Brackets (Playable on Aqua)

Eevee General and The Immortal approve this message.
Welcome to Brackets!
Leaders:
TheBlueFiretruck and M'joe'ra

Bootiful banner by the glorious Astara ;)

In standard Pokemon play, priority brackets and speed stats are unconnected. In this OM, they are one and the same thing. A Pokemon with a(n actual, not base) speed stat of 1-150 will have 0 priority, but a Pokemon with a speed stat of 151-300 will automatically have its moves boosted to +1 priority, and so on. Raising your speed stat with an ability, move, or item will move you up in the priority brackets as necessary.​
  • Anything with negative priority
  • 001-150 speed = ±0 priority
  • 151-300 speed = +1 priority
  • 301-450 speed = +2 priority
  • 451-600 speed = +3 priority
  • 601-750 speed = +4 priority
  • 751-900 speed = +5 priority
  • 901-1050 speed = you outspeed everything in the game lol

Bans:
  • Standard OU Bans + Clauses
Unbans:
  • Mega Blaziken (lolno)

Now this doesn't mean that priority moves completely lose their usefulness, but they are nerfed in some ways. For example, if you're using a full speed EV Azumarill with a Hasty nature (man, you're weird), then your speed is 218, and should hit at +1 priority. If you used Aqua Jet however, the extra priority would be added on to result in +2 priority (this mechanic is also applied to negative priority moves). Theoretically though, a mon with boosted speed in the +3 range would outspeed and destroy your Azumarill, despite the bracket jump. This means that Speed Boost becomes invaluable, and moves like Agility are vastly improved. Now you can finally outbracket those pesky Protect/Fake Out users, and can sweep a team with a speedy Sashed mon with nothing to worry about despite your 1 HP. If you're uneasy about Prankster statusers, don't be. Most Prankster users are very slow (shuck it, Whimiscott exists) and are therefore unable to outspeed you even with the +1.

How will Trick Room work?
I have no clue, ask Pikachuun.
Is there any downside to leading with a Sticky Web setter?
There's no way to be sure during the pre-coded phase, but this is a possible suspect idea. Galvantula spam is a real possibility in this meta, seeing that laying down those Webs immediately gives your team the upper hand.
What happens if my bracket outspeeds Mega Evolution and the like?
This problem was dealt with by capping the possible priority achieved by any bracket at 5.99 priority. If your speed stat transfers to a bracket higher than this, the priority will automatically shift down to the max. Otherwise this happens o-o http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/aqua-brackets-2509 (Turn 16)

Credit to M'joe'ra for these
Talonflame

With the advent of speed priority brackets you would think that Talonflame has lost its job as a priority sweeper in the meta, but you'd be wrong. With Gale Wings talon keeps its +1 priority against everything in its speed tier barring setup sweepers and some Scarfers. Some of the things Talon can do are force a switch against some fast threats such as Mega Lop, Mega Bee, Mega Lade, and set up Tailwind, giving every poke on your team at least 1 higher of a priority bracket and up to 3 more if you’re using Ninjask unless you’re running something like Ferrothorn.

Suggested set:

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak/Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Tailwind

Sharpedo

Mega jawsus has come with broom in fin. Speed Boost is an incredible ability that this mega shark can abuse quite handily, with an adamant nature after just 1 speed boost it out speeds everything that isn’t boosted or is named Mega Aero, Mega Zam, Ninjask or Deo-s form AND THAT IS BEFORE IT MEGAS. With mega stats and an adamant nature at +1 it out priority brackets literally everything and has an attack stat and ability to sweep slightly weakened teams.

Suggested set:

Sharpedo @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Ice Fang/Zen Headbutt

Excadrill

If you are looking for a setup weather sweeper then Excadrill is your man. Under sand with the correct investments, this man has the ability to out bracket everything including Talonflames that are not choosing a flying type move and has the bulk to either spin away hazards or setup a SD. The only thing that Exca asks in return is that you setup a sandstorm.

