Bouffalant (GP 2/2)

[pimg]656[/pimg]

Current Analysis

<p>Sporting an afro and bling on its horns, Bouffalant has often been praised for its design. However, Bouffalant has other things going for it aside from its looks. Bouffalant's high Attack is backed by several powerful moves, including its signature move Head Charge, and its bulk allows it to take hits rather well. It also has access to Sap Sipper, which lets it take advantage of almost all Grass-types, such as Amoonguss and Lilligant, and also gives it an immunity to Smeargle's Spore. Unfortunately, Bouffalant is held back by its low Speed and rather bland typing that does next to nothing to help its coverage. However, if you can work around these problems, Bouffalant is a great Pokemon in RU, and its Afro will smash anything in its path. </p>

[SET]
name: Substitute
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Head Charge / Return
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Stone Edge / Swords Dance
item: Leftovers
ability: Sap Sipper
nature: Adamant
evs: 156 HP / 252 Atk / 100 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Because Bouffalant forces a lot of switches, it has many opportunities to set up a Substitute. Ideally, the goal is to switch into an expected Sleep Powder or another Grass-type move to get an Attack boost and then proceed to set up a Substitute as the opponent switches out. Another way to set up a Substitute is to scare away a wall and set one up as it switches out. Behind a Substitute, Bouffalant is very hard to revenge kill, as then it can take a hit from a Pokemon such as Hitmonlee or and Medicham and OHKO them back with ease. Head Charge is a potent 120 Base Power STAB attack coming off of Bouffalant's high Attack and will heavily dent even the bulkiest Pokemon if Bouffalant gets a Sap Sipper boost. Return is a weaker option, but because it doesn't deal any recoil damage, it can be used in order to set up more Substitutes. Normal is resisted by Rock-types and Steel-types, but Earthquake hits these two super effectively. Stone Edge destroys most Flying-types, such as Aerodactyl and Archeops, and is Bouffalant's best option against Rotom and other Levitating Ghosts, which are immune to its STAB and Earthquake. If Stone Edge is not needed, then Swords Dance is also a useful tool as Bouffalant can set up a Swords Dance as a slower opponent like Steelix breaks its Substitute, making it hit even harder.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread maximizes Attack and also outspeeds Lanturns that don't invest in Speed. Notably, Bouffalant has enough bulk to take an uninvested Scald from Lanturn so that its Substitute will remain intact. An alternative spread is to give invest 216 Speed EVs to outspeed all variants of Aggron without a Speed boosting nature. Maximum Speed outspeeds uninvested Qwlifish, but most Qwilfish invest in their Speed to outpace Adamant Bouffalant. Megahorn is an interesting option for this set, as after a Sap Sipper boost it is capable of OHKOing Slowking and also 2HKOing Tangrowth, but note that major targets of Megahorn are usually Grass-types, which are already helpless against Bouffalant.</p>

<p>Bouffalant is weak to Fighting-type attacks, and there are a number of users of these moves that reside in RU. Some Fighting-types like Hariyama can take a hit from Bouffalant, destroy its Substitute, and then proceed to OHKO, and others like Gallade can just flat out OHKO it. Due to this, Psychic-types such as Uxie and Slowking are good partners as they have an easy time against Fighting-types and can hit them back with their Psychic STABs. Bouffalant will have difficulties against Ghost-types, which are immune to its STAB, due to this Dark-type support from Drapion or Absol, which can hit hard with their STAB or hit Rotom or Misdreavus as they flee with Pursuit, is very useful. Note that if Bouffalant has Swords Dance, any Ghost that doesn't have an immunity to Ground will likely lose against Bouffalant. Finally, because Bouffalant is notable for its ability to force out or defeat almost every Grass-type in the tier, Pokemon like Omastar make good partners as they have a much easier time setting up for a sweep once their biggest obstacle is gone.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Head Charge
move 2: Stone Edge
move 3: Megahorn
move 4: Earthquake / Superpower
item: Choice Band

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Is Bouffalant not hitting hard enough for you? A Choice Band is an excellent fit for a Pokemon like Bouffalant, which can be a devastating physical attacker, especially if it gets a boost from Sap Sipper. As this set doesn't hold back, Head Charge is by far the superior choice and will demolish almost every Pokemon in RU. For example, 248/0 Escavalier gets 2HKOed by Head Charge with a Sap Sipper boost, despite having a decent bulk and resisting the move! Even without any Sap Sipper boosts, bulky Pokemon such as Poliwrath and Quagsire will get 2HKOed even with maximum investment.</p>

<p>The other moves are for coverage, as Head Charge doesn't always get the job done. Stone Edge gets past Pokemon like Sigilyph and Aerodactyl, easily OHKOing both of them. Once again, it is the best way for Bouffalant to deal with the likes of Rotom and other levitating Ghost-types. Megahorn is for denting Pokemon such as Cresselia, Uxie, and Tangrowth, which are bulky enough to take a Head Charge. The final slot is to take care of Steel-types. Earthquake is the more consistent option, dealing a good amount of damage to Steel-types like Steelix. However, Ferroseed takes neutral damage from Earthquake, but a Superpower will OHKO Ferroseed if Bouffalant gets a Sap Sipper boost. Unfortunately, this will often result in Bouffalant switching out, which makes Earthquake preferred in most cases.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EVs allows it Bouffalant to outspeed uninvested Lanturn, so it can't try to burn Bouffalant with Scald or do anything else irritating. 216 Speed EVs allow you to outspeed all Aggrons that do not have a boosting item or nature, which can allow Bouffalant to heavily damage it with an Earthquake before it can retaliate. Bouffalant has access to Pursuit, which can nail Rotom and Cryogonal if they try to flee from a different move. Return is a usable option over Head Charge if the recoil is not desired, but it is not suggested, as Bouffalant wants to hit as hard as possible, and the recoil is more often than not worth the increase in power.

