1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

"Break through"(Anti Weather/Weatherless Offense)

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by SaoWhit, Dec 31, 2012.

1. SaoWhit

SaoWhit

Hi everyone! This is my first RMT, and my first post here, lol. Please let me know what i can do to make it better, all opinions are welcome! Thank you!

About the team:
    It was made to counter weather teams and just be full of surprise. I don't like having weather wars all the time, so I created this team. Its an offensive rushing team that counters the most common threats.
    Everyone brings something to the table.

[​IMG]
    Victini (UnaBomber)
    Nature: Jolly
    Item: Choice Scarf
    Ability: Victory Star
    EV's: 252 HP/ 4 Atk/252 Spe
    V-Create
    Bolt
    Final Gambit
    U-turn

This victini, He can be used as a suicide lead or blowing up a steel type or even scouting. I usually aim for the weather inducer. If you can stop stealth rocks from being set up, your Final Gambit usually stays intact and you can unleash it anytime. Better yet, Final Gambit Chansey or Blissey for 404 hp then go into Mew and finish her with a Drain Punch.

[​IMG]
    Espeon (Nekoli)
    Nature: Modest
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Magic Bounce
    EV's: 116 HP/ 140 SpA /252 Spe
    Reflect
    Psychic
    Signal Beam
    Hidden Power Fighting

An offensive Espeon that works and he still has a bit of hp. I use him for setting up Reflect and doing good damage. He usually goes first, so thats always cool.

[​IMG]
    Mew (MewChan)
    Nature: Adamant
    Item: Expert Belt
    Ability: Synchronize
    EV's: 252 Atk /4 HP /252 Spe
    Fire Punch
    Ice Punch
    Drain Punch
    Earthquake

I took a different approach with Mew, it works out great, trust me. People don't expect it. This can really clean up late game, even if I don't get the shift gear passed. Drain Punch can be used as recovery. I switched out thunder punch since I have Jolteon, for a much stronger move, earthquake.
    Jolly on this mew is also an Idea, but to maximize your power, adamant works. Leftovers over Expert belt is an idea also.
    (I have videos of this mew in action)

[​IMG]
    Smeargle (Rawr)
    Nature: Jolly
    Item: Focus Sash
    Ability: Own Tempo
    EV's: 252 HP/ 4 Def/ 252 Spe
    Spore
    Shift Gears
    Baton Pass
    Thunderwave

Smeargle, is used to pass Shift Gear to either Mew(usually mew) or Scizor, depending on the situation. After sporing the opponent, they'll usually switch into something else, so I go for the thunder wave after. This still gives me time to Shift Gear and Pass because of Focus Sash.

[​IMG]
    Scizor (Sighzorz)
    Nature: Adamant
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Techician
    EV's: 236 HP / 56 Atk/ 24 Def /192 SpD
    Swords Dance
    Bug Bite
    Bullet Punch
    Roost

Scizor is an anytime sweep, I've been running this set for awhile, doesnt really ever let me down. This EV spread works wonders. He's become a staple on my OU teams.
    (I have so many videos of this Scizor sweeping, lol)

[​IMG]
    Jolteon (Savior)
    Nature: Timid
    Item: LifeOrb
    Ability: Volt Absorb
    EV's: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Thunderbolt
    Volt Switch
    Signal Beam
    Hidden Power Ice

He's Been my favorite pokemon for awhile. This set is good for scouting with Volt switch, taking out dragons,flying,psychic,ground,grass,water,dark. Great coverage and speed.

More in-depth: You can start off with either Jolteon, Victini(Volt switch or U-turn to scout and go into Espeon to bounce back whatever or use Victini to take out a pokemon from the start, usually a weather producer, or save for later.) Smeargle and Espeon can start off also. Smeargle is used to put the opponent asleep and pass Shift Gears off to either Scizor or Mew. Scizor can be switched in after a pokemon dies and setup sword dances usually against latias/ Latios or Steel pokes. He can take damage with his amazing bulk and roost up. Its smooth sailing from there.Espeon can use reflect for support, do major damage on psychic/dark types with signal beam, and Heatran with Hidden Power Fighting, or better yet, leave that to Mew. And of course stop the opponent from using hazards. Jolteon is used for scouting and also for water/dragon/flying/psychic and Dark type support.
    Mew is for elemental/ground support.. He'll cause more trouble if Smeargle gets Shift Gears off.