Suggested set:

Excadrill @ Focus Sash/Lum Berry/Life Orb/Air Balloon
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance

Swampert

If sand just isn’t your cup of tea then you can run the powerful Mega Swampert. This beast has the bulk to tank hits from most everything that isn’t a grass type move with its fantastic typing and decently good bulk stats, then proceed to hit extremely hard back. Another fantastic thing about Mega Pert is that with correct investments, it can make it into the highly coveted 451-600 speed bracket in rain.

Suggested set:

Swampert @ Swampertite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rain Dance/Superpower
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

Hawlucha

Unburden is a powerful tool in normal OU, and Brackets is no exception. Hawlucha is one of the most common abusers of Unburden by setting up substitutes until he eats his berry and double his speed, with an Unburden boost and just 116 speed evs he is able to get into the godlike 601-750 speed bracket, out prioritizing literally everything that isn’t named protect or fake out. Another thing that he is able to do is setup Swords Dances and sweep with obscenely powerful stab high jump kicks or acrobatics.

Suggested set:

Hawlucha @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 140 HP / 252 Atk / 116 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- High Jump Kick
- Acrobatics

Doublade

With everything looking to be the fastest mon around sometimes you just have to be slow to win, Doublade fulfills this role of a slow offensive mon extremely well by being slow enough to pull off very strong Gyro Balls yet very strong and being able to wall or check a decent part of the meta, especially Hawlucha. Eviolite is the perfect item for him, giving him a defense stat of 525 while patching up its pitiful special defense stat from a measly 135 to a bit better 203.

Suggested set:

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Claw
- Gyro Ball
- Sacred Sword

Lopunny

The master of fast paced power has returned from its throne in OU to come and wreak havoc among Brackets as the queen of Fake Out and Scrappy High Jump Kick spam. When running around with her usual set, she can get off at least some chip damage on everything that isn’t in the 750-900 speed bracket or higher with +5 priority fake outs and then destroy any Chansey or Doublade that decides to get in the way of your team.

Suggested set:

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Ice Punch/Thunder Punch/Substitute
Goodra

With speed being the crucial point in this metagame, having an ability that lower’s the opponent’s speed when attacked by a contact move is extremely valuable. This set focuses on this ability by attempting to keep Goodra alive as long as possible while lowering as much of the opponent’s speed as possible, either by its ability gooey or by bulldoze.

Suggested Set:

Goodra @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Gooey
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD or 252 Def
Sassy or Brave Nature
- Rest
- Toxic
- Draco Meteor/Dragon Pulse
- Bulldoze/Earthquake/Muddy Water

Bronzong

Another interesting mechanic that got buffed in this metagame is Trick Room. This move does its normal stuff but with the added boost of flipping the priority brackets. So all your fast mons in the +2 priority bracket get -2 priority instead. Brozong is one of if not the best setters of trick room while having the added bonus of stealth rocks or if it is not in trick room the ability to lower speed with bulldoze and go out with a bang by using Explosion.

Suggested set:

Bronzong @ Mental Herb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
- Trick Room
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake/Bulldoze/Gyro Ball
- Explosion

Politoed

With every rain sweeper there is almost always a rain setter and just as in regular tiers Politoed fits the bill. Given the current setup, Politoed is able to outpace max speed Azumarill and lock it into a belly drum with encore if it has just used it. Along with Toxic or hypnosis to either halt or put a timer or an opponent’s sweep and Rest to keep it alive to bring in rain once again, Politoed is arguably the best there is in the realm of rain.

Suggested set:

Politoed @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 164 SpD / 96 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Hypnosis/Toxic
- Encore
- Rest

Hippowdon

You know what this meta needs? It needs more sand, WISH GRANTED! Hippowdon is the man of the hour right now and he is here to give all the excadrills the present that they’ve always wanted. This setup allows you to be in the 151-300 Bracket while at the same time keeping as much bulk as possible. Not only can hippo set up sand, but he can also set up rocks too and at the same time lower your opponent’s speed with a STAB bulldoze. Slack Off gives hippo longevity alongside with whirlwind or toxic to dissuade any attempts at your opponent trying to pull off a sweep.