<p>Although Bouffalant is capable of hitting several types of Pokemon hard, what it truly wants to do is eliminate the need to predict and use Head Charge without worrying about resists or immunities. This is also important to keep any boosts that have been accumulated through Sap Sipper. Ghost-types are easily worked around by using Dark-types such as Drapion and Absol, as their STAB Pursuits will trap them easily. Magneton is able to trap some of the Steel-types in RU, but there is no chance of it defeating Steelix, which unfortunately happens to be the most physically bulky Steel-type in the game. Water-types such as Omastar and Poliwrath are useful as they can get past Steelix with their Water STABs, and in return, Bouffalant can deal with the Grass-types that hinder them.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Bouffalant doesn't have many other options to consider. Bouffalant has access to Reckless, which makes its Head Charge hit 20% harder; however, losing out on Sap Sipper is very unfortunate. Wild Charge can be used with Reckless to hit Kabutops and Omastar harder, but note that Earthquake does enough to them and a neutral Head Charge is as powerful as a super effective Wild Charge. Anywhere Stone Edge is listed, Rock Slide can be used for a more accurate option, but the power drop is very noticeable, and even a super effective hit is hitting weaker than a neutral Head Charge. Bouffalant has other physical moves like Outrage, Iron Head, and Poison Jab, but they don't provide good coverage.</p>

<p>A Choice Scarf set can surprise a faster foe and land a KO on them, but Bouffalant doesn't have a good STAB for revenge killing or cleaning. Also, even with a Choice Scarf, the one Grass-type in the tier that actually can fight back, Sceptile, will still outspeed it and hit it with a Focus Blast to do a considerable amount of damage. Bouffalant can use Toxic to wear down walls, but Bouffalant has the power to 2HKO almost any wall in the tier, and the ones that it can't are generally immune to Toxic. Finally, Bouffalant has Rain Dance and Sunny Day, but it is generally outclassed at setting them up.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>While Bouffalant hits brutally hard, especially when backed up by a Sap Sipper boost, there are things that severely limit it. The best counters are Levitating Ghosts such as Rotom, Misdreavus, and Haunter, as they are immune to Head Charge and Earthquake while taking minimal damage from Megahorn. All three can also use Will-O-Wisp, which cripples Bouffalant. Steelix can also stop Bouffalant, as even an Earthquake isn't doing much thanks to its godly physical defenses. However, it will not enjoy taking an Earthquake if Bouffalant has acquired a lot of boosts, namely from a combination of Swords Dance and Sap Sipper. Ferroseed generally walls Bouffalant, and can deal enough damage with Gyro Ball to break Bouffalant's substitutes. Aside from a Choice Banded Head Charge, Quagsire can do well against Bouffalant, because it ignores Swords Dance and Sap Sipper boosts. Escavalier does not enjoy +1 Earthquakes or Stone Edges, but it otherwise is bulky enough to avoid 2HKOs from Head Charge as long as Bouffalant is only at +1, and can dent Bouffalant with a Choice Banded Megahorn. If nothing on your team can switch into Bouffalant safely, then revenge killing it is the way to go. As long as Bouffalant doesn't have a Substitute up, powerful Fighting-types such as Medcham and Hitmonlee can OHKO Bouffalant. Poliwrath in particular can avoid 2HKOs from unboosted variants and phaze it out with Circle Throw.</p>

Honko

he of many honks
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The spread you have on the first set is my favorite spread; I agree max Speed is usually a waste. Your EVs are off on the CB set, but I think that's a typo. You also have Leftovers listed as the item >_>

Personally I think CB is still the best set and should be listed first. Sub + 3 attacks is pretty disappointingly weak if you don't get the Sap Sipper boost. Molk has said SubSD is really good, but I haven't tried that so I'll let him talk about it.

Mention CB Pursuit in OO. Useful for taking down Cryo, Slowking, and Scarf Rotom.

Poliwrath is 2HKOed by CB Head Charge and is slower if it's Relaxed, so it definitely shouldn't be the first mon in C&C.

move 2: Head Charge
move 4: Stone Edge/Swords Dance/Megahorn

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
In the first set Stone Edge should get the main slash over Megahorn. When explaining the uses of Stone Edge in AC, you don't even mention its most important target, Rotom-A, and the main reason to make it the first slash. Megahorn is useful for Tangrowth and Slowking, yes, but defensive Tangrowth is set-up bait for Boufallant anyway, and not many Slowking want to switch in Boufalant (Head Charge still does a number to them btw and i think 2HKOes). So yeah Stone Edge has way more utility overall.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Good points, alexwolf. Not to mention Stone Edge lets it kill Aerodactyl / Archeops, as well as doing the most damage to Escavalier.

I'd put Choice Scarf set in OO. Choice Scarf is nice to do surprise kills and to revenge kill some pokèmons.

Also Substitute Sword Dance set deserves a small mention (always in OO), in my opinion. In this set Substitute is useful to make hard the revenge kill for opponents.

