Blaziken (Swords Dance)

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm assuming Low Kick would be used in more instances than Superpower. Perhaps Low Kick should be considered on the set?

Low Kick should be the main option. I'll just show you some calcs where it matters (like, where Superpower was needed for the KO), as obviously the reasoning is "as long as it still gets KOes".

All calcs are with +2 Life Orb Low Kick unless specified.

Milotic:

Jolly: 84.77% - 100.00% (80% OHKO with SR)
Adamant: 93.15% - 109.90% (OHKO with SR)

Omastar:

Jolly: 87.21% - 102.91% (92% OHKO with SR)
Adamant: 94.19% - 111.63% (OHKO with SR)

Blastoise (Only "relevant" set back):

*ThunderPunch is used here.

Jolly: 80.11% - 94.48% (46% OHKO with SR)
Adamant: 87.29% - 103.31% (92% OHKO with SR)

Since the only seriously "big deal" that it loses out on is Blastoise, I think it should definitely be the main option. Being able to sweep without lowering your defenses, and more importantly, without lowering your attack are HUGE with this set.

I still prefer Blaze Kick over Flare Blitz. Maybe just because I like Blaziken too much too die, but I just like the fact that I won't cripple myslef as much as with Flare Blitz. I really liked the idea though!

Keep it up!

<p>The best way to deal with this set is softening up Blaziken with flinch and priority. Ambipom is a great check because it has Fake Out to deal damage, as well as Return to follow up a 2HKO on Blaziken. Hitmontop also has Fake Out and Mach Punch to reduce Blaziken's HP. Azumarill can threaten Blaziken with a STAB Aqua Jet, while Blaziken can't even muster a 2HKO with a boosted Quick Attack. On a balanced team, Weezing makes an exceptional partner to Blaziken [there wasn't a space between the two words] when it comes to handling these threats, as it can use Will-O-Wisp as well as lure in Chansey to give Blaziken a good opportunity to get a free Swords Dance. Cloyster fits in with Blaziken due to its ability to set up Spikes, while scaring away Azumarill. However, from an offensive standpoint, Choice Scarf Rotom makes an exceptional partner because it can take their priority hits from them, and can threaten them with a STAB Thunderbolt.</p>

<p>On an offensive team, Curse Registeel makes an excellent partner because Blaziken lures in Milotic, Altaria, and Weezing - all three are common Haze users. With Haze users out of the picture, Registeel can boot up Curse easily without having its precious boosts removed. Feraligatr also makes a good partner
because it shares many counters with Blaziken and will appreciate having them significantly weakened or fainted.</p>

Maybe outline which counters would be weakened?

awesome write up. I tested it too and it works like a charm. I think quick attack is the most important in the last slot, because the amount of dugtrio coming in was incredible. I used it with low kick though. Mabye you could add that raikou makes a good partner, since it loves having duggy lured out and killed. It also beats flying pokemon like moltres, as well as slowbro. Also, whats with all the roserade mentions? It's OU, isnt it?

I forgot this hasn't been uploaded yet lol

I think the last slot should be Quick Attack first, then ThunderPunch without Stone Edge. Moltres dies to TP with SR down (hell it nearly dies without SR if you’re Adamant) and Superpower wrecks Altaria. QA hits Dugtrio which has gained quite a bit of popularity recently, and also hits Alakazam/Sceptile/friends.

I also think Flare Blitz should be Fire Punch. Uxie might be faster than you and so you don’t want to stay in on it anyways. Claydol is rare as fuck. Spiritomb can’t do anything back to you so you can just SD again and OHKO or just 2HKO plus lots of Spiritomb run SDef now (and have been for the past half year so I don’t think it’s a metagame trend); 252/0 takes 102% min from Adamant FP so Jolly KOes with SR most of the time. the recoil blows a lot and means you won't be able to sweep as much against most stall teams.

