Braviary [0/3]

[Overview]
  • 123 base Attack hurts like a mother.
  • High powered moves.
  • Decent bulk.
  • Somewhat slow, though still outrun certain threats.
  • Somewhat shallow movepool.
  • Stealth rock weakness
  • Fights for the American people.

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Brave Bird
move 2: Superpower
move 3: Return/Rock Slide
move 4: U-turn/Shadow Claw
item: Choice Band
ability: Keen eye/Sheer Force
nature: Adamant/Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def

[SET COMMENTS]

• 2HKO or OHKO the entire metagame.
  • Brave Bird is the main STAB, hurts a lot.
  • Superpower for Rock and Steel types.
  • Return as a safer alternative to Brave Bird. Rock Slide hurt anything weak to it, plus gets a Sheer Force boost.
  • U-turn to scout. Shadow Claw primarily for Rotom.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

• Adamant for maximum attack ensuring OHKO's and 2HKO's. Jolly to outrun Gallade, Hitmonlee, Lilligant etc.
  • Stealth Rock removal via Rapid spin from Hitmonchan, Cryogonal, Claydol etc.
  • Wish support recommended if not running Rapid spin.
  • All moves are risky to abuse, predict with caution.
  • Only use Sheer Force if using Rock slide.

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Brave Bird
move 2: Superpower
move 3: Return/Retaliate
move 4: U-turn
item: Choice Scarf
ability:Keen Eye
nature: Jolly/Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

• Exchanges power for speed, turning into a revenge killer. Reaches 426 with Jolly.
  • Brave Bird still hurts.
  • Superpower again is good for Rock and Steel types.
  • Return for secondary reliable STAB without recoil or stat drops. Retaliate can potentially do more if one of your Pokemon fainted last turn, though is somewhat weak otherwise.
  • U-turn to scout.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

• Jolly to out run Modest Lilligent after a Quiver Dance, Adamant Medicham with Choice Scarf, Adament Choice scarf Hitmonlee etc. Adamant for more power.
  • Stealth rock removal highly recommended.
  • Spikes and Stealth rock on opponents team also recommended to score some KO's due to a drop in power.

[SET]
name: Bulk Up
move 1: Bulk Up
move 2: Return
move 3: Brave Bird/Superpower
move 4: Substitute
item: Leftovers
ability:Keen eye
nature: Careful
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 184 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

• Set designed to support Braviary's bulk and longevity.
  • Bulk up to raise its good attack and average defense.
  • Return is main STAB move, doing decent amount of damage after a bulk up.
  • Brave Bird for Ghost types, Superpower for Rock and Steel types. Both have negative side effects in their own way however.
  • Substitute to prevent status from ruining Braviary's set up.
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

• Can replace Substitute with Brave Bird or Superpower to prevent being walled to death. Though you expose yourself to status more.
  • More attacks or speed EV's depending if you want to KO or out speed a certain threat. Listed EV's is to benefit its bulk.
  • Wish support is recommended since Braviary lacks Roost.
  • If running Brave bird, use a Pokemon that can handle Rock and Steel types like Hitmonlee, Gallade, or Medicham. If running Superpower, use a Dark or Ghost type like Honchkrow, Krookodile, or Rotom.

[OTHER OPTIONS]

• Aerial Ace if recoil from Brave Bird is discouraging, though a very noticeable drop in power. Same with Pluck.
  • Hone Claws for an attack boost and perfect accuracy Rock Slides, though generally inferior to Bulk up. Same with Work up.
  • Trash is a normal type Outrage, stronger then a full powered Return but locks you into the move.
  • Whirlwind for phazing, though there are better users of the move.

[CHECKS AND COUNTERS]

• Difficult to switch into because of raw power from Brave Bird.
  • Stealth rocks hinders Braviary.
  • Hates getting status, especially burn and paralyze.
  • Rotom takes anything Braviary uses barring Shadow claw, can also burn or use Reflect to hinder Braviary further.
  • Rock and Steel types if locked into something other then Superpower.
  • Outspeeding it with natural speed or Choice scarf.