Weakness: to dark you say, I can play around dark types. But I can see Sableye, Spiritomb and Cofagrius being problems, as they can also burn scizor.. and take hits.

Overall, I think my team coverage is great, it works. Im sure im forgetting a few things so all criticism is welcome. Thank you and have a happy new year!!​
  2. Kidogo

Kidogo

Hi SaoWhit, and welcome to smogon!

First, I have some notes on your formatting. These are not related to your team, but will make it easier to read and thus should help you get more rates :)
    Put spaces between words in set names i. e. Espeon(Nekoli)
    Put some kind of summary of your team and its purpose at the beginning: how did you construct it, what is your goal, is it offensive or defensive, etc.
    After each poke in the explanation, make sure you explain the purpose of the set and the Poke's role in the team. (And you don't have to write "note:" haha.)

Okay, now some notes about the team.
    Notes about individual pokes:
    Victini's set should say "bolt strike" (now it just says "bolt")
    An adamant nature is worth considering for the extra power, but jolly is a good option too. I would suggest removing final gambit for Brick Break or Zen Headbutt--these will do way more than final gambit to pokes like blissey and chansey, and gives you good coverage. Change the EVs to 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe then.

If you're using espeon to set up screens, you'll want your item to be Light Clay. Dual screens is a good idea as well, so your sweepers will have an easier time setting up. Signal Beam is definitely unnecessary, so a good moveset might be: Reflect / Light Screen / Psychic / Hidden Power [Fighting]. This last moveslot could also be used for HP [fire], which hits scizor, or Baton Pass, which allows espeon to escape from pursuit. A better EV spread is 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe.

Mew is an interesting choice for an offensive mon, but if it works for you then I am all for it. I might suggest actually having a boosting move on there; a set of Swords Dance / Zen Headbutt / Drain Punch / Sucker Punch would work well. Alternatively, you could try a special sweeper set; Nasty Plot / Psyshock / Aura Sphere / Shadow Ball or Flamethrower would be the ideal set. The item for both of these really should be Leftovers, since Mew needs the passive healing. If you like it, you're free to stick with your Ebelt set though. Also, I would definitely suggest a Jolly nature given the plethora of pokes you can outspeed with it.

Smeargle looks good overall, just some small moveset changes. Shift Gear should be changed to Shell Smash, which boosts both your offenses and your speed by 2 stages. This will be particularly important if you switch mew to a special sweeping set, since you'll need to pass Atk and SpA. I would also suggest having Substitute instead of Thunder Wave--this allows you to set up on foes trying to use status, and if you can BP a substitute and a boost to a sweeper, that will pretty much be GG.

I would suggest a more offensive scizor build. 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe and Life Orb for your item will give you a ton of power and speed, and 29 IVs in HP will round down LO damage. Also, put Superpower > Roost for more coverage, which will allow you to sweep much more readily. if you find yourself missing the bulk, your current scizor set is fine, I just think a more offensive build would work better with the team. It will also have a much easier time sweeping if passed a boost.

Jolteon looks good, you're missing 4 EVs, just put them in HP. Other than that, set looks fine.

Okay, some more general notes:
    You don't really have a revenge-killer (victini isn't quite fast enough, and will often be sacced early game). One good way to fix this would be to use scarf Thundurus-T instead of volteon--it can run an essentially identical set with as much power due to its higher SpA and much more speed with the scarf. This set will allow you to revenge +1 dragons and even to sweep unhindered if you pass a boost to it. A good set would be: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe with Volt Switch / Thunderbolt / Hidden Power [Ice] / Focus Blast.

