Gen 3 Boah and CBlaziken

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Since I found some offensive shortcoming in my original Boah Team, I decided to make a separate one that will overcome the opponent's defense much quickly. I made at least two new teams before reaching this one. Boah v.4

(F) @ Leftovers ** Milagros
Trait: Marvel Scale
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 12 Spd / 12 SAtk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Hypnosis
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Surf

Best at countering DDmence imo with instant recovery. DDTars are scarier, and makes me wish I have Swampert over this, but losing water and ice resist, hypnosis, recover, as well as adding 4x grass weak, sucks. Plus, Hypnosis, despite its cruddy accuracy, always comes in handy.

(F) @ Choice Band ** Blaze
Trait: Blaze
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Focus Punch
- Overheat
- Rock Slide
- Sky Uppercut

A complementary offense to Boah's offense. Initially I had Houndoom for taking care of stuff that Boah can't, but it just gets walled too easily. Blaziken didn't have much action before either when I started it out as a Swords Dancer (was never able to set it up), but with CB it really opens hole to the opposing team's defense if I play my guesses right. 4x resist to Megahorn could be handy.

@ Leftovers ** Leilani
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 136 Spd / 48 SAtk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Baton Pass
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Recover

Primarily Zapdos counter, but it is also a great secondary Water (Milotic is a water resist), Fighting, and Ground resist. My original team had Celebi, but without CM, and it was just stalled by Rest Talking Zapdos (hence the BP CM Celebi) Since I don't have a solid defense for Heracross, I give it enough speed to outrun most Heracross.

@ Leftovers ** Margaux
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Atk / 40 Def / 8 Spd / 32 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Meteor Mash
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

RestTalker set I stole from the Meta analysis. My essential Rock / Normal / Flying / Psychic resist, the primary Ttar counter, and a great switch-in to Gengars. Also a reliable Pokemon to switch into an opposing Celebi, and with Celebi and Tyranitar should be able to stop most Psychics. I may want to make this thing more defensive.

(M) @ Leftovers ** Salvatore
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 88 HP / 20 Atk / 148 Spd / 252 SAtk
Mild Nature (+SAtk, -Def)
- Brick Break
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Blast
- Rock Slide

Mixmence with Rock Slide. Extra Salamence, Flygon, Heracross, Gyarados, and Skarmory counter, which is why I have Dragon Claw, Fire Blast, and Rock Slide (although Fire Blast doesn't quite kill Hera sometimes =/). Formally, had Hydro Pump over Brick Break for hitting Ttars while being able to hit other random Grounds and Rocks, too (like Marowak). However, BBreak provides an additional offense against Curselax that I really don't have a solid counter for. Since I find RestTalking Zapdos as one of the major weakness to Boah Teams, I like to put Rock Slides wherever I could (like on Salamence and Blaziken).

BOAH

I have to say, Boah is probably the easiest to set up, but the least threatening out of all other Ttars. It still serves as a mixed sweeper that breaks conventional walls very efficiently.

--------------------------------

I find DDers most threatening, especially DDTars, since it is pretty easy for it to outrun my team and 1-2hko all of them. My strategy: take advantage of Salamence's Intimidate and Metagross' Rock Resist to neutralize its DD, allow Meta to survive an EQ, and knock out TTar with MMash. If that doesn't work, it's Milotic's turn, and hopefully Milo doesn't flinch to 2hko it. Aside from Celebi and Blaziken being trapped to Overheat or Rock Slide, Ttar should be hard pressed to show its face; only one opening is enough for it to cause major havoc, though. I may want to modify Meta's spread, either more offensive or defensive, to increase its chance at taking down TTar. I need help here the most..

Celebi being my only reliable Electric counter is kind of scary at times, too. Zapdos may be able to be dealt with Blaziken and Salamence's Rock Slides, but CM HP Ice Raikou, despite the sandstorm and the rarity of HP Ice Raikou, still poses a real threat (or even a HP Grass Raikou combined with Dugtrio). All-out attacking Starmie gives me a run for my money. Again, changing my Metagross' EV spread may be the only change I need to alleviate most of these problems.

