UU Blissey

Empress

Don't waffle or you'll get pancaked
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Blissey
QC: 3/3 (Hikari, IronBullet93, dodmen)
GP: 2/2 (Psywaves, Weebl)

Overview
########

Blissey's astronomical HP and Special Defense make her the premier special wall of UU. In addition, Blissey has access to a plethora of support moves, such as Wish and Heal Bell, allowing her to aid her team by providing cleric support and tanking all special hits. Her Normal typing gives her only one weakness, and Natural Cure allows her to absorb status effects. In combination, these two traits make Blissey difficult to wear down. Access to Seismic Toss and Toxic are all Blissey needs to not be setup bait. However, even with those options of dealing damage, Blissey is still pretty passive. She also struggles against Pokemon that rely on Substitute, as Seismic Toss does not break a Substitute of a Pokemon with 404 HP or more, and status moves, such as Toxic, do not hit through Substitute. As Seismic Toss is Blissey's only direct attacking option, she is very vulnerable to Taunt and will often find herself doing little for the team if affected by it. Though the Normal-type has only one weakness, it's a very common one in UU, with physical Fighting-type attackers such as Mienshao and Infernape running rampant in the tier. Blissey also suffers a bit from four-moveslot syndrome, as she really wishes she had access to all her support moves. Even so, Blissey is still one of the best walls in the UU tier and finds a home on many defensively minded teams.

De Blob
########
name: De Blob
move 1: Wish / Thunder Wave
move 2: Protect / Soft-Boiled
move 3: Seismic Toss
move 4: Heal Bell / Toxic / Stealth Rock
ability: Natural Cure
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
nature: Bold

Moves
========

Wish recovers Blissey's HP and can be used to heal her teammates as well. Thunder Wave allows Blissey to cripple opposing sweepers with paralysis, making it more difficult for them to sweep. Protect allows Blissey to stall out the foe with Toxic and heal herself safely with Wish. Soft-Boiled gives Blissey reliable recovery, prolonging her presence on the field. Seismic Toss gives Blissey some offensive presence and will break Substitutes if the foe's maximum HP stat is less than 404. Heal Bell lets Blissey act as a cleric, while Toxic can be used to put a timer on opposing sweepers and defensive Pokemon. Alternatively, Stealth Rock can be used to punish opposing switch-ins, allowing Blissey's teammates to sweep more easily. There are several combinations of Blissey's viable moves outside of the slashes seen here. However, every Blissey needs a recovery move and Seismic Toss in order to stay alive longer and not be completely shut down by Taunt, respectively.

Set Details
========

Full investment in HP and Defense and a Bold nature maximize Blissey's physical bulk and allow her to pass the largest Wishes possible to her teammates. Natural Cure allows Blissey to cure herself of status simply by switching out, and Leftovers provides Blissey with passive recovery.

Usage Tips
========

Blissey's main jobs are tanking special attacks and spreading status. Switch out if the opponent sends in a physical attacker; Blissey can take a few physical hits if need be, but she shouldn't be if she doesn't have to. Pokemon holding Lum Berry and Substitute users are major problems for this set, as they can get past Blissey's Toxic and get free turns. Seismic Toss may provide Blissey with some offensive potential, but she remains serious Taunt bait. Be cautious when trying to pass Wishes to teammates with low health, as the opponent can recognize this and KO the intended recipient. Moreover, as Roar and Whirlwind hit through Protect, Blissey can easily be phazed out when attempting to heal herself with Wish.

Team Options
========

A dedicated physical wall can deal with the physical attackers that give Blissey trouble. Nidoqueen, for example, makes a good partner, especially since she covers Blissey's Fighting-type weakness. Chesnaught and Arcanine make passable partners as well. Entry hazard removal is necessary, as Taunt users and physical attackers easily force Blissey out, and you will be switching Pokemon around a lot in order to keep passing Wishes, provided Blissey is running Wish. Donphan and Forretress are great Rapid Spinners that double as physical tanks. As Blissey will force a lot of switches herself, an entry hazard setter makes a good partner. Empoleon can both set and remove entry hazards, making it a prime choice. A Taunt user will help against Pokemon with Substitute and phazing moves. Tornadus and his Prankster Taunt make him a good option. You also need teammates that Blissey can support; you can pair her with nearly any setup sweeper in order to keep said sweeper healthy. Good setup Pokemon that she can support include Haxorus, Absol, and Lucario.

