Blissey (Analysis)

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
Blissey is (still) fat.

Written.

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/242.shtml

[Overview]
<p>Blissey's job gets harder and harder with every new generation. ADV forced Blissey to deal with Substitute + Calm Mind users, while DPP introduced Nasty Plot, Life Orb, and Choice Specs to boost special moves, and overall stronger opposing Pokemon. BW is Blissey's toughest challenge yet, with the introduction of Psyshock, which lets special attackers hit Blissey's Defense instead of her Special Defense. Additionally, with stronger Fighting-type Pokemon that were introduced in this generation, Blissey is forced out much more often. However, Blissey managed to gain one massive boost. With the new Wish mechanics, Wish now heals 50% of the user's HP, meaning that Blissey will be able to heal most injured Pokemon back to full HP. Furthermore, she still has the Special Defense to tank many attacks despite competition from her younger sibling Chansey. With the proper teammates, Blissey can still wall the majority of special attackers and be a general nuisance to the opposing team.</p>

[SET]
name: Wish Support
move 1: Wish
move 2: Protect / Softboiled
move 3: Seismic Toss / Flamethrower
move 4: Toxic
item: Leftovers
ability: Natural Cure
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Thanks to her enormous base 255 HP and 135 Special Defense stats, Blissey is one of the best special walls in the game, facing competition only from Eviolite Chansey. However, Blissey boasts Leftovers recovery that allows her to not be whittled down by sandstorm and other residual damage. Additionally, if Blissey loses her Leftovers, she is only slightly harmed, whereas Chansey loses much of her effectiveness in taking attacks if she loses her Eviolite. Furthermore, Blissey has usable Special Attack unlike Chansey, who is forced to use Seismic Toss.</p>

<p>Wish, with its new mechanics, can fully heal many Pokemon who don't invest in HP such as Garchomp, Latios, and Dragonite, as well as Pokemon who invest in HP, such as Ferrothorn and Scizor. Protect is the main option to be paired up with Wish, as it enables Blissey to get off a guaranteed Wish for herself and scout out the opposing Pokemon's move. It also makes it easier for Blissey to stall the opposing Pokemon with Toxic. However, Softboiled can be used if you want Wish's PP to be concentrated on your team instead of Blissey. Moreover, it doesn't force Blissey to stay in and use Protect in order to be healed; instead, it allows for instant recovery in desperate times.</p>

<p>Seismic Toss is chosen for consistency because it inflicts constant damage on everything except Ghost-types. Alternatively, Flamethrower can be used in order to further emphasize what Blissey has over Chansey. With Flamethrower, Scizor, Excadrill, and Ferrothorn are all hit harder than with Seismic Toss. Toxic fits into the last moveslot in order to cripple opposing Pokemon by steadily removing their HP.</p>

[Additional Comments]
<p>Ice Beam can be used as the main attack in order to hit Gliscor and the Dragon-type Pokemon that run rampant such as Garchomp, Latios, and Dragonite. However, Dragon-type Pokemon are already crippled by Toxic, meaning that Ice Beam would only stand out against Gliscor. Thunder Wave can be used over Toxic if your team appreciates the Speed drop and spread of paralysis from it, but Blissey will lose her ability to steadily wear down sweepers. Heal Bell supports the team even more, enabling Blissey to heal both damage and status for your team. However, it forces Blissey to sacrifice an attacking move or a status move.</p>

<p>Due to Blissey's abysmal Defense, she appreciates physical walls as her teammates. Hippowdon is a great partner because he sets up sandstorm to nullify the opponent's Leftovers recovery, has massive physical bulk to tank attacks, and can set up Stealth Rock. Meanwhile, Blissey tanks the Water-, Grass-, and Ice-type moves that Hippowdon is weak to. Both Gyarados and Salamence have Intimidate and a Fighting-type resistance to help against Fighting-types such as Lucario and Conkeldurr that Blissey hates. Gliscor also resists Fighting-type moves and can launch a STAB Earthquake to handle the various Fighting-type Pokemon that threaten Blissey. Gliscor can also check Excadrill, a Pokemon that can easily set up in front of Blissey.<p>

<p>Spikes support is extremely helpful because the opponent will often be switching around in order to deal with Blissey. Ferrothorn is one of the best Spikes users due to the number of resistances he has along with Leech Seed and STAB Power Whip to further whittle down the opposing team. Skarmory has Roost in order to heal off any damage he takes, while Forretress can lay down all three forms of entry hazards as well as use Rapid Spin. Tentacruel is also a helpful partner as he absorbs Toxic Spikes when he switches in, meaning that he doesn't have to Rapid Spin them away. Both Forretress and Tentacruel can Rapid Spin away Spikes that opposing Ferrothorn and Skarmory set up against Blissey. With entry hazards up, a Ghost-type Pokemon is useful in blocking Rapid Spin. Jellicent is a great partner because he has Will-O-Wisp to cripple physically based Pokemon and has a very useful immunity to Fighting-type moves.</p>

[SET]
name: Support
move 1: Aromatherapy / Stealth Rock
move 2: Softboiled

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>While the previous set is more centered on healing damage dealt to the team, this set is more concentrated on general support for the team. It can be used to either remove crippling status conditions from the team thanks to Aromatherapy, or set up Stealth Rock. A stall team is often crippled by opposing Toxic Spikes if its Rapid Spin user cannot remove the entry hazards fast enough. With Aromatherapy, your team isn't required to have a dedicated status absorber, as Blissey can just heal them later. It will also remove unsuspecting status conditions such as the poison on your Hippowdon or the burn on your Ferrothorn. Meanwhile, having Stealth Rock on Blissey means your previous Stealth Rock user can utilize another support or attacking move.</p>

