Battle Spot Blaziken Hyper Offense - Why am I so bad?

I've been playing competitively since gen 4 and I've always been decent. I do well in free battles, and I tested this team on Showdown and it did well, but I can't seem to win any rating battles to save my life, and I've shamefully dropped below 1500. Something is clearly very wrong with my team, or I'm just terrible at pokemon all of a sudden. Either way I'm very frustrated and would appreciate any help and advice I can get.

Blaziken @ Blazikenite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 4 Def / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
-High Jump Kick
-Flare Blitz
-Protect
-Stone Edge

My mega of choice. Lack of Talonflame this generation has made Mega Blaziken stronger than ever. Its main appeal to me is that it doesn't have to set up and is nearly impossible to outspeed. The set is pretty standard with stone edge keeping it from being walled by Alolan Marowak and the Charizards, as well as being something strong to hit Salamence with.

Garchomp @ Groundium Z
Ability: Rough Skin
Evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
-Earthquake
-Outrage
-Stealth Rock
-Rock Tomb

Garchomp acts as an offensive stealth rock setter. Tectonic Rage can one shot threats like Primarina and Azumarill, and Rock Tomb with good prediction can cause problems for dragon dancers and will one shot Charizard Y and Volcarona. Tectonic Rage also lets me potentially one shot Aegislash and seriously damage it through King's Shield.

Greninja @ Focus sash
Ability: Protean
Evs 4 Atk / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
-Ice Beam
-Gunk Shot
-Hydro Pump
-Dark Pulse

Greninja threatens all of the Tapus and things like Azumarill with Gunk Shot. With its sash it can beat opposing Blaziken with Hydro Pump, Dragon Dancers with Ice Beam, and things like Mega Gengar with Dark Pulse. I tried Water Shuriken but it was just too weak and unreliable so I replaced it with Hydro Pump.

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs 4 HP / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
-Thunderbolt
-Dazzling Gleam
-Grass Knot
-U-Turn

Tapu Koko is my best way of beating major threats to my team like Gyarados and Toxapex, as well as seriously threatening Azumarill. Grass Knot threatens Hippowdon however it cannot one shot if it's at full health, so it becomes a mind game of if they stealth rock expecting me to switch or just earthquake, and I almost always make the wrong choice. U-Turn lets me escape ground types but my team is overall so frail that I don't get much mileage out of it.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpDef
Relaxed Nature
-Power Whip
-Protect
-Leech Seed
-Gyro Ball

The only defensive mon I have. It pairs very well with Blaziken but it seems like everything is packing hidden power fire these days. It's one of my better answers to opposing Mimikyu as it can usually live a Z move and KO with Gyro Ball provided the disguise is broken. It can also beat most Tapus and other defensive mons like Hippowdon, Toxapex, Celesteela, and Porygon2 one on one.

Mimikyu @ Fairium Z
Ability: Disguise
EVs 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
-Swords Dance
-Shadow Sneak
-Shadow Claw
-Play Rough

Standard Mimikyu. I run Fairium Z over Ghostium Z for the extra power, though I'm considering switching back so it can hit steel types harder. I've also considered Lum Berry but I feel like Mimikyu needs the Z move to wallbreak, even at +2 it isn't the hardest hitting mon.

One of my biggest issues is picking the right lead, as my team is so frail that nothing can really switch in on anything besides Ferrothorn. So if I lead wrong it's pretty much an automatic loss. Any tips for that would be greatly appreciated. Gyarados is probably the biggest issue for my team, Intimidate is annoying and only Tapu Koko reliably beats it. Thank you in advance for any and all help, I really want to stop sucking so much.

Hey dude, i think i got the reason why you might be struggling here. The fact is that even if the team's synergy is good on paper, outside of ferrothorn your whole team is kind of frail.
You do have these hard hitting sweepers, that can't really switch reliably even in attacks that they resist. So if the opponent manages somehow to get a boost off with, for example, a dragon you'd be in a terrible position. So you have two ways here: first, you could try to control the speed a little better so that your hard hitting mons will often be attacking before, or second you can make some switches and harden the team a little bit. Let's try to do both things here lol

First thing first i'll start removing Tapu Koko for Zapdos or Landorus-T. Since you are pretty open to Ground-spam and since Greninja and Koko have a redundant role in the team.
I'd probably go with Zapdos here to pressure Water-types, and make it as bulkier as possible to support its team's fragility.

@ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Static
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 Spe
Timid Nature
- Discharge / Thunderbolt / Volt Switch
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Toxic
- Roost

The EVs in speed are to outspeed base 70, specially breloom. The rest in bulk. Toxic would mainly be for the likes of porygon 2 and cresselia, but you are covered vs both thanks to Blaziken, for p2, and Ferrothorn for Cresselia, so i'd probably keep 3 attacks and roost here.

After this i'd make a little change to gain a tool to control the speed a little more, adding Baton Pass over Stone Edge on Mega Blaziken. I know that you were hitting CharY with it, but it's pretty much the same if passing the speed to Zapdos or Garchomp, and that would be especially good in a scenario where a Mega Salamence switches in (and mega salamence can setup or just ko your blaziken even if you hit it with a stone edge) and you pass the speed to Mimikyu or Greninja, for example.

At this point i'd probably change Garchomp's item, switching the Focus Sash on it and putting a Life Orb on Greninja, that suits the mixed attacker set a lot better, since that with Baton Pass on Blaziken you could deal with those faster threats as well, but hitting harder.

Try the changes and let me know :]

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The items seem all wrong to me.

Garchomp should have the Sash
Greninja should have the Life Orb
If you decide to keep Koko then give it Electrium Z (or Fairium and give Mimikyu Ghostium)

However Solerme's suggestion of Zapdos is the most logical. Blaziken/Ferro/Zapdos is a very common and strong core, and gives you a good physically bulky mon to compliment Ferro.

You should drop Protect on Ferrothorn for Stealth Rock so you have an alternate setter to Garchomp. You'll be bringing Blaziken with Ferrothorn a lot more than with Garchomp, and having the rocks support with Blaziken is super important. I also really like Bullet Seed over Power Whip this gen.

Greninja should probably use Water Shuriken over Hydro Pump so you have a way of revenging Blaziken, Volcarona, Scarf Landorus, and Sand Rush Excadrill. However if you're open to changing that slot I would use Tapu Fini for some extra bulk on the team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)