Swords Dance
Low Kick / Superpower
Fire Punch
Quick Attack / ThunderPunch

I didn't grammar check this because the set comments are woah ridiculously long maybe it's still the old format. stuff like comparing moves that aren't slashed and damage calcs are usually AC material.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Whoostle, why not Blaze Kick? It's statistically better than fire punch, has the crit rate, etc. Also, Baton Pass should be an option in the last slot.

uhh idk... making me do all the goddamn work -.-

list of pokemon who you would potentially use a fire attack against instead of quick attack thunderpunch or low kick

jolly nature, +0, life orb

252/40+ Leafeon - 63.5% - 75.4%
252/0 Mismagius - 70.4% - 82.7%
252/0 Rotom - 61.5% - 73%
252/252+ Rotom - 41.8% - 49.7%
252/252+ Tangrowth - 46% - 55%
252/252+ Torterra - 53.8% - 64%
252/0 Toxicroak - 71.6% - 84.6%
0/0 Toxicroak - 86.3% - 102%
252/252+ Venusaur - 67.6% - 79.7%
252/252+ Weezing - 28.7% - 34.1%
252/0+ Weezing -35.3% - 41.6%

the nature and attack don't matter for leafeon, torterra, 0 hp toxicroak, and venusaur. it also doesn't matter vs weezing since you 2hko with every combination at +2 unless you want to use flare blitz (who which sucks). if you use adamant fire punch or jolly blaze kick, you ohko tangrowth at +2 guaranteed instead of just most of the time after sr. if you use adamant blaze kick, you have a decent chance to ohko mismagius and max hp toxicroak at +0 and max/max+ rotom at +2.

i don't think it's worth the miss chance cause the last three pokemon probably won't be taking on sd blaziken too often. i guess if i knew what nature i had to use on a specific team, and i wanted to be sure to get specific ohkoes because of my team, i would make a decision between fire punch and blaze kick. but that is pretty specialized and isn't the "most applicable" situation, so for the analysis i would just stick with fire punch.

edit: forgot a few pokmons
0/0 Mismagius - 87.4% - 102.7%
0/0 Rotom - 77.6% - 92.1%

so i guess it would be useful to KO mismagius after sr + leftovers with jolly. you need adamant + blaze kick to guarantee the ohko on rotom with the same conditions (96.3% - 113.7%).

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
i like flare blitz (the move and the user). i've been convinced to change it in the past for the sole reason of hitting stuff for hard damage (unboosted). low kick or superpower are weak options when they are not boosted. flare blitz on the other hands provides that immediate power if all else fails.

jolly Flare Blitz
+0 vs 0 HP Toxicroak - 111% - 130.8% FP - 69.5% - 82.1%
+0 vs 252 HP Mismagius - 112.3% - 132.7% FP - 70.4% - 82.7%
+0 vs. 252/252 Bold Rotom - 67.1% - 79.3% FP - 41.8% - 49.7%
+0 vs. 212/0 Impish Torterra - 87.5% - 103.1% FP - 55.2% - 65.6%

..to name a few

ya i got tired, but my point has been given across. In a nutshell, Flare Blitz adds the immediate power you can loosely dish out to damage stuff for hard damage. Blaziken is not always going to grab a boost, especially in this environment. When it does though, Flare Blitz will hit like a truck. Flare Blitz is more beneficial both pre-set up and after set up. Fire Punch is always an option, but I'd like Flare Blitz to be kept please.

Bloo

Banned deucer.
Ok, it has been a while since this was looked at. I spoke with Heysup: much isn't being changed and since this has already been approved, one more grammar check would be appreciated before this is uploaded. If there's any other material you want to comment on, feel free to do so. Thanks.

Flora

Yep, that tasted purple!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
GP Check 1/2:
additions/changes/comments in blue
removals in red

[SET]
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Low Kick / Superpower
move 3: Flare Blitz
move 4: ThunderPunch / Stone Edge / Quick Attack
item: Life Orb
nature: Adamant / Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

<p>Though
the common mixed Blaziken is considered a wallbreaker, almost all stall teams in UU will carry one of its counters, such as Milotic, Altaria, or Hariyama. However, with Swords Dance, Blaziken can turn the tables on them by boosting its Attack stat to sky-high levels, which lets Blaziken bypass its usual counters and run through unprepared stall teams. This allows it to run through unprepared stall teams.</p>

<p>Low Kick is Blaziken's main STAB move, as it can OHKO many walls (if Stealth Rock is on the field) without any drawbacks. However, Superpower is another option to provide more power to
that can OHKO Milotic and defensive Altaria (and to have a chance to OHKO Donphan) as well as have a chance to OHKO Donphan with Stealth Rock down, in exchange for the Attack and Defense drop. Superpower will always OHKO 252 HP / 252 Def Milotic, and 252 HP / 40 Def Altaria will take an outstanding 77.68% - 91.53% from a resisted Superpower, (comma) which is a guaranteed OHKO with Stealth Rock down. After using Superpower, the Attack and Defense drop will take a toll on Blaziken; on the other hand, (already mentioned) Even after the stat drops, Blaziken will still have a +1 boost under its belt and a clear path to sweep.</p>