<p>Softboiled provides Blissey with instant recovery in order to ensure that she can continue utilizing her cleric abilities. The choice of Seismic Toss or Flamethrower presents itself once again. Seismic Toss provides consistency while Flamethrower enables Blissey to hit some targets, such as Ferrothorn, Scizor, and Excadrill for more damage. Toxic, like in the previous set, prevents sweepers from setting up in front of Blissey for free.</p>

[Additional Comments]
<p>Ice Beam and Thunder Wave can replace the appropriate attacking and status moves depending on your team's needs. Because this set doesn't have the scouting potential of Protect, you may choose to launch an attack or a status move first in order to test the waters as to what Pokemon the opponent will switch to in order to handle Blissey.</p>

<p>As with all Blissey sets, physical walls are appreciated teammates. Hippowdon, Gyarados, Salamence, and Gliscor are all good candidates in order to tank the various Fighting-type moves that are aimed at Blissey. Additionally, entry hazard users such as Ferrothorn, Skarmory, and Forretress help in accumulating residual damage to the opposing team. Jellicent is helpful in order to block Rapid Spin and keep the entry hazards up. In order to prevent opposing Spike-stacking teams from wearing down Blissey too much, a Rapid Spin user such as Excadrill, Starmie, or Forretress is helpful as well.</p>

[Optional Changes]
<p>Thunderbolt can be used as the attacking move, but many of the Pokemon that are hit by Thunderbolt, such as Tornadus, are also crippled by Toxic or Thunder Wave anyway. A set with two attacks can be used to improve coverage, with Softboiled and a status move rounding out Blissey's moveset. However, this set is less effective in terms of team support, lacking both Wish and Aromatherapy.</p>

<p>Counter can work as a surprise move but is hard to use because of the increase in power of physical attacks, increasing the likelihood of Blissey being crippled. Charm can weaken physical blows and cause the opposing Pokemon to switch out, racking up more entry hazard damage; however, it is incompatible with Seismic Toss. Calm Mind may be used in order to give Blissey some offensive prowess, but the new Fighting-type Pokemon along with Psyshock make it difficult for Blissey to set up effectively.</p>

[Counters]
<p>Excadrill can come in on the majority of Blissey's moveset, set up a Swords Dance, and begin wreaking havoc on her team. Terrakion, Cobalion, and Virizion can come in on Blissey and scare her away with a STAB Close Combat. Cobalion is immune to Toxic, which enables it to switch in more easily. Conkeldurr can freely switch in on any of Blissey's moves, not fearing Toxic, Thunder Wave, or a burn from Flamethrower due to his ability, Guts. He can also heal off any damage taken with Drain Punch. Gliscor with Poison Heal can come in on any status move and use Taunt or Toxic to shut Blissey down. Alternatively, he can just straight out attack with STAB Earthquake.</p>

<p>Although Machamp fears status moves, he can come in and launch a DynamicPunch at Blissey. Scrafty has Drain Punch to heal off any damage taken and can use Rest or Shed Skin to heal himself of status ailments. Furthermore, he can use Bulk Up to power up his moves even further. Toxicroak isn't afraid of Toxic and is often paired up with Drizzle in order to heal away any Seismic Toss damage. He can then utilize a Bulk Up and Drain Punch combination like Scrafty. Ferrothorn can come in and set up free layers of Spikes or Stealth Rock and use Leech Seed to slowly drain away Blissey's HP. Both Skarmory and Forretress can also accumulate many layers of entry hazards against Blissey.</p>

<p>Espeon can come in freely and Calm Mind in front of Blissey, not fearing Toxic or Thunder Wave due to Magic Bounce. Jirachi can utilize Substitute and Wish to make setting up Calm Mind easy, while Reuniclus has Magic Guard and Recover to ignore Toxic and heal off Seismic Toss damage. All three of them can also fire off a boosted Psyshock against Blissey. Finally, many Pokemon that carry Taunt, such as Thundurus, Gliscor, and Whimsicott can prevent Blissey from inflicting status or healing off any damage. Pokemon that carry Trick, such as Latios, can also Trick Blissey a Choice item and cripple her defensive capabilities.</p>

[Dream World]
<p>Healer serves no function in single battles. If you want to use Healer, make sure to use it in doubles or triples.</p>

IMO, Wish support is really the only vaible set. Blissey's Wishes are bigger than Chansey's and can be abused in that way. Evolution Stone Chansey pretty much outclasses Blissey otherwise. I also think the mention of Mystery Sword hinders Blissey's effectivity greatly against many Special Atackers (and Psycho Shock for that matter) Sorry for my low input

elDino

Deal With It.
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I agree with above but Blissey has some niche with lefties so it kind of balances out

supermarth64

is a Contributor Alumnus
Not completely. Lefties is a huge boost, as it prevents Blissey from losing as much health as Chansey would if Blissey were statused. Additionally, Blissey is still capable of walling many Pokemon if its item gets Knock Offed, whereas Chansey has a much harder time dealing with these opponents.

jrp

Banned deucer.
Also, blissey can't deal with Magic Mirror Pokemon, her only way of damaging them is ice beam/thunderbolt/seismic toss, which all of them can easilly deal with, with their recovery, and ability to calm mind as she trys to seismic toss. Not sure if they warrent mentions in the counters section, but they can still screw with her.

