Blaziken [QC 3/3] [GP: 2/2]

[OVERVIEW]

Thanks to its ability Speed Boost, Blaziken can create its own speed control method, and its STAB coverage allows it to beat a lot of Pokemon that are really common in the VGC metagame, such as Mega Kangaskhan, Amoonguss, Aegislash, and Heatran. However, Blaziken has poor defenses, and its mediocre base 80 Speed forces it to use Protect the first turn so it can get the Speed boost, which the opponent can capitalize on. Speed Boost also makes Blaziken very weak to Trick Room.

[SET]
set name: Mixed Attacker
move 1: Overheat / Fire Blast
move 2: Superpower
move 3: Hidden Power Ice
move 4: Protect
item: Life Orb
ability: Speed Boost
nature: Naive
evs: 68 Atk / 196 SpA / 244 Spe
ivs: 30 HP / 30 Def

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
=======

Overheat's great Base Power allows Blaziken to pick up multiple OHKOs against Pokemon that are weak to it, such as Aegislash and Amoonguss, while doing a lot of damage to neutral targets such as Volcarona and Gardevoir. Superpower is used as the secondary STAB move and hits Dark-types, Normal-types, and Steel-types that Overheat can't KO, such as Hydreigon, Mega Kangaskhan, and Heatran. Hidden Power Ice deals with many Pokemon that the Blaziken's STAB moves can't hit, such as Mega Salamence, Landorus-T, and Garchomp.

Set Details
=======

The given EV spread allows Blaziken to outspeed Choice Scarf Adamant Landorus-T at +1. The Special Attack investment allows it to OHKO uninvested Mega Salamence with Hidden Power Ice, and provides an almost guaranteed OHKO on even the bulkier Kangaskhan versions.

Usage Tips
=======

Blaziken's Protect causes quite a bit of mind games. You can lead the opponent to think you will use Protect the first turn and then fire off an attack, or you can use Protect when expecting the opponent to fall for it. Blaziken doesn't like leading, as it cannot break through some bulkier Pokemon without prior damage, and it likes to stay in the back until the point where the opponent's team is weakened enough for Blaziken to sweep.

Team Options
=========

Blaziken likes Pokemon capable of breaking through bulky Water-types so it's easier for it to sweep. Pokemon such as Rotom-W, Thundurus, and Amoonguss can do this task really well. In the same vein, Pokemon that can break through Pokemon such as Sylveon, Psychic-types, Mega Charizard Y, and Talonflame, which resist Blaziken's STAB moves and take little damage from them, give Blaziken an easier time breaking through teams; good options include Aegislash, Bisharp and Landorus-T.
Redirection support from Pokemon such as Amoonguss and Gastrodon helps Blaziken stay on the battlefield for more turns and lets it not play less defensively than it normally does.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options

===========

The mixed set can run either Low Kick or Heat Wave over Superpower and Overheat, trading the stat drops for consistency but losing a lot of power, which means that Blaziken won't be able to OHKO some Pokemon with them. A physical set of Flare Blitz, Low Kick, Rock Slide, and Protect can be run as well, but this comes at the cost of versatility and being hindered by Intimidate. Another option is a more supportive set with the move Baton Pass. With Baton Pass, Blaziken can pass a Substitute or a few Speed boosts to one of its partners. Knock Off can be used to hit some of the Pokemon that Blaziken usually struggles with, such as Cresselia and Jellicent. High Jump Kick is a really strong Fighting-type move that can 2HKO a lot of Pokemon even when resisted, at the cost of reliability and a bit of accuracy.

Check & Counters
===========
**Bulky Water-types**: Blaziken can barely do around 40% damage to some bulky Water-types, and Pokemon like Suicune, Rotom-W, Gastrodon, Jellicent and Milotic can KO back with ease.

**Fast Flying-types**: Fast Flying-types force Blaziken to Protect so it can outspeed next turn, and even then, Talonflame's priority Brave Bird makes Blaziken a easy target for it. While redirection can usually save Blaziken from being hurt by a Flying-type move, Aerilate Hyper Voice from Mega Salamence will ignore it.

**Bulky Psychic- and Fairy-types**: Bulky Psychic- and Fairy-types play the same role as bulky Water-types, although Blaziken can KO some of them if they're low on health. Depending on the set, Sylveon, Mega Gardevoir, and Clefable are pretty good checks for it. Additionally, Cresselia can ignore every single one of Blaziken's moves and hit back hard with Psychic.

**Bulky Attackers**: Due to its low defenses, Blaziken often gets OHKOed by many attacks in the VGC metagame, so any Pokemon that can take a hit and hit back hard will give Blaziken some trouble. Pokemon such as Assault Vest Landorus-T and Scrafty can take Blaziken's attacks and even KO it afterwards.

Last edited:
I know this is WIP, but i think that special set should be changed into mixed set. Fully special blaziken is mediocre imo, since it needs to rely on Focus Blast for fighting STAB. Something like this:

All-Out Mixed Attacker
####
Set Name: AO Mixed Attacker
Move 1: Overheat / Heat Wave
Move 2: Superpower
Move 3: Hidden Power Ice
Move 4: Protect
Ability: Speed Boost
Item: Life Orb / Blazikenite / Focus Sash ?
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Naive

Blaziken needs Naive to outspeed Adamant Scarf Lando at +1. With Life Orb, a spread of 4 HP / 32 Atk / 220 SpA / 252 Spe allows it to OHKO 252 hp / 4 def mega kanga with Superpower. max speed, and rest to SpA. due to HP ice, 30 atk IVs are needed, so 4 EVs are moved to HP to not waste EVs. Also im not completely sure about Focus Sash on this set. Focus Sash makes Blaziken feel powerless, while allows to survive atleast 1 hit, it might fail to OHKO bulkier kangas, lando-t and mega mence.