CM Suicune is also a bitch to take down without an Electric Pokemon, too. Usually I just hit and run and try to get Blaziken or Salamence in for a 2hko. CMPassing makes this easier as Salamence breaks stuff with CM boosts.

I've been doing well with this team on netbattle: 82 wins - 14 losses, but the problems I mentioned are serious. Any help is appreciated. I don't mind any major reconstruction of this team, as long as it deals with the aforementioned vulnerabilities without adding many new ones.

I've tried adding Swampert and Zapdos > Milotic and Metagross, Swampert for Resttalking, HP Ice Electrics, Starmie, and Ttar counter; and Zapdos for Phazing and Special Defense, but Zapdos (Tbolt, HP, Light Screen, Roar), wears down easily and Swampert isn't the best pokemon to take the sleep..

You have no reliable physical wall. Maybe CalmCune instead of Milotic? Also, 5/6 of your team is hit by Spikes, but I don't know where to fit in a Rapid Spinner.

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This is a great team.

Milotic, despite being a great Dragon Dance Salamence counter, isn't going to clear Rapid Spin for you. I don't always recommend a "Rapid Spinner", but considering the majority of your Pokemon are weak to Spikes, it only seems fitting to bring Starmie over Milotic. A defensive Starmie is a fantastic "DDMence" counter, it can Recover just like Milotic, it may not have Hypnosis but it certainly has Rapid Spin. Plus, Celebi can pass Calm Mind to Starmie; who can potentialy sweep with a few under its belt.

Salamence with Wish is always an idea. Tyranitar and Blaziken will be more than happy to recieve some HP, because Tyranitar will be using Substitute while Blaziken will take some damage from Sand Stream, along with other unexpected hits. Imagine Wish, Protect, Flamethrower and Dragon Claw with one or two Calm Minds giving it that extra boost.

Finally, I absolutely love Sleep Talk Metagross. But I reckon that those EVs could be replaced with some far more defensive to help strenghen the overall defense in the team. And as you have said, paired with Salamence it can take down Dragon Dance Tyranitar effectively.

Here are the 3 Pokemon I've recommended changes to:

Salamence (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 148 HP / 176 Def / 136 Spd / 48 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Flamethrower
- Protect
- Toxic
- Wish

Metagross @ Leftovers
EVs: 204 HP / 56 Atk / 136 Def / 112 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Meteor Mash
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Starmie @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 28 Spd / 96 SAtk
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Surf

I strongly advise that you replace Milotic with Starmie. But that "WishMence" is just a guide (although you're as equally experienced and are more than capable of creating your own "WishMence") and isn't as important as the Starmie>Milotic criteria. Last but not least, I personally prefer my own "TurtleGross" EVs to the standard as I like the defense. The HP hits 352 for Leftovers, and it has the "magical number" for its Defense stat, while recieving some Attack and Special Defense EVs to boot.

But yeah, very nice team.

ew, I'm glad not too people run an all-out attack Starmie.

All I can think of to remedy this is replace someone like BOAH, who this team is built around and obviously shouldn't be replaced, with some sort of cool curse/fb lax. Lax loves the CM's just as much as the next guy.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I just got to say thanks to Taylor for the right-in-the-money post. Thanks for the constructive criticisms and awesome solutions; it was exactly what I was expecting from a rmt thread.

When I was making this team, I was consciously refraining myself from restricting my team to a 5 monster + 1 rapid spinner line up. However, Celebi and MEtagross is too much of a good opening for Spikers, and as you’ve mentioned, majority of the team is grounded. I have never dared to utilize a Starmie THIS defensive, because I usually viewed outrunning Gengars with 352 or plus speed as a necessity for a Rapid Spinning Starmie.

I remembered you posting two posts that contained your TurtleGross. When I first saw this, I was skeptical of its performance, because it reminded me of a few other monsters that could easily absorb hits but dish nothing back in return. However, in my team with lacking defense, I have been very certain that your spread would be a perfect for it. Thank you for sharing the love man.