Other Options
########

Counter can net a surprise KO against physical attackers, but Blissey won't always survive an attack from one, nor does she typically have room for the move. Calm Mind is a decent win condition, but Blissey is better used in a supporting role. Blissey can also use Healing Wish to bring a teammate back to full health, but Blissey already supports her team well enough with Heal Bell and Wish.

Checks & Counters
########

**Fighting-types**: Machamp, Lucario, Infernape, and Mienshao all hit Blissey for super effective damage with their Fighting-type STAB moves, thus forcing her out.

**Taunt Users**: If Blissey is hit by Taunt, she will be unable to do much, and the foe can subsequently use her as setup bait. Crobat, Azelf, and Tornadus are a few Pokemon that can Taunt Blissey.

**Substitute Users**: Blissey cannot spread status to Pokemon behind a Substitute, so they can use it to gain a free turn to set up or attack. Furthermore, if the foe has a maximum HP stat of 404 or higher, Seismic Toss will fail to break its Substitute in one hit. Substitute + Calm Mind Suicune and Chandelure easily set up Substitute against Blissey, with Suicune having 404 HP to avoid having its Substitute broken in one shot and Chandelure being immune to the Fighting-type Seismic Toss.

**Pokemon with Lum Berry**: Similar to Substitute, Lum Berry provides Pokemon with protection from Blissey's attempts to inflict status on them. Haxorus, for example, enjoys having Lum Berry to protect itself from a single Toxic or Thunder Wave.

**Physical Attackers**: Though Blissey can take a few physical hits with her high HP and some Defense investment, she should only be switching into special attacks.

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
  • IMO, call the first set "De Blob"
  • Name tab and the tag above need to match on all sets.
  • You really don't need 252 HP on the wishpass set as you are going to be healing anything up to full with 4 HP anyway. Not worth going 252 HP/252 Def/4 SpD over 4 HP/252 Def/252 SpD.

Kreme

You might be right but you're not correct.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Honestly, I think Blissey's overall physical bulk is being extremely undermined here, it's bad make no mistake but that HP stat mitigates enough to the point it can take a few hits if need be. I don't think Mental Herb should be in OO since even if it does let Blissey take Taunt one time, it's EXTREMELY niche imo. "leftovers make her very difficult to take down" that statement isn't really attributing to wards Blissey's pros, it attributes towards the item itself so imo it should be taken off but ehh I'm not QC so idk. In C&C why isn't it "Pokemon with Lum Berry" instead of just "Lum Berry", the item itself isn't a counter or check since it really requires a set up sweeper behind it. You should really list examples in Team Options and C&C, there are a few columns where none are present.

Last edited:

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
For the most part Blisseys role really hasn't changed much since XY, and I think it'd be best if you took a rough outline from the previous analysis here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/blissey.3520431/

The main thing that's different is that the two sets you have listed don't play differently from each other, and in the previous analysis there was only one. I'd see what QC thinks, but I think that's fair.

Empress

is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
For the most part Blisseys role really hasn't changed much since XY, and I think it'd be best if you took a rough outline from the previous analysis here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/blissey.3520431/

The main thing that's different is that the two sets you have listed don't play differently from each other, and in the previous analysis there was only one. I'd see what QC thinks, but I think that's fair.
Yeah, I definitely see how similar those sets are, and when gamer boy told me to change the EVs on the Wish set, that really sealed the deal. The sets have been merged.

Personally I prefer 252 HP / 252 Def Blissey. It is significantly more physically bulky and it beats special attackers anyway:

0 Atk Swampert Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 211-250 (29.5 - 35%) -- 16.2% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Swampert Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 211-250 (32.4 - 38.4%) -- 98.5% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Adaptability Mega Beedrill U-turn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 308-364 (43.1 - 50.9%) -- 53.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Adaptability Mega Beedrill U-turn vs. 0 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 308-364 (47.3 - 55.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Strong Jaw Mega Sharpedo Crunch vs. 0 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 412-486 (63.2 - 74.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Strong Jaw Mega Sharpedo Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 412-486 (57.7 - 68%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Choice Specs Chandelure Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey: 246-291 (34.4 - 40.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Chandelure Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 252 SpD Blissey: 205-243 (31.4 - 37.3%) -- 86.3% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Just some random examples, except Chandelure's because there's no stronger neutral special attack in the tier. The HP investment isn't because of Wish passing, it helps Blissey deal with physical attacks better, which is great.