OR:

Another option is to combine this set together with physical set, as just "All Out Attacker" or "All Out Mixed Attacker". Something like this:

All-Out Attacker
####
Set Name: AO Attacker
Move 1: Flare Blitz / Overheat / Heat Wave
Move 2: Superpower / Low Kick
Move 3: Rock Slide / HP Ice / Knock Off (or to OO?)
Item: Life Orb / Blazikenite / Focus Sash
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe (as standard one)
Nature: Adamant / Jolly / Naive

First slot is fire stab of choice. superpower for POWER, low kick doesnt drop stats. 3rd slot is up to user. Probably mention that if you want to go more special based version that use spread of 4 HP / 32 Atk / 220 SpA / 252 Spe (or just 4hp / 252spa / 252 spe if not using LO). I dont know much about Knock Off, but on paper it really brings nothing (or atleast i feel like that), other than removing items from targets. Aegi takes it well and Blaziken can just use fire STAB to it, Fire STAB does likely still more against Mega Gengar than Knock Off, Flare Blitz / OH likely brings normal Gengar to sash anyway, and it barely tickles Cresselia. If QC members disagree with me, then its fine, but this is my opinion.

EDIT: probably its solid option to mention Stone Edge in OO, since Rock Slide might fail to OHKO bulkier Charizard Y unless Blaziken is mega with adamant nature or it runs LO. It also ignores Wide Guard, though in general Rock Slide is better in most situations

Seconding saying that fully Special Blaziken are non-existent in the format due to a lack of good Special Fighting-type STAB (Focus Blast is unacceptably unreliable in VGC). A mixed Life Orb set should be the primary one listed at the top, with a physical Mega Blaziken set listed underneath. I would structure them like this personally:

Move 1: Overheat / Fire Blast
Item: Life Orb
EVs: 60 Atk / 196 SpA / 252 Spe
IVs: 30 HP / 30 Def

Special Attack EVs KO 4 HP Mega Salamence with Hidden Power Ice. Speed EVs outspeed Landorus-T by 3 points and Mega Sceptile by 1. KOs even the bulkiest Mega Kangaskhan 93.7% of the time with Superpower.

Heat Wave isn't worth the slot imo since Blaziken's frailty means it needs to be picking up KOs rather than dealing mediocre spread damage.

Move 1: Flare Blitz
Move 2: Low Kick
Move 3: Rock Slide / Stone Edge
Item: Blazikenite
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature: Adamant / Jolly

Generally not worth subtracting from speed due to speed tying with +1 base 100s. A Jolly nature over Adamant is notable due to outspeeding max speed Ludicolo and Swampert at +1 in the rain, but the power drop is noticeable.

Knock Off is viable in the third slot, but it's team dependent. The marginal difference in power compared to Flare Blitz and the need to drop Rock-type coverage means it should probably be in OO.

Gastrodon should also be the first bulky Water-type mention in team options, particularly bulkier Sitrus Berry variants, due to Storm Drain lessening the need to play defensively for Speed Boost.

Last edited:
Seconding saying that fully Special Blaziken are non-existent in the format due to a lack of good Special Fighting-type STAB (Focus Blast is unacceptably unreliable in VGC). A mixed Life Orb set should be the primary one listed at the top, with a physical Mega Blaziken set listed underneath. I would structure them like this personally:

EVs: 60 Atk / 196 SpA / 252 Spe

Special Attack EVs KO 4 HP Mega Salamence with Hidden Power Ice. Speed EVs outspeed Landorus-T by 2 points and Mega Sceptile by 1. KOs even the bulkiest Mega Kangaskhan 93.7% of the time with Superpower.

Heat Wave isn't worth the slot imo since Blaziken's frailty means it needs to be picking up KOs rather than dealing mediocre spread damage.

Move 1: Flare Blitz
Move 2: Low Kick
Move 3: Rock Slide / Stone Edge
Item: Blazikenite
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature: Adamant / Jolly

Generally not worth subtracting from speed due to speed tying with +1 base 100s. A Jolly nature over Adamant is notable due to outspeeding max speed Ludicolo and Swampert at +1 in the rain, but the power drop is noticeable.

Knock Off is viable in the third slot, but it's team dependent. The marginal difference in power compared to Flare Blitz and the need to drop Rock-type coverage means it should probably be in OO.

Gastrodon should also be the first bulky Water-type mention in team options, particularly bulkier Sitrus Berry variants, due to Storm Drain lessening the need to play defensively for Speed Boost.
Thanks for the feedback! I use LO Blaziken most of the time. I wasn't sure about the special set at all :P
I do notice about the absence of mixed LO blaze, but i decided doing that one for the last given that i was meant to look for a good EV spread / create one and that takes a little bit of time. Big Blackout on my city didn't allow me to do it at all -_-

Jio

God is Good
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
In regards to the Mixed Blaziken spread I made a slight change
Blaziken @ Life Orb
EVs: 68 Atk / 196 SpA / 244 Spe
Naive Nature
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Superpower
- Protect

With 244 Speed you still creep on Adamant Landorus-T, but with the extra 8 Evs in Attack you get the 100% KO on Bulky Kangaskhan spreads that are designed to tank other Kangaskhan Low Kick.
68 Atk Life Orb Blaziken Superpower vs. 84 HP / 140 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 195-229 (102 - 119.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO for reference.

From experience, I would say that the Mixed Blaziken set should replaced the Physical set as the main set btw. I've known a lot of players who have done well with Mixed Blaziken in numerous events, and it was even featured on a Day 2 team at Nationals. The physical set should just be mentioned in OO at best.

Make the changes and I will QC this :]

In regards to the Mixed Blaziken spread I made a slight change
Blaziken @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Superpower
- Protect

With 244 Speed you still creep on Adamant Landorus-T, but with the extra 8 Evs in Attack you get the 100% KO on Bulky Kangaskhan spreads that are designed to tank other Kangaskhan Low Kick.
68 Atk Life Orb Blaziken Superpower vs. 84 HP / 140 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 195-229 (102 - 119.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO for reference.