Suggested set:

Hippowdon @ Smooth Rock/leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 Spe or 252 HP / 172 SpD / 84 Spe
Impish or Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Earthquake/Bulldoze
- Whirlwind/Toxic

Whimsicott

A slightly unusual threat to see in a metagame, Whimsicott has managed to find some viability in this metagame with the advent of tailwind and paralysis. This set allows whimsicott’s moves to break into the 451-600 bracket of priority while at the same time staying alive for as long as possible. The main attractions of this set are tailwind and stun spore, allowing either your pokes to break into absurd speed brackets and or slow your opponent into abhorrently slow brackets. The last 2 moves in the set allow Whimsi to take advantage of setup moves to an extent or stall out a mon that either is low on power points or is going to die to something like toxic soon.

Suggested set:

Whimsicott @ Leftovers/Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 132 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stun Spore/Leech Seed
- Tailwind/Stun Spore
- Substitute
- Encore

Combusken

Ever wished your super slow yet super strong mon could break into those higher brackets and wreak havoc? Well now you can with Combusken! This little guy has some impressive bulk due to eviolite and enough speed to outpace certain threats after 1 boost while retaining enough bulk to survive long enough to pass the boosts to a stronger mon. Protect gives you the initial boost while bulk up increases your longevity and the amount of boosts that you will give to the receiver of the baton. The last move in the recommended set is substitute, it allows you to escape from damage and possibly add in some extra boosts if played right.

Suggested set:

Combusken @ Eviolite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 192 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Baton Pass
- Bulk Up/Sword’s Dance
- Substitute/Flare Blitz

Galvantula

Last but not least there is the speed control master himself. Galvantula has been bless in this metagame by having the ability to hamper your opponent’s speed with sticky web drops or paralysis from thunder wave or a compound eyes boosted thunder. Although galvantula comes up just a touch short by having a special attack stat of 293, he makes up for it by having the strong and now rarely missing STAB of thunder along with a secondary STAB that can go through substitutes. Finally galvantula has the gift of the very strong 301-450 speed tier, which allows it to get off its speed traps quickly and effectively.

Suggested Set:

Galvantula @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sticky Web
- Thunder
- Bug Buzz
- Thunder Wave/Energy Ball

P.S. Thanks to Pikachuun for coding this.

Last edited:

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ehm, I might not understand the goal of this, but it seems like it doesn't change anything as everything is still as fast as the other respectively (A Pokemon in the speed tier of 280 being higher than one in 50.) The only thing that changes is the use of priority moves, but is that all this meta does, or am I overlooking something?

Ehm, I might not understand the goal of this, but it seems like it doesn't change anything as everything is still as fast as the other respectively (A Pokemon in the speed tier of 280 being higher than one in 50.) The only thing that changes is the use of priority moves, but is that all this meta does, or am I overlooking something?
The only thing it directly changes is priority moves, yes. But usually speedy Sashed mons are easily revenged with priority moves, which may no longer be the case here. It also allows a chance for speed boosting moves and abilities to really shine.

I don't see how Trick Room would "destroy" the meta. Trick Room should, in fact, be 100% useless, because it doesn't change Speed nor does it affect priority, so Shuckle in Trick Room is effortlessly out-prioritied by... everything ever, basically.

I assume Scarves are accounted for in determining priority bracket, yes?

An odd consequence of this meta is that increased priority moves are actually low value -Azumarill's Aqua Jet will be outsped by neutral priority moves off really fast Pokemon, so Azumarill gets less value out of Aqua Jet, and Azumarill's lightning fast opponent also gets less value out of Aqua Jet because they'll outpriority anyway. Increased priority moves are basically only useful for pushing past similar Speed Pokemon, broadly speaking.

On the other hand, really really fast Pokemon can abuse the heck out of stuff like Circle Throw. Mega Lopunny might run Circle Throw, for instance, if popular Pokemon are so badly outsped by it that Circle Throw still goes first. Actually, a really terrifying scenario is Hawlucha triggering Unburden and then Focus Punching its way through the opposition. 118 base Speed, Unburden doubles it... yikes.