[Overview]
  • Good

[Substitute]
  • Should be, imo:

[SET]

• Stone Edge is its only way of hitting Rotom, but SubSD is phenomenal so there should be heavy mention of it in AC
  • With Swords Dance, it can do massive damage to its counters such as Steelix and Poliwrath which can help another sweeper to sweep
  • Move Megahorn to AC. Tangrowth normally can't do much to Bouffalant unless it has Focus Blast, and Bouffalant will die if it only 2HKOes Tangrowth with Megahorn. It can still beat Slowking with a few hits without Megahorn, and Stone Edge is more important imo
  • 216 Speed outspeeds Adamant Aggron, don't know if the rest of the QC team thinks that's important or not

[Choice Band]
  • Fix the main EVs
  • Maybe mention that 216 Speed EVs outspeed Adamant Aggron, but same as above
  • AC- Bouffalant can use Pursuit to trap something such as Rotom stuck on Shadow Ball

[Other Options]
  • Remove Swords Dance from here, it was really good when I used it
  • I'd remove Protect since HJK isn't all that common xD
  • Rock Slide instead of Stone Edge
  • Support moves- Toxic, Rain Dance, Sunny Day

[Checks and Counters]
  • Looks good, I guess you can just add Aggron if Bouffalant gets stuck on Head Charge or something

In my opinion, the Substitute set should be the first set because it can avoid status and is quite bulky, making it a huge threat to defensive teams.

[qc]1/3[/qc]

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
d_c got pretty much everything imo, but i would like dusknoir to be removed from checks and counters for being a big, steaming pile of shit that does nothing. It cant do shit to sub Bouff, actually. It needs focus punch to even have a chance of breaking its substitute, meanwhile bouff can set up from behind the sub and charge through it without even trying. This applies to every analysis, dusknoir counters nothing, really -_-.

Otherwise:

QC Approved 2/3

d_c got pretty much everything imo, but i would like dusknoir to be removed from checks and counters for being a big, steaming pile of shit that does nothing. It cant do shit to sub Bouff, actually. It needs focus punch to even have a chance of breaking its substitute, meanwhile bouff can set up from behind the sub and charge through it without even trying. This applies to every analysis, dusknoir counters nothing, really -_-.
252 Atk Choice Band Bouffalant (+Atk) Earthquake vs 252 HP/104 Def Dusknoir (+Def) : 35.03% - 41.5% (3 hits to KO)

Seismic Toss breaks the Sub if it runs the move. Dusknoir can also burn Bouffalant if it is a CB version, and its immune Head Charge. I'll remove it for now but I am pretty sure Bouffalant is struggling against a Dusknoir.

Will write this over the weekend

Ferroseed generally walls Bouffalant - however, Bouffalant walls Ferroseed back at it, as it will never break a substitute Bouffalant makes with Gyro Ball.
If Bouffalant also walls Ferroseed, then why is Ferroseed in Checks and Counters :p.

If Bouffalant also walls Ferroseed, then why is Ferroseed in Checks and Counters :p.
Because Molk said I should.

But yeah Ferroseed is not a counter - I was doubtful about it anyway so goodbye spikeball.

My computer just got fixed recently (I HOPE its fixed) but sorry I haven't gotten this written up yet.

complete legitimacy

is it cold in the water?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Bouffalant does not wall Ferroseed.

0 Atk Ferroseed Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 156 HP / 0 Def Bouffalant: 97-115 (26.21 - 31.08%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Stealth Rock

So yeah, please put this back in Checks and Counters. Ferroseed is actually one of Bouffalant's best checks provided you don't spam Leech Seed.

michael

m as in mancy
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Actually, with Ferroseed at minimum Speed, it hits 50, and with the set given, Bouffalant hits 172 Speed. Using the Gyro Ball formula, the Base Power is 172 / 50 * 25 = 85.5.

0 Atk Ferroseed (Move 1) vs. 156 HP / 0 Def Bouffalant: 57-67 (15.4 - 18.1%) -- possible 6HKO

Where Move 1 is a 86 BP Steel-type physical attack. Therefore, Gyro Ball will not break Bouffalant's Substitutes.

Forgive me if my reasoning was wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is correct.

michael

m as in mancy
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Ah, indeed you are right. I was using the onsite Ferroseed analysis and did not notice that it used 31 Speed IVs. I apologise for my oversight.

I think I didn't factor in the 0 Speed IVs in my calc - I was getting 20-24% or something but now I'm getting that calc too.

Meh I didn't remove it yet anyway

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Wild Charge can be used with Reckless to hit Kabutops and Omastar harder, but note that Earthquake is usually worth it and a Super-effective Head Charge is equally powerful as a Wild Charge.
Think you mean a Super-effective Wild Charge is as powerful as a neutral Head Charge.

Yonko7

Guns make you stupid. Duct tape makes you smart.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Remove
Add
Comment

[Overview]