CM Blissey in OO, it's a fairly decent win condition. I have actually used this set and I can assure you it is viable enough.

Empress

Personally I prefer 252 HP / 252 Def Blissey. It is significantly more physically bulky and it beats special attackers anyway:

0 Atk Swampert Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 211-250 (29.5 - 35%) -- 16.2% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Swampert Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 211-250 (32.4 - 38.4%) -- 98.5% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Adaptability Mega Beedrill U-turn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 308-364 (43.1 - 50.9%) -- 53.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Adaptability Mega Beedrill U-turn vs. 0 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 308-364 (47.3 - 55.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Strong Jaw Mega Sharpedo Crunch vs. 0 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 412-486 (63.2 - 74.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Strong Jaw Mega Sharpedo Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 412-486 (57.7 - 68%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Choice Specs Chandelure Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey: 246-291 (34.4 - 40.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Chandelure Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 252 SpD Blissey: 205-243 (31.4 - 37.3%) -- 86.3% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Just some random examples, except Chandelure's because there's no stronger neutral special attack in the tier. The HP investment isn't because of Wish passing, it helps Blissey deal with physical attacks better, which is great.

CM Blissey in OO, it's a fairly decent win condition. I have actually used this set and I can assure you it is viable enough.
Thank you very much- all changes implemented. In the meantime, I put that spread as an alternative under set details; if any other QC members think I should make it the primary spread, please let me know.

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Fully agree with Hikari, Blissey has no reason to run special defense EVs. The primary spread should definitely be max HP / max Def / Bold. It needs to be as physically bulky as possible.

Also the slashes for the set seem a bit messy, Heal Bell should not be slashed with Protect as Blissey often runs a Cleric + Wishpassing set of Wish / Protect / SToss / Heal Bell. So Protect should be slashed with Toxic and T-Wave in the first slot while Heal Bell can be slashed with Stealth Rock in the final slot as Blissey is one of the best SR users in the tier with its ability to force out nearly every special attacker. It gives it something better to do than just sit there taking hits. Thoughts on this Hikari ?

Agreeing with IronBullet93

The slashes should be

Wish / Softboiled
Protect / Toxic / Thunder Wave
Seismic Toss
Heal Bell / Stealth Rock

That way they represent 'standard' Blissey better. However, Blissey has the ability to run different combination of those moves (Wish + Softboiled Blissey w/o Protect, Wish + Protect + Status, etc) to adapt to the needs of its team, so that should be mentioned in Moves.

Not sure I like that moves spread, Hikari , for precisely what you mentioned. I'm thinking more of

Wish / T-Wave
Protect / Softboiled
Seismic Toss
Heal Bell / Toxic / SR

maybe Seismic Toss first since it's the only irreplaceable one. That way it can go WishTect + HB, WishTect + Toxic, WishBoiled + HB, WishBoiled + Toxic, and T-Wave + Softboiled + SR, which beats Mega Blaster with SR on the field :o

Also I think Calm /could/ be slashed after Bold with 252 HP / 252 Def, in which case the spread would be 240 / 252 / 16 for efficiency. It'd only be 11 less points in Defense and 30/1 in SpDef, prolly not a big difference in calcs in any way, but still something.

The thing is that regardless of the slashes, there will always be combinations that won't be represented. Using yours for example: Softboiled + Heal Bell + SR, Softboiled + Toxic + SR, Wish + Protect + Thunder Wave. The only way of mentioning all combinations in the analysis is mentioning Blissey's ability to switch around the few viable moves it has.

That said, I wouldn't oppose your slash because pretty much every combination with healing move + seismic toss works, and yours seem to cover the most common ones.

Despite the fact Blissey has a really limited number of viable moves, it is capable of adapting to the needs of its team by using different combinations of the moves displayed in the slashes. However, these combinations must always have at least one recovery move and Seismic Toss.

Something like that, but probably worded better in the real analysis.

