Blue Frog's Thread Spam

Blue Frog

It's lucidity. So clear!
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Most Recent Work: Random Studies

Not taking requests at the moment
Hi Smogon! I'm Blue Frog. Since I'm bad at battling and less bad at art, I decided to make this art thread. I'd really appreciate constructive criticism, because I'm not going to get better until I know what I'm doing wrong.
Every Pokemon I've Drawn So Far:
Lunala
Ribombee
Leavanny
Mega Lopunny
Lazy Politoed
Latias
Surreal Gardevoirs v2
Gulpin and Kirby and Swalot v2
Politoed Closeup v2
Pörk (MAC)
Weird Delphox
Weird Mesprit
Pyroar
Pyroar (traditional)
Gardevoir
Easter Buneary and Bunnelby
Bisharp
300: Rise of a Quagsire
Cradily
Gastrodon
Abstract Volcarona
Kyurem Black and White Cutemons
Blue Frogs
Teddiursa
Amaura
Snorlax and Rotom-F Valentine
Poliwag Beating Excadrill (MAC)
Swimmer Floatzel
Registeel Fairy Retype
Servine
CAP 6 Pre-Evo Design
Aromatisse
Hawlucha
Phione
Absol
Cute Ursaring
Slurpuff
Koffing for Facebook Contest
Florges
Budew
Drifloon Kidnapping Kid
Greninja
Mega Gardevoir
In game Y team
Angry Stunfisk
Abstract Roselia
Abstract Giratina
Aurorus
Blissey
Suicune
Xerneas and Yveltal
Garbodor and Muk
Pumpkaboo
Timid Jynx
Heliolisk
Kyurem
Greninja
Baltoy Closeup
First Draft PS! Landscape
(Illegal) CAP6 Entry :(
Mega Politoed
Frogadier
Machamp lifting Beldums for Mienshao
Cute Whirlipede
Cute Magcargo
Cute Milotic
Seel
Zweilous eating Vanilluxe
Grumpig
Drifblim
Beautifly
Girafarig
Vibrava
Depressing Nuzleaf
Azelf
Shelgon
Whiscash
Xatu
Seismitoad
Relicanth
Killer Igglybuff
DUNCEsparce
Spheal and Shroomish
Ampharos
Raikou
Politoed w/ exaggerated proportions
Shuckle w/ exaggerated proportions
Elgyem Closeup
Virizion
Tropius
Swirlix
Yveltal Closeup
Vivillon
Malamar
Politoed Card
Unused+Unfinished Politoed Card
Chimecho
Preschooler with a Tyranitar
Shiny Politoed
Flabébé
Skrelp
Cubchoo Sneezing
Sigilyph
Wobbuffet
Slowking Closeup
Vaporeon
Porygon2 and Psyduck
Normal Hydreigon Retype
Flaaffy
Fire Pokes
Trackpad Drawing
Wally and Gardevoir
Weird Style Politoed
Chatot
Magic Guard Clefable
Scizor and Trapinch
Kyogre Water Spout
Cute Kyogre/Drizzle
Water's Edge
Jumpluff
Chinchou
Trapinch
Archen and Staryu Wedding
Mawile
Gastrodon and Rotom-W
Pichu and Cleffa
Garbodor
Lickitung Closeup
Cute Breloom
Energy Ball Jellicent
Random Skorupi
Super Zigzagoon
Charizard Closeup
Psychic/Rock Paras
Lapras Closeup
Surskit
Ninjask and Shedinja
Luxio Closeup
Dark/Fire Skarmory
Duosion Closeup
Jigglypuff and Kirby
Azurill Ocean
Surreal Gardevoirs
Hariyama drinking Shuckle
Gulpin and Kirby and Swalot
Tentacruel Closeup
Spiritomb Closeup
Accelgor Closeup
Altaria Closeup
Lotad in Swamp
Politoed Closeup
Shadow Tag (With Male Gothitelle!)
Water/Dragon Fakemon: "Hydragon"
Water/Ghost Fakemon: "Spectdro"

Site Art:

Smogon Flying Press:

The Smog:

Art for Articles:

Artwork for Tournaments:

CAP:

The Player:

Other Stuff:

Current Fakedex:

Non-Pokemon Stuff:

Finished Requests:
Secret Santa Mega Gardevoir and Mawile for Nerina
Ace Trainer Riding Swellow for PlatinumBlad3
RU Wars RMT (New) for DKFirelord
RU Wars RMT (Old) for DKFirelord
Midgets Market Quagsire for Midget Rotom
Rotom-W Pie Chart for Temporelucis
Primal Groudon for S0L1D G0LD
Oxymandias (RMT) for Smurf.
Ace of Diamonds (RMT) for Repeater1947
RU DxD (RMT) for DKFirelord
Shiny Weavile for Rhythms
Bagon, Shelgon, Salamence Trans Woman for Tortferngatr
Altitude (RMT) for DarkNostalgia
Secret Santa Jigglypuffs for Belrich
Aromatisse Plague Doctor for cooldude_dude
Avalugg for Hollymon
Larvesta for princessofmusic
Squirtle and Ducklett for Mizuhime
Clumsy Card House (RMT) for Hollywood
RMT Art for Psychological
Dancing in the Rain (RMT) for Mizuhime
Link Snivy and Great Deku Tree Trevenant for Klinks Awakening
Polar Vivilon With Snowflakes for paintseagull (Secret Santa)
Banned Yanma and Tangela for Kingler12345
LC Goodmons for Kingler12345
Linus ScarfTar for Deoxymoron
Mega Charizard X and Y for Kingler12345
YOLO Tournament Art for Governess
Mega Kanghaskan for scorpdestroyer
Aegislash for Kingler12345
Cute Xerneas for Kingler12345
Xerneas for Kingler12345
Natu and Milotic for ScreamingMilotic
Abstract Banette for Mack the Knife
Tyrantrum for Hollymon
Nobunaga and Zekrom for cofagragus
Lucario Closeup for ScreamingMilotic
Meloetta for Meloetta<3
Cofagrigus and Noivern for Rohail
Diggersby for Lasagne21
Avalugg for Kingler12345
Bunnelby for Treecko
Rampardos for Kingler12345
Dolphirbine (fakemon) for kirbyfanultrab
Gallantmon for Seed
Exploding Wailord for WaterBomb
Archeops for andrew3391
Politoed for topher4167
Heracross for spuds4ever
Lickitung and Vanillite for Dzi
Hitmonchan Punching Hitmonlee for Hitmonleet
Farfetch'd Using Aerial Ace for aerialace TM40
Lickitung Closeup for Compton kid
Lapras Closeup for Limer
Kyurem-W Closeup for Magistrum

Last edited:
Hello! Welcome to the studio!
I believe your frog studies are you best pieces of work, they all show smoothness and a delicate touch that all gives them this nice, soft look. I also enjoy the colors of many of them (for the hand picture, it shows motion and it's also dynamic). I think you should work on your digital art, I find many of your pieces to be unclean as the coloring passes through the lines. Speaking of lines, I find that many of your lines are really jagged and jittery so I suggest you should work on your lineart as well as keeping the coloring inside of them. And a minor suggestion (take it or leave it), I kind of view your Hydragon more as an Ice/Dragon over Water/Dragon so maybe you can some gills and fins to make it more like a Water type.
Hope I helped!

Blue Frog

It's lucidity. So clear!
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Thanks for your guys' feedback! I tried painting (because I'm bad at lineart anyway) in the same style as some of my frog drawings (but digitally) and got this:

Governess

A Beautiful Blossom Waiting to Bloom
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This artwork is very unique and creative. I love the mixture of the colors in the Lotad portrait; the way it blends together makes it look so elegant, yet mysterious.
The up close drawing of Politoed was splendid. I noticed your used some Abstract drawing techniques there; having the eyes look like a Pokeball xD
Overall, it was really good. Keep getting better. Luvdisc'd! =)

Blue Frog

It's lucidity. So clear!
is a Top Artist Alumnus
This artwork is very unique and creative. I love the mixture of the colors in the Lotad portrait; the way it blends together makes it look so elegant, yet mysterious.
The up close drawing of Politoed was splendid. I noticed your used some Abstract drawing techniques there; having the eyes look like a Pokeball xD
Overall, it was really good. Keep getting better. Luvdisc'd! =)
Wow, thank you so much! I'm really happy that you enjoy my art.

Another closeup, of Altaria:

I think I'm going to do more closeups of stuff.

Blue Frog

It's lucidity. So clear!
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Ok, I'm going to get my Fakedex going. In the last couple years, I've designed over 200 pokemon, but most of them suck.

I've spent the last couple hours digitalizing some of my stuff, and I did all of these at once, so I kind of burned out by the end. The quality of the drawings gets progressively worse, as a warning. I hope they're at least comprehensible.