<p>Sporting an afro and bling on its horns, Bouffalant has often been praised for its design. However, Bouffalant has other things going for it aside from its looks. Bouffalant's high aAttack is backed up by several powerful moves, including its signature move Head Charge, and its bulk allows it to take hits rather well. It also has access to Sap Sipper, which lets it take advantage of almost all Grass-types, such as Amoonguss and Lilligant, and it also sports an immunity to Smeargle's Spore. Unfortunately, Bouffalant is held back by its low speed and a rather bland typing in Normal -, while itch only provides one weakness, Fighting-types are really common. If you can work around these problems, Bouffalant is a great Pokemon in RU, and its Afro will smash anything anything in its path. </p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Becuase Bouffalant forces a lot of switches, it has many opportunities to set up a sSubstitute. Ideally, the goal here is to switch into an expected Sleep Powder or some another Grass-type move to get a boosted aAttack stat and then proceed to set up a Substitute as the opponent switches out. Another way to set up a Substitute is to scare away a wall and set up a Substitute on them as ithey switches out. Behind a sSubstitute, Bouffalant is very hard to revenge kill, as that wayen it can take a hit from a Pokemon such as Hitmonlee or Medicham and OHKO ithem back with easilye. Head Charge is a potent 120 bBase pPower STAB moveattack coming off of Bouffalant's high aAttack, and will heavily dent even the bulkierst Pokemon if it gets a Sap Sipper boost. Return is a weaker option, but becausince it doesn't deal any recoil damage, it can be used in order to set up more sSubstitutes. Normal is resisted by Rock-types and Steel-types, but Earthquake hits these two for super effective damagely. Stone Edge destroys most Flying-types, such as Aerodactyl and Archeops, and is Bouffalant's best option against Rotom and Levitating Ghosts, which are immune to its STAB and Earthquake. If Stone Edge is not needed, then Swords Dance is also a useful tool as Bouffalant can set up a Swords Dance as a slower opponent like Steelix breaks its subSubstitute, which makes it hit even harder.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread maximizes attack and also outspeeds Lanturns that don't invest in sSpeed. A notable achievement is that Bouffalant has enough bulk to take an uninvested Scald from Lanturn so that its sSubstitute will remain intact. An alternative spread is to give 216 Speed EVs to outspeed all variants of Aggron without a sSpeed boosting nature. Maxiumum sSpeed can be usoutspeed as uninvest outspeeds Qwlifish, but most Qwilfish invest in their sSpeed enough to always outpace Adamant Bouffalant. Megahorn is an interesting option for this set, as after a Sap Sipper boost it is capable of OHKOing Slowking and also 2HKOing Tangrowth, but note that major targets of Megahorn are usually Grass-types, which are already helpless against Bouffalant.</p>

<p>Bouffalant's is weak to Fighting-type moveattacks, and there are a lotnumber of Fighting-type Pokthemon that thrivreside in NRU, and there exists bulky ones like Hariyama that can take a hit from Bouffalant, destroy its sSubstitute, and then proceed to OHKO. (MENTION GALLADE ITS MORE POPULAR THAN HARIYAMA] Due to this, Psychic-types such as Uxie and Slowking are good partners as they have an easy time against Fighting-types as they resist their STABs and can hit them back with their ownPsychic STABs. Bouffalant will has difficulties against Ghost-types, which are immune to its STAB, and due to this it likes Dark-type support from Drapion or Absol, which can hit hard with their STAB or hit them(MENTION A SPECIFIC TARGET, ie ROTOM) as they flee with Pursuit. Note that if Bouffalant has Swords Dance, any Ghost that doesn't have an immunity to Ground will likely lose against Bouffalant. Finally, sincbecause Bouffalant ins notable for its ability to force out or defeat almost every Grass-type in the tier, Pokemon like Omastar have a much easier time setting up for a sweep once their biggest weaknessobstacle is gone.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Is Bouffalant not hitting hard enough for you? A Choice Band is an excellent fit for a Pokemon like Bouffalant, whereich it can be a devastating physical attacker, especially if it gets a boost from Sap Sipper. As this set doesn't hold back, Head Charge is by far the superior choice on this set, and will demolish almost every Pokemon in RU. For example, 248/0 Escavalier gets 2HKOed by Head Charge with a Sap Sipper boost, despite having a decent bulk and resisting the move! Even without any Sap Sipper boosts, bulky Pokemon such as Poliwrath and Quagsire will get 2HKOed even with maximum investment.</p>

<p>The other moves are for coverage, as Head Charge doesn't always get the job done. Stone Edge gets past Pokemon like Sigilyph and Aerodactyl, easily OHKOing both of them. Once again, it is the best way for Bouffalant to deal with the likes of Rotom and other levitating gGhost-types. Megahorn is for denting Pokemon likesuch as Cresselia, Uxie, and Tangrowth, which are bulky enough to take a Head Charge but are hard pressed to take a Megahorn. The final slowt is for howto take care of Steel-types will be dealt with. Earthquake is the more consistent option, doealing a good amount of damage to Steel-types like Steelix. However, Ferroseed takes neutral damage from Earthquake, but a Superpower will OHKO Ferroseed if Bouffalant gets a Sap Sipper boost. Unfortunately, this will often result in Bouffalant switching out, which makinges Earthquake prefferred in most cases.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EVs allows it to outspeed uninvested Lanturn, so then it doesn't try to burn Bouffalant with Scald or do anything else irritating. 216 Speed EVs allow you to outspeed all Aggrons that do not have a boosting item or nature, which can allow Bouffalant to heavily damage Aggron with an Earthquake before it can retaliate. Bouffalant has access to Pursuit, which is always an interesting option on a Choice Banded Pokemon, since it allows it to nail Rotom or Cryogonal in case they try to flee from a different move. Return is usable option over Head Charge in case the recoil from the move is not desired, but it is not suggested, as Bouffalant while Bouffalant isn't lacking on power, it wants to hit as hard as possible, and the recoil is more often than not worth the increase in power.