Also Counter and Mirror Coat are bad on non-slow Pokemon, full stop.

I don't see how Trick Room would "destroy" the meta. Trick Room should, in fact, be 100% useless, because it doesn't change Speed nor does it affect priority, so Shuckle in Trick Room is effortlessly out-prioritied by... everything ever, basically.
I didn't see the discussion on trick room when this meta was being formed/approved but from what i can see the term 'destroying' in this case means things becoming overly complicated to the point of making no one really wanting to play the meta. TBF can and probably will correct me on that. Now that i can see/edit this meta i will-unless someone tells me otherwise-get to making trick room work in a simple and effective manner. I have off for all of the next week so I will have some time on my hands.
EDIT: Another thing that I will get to tomorrow is better description of goodra's sets and other defensive sets for other pokes

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
P.S. Pikachuun could you code this for me pl0x? .-.
config/formats.js
Code:
    {
        name: "Brackets",
        section: "Other Metagames",

ruleset: ['Pokemon', 'Standard', 'Team Preview'],
        banlist: ['Uber', 'Soul Dew', 'Gengarite', 'Kangaskhanite', 'Lucarionite'],
        onModifyPriority: function (priority, pokemon, target, move) {
            if (move && pokemon.speed > 0 && priority < 6) {
                var p = priority + Math.floor((pokemon.speed - 1)/150);
                if (p >= 6) {
                    p = 5.99 //You will never outprioritize switching.
                }
                return p;
            } else if (move && pokemon.speed < 0 && priority < 6) { //Trick Room Case
                var p = -(priority + Math.floor((-pokemon.speed - 1)/150));
                if (p >= 6) {
                    p = 5.99 //You will never outprioritize switching.
                }
                return p;
            } else {
                return priority;
            }
        }

Last edited:
I believe we were looking at this the wrong way, not accounting for the fact that all moves are boosted in priority if the speed stat is 151 or higher. Seeing that that's pretty much every Pokemon, Trick Room is now unbanned, but it's useless so don't get too excited.
I assume Scarves are accounted for in determining priority bracket, yes?
Raising your speed stat with an ability, move, or item will move you up in the priority brackets as necessary.

Thanks Pika! <3​

Pikachuun

I believe we were looking at this the wrong way, not accounting for the fact that all moves are boosted in priority if the speed stat is 151 or higher. Seeing that that's pretty much every Pokemon, Trick Room is now unbanned, but it's useless so don't get too excited.
Fun fact of the day: My code actually keeps trick room's original mechanics in mind as an adverse effect, as your speed becomes negative while in trick room thanks to based sim mechanics, meaning that your priority drops (unless it overflows)! I can easily fix that if needed/requested, though.

Fun fact of the day: My code actually keeps trick room's original mechanics in mind as an adverse effect, as your speed becomes negative while in trick room thanks to based sim mechanics, meaning that your priority drops (unless it overflows)! I can easily fix that if needed/requested, though.
If im understanding you correctly, the fastest pokes lose their speed and high priority brackets and vise versa for slow pokes, ha ha. If i am, then that was exactly what i was thinking! Thank you!

Last edited:
Apologies for the double post but Pikachuun, how does your code handle pokes that have been paralyzed? Does it keep it's original bracket or get a new one due to the drop in speed with the status? If the code does nothing I would prefer it to give it a new bracket with it's drop in speed due to the status.

Pikachuun

Apologies for the double post but Pikachuun, how does your code handle pokes that have been paralyzed? Does it keep it's original bracket or get a new one due to the drop in speed with the status? If the code does nothing I would prefer it to give it a new bracket with it's drop in speed due to the status.
If I'm not mistaken it would give it a new bracket automatically.