<p>The secondary STAB move is a choice between Fire Punch and Flare Blitz. While Flare Blitz may sound like a dangerous choice for this set because of its terrible side effect, its sole purpose is to grab the OHKO on bulkier Pokemon like Spiritomb, Uxie, and Claydol. On the other hand, Fire Punch provides a safer option without any side effects that may hinder Blaziken.
</p>

<p>The final slot comes down to three choices depending on
the team's needs. Firstly, ThunderPunch comes in handy when faced with a defensive Slowbro, as it deals 73.15% - 88.83% and has a 7.69% chance of OHKO with Stealth Rock down after a single boost. On the other hand Secondly, Stone Edge is a nice move to hit Altaria and Moltres without resorting to Superpower and have its Blaziken's Attack and Defense drop. Lastly, Quick Attack provides Blaziken a way to hit faster Pokemon such as Dugtrio and Sceptile. To illustrate the damage output of a boosted Quick Attack, here are some damage calculations:</p>

<p>Damage Calculations</p>

<ul class=”damage_calculation”>
<li>+2 Quick Attack vs min HP / min Def Dugtrio - 96.68% - 113.74%</li>
<li>+2 Quick Attack vs min HP / min Def Sceptile - 59.43% - 70.11%</li>
<li>+2 Quick Attack vs min HP / min Def Espeon - 65.68% - 77.49%</li>
</ul>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>
A Jolly nature is an alternative option to outpace Pokemon who linger around the base 80 Speed tier, most notably neutral-natured Venusaur, Nidoking, Kabutops, Toxicroak, and other Blaziken. However, the decrease in power means Blaziken loses out on a guaranteed OHKO on Altaria with Stealth Rock down (Superpower and Flare Blitz both do a minimum of 70.90%).</p>

<p>Blaziken fits nicely
on “spike stacking” offensive teams that uses both Stealth Rock and Spikes. Stealth Rock and at least two layers of Spikes should suffice if you want gives Blaziken a higher chance to OHKO Slowbro with ThunderPunch, (comma) and as well as Dugtrio and Sceptile with Quick Attack. Other ways to improve its sweep is to spread paralysis to over the opponent's team. Uxie and Mesprit are great candidates for this due to their natural bulk and ability to set up Stealth Rock.</p>

<p>The best way to deal with this set is softening up Blaziken usually has trouble dealing with flinch and priority users. Ambipom is a great check a nuisance because it has Fake Out to deal damage, as well as Return to follow up on a 2HKO
on upon Blaziken. Hitmontop also has Fake Out and Mach Punch to reduce Blaziken's HP. Azumarill can threaten Blaziken with a STAB Aqua Jet, while Blaziken can't even muster a 2HKO with a boosted Quick Attack. On a balanced team, Weezing makes an exceptional partner to Blaziken when it comes to handling these threats, as it can use Will-O-Wisp as well as lure in Chansey to give Blaziken a good opportunity to get a free Swords Dance. Cloyster fits in with Blaziken due to its ability to set up Spikes, while scaring away Azumarill. However, from an offensive standpoint, Choice Scarf Rotom makes an exceptional partner because it can take their priority hits from them is immune to most priority moves, and can threaten them the foes with a STAB Thunderbolt.</p>

<p>On an offensive team, Curse Registeel makes an excellent partner because Blaziken can lure in and defeat Milotic, Altaria, and Weezing
all three are common Haze users. With Haze users out of the picture, Registeel can boot up Curse rather easily without having its precious boosts removed. Feraligatr also makes a good partner because it shares many counters with Blaziken and will appreciates having them significantly weakened or fainted.</p>

Not much to say because you're not franky and he wrote this. Grammar is good so I mostly did prose.

edit: oh, I guess whistle counts for a GP check. And, it's odd how some of whistle's changes weren't implemented in before when they were correct (like alternative > alternate).

edit: confusing myself. Well, apparently this wants two checks so I'll mark this as its first check.

Bloo

Banned deucer.
Thanks a ton for the check, Flora! I've implemented all of your changes. I also looked through whistle's post and added his changes as well. And yes, franky gets all the credit for writing this. I'm only adding in grammar checks so this can be finished up.

Thanks again!