I've come up with a Blissey set and I was hoping to get it rated. Well here it is:

-Wish
-Heal Bell
-Protect/Toxic/Thunder Wave
-Seismic Toss/Shadow Ball/Flamethrower
Nature: Bold
EVs: 4 HP/252 Def/252 Sp.Def
Item: Leftovers

This is MY version of Cleric Blissey. Wish lets you heal your other Pokemon and Heal Bell cures your whole team of any major status problem. If you don't like any of the attacking options you can also use Thunderbolt or Ice Beam. If you want more coverage you can put an attack in the third move slot but this isn't recomended since this Blissey is suppose to support the team not battle the only reason it has an attacking option is to prevent it from being taunt bait or in the case it's the last pokemon at least it can fight back. If you want Blissey to be able to reliably be able to heal itself without having to use Wish+Protect you can put SoftBoiled in the third move slot but you will miss out on scouting abilities without Protect or you won't be able to support the Team as well without Toxic or T-Wave. So how did I do on making this Blissey?

I've come up with a Blissey set and I was hoping to get it rated. Well here it is:

-Wish
-Heal Bell
-Protect/Toxic/Thunder Wave
-Seismic Toss/Shadow Ball/Flamethrower
Nature: Bold
EVs: 4 HP/252 Def/252 Sp.Def
Item: Leftovers
0/10. Illegal moveset: Heal Bell (and Aromatherapy) come from breeding, while Wish comes from an event Blissey back in Generation 2 that gets passed around due to PokeSav.

supermarth64

is a Contributor Alumnus
0/10. Illegal moveset: Heal Bell (and Aromatherapy) come from breeding, while Wish comes from an event Blissey back in Generation 2 that gets passed around due to PokeSav.
False. Heal Bell is a 4th gen HGSS tutor while Wish is from an event Chansey in 3rd gen.

Either way, that's trying to make Blissey to too much at once and doesn't let it be threatening to any Pokemon in general. Wish is also hard to pull off without Protect.

False. Heal Bell is a 4th gen HGSS tutor while Wish is from an event Chansey in 3rd gen.

Either way, that's trying to make Blissey to too much at once and doesn't let it be threatening to any Pokemon in general. Wish is also hard to pull off without Protect.
I don't want this Blissey to be a threat as much as I want it to wall special attacks and support my team. I should have asked can it get the job done? But thanks for your opinion though! I haven't been making Pkmn movesets for long I just started recently.

supermarth64

is a Contributor Alumnus
Ka-bump after forever. Switched around Flamethrower and Seismic Toss to emphasize what advantages Blissey has over Chansey.

Also by putting Aroma in the first set, it would have slashitis (slashes on every single move) as well as being extremely fat comment-wise.

panamaxis

how many seconds in eternity?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Why is flamethrower prioritised over Seismic Toss? Sure you can stop nattorei coming in on you but apart from that I don't see why you would want flamethrower as your only attacking move over Seismic Toss. Blissey doesn't need to use special attacks to not be outclassed by Chansey anyway, leftovers recovery is a pretty huge factor. I'd probably rather you switch it back to S-Toss / Flamethrower.

Also I never really understood why Protect was emphasised over Softboiled on the wish set when you consider that a) Physical Set up sweeper can come in on blissey and force it to not get recovery and b) So many times I've seen blissey be killed by having protect > Softboiled in 'emergency healing' situations. I think these benefits outweight the scouting benefits of protect so unless anyone has a big objection to that I'd like to emphasise Softboiled over protect on the wish set.

Would anyone be alright with renaming Cleric to something else and slashing SR with heal bell?

supermarth64

is a Contributor Alumnus
I'm still debating myself about SToss and Flamethrower. Based on my personal experiences, I've always considered the consistency that comes from Seismic Toss and disliked the fact that Chansey doesn't get Leftovers (I hate sandstorm). I guess Flamethrower isn't as good as people think it is because Nattorei can always Leech Seed to avoid the 2HKO if there's Spikes up. Additionally, SToss breaks Dory's Balloon anyway so... I'll probably change it back after the 3rd approval.

As for Protect vs Softboiled, even though I personally use Softboiled, I think Protect still has merit. At times, I've missed the scouting capabilities of Protect which make it easier vs Choiced Pokemon. Additionally, even if you Wish on the switch and a set up Pokemon comes in, you can always hit it with a Toxic to put it on a timer.

Interesting proposition, I remember SR being put on 4th gen Chansey's set but with different slashes. I'll test it out and if it works well change the name to "Support" or something.

Edit: SR works fine on Blissey, it lets me have Roar on Hippo so I can use Ice Fang also.

Bloo

Banned deucer.
Yeah, make Seismic Toss the first slash over Flamethrower. I find being able to deal consistent damage with Seismic Toss more useful on most occasions. Blissey's a great user of Stealth Rock, so I'm fine with slashing Stealth Rock with Aromatherapy and renaming the set to "Support" or something alone those lines.

QC APPROVED (3/3)

supermarth64

is a Contributor Alumnus
Finished typing it up except it was kinda rushed at the end so if it's incomprehensible then sorry!

elDino

Deal With It.
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Placeholder for amateur GP check

Add
Remove
Comments

[Overview]

<p>Blissey's job gets harder and harder with every new generation. 3rd generation RSE forced Blissey to deal with Calm Minders with Substitute, while 4th generation DPP introduced Nasty Plot as a boosting move, Life Orb and Choice Specs to boost special moves, and overall stronger opposing Pokemon. 5th generation BW is Blissey's toughest challenge yet as the introduction of Psyshock hits Blissey's Defense instead of Special Defense. Additionally, with stronger Fighting-type Pokemon that exist in this generation, Blissey will be forced out much more often. However, Blissey managed to gain one massive boost. With the new Wish mechanics, Wish now heals 50% of the user's HP, meaning that Blissey will be able to heal most injured Pokemon back to full HP. Additionally, she still has the Special Defense to tank many moves even if she now faces competition. from her younger sibling: Chansey. With the proper teammates though, Blissey can stop many special attackers and be a general nuisance to the opposing team.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Thanks to Blissey's enormous base 255 HP and 135 Special Defense stats, Blissey is one of the best special walls in the game, facing competition from only from Evolution Stone Evolite Chansey. However, Blissey boasts Leftovers recovery in order to not be whittled down by sandstorm. Additionally, if Blissey loses her Leftovers, she is only merely harmed whereas Chansey loses much of her effectiveness in taking attacks if she loses her item. Furthermore, Blissey has usable Special Attack unlike Chansey, who is forced to use Seismic Toss.</p>