Regardless of that, here are the first 9 Pokemon in my fakedex!
#1 Name: Calflora Type: Grass Base Stats (HP/Atk/Def/SpA/SpD/Spe): 40/50/45/10/20/81
#2 Name: Bloomutton Type: Grass Base Stats: 60/70/75/30/40/91
#3 Name: Panoroam Type: Grass/Rock Base Stats: 80/110/125/40/60/131
#4: Name: Fryno Type: Fire Base Stats: 80/66/40/10/40/10
Name: Ivorot Type: Fire Base Stats: 105/81/70/20/70/20
Name: Tuskorch Type:Fire Base Stats: 150/126/90/45/90/45
Name: Ophiorb Type: Water Base Stats: 40/10/20/134/30/12
Name: Serpentorb Type: Water Base Stats: 60/144/55/30/45/32
And if you've seen the top post, you know about Hydragon, but I redrew it so the evolutionary line could be more easily visualized:
Name: Hydragon Type: Water/Dragon Base Stats: 100/154/80/60/90/62

And a few notes about the designs:
-I hate Ivorot's design. Fryno was originally supposed to evolve directly into Tuskorch, but when I decided to make it a starter Pokemon (because it's cute), I just doodled Ivorot. It sucks. I hate Ivorot.
-The base stat totals of each final stage of the starters is 546, much higher than any other starter in the past gens (the highest is Swampert with 535). But I balanced it out by making the BSTs of the first stage pokemon really low, at 246, which is much lower than any other starter first stage, and the middle Pokemon is like that as well (366, much lower than 405 or 413 or 418, which are the BSTs of other middle starters.)
-I really like Panoroam's design; I think it's one of the best designs I've made. You may disagree, but whatever.
-The Calflora line is a goat, just in case my bad drawing skills made it seem otherwise.

I hope you've enjoyed this, and I'd appreciate feedback, of course. More fakemons to follow!

Last edited:

Blue Frog

It's lucidity. So clear!
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Two more Fakemons, the HM slaves of the group:

Name: Platypeek Type: Normal Base Stats: 65/40/40/15/50/40

Name: Platypike Type:Normal/Water Base Stats: 115/65/65/30/85/65
Abilities for both: Defiant/Huge Power/Klutz

Blue Frog

It's lucidity. So clear!
is a Top Artist Alumnus

Poor Gulpin.

Sorry for the late update. I guess the whole "drawing every other day" thing didn't work out, but I'll try to be more consistent in the future.

Hi! Great to see you pumping out this work to help you improve, practice makes perfect so keep at it. For the close-up paintings, what brush settings are you using (on what program), as your brush seems really spaced out, like lots of separate circles instead of a solid brush stroke. If this is intentional, then fine, but I think it could look better if you painted with a solid brush stroke.
Just a little suggestion, keep up the good work :)

Magistrum

DOITSU NO KAGAKU WA SEKAI ICHI
is a Top Artist Alumnus
For the close-up paintings, what brush settings are you using (on what program), as your brush seems really spaced out, like lots of separate circles instead of a solid brush stroke.
RitterCat, I think Blue Frog is using Dodge Tool/ Burn Tool with the default Circular Brush on Photoshop to achieve those separate circles. I've tried it when experimenting with various photoshop tools the first time. Also, I think that effect can also be achieved via mouse when you lower the opacity... not sure on this one though.(Unless Blue Frog corrects me, which will make me a total idiot XD)

Blue Frog, I agree with RitterCat on this one though; I believe your artworks will improve if the strokes are more fluid. I suggest tinkering with different brushes, especially with a feather effect brush when using Dodge/Burn Tools. They will make those separate circles into one fluid stroke. Also experiment with your layers and layering effects; they are Photoshop's greatest blessing. Keep it goin'! ;)

Blue Frog

It's lucidity. So clear!
is a Top Artist Alumnus
For the close-up paintings, what brush settings are you using (on what program), as your brush seems really spaced out, like lots of separate circles instead of a solid brush stroke. If this is intentional, then fine, but I think it could look better if you painted with a solid brush stroke.
Rittercat! You and Yilx and Bummer are my three favorite artists on smogon :)
Anyway, the weird circles on the closeups are not intentional; I had noticed them as well but had hoped no one would notice them...
I'm not sure what causes them to be like that, but I think it has something to do with the "pressure controls opacity" function on my version of Photoshop. I think it controls the opacity and the flow of the brushes. I think this version is an abridged version or something, because there's no pen tool or even a pencil tool.
RitterCat, I think Blue Frog is using Dodge Tool/ Burn Tool with the default Circular Brush on Photoshop to achieve those separate circles. I've tried it when experimenting with various photoshop tools the first time. Also, I think that effect can also be achieved via mouse when you lower the opacity... not sure on this one though.
Oh... well... as I mentioned before, they aren't intentional. I'm actually flattered that you think they were, because I'm definitely not smart enough to have done whatever you said just now. I don't even think my photoshop has a burn tool.

