Breaking the Mold: Volt-Turn meets its worst nightmare

Introduction:
Hello everybody and welcome the second warstory I’ve actually finished writing! Yeah, I’ve actually started writing up something like a half dozen warstories since my first one and then decided that the battles weren’t good enough and stopped. However, I’ve finally had a battle that meets my stringent quality standards and I got the opportunity to work with the person I was battling with this time as well, so I had extra incentive to go through with this one. I hope you enjoy it!

Oh, and if you want to watch the replay, it’s here

Notes on the Format: There’s a lot of switching in this battle, so at the end of each turn I detail all the switches and the health of every Pokemon that appeared during that turn, using arrows to show the progression of the switches. The health percentages shown are the health the Pokemon had at the end of the turn. The in-battle banter is moved from its original position in the log to where it makes the most sense. I’ve also bolded the banter, for ease of reading. My commentary and banter will be in blue and Uncharted’s commentary and banter will be in green. Unimportant or repetitive parts of the log, such as sandstorm damage and leftovers recovery, will be put at the minimum font size to avoid clutter. All images, as usual, are taken from Bulbapedia.

The Setting:
I was playing with a team I had posted on this RMT thread, which was designed to counter the dominant Volt-Turn strategy plaguing the metagame today. Uncharted, better known as Ripamon, had been reading my thread and noticed I was on. He ended up spectating at a spectacularly haxy game I was having, during which he asked me to challenge him afterwards so we could test my team. We didn’t expect the battle to turn out to be nearly as epic as it was, but damn did it ever turn out great! He was actually the one who suggested I turn the battle into a warstory and he offered to input commentary for it, so you have him to thank for getting me to put this together.

The Rules:
Tier: Standard OU
Mode: Singles
Rule: Unrated
Rule: Sleep Clause
Rule: Freeze Clause
Rule: Species Clause
Rule: Wifi Battle

The Teams:

Jimera0[test]: volt turn, figured
Uncharted: Im using a standard team
Uncharted: so that we can test your strategy
Uncharted: Im a pretty bad battler btw
Uncharted: lol

Jimera0[test]: well it'd work better if you didn't know tangrowth's tricks

Uncharted: lets pretend i dont
Uncharted: ;)
Jimera0[test]: ok make sure to sack your scizor then :P
Uncharted: ok
Uncharted: i know tangrowth outspeeds

My team is largely defensive, intended to wear down opposing teams gradually with small hits and SR damage before going in for the kill with Conkeldurr, or failing that, any of my other team members. It’s proven effective so far and has a number of tricks which allow it break down Volt-Turn teams, despite it looking weak to them at first glance. In the name of testing, Uncharted has compiled an extremely standard, but very effective volt-turn sandstorm team. I note the presence of Scizor and Tyranitar right off the bat, since they mean I have to take care to not get Latias pursuited to death. Since his team is as standard as a team can be, I decide to lead the way I usually do and go with Jirachi in order to lay down Stealth Rock as soon as possible.

Looking at the team preview, I could see that Jirachi was placed in the lead position. A lot of skilled players will put a false lead to distract the opponent and lure him into a bad start. Personally, my Scizor is always in the lead position because it lures out Steels that Landorus can threathen and also plants the seed of doubt in my abilities in my opponents mind, getting them to let their guard down. Not wanting to get caught out, I decide to lead with Landorus. If he leads with Jirachi, great. If he dosen’t, well, I outspeed all his Pokemon anyway.

BATTLE BEGIN!

Jimera0[test] sent out Jirachi!
Uncharted sent out Grim Reaper! (Landorus)

100% VS.
100%

Well that turned out poorly for me. Of all the Pokemon on his team, Landorus is certainly the worst one for Jirachi to be facing off against. It doesn’t look like I have much choice other than to switch to something else unless I want to lose Jirachi before I even get started. I have a couple options on who to switch to, but I like the idea of Gyarados best. Immune to the likely Earthquake and able to Intimidate Landorus, even Stone Edge would be shrugged off and then I could retaliate with Waterfall. Seems foolproof to me!

Start of turn 1
Jimera0[test] called Jirachi back!
Jimera0[test] sent out Gyarados!
Gyarados intimidates Uncharted's Grim Reaper!
Uncharted's Grim Reaper's Attack fell!

Uncharted's Grim Reaper used U-turn!
It's not very effective...
Gyarados lost 23 HP! (5% of its health)

Uncharted called Grim Reaper back!
Uncharted sent out GetInMaHole! (Rotom-W)

Gyarados restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

100% -->
100% VS.
100% -->
100%

*Facepalm* of course it was going to U-turn, what the hell was I thinking? He’s using a volt-turn team, and they ALWAYS volt-turn on the first turn. I could’ve gotten my rocks up almost for free. Instead, Gyarados is facing down certain death and I certainly can’t afford that this early in the match. I have no choice but to switch. Well, I might as well go back to Jirachi. It’ll be able to take the incoming Volt-Switch without any difficulty, and then I can figure out where to go from there. I managed to put myself in a bad position early on here... Also... GetInMaHole? Real mature Uncharted :P.