EDIT: oh yeah, qc 1/3

Last edited:

Psywaves

Procrastinating Pedantic Perfectionist™
is a Contributor Alumnus
Add
Capitalise/capital -> lower case

Remove
Comments

Overview
########

Astronomical HP and Special Defense make Blissey the premier special wall of UU. In addition, Blissey has access to a plethora of support moves such as Wish and Heal Bell, allowing her to aid her team by providing clerical support and tanking all special hits. Mono-Normal typing gives Blissey only one weakness, and Natural Cure allows her to absorb status problems. In combination, these two traits make Blissey difficult to wear down. Access to Seismic Toss and Toxic are all Blissey needs to not be setup bait. However, even with those options of dealing damage, Blissey is still pretty passive. She also struggles against Pokemon that rely on Substitute, as Seismic Toss does not break a Substitute of a Pokemon with 404 HP or more, and status moves, (AC) such as Toxic, (AC) do not hit through Substitute. As Seismic Toss is Blissey's only direct attacking option, she is very vulnerable to Taunt, (RC) and will often find herself doing little for the team if affected by it. Though the Normal-type has only one weakness, it's a very common one in UU, with physical Fighting-type attackers such as Mienshao and Infernape running rampant in the tier. Blissey also suffers a bit from four-(remove hyphen)moveslot syndrome, as she really wishes she had access to all her support moves. Even so, Blissey is still one of the best walls in the UU tier, (RC) and finds a home on many defensively minded teams.

De Blob
########
move 2: Protect / Soft-(add hyphen)Boiled

Moves
========

Wish recovers Blissey's HP, (RC) and can be used to heal her teammates as well. Thunder Wave allows Blissey to cripple the speed of opposing sweepers with paralysis, making it more difficult for them to sweep. Protect allows Blissey to stall out the foe with Toxic, (RC) and to heal herself safely with Wish. Soft-Boiled gives Blissey easy reliable recovery, prolonging her presence on the field. Seismic Toss gives Blissey some offensive presence, (RC) and will break Substitutes if the foe has base 99 HP or lower. Heal Bell lets Blissey act as a cleric, while Toxic can be used to put a timer on opposing sweepers and defensive Pokemon. Alternatively, Stealth Rock can be used to punish opposing switch-ins, allowing Blissey's teammates to sweep more easily. There are several combinations of Blissey's viable moves outside of the slashes seen here. However, every Blissey needs a recovery move and Seismic Toss in order to stay alive longer and not be completely susceptible to Taunt.

Set Details
========

A Bold nature is the best one to makes Blissey as physically bulky as possible. Full investment in HP and Defense maximizes Blissey's physical bulk, (RC) and allows her to pass the largest Wishes possible to her teammates. Natural Cure essentially grants Blissey an essential immunity to status problems (personally I'd mention that Blissey needs to switch out to shrug off the status, but that's your call), and Leftovers provides Blissey with passive healing. (naturally plural items are treated as singular when written as a single object)

Usage Tips
========

Blissey's main jobs are tanking special attacks and spreading status. Switch out if the opponent sends in a physical attacker; Blissey can take a few physical hits if need be, but she shouldn't be taking too many. Lum Berry and Substitute are major problems for this set, as they allow the foe can to stop Blissey's attempt to give it a status problem. Seismic Toss may provide Blissey with some offense, but she remains serious Taunt bait. Be cautious when trying to pass Wishes to teammates with low health, as the opponent can recognize this and send in a check or counter of their own. (removed this bit because I felt like it would've been more fitting if there was a direct reference to a check or counter on Blissey's team) Moreover, as Roar and Whirlwind hit through Protect, Blissey can easily be phazed out when attempting to heal herself with Wish.

Team Options
========

A dedicated physical wall can deal with the physical attackers that give Blissey trouble. Nidoqueen, for example, makes a good partner, especially since she covers Blissey's Fighting-type weakness. Chesnaught and Arcanine make passable partners as well. Entry hazard removal is necessary, as Taunt users and physical attackers easily force Blissey out, and you will be switching Pokemon around a lot in order to keep passing Wishes, provided you are running Wish. Donphan and Forretress are great Rapid Spinners partners that double as physical tanks. As Blissey will force a lot of switches herself, an entry hazard setter makes a good partner. Empoleon can both set and remove entry hazards, making it a prime choice. A user of Taunt will help against Pokemon with Substitute and phazing moves. Tornadus and his Prankster Taunt make him a good option. You also need teammates that Blissey can support; you can pair her with nearly any setup sweeper in order to keep said sweeper healthy. Setup Pokemon that she can support include, (AC) but are not limited to, (AC) Haxorus, Absol, and Lucario.

Other Options
########

Counter can net a surprise KO against physical attackers, but Blissey won't always survive an attack from one, nor does she typically have room for the move. Calm Mind is a decent win condition, but Blissey is better used in a supporting role. Blissey can also use Healing Wish to bring a teammate back to full health, but Blissey already supports her team well enough with Heal Bell and Wish.