It would be great to fit Stealth Rock somewhere on this team, as it'll greatly ease sweeping. Unfortunately, none of your current members can learn it (barring smeargle and mew, who don't have the free moveslot). Perhaps SR could go in place of Twave on smeargle, but the other solution is to switch one poke out for something that can use SR, which I'll get to below.

A last note is that your team is a little strange synergy-wise with 3 psychics, which will make you pretty weak to dark and ghost types. If you want to replace a mon for something that can use SR, I'd suggest one of the psychics--victini probably. I also notice you have no water resist, so a water resist would be nice as well. I'm not thinking of any good pokes atm, celebi could work but it is still psychic, could be fine though if you're good playing around the weaknesses. If that sounds interesting I can give you a set, the standard one onsite should be good though.

Anyway, I hope my rate helps and GL with the team!
  3. Homeslice

Homeslice

First thought that came to my mind was Ferrothorn- it gives you a water resist while giving you potential to use hazards. While I'm not extremely familiar with him, I can provide a very basic set that should work well-
    Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
    Trait: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 Sp Def
    IVs: 0 Spe
    Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spe)
    -Spikes/Stealth Rock
    -Leech Seed
    -Gyro Ball
    -Power Whip/Protect/Thunder Wave

Minimal speed provides a much stronger Gyro Ball, Spikes are the staple of Ferrothorn however SR provides quicker set-up, Leech Seed allows for extra health resoration, and the last slot is mostly filler. Power Whip allows for more coverage, Protect can be used to stall out Leech Seed on the opponent, and Thunder Wave can spread status. I wouldn't recommend Thunder Wave however, as it closes the gap between Ferrothorn and the opponent's speed, making gyro ball much weaker.
  4. SaoWhit

SaoWhit

Thanks, I'll get to fixing it up right away. Good Suggestions, and you're right, I don't have anything that resist water, I'll work on that, maybe fit Gastrodon in somewhere. Victini isn't for exactly for Chansey, he's usually a suicide lead, for me anyway. As for Mew, those are good suggestions, but I wanted an unpredictable set though. Adding a boosting move is a good idea! I have a Smeargle with Shell Smash, but it never seemed to work out when switching in Mew. I would always get KO'd on the switch by something because of the drop in defenses.
    And yes, Ferrothorn seems like an awesome choice.
    Thx for replying, i'll take all of it in consideration.
  5. Alexander.

Alexander.
    is a Team Rater Alumnus

Hello there, I got your VM.

I have some advice to give you so let's start with the rate!

At first, as already said Kidogo, Victini should have Bolt Strike and it shoudn't have only Bolt. Then, I suggest you to change Espeon's EV spread into 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe and I'd use Reflect / Light Screen / Psychic and Hidden Power Fire, replacing your current move, I think that Signal Beam is quite an useless move. I'd change Leftovers into Light Clay to support the screens. Third, I agree with Kidogo's suggestion about Smeargle. I'd use Shell Smash and Substitute, replacing Shift Gears and Thunder Wave. After a Shell Smash, Mew can destroy any team, so it's fine I think. Anyway, your team has a big weakness to rain team because you haven't one water resistor. Therefore, I suggest you to use Gyarados, replacing Scizor. Gyarados can take advantage of Shell Smash too and it can check the rain teams.

Hope this helped, good luck and Happy New Year!

Here's Gyarados' set:

Show Hide

[​IMG]
    Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Moxie
    EVs: 56 HP / 248 Atk / 204 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Dragon Dance
    - Waterfall
    - Substitute
    - Bounce
  6. BKC

BKC Outstanding ideas,
    is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis Smogon Frontier's Castle Valetis a Past WCoP Winneris the Smogon Tour Season 16 Champion

Hi, as Kidogo mentioned, you need to expand the descriptions for each of your pkmn. You've started already, so I'll give you a day or two to write them up [about 5 or so sentences per mon should be enough -- if you've taken the time to play with the team, you can take the time to write about it]. Otherwise I'll have to lock this thread.

Welcome to Smogon :)

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)