[DREAM WORLD]
  • Gets Defiant as its Dream World ability.
  • Useful for turning Intimidate and occasional stat drops into more raw power. Use on all sets once released.

TROP

BAN DRUDDIGON. FIREWALL DRAGON DID NOTHING WRONG
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Just saying,Braviary attack is 123 not 125.

Adamant for maximum attack ensuring OHKO's and 2HKO's. Jolly to outrun Gallade, Hitmonlee, Lilligant etc.
Braviary's Base Speed=80, Gallade=80, Hitmonlee=87, Liligant=90

For the Scarf set, Adamant should be the primary option, most Liligant run Timid either way. Also, Retaliate probably deserves a mention somewhere, as most of his switch-ins will involve revenge-killing anyway.

As for the Bulk Up set, Fighting/Flying is only resisted by Rotom and Rotom-S, so I would say that Superpower should get a slash with Return as opposed to Brave Bird.

Also, considering the switches he forces due to the commonplace of a Choiced Braviary, a Sub+3 Attacks set is more than viable. A set of Return/Brave Bird/Superpower hits everything save Rotom for quite a lot of damage, and the lack of dedicated physical walls works well in it's favor. It can also set 101 Hp subs if need be.

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
May I ask where you got those EVs listed in the Bulk Up set from? Just curious.

Brave Bird should be in the second slot and Return slashed behind Superpower. Because, wht does Return hit that Brave Bird doesn't? And Superpower hits Aggron and Steelix, as well as Rock-types. Choice Scarf is also better than Choice Band imo.

May I ask where you got those EVs listed in the Bulk Up set from? Just curious.
Honestly, they came from the old analyze for Braviary. I could of made up my own EV spread, but I am TERRIBLE when it comes to specific EV spreads. If you have a suggestion I'm all up for it.

Brave Bird should be in the second slot and Return slashed behind Superpower. Because, wht does Return hit that Brave Bird doesn't? And Superpower hits Aggron and Steelix, as well as Rock-types. Choice Scarf is also better than Choice Band imo.
I might consider it, but from my experience being redundant is a terrible idea, hence why Return is the main move over Brave Bird. I might change it if it doesn't work as planned. Remember: This is Braviary were talking about not Staraptor (aka no roost and slower), meaning recoil is worse then normal. Also from experience, Choice Band is better then Choice Scarf because it absolutely smashes stall in RU. Choice Scarf works, but being able to plow through the whole tier with so much raw power is better in my opinion.

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
And what do you mean by the old Braviary analysis? It's the UU one and it won't be replaced by this. Also, I think you should give credit for taking from that one, as I was the doing the UU one.

Put Return in the second slot if you want, I'm just trying to help.

One more thing, Shadow Claw serves no purpose when you have Brave Bird. Neutral Brave Bird > super effective Shadow Claw

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
tbh the Bulk Up set is stupid. I never once found a chance to use Bulk Up nor Substitute, and most of the time I just found myself tanking hits and then having to use Brave Bird or Return to defeat the opponent. But, the real main thing that that set is missing is Roost, which Braviary doesn't get for some retarded reason, making the tankish strategy of the set kind of counterproductive.

In short, drop the Bulk Up set

QC APPROVED (1/3)

Honko

he of many honks
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'd remove the Rock Slide slash (and Sheer Force with it) and put it in AC, since CB Brave Bird OHKOes just about everything that's weak to Rock Slide anyway.

I don't really like Retaliate getting a slash on Choice Scarf either. It's kind of like a situational Normal-type Overheat...pretty bad. If you keep it as a slash, definitely find and mention a few revenge KOes that Braviary needs to have Retaliate to achieve.

And yeah, get rid of Bulk Up.

QC APPROVED 3/3

Scarf Braviary is alongside Scarf Ape the best revenge killer in RU and is much more common than Band so put it as the first set.

Also, move Rock Slide and Retaliate to OO. Brave Bird hits most of the stuff Rock Slide does for super effective damage while Return / Frustration is much better than Retaliate because Braviary will often end up cleaning late-game and 70 BP is not good enough.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)