From experience, I would say that the Mixed Blaziken set should replaced the Physical set as the main set btw. I've known a lot of players who have done well with Mixed Blaziken in numerous events, and it was even featured on a Day 2 team at Nationals. The physical set should just be mentioned in OO at best.

Make the changes and I will QC this :]
Applied all the changes n_n

My first QC check, let's see how this goes....

In OO, where you talk about the physical set, I think it would be nice if you mentioned that the standard moveset for physical chiken is Flare Blitz, Low Kick, Rock Slide, Protect.

In usage tips, mention that it is also possible to lead with it and try to pick up some KO's before you die. This at least worked well for me semi-low ladder on Showdown, and without speed control or wicked predictions I can't see a more experienced have no issues against this strategy either, so I feel like it's worth a mention.

And Team Options is listed twice, fix that.

After this QC 2/2 :)

Edit: After what TheMantyke said I guess it's QC 2/3 :P

Last edited:
My first QC check, let's see how this goes....

In OO, where you talk about the physical set, I think it would be nice if you mentioned that the standard moveset for physical chiken is Flare Blitz, Low Kick, Rock Slide, Protect.

In usage tips, mention that it is also possible to lead with it and try to pick up some KO's before you die. This at least worked well for me semi-low ladder on Showdown, and without speed control or wicked predictions I can't see a more experienced have no issues against this strategy either, so I feel like it's worth a mention.

And Team Options is listed twice, fix that.

After this QC 2/2 :)

Edit: After what TheMantyke said I guess it's QC 2/3 :P
Applied the changes.

blaziken!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok so mega blaziken is worth a mention in OO b/c if you don't already have a mega (this can happen) then mega blaze is a better blaziken because of the added bulk and less recoil. rash nature with enough speed to outspeed scarf landog should be good. alternatively you can use mega blaze to outspeed jolly scarf landog if you're into that kind of thing. i forget the exact ev spread i used, but it should hit the same benchmarks as regular blaziken.

sub and baton pass for OO, even though blaziken doesn't have much use for them... certainly as useful as thunder punch, really

oh and also mention low kick and heat wave if you haven't already and be sure to say that they're basically worse overheat and superpower.

looks good!!

blaziken!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok so mega blaziken is worth a mention in OO b/c if you don't already have a mega (this can happen) then mega blaze is a better blaziken because of the added bulk and less recoil. rash nature with enough speed to outspeed scarf landog should be good. alternatively you can use mega blaze to outspeed jolly scarf landog if you're into that kind of thing. i forget the exact ev spread i used, but it should hit the same benchmarks as regular blaziken.

sub and baton pass for OO, even though blaziken doesn't have much use for them... certainly as useful as thunder punch, really

oh and also mention low kick and heat wave if you haven't already and be sure to say that they're basically worse overheat and superpower.

looks good!!
......and to think i actually added Heat Wave......
all dat hype tho.
Also, you still need to check mah article in Media HQ, don't you think i have forgotten that.

oh yeah!! landorus-t should not be in checks/counters since the whole point of using blaze is to have something that can ohko aegislash and landorus at the same time reletively safely. maybe just convert that slot into 'anything that can take a hit and hit it with a super effective attack'. then you could put yache/assault vest landog there.

oh yeah and qc2/2 i guess

Tricking

MALDINI
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 6th Official Ladder Tournamentwon the 7th Official Ladder Tournamentis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
World Defender
standard colors

[OVERVIEW]

Thanks to its ability, Speed Boost, it Blaziken can create its own Speed control method, while beating a lot of Pokemon that are really common in the VGC metagame thanks to its STAB coverage, such as Kangaskhan, Amoonguss, Aegislash, and Heatran. However, Blaziken has poor defenses, (RC) and its mediocre base 80 Speed forces it to Protect the first turn so that it can get the Speed boost, which the opponent can capitalize on. Speed Boost also makes Blaziken very weak to Trick Room.

[Blaziken]
Set Name: Mixed Attacker

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves

=======

Overheat's great base power allow allows Blaziken to pick up multiple OHKOs against Pokemon that are weak to it, such as Aegislash and Amoonguss, while as well as doing a lot of damage to neutral targets like such as ("like" is fine here honestly, if the examples are only completely generic examples and nothing else you should use "such as", but if a connotation "similar to" is present in any way, "like" is fine. Don't think "such as" would have been wrong here either, but no reason to remove "like") Volcarona and Gardevoir. Superpower as the secondary STAB move hits super effectively Dark-types, Normal-, (AC) types and Steel-types that Overheat can't KO get, such as Hydreigon, Kangaskhan, and Heatran. Hidden Power Ice as coverage move can hits deals with a lot of many Pokemon that aren't threatened by Blaziken's STAB moves the aforementioned moves can't hit, such as Mega Salamence, Landorus-T, and Garchomp.

Set Details
=======

The following EVs ("EV" spread if anything, but that's pretty much implied anyways... you're right in seeing that "following" doesn't work here, but "given" would be a more suitable fix) spread allows Blaziken to outspeed Scarf Adamant Landorus-T after a boost in Speed at +1. The amount of Special Attack allows it to OHKO 4 HP / 0 Sp.Def uninvested (ya :] ) Mega Salamence with Hidden Power Ice, and allows it to have an almost guaranteed OHKO on even against the bulkier Kangaskhan versions. (with Overheat or Superpower? :o)

Usage Tips
=======

Blaziken's Protect offers quite a bit of causes some mindgames. You can lead the opponent to think you will use Protect on the first turn, (AC) and so that you can either fire off an attack, (RC) or you can use Protect expecting the opponent to fall for it. (couple things going wrong with structure here... your opponent's expectation that you'd use Protect doesn't allow you to make them fall for it, if I'm making sense here x__x as far as sentence structure was concerned the original was honestly fine) Blaziken doesn't like leading, (AC) as it cannot break through some any (don't touch content please, and this honestly sounds like an overstatement now :> )bulkier Pokemon without prior damage, and whereas it likes prefers to stay in the back until the point where as long as (nope, now you're saying it should remain in the back when the opposing team is weakened, which is kinda the opposite of what you want) the opponent's team is weakened enough for Blaziken to sweep.