Checks & Counters
########

**Fighting-types**: They're everywhere in the UU tier. Machamp, Lucario, Infernape, and Mienshao all hit Blissey for super effectively damage with their Fighting-type STAB moves, thus forcing her out.

**Pokemon with Taunt Users**: If Blissey is hit by Taunt, she will be unable to do much, and the opponent foe can subsequently use her as setup bait. Crobat, Azelf, and Tornadus are a few Pokemon that can Taunt Blissey.

**Pokemon with Substitute Users**: Blissey cannot spread status to Pokemon behind a Substitute, so they can use it to gain a free turn of set up. Furthermore, if the Pokemon has a 404 maximum HP or higher, Seismic Toss will fail to break the Substitute in one hit. Substitute + Calm Mind Suicune and Chandelure enjoy the effects of Substitute, with Suicune having 404 HP to avoid having its Substitute broken in one shot, (RC) and Chandelure being immune to the Fighting-type Seismic Toss.

**Pokemon with Lum Berry**: Similar to Substitute, Lum Berry provides Pokemon with protection from Blissey's attempts to inflict status on them. Haxorus, for example, enjoys having Lum Berry to protect itself from a single Toxic or Thunder Wave.

**Physical Attackers**: Though Blissey can take a few physical hits with her strong high HP and some Defense investment, she should only be switching into special attacks.

GP 1/2

Empress

Add
Capitalise/capital -> lower case

Remove
Comments

Overview
########

Astronomical HP and Special Defense make Blissey the premier special wall of UU. In addition, Blissey has access to a plethora of support moves such as Wish and Heal Bell, allowing her to aid her team by providing clerical support and tanking all special hits. Mono-Normal typing gives Blissey only one weakness, and Natural Cure allows her to absorb status problems. In combination, these two traits make Blissey difficult to wear down. Access to Seismic Toss and Toxic are all Blissey needs to not be setup bait. However, even with those options of dealing damage, Blissey is still pretty passive. She also struggles against Pokemon that rely on Substitute, as Seismic Toss does not break a Substitute of a Pokemon with 404 HP or more, and status moves, (AC) such as Toxic, (AC) do not hit through Substitute. As Seismic Toss is Blissey's only direct attacking option, she is very vulnerable to Taunt, (RC) and will often find herself doing little for the team if affected by it. Though the Normal-type has only one weakness, it's a very common one in UU, with physical Fighting-type attackers such as Mienshao and Infernape running rampant in the tier. Blissey also suffers a bit from four-(remove hyphen)moveslot syndrome, as she really wishes she had access to all her support moves. Even so, Blissey is still one of the best walls in the UU tier, (RC) and finds a home on many defensively minded teams.

De Blob
########
move 2: Protect / Soft-(add hyphen)Boiled

Moves
========

Wish recovers Blissey's HP, (RC) and can be used to heal her teammates as well. Thunder Wave allows Blissey to cripple the speed of opposing sweepers with paralysis, making it more difficult for them to sweep. Protect allows Blissey to stall out the foe with Toxic, (RC) and to heal herself safely with Wish. Soft-Boiled gives Blissey easy reliable recovery, prolonging her presence on the field. Seismic Toss gives Blissey some offensive presence, (RC) and will break Substitutes if the foe has base 99 HP or lower. Heal Bell lets Blissey act as a cleric, while Toxic can be used to put a timer on opposing sweepers and defensive Pokemon. Alternatively, Stealth Rock can be used to punish opposing switch-ins, allowing Blissey's teammates to sweep more easily. There are several combinations of Blissey's viable moves outside of the slashes seen here. However, every Blissey needs a recovery move and Seismic Toss in order to stay alive longer and not be completely susceptible to Taunt.

Set Details
========

A Bold nature is the best one to makes Blissey as physically bulky as possible. Full investment in HP and Defense maximizes Blissey's physical bulk, (RC) and allows her to pass the largest Wishes possible to her teammates. Natural Cure essentially grants Blissey an essential immunity to status problems (personally I'd mention that Blissey needs to switch out to shrug off the status, but that's your call), and Leftovers provides Blissey with passive healing. (naturally plural items are treated as singular when written as a single object)

Usage Tips
========

Blissey's main jobs are tanking special attacks and spreading status. Switch out if the opponent sends in a physical attacker; Blissey can take a few physical hits if need be, but she shouldn't be taking too many. Lum Berry and Substitute are major problems for this set, as they allow the foe can to stop Blissey's attempt to give it a status problem. Seismic Toss may provide Blissey with some offense, but she remains serious Taunt bait. Be cautious when trying to pass Wishes to teammates with low health, as the opponent can recognize this and send in a check or counter of their own. (removed this bit because I felt like it would've been more fitting if there was a direct reference to a check or counter on Blissey's team) Moreover, as Roar and Whirlwind hit through Protect, Blissey can easily be phazed out when attempting to heal herself with Wish.

