Blockin' Blissey?

With the advent of HG/SS came a new toy for Blissey in the form of Block, which could conceivably be used to pin down a special sweeper and whittle them to their deaths while Blissey shrugs off their attacks. It hasn't yet been listed in Blissey's entry in the Strategy Pokedex (save for a small mention in the Ubers section as a strategy to remove Wobbuffet), so I thought maybe it had gone unnoticed? Or maybe Smogon analysts just haven't deemed it good enough to replace with any of Blissey's pre-existing moves?

Anyway, I've tested it just a bit on Shoddy and the results have been mixed, but not unfavorable: On the occasion that special attacker doesn't switch out immediately after your Blissey switches in, you can proceed to Block them and guarantee a kill (provided they don't carry Shed Shell, U-turn or Baton Pass, which is unlikely). The downside to this is that it usually does not work more than once as special sweepers are given even more motivation to get the hell out, having knowledge of this tactic. However, this is also a minor advantage: Threatened with Block, your opponent (no doubt mourning the loss of their mercilessly slain special sweeper) will be reluctant to stay in with another special attacker if they have one. This makes predicting the switch much easier.

Of course, there are always downsides. Running Block could force Blissey to forgo some other important support or attacking move. I've found myself frequently walled by Gengar (as he is immune to Seismic Toss and Toxic) and certain steel types if I do not carry Seismic Toss or another attacking move.

Overall, I have found Block to be a handy (if situational) tool for Blissey in testing, and I thought I'd bring attention of it to the community. I'd appreciate your feedback. :)

Aeron Ee1

Nom nom nom
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
As a rule of the thumb, any sweeper who would stay in on Blissey would carry Explosion. Gengar.. Magnezone.. Heatran... Azelf... etc. or a boosting move that eventually overwhelm Blissey like Nasty Plot or Calm Mind..

I just can't see anyone leaving their special sweeper in against Blisse unless:

a) They have Explosion
b) They're mixed
c) They have a boosting move
d) They're being used as death fodder..

either way, the opponent will get his strategy through...

Could you explain that last comment Juju? You make it sound as though Block prevents healing, but it only prevents escape (aside from the use of Baton Pass, U-turn, or Shed Shell).

Blissey already does it's job when it comes to taking on and walling Special sweepers, it does not need anything else. I can see it being useful for taking out the opponents walls or Pokemon switch ins through Block though. Block prevents the opponent from escaping that turn, not you. Blissey can simply switch out to a Pokemon that will be able to injure the Pokemon it trapped. For example, you mentioned being walled by Gengar. Well, use block, then switch out to a pursuit user like Tyranitar (since Gengar may be running HP Fire, so bringing him out might be riskier, theres also the possibility of running explosion, but Pokemon like Ttar and Scizor can switch into it anyways).

I feel as though Block would be much more useful on Pokemon like Lickilicky, who can trap and kill through preying on a 4x weakness, or simply exploding and taking out a Pokemon that would be a major problem for your team.

As a rule of the thumb, any sweeper who would stay in on Blissey would carry Explosion. Gengar.. Magnezone.. Heatran... Azelf... etc. or a boosting move that eventually overwhelm Blissey like Nasty Plot or Calm Mind..

I just can't see anyone leaving their special sweeper in against Blisse unless:

a) They have Explosion
b) They're mixed
c) They have a boosting move
d) They're being used as death fodder..

either way, the opponent will get his strategy through...
This is true enough on paper, but you'd be surprised how many folks may have a reason, however significant, to leave their special sweeper in for that one extra turn. All it takes is one turn, and they're trapped. Like I said, just an idea, which is why feedback is appreciated.

The point is that there are either 2 scenarios:

A) You wall them
B) You don't

In either case, trapping them isn't terribly useful.

If you wall them continue to wall them and get your free hits in until they swith, in which case you get a free hit in on something else.

If you don't wall them, then trapping them isn't terribly useful as they will just overwhelm you.

This move is essentially only useful if you want to avoid double switches.

On a stall team, Blissey is so strapped for moveslots as it is, that wasting one of them on Block isn't worth it. I mean, no skilled player will leave a special attacker that is walled by Blissey in on the pink blob.

Block is an ok, though gimmicky move, on offensive teams that use things like Smeargle in OU and Mew in Ubers to trap and pass to an opponent that can set up and sweep.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Oops i'm sorry I was thinking of Imprison. Block is still a gimmicky move nonetheless.
You were thinking of Heal Block.