Team Options
=========

Blaziken likes Pokemon capable of breaking through bulky Water-types so it's easier for it to sweep. Pokemon such as Rotom-W, Thundurus, (AC) and Amoonguss can do this task act this role really well. In the same topic addition, (errr, a tad too rigorous because it was pretty clear what he was getting at, and that worked :T )Pokemon such as Aegislash, Bisharp, (AC) and Landorus-T that can break through Pokemon like Sylveon, Psychic-(hyphen)types, Mega Charizard Y, and Talonflame, which resist Blaziken's STABs and take little damage from them such as Aegislash, Bisharp and Landorus-T give Blaziken an easier time to attempt a sweep breaking through teams.
Redirection support from Pokemon such as the likes of Amoonguss and Gastrodon help helps Blaziken to stay in the battlefield healthy for more turns and lets it not play as defensively as it normally does. (help to -> helps was valid, but the other changes here are a tad too rigorous really :T )

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options

===========

The mixed set can run either Low Kick or Heat Wave over Superpower and Overheat, (RC) by trading the stat drops for more consistent moves, at the trade of although losing (on the right track here by eliminating the repetition, but this fix is just way too chunky :T) a lot of power which means that Blaziken won't be able to OHKO some Pokemon with them. A physical set can be ran run as well, but at the cost of versatility and being hindered by Intimidate. A set of with Flare Blitz, Low Kick, Rock Slide and Protect is usually preferred for this variant.
Another set that can be ran run is a more supportive set (again, on the right track, but there are more elegant ways to eliminate the repetition of "set") with the move Baton Pass. With Baton Pass, Blaziken can pass a Substitute or a few speed Speed boosts to a teammate. one of its partners. Knock Off is a move that can be used to hits some of the Pokemon that Blaziken usually struggles it, such as Cresselia and Jellicent. High Jump Kick is a really strong Fighting-type move that can 2HKO a lot of Pokemon even when resisted, at the cost of reliability and a bit of accuracy.

Check & Counters
===========
**Bulky Water-types**: Lemme be honest, Blaziken can barely do around 40% to some bulky Water-types and Pokemon like such as ("like" is again fine here, but good fixes otherwise) Suicune, Rotom-W, Gastrodon, Jellicent, (AC) and Milotic can KO it back with ease. like having fun with the fire chicken.

**Fast Flying-types**: This kind of Pokemon force forces Blaziken to use Protect so that it can outspeed afterwards next turn, and even then, Talonflame KOs KOes with priority Brave Bird which makes making Blaziken a an easy target for it. If you think Redirection can save Blaziken from being hurt by a Flying move, think twice. but Aerilate Hyper Voice from Mega Salamence will ignore it your redirection.

**Bulky Psychic- and Fairy-types**: The same as than bulky waters, but the main difference is that if they're at pretty low HP in health, Blaziken can KO some of them. Depending on the set, Sylveon, Gardevoir, (AC) and Clefable are pretty good checks for it. But However (don't forget the comma) Cresselia, as usual, can ignore every single one of Blaziken's move and hit back hard with Psychic. Latias, although being a little bit underused and irrelevant at the moment, can wall both of Blaziken's STABs and KO it back with a Psychic move, (AC) too (I think Draco KOs, not sure though).

**Anything that can take a hit and hit back hard**: Due to its low defenses, Blaziken often gets often OHKOed by many attacks in the VGC metagame, so any Pokemon that can take a hit and hit back hard will give Blaziken some troubles.

TDP note: lots of good edits and good enough as far as the number of subjective changes goes, but be sure to look over the final check + my notes :]

Last edited by a moderator:
doing this quickly before i get ninjad by rhytms/tricking
____

yea nvm fuck tricking
AMcheck add remove coms
[OVERVIEW] (you can unbold titles)

Thanks to its ability, Speed Boost, it Blaziken can create its own Speed control method, (RC) while beating a lot of Pokemon that are really common in the VGC metagame thanks to its STAB coverage, such as Kangaskhan, Amoonguss, Aegislash, and Heatran. However, Blaziken has poor defenses, and its mediocre base 80 Speed forces it to use Protect the first turn so it can get the Speed boost, which the opponent can capitalize on. Speed Boost also makes Blaziken very weak to Trick Room.

[Blaziken] [SET]
Set
name: Mixed Attacker

n
ature: Naive
iv
s: 30 HP / 30 Def

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves

=======

Overheat's great base power allows Blaziken to pick up multiple OHKOs against Pokemon that are weak to it, such as Aegislash and Amoonguss, while doing a lot of damage to neutral targets like Volcarona and Gardevoir. Superpower as the secondary STAB move hits Dark-types, Normal-types and Steel-types that Overheat can't get, such as Hydreigon, Kangaskhan, and Heatran. Hidden Power Ice as coverage move can has great neutral coverage and (this actually changes content, and I strongly doubt HP Ice is used for its neutral coverage) hits many Pokemon that resist Blaziken's STAB combination the aforementioned moves can't hit, such as Mega Salamence, Landorus-T, and Garchomp.

Set Details
=======

The following EV spread allows Blaziken to outspeed Scarf Adamant Landorus-T at +1. The amount of given Special Attack investment allows it to OHKO 4 HP / 0 SpDef (remove period) Mega Salamence with Hidden Power Ice, (RC) and allows it to have an almost guaranteed OHKO on even the bulkier Kangaskhan versions.