Team Options
========

A dedicated physical wall can deal with the physical attackers that give Blissey trouble. Nidoqueen, for example, makes a good partner, especially since she covers Blissey's Fighting-type weakness. Chesnaught and Arcanine make passable partners as well. Entry hazard removal is necessary, as Taunt users and physical attackers easily force Blissey out, and you will be switching Pokemon around a lot in order to keep passing Wishes, provided you are running Wish. Donphan and Forretress are great Rapid Spinners partners that double as physical tanks. As Blissey will force a lot of switches herself, an entry hazard setter makes a good partner. Empoleon can both set and remove entry hazards, making it a prime choice. A user of Taunt will help against Pokemon with Substitute and phazing moves. Tornadus and his Prankster Taunt make him a good option. You also need teammates that Blissey can support; you can pair her with nearly any setup sweeper in order to keep said sweeper healthy. Setup Pokemon that she can support include, (AC) but are not limited to, (AC) Haxorus, Absol, and Lucario.

Other Options
########

Checks & Counters
########

**Fighting-types**: They're everywhere in the UU tier. Machamp, Lucario, Infernape, and Mienshao all hit Blissey for super effectively damage with their Fighting-type STAB moves, thus forcing her out.

**Pokemon with Taunt Users**: If Blissey is hit by Taunt, she will be unable to do much, and the opponent foe can subsequently use her as setup bait. Crobat, Azelf, and Tornadus are a few Pokemon that can Taunt Blissey.

**Pokemon with Substitute Users**: Blissey cannot spread status to Pokemon behind a Substitute, so they can use it to gain a free turn of set up. Furthermore, if the Pokemon has a 404 maximum HP or higher, Seismic Toss will fail to break the Substitute in one hit. Substitute + Calm Mind Suicune and Chandelure enjoy the effects of Substitute, with Suicune having 404 HP to avoid having its Substitute broken in one shot, (RC) and Chandelure being immune to the Fighting-type Seismic Toss.

**Physical Attackers**: Though Blissey can take a few physical hits with her strong high HP and some Defense investment, she should only be switching into special attacks.

GP 1/2
Thanks! Did this.

Weebl

Hey!
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
add/(un)Capitalize
remove
(comments)
Overview
########

Blissey's astronomical HP and Special Defense make it Blissey the premier special wall of UU. In addition, Blissey has access to a plethora of support moves, (AC) such as Wish and Heal Bell, allowing her to aid her team by providing clerical support and tanking all special hits. Mono- Its Normal typing gives it Blissey only one weakness, and Natural Cure allows her to absorb status problems effects. In combination, these two traits make Blissey difficult to wear down. Access to Seismic Toss and Toxic are all Blissey needs to not be setup bait. However, even with those options of dealing damage, Blissey is still pretty passive. She also struggles against Pokemon that rely on Substitute, as Seismic Toss does not break a Substitute of a Pokemon with 404 HP or more, and status moves, such as Toxic, do not hit through Substitute. As Seismic Toss is Blissey's only direct attacking option, she is very vulnerable to Taunt and will often find herself doing little for the team if affected by it. Though the Normal-type has only one weakness, it's a very common one in UU, with physical Fighting-type attackers such as Mienshao and Infernape running rampant in the tier. Blissey also suffers a bit from four-(add hyphen)moveslot syndrome, as she really wishes she had access to all her support moves. Even so, Blissey is still one of the best walls in the UU tier and finds a home on many defensively minded teams.