Anyways, I agree with Aeron Ee1. No smart player will leave their special sweeper in on Blissey unless it can threaten her in some way, which means Blocking it wouldn't be a good idea. The only use I can really see is forcing the Heatran/Gengar/Azelf to use Explosion, predicting the Explosion and then using Protect or switch to a Ghost-type. But with Blissey, you'll probably end up making them Explode anyways. If the special sweeper cannot threaten Blissey, it'll be swapping out to a Pokemon that will force Blissey out, making Block useless (whilst at least Thunder Wave or Toxic does something to the switch-in, or Stealth Rock supports the team).

Block definitely does not deserve a moveslot when she already has many more useful moves to use.

Imo, if you are going to be using up a move slot for Block on Blissey, you might as well be using an Umbreon so you can baton pass that Block/Mean Look also, which is more useful. But of course, chances are, a U-Turner will come in and ruin things.

Andy Snype

Mr. Music
Block can be used in conjunction with pursuit when you switch out to a new Pokemon, but even then
Similarly, as a pursuit user switches in on the block, it can ironically trap the blissey.

As a generic note:

Blissey's moves have these purposes (Based on what I've seen)

-- T-Wave/Toxic <-- Offensive Team support. Toxic is commonly used in conjunction with Fthrower or s-toss to deal with steel types
--F-thrower/Ice Beam/S-Toss <-- Damage, each move can be walled by certain threats. Sometimes, either the Offensive or Defensive support slot is given up to hamper certain switch-ins. (Not too many blisseys have used tbolt these days, probably because Gyara users are reluctant to switch in on the status move? Even then they have taunt...)
--Softboiled/Wish -- <-- Self-recovery.
--Protect/Aromatherapy/Stealth Rock <--- Defensive (Offensive, if using SR) Team support

Well, anyway, to put block in, would likely override one of the Team support move slots. Blissey's main job in a team is to sponge special attacks and to provide some support to the team. With Block, its usefulness is hampered or it becomes an inferior wobb/naut. Lack of Encore prevents opponent from setting up on you. Lack of Destiny Bond prevents you from guaranteeing one kill.

While Block's introduction to bliss could cause some gimmicky ideas, I don't think it would make a huge impact on the metagame.

Although, counter/block bliss would be an interesting idea...

It is worth noting that Blissey can Block a Natural Cure user (Celebi, Starmie) that is switching in to scout which status move she has, and proceed to take them out with Toxic. A set consisting of Softboiled / Block / Toxic / damage move seems viable, albeit gimmicky.

This is a very situational move, and I agree with many of the previous posts that her other moves are too important to drop in favor of Block. I just wanted to point out a scenario where this could work that I don't recall being mentioned yet.

While it would work if you managed to actually block a complete special attack with no mix, no set up moves, ect, it is incredibly unlikely since most blissey switch ins are physical.

Also, if you blocked gengar, they will probably focus blast, so you can't switch in tyranitar or scizor because they would be KOed.

haunter

Banned deucer.
I think that block might have some ueses along with charm and a bold max hp\Def Blissey. Basically you charm on the predicted switch in, and then trap something else that your opponent switches in after the Atk drop, or proceed to stall the -2 Atk physical attacker. Very few Pokemon will stay in on a max HP\Def Blissey at -2 Atk, especially those that lack stab figthing attacks. CB Tar for example only manages 34.9% - 41.2% with stone edge when at -2 Atk. Mix Mence outrage deals 28.2% - 33.2%.

It shoud be something like:
Blissey@leftovers
nature: bold
EVs: 252 HP\ 252 Def\ 4 SpD
-charm
-block
-softboiled
-toxic\seismic toss

I'm just theorymoning here, so it might as well not work.

I agree that Blissey usually has better things to do, but block on her may not be as bad as it seems.

The only real use I see for this is preventing the double switch when they switch into their physical attacker, which will be blocked now. Something like Wobbuffet but not that overpowered.

I just unexpectedly got blocked by a lead bronzong. I set up stealth rock with tyranitar lead, and planned to switch out when it used block. I was running Stone edge, Earthquake, SR, and Pursuit. I couldn't do anything to it while it earthquaked me to death.
Block really only works because of the surprise factor and under very situational requirements.