Usage Tips
=======

Blaziken's Protect offers set up ("sets up" if anything, but other verbs are more appropriate here) quite a bit of mindgames. You can lead the opponent to think you will use Protect the first turn and fire off an attack, or you can Protect expecting the opponent to fall for it. Blaziken doesn't like leading, (AC) as it cannot break through some bulkier Pokemon without prior damage, and it likes to stay in the back until the point where the opponent's team is weakened enough for Blaziken to sweep.

Team Options
=========

Blaziken likes Pokemon that are capable of breaking through bulky Water-types so it's easier for it to sweep; (SC) Pokemon such as Rotom-W, Thundurus and Amoonguss can do fulfill this task really well. In the same topic Likewise (personal, "on the same topic is fine as well"), Pokemon that can break through Pokemon like Sylveon, Psychic-types (add hyphen), Mega Charizard Y, and Talonflame, which resist Blaziken's STABs attacks, (AC) and or Pokemon that take little damage from them such as Aegislash, Bisharp, (AC) and Landorus-T give Blaziken an easier time breaking through (used before as well so it would be pretty to use something else xd) teams.
Redirection support from Pokemon such as Amoonguss and Gastrodon helps Blaziken to stay in on the battlefield for more turns and lets it not play as defensively as it normally does.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options

===========

The mixed set can run either (the mixed set is the only listed one so no need to mention it) Low Kick or Heat Wave can be run over Superpower and or Overheat, by trading the stat drops for more consistent less power and the chance of moves, at the trade of a lot of power which means that Blaziken won't be able to OHKOing some Pokemon with them. A physical set can be ran as well, but at the cost of losing versatility and gaining a weakness to being hindered by Intimidate. A set of Flare Blitz, Low Kick, Rock Slide and Protect is usually preferred for this variant. Another set that can be ran is a A more supportive set with the move Baton Pass can be ran as well, (AC) With Baton Pass, Blaziken can passing a Substitute or a few Speed boosts to one of its partners. Knock Off is a move that can be used to hit some of the Pokemon that Blaziken usually struggles against it, such as Cresselia and Jellicent. High Jump Kick is a really strong Fighting-type move that can 2HKO a lot of even Pokemon that resist it even when resisted, at the cost of reliability (define better maybe?) and a bit of accuracy.

Check & Counters (ok, some of those rewordings are a tad too drastic imo... not everything's unsalvageable :p)
===========
[add blank line]
**Bulky Waters Water-types**: Lemme be honest, Blaziken can barely do around 40% to some bulky waters, and Pokemon like Suicune, Rotom-W, Gastrodon, Jellicent and Milotic like having fun with the fire chicken.
Blaziken struggles against bulky Water-types such as Suicune, Rotom-W, Gastrodon, Jellicent and Milotic, which can force it out with their STAB moves (or something similar, whatever)
[add blank line]
**Fast Flying-types (add hyphen)**: This kind of Pokemon forces Blaziken to use Protect so it can outspeed next turn. (period) and even then, However, Talonflame and Mega Salamence can still OHKOs Blaziken thanks to Brave Bird having priority and Hyper Voice ignoring redirection, respectively. with priority Brave Bird which makes Blaziken a easy target for it. If you think redirection can save Blaziken from being hurt by a Flying move, think twice. Aerilate Hyper Voice from Mega Salamence will ignore your redirection.
[add blank line]

**Bulky Psychic- and Fairy-types Psychic/Fairy Types**: The same than bulky waters, but the main difference is that if they're pretty low in health, Blaziken can KO some of them. Depending on the set, Sylveon, Gardevoir, (AC) and Clefable are pretty good checks to Blaziken, but they can be KOed if at low health for it. But Thanks to its bulk, Cresselia, as usual, can ignore every single one of Blaziken's moves and hit back hard with Psychic. Latias, although not as common being a little bit underused and irrelevant at the moment, can wall resists both of Blaziken's STABs moves and can KO back with a Psychic-type move too (I think Draco KOs, not sure though) (Latias needs at least 210 EVs in Special Attack to have a 100% chance to OHKO Blaziken; mention this if you think it's relevant).
[add blank line]
**Anything that can take a hit and hit back hardRevenge Killers**: ("revenge killers" won't have to take a hit, so "bulky attackers" would have been better) Due to its low defenses, Blaziken often gets OHKOed by many attacks in the VGC metagame, so any Pokemon that can take a hit and hit back hard will give Blaziken some trouble.

TDP note: many good changes, but especially at the end, take care to leave as many original stuff in as possible T_T even if the writing is subpar, it often is possible to salvage many more bits than you'd think, and even if it has to be rewritten entirely, try to use the writer's original vernacular :]

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
unbold all headers pls

amcheck
[OVERVIEW]

Thanks to its ability, Speed Boost, it Blaziken can create its own method of speed Speed ("Speed" is lowercase in this context from what Snobalt told me) (in the phrase "speed control", yup.. rather refers to momentum / turn order in this context) control method, while also (subjective but flows better) (agreed) beating a lot of common Pokemon that are really common (flows better imo)(not agreed, would have been fine without the "in the metagame" phrase but not with it) in the VGC metagame, such as Kangaskhan, Amoonguss, Aegislash, and Heatran, thanks to its STAB coverage, such as Kangaskhan, Amoonguss, Aegislash, and Heatran. However, Blaziken has poor defenses, and its mediocre base 80 Speed forces it to use Protect on the first turn so it can get the boost in Speed boost (just so it isnt confused with the actual ability), (don't think that'll be much of an issue) which the opponent can capitalize on. Speed Boost also makes Blaziken very weak to Trick Room teams.