<p>Wish, with its new mechanics, can fully heal many Pokemon who don't invest in HP like Garchomp, Latios, and Dragonite, as well as Pokemon who invest in HP, such as Ferrothorn and Scizor. Protect is the main option to be paired up with Wish, as it enables Blissey to get off a guaranteed Wish definitely get healed and scout out the opposing Pokemon's move. It also makes it easier for Blissey to Toxic stall the opposing Pokemon. However, Softboiled can be used if you want Wish's PP to be concentrated on your team instead of Blissey. Additionally, it doesn't force Blissey to stay in and be forced to Protect in order to be healed. Instead, it enables for instant recovery in desperate times. Seismic Toss is chosen for consistency because nothing except for Ghost-type Pokemon is immune or resistant to it. However, Flamethrower can be used in order to further emphasize what Blissey has over Chansey. With Flamethrower, Scizor, Excadrill, and Ferrothorn all are hit harder than when compared to if Blissey uses Seismic Toss. Toxic fits into the last moveslot in order to cripple opposing Pokemon by steadily removing their HP.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Ice Beam can be used as the main attack in order to hit Gliscor and the Dragon-type Pokemon that run rampant such as Garchomp, Latios, and Dragonite. However, Dragon-type Pokemon are already crippled by Toxic, meaning that Ice Beam would only be hitting Gliscor effectively. Thunder Wave can be used over Toxic if your team appreciates the Speed drop from it but fails to make Blissey actually threatening to sweepers. Heal Bell supports the team even more, enabling Blissey to heal both damage and status from your team. However, it forces Blissey to sacrifice an attacking move or a status move.</p>

<p>Due to Blissey's abysmal Defense, she appreciates physical walls as her teammates. Hippowdon is a great partner because he sets up sandstorm, nullifying Leftovers recovery, has massive physical bulk to tank attacks, and can set up Stealth Rock. Meanwhile, Blissey tanks the Water-, Grass-, and Ice-type moves that Hippowdon is weak to. Both Gyarados and Salamence have Intimidate and a Fighting-type resistance to help against Pokemon like Lucario and Conkeldurr. Gliscor also resists Fighting-type moves and can launch a STAB Acrobatics to handle the various Fighting-type Pokemon that threaten Blissey. Gliscor can also check Excadrill, a Pokemon that can easily set up in front of Blissey.<p>

<p>Spikes support is extremely helpful because the opponent will oftentimes be switching around in order to deal with Blissey. Ferrothorn is one of the best Spikers due to the number of resistances he has along with Leech Seed and STAB Power Whip to further whittle down the opposing team. Skarmory has Roost in order to heal off any damage he takes while Forretress can utilize all three forms of entry hazard damage as well as Rapid Spin. Tentacruel is also a helpful partner as he absorbs Toxic Spikes when he switches in, meaning that he doesn't have to Rapid Spin them away. Both Forretress and Tentacruel can Rapid Spin away Spikes that opposing Ferrothorn and Skarmory set up against Blissey. With the entry hazards up, a Ghost-type Pokemon is useful in blocking Rapid Spin. Jellicent is a great partner because he has Will-O-Wisp to cripple physically based Pokemon and has a very useful immunity to Fighting-type moves.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While the previous set is more centered on healing away damage taken from dealt to the team, this set is more concentrated on general support for the team. It can be used to either remove crippling status from the team thanks to Aromatherapy or to set up Stealth Rock. A stall team is oftentimes crippled by opposing Toxic Spikes if its Rapid Spinner cannot Spin away the entry hazards fast enough. With Aromatherapy, your team isn't required to have a dedicated status absorber, as Blissey can just remove it. It will also remove unsuspecting statuses like that Toxic on your Hippowdon or that Will-O-Wisp on your Ferrothorn. Meanwhile, having Stealth Rock on Blissey means your previous Stealth Rock user can utilize another support or attacking move.</p>

<p>Softboiled provides Blissey with instant recovery in order to make sure that she can continue healing your team. The choice of Seismic Toss or Flamethrower presents itself once again. Seismic Toss provides consistency while Flamethrower enables Blissey to hit some targets, like Ferrothorn, Scizor, and Excadrill for more damage. Toxic, like that in the previous set, prevents sweepers from setting up in front of Blissey for free.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Ice Beam and Thunder Wave can replace the appropriate attacking and status moves depending on your team's needs. Because this set doesn't have the scouting potential of Protect like in the previous set, the player may choose to launch an attack or a status move first in order to test the waters as to what Pokemon the opponent will switch to in order to handle Blissey.</p>