That being said, I do agree that my lines need to be smoother, so I drew this with the goal of smooth lines in mind:

Also, if anyone's interested, this is my submission to the MAC for the theme of surrealism:

As you can see there's still the weird circle shading in that one.

Blue Frog

It's lucidity. So clear!
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Alright, haven't done a closeup in a while, so here's a Loudred:

and heres a random drawing of Taylor Swift. the best drawing ive ever done

i don't know why im posting this

Blue Frog

It's lucidity. So clear!
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Three more fakemons:

Name: Beakie Type: Normal/Flying Base Stats: 40/50/30/30/30/60
Name: Velvetouc Type: Normal/Flying Base Stats: 60/70/40/50/40/75
Name: Beacan Type: Normal/Flying Base Stats: 100/40/128/120/65/27

Design Notes:
-As the evolution line progresses, the Pokemon's beaks get larger and larger, while the body stays more or less the same. Thus, when Velvetouc evolves into Beacan, the beak becomes too heavy for it to carry, which greatly lowers its attack and speed stats.
-Beacan learns several moves which are unusual for a flying type, such as Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, and Fire Blast, which comes from its gigantic, magical beak. Yes. It spits to attack.
-I didn't even realize how stupid it sounds until I wrote it. Oh well.

Hey! Cool concept for the fakemon, but it might make the designs a little more interesting if the body does change some features, so that they're not purely differentiated by beak size. Your lines are starting to have less of that circle issue as well, which is good! One thing I've noticed is that you can see distinct bands of seperate colour in some of your shading instead of a smooth transition of lighter and darker colours. For this, maybe just spending a bit more time on blending the colours together would help to get a smoother feel on the shading. Looking good Blue Frog, keep it up :)

Andrew

beep boop
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Hey, I like the close ups and the fakedex ideas. I also really like the style you used for the lotad painting, I'd like to see you do more like that; the colors are really cool. Other than that, I guess I'd just have to echo what Rittercat and Magistrum have already said about getting smooth lines and spending a bit more time on the blending to make things smoother. It takes patience but it's worth it. :) Also the gulpin/jigglypuff/swalot drawing is pretty cute <3

Blue Frog

It's lucidity. So clear!
is a Top Artist Alumnus
I suck at backgrounds.

I'm pretty sure that duplicating one layer and rotating it to make a reflection is cheating :/

Oh well.

To Andrew3391, the Gulpin is actually being eaten by a Kirby, not a Jigglypuff. I guess it just tells everyone about my art skills :)

Blue Frog

It's lucidity. So clear!
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Andrew3391's comment gave me my idea for this drawing. It's a bit big, hence the hide tag.....

People always confuse Jigglypuff and Kirby. A lot of people don't realize that Kirby came out before Pokemon (The first Kirby game, Kirby's Dreamland, came out in 1992, while Pokemon Red and Green came out in 1996), so Kirby was actually the original pink puffball. JIGGLYPUFF IS JUST A POSER.

About the drawing itself, I tried to make smoother lines and shading, but I don't think I did very well. The background is also quite simplistic, but it's not the main attraction of the piece, so it's ok.

Blue Frog

It's lucidity. So clear!
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Fakedex update! The whole "generic bug-type" thing has been done a million times before, but it works. I must keep with the tradition.

Name: Flarva Type: Fire/Bug Base Stats: 35/5/5/95/35/10
Name: Furnasalis Type: Fire/Bug Base Stats: 50/5/105/35/35/5
Name: Pyrofly Type: Fire/Bug Base Stats: 45/15/15/135/50/125

I don't know why I made their stats so overpowered. Same offensive stats as Darkrai by level 10? Yes please.

I wish I could've implemented more of you guys' shading tips, but I'm a bit lazy when it comes to these fakemons, since they aren't really pieces of art on their own. It's like my second grade teacher told me about handwriting: as long as it's comprehensible, it's ok.

But some people will get a kick out of this: I hid the lineart layer on Pyrofly just to see what it looked like, and I ended up with a really colorful version of Aurumoth:

Andrew

beep boop
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Lol cool sorry about the jigglypuff/Kirby mixup. Lines and all are looking a lot smoother in that painting :D has anyone ever told you you do nice shading? Cuz you do :3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)