[Blaziken] [SET]
Set Nname: Mixed Attacker
Mmove 1: Overheat / Fire Blast
Mmove 2: Superpower
Mmove 3: Hidden Power Ice
Mmove 4: Protect
Aitem: Life Orb
a
bility: Speed Boost
EV
ev
s: 68 Atk / 196 SpA / 244 Spe
Nature: Naives: 30 HP / 30 Def

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves

=======

Overheat's great base power allow Base Power allows Blaziken to pick up multiple OHKOs against Pokemon that are weak to it, such as Aegislash and Amoonguss, while also dealing (again, flows better imo) doing a lot of damage to neutral targets like Volcarona and Gardevoir. Superpower is used as the secondary STAB move, and it hits the Dark-types, Normal-types, and Steel-types that Overheat can't get hit super effectively or for sufficient or any damage ("get" makes it sound like they're all immune to Overheat imo), such as Hydreigon, Kangaskhan, and Heatran. Hidden Power Ice as coverage move can hit many Pokemon that the aforementioned other moves can't hit, such as Mega Salamence, Landorus-T, and Garchomp.

Set Details
=======

The following EV spread allows Blaziken to outspeed Choice Scarf Adamant Landorus-T at +1. The amount of Special Attack EVs allows it to OHKO 4 HP / 0 Sp.Def SpD Mega Salamence with Hidden Power Ice, and allows it to have an almost guaranteed OHKO on even the bulkier variants of Kangaskhan versions. (last one is unnecessary)

Usage Tips
=======

Blaziken's Protect offers provides quite a bit of opportunities for mind (add space) games. You can lead make the opponent to (subjective) think that Blaziken you will use Protect the first turn and then instead fire off an attack, or you can Protect, expecting the opponent to fall for it. Blaziken doesn't like leading isn't a good lead, as it cannot break through some bulkier Pokemon without taking prior damage, and it likes to stay in the back should avoid being sent in until the you're at the point in the game where the opponent's team is weakened enough for Blaziken to sweep.

Team Options
=========

Blaziken likes Pokemon that are capable of breaking through bulky Water-types so that it's easier for it to sweep. Pokemon such as Rotom-W, Thundurus, and Amoonguss can do this task really well. In the same topic, Pokemon Teammates that can break through Pokemon like Sylveon, Psychic-types (add hyphen), Mega Charizard Y, and Talonflame, which resist Blaziken's STABs, and take little damage from them such as Aegislash, Bisharp, and Landorus-T give Blaziken an easier time breaking through teams. (This sentence is still worded sort of oddly; remove like break) Redirection support from Pokemon such as Amoonguss and Gastrodon helps Blaziken to stay with staying in the battlefield for more turns and lets it not play as less defensively as than it normally does.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options

=============

The A mixed set can be run with either Low Kick or Heat Wave over Superpower and Overheat,; however, (comma -> semicolon) by trading the stat drops for more consistent moves, at the trade of a lot cost of power which (this actually needed a couple more fixes, there's not really a causal link here, consistency doesn't necessarily come at the cost of power, see Meteor Mash vs. Earthquake or w/e better example comes to mind) means that Blaziken won't be able to OHKO some Pokemon with them moves. (remove line break) A physical set with Flare Blitz, Low Kick, Rock Slide, and Protect can be ran run as well, but at the cost of versatility and with the risk of being hindered by Intimidate. A set of Flare Blitz, Low Kick, Rock Slide and Protect is usually preferred for this variant. (remove line break) Another support with Baton Pass (couple clunky things here, and "support with Baton Pass" probs doesn't work in an adjectival sense) set that can also be ran run is a more supportive set with the move Baton Pass., (period into comma) With Baton Pass, to allow Blaziken can to pass a Substitute or a few speed boosts in Speed to one of its partners. (remove line break) Knock Off is a move that can be used to hit some of the Pokemon that Blaziken usually struggles it with, such as Cresselia and Jellicent. (remove blank line) High Jump Kick is a really strong Fighting-type move that can 2HKO a lot of Pokemon even when they resist it resisted, at the cost of reliability and a bit of accuracy.

Check & and Counters
===================
(add blank line)

**Bulky Waters Water-types**: Lemme be honest, Blaziken can barely do around deal even 40% damage to some bulky waters Water-types, and Pokemon like Suicune, Rotom-W, Gastrodon, Jellicent, and Milotic like having fun with the fire chicken.
(add blank line)
**Fast Flying-types (hyphen)**: This kind of Pokemon Fast Flying-types force Blaziken to Protect to get the boost in Speed from Speed Boost so that it can outspeed them the next turn, and even then, Talonflame KOes it with priority Brave Bird, which makes Blaziken an easy target for it. If you think that redirection support can save Blaziken from being hurt by a Flying-type move, think twice. Moves that hit both Pokemon on the field such as Aerilate Mega Salamence's Aerilate-boosted Hyper Voice from Mega Salamence will ignore your the redirection.
(add blank line)
**Bulky Psychic/Fairy Types Psychic- and Fairy-types**: The same than bulky waters, Bulky Psychic- and Fairy-types play the same role as bulky Water-types, but the main difference is that, if they're pretty low in health, Blaziken can KO some of them. Depending on the set, Sylveon, Mega Gardevoir, and Clefable are pretty good checks for it. But However, Cresselia can, as usual, can ignore every single one of Blaziken's moves and hit it back hard with Psychic. Latias, although being a little bit underused and irrelevant at the moment (not time-y things), can wall both of Blaziken's STAB moves and KO back with a Psychic-type move too (I think Draco KOs, not sure though) (don't mention it if you dont know).
(add blank line)
**Anything that can take a hit and hit back hard Bulky Attackers**: Due to its low defenses, Blaziken often gets OHKOed by many attacks in the VGC metagame, so any Pokemon that can take a hit and hit back hard bulky attackers (such as?) will give Blaziken some trouble.
Snobalt P Squared The Dutch Plumberjack