Block on Blissey is a waste of a move slot on Blissey because Blissey barely needs to attack to threaten a majority of the special sweepers. Merely switching racks up damage from entry hazards which what you want to do with sweepers where Blissey is your primary answer. And not to mention using Block turns Blissey aggravates her problem of being set up on by physical sweepers. If a physical sweeper switches in on the turn Blissey uses Block clears the way for Lucario, Scizor, Breloom, Mence and a load of other Pokemon to switch in in cases where a status move such as Thunder Wave or Toxic would cripple them.

I think that block might have some ueses along with charm and a bold max hp\Def Blissey. Basically you charm on the predicted switch in, and then trap something else that your opponent switches in after the Atk drop, or proceed to stall the -2 Atk physical attacker. Very few Pokemon will stay in on a max HP\Def Blissey at -2 Atk, especially those that lack stab figthing attacks. CB Tar for example only manages 34.9% - 41.2% with stone edge when at -2 Atk. Mix Mence outrage deals 28.2% - 33.2%.

It shoud be something like:
Blissey@leftovers
nature: bold
EVs: 252 HP\ 252 Def\ 4 SpD
-charm
-block
-softboiled
-toxic\seismic toss

I'm just theorymoning here, so it might as well not work.

I agree that Blissey usually has better things to do, but block on her may not be as bad as it seems.
I think that set would work well with Wish/Protect over the last two slots if you had Toxic Spikes support (as long as you got rid of Scizor beforehand). It seems to me that there are much better lures out there, though.

Lockeness

(e^(i╥))+1=0
I agree with Haunter. A charm Blissey with block could be used to halt the opposing teams offensive momentum. The current metagame is built around the idea of momentum and Block Blissey provides an interesting way to stop an opponent from building up offensive pressure. Block Blissey may not be the best chioce for a stall teams but it may work well on another type of team. It is a fascinating idea just the same.

I agree with Haunter. A charm Blissey with block could be used to halt the opposing teams offensive momentum. The current metagame is built around the idea of momentum and Block Blissey provides an interesting way to stop an opponent from building up offensive pressure. Block Blissey may not be the best chioce for a stall teams but it may work well on another type of team. It is a fascinating idea just the same.
Switching plays a great part in offensive momentum. Often times switch, or at times double switch, in to a Pokemon that can set-up on the Pokemon your opponent has in play. Heavy Offense teams create a lot of momentum particularly on specialized walls like Blissey by switching into a Pokemon that would switch out on it. A good example would be a switch to a SDLuke. Now if Luke switches into Blissey while Bliss uses Block, Luke can just SD without a problem considering that Blissey would switch out due to fear of CC. This also goes to a load of other set-up sweepers like SDScizor, DDMence and Loom. Loom in particular is a big problem because he outspeeds Blissey and we all know Loom just owns a lot of teams if he sets up on somebody slower than him. So in general using Block Blissey against offensive teams that rely on offensive pressure (particularly heavy offense) is just plain bad.

It's sort of like an OU version of Wobbuffet, Block Blissey is... you block on a switch or otherwise, then switch to an appropriate counter / setup sweeper. =0 Sounds viable to me not as a trapping technique so much as a setup technique.

Block Blissey is nothing like Wobb. And you can simply switch into a counter without wasting the time using Block by doing something actually useful like Wish or Thunder Wave. It just wastes a moveslot.

haunter

Banned deucer.
That's why you need to use charm on the predicted switch in. As stated above at -2 Atk even things like CB TTar won't be able to 2hko Bliss, which means that they will probably switch out giving you the chance to block the next Pkm your opponent switches in, be it Starmie or Celebi, which you can prooceed to stall with toxic and softboiled.

Also note that even Breloom is crippled by charm on the switch in, as after you take the spore you can easily use it as set up fodder for Gyarados, Salamence (which will reduce it to -3 Atk thanks to intimidate) or Latias. Lucario and other Pokemon that carry STAB fighting attacks are another story, but even then, when at -2 they'll be way less troublesome to switch in (even if Lucario uses SD on Blissesy's switch out it will still be at 0 Atk not +2 like it usually is).

In that case, is it a fair conclusion that block only adds to charm's efficacy IF the opponent only has 1 reliable blissey counter?

Yes, this is an obvious conclusion. Blocking something with Blissey really only eliminates the possibility of a double switch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)