I also like how you didn’t end here, but attempted to adjust the team to the changes by switching my Mixmence into a Wishmence. Although, the defensive Starmie and Metagross has proved surprisingly much more useful than the more offensive counterparts, I don’t know if I really want to lose the offense provided by MixMence. I’m guessing that you assume that a CBKen, Boah, and the extra special boost from CMPass Celebi is all the offense that I need? I mean, going for a more defensive approach with Starmie and Metagross seems to be working very well in the few battles I’ve played so far (TurtleGross was a very great improvement, thanks again). However, Salamence is vital for taking down Gyarados and Zapdos, and I don’t see how it could do that without Rock Slide. Btw, I switched its nature to Rash (-SDef) because Gyarados still 2hkos Salamence =[ (Salamence now gets 2hkoed by Zapdos but it's a sacrifice I must take).

Thanks for the posts, guys, and I’ll be looking forward for more replies.

Morningstorm: yea, CBKen fits well with this team. I haven’t totally mastered its abilities. It’s great during late-game sweeps when some of the opposing fighting resists have been dispatched.

Falkner12: I actually tried Snorlax over Milotic. Losing Milotic was a stupid decision on my part, because I just lost my TTar / Meta counter and added TTar / Meta weakness (although my Ttar had Curse and Counter). It was also another thing that lures Skarmory and Spikes (I thought Curse + Focus Punch + Counter would beat it, but bleeh). Extra Sp Def would really be a welcome to this team, however, so your suggestion for a Snorlax is not impertinent.. I’ll consider it, if I am presented with Special Defense problems.

Minwu: I don’t like CroCune because of the lack of Ice Beam, which means it won’t efficiently counter Salamence, and even worse, it’s an easy switch-in for Gyarados and set-up Celebi. And it’s just another Bulky Water with similar roles and shortcomings, although being able to CMSweep and being faster than CBTar is a plus.

I tried the team a couple of times, and the biggest threat I encountered so far is Curselax, as you said yourself, either with Shadow Ball or Earthquake.
What's your standard strategy against it?

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Salamence (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 148 HP / 176 Def / 136 Spd / 48 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Flamethrower
- Protect
- Toxic
- Wish

EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)

This gives the same Speed, but slightly higher defensiveness in both stats.

Metagross @ Leftovers
EVs: 204 HP / 56 Atk / 136 Def / 112 SDef
- Earthquake
- Meteor Mash
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

EVs: 252 HP / 56 Atk / 96 Def / 80 SDef

Slightly more defensive with 24 EVs leftover.

Umby

I'm gonna bury you in the ground~
is a Contributor Alumnus
Well shit, I don't even have to read the tl;dr post to think this is sexy.The only thing I have an issue is, your options vs a switched in curselax are kind of limited, your Blaziken, obviously, risks losing over half its health and Metagross can't stop the Curses unless it gets going with some Atk +1s. Have you considered passing SDs instead?

Almost makes me want to start building teams again.

Almost.

I guess Curselax has to be weakened enough by the whole team, and when it uses Rest, Blaziken is switched in to give it a punch.

As Umby says, it's very hard to switch something in...

The CM, SD, BP, Recover Celebi makes the team very vulnerable against things like Raikou.

100% off topic but that Blaziken picture is huge, and not only that but it makes it look like a guy wearing tight pants.

You have no reliable physical wall. Maybe CalmCune instead of Milotic? Also, 5/6 of your team is hit by Spikes, but I don't know where to fit in a Rapid Spinner.
No one barely uses Spikes in R/S/E.....

Only Forre and Skarm which will barely come out...

Umby

I'm gonna bury you in the ground~
is a Contributor Alumnus
No one barely uses Spikes in R/S/E.....

Only Forre and Skarm which will barely come out...
What game have you been playing? Spikes is pretty common, therefore making Skarmory and Forretress common choices for teams themselves. That also adds Cloyster into the mix.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)