<p>Although Bouffalant is capable of hitting several types of Pokemon hard, what it truly wants to do is eliminate the need to predict and use Head Charge without worrying about resists or immunities. This is also important to keep any boosts that have been accumulated through Sap Sipper. Ghost-types are easily worked around by using Dark-types such as Drapion and Absol, as their STAB Pursuits will trap ghoststhem easily. Magneton is able to trap some of the Steel-types in RU, but there is no chance of it defeating Steelix, which unfortunately happens to be the most physically bulkyiest Steel-type in the game. Water-types such as Omastar and Poliwrath are useful as they can get past Steelix with their Water STABs, and in Return Bouffalant can deal with the Grass-types that hinder them.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Bouffalant doesn't have that many other options to consider. Bouffalant has access to Reckless, which makes its Head Charge hit 20% harder. H; however, losing out on Sap Sipper is a huge problem. Wild Charge can be used with Reckless to hit Kabutops and Omastar harder, but note that Earthquake is usually worth it and a neutral Head Charge is equally powerful as a super effective Wild Charge. Anywhere Stone Edge is listed, Rock Slide can be used for a more accurate option, but the power drop is very noticeable, and even a super effective hit is hitting weaker than a neutral Head Charge. Bouffalant has other physical moves like Outrage, Iron Head, and Poison Jab, but they don't provide good enough coverage.</p>

<p>A Choice Scarf set can surprise a faster foe and land a KO on them, but Bouffalant doesn't have a good STAB for revenge killing or cleaning. Also, even with a Choice Scarf, the one Grass-type in the tier that actually can fight back, Sceptile, will still outspeed it and hit it with a Focus Blast to do a considerable amount of damage. Bouffalant can use Toxic to wear down walls, but Bouffalant has the power to 2HKO almost any wall in the tier, and the ones that avoid it are generally immune to Toxic. Finally, it has Rain Dance and Sunny Day, but it is generally outclassed at setting them up.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>While Bouffalant hits brutally hard, especially when backed up by a Sap Sipper boost, there are things that severely limit Bouffalant. The best counters are Levitating Ghosts such as Rotom, Misdreavus, and Haunter, as they are immune to Head Charge and Earthquake while taking minimal damage from Megahorns. All three can also use Will-o-Wisp, which makcripples Bouffalant much weaker. Steelix can also can stop Bouffalant, as even an Earthquake isn't doing much thanks to its godly physical defenses. However, it will not enjoy taking an Earthquake if Bouffalant has acquired a lot of boosts, namely from a combination of Swords Dance and Sap Sipper. Ferroseed generally walls Bouffalant, and can deal enough damage with Gyro Ball so then it can break Bouffalant's substitutes. Aside from a Choice Banded Head Charge, Quagsire can do well against Bouffalant, sincbecause it ignores Swords Dance and Sap Sipper boosts. Escavalier does not enjoy +1 Earthquakes or Stone Edges, but it otherwise is bulky enough to avoid 2HKOs and can dent Bouffalant with a Choice Banded Megahorn. If nothing on your team can switch into Bouffalant safetly,(THEN WHAT) if Bouffalant has a Choice Band, powerful Fighting-types such as Medcham and Hitmolee can OHKO or severly dent Bouffalant. (THIS DOESN'T MAKE SENSE) Poliwrath gets an honorable mention as it can avoid 2HKOs from unboosted variants.</p>

[Overview]

<p>Sporting an afro and bling on its horns, Bouffalant has often been praised for its design. However, Bouffalant has other things going for it aside from its looks. Bouffalant's high Attack is backed by several powerful moves, including its signature move Head Charge, and its bulk allows it to take hits rather well. It also has access to Sap Sipper, which lets it take advantage of almost all Grass-types, such as Amoonguss and Lilligant, and it also sports an immunity to Smeargle's Spore. Unfortunately, Bouffalant is held back by its low speed and a rather bland typing, which only provides one weakness. If you can work around these problems, Bouffalant is a great Pokemon in RU, and its Afro will smash anything in its path. </p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Becuase Bouffalant forces a lot of switches, it has many opportunities to set up a Substitute. Ideally, the goal is to switch into an expected Sleep Powder or another Grass-type move to get a boosted Attack and then proceed to set up a Substitute as the opponent switches out. Another way to set up a Substitute is to scare away a wall and set up a Substitute as it switches out. Behind a Substitute, Bouffalant is very hard to revenge kill, as then it can take a hit from a Pokemon such as Hitmonlee or Medicham and OHKO them back with ease. Head Charge is a potent 120 Base Power STAB attack coming off of Bouffalant's high Attack, and will heavily dent even the bulkiest Pokemon if it gets a Sap Sipper boost. Return is a weaker option, but because it doesn't deal any recoil damage, it can be used in order to set up more Substitutes. Normal is resisted by Rock-types and Steel-types, but Earthquake hits these two for effectively. Stone Edge destroys most Flying-types, such as Aerodactyl and Archeops, and is Bouffalant's best option against Rotom and Levitating Ghosts, which are immune to its STAB and Earthquake. If Stone Edge is not needed, then Swords Dance is also a useful tool as Bouffalant can set up a Swords Dance as a slower opponent like Steelix breaks its Substitute, which makes it hit even harder.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread maximizes attack and also outspeeds Lanturns that don't invest in Speed. A notable achievement is that Bouffalant has enough bulk to take an uninvested Scald from Lanturn so that its Substitute will remain intact. An alternative spread is to give 216 Speed EVs to outspeed all variants of Aggron without a Speed boosting nature. Maximum Speed outspeeds uninvested Qwlifish, but most Qwilfish invest in their Speed to outpace Adamant Bouffalant. Megahorn is an interesting option for this set, as after a Sap Sipper boost it is capable of OHKOing Slowking and also 2HKOing Tangrowth, but note that major targets of Megahorn are usually Grass-types, which are already helpless against Bouffalant.</p>