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
GP CHECK 2/2

pink is grammar edits
blue is prose edits

[SET]
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Low Kick / Superpower
move 3: Flare Blitz
move 4: ThunderPunch / Stone Edge / Quick Attack
item: Life Orb
nature: Adamant / Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

<p>Though the common mixed Blaziken is considered a wallbreaker, almost all UU stall teams will carry one of its counters, such as Milotic, Altaria, or Hariyama. However, this Blaziken uses Swords Dance to boost its attack to sky-high levels, allowing it to OHKO all of its usual counters and run through unprepared stall teams.</p>

<p>Low Kick is Blaziken's main STAB move, OHKOing many walls (if Stealth Rock is on the field) without any drawbacks. However, Superpower is another option that can OHKO Milotic and defensive Altaria, as well as have a chance to OHKO Donphan with Stealth Rock down (in exchange for the Attack and Defense drop). Superpower will always OHKO 252 HP / 252 Def Milotic, and 252 HP / 40 Def Altaria will take a minimum of 77.68% from a resisted Superpower, which is a guaranteed OHKO with Stealth Rock down. Even after the stat drops, Blaziken will have a +1 boost under its belt and a clear path to sweep.</p>

<p>The secondary STAB move is a choice between Fire Punch and Flare Blitz. While Flare Blitz may sound like a dangerous choice for this set because of its terrible side effect, its sole purpose is to grab the OHKO on bulkier Pokemon like Spiritomb, Uxie, and Claydol. On the other hand, Fire Punch provides a safer option without any negative side effects.</p>

<p>The final slot comes down to three choices depending on a team's needs. Firstly, ThunderPunch comes in handy when faced with a defensive Slowbro, as it deals 73.15% - 88.83% and has a 7.69% chance to OHKO with Stealth Rock down after a single boost. Secondly, Stone Edge is a nice move to hit Altaria and Moltres without resorting to Superpower and having Blaziken's Attack and Defense drop. Lastly, Quick Attack provides Blaziken a way to hit faster Pokemon such as Dugtrio and Sceptile. To illustrate the damage output of a boosted Quick Attack, here are some damage calculations:</p>

<p>Damage Calculations</p>

<ul class=”damage_calculation”>
<li>+2 Quick Attack vs min HP / min Def Dugtrio - 96.68% - 113.74%</li>
<li>+2 Quick Attack vs min HP / min Def Sceptile - 59.43% - 70.11%</li>
<li>+2 Quick Attack vs min HP / min Def Espeon - 65.68% - 77.49%</li>
</ul>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A Jolly nature is an alternative to outpace Pokemon who linger around the base 80 Speed tier, most notably neutral-natured Venusaur, Nidoking, Kabutops, Toxicroak, and other Blaziken. However, the decrease in power means Blaziken loses out on a guaranteed OHKO on Altaria with Stealth Rock down (Superpower and Flare Blitz both do a minimum of 70.90%).</p>

<p>Blaziken fits nicely on "spike stacking" offensive teams that use both Stealth Rock and Spikes. Stealth Rock and at least two layers of Spikes gives Blaziken a higher chance to OHKO Slowbro with ThunderPunch, as well as Dugtrio and Sceptile with Quick Attack. Another way to improve Blaziken's sweep is to spread paralysis around the opponent's team. Uxie and Mesprit are great candidates for this due to their natural bulk and ability to set up Stealth Rock.</p>

<p>Blaziken usually has trouble dealing with flinch and priority users. Ambipom is a nuisance because it has Fake Out to deal damage, as well as Return to follow up on a 2HKO upon Blaziken. Hitmontop also has Fake Out and Mach Punch to reduce Blaziken's HP. Azumarill can threaten Blaziken with STAB Aqua Jet, while Blaziken can't even muster a 2HKO with a boosted Quick Attack. On a balanced team, Weezing makes an exceptional partner to Blaziken when it comes to handling these threats, as it can use Will-O-Wisp as well as lure in Chansey to give Blaziken a good opportunity to get a free Swords Dance boost. Cloyster fits in with Blaziken due to its ability to set up Spikes while scaring away Azumarill. However, from an offensive standpoint, Choice Scarf Rotom makes an exceptional partner because it is immune to most priority moves, and can threaten foes with STAB Thunderbolt.</p>

<p>On an offensive team, Curse Registeel makes an excellent partner because Blaziken can lure in and defeat Milotic, Altaria, and Weezingall three are common Haze users. With Haze users out of the picture, Registeel can stack Curse boosts rather easily without having its precious boosts removed. Feraligatr also makes a good partner because it shares many counters with Blaziken and appreciates having them significantly weakened or KOed.</p>
solid analysis, this should be ready to go after you implement these changes!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)