ORAS UU Bonfire

Introduction
Hello, and welcome to my 400 post RMT. This is a cool team that I built around Moltres for UUPL. This team is actually an editted version of an old XY team that I had to better fit the new ORAS meta. I went with Moltres because of how powerful Flying-types are right now, with most teams Flying resist consisting of either Mega Aero, which does not enjoy taking a hit or burn, or Empoleon which gets worn down easily especially if it is a Shuca variant. With Sylveon, Celebi, and Conk dropping as well, Moltres just looked even more appealing to use, matching up well against all of them. Without further ado here is the team.

Like I said in the intro, I built this team around Moltres

The very first thing I wanted on the team was a good way of getting rid of hazards so Tentacruel was added to do that as well as acting as a Pseudo water check

Looking at the team, it looked extremely weak to Snorlax and Psychic types so I decided to go with Doublade which is a personal favorite of mine, being able to act as a win condition and a better way to check Cobalion.

At this point, Dragons and most fighting types not named Cobalion looked quite annoying to the team. Defensive Sylveon fit here perfectly, doing all of that and providing Wish support to the rest of the team.

The team lacked Stealth Rock and a different way to deter Rocks on my side of the field other than Tenta, so Taunt Krook looked like a nice fit.

Lastly, the team lacked speed and a way to beat waters. Mega Sceptile was the obvious choice.

A Closer Look

Moltres @

Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hurricane

- Flamethrower

- Will-O-Wisp

- Roost

The star of the team. Moltres is an incredible wallbreaker in the tier with its incredibly dangerous dual stab, nuking almost everything in the tier bar dedicated special walls and Rock types. Its typing is also great seeing as how popular fairies are right now, its able to switch in to most fairies and start throwing out powerful attacks. Hurricane is just a stupid strong move that blows back everything while Flamethrower is there for more consistent damage and for when you don’t want to risk a miss. Willo is great for crippling slower physical attackers and rock types that switch in such as Mega Aero. Roost provides longevity and helps with Pressure stalling if need be.

Tentacruel @

Ability: Clear Body
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump

- Sludge Bomb/Acid Spray

- Rapid Spin

- Ice Beam

Cores? Gone. Offensive Tenta is a great partner for Moltres providing hazard removal as well as outspeeding and removing things that would otherwise threaten Moltres such as Krook and Rotom-Heat. Hydro Pump is a strong STAB move that helps Tenta not hit like a wet noodle. Sludge Bomb is used for a strong immediate answer to fairy types while Acid Spray can also be used to better break down cores. Spin because why else would you use this thing and Ice Beam helps with the omnipresent dragon and grass types.

Doublade @

Ability: No Guard
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance

- Iron Head

- Shadow Claw

- Shadow Sneak

Probably one of my favorite Mons in the tier. Doublade was added as a second Coballion check since SE coba pretty much stomped the first two mons after some prior damage to Tenta. Doub also acts as a Flying resist and a check to bulky Psychic types like Cress and Celebi which have gained a lot of popularity recently. It's also great for cleaning up late game and checking Snorlax. The set is just the standard SD variant with Shadow Claw > Sacred Sword for more consistent damage on waters.

Sylveon @

Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 248 HP / 248 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Wish

- Protect

- Hyper Voice

- Heal Bell

Mandatory Fairy. Superior Florges here for a reliable Wish passer and Cleric support. Not really much to say about it that people don’t already know, one of the best Hydreigon counters in the game, able to tank even LO Flash Canons and wish it all off. Not only Hydreigon, but Sylveon helps the team with Dragons in general as well as Fighting types. Even uninvested, pixilate Hyper Voice allows Sylveon to not be a sitting duck and actually deal out respectable damage. Wish Tect Bell to complete the set for healing itself and its teammates as well as alleviating status.

Krookodile @
/

Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock

- Knock Off

- Earthquake

- Taunt/Pursuit

Next I realized that I did not have any form of hazard setter on the team. There were a few things that I considered for this position but ultimately settled for Taunt Krook to better stop hazards from being set up against me and to better pressure opponents physically. Rocky Helmet in conjunction with Taunt helps break down fatter mons such as Snorlax while Pursuit can be used to trap Psychics/Ghosts or to get some chip damage off for other members to clean up later.

Sceptile-Mega @

Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain

- Leaf Storm

- Dragon Pulse

- Focus Blast

Finally I needed some speed control as well as a water switch in. Mega Scept fit the bill perfectly here for all of that with its 145 base Speed stat and quad resisting water it could outspeed a majority of the meta and threaten waters. Some people opt for Modest on Sceptile for some added power, but for this team I used Timid just because of how slow the rest of my team is. Nothing much to say about the moves, standard four attacks.

Threat List
Entei is extremeley annoying for this team, since there is no real switch in. Wearing it down with rocks and scouting for what move it goes for is honestly the best way to play around it. If it goes for a fire move and rocks are not up then Moltres can PP stall it pretty well.
Life Orb Iron Tail Hydreigon is a big threat so keep Sylveon healthy enough to eat an Iron Tail. Other variants of Hydreigon arent as threatening since Sylve walls them to hell and back.
CM Slowking is a huge threat since it can actually 1v1 Mega Sceptile if it CMs on the switch. It can be revenged pretty easily by either Krook or Doub, but switching in is a pain.
Offensive physical set up water types are extremely threatening. For gatr usually I'll have to sack something and then revenge with Scept, or if it's in on Molt I willo it on the DD and then go to Sylv to stall it out. Gyara more or less beaten by Doublade unless it Intimidates it or is an EQ variant, but doublade gets worn down really easily so watch out.

Conclusion

Thanks for reading. This is definitely not the best team I've ever made, but I thought it was something fun to post and a nice way to cap off UUPL and transition into UU open.

Replays

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-uu-163516 uupl vs kiyo
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-387880878 gave it to pak for blt

Moltres @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Flamethrower
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Clear Body
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Sludge Bomb
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 16 SpD / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Hyper Voice
- Heal Bell

Krookodile @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Taunt

Sceptile-Mega @ Sceptilite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast

Last edited:
Hi, awesome team and grats on the uupl record. This rmt caught my interest because I actually built a very similar team for a friend a couple months ago with coba>doublade and some different sets. Here is the paste: http://pastebin.com/BSf5kuYq

I ultimately scrapped the team because it loses too easily to offensive mega pert which I think should get a specific mention in the threatlist. Here are some calcs:

Pert vs Sylveon
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Waterfall vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Sylveon in Rain: 226-267 (57.5 - 67.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Pert vs Doublade
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Earthquake vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Doublade: 188-224 (58.9 - 70.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Of course Pert ohkos the rest of the mons while doublade only does about 30% with shadow claw and sylveon fails to 2hko with hyper voice (maxing out at about 46%) and sets up rain dance on krookodile and doublade fairly easily (assuming the opponent needs krook and wont risk it to taunt). I don't really see any form of counterplay unlike the other offensive waters besides sacking something and stalling out rain turns with sylv but even that is shaky at best since EQ is a roll to 2hko.

Sorry that this isn't totally a rate since I can't think of any changes that would give this team some counterplay to offensive pert without becoming weak to something else. I guess my question is this: are you okay with not having solid counterplay vs this 1 mon? I'm not sure how common pert is atm since I haven't played uu in some time.

Edit: I second the post below me. Tspikes will put offensive waters besides gyara on a timer and help immensely

Last edited:

Century Express

melodies of life
is a Tutoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
Against Bulky-waters the closest thing that i would change is Toxic Spikes > Ice Beam, although both moves sounds fine. Unfortunately it increases the team's weakness vs LO Hyd, but the majority of Ice Beam targets like Mence, Crobat and Toxicroak are already covered by Sylveon | Doublade | Krook. Also, the residual Poison damage is pretty useful because it capitalizes on a good amount of targets (Florges, Whimsicott for Mega Sceptile; Slowking and Porygon2 for Moltres while Doublade provides a situational spinblock support), and offensively it reduces the amount of opportunities to Offensive Water-types and Entei to set-up on your team.

Sick squad, thanks for sharing it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)