1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Borderline Metagame

Discussion in 'Other Metagames' started by Oiawesome, Nov 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oiawesome

Oiawesome

This tier has been closed down Because it was very stupid as said by many people and now me(I am not mad or anything I have just relized how stupid I was) and lacked support and was originaly closed down by Birkaland shouldent have been created in the first place sorry if you wasted your time on this -Oiawesome
  2. iiZqHD

iiZqHD

So are the pokemon listed above the only ones available in the meta?
  3. Kenny

Kenny don't expect me

so we can use uu pokemon too??
  4. Arizona

Arizona

Excellent concept Oi. Things like Kyurem in BL and Cresselia when it was in BL2 have made me sad, because the tier system exists to give every pokemon a chance to be worthy. Well when your usage is 4% the tier system has failed you, but luckily inbetween tiers can save you. Everyone that wanted X to fall to UU, Metagross for example, will have the next best thing here. I think Sand teams should be alright since they were too good for UU, and Hail might do better if it can use Abomasnow instead of its prevo.
  5. superbadd

superbadd

Fyi celebi was in uu and not broken. Metagross is uu on po and isn't broken either. Gastrodon and dugtrio were nu. I really don't get this concept. All of these pokemon would either fit into uu just fine or are already good in ou. Being ou is about usage not power level. This seems like a really pointless, and bland metagame considering only 15 something pokemon are allowed. Just because something is BL doesn't mean it isn't good in ou. Kyurem is pretty good, just not used enough.
  6. cim

cim happiness is such hard work
    is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

You aren't actually using the BL list for this metagame - you just picked a bunch of Pokemon from OU that aren't that popular and decided to include them? What determines what's in your metagame and what isn't?
  7. superbadd

superbadd

That tier is idiotic. Your rules serve no purpose and quite frankly, make an undesirable metagame. And since usage fluctuates, what's below "haxorous usage" will change as well meaning that list is subjective. What happens if haxorous drops to uu? Your whole tier list changes. If you're gonna create a metagame try not to make it so constricting, and try to put logic in your reasoning. Your OP is an example of a "dumb post". I'm not tier bashing. I'm giving you criticism. You don't have any logic at all, and it looks like you don't know what you're doing. There's nothing wrong with telling you something off about your "tier". These pokemon are all fine, given the right conditions. It's no different than anything else. Seriously though, who's going to play a metagame with only 20 pokemon? People could just play rby ou if they wanted. These strange rules might work well for a tournament, but it's not worth a tier.
  8. citro

citro

Hi, I have a problem. I tried to join #Gen5BL to get some advice about the tier, but unfortunately I found it empty. When will the IRC channel be set up?
  9. superbadd

superbadd

It's called criticism. Grown ups know how to deal with it instead of whining about "tier bashing". With things like latias and hydreigon in the tier, there will only be around 20 viable pokemon. If you don't like ou just play regular uu. Unless you're willing to modify, it's not going to work. Even if that's the case it's barely any different enough to justify being a tier. After all the bans that take place, it's just another uu, so what's the point? There is no logic in that cutoff. You just picked a random number and went with it. What defines the "perfect line" anyway?
  10. Arizona

Arizona

That's pretty bold, to assume only twenty pokemon would be viable. How did you come to that conclusion? Actually it looks like you didn't get that the listed pokemon weren't the only usable ones at first and now you're just inventing a flimsy reason why there would still be only 20 mons with no real evidence. Sure, Latias might centralize UU, but this isn't UU. There isn't the kind of experience with this tier say that.

Honestly, you are just leveling a bunch of theorymon here. Until the game is played, the conclusions you've reached are impossible to make. Saying it's barely different is ridiculous: it's very different from OU with so many pokemon missing. You see Politoed on that list? Ninetales? And it's equally different from UU. You really think UU would be "barely different" with such an influx of pokemon?

A metagame based around a 5.5% cutoff is no worse or more arbitrary than 3.4% cutoff. It's not another UU though, Oi specifically stated at the beginning of the OP that the reason for its existence was for the sake of pokemon at the bottom of OU and in BL, which UU naturally does not include.
  11. DTC

DTC ˢᵉʳᶦᵒᵘˢ
    is a Smogon IRC SOPis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
    Mentor

Play nice, guys. Stop bickering back and forth. If you are unsure about this metagame, I recommend playing it. I myself have not played it, but it is stupid to say a metagame is stupid when you have not played it yet.

Also, Oiawesome, can you please format your posts better? I find it hard to read a lot of them.
  12. TheMantyke

TheMantyke slow
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Team Rater Alumnus
    VGC Leader

Personal stabs against you aside, I think that superbadd has a valid point. If you're going to make a tier with some of the lesser seen OU Pokemon and subject them to suspect testing, you're eventually going to end up with a slightly different version of UU.

If I were you, I would treat a Borderline tier like an Ubers version of UU where all the BL Pokemon that broke the tier are allowed to wreck havok and provide a centralized, exciting, and hard hitting rule set ala ubers. Drop attempts to balance the tier and just play with awesomely powerful stuff. Introducing low usage OU Pokemon like you've already done makes it even more interesting, but I would recommend you drop the quickbans against Landorus-T and Deoxys-D since it seems silly to not allow these specific Pokemon in when huge monsters are also taking the field.
  13. Oiawesome

Oiawesome

Sorry for making such a dumb and unsupported metagame my appologies to superbadd.
  14. Arizona

Arizona

That's too bad, the idea was sound but it's hard to get a player base to support a new meta. Still, it's something to keep in the back of your mind if you want to make a custom battle with someone.

I do find it interesting on the theoretical side that people seem to consider it inevitable that so many pokemon would be banned that it would become UU. Would this happen with a 6% cut-off? 7%? 15%? Obviously there is a number X where it wouldn't become UU. Why are we so sure 5.5% is not greater than X? I'm convinced it would be very different:

IIRC there were 15 pokemon from OU and 4 BLs added for a total of 19. I have never heard of a banlist for a tier being that large or even double digits, unless you are counting Ubers. There are 4 BLs and atm only 1 BL2 and 0 BL3s, and they have been hovering near those numbers for some time. The only conclusion based on historical precedent is a meta defined by a usage line of another meta would need 0-5 bans. In the end, there would have been anywhere from 14 to 19 non UU pokemon.
  15. Oiawesome

Oiawesome

I may bring this back but I just know the same thing is going to happen agian,Ari. Its not really worth arguing as We are the only ones who like this meta and evreything has been deleted.Let's face it the majority of people who read this hated it,And nobody would have suported me I may bring this back if I get enough VMs or whatever to do so but I doubt that.And considering me and BIKEL a guy who quitted pokemon after were the only ones who actualy played it I even had a message saying "Try before you Insult" in the OP.
  16. Arizona

Arizona

If and when you do return to this project, I would suggest increasing the cut-off somewhat to more neatly bisect OU and nip disputes over being a UU clone in the bud. A nice round 7% excludes the top 30 OUs and adds 29 non-UUs to be as "between tiers" as possible.
  17. Oiawesome

Oiawesome

I will probaly try to return to this in less than one week since if you saw my sig. Yeah.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)