E: SORRY I DIDN'T KNOW TRICKING AND HAUND POSTED TOO LOL THE FORUMS DIDNT UPDATE FOR ME YET

TDP note: not half bad, not really a specific thing i can point towards, just some suboptimal prose fixes and accuracy things, so I just recommend you read through my notes and the main check :]

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
not sure if i'll get this done before i pass out but placeholder etc.

as a note to the amcheckers for how i'm gonna do this, since obviously working on top of multiple amchecks isn't gonna work, i'll be "fusing" them by picking good changes while (if necessary) adding my own and will leave some general feedback for each of you afterwards, hopefully with some more detailed feedback as well (although i could just edit that into your checks if i'm feeling edgy)

remove add (Capitalize / Fix) (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 1/2
[OVERVIEW] (ya unbold em please)

Thanks to its ability (RC) Speed Boost, it Blaziken can create its own speed control method, while beating its STAB coverage allows it to beat a lot of Pokemon that are really common in the VGC metagame thanks to its STAB coverage, such as Mega Kangaskhan, Amoonguss, Aegislash, and Heatran. However, Blaziken has poor defenses, and its mediocre base 80 Speed forces it to use Protect the first turn so it can get the Speed boost, which the opponent can capitalize on. Speed Boost also makes Blaziken very weak to Trick Room.

[Blaziken] [SET]
set name
: Mixed Attacker
evs
: 68 Atk / 196 SpA / 244 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves

=======

Overheat's great Base Power allows Blaziken to pick up multiple OHKOs against Pokemon that are weak to it, such as Aegislash and Amoonguss, while doing a lot of damage to neutral targets like Volcarona and Gardevoir. Superpower is used as the secondary STAB move and hits Dark-types, Normal-types and Steel-types that Overheat can't get KO, such as Hydreigon, Mega Kangaskhan, and Heatran. Hidden Power Ice as coverage move can hit deals with many Pokemon that the aforementioned Blaziken's STAB moves can't hit, such as Mega Salamence, Landorus-T, and Garchomp.

Set Details
=======

The following given EV spread allows Blaziken to outspeed Choice Scarf Adamant Landorus-T at +1. The amount of Special Attack investment allows it to OHKO 4 HP / 0 Sp.Def uninvested Mega Salamence with Hidden Power Ice (RC) and allows it to have provides an almost guaranteed OHKO on even the bulkier Kangaskhan versions.

Usage Tips
=======

Blaziken's Protect offers causes quite a bit of mind(space)games. You can lead the opponent to think you will use Protect the first turn and then fire off an attack instead, or you can use Protect expecting the opponent to fall for it. Blaziken doesn't like leading, (AC) as it cannot break through some bulkier Pokemon without prior damage, and it likes to stay in the back until the point where the opponent's team is weakened enough for Blaziken to sweep.

Team Options
=========

Blaziken likes Pokemon capable of breaking through bulky Water-types so it's easier for it to sweep. Pokemon such as Rotom-W, Thundurus, (AC) and Amoonguss can do this task really well. In the same topic vein, Pokemon that can break through Pokemon like Sylveon, Psychic-types, (add hyphen) Mega Charizard Y, and Talonflame, which resist Blaziken's STABs and take little damage from them, (AC) such as Aegislash, Bisharp and Landorus-T give Blaziken an easier time breaking through teams; good options include Aegislash, Bisharp, and Landorus-T. Redirection support from Pokemon such as Amoonguss and Gastrodon helps Blaziken to stay in on the battlefield for more turns and lets it not play as less defensively as than it normally does.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options (remove line breaks)

===========

The mixed set can run either Low Kick or Heat Wave over Superpower and Overheat, by trading the stat drops for more consistent moves, at the trade of consistency but losing a lot of power, (AC) which means that Blaziken won't be able to OHKO some Pokemon with them. A physical set of Flare Blitz, Low Kick, Rock Slide, and Protect can be ran run as well, but this comes at the cost of versatility and being hindered by Intimidate. A set of Flare Blitz, Low Kick, Rock Slide and Protect is usually preferred for this variant. Another set that can be ran option is a more supportive set with the move Baton Pass, (comma) With Baton Pass, allowing Blaziken can to pass a Substitute or a few Speed boosts to one of its partners. Knock Off is a move that can be used to hit some of the Pokemon that Blaziken usually struggles it with, such as Cresselia and Jellicent. High Jump Kick is a really strong Fighting-type move that can 2HKO a lot of Pokemon even when resisted, at the cost of reliability (ya you probably mean something else here bc right now you're saying the same thing twice) and a bit of accuracy.

Check & Counters (add blank lines after every item)
===========
**Bulky Water-types**: Lemme be honest, Blaziken can barely do around 40% to some bulky waters Water-types, and Pokemon like Suicune, Rotom-W, Gastrodon, Jellicent, (AC) and Milotic like having fun with the fire chicken can KO it back with ease. (or something less casual in any case)

**Fast Flying-types**: (add hyphen) This kind of Pokemon Fast Flying-types force Blaziken to Protect so it can outspeed them next turn, and even then, Talonflame's KOs with priority Brave Bird which makes Blaziken a easy target for it. If you think While redirection can usually save Blaziken from being hurt by a Flying-type move, think twice. Aerilate Hyper Voice from Mega Salamence will ignore your redirection it.