<p>Bouffalant is weak to Fighting-type attacks, and there are a number of them that reside in RU, and there exists bulky ones like Hariyama that can take a hit from Bouffalant, destroy its Substitute, and then proceed to OHKO. (MENTION GALLADE ITS MORE POPULAR THAN HARIYAMA) Due to this, Psychic-types such as Uxie and Slowking are good partners as they have an easy time against Fighting-types and can hit them back with their Psychic STABs. Bouffalant will has difficulties against Ghost-types, which are immune to its STAB, and due to this Dark-type support from Drapion or Absol, which can hit hard with their STAB or hit (MENTION A SPECIFIC TARGET, ie ROTOM) as they flee with Pursuit. Note that if Bouffalant has Swords Dance, any Ghost that doesn't have an immunity to Ground will likely lose against Bouffalant. Finally, because Bouffalant is notable for its ability to force out or defeat almost every Grass-type in the tier, Pokemon like Omastar have a much easier time setting up for a sweep once their biggest obstacle is gone.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Is Bouffalant not hitting hard enough for you? A Choice Band is an excellent fit for a Pokemon like Bouffalant, which it can be a devastating physical attacker, especially if it gets a boost from Sap Sipper. As this set doesn't hold back, Head Charge is by far the superior choice on this set, and will demolish almost every Pokemon in RU. For example, 248/0 Escavalier gets 2HKOed by Head Charge with a Sap Sipper boost, despite having a decent bulk and resisting the move! Even without any Sap Sipper boosts, bulky Pokemon such as Poliwrath and Quagsire will get 2HKOed even with maximum investment.</p>

<p>The other moves are for coverage, as Head Charge doesn't always get the job done. Stone Edge gets past Pokemon like Sigilyph and Aerodactyl, easily OHKOing both of them. Once again, it is the best way for Bouffalant to deal with the likes of Rotom and other levitating Ghost-types. Megahorn is for denting Pokemon such as Cresselia, Uxie, and Tangrowth, which are bulky enough to take a Head Charge but are hard pressed to take a Megahorn. The final slot is to take care of Steel-types. Earthquake is the more consistent option, dealing a good amount of damage to Steel-types like Steelix. However, Ferroseed takes neutral damage from Earthquake, but a Superpower will OHKO Ferroseed if Bouffalant gets a Sap Sipper boost. Unfortunately, this will often result in Bouffalant switching out, which makes Earthquake preferred in most cases.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EVs allows it to outspeed uninvested Lanturn, so then it doesn't try to burn Bouffalant with Scald or do anything else irritating. 216 Speed EVs allow you to outspeed all Aggrons that do not have a boosting item or nature, which can allow Bouffalant to heavily damage Aggron with an Earthquake before it can retaliate. Bouffalant has access to Pursuit, as it nails Rotom or Cryogonal in case they try to flee from a different move. Return is usable option over Head Charge in case the recoil is not desired, but it is not suggested, as Bouffalant it wants to hit as hard as possible, and the recoil is more often than not worth the increase in power.

<p>Although Bouffalant is capable of hitting several types of Pokemon hard, what it truly wants to do is eliminate the need to predict and use Head Charge without worrying about resists or immunities. This is also important to keep any boosts that have been accumulated through Sap Sipper. Ghost-types are easily worked around by using Dark-types such as Drapion and Absol, as their STAB Pursuits will trap them easily. Magneton is able to trap some of the Steel-types in RU, but there is no chance of it defeating Steelix, which unfortunately happens to be the most physically bulkiest Steel-type in the game. Water-types such as Omastar and Poliwrath are useful as they can get past Steelix with their Water STABs, and in Return Bouffalant can deal with the Grass-types that hinder them.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Bouffalant doesn't have many other options to consider. Bouffalant has access to Reckless, which makes its Head Charge hit 20% harder; however, losing out on Sap Sipper is a huge problem. Wild Charge can be used with Reckless to hit Kabutops and Omastar harder, but note that Earthquake is usually worth it and a neutral Head Charge is equally powerful as a super effective Wild Charge. Anywhere Stone Edge is listed, Rock Slide can be used for a more accurate option, but the power drop is very noticeable, and even a super effective hit is hitting weaker than a neutral Head Charge. Bouffalant has other physical moves like Outrage, Iron Head, and Poison Jab, but they don't provide good coverage.</p>

<p>A Choice Scarf set can surprise a faster foe and land a KO on them, but Bouffalant doesn't have a good STAB for revenge killing or cleaning. Also, even with a Choice Scarf, the one Grass-type in the tier that actually can fight back, Sceptile, will still outspeed it and hit it with a Focus Blast to do a considerable amount of damage. Bouffalant can use Toxic to wear down walls, but Bouffalant has the power to 2HKO almost any wall in the tier, and the ones that avoid it are generally immune to Toxic. Finally, it has Rain Dance and Sunny Day, but it is generally outclassed at setting them up.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>While Bouffalant hits brutally hard, especially when backed up by a Sap Sipper boost, there are things that severely limit Bouffalant. The best counters are Levitating Ghosts such as Rotom, Misdreavus, and Haunter, as they are immune to Head Charge and Earthquake while taking minimal damage from Megahorn. All three can also use Will-o-Wisp, which cripples Bouffalant. Steelix can also stop Bouffalant, as even an Earthquake isn't doing much thanks to its godly physical defenses. However, it will not enjoy taking an Earthquake if Bouffalant has acquired a lot of boosts, namely from a combination of Swords Dance and Sap Sipper. Ferroseed generally walls Bouffalant, and can deal enough damage with Gyro Ball so then it can break Bouffalant's substitutes. Aside from a Choice Banded Head Charge, Quagsire can do well against Bouffalant, because it ignores Swords Dance and Sap Sipper boosts. Escavalier does not enjoy +1 Earthquakes or Stone Edges, but it otherwise is bulky enough to avoid 2HKOs and can dent Bouffalant with a Choice Banded Megahorn. If nothing on your team can switch into Bouffalant safetly(THEN WHAT) if Bouffalant has a Choice Band, powerful Fighting-types such as Medcham and Hitmolee can OHKO or severly dent Bouffalant. (THIS DOESN'T MAKE SENSE) Poliwrath gets an honorable mention as it can avoid 2HKOs from unboosted variants.</p>