De Blob
########

Moves
========

Wish recovers Blissey's HP and can be used to heal her teammates as well. Thunder Wave allows Blissey to cripple opposing sweepers with paralysis, making it more difficult for them to sweep. Protect allows Blissey to stall out the foe with Toxic and heal herself safely with Wish. Soft-Boiled gives Blissey reliable recovery, prolonging her presence on the field. Seismic Toss gives Blissey some offensive presence, (RC) and will break Substitutes if the foe's maximum HP stat is less (Ik, ik "fewer" is a thing, but "fewer HP"? That's just awkward.) than 404 has base 99 HP or lower. Heal Bell lets Blissey act as a cleric, while Toxic can be used to put a timer on opposing sweepers and defensive Pokemon. Alternatively, Stealth Rock can be used to punish opposing switch-ins, allowing Blissey's teammates to sweep more easily. There are several combinations of Blissey's viable moves outside of the slashes seen here. However, every Blissey needs a recovery move and Seismic Toss in order to stay alive longer and not be completely shut down by susceptible to Taunt, (AC) respectively.

Set Details
========

A Bold nature is the best one to make Blissey as physically bulky as possible. Full investment in HP and Defense and a Bold nature maximizes Blissey's physical bulk, (RC) and allows her to pass the largest Wishes possible to her teammates. Natural Cure allows Blissey to cure itself of status essentially grants Blissey an immunity to status problems simply by switching out, and Leftovers provides Blissey with passive recovery healing.

Usage Tips
========

Blissey's main jobs are tanking special attacks and spreading status. Switch out if the opponent sends in a physical attacker; Blissey can take a few physical hits if need be, but she shouldn't be taking too many if she doesn't have to. Pokemon holding Lum Berry and Substitute users are major problems for this set, as they allow the foe to can get past Blissey's Toxic and get free turns stop Blissey's attempt to give it a status problem. Seismic Toss may provide Blissey with some offensive potential, but she remains serious Taunt bait. Be cautious when trying to pass Wishes to teammates with low health, as the opponent can recognize this and send in a check or counter. (They could just as easily attack.) Moreover, as Roar and Whirlwind hit through Protect, Blissey can easily be phazed out when attempting to heal herself with Wish.

Team Options
========

A dedicated physical wall can deal with the physical attackers that give Blissey trouble. Nidoqueen, for example, makes a good partner, especially since she covers Blissey's Fighting-type weakness. Chesnaught and Arcanine make passable partners as well. Entry hazard removal is necessary, as Taunt users and physical attackers easily force Blissey out, and you will be switching Pokemon around a lot in order to keep passing Wishes, provided you are Blissey is running Wish. Donphan and Forretress are great Rapid Spinners that double as physical tanks. As Blissey will force a lot of switches herself, an entry hazard setter makes a good partner. Empoleon can both set and remove entry hazards, making it a prime choice. A user of Taunt user will help against Pokemon with Substitute and phazing moves. Tornadus and his Prankster Taunt make him a good option. You also need teammates that Blissey can support; you can pair her with nearly any setup sweeper in order to keep said sweeper healthy. Good setup Pokemon that she can support include, but are not limited to, Haxorus, Absol, and Lucario.

Other Options
########

Checks & Counters
########

**Fighting-types**: Machamp, Lucario, Infernape, and Mienshao all hit Blissey for super effective damage with their Fighting-type STAB moves, thus forcing her out.

**Taunt Users**: If Blissey is hit by Taunt, she will be unable to do much, and the foe can subsequently use her as setup bait. Crobat, Azelf, and Tornadus are a few Pokemon that can Taunt Blissey.

**Substitute Users**: Blissey cannot spread status to Pokemon behind a Substitute, so they can use it to gain a free turn of set up to setup or attack. Furthermore, if the foe Pokemon has a maximum HP stat of 404 maximum HP or higher, Seismic Toss will fail to break the its Substitute in one hit. Substitute + Calm Mind Suicune and Chandelure enjoy the effects easily set up Substitute against Blissey, with Suicune having 404 HP to avoid having its Substitute broken in one shot and Chandelure being immune to the Fighting-type Seismic Toss.

**Physical Attackers**: Though Blissey can take a few physical hits with her high HP and some Defense investment, she should only be switching into special attacks.

GP 2/2

Empress

add/(un)Capitalize
remove
(comments)
Overview
########

Blissey's astronomical HP and Special Defense make it Blissey the premier special wall of UU. In addition, Blissey has access to a plethora of support moves, (AC) such as Wish and Heal Bell, allowing her to aid her team by providing clerical support and tanking all special hits. Mono- Its Normal typing gives it Blissey only one weakness, and Natural Cure allows her to absorb status problems effects. In combination, these two traits make Blissey difficult to wear down. Access to Seismic Toss and Toxic are all Blissey needs to not be setup bait. However, even with those options of dealing damage, Blissey is still pretty passive. She also struggles against Pokemon that rely on Substitute, as Seismic Toss does not break a Substitute of a Pokemon with 404 HP or more, and status moves, such as Toxic, do not hit through Substitute. As Seismic Toss is Blissey's only direct attacking option, she is very vulnerable to Taunt and will often find herself doing little for the team if affected by it. Though the Normal-type has only one weakness, it's a very common one in UU, with physical Fighting-type attackers such as Mienshao and Infernape running rampant in the tier. Blissey also suffers a bit from four-(add hyphen)moveslot syndrome, as she really wishes she had access to all her support moves. Even so, Blissey is still one of the best walls in the UU tier and finds a home on many defensively minded teams.