Its standard to use U-turn or Volt-Switch on the first turn, so I decided to go with that. It wouldn’t really put me in a bad position if he stayed in anyway, as Jirachi is not a problem for my team.

Start of turn 2
Jimera0[test] called Gyarados back!

Uncharted's GetInMaHole used Trick!
Uncharted's GetInMaHole switched items with Jirachi!
Uncharted's GetInMaHole obtained one Leftovers!
Jirachi obtained one Choice Scarf!
Uncharted: ok
Jimera0[test]: well that was annoying
Uncharted: no wishes

100% -->
100% (scarfed) VS.
100%

Well I was NOT expecting that. I guess it makes sense since he knows my team well, and therefore knows that nothing on it likes holding a Choice Scarf... no matter what I did there, something was getting screwed. Jirachi is particularly bad though, since now using its Wish will be much more difficult, and my team will have to go without her healing. Well I have the damn thing out now and I need those rocks up for this battle ASAP so I’m going to go ahead and lock myself into Stealth Rock. I’m sure I’ll just have to switch next turn anyway...

Im not particularly pleased with this development, but it works. I was really hoping to catch out Tangrowth with the Trick, because it’s a major obstacle to my team. No matter, I’ll figure out some other way to take it down.

Start of turn 3
Jirachi used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around Uncharted's team!
Uncharted's GetInMaHole used Volt Switch!
A critical hit!
Jirachi lost 166 HP! (41% of its health)
Uncharted: nice

Uncharted called GetInMaHole back!
Uncharted sent out Juggernaut! (Tyranitar)
Pointed stones dug into Uncharted's Juggernaut!

Uncharted's Juggernaut's Sand Stream whipped up a sandstorm!
The sandstorm rages!
Uncharted's Juggernaut restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

59% (scarfed) VS.
100% -->
93%

Ouch, that crit didn’t help much either. Tyranitar eh? I was expecting Landorus... I wonder what he’s up to. Well, either way I need to switch now and there’s one Pokemon on my team that can obliterate any Tyranitar. Out you come Conkeldurr!

Taking another look at his team, I know I need to get rocks up. Gyarados is apparently the core member of his team, and switching constantly into Waterfalls is not a scenario my scared-of-baths Pokemon would savour.

Start of turn 4
Jimera0[test] called Jirachi back!
Jimera0[test] sent out Conkeldurr!

Uncharted's Juggernaut used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around Jimera0[test]'s team!

The sandstorm rages!
Conkeldurr is buffeted by the sandstorm!
Conkeldurr restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Uncharted: Celebi KO's with psychic?

59% (scarfed) -->
100% VS.
100%

Rocks. Well that makes sense. Free turn so you might as well right? Those will be a thorn in my side until I get a chance to remove them with Tentacruel. But since I have Conk out I might as well put a massive dent into whatever he switches into... or should I set up with Bulk Up? He has Celebi, and if that comes out with Psychic my setting up might well be for nothing, but at the same time Celebi will get obliterated by Payback if I use Bulk Up now. Well I don’t have that much to lose by Bulking Up so I might as well try my luck.

Conkeldurr! I hate this Pokemon when it’s on the opposing team. I don’t have anything to OHKO it, and Rotom-W dosen’t like taking a boosted Drain Punch. I’ve already tricked my scarf onto Jirachi so that wouldn’t work either. What to do?

Start of turn 5
Uncharted called Juggernaut back!
Uncharted sent out PENIS!! (Celebi)
Pointed stones dug into Uncharted's PENIS!!

Conkeldurr used Bulk Up!
Conkeldurr's Attack rose!
Conkeldurr's Defense rose!

The sandstorm rages!
Uncharted's PENIS! is buffeted by the sandstorm!
Uncharted's PENIS! restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Jimera0[test]: didn't know for sure it it had it or not
Jimera0[test]: a lot don't carry it
Jimera0[test]: now I do know though :P

Uncharted: lets test

100% VS.
100% -->
87%

Ah crap his Celebi has Psychic, judging by his previous comments and the fact he switched it into Conk. Conk can’t take a Psychic from this damn pixie and I need to save him for Tyranitar, so I had better switch him out. I shouldn’t’ve wasted a turn like that... Well can’t take it back now. Latias can take anything Celebi can throw at it, so out she comes.

To avoid getting 6-0ed by this poke-mountain, I resort to pulling off a dirty trick; bluffing Psychic. It’s not the high road, I know, but it would definitely make him think twice about staying in, especially as he knows my team doesn’t like Conkeldurr.

Start of turn 6
Jimera0[test] called Conkeldurr back!
Jimera0[test] sent out Latias!
Pointed stones dug into Latias!

Uncharted's PENIS! used Giga Drain!
Latias lost 48 HP! (13% of its health)
Latias had its energy drained!