<p>As with all Blissey sets, physical walls are appreciated. Hippowdon, Gyarados, Salamence, and Gliscor are all good teammates in order to tank the various Fighting-type moves that are aimed at Blissey. Additionally, entry hazard users such as Ferrothorn, Skarmory, and Forretress help in accumulating additional residual damage to the opposing team. Jellicent is helpful in order to block Rapid Spin and keep to the entry hazards up. In order to prevent opposing Spike-stacking teams from wearing down Blissey too much, a Rapid Spinner such as Excadrill, Starmie, or Forretress is helpful as well. It depends on whether you want physical offense, special offense, or general utility within the Rapid Spinner.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Thunderbolt can be used as the attacking move if you choose to do so but many of the Pokemon that are hit by Thunderbolt, such as Tornadus, are also crippled by Toxic or Thunder Wave. A set with two attacks can be used. that's This is composed of Softboiled, a status move, and two attacks for more type coverage. However, that set isn't as effective for team support because there is no Wish or Aromatherapy to support it the team. Counter can work as a surprise move but is hard to use because the physical attacks are more powerful this generation, causing Blissey to be severely crippled by a move. Charm can weaken physical blows and cause the opposing Pokemon to switch out, racking up more entry hazard damage. However, it is incompatible with Seismic Toss. Calm Mind may be used in order to give Blissey some offensive prowess but the new Fighting-type Pokemon along with Psyshock make it difficult for Blissey to set up effectively.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Excadrill can come in on the majority of Blissey's moveset, set up a Swords Dance, and begin wreaking havoc on Blissey's team. Terrakion, Cobalion, and Virizion can come in on Blissey and scare her away with a STAB Close Combat. Cobalion is immune to Toxic, which enables him to switch in more easily. Conkeldurr can freely switch in on any of Blissey's moves, not fearing Toxic, Thunder Wave, or a burn from Flamethrower due to his ability Guts. He can also heal off any damage taken with Drain Punch. Gliscor with Poison Heal can come in on any status move and can Taunt or Toxic Blissey to shut her down. Alternatively, he can just straight out attack with STAB Acrobatics and Earthquake.</p>

<p>Although Machamp fears status moves, he can come in and launch a DynamicPunch at Blissey. Scrafty has Drain Punch to heal off any damage taken and can use Rest or Shed Skin to heal himself of status ailments. Furthermore, he can use Bulk Up to power up his moves even further. Toxicroak isn't afraid of Toxic and is often paired up with Drizzle in order to heal away any Seismic Toss damage. He can then utilize a Bulk Up and Drain Punch combination like Scrafty. Ferrothorn can come in and set up free layers of Spikes or Stealth Rock and can Leech Seed Blissey to slowly drain away her HP. Both Skarmory and Forretress can also accumulate many layers of entry hazards against Blissey. Espeon can come in freely and Calm Mind in front of Blissey, not fearing Toxic or Thunder Wave due to Magic Bounce. Jirachi can utilize Substitute and Wish to help with Calm Minding while Reuniclus has Magic Guard and Recover to ignore Toxic and heal off Seismic Toss damage. All three of them can utilize boosted Psyshocks against Blissey.</p>

<p>Finally, many Pokemon that carry Taunt, such as Thundurus, Gliscor, and Whimsicott can prevent Blissey from statusing or healing off any damage. Pokemon that carry Trick such as Latios can also Trick Blissey a Choice Scarf and cripple her defensive capabilities.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Healer serves no function in single battles. If you want to use Healer, make sure to use it in doubles or triples.</p>

Very good grammar on the whole, and nice analysis.

Well done!

Here are some suggested grammatical fixes. Utilize whichever ones you feel are helpful, but I would highly suggest un-genderizing the Pokemon mentioned in your analysis (don't use &quot;he&quot;, &quot;him&quot;, for example) although &quot;her&quot; is all right for Blissey, as it is always female.
Blissey is (still) fat.

Written.

[Overview]

<p>Blissey's job gets harder and harder with every new generation. The 3rd generation forced Blissey to deal with Calm Minders with Substitute, while the 4th generation introduced Nasty Plot, Life Orb, and Choice Specs to boost special moves, and overall stronger opposing Pokemon. The 5th generation is Blissey's toughest challenge yet, with the introduction of Psyshock, which hits Blissey's Defense instead of its Special Defense. Additionally, with stronger Fighting-type Pokemon that were introduced in this generation, Blissey will be forced out much more often. However, Blissey managed to gain one massive boost. With the new Wish mechanics, Wish now heals 50% of the user's HP, meaning that Blissey will heal most injured Pokemon back to full HP. Furthermore, she still has the Special Defense to tank many moves even if she now faces competition (remove period) from her younger sibling (remove colon) Chansey. With the proper teammates (remove though), Blissey can still wall the majority of special attackers and be a general nuisance to the opposing team.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Thanks to Blissey's enormous base 255 HP and 135 Special Defense stats, Blissey is one of the best special walls in the game, facing competition from only Evolution Stone Chansey. However, Blissey boasts Leftovers recovery that allows her not to be whittled down by sandstorm. Additionally, if Blissey loses her Leftovers, she is only slightly harmed whereas Chansey loses much of her effectiveness in taking attacks with the loss of Eviolite. Furthermore, Blissey has usable Special Attack unlike Chansey, who is forced to use Seismic Toss.</p>

<p>Wish, with its new mechanics, can fully heal many Pokemon who don't invest in HP like Garchomp, Latios, and Dragonite, as well as Pokemon who invest in HP, such as Ferrothorn and Scizor. Protect is the main option to be paired up with Wish, as it enables Blissey to get off a guaranteed Wish for herself and scout out the opposing Pokemon's move. It also makes it easier for Blissey to Toxic stall the opposing Pokemon. However, Softboiled can be used if you want Wish's PP to be concentrated on your team instead of Blissey. Moreover, it doesn't force Blissey to stay in and be forced to Protect in order to be healed. Instead, it allows for instant recovery in desperate times. Seismic Toss is chosen for consistency because it inflicts constant damage on everything except Ghost-types. However, Flamethrower can be used in order to further emphasize what Blissey has over Chansey. With Flamethrower, Scizor, Excadrill, and Ferrothorn all are hit harder than with Seismic Toss. Toxic fits into the last moveslot in order to cripple opposing Pokemon by steadily removing their HP.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Ice Beam can be used as the main attack in order to hit Gliscor and the Dragon-type Pokemon that run rampant such as Garchomp, Latios, and Dragonite. However, Dragon-type Pokemon are already crippled by Toxic, meaning that Ice Beam would only stand out against Gliscor. Thunder Wave can be used over Toxic if your team appreciates the Speed drop and spread of paralysis from it, but Blissey will lose her ability to steadily wear down sweepers. Heal Bell supports the team even more, enabling Blissey to heal both damage and status from your team. However, it forces Blissey to sacrifice an attacking move or a status move.</p>