De Blob
########

Moves
========

Wish recovers Blissey's HP and can be used to heal her teammates as well. Thunder Wave allows Blissey to cripple opposing sweepers with paralysis, making it more difficult for them to sweep. Protect allows Blissey to stall out the foe with Toxic and heal herself safely with Wish. Soft-Boiled gives Blissey reliable recovery, prolonging her presence on the field. Seismic Toss gives Blissey some offensive presence, (RC) and will break Substitutes if the foe's maximum HP stat is less (Ik, ik "fewer" is a thing, but "fewer HP"? That's just awkward.) than 404 has base 99 HP or lower. Heal Bell lets Blissey act as a cleric, while Toxic can be used to put a timer on opposing sweepers and defensive Pokemon. Alternatively, Stealth Rock can be used to punish opposing switch-ins, allowing Blissey's teammates to sweep more easily. There are several combinations of Blissey's viable moves outside of the slashes seen here. However, every Blissey needs a recovery move and Seismic Toss in order to stay alive longer and not be completely shut down by susceptible to Taunt, (AC) respectively.

Set Details
========

A Bold nature is the best one to make Blissey as physically bulky as possible. Full investment in HP and Defense and a Bold nature maximizes Blissey's physical bulk, (RC) and allows her to pass the largest Wishes possible to her teammates. Natural Cure allows Blissey to cure itself of status essentially grants Blissey an immunity to status problems simply by switching out, and Leftovers provides Blissey with passive recovery healing.

Usage Tips
========

Blissey's main jobs are tanking special attacks and spreading status. Switch out if the opponent sends in a physical attacker; Blissey can take a few physical hits if need be, but she shouldn't be taking too many if she doesn't have to. Pokemon holding Lum Berry and Substitute users are major problems for this set, as they allow the foe to can get past Blissey's Toxic and get free turns stop Blissey's attempt to give it a status problem. Seismic Toss may provide Blissey with some offensive potential, but she remains serious Taunt bait. Be cautious when trying to pass Wishes to teammates with low health, as the opponent can recognize this and send in a check or counter. (They could just as easily attack.) Moreover, as Roar and Whirlwind hit through Protect, Blissey can easily be phazed out when attempting to heal herself with Wish.

Team Options
========

A dedicated physical wall can deal with the physical attackers that give Blissey trouble. Nidoqueen, for example, makes a good partner, especially since she covers Blissey's Fighting-type weakness. Chesnaught and Arcanine make passable partners as well. Entry hazard removal is necessary, as Taunt users and physical attackers easily force Blissey out, and you will be switching Pokemon around a lot in order to keep passing Wishes, provided you are Blissey is running Wish. Donphan and Forretress are great Rapid Spinners that double as physical tanks. As Blissey will force a lot of switches herself, an entry hazard setter makes a good partner. Empoleon can both set and remove entry hazards, making it a prime choice. A user of Taunt user will help against Pokemon with Substitute and phazing moves. Tornadus and his Prankster Taunt make him a good option. You also need teammates that Blissey can support; you can pair her with nearly any setup sweeper in order to keep said sweeper healthy. Good setup Pokemon that she can support include, but are not limited to, Haxorus, Absol, and Lucario.

Other Options
########

Checks & Counters
########

**Substitute Users**: Blissey cannot spread status to Pokemon behind a Substitute, so they can use it to gain a free turn of set up to setup or attack. Furthermore, if the foe Pokemon has a maximum HP stat of 404 maximum HP or higher, Seismic Toss will fail to break the its Substitute in one hit. Substitute + Calm Mind Suicune and Chandelure enjoy the effects easily set up Substitute against Blissey, with Suicune having 404 HP to avoid having its Substitute broken in one shot and Chandelure being immune to the Fighting-type Seismic Toss.

GP 2/2
And we're done! Thank you so much!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)