fair amount of neutral damage to most things in the tier, so Blaziken can easily deal a lot of damage mid- to or late-game and clean up. Unfortunately, although they may seem that way, Blaziken's attacks are not spammable. Overuse of Flare Blitz will wear it Blaziken down from recoil, so targets must be chosen wisely, as Blaziken will almost be sure to go down after a few turns. Be very careful when using High Jump Kick; Protect will easily end Blaziken's sweep. Use Protect to scout for opposing Protect, rack up more Speed boosts, and buy a partner time to KO threats while keeping Blaziken safe.

Team Options
========

Feint support is extremely useful to help stop opposing Protect from blocking High Jump Kick. Users of this move that would pair well with Blaziken include Mega Pinsir and Assault Vest Goodra, the latter of which can help check Dragon-types as well. Follow Me / Rage Powder support is quintessential should Blaziken carry Swords Dance. Amoonguss, in particular, is great for redirecting Water-type attacks. Jirachi sponges them too and can take Flying- and Psychic-type attacks as well. Wide Guard helps protect Blaziken from Earthquake and Muddy Water. Aegislash and Hitmontop can both provide that kind of support, and Hitmontop can also provide Feint and Fake Out support as well. Quick Guard protects Blaziken from Talonflame and other priority attacks. Terrakion is a great carrier of the move that also checks Flying-types. Bisharp too can help out and check Psychic-types, keep Intimidate users out, and stop Trick Room. It can also support Blaziken with Sucker Punch to finish off weakened foes. Safeguard, which can be provided by Pokemon such as Cresselia and Klefki, works wonders in stopping Thunder Wave from crippling Blaziken. Trick Room counters such as Amoonguss and Taunt users such as Thundurus and Keldeo all work well to make sure Blaziken's boosts aren't turned into a disadvantage. Offensive power also helps; Mega Gengar traps and removes Psychic-, Ghost-, and Fairy-type Trick Room setters. Thundurus can tackle Flying-types easily and cripple things with Thunder Wave. Mega Charizard Y provides sun support for regular Blaziken. Finally, Helping Hand from Pokemon such as Hitmontop and Jirachi help power up Blaziken's attacks, making it even more difficult to stop.

Other Options
########

Sky Uppercut can be used as a Fighting-type STAB attack instead of the other moves listed. It is less powerful than High Jump Kick but it is a fairly reliable alternative. Earthquake can be used as a different coverage attack. Blaziken can also utilize Baton Pass to pass its Speed (and possibly Attack) boosts to a teammate. Brave Bird is another interesting coverage move that Blaziken has, but it also has annoying recoil. Blaziken can take advantage of Substitute fairly well to buy even more time to set up, especially because it forces many switches. A mixed set with Fire Blast, Overheat, Hidden Power Ice/Rock, Heat Wave, or Focus Blast can be put to use as well. For an item, Lum Berry can be used to heal Blaziken from paralysis, sleep, or poison, all of which are very crippling to it.

Checks & Counters
########
**Speed Control**: Trick Room completely shuts Blaziken down, reversing the benefits of its ability. Cresselia, Chandelure, and Aromatisse can all shrug off its attacks (though Chandelure has to watch out for Stone Edge) and set the field effect up. Paralysis also nullifies the boosts granted by Blaziken's ability. Thundurus works well for this job because it outspeeds Blaziken with Prankster.

**Higher Speed**: Priority attacks can bypass Blaziken's Speed boosts and chip off large chunks of damage. Brave Bird from Talonflame, Aqua Jet from Azumarill, and Fake Out from Mega Kangaskhan or Hitmontop can all wear Blaziken down very quickly after some recoil damage. Whimsicott and Liepard must avoid Blaziken's STAB attacks but can lock it into a harmless move with priority Encore. Tailwind can also be set on the turn Blaziken first Protects, helping opponents outspeed it and take it out before its boosts accumulate.

**Intimidate**: Intimidate users such as Landorus-T and Hitmontop work well to lower Blaziken's Attack. However, they only help against sets that lack Swords Dance.

**Offensive Type Advantage**: Earthquake from Pokemon such as Landorus-T and Garchomp hits Blaziken really hard. Drizzle weakens Blaziken a lot, and makes it even more susceptible to Water-type attacks. Kingdra in rain outspeeds +1 Blaziken and can OHKO with Muddy Water. Any STAB super effective attack will usually OHKO Blaziken, really. Some common examples include Psyshock from Latios or Latias and Hydro Pump from Rotom-W.

**Defensive Pokemon**: Cresselia can survive any attack and KO Blaziken with a super effective STAB move. Fire-types such as Mega Charizard Y and Chandelure beat Blaziken easily if it lacks Stone Edge. Flying-types and Dragon-types keep it at bay as well. Salamence, in particular, has Intimidate and resists both STAB attacks, but must watch out for Stone Edge. Jellicent and other Water-types wall it Blaziken and can hurt it with Scald.

2/2

Last edited:
Some things i tweaked in the final look-through jsyk:

• I took the Assault Vest out of Goodra because it is a bad set in this meta
  • I changed "Bisharp stops Trick Room" to "Bisharp threatens common Trick Room setters."
  • I took the mention of poison out of oo cause I never want to see another Toxic on the ladder again.
Good Work!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)