**Bulky Psychic- and Fairy-types**: (add hyphens) Bulky Psychic- and Fairy-types play the same than role as bulky waters Water-types, but the main difference is that if they're pretty low in health, although Blaziken can KO some of them if they're low on health. Depending on the set, Sylveon, Gardevoir, (AC) and Clefable are pretty good checks for to it. But Additionally, (AC) Cresselia, as usual, can ignore every single one of Blaziken's moves and hit back hard with Psychic. Latias, although being a little bit underused and irrelevant at the moment, (no time-sensitive elements, so remove "at the moment", or if it's really just a minor current metagame shift just remove it altogether) can wall resists both of Blaziken's STAB types and can KO back with a Psychic move too (I think Draco KOs, not sure though). (verify please :>)

**Anything that can take a hit and hit back hard Bulky Attackers**: Due to its low defenses, Blaziken often gets OHKOed by many attacks in the VGC metagame, so any Pokemon that can take a hit and hit back hard will give Blaziken some trouble. (some examples would be appreciated too)
i'm edgy, busy, and sorta stressed and feel like "pitting amchecks against each other" in a feedback paragraph here won't be too conducive to you guys improving so although people probably shouldn't follow my lead here i'll be editing some feedback directly your posts if you guys don't mind... i'll only comment on the changes you guys did make bc if you missed something you should be able to see it in the full check :>

Last edited:

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
What i meant is, with the omnipresent Protect, High Jump Kick isn't that reliable. Accuracy doesn't matter here :>
HJK really isn't any less "reliable" than other moves in this way though, Protect blocks them either way, it just comes at a greater cost if you happened to be using HJK. If you want to convey that side effect, make it "although it comes with greater risk and a minor accuracy loss", which should work fine (struggling to preserve your wording here v.v)

Winry

Super Graduate-Level Napper
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
looks like you implemented tdp's check so i'm going to do 2/2, next time please remember to change the title to gp 1/2 or at least make a post saying "implemented" so this can get done faster !

[OVERVIEW]

Thanks to its ability Speed Boost, Blaziken can create its own speed control method, while and its STAB coverage allows it to beat a lot of Pokemon that are really common in the VGC metagame thanks to its STAB coverage, such as Mega Kangaskhan, Amoonguss, Aegislash, and Heatran. However, Blaziken has poor defenses, and its mediocre base 80 Speed forces it to use Protect the first turn so it can get the Speed boost, which the opponent can capitalize on. Speed Boost also makes Blaziken very weak to Trick Room.

[SET]
set name: Mixed Attacker

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
=======

Overheat's great Base Power allows Blaziken to pick up multiple OHKOs against Pokemon that are weak to it, such as Aegislash and Amoonguss, while doing a lot of damage to neutral targets like such as Volcarona and Gardevoir. Superpower is used as the secondary STAB move and hits Dark-types, Normal-types, [ac] and Steel-types that Overheat can't KO, such as Hydreigon, Mega Kangaskhan, and Heatran. Hidden Power Ice deals with many Pokemon that the Blaziken's STAB moves can't hit, such as Mega Salamence, Landorus-T, and Garchomp.

Set Details
=======

The given EV spread allows Blaziken to outspeed Choice Scarf Adamant Landorus-T at +1. The Special Attack investment allows it to OHKO uninvested Mega Salamence with Hidden Power Ice, [rc] and provides an almost guaranteed OHKO on even the bulkier Kangaskhan versions.

Usage Tips
=======

Blaziken's Protect causes quite a bit of mind games. You can lead the opponent to think you will use Protect the first turn and then fire off an attack, or you can use Protect when expecting the opponent to fall for it. Blaziken doesn't like leading, as it cannot break through some bulkier Pokemon without prior damage, and it likes to stay in the back until the point where the opponent's team is weakened enough for Blaziken to sweep.

Team Options
=========

Blaziken likes Pokemon capable of breaking through bulky Water-types so it's easier for it to sweep. Pokemon such as Rotom-W, Thundurus, and Amoonguss can do this task really well. In the same vein, Pokemon that can break through Pokemon like such as Sylveon, Psychic-types, Mega Charizard Y, and Talonflame, which resist Blaziken's STABs STAB moves and take little damage from them, give Blaziken an easier time breaking through teams; good options include Aegislash, Bisharp and Landorus-T.
Redirection support from Pokemon such as Amoonguss and Gastrodon helps Blaziken stay on the battlefield for more turns and lets it not play less defensively than it normally does.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options

===========

The mixed set can run either Low Kick or Heat Wave over Superpower and Overheat, trading the stat drops for consistency but losing a lot of power, which means that Blaziken won't be able to OHKO some Pokemon with them. A physical set of Flare Blitz, Low Kick, Rock Slide, [ac] and Protect can be run as well, but this comes at the cost of versatility and being hindered by Intimidate. Another option is a more supportive set with the move Baton Pass. With Baton Pass, Blaziken can pass a Substitute or a few Apeed Speed boosts to one of its partners. Knock Off can be used to hit some of the Pokemon that Blaziken usually struggles with, such as Cresselia and Jellicent. [no need for new paragraph here] High Jump Kick is a really strong Fighting-type move that can 2HKO a lot of Pokemon even when resisted, at the cost of reliability greater risk and a bit of accuracy.

Check & Counters
===========
**Bulky Water-types**: Blaziken can barely do around 40% damage to some bulky waters Water-types, and Pokemon like such as Suicune, Rotom-W, Gastrodon, Jellicent and Milotic can KO back with ease.
[add line]
**Fast Flying-types**: Fast Flying-types force Blaziken to Protect so it can outspeed next turn, and even then, Talonflame's priority Brave Bird makes Blaziken a easy target for it. While redirection can usually save Blaziken from being hurt by a Flying-type move, Aerilate Hyper Voice from Mega Salamence will ignore it.
[add line]
**Bulky Psychic- and Fairy-types**: Bulky Psychic- and Fairy-types play the same role as bulky waters Water-types, although Blaziken can KO some of them if they're low on health. Depending on the set, Sylveon, Mega Gardevoir, and Clefable are pretty good checks for it. Additionally, Cresselia can ignore every single one of Blaziken's moves and hit back hard with Psychic.
[add line]
**Bulky Attackers**: Due to its low defenses, Blaziken often gets OHKOed by many attacks in the VGC metagame, so any Pokemon that can take a hit and hit back hard will give Blaziken some trouble. Pokemon such as Assault Vest Landorus-T and Scrafty can take Blaziken's attacks and even KO it afterwards.
2/2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)