Boss Battles: Which is your favorite of all time?

Personally, I'd have to go with the fight with Bowser in Luigi's Mansion. It was a huge surprise, and a fight with a non-Mario plumber vs. Bowser is just too cool not to mention.

Boss fights on Counter-Strike are awesome, although on large maps it's often impossible for the boss to win. cs_ maps are usually best.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I just finished FF12 yesterday, and I was very pleased with the final three battles against Vayne. They were challenging, yet not enough to make me pull my hair out.

Final fight against Ganondorf in Wind Waker. No, it was not hard at all, but its so awesome I don't really care. With the water crashing down all around, first time I was playing it I was just like "OOOOH MY GOD YEESSSSSS".

Also, the final fight against Majora's Mask. That thing is HARD if you don't use the Fierce Deity Mask.

StrangerDanger

RETURN TO COMPETITIVE POKEMON ISLAND
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
King-motherfucking-K. Rool, DK64. This was the most innovative boss fight i'd ever had, while still being at a moderate difficulty. I wasn't sure the game was real, after shrinking into K. Rool's shoes, and then sniping his feet.

As a matter of fact, Donkey Kong 64 had the best bosses around, aside from that damn pufferfish.

*SPOILERS*

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption's fight with Meta Ridley was unexpected and amazing at the same time. Falling down the shaft while shooting Charge Shots and Missiles AND avoiding his attacks make up for 1 of the best fights ever

Definitely pick it up if you havent already, especially if you have a Wii already

Jackal

I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Most epic is easily ANDROSS in starfox 64.

YOU'LL NEVER DEFEAT ANDROSSSSSSSSSSSs

Most epic is easily ANDROSS in starfox 64.

YOU'LL NEVER DEFEAT ANDROSSSSSSSSSSSs
"Only I have the brains to rule Lylat!"

"...If I go down I'm TAKING YOU WITH ME!"

It's really hard to choose just one boss for me, having played so many games. Of course RPGs/Zelda games tend to be the most epic, so I'd have to give a hats-off to those.

I can't narrow it down to a single one SO here are the most memorable boss fights for me, for the most part I like all of them for different reasons:

I've mentioned it briefly in other threads but the best boss encounter I've done in any game is definitely The Four Horseman in World of Warcraft. I don't think anyone other than LordS(including the other WoW players!) has done this fight to relate to me here but it requires 40 people playing pretty much perfectly for a rather long time and is just technically perfect(except for the whole invisible void zone thing) and the enemies are cool. It showed the strength of the genre in a way most other things don't.

As far as offline RPGs I'd say K. Rool is definitely up there for me, it wasn't really difficult in any way but it was a really cool fight and I really liked how you got to showcase all five of the playable characters' abilities in the fight. DK64 was really innovative and generally fun to play and it had a very appropriate final boss fight, thinking back on it I am surprised it didn't end up being more popular than it was.

Another one I really liked was Lavos in Chrono Trigger, it wasn't particularly difficult but the concept of the background switching to the different eras the game takes place in and Lavos's abilities changing appropriately was really neat although I wish they'd have had a larger effect on the fight. Especially if you choose to smack him with the Epoch the dialogue leading up to the encounter added a lot to it too, tension was definitely built well.

Staying in the Chrono series as far as plot goes I think Miguel in Chrono Crossis my #1 favorite boss fight... it makes me sadface to think about it but the plot right before him leading into a battle that neither side really wanted to be in was really good, the music made it better and the fact Miguel had some cool attacks like HolyDrgSwd or however it was abbreviated made it a really great boss fight.

I definitely need to mention Psycho Mantis in Metal Gear Solid too, I think as a series MGS is stronger than any other franchise I can think of as far as boss battles go and nearly every one is well done and memorable but Psycho Mantis was kind of a step up because while the fight itself was creative and fun the ridiculous amount of gimmicks relating to the fight(him reading your mind/memory card, Hideo/Video thing, shaking your controller with his psychic power/vibration, having to switch controller ports) made it really fun to play. The fourth wall is broken about a thousand times before during and after that encounter but it still manages to be pretty awesome.

And to finish up by going back to WoW, I always really enjoyed Vaelastrasz, Kel'Thuzad, Ouro, and Gothik a lot too although outside of Vael they fall under the 'I don't think anyone else was good enough to fight them' category unfortunately, they were all very fun though :(

Staying in the Chrono series as far as plot goes I think Miguel in Chrono Crossis my #1 favorite boss fight... it makes me sadface to think about it but the plot right before him leading into a battle that neither side really wanted to be in was really good, the music made it better and the fact Miguel had some cool attacks like HolyDrgSwd or however it was abbreviated made it a really great boss fight.
oh man, awesome, awesome choice. miguel is definitely my favourite boss. it was so emotional, and the battle itself was so... forced, but so necessary. and he was also hard as shit! weakmindedminded > turn black > holydrgswd in a single turn will kill you, without question. a blade of energy emanating from an old man's hand? damn right he's awesome.

i remember for awhile i hated him cause the scene leading up to him took FOREVER and at that point i was terrible at the game. it took me five tries, which amounted to hours and hours of gameplay, most of which was just mashing the x button through his scene, hahaha.

Shadow of the Colossus(ps2) - the whole game was a bunch of boss battles, and I enjoyed all of them. Epic game to say the least.

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Mike Tyson from Punch Out! back in the day this was an awesome fight, not as exciting now, but when I was 5 trying to beat this was an amazing and frustrating fight.

Psycho Mantis form Metal Gear Solid. Cmon, this was also insane at the time, reading your mind, moving your controller, playing with your tv. It was just awesome.

The End from Metal Gear Solid 3, totally unique and I love the MGS franchise because of the strange and awesome boss battles that occur, this is one of the best. Its not a normal fight, it can take hours even days to beat him, the unique nature of it makes it an awesome fight, if you haven't played MGS3, go do it.

Bowser from Mario 64, "So long King Bowser" is one of the best lines in all of video games, the battles weren't exactly tough, but they were very memorable.

Bowser form Super Mario World, the last battle of my favorite game of all time. I love everything about this, the music, the different methods Bowser uses to attack, everything, I love it.

Tyrant from Resident Evil, truly scary, the object is to survive but Tyrant was a scary mofo. The whole game made me crap my pants, but this battle took the cake because of me pausing the game every 5 seconds to collect myself.

Stallord and Agorok form Zelda: Twilight Princess, both were very memorable and I enjoyed them very much, both had multiple parts to the battles and all the parts were fast paced and exciting, I loved them.

Colossi from Shadow of the Colossus, they were the game, and they made it an awesome game. Each colossus was a puzzle, trying to get to the weak point and damage it enough before it knocked you away, this really was an epic game and I loved it.

I can never pick one =/

Chill Murray

get well soon jacoby..
The battle against Kurt Zisa (or whatever his name was) in Kingdom Hearts was a lot of fun, as well as that game's fight with Sephiroth. I tried fighting Sephiroth in the second one, too, but couldn't beat it.

Resident Evil 4 had some of the best boss fights IMO. Fucking It boss fight scared the shit out of me, especially with the total lack of space and seeing it crawling above you.

The fight with Ganondorf in Wind Waker was pretty epic, that ending made it all worthwhile.

Another favorite was the last boss of PSO Episode 1, since it meant I finally finished with the long ass final dungeon.

like synre, i can't just narrow it down to one.

fight with ganon at the end of oot had some really cool music making it seem all the more enjoyable. most zelda bosses are pretty fun, in fact; stallord was awesome in tp, and the helmasaur king from alttp ruled. resident evil 4 has a ton of boss fights and all of them were great, but i especially like the los gigantes fight. took me a while to realize you could drop one in the lava!

but as far as favorite boss fights ever, its a tie between the metroid games. all of their bosses are some fucked up creature or just an overall amazing looking monstrosity, in both the 2d and 3d games. draygon from super metroid was great because of how difficult he was, but there was also a genius move you could pull that made him extremely easy. metroid prime had a lot of good boss fights, like meta ridley and omega pirate which were both incredible. metroid prime 2 was less original on the boss fights, with most of them being ing, but the ones that weren't - quadraxis and chykka, mostly - were my faves. and finally, metroid prime 3. in my opinion, this one has the best bosses yet. berserker lord, meta ridley, mogenar, helios, some robot thing that was pretty cool as well, omega ridley, and a whole lot more.

i'll just go ahead and say the metroid boss battles are my favorite. i can't choose one.

One of my favorite boss battles ever is the final battle of Megaman Zero 3. I started the Zero series with this game and it was this battle that made me want to get the previous (and later following) games to the franchise.
The final boss battle was a huge surprise for longtime and recent fans alike: Omega, the main antagonist (yes I know Weil was controlling everything from a distance but since you only really fight him on 4...), was defeated in the 'jesus-christ-im-a-huge-robot' form and everybody was expecting the game to end now, since the Megaman series have the habit of ending the game with a boss battle with a boss that occupies half of the screen. To everybody's surprise, Omega was back, and he looked just like the hero, Zero. Apparently the Zero we control in all the game is merely a copy, and Omega had found his real body and ...possessed it or something, I dunno. Anyway, the point is that you were fighting yourself, only stronger, quicker and sturdier. This boss battle brought nostalgia to longtime fans since Omega could use Zero's old moves from the previous Megaman X games. It is a pretty challenging and fun battle.

Other memorable boss battles include Tiny the Tiger and N. Trophy from Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped.

Death Phenomeno

I'm polite so just for clarity, when I'm cross I
is a Contributor Alumnus
Boost Guardian on Metroid Prime 2.

Depending on how you take it on, it's either extremely hard or somewhat easy ( on hard mode, that is ).

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
not sure what is my favorite

but those that come to mind quickly are the final boss battles of every donkey kong country and 64 games.

King K Rool is a fantasticly fun boss to face.

Like I said in some other thread, my battle against Ozma. Wether you win or not is solely based on how much she spams Curse.

World of Warcraft, the Twin Emperor's because it's fun.

Hardest obviously Vs. My dad (the boss) after my brother pretends to cry just so he can see me in trouble. I can tell he's pretending because he stops crying as soon as he get's some attention.

Realistically though, probably Gorea at the end of Metroid Prime hunters DS when you've lost your stylus :p---- That was intended to be hardest, by no means fun :P

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
I have 2 actually.

My first one, I have to agree with Synre and say the final fight with Lavos in Chrono Trigger. All the lead up to that fight is awesome, and doing it on a low-level challenge, like I did a little while ago is insanely hard and the 2nd form is just an ass. The ending is an awesome reward for an awesome fight.

My 2nd one is the final fight in Final Fantasy 6/3. Having to go up the whole tower is pretty hard at some times, and the whole fight isn't necessarily hard, but it's really awesome to kick Kefka's sorry ass.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)