The only thing it directly changes is priority moves, yes. But usually speedy Sashed mons are easily revenged with priority moves, which may no longer be the case here. It also allows a chance for speed boosting moves and abilities to really shine.
Just a small thing i noticed, The speed brackets change the priority of ALL moves not just priority moves, so your pokes in the 301-450 speed tier get +2 priority on ALL moves.

Just a small thing i noticed, The speed brackets change the priority of ALL moves not just priority moves, so your pokes in the 301-450 speed tier get +2 priority on ALL moves.
That's the idea, yes. But since the priority of similar-speed Pokémon is the same and a Pokémon that outspeeds would outspeed regardless of priority modifications, it has no overall effect on interactions until moves with actual priority modifications get involved.

OP says something about +5 Roars in Trick Room, but that's not how it works. From the code in Pikachuun's post, Trick Room does not flip priority brackets, it only flips Speed stats. So a Pokémon who gets +5 priority from Speed instead ends up with a -5 bracket. This does mean that it's possible to underspeed Roar in Trick Room, however, as you can end up with a Pokémon having a -6 bracket after Trick Room, giving a Pokémon who retains a neutral bracket in TR the ability to outspeed with Roar. That said, it's no different from outside of Trick Room; a Pokémon with a +6 priority bracket can use a phazing move before a Pokémon with a ±0 bracket can act.

Incidentally, in this meta you have to beat a foe's priority in order to move first, not merely match it. This is because even after priority, your Speed still checks against their Speed to guarantee you move second. For example, Sand Rush Excadrill will move first even before Talonflame's Gale Wings Brave Bird despite their matching priority, as Excadrill is faster in sand. Using Gale Wings Brave Bird just means you both have +3, but Excadrill's 550 Speed > Talonflame's 351 Speed so Excadrill still moves first. I'm having trouble thinking of a way around this, but the first thing that comes to mind is to increase the magnitude of moves' natural priority modifications (Mach Punch gives +2, for example, while Roar gives -7 and Focus Punch gives -2) while also increasing the frequency of new brackets.

Oh, also, error in Pikachuun's code: +1 bracket is hit at 150 exactly, not 151. Same with all other brackets. +2 starts at 300, +3 starts at 450, +4 starts at 600, +5 starts at 750, and +6 starts at 900.

Pikachuun

OP says something about +5 Roars in Trick Room, but that's not how it works. From the code in Pikachuun's post, Trick Room does not flip priority brackets, it only flips Speed stats. So a Pokémon who gets +5 priority from Speed instead ends up with a -5 bracket. This does mean that it's possible to underspeed Roar in Trick Room, however, as you can end up with a Pokémon having a -6 bracket after Trick Room, giving a Pokémon who retains a neutral bracket in TR the ability to outspeed with Roar. That said, it's no different from outside of Trick Room; a Pokémon with a +6 priority bracket can use a phazing move before a Pokémon with a ±0 bracket can act.

Oh, also, error in Pikachuun's code: +1 bracket is hit at 150 exactly, not 151. Same with all other brackets. +2 starts at 300, +3 starts at 450, +4 starts at 600, +5 starts at 750, and +6 starts at 900.
Fixed

Shouldn't the Trick Room check be with Speed+1 instead of Speed-1? Also your code is now more borked. Superfast mons end up with positive priority even in Trick Room, while it also flips the priority of moves.

For example, a 600 speed mon using Roar in Trick Room:
newpriority = -(-6 + math.floor((-600 - 1)/150)) = -(-6 + math.floor((-601)/150)) = -(-6 + -5) = -(-11) = 11.

You should subtract the Speed priority instead of adding if you're going to multiply everything by -1 afterwards, which also means you need to use a +1 to Speed instead of a -1, and you need to use ceil() instead of floor(). Or you could multiply Speed by -1 again. So with a 600 Speed mon using Roar in Trick Room you should get:
newpriority = -(-6 + math.floor((-(-600) - 1)/150)) = -(-6 + math.floor(599/150)) = -(-6 + 3) = -(-3) = 3.
A Pokémon with +3 Speed priority using Roar should have -3 priority normally, which if priority is flipped in Trick Room makes it +3.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)