The sandstorm rages!
Latias is buffeted by the sandstorm!
Latias restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Uncharted: i thought youd run
Jimera0[test]: yeah
Jimera0[test]: I wasn't going to risk conk with tyranitar still around though

Uncharted: i guess

100% -->
74% VS.
94%

Well he predicted that I’d switch but he ended up doing little with that prediction anyway. Now normally I’d keep Latias in against Celebi since I can easily beat it with Calm Mind, but he has both Scizor and Tyranitar in the wings, one of which is bound to have Pursuit. It’d be suicide to keep Latias in, so I had better switch her out immediately. Let’s see, Gyarados can handle both Scizor and Tyranitar after an Intimidate, so I’ll send him in again.

I go for the Giga Drain to take out as much HP as I can from Conkeldurr, since he most likely won’t use drain punch on Celebi. My plan was to suck out as much HP as possible, hopefully live the Payback, and switch into Terrakion to take the second one and raise his attack. A Mach Punch wouldn’t be enough to KO Terrakion, and I would easily be in a sweeping position by then. Looking back, I shouldn’t have bluffed Psychic, but hindsight, as they say, is 20/20.

Start of turn 7
Jimera0[test] called Latias back!
Pointed stones dug into Gyarados!
Gyarados intimidates Uncharted's PENIS!!
Uncharted's PENIS!'s Attack fell!

Uncharted called PENIS! back!
Uncharted sent out ButterFinger! (Scizor)
Pointed stones dug into Uncharted's ButterFinger!

The sandstorm rages!
Gyarados is buffeted by the sandstorm!

Jimera0[test]: predictable switch was predictable
Uncharted: yup

74% -->
75% VS.
87%

Ah, now this is a much more favourable situation for Gyarados than the last one he was in! Scizor can’t scratch him. Now it’s pretty obvious again who’s going to be coming in, what with Gyarados’ glaring 4x weakness to electricity, but I’m going to do the seemingly insane and stay in. You’ll see why in a moment...

Well, my lightning start has all but evaporated here, and I can’t really blame it on a misplay. The tide of the battle is turning here, and my strongest Pokemon just can’t switch into Gyarados safely. I decide to switch in Rotom-W to frighten it out once more, and get some SR damage when it switches back in.

Start of turn 8
Uncharted called ButterFinger back!
Pointed stones dug into Uncharted's GetInMaHole!

Gyarados used Dragon Tail!
Uncharted's GetInMaHole lost 20% of its health!

Pointed stones dug into Uncharted's Grim Reaper!
Uncharted's Grim Reaper was dragged out!

The sandstorm rages!

Uncharted: but the switches are taking their toll
Jimera0[test]: not as much as you'd think lol
Uncharted: die

75% VS.
87% -->
67% -->
87%

And boom! That’s what yah get for being predictable! This is one of the key ways I screw with Volt-Turn. Gyarados is great at luring in Volt-Switch users then smacking them right back out for significant damage. Never fails! Well his Landorus is up next, and while Stone Edge would hurt a lot I’m sure that my defensively ev’d and natured Gyarados can take it. Besides I’m thinking he’s liable to switch right back to Rotom-W expecting a Waterfall. So, guess what my plan is?

Hmmm. Not good for me. Come to think of it, I’d probably do exactly the same thing if I was Jimera. Smart move! Not only does it do damage and force a switch, but it also means Rotom-W can’t switch in with impunity. Good choice.

Start of turn 9
Uncharted's Grim Reaper used U-turn!
Gyarados lost 34 HP! (8% of its health)

The attack of Gyarados missed!

The sandstorm rages!
Uncharted's GetInMaHole is buffeted by the sandstorm!
Uncharted's GetInMaHole restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Jimera0[test]: figured it (Said before noticing miss)
Uncharted: yahoo
Jimera0[test]: fucking miss

67% VS.
87% -->
53%

Did I say “never fails”? Yeah.... so much for that. Now I’m back in the same position I was at the start of turn 2. So the only question now is, “who do I switch to?”. Well I think it’s time for the star of my team to take the stage... she was picked for this exact purpose after all!

Smart move, but I luckily manage to bring Rotom-W right back in. I’m annoyed about the residual damage Rotom-W is taking, but it dies every battle anyway and nothing can really be done about that.

Start of turn 10
Jimera0[test] sent out Tangrowth!
Pointed stones dug into Tangrowth!

Tangrowth lost 107 HP! (26% of its health)

Uncharted: I swear
Uncharted: i would really have brought scizor in atm

Jimera0[test]: that's the idea

The sandstorm rages!
Tangrowth is buffeted by the sandstorm!
Tangrowth restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Current Score: 6-6: Tied
Jimera0’s Team: Gyarados 67% / Tangrowth 61% / Latias 74% / Conkeldurr 100% / Jirachi 59% (scarfed) / Tentacruel 100%
Uncharted’s Team: Rotom-W 53% / Celebi 80% / Landorus 87% / Scizor 87% / Tyranitar 100% / Terrakion 100%

67% -->
61% VS.
53% -->
80%

And here, his prior knowledge of my team comes into play... You know all the banter at the start at how he should sack his Scizor if he wanted to emulate a normal ladder match? Well that’s because my Tangrowth is specifically EV’d to outspeed and smash Scizor with HP Fire. She literally draws the bug to her flame. It can take U-Turns