Nice job writing this Swamp-Rocket! ^.^

Just some things to note
  • Capitalize direct stats, for example Attack, Speed
  • There were some irregular wordings so watch out for them
  • Some spelling errors too

There were also some parts that you should expand, I noted those in the check.

Good Job!

Do that and
[gp]1/2[/gp]

GP check. Good job on writing this! Let's get this done.
Additions in Blue
Subtractions in Red
Comments in Purple

[Overview]

<p>Sporting an afro and bling on its horns, Bouffalant has often been praised for its design. However, Bouffalant has other things going for it aside from its looks. Bouffalant's high Attack is backed by several powerful moves, including its signature move Head Charge, and its bulk allows it to take hits rather well. It also has access to Sap Sipper, which lets it take advantage of almost all Grass-types, such as Amoonguss and Lilligant, and it also sports sport an immunity to Smeargle's Spore. Unfortunately, Bouffalant is held back by its low speed Speed and a rather bland typing, which only provides one weakness (only having one weakness seems like it would be a good thing; either remove this or rephrase it to something like: which, while only providing one weakness, [something bad about its typing]). If However, if you can work around these problems, Bouffalant is a great Pokemon in RU, and its Afro will smash anything in its path. </p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Becuase Because Bouffalant forces a lot of switches, it has many opportunities to set up a Substitute. Ideally, the goal is to switch into an expected Sleep Powder or another Grass-type move to get a boosted an Attack boost and then proceed to set up a Substitute as the opponent switches out. Another way to set up a Substitute is to scare away a wall and set one up a Substitute as it switches out. Behind a Substitute, Bouffalant is very hard to revenge kill, as then it can take a hit from a Pokemon such as Hitmonlee or and Medicham and OHKO them back with ease. Head Charge is a potent 120 Base Power STAB attack coming off of Bouffalant's high Attack, (remove comma) and will heavily dent even the bulkiest Pokemon if it Bouffalant gets a Sap Sipper boost. Return is a weaker option, but because it doesn't deal any recoil damage, it can be used in order to set up more Substitutes. Normal is resisted by Rock-types and Steel-types, but Earthquake hits these two for super effectively. Stone Edge destroys most Flying-types, such as Aerodactyl and Archeops, and is Bouffalant's best option against Rotom and other (assuming your referring to normal Rotom here) Levitating Ghosts, which are immune to its STAB and Earthquake. If Stone Edge is not needed, then Swords Dance is also a useful tool as Bouffalant can set up a Swords Dance as a slower opponent like Steelix breaks its Substitute, which makes making it hit even harder.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread maximizes attack Attack and also outspeeds Lanturns that don't invest in Speed. A notable achievement is that Notably, Bouffalant has enough bulk to take an uninvested Scald from Lanturn so that its Substitute will remain intact. An alternative spread is to give invest 216 Speed EVs to outspeed all variants of Aggron without a Speed boosting nature. Maximum Speed outspeeds uninvested Qwlifish, but most Qwilfish invest in their Speed to outpace Adamant Bouffalant. Megahorn is an interesting option for this set, as after a Sap Sipper boost it is capable of OHKOing Slowking and also 2HKOing Tangrowth, but note that major targets of Megahorn are usually Grass-types, which are already helpless against Bouffalant.</p>

<p>Bouffalant is weak to Fighting-type attacks, and there are a number of them users of these moves that reside in RU. Some Fighting-types like Hariyama that can take a hit from Bouffalant, destroy its Substitute, and then proceed to OHKO, and others like Gallade can just flat out OHKO it. Due to this, Psychic-types such as Uxie and Slowking are good partners as they have an easy time against Fighting-types and can hit them back with their Psychic STABs. Bouffalant will has have difficulties against Ghost-types, which are immune to its STAB, (change to semicolon) and due to this Dark-type support from Drapion or Absol, which can hit hard with their STAB or hit Rotom or Misdreavus as they flee with Pursuit, is very useful. Note that if Bouffalant has Swords Dance, any Ghost that doesn't have an immunity to Ground will likely lose against Bouffalant. Finally, because Bouffalant is notable for its ability to force out or defeat almost every Grass-type in the tier, Pokemon like Omastar make good partners as they have a much easier time setting up for a sweep once their biggest obstacle is gone.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Is Bouffalant not hitting hard enough for you? A Choice Band is an excellent fit for a Pokemon like Bouffalant, which it can be a devastating physical attacker, especially if it gets a boost from Sap Sipper. As this set doesn't hold back, Head Charge is by far the superior choice on this set, (remove comma) and will demolish almost every Pokemon in RU. For example, 248/0 Escavalier gets 2HKOed by Head Charge with a Sap Sipper boost, despite having a decent bulk and resisting the move! Even without any Sap Sipper boosts, bulky Pokemon such as Poliwrath and Quagsire will get 2HKOed even with maximum investment.</p>