<p>Due to Blissey's abysmal Defense, she appreciates physical walls as her teammates. Hippowdon is a great partner because it sets up sandstorm, nullifying opponents' Leftovers recovery, has massive physical bulk to tank attacks, and can set up Stealth Rock. Meanwhile, Blissey tanks the Water-, Grass-, and Ice-type moves that Hippowdon is weak to. Both Gyarados and Salamence have Intimidate and a Fighting-type resistance to help against Fighting-types like Lucario and Conkeldurr that Blissey hates. Gliscor also resists Fighting-type moves and can launch a STAB Acrobatics to handle the various Fighting-type Pokemon that threaten Blissey. Gliscor can also check Excadrill, a Pokemon that can easily set up in front of Blissey.<p>

<p>Spikes support is extremely helpful because the opponent will often be switching around in order to deal with Blissey. Ferrothorn is one of the best Spikers due to the number of resistances it has along with Leech Seed and STAB Power Whip to further whittle down the opposing team. Skarmory has Roost in order to heal off any damage it takes while Forretress can utilize all three forms of entry hazard damage as well as Rapid Spin. Tentacruel is also a helpful partner as it absorbs Toxic Spikes when it switches in, meaning that it doesn't have to Rapid Spin them away. Both Forretress and Tentacruel can Rapid Spin away Spikes that opposing Ferrothorn and Skarmory set up against Blissey. With (remove the) entry hazards up, a Ghost-type Pokemon is useful in blocking Rapid Spin. Jellicent is a great partner because it has Will-O-Wisp to cripple physically based Pokemon and has a very useful immunity to Fighting-type moves.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While the previous set is more centered on healing away damage taken by the team, this set is more concentrated on general support for the team. It can be used to either remove crippling statuses from the team or to set up Stealth Rock. A stall team is often crippled by opposing Toxic Spikes if its Rapid Spinner cannot remove the entry hazards fast enough. With Aromatherapy, your team isn't required to have a dedicated status absorber, as Blissey can just heal them later. It will also remove pesky statuses like the poison on a Hippowdon or the burn on a Ferrothorn, for example. Meanwhile, having Stealth Rock on Blissey means your previous Stealth Rock user can utilize another support or attacking move.</p>

<p>Softboiled provides Blissey with instant recovery in order to ensure that she can continue utilizing her cleric abilities. The choice of Seismic Toss or Flamethrower presents itself once again. Seismic Toss provides consistency while Flamethrower enables Blissey to hit some targets, like Ferrothorn, Scizor, and Excadrill, for more damage. Toxic, like that in the previous set, prevents sweepers from setting up in front of Blissey for free.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Ice Beam and Thunder Wave can replace the appropriate attacking and status move depending on your team's needs. Because this set doesn't have the scouting potential of Protect like in the previous set, the player may choose to launch an attack or a status move first in order to test the waters as to what Pokemon the opponent will switch to in order to handle Blissey.</p>

<p>As with all Blissey sets, physical walls are appreciated. Hippowdon, Gyarados, Salamence, and Gliscor are all good teammates in order to tank the various Fighting-type moves that are aimed at Blissey. Additionally, entry hazard users such as Ferrothorn, Skarmory, and Forretress help in accumulating additional residual damage to the opposing team. Jellicent is helpful in order to block Rapid Spin and keep the entry hazards up. In order to prevent opposing Spike-stacking teams from wearing down Blissey too much, a Rapid Spinner such as Excadrill, Starmie, or Forretress is helpful as well. Remove the sentence that was here - focus on Blissey, not the viability of these teammates.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Thunderbolt can be used as the attacking move if you choose to do so but many of the Pokemon that are hit by Thunderbolt, such as Tornadus, are crippled by Toxic or Thunder Wave anyway. A set with two attacks can be used to improve coverage, with Softboiled and a status move rounding out Blissey's moveset. However, this set is less effective in terms of team support, lacking both Wish and Aromatherapy. Counter can work as a surprise move but is hard to use because of the increase in power of physical attackers this generation, and may leave Blissey highly crippled. Charm can weaken physical blows and cause the opposing Pokemon to switch out, racking up more entry hazard damage. However, it is incompatible with Seismic Toss. Calm Mind may be used in order to give Blissey some offensive prowess but the new Fighting-type Pokemon along with Psyshock make it difficult for Blissey to set up effectively.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Excadrill can come in on the majority of Blissey's moveset, set up a Swords Dance, and begin wreaking havoc on Blissey's team. Terrakion, Cobalion, and Virizion can come in on Blissey and scare her away with a STAB Close Combat. Cobalion is immune to Toxic, which enables it to switch in more easily. Conkeldurr can freely switch in on any of Blissey's moves, not fearing Toxic, Thunder Wave, or a burn from Flamethrower due to its ability Guts. It can also heal off any damage taken with Drain Punch. Gliscor with Poison Heal can come in on any status move and can Taunt or Toxic Blissey to shut her down. Alternatively, it can just straight out attack with STAB Acrobatics and Earthquake.</p>

<p>Although Machamp fears status moves, it can come in and launch a DynamicPunch at Blissey. Scrafty has Drain Punch to heal off any damage taken and can use Rest or Shed Skin to heal itself of status ailments. Furthermore, it can use Bulk Up to power up its moves even further. Toxicroak isn't afraid of Toxic and is often paired up with Drizzle in order to heal away any Seismic Toss damage. It can then utilize a Bulk Up and Drain Punch combination like Scrafty. Ferrothorn can come in and set up free layers of Spikes or Stealth Rock and can Leech Seed Blissey to slowly drain away her HP. Both Skarmory and Forretress can also accumulate many layers of entry hazards against Blissey. Espeon can come in freely and Calm Mind in front of Blissey, not fearing Toxic or Thunder Wave due to Magic Bounce. Jirachi can utilize Substitute and Wish to help with Calm Minding while Reuniclus has Magic Guard and Recover to ignore Toxic and heal off Seismic Toss damage. All three of them can utilize boosted Psyshocks against Blissey.</p>

<p>Finally, many Pokemon that carry Taunt, such as Thundurus, Gliscor, and Whimsicott, can prevent Blissey from statusing or healing off any damage. Pokemon that carry Trick, such as Latios, can also Trick Blissey a Choice Item and cripple her defensive capabilities.</p>

[Dream World]

Why use Aromatherapy over Heal Bell? Heal Bell has more legal combinations than Aromatherapy (example: Wish + Heal Bell). Mentioning Aromatherapy instead of Heal Bell makes no sense.

supermarth64

is a Contributor Alumnus
On a simulator, it's a matter of flavor really because Heal Bell is already mentioned in the comments on the Wish set.

In-game, if you're using Seismic Toss and not Pokesaving, you have to breed in 3rd gen in order to get it. If you're breeding in 3rd gen, you might as well breed for Aromatherapy because you have to RNG for those IVs most likely anyway, which means you can use Aromatherapy Blissey in 3rd gen if you really wanted to (and not be restricted to 4th gen and up).

Red = Delete
Blue = Add

I'm no GP member, but there was very little to correct...

Blissey is (still) fat.

Written.

[Overview]
<p>Blissey's job gets harder and harder with every new generation. ADV forced Blissey to deal with Calm Minders with Substitute, while DPPt introduced Nasty Plot, Life Orb and, (comma) Choice Specs to boost special moves, and overall stronger opposing Pokemon. BW is Blissey's toughest challenge yet, with the introduction of Psyshock, which hits Blissey's Defense instead of her Special Defense. Additionally, with stronger Fighting-type Pokemon that were introduced in this generation, Blissey will be forced out much more often. However, Blissey managed to gain one massive boost. With the new Wish mechanics, Wish now heals 50% of the user's HP, meaning that Blissey will be able to heal most injured Pokemon back to full HP. Furthermore, she still has the Special Defense to tank many moves even if she now faces competition from her younger sibling Chansey. With the proper teammates, Blissey can still wall the majority of special attackers and be a general nuisance to the opposing team.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Thanks to Blissey's enormous base 255 HP and 135 Special Defense stats, Blissey is one of the best special walls in the game, facing competition only from Evolite Chansey. However, Blissey boasts Leftovers recovery that allows her to not be whittled down by sandstorm. Additionally, if Blissey loses her Leftovers, she is only slightly harmed whereas Chansey loses much of her effectiveness in taking attacks if she loses her item. Furthermore, Blissey has usable Special Attack unlike Chansey, who is forced to use Seismic Toss.</p>

<p>Wish, with its new mechanics, can fully heal many Pokemon who don't invest in HP like Garchomp, Latios, and Dragonite, as well as Pokemon who invest in HP, such as Ferrothorn and Scizor. Protect is the main option to be paired up with Wish, as it enables Blissey to get off a guaranteed Wish for herself and scout out the opposing Pokemon's move. It also makes it easier for Blissey to Toxic stall the opposing Pokemon. However, Softboiled can be used if you want Wish's PP to be concentrated on your team instead of Blissey. Moreover, it doesn't force Blissey to stay in and be forced to Protect in order to be healed. Instead, it allows enables for instant recovery in desperate times.</p>

<p>Seismic Toss is chosen for consistency because it inflicts constant damage on everything except Ghost-types. However, Flamethrower can be used in order to further emphasize what Blissey has over Chansey. With Flamethrower, Scizor, Excadrill, and Ferrothorn all are hit harder than with Seismic Toss. Toxic fits into the last moveslot in order to cripple opposing Pokemon by steadily removing their HP.</p>

[Additional Comments]
<p>Ice Beam can be used as the main attack in order to hit Gliscor and the Dragon-type Pokemon that run rampant such as Garchomp, Latios, and Dragonite. However, Dragon-type Pokemon are already crippled by Toxic, meaning that Ice Beam would only stand out against Gliscor. Thunder Wave can be used over Toxic if your team appreciates the Speed drop and spread of paralysis from it, but Blissey will lose her ability to steadily wear down sweepers. Heal Bell supports the team even more, enabling Blissey to heal both damage and status from your team. However, it forces Blissey to sacrifice an attacking move or a status move.</p>

<p>Due to Blissey's abysmal Defense, she appreciates physical walls as her teammates. Hippowdon is a great partner because he sets up sandstorm, nullifying the opponent's Leftovers recovery, has massive physical bulk to tank attacks, and can set up Stealth Rock. Meanwhile, Blissey tanks the Water-, Grass-, and Ice-type moves that Hippowdon is weak to. Both Gyarados and Salamence have Intimidate and a Fighting-type resistance to help against Fighting-types like Lucario and Conkeldurr that Blissey hates. Gliscor also resists Fighting-type moves and can launch a STAB Acrobatics to handle the various Fighting-type Pokemon that threaten Blissey. Gliscor can also check Excadrill, a Pokemon that can easily set up in front of Blissey.<p>

<p>Spikes support is extremely helpful because the opponent will often be switching around in order to deal with Blissey. Ferrothorn is one of the best Spikers due to the number of resistances he has along with Leech Seed and STAB Power Whip to further whittle down the opposing team. Skarmory has Roost in order to heal off any damage he takes while Forretress can utilize all three forms of entry hazard damage as well as Rapid Spin. Tentacruel is also a helpful partner as he absorbs Toxic Spikes when he switches in, meaning that he doesn't have to Rapid Spin them away. Both Forretress and Tentacruel can Rapid Spin away Spikes that opposing Ferrothorn and Skarmory set up against Blissey. With entry hazards up, a Ghost-type Pokemon is useful in blocking Rapid Spin. Jellicent is a great partner because he has Will-O-Wisp to cripple physically based Pokemon and has a very useful immunity to Fighting-type moves.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>While the previous set is more centered on healing away damage dealt to the team, this set is more concentrated on general support for the team. It can be used to either remove crippling statuses from the team thanks to Aromatherapy or to set up Stealth Rock. A stall team is often crippled by opposing Toxic Spikes if its Rapid Spinner cannot remove away the entry hazards fast enough. With Aromatherapy, your team isn't required to have a dedicated status absorber, as Blissey can just heal them later. It will also remove unsuspecting statuses like the poison on your Hippowdon or the burn on your Ferrothorn. Meanwhile, having Stealth Rock on Blissey means your previous Stealth Rock user can utilize another support or attacking move.</p>

<p>Softboiled provides Blissey with instant recovery in order to ensure that she can continue utilizing her cleric abilities. The choice of Seismic Toss or Flamethrower presents itself once again. Seismic Toss provides consistency while Flamethrower enables Blissey to hit some targets, like Ferrothorn, Scizor, and Excadrill for more damage. Toxic, like that in the previous set, prevents sweepers from setting up in front of Blissey for free.</p>

[Additional Comments]
<p>Ice Beam and Thunder Wave can replace the appropriate attacking and status moves depending on your team's needs. Because this set doesn't have the scouting potential of Protect like in the previous set, the player may choose to launch an attack or a status move first in order to test the waters as to what Pokemon the opponent will switch to in order to handle Blissey.</p>

<p>As with all Blissey sets, physical walls are appreciated. Hippowdon, Gyarados, Salamence, and Gliscor are all good teammates in order to tank the various Fighting-type moves that are aimed at Blissey. Additionally, entry hazard users such as Ferrothorn, Skarmory, and Forretress help in accumulating additional residual damage to the opposing team. Jellicent is helpful in order to block Rapid Spin and to keep the entry hazards up. In order to prevent opposing Spike-stacking teams from wearing down Blissey too much, a Rapid Spinner such as Excadrill, Starmie, or Forretress is helpful as well.</p>

[Optional Changes]
<p>Thunderbolt can be used as the attacking move if you choose to do so but many of the Pokemon that are hit by Thunderbolt, such as Tornadus, are also crippled by Toxic or Thunder Wave anyway. A set with two attacks can be used to improve coverage, with Softboiled and a status move rounding out Blissey's moveset. However, this set is less effective in terms of team support, lacking both Wish and Aromatherapy.</p>

<p>Counter can work as a surprise move but is hard to use because of the increase in power of physical attacks, increasing the likelihood of Blissey being crippled. Charm can weaken physical blows and cause the opposing Pokemon to switch out, racking up more entry hazard damage. However, it is incompatible with Seismic Toss. Calm Mind may be used in order to give Blissey some offensive prowess, (comma) but the new Fighting-type Pokemon along with Psyshock make it difficult for Blissey to set up effectively.</p>

[Counters]
<p>Excadrill can come in on the majority of Blissey's moveset, set up a Swords Dance, and begin wreaking havoc on Blissey's team. The Musketeer Pokemon can come in on Blissey and scare her away with a STAB Close Combat. Cobalion is immune to Toxic, which enables him to switch in more easily. Conkeldurr can freely switch in on any of Blissey's moves, not fearing Toxic, Thunder Wave, or a burn from Flamethrower due to his ability Guts. He can also heal off any damage taken with Drain Punch. Gliscor with Poison Heal can come in on any status move and can Taunt or Toxic Blissey to shut her down. Alternatively, he can just straight out attack with STAB Acrobatics and Earthquake.</p>

<p>Although Machamp fears status moves, he can come in and launch a DynamicPunch at Blissey. Scrafty has Drain Punch to heal off any damage taken and can use Rest or Shed Skin to heal himself of status ailments. Furthermore, he can use Bulk Up to power up his moves even further. Toxicroak isn't afraid of Toxic and is often paired up with Drizzle in order to heal away any Seismic Toss damage. He can then utilize a Bulk Up and Drain Punch combination like Scrafty. Ferrothorn can come in and set up free layers of Spikes or Stealth Rock and can Leech Seed Blissey to slowly drain away her HP. Both Skarmory and Forretress can also accumulate many layers of entry hazards against Blissey.</p>

<p>Espeon can come in freely and Calm Mind in front of Blissey, not fearing Toxic or Thunder Wave due to Magic Bounce. Jirachi can utilize Substitute and Wish to help with Calm Minding while Reuniclus has Magic Guard and Recover to ignore Toxic and heal off Seismic Toss damage. All three of them can utilize boosted Psyshocks against Blissey. Finally, many Pokemon that carry Taunt, such as Thundurus, Gliscor, and Whimsicott can prevent Blissey from statusing or healing off any damage. Pokemon that carry Trick such as Latios can also Trick Blissey a Choice item and cripple her defensive capabilities.</p>

[Dream World]

It's not a huge difference, you still need to RNG to breed for a good Chansey in 3rd gen.
Sure for softboiled though, for wish Blissey, you would have to soft-reset. And most common sets have wish anyway, and I find it a heck lot easier anyway to toss on healbell in HG/SS, then to breed aromatherapy, even if you do run softboiled.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)