Blissey (EV spread discussion)

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Investing in HP (236 HP / 252 Def / 16 SpD Calm) over SpD (252 Def / 252 SpD Calm) reduces total special tankishness by around 7% and increases physical tankishness by about 9%. This means 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SpD Calm is likely the most efficient spread from a mixed-defenses perspective, but since Blissey is a special wall, it could easily be argued that the 7%reduction in special tankishness is worth more than the 9% increase in physical tankishness. Both spreads have their merit; perhaps it would be best to just give the nod to one and offer the other a very strong AC mention. I would lean towards giving the 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SpD spread the nod simply because it's more similar to the current spread on-site (and therefore more consistent with the role QC decided Blissey is meant to play).

i think that if your thinking on using blissey as a wish passer and you want to pass wishes as high as possible..stick up with the max hp max def one..if your planning on only using it to tank hits and recover up with softboiled instead of wish...use the other ev spread...

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
i think that if your thinking on using blissey as a wish passer and you want to pass wishes as high as possible..stick up with the max hp max def one..if your planning on only using it to tank hits and recover up with softboiled instead of wish...use the other ev spread...
Even with no HP investement, you already heal anything back to full life. Don't forget that in order to receive the wish, you have to take a hit, which means that you should have at least 20%-30% life left. The pokes with the highest HP in OU, that don't use recovery on their own, are the base 100s, which when fully invested have 404 HP. So Wish from 4 HP Blissey is enough really...

I used 120 HP/252 Def/136 SpD Bold to take two Modest Specs Hydro Pumps from Rotom-W in rain, seemed perfect enough for me. Strongest special attack I'd ever need to take and max defense. Note that this was Wish/Protect bliss so I could protect to take two after SR, without Protect it would only 50ish% chance to take two.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Let's go with shrang's 252 Def / 252+ SDef spread - with Keldeo and Thundurus-T, special defense investment becomes even more critical if she wants to avoid 2HKOs from Specs Hydro Pump / Focus Blast.

QC Approved (1/3)

Conflict

is the 9th Smogon Classic Winneris a Three-Time Past SPL Championis the defending GSC Circuit Champion
World Defender
Should probably adjust the spread to 24 HP / 252 Def / 232 SDef; Calm - this grants Blissey a Leftovers+1 Number for more Lefties-Recovery (was also the spread Husk used to run if i remember correctly). She retains pretty much the same tankyness (there are only like 0.1% or 0.2% difference).

Should probably adjust the spread to 24 HP / 252 Def / 232 SDef; Calm - this grants Blissey a Leftovers+1 Number for more Lefties-Recovery (was also the spread Husk used to run if i remember correctly). She retains pretty much the same tankyness (there are only like 0.1% or 0.2% difference).
You would also take more damage from poison and burns. The Leftover number also becomes useless if Blissey is used in Sand, which is one of the main reasons of using Blissey over Chansey in BW OU.

I swear everyone used to have max def and spdef back in DPP. Weird.

QC Approved (3/3)
Not everyone did. Quite a few people (including myself) used Bold Blissey with max HP to become a mixed wall of sorts. That was fairly common on non stall teams which ran Blissey.

It was capable of checking Scarfed Tyranitar without Superpower, since Stone Edge would fail to 2HKO. It all depends on the team, although in BW I agree with Calm and the spread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)