<p>The other moves are for coverage, as Head Charge doesn't always get the job done. Stone Edge gets past Pokemon like Sigilyph and Aerodactyl, easily OHKOing both of them. Once again, it is the best way for Bouffalant to deal with the likes of Rotom and other levitating Ghost-types. Megahorn is for denting Pokemon such as Cresselia, Uxie, and Tangrowth, which are bulky enough to take a Head Charge but are hard pressed to take a Megahorn. The final slot is to take care of Steel-types. Earthquake is the more consistent option, dealing a good amount of damage to Steel-types like Steelix. However, Ferroseed takes neutral damage from Earthquake, but a Superpower will OHKO Ferroseed if Bouffalant gets a Sap Sipper boost. Unfortunately, this will often result in Bouffalant switching out, which makes Earthquake preferred in most cases.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EVs allows it Bouffalant to outspeed uninvested Lanturn, so then it doesn't it can't try to burn Bouffalant with Scald or do anything else irritating. 216 Speed EVs allow you to outspeed all Aggrons that do not have a boosting item or nature, which can allow Bouffalant to heavily damage Aggron it with an Earthquake before it can retaliate. Bouffalant has access to Pursuit, as it nails which can nail Rotom or and Cryogonal in case if they try to flee from a different move. Return is a usable option over Head Charge in case if the recoil is not desired, but it is not suggested, as Bouffalant it wants to hit as hard as possible, and the recoil is more often than not worth the increase in power.

<p>Although Bouffalant is capable of hitting several types of Pokemon hard, what it truly wants to do is eliminate the need to predict and use Head Charge without worrying about resists or immunities. This is also important to keep any boosts that have been accumulated through Sap Sipper. Ghost-types are easily worked around by using Dark-types such as Drapion and Absol, as their STAB Pursuits will trap them easily. Magneton is able to trap some of the Steel-types in RU, but there is no chance of it defeating Steelix, which unfortunately happens to be the most physically bulkiest bulky Steel-type in the game. Water-types such as Omastar and Poliwrath are useful as they can get past Steelix with their Water STABs, and in Return (add comma) Bouffalant can deal with the Grass-types that hinder them.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Bouffalant doesn't have many other options to consider. Bouffalant has access to Reckless, which makes its Head Charge hit 20% harder; however, losing out on Sap Sipper is a huge problem very unfortunate. Wild Charge can be used with Reckless to hit Kabutops and Omastar harder, but note that Earthquake is usually worth it and a neutral Head Charge is equally as powerful as a super effective Wild Charge. Anywhere Stone Edge is listed, Rock Slide can be used for a more accurate option, but the power drop is very noticeable, and even a super effective hit is hitting weaker than a neutral Head Charge. Bouffalant has other physical moves like Outrage, Iron Head, and Poison Jab, but they don't provide good coverage.</p>

<p>A Choice Scarf set can surprise a faster foe and land a KO on them, but Bouffalant doesn't have a good STAB for revenge killing or cleaning. Also, even with a Choice Scarf, the one Grass-type in the tier that actually can fight back, Sceptile, will still outspeed it and hit it with a Focus Blast to do a considerable amount of damage. Bouffalant can use Toxic to wear down walls, but Bouffalant has the power to 2HKO almost any wall in the tier, and the ones that avoid it can't are generally immune to Toxic. Finally, it Bouffalant has Rain Dance and Sunny Day, but it is generally outclassed at setting them up.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>While Bouffalant hits brutally hard, especially when backed up by a Sap Sipper boost, there are things that severely limit Bouffalant it. The best counters are Levitating Ghosts such as Rotom, Misdreavus, and Haunter, as they are immune to Head Charge and Earthquake while taking minimal damage from Megahorn. All three can also use Will-o-Wisp Will-O-Wisp, which cripples Bouffalant. Steelix can also stop Bouffalant, as even an Earthquake isn't doing much thanks to its godly physical defenses. However, it will not enjoy taking an Earthquake if Bouffalant has acquired a lot of boosts, namely from a combination of Swords Dance and Sap Sipper. Ferroseed generally walls Bouffalant, (remove comma) and can deal enough damage with Gyro Ball so then it can to break Bouffalant's substitutes. Aside from a Choice Banded Head Charge, Quagsire can do well against Bouffalant, because it ignores Swords Dance and Sap Sipper boosts. Escavalier does not enjoy +1 Earthquakes or Stone Edges, but it otherwise is bulky enough to avoid 2HKOs (didn't you mention it can get 2HKOed by banded boosted Head Charge earlier too?) and can dent Bouffalant with a Choice Banded Megahorn. If nothing on your team can switch into Bouffalant safetly safely, then revenge killing it is the way to go. As long as Bouffalant doesn't have a Substitute up, powerful Fighting-types such as Medcham and Hitmolee Hitmonlee can OHKO Bouffalant. Poliwrath in partcicular particular can avoid 2HKOs from unboosted variants and phaze it out with Circle Throw.</p>

[gp]2/2[/gp]

Be more careful with GP checks next time. The [Overview] tag was missing and there were various errors such as "Lanturns / Aggrons," "An alternative spread is to give invest 216 Speed EVs," "Ghost" -> Ghost-type, and some missed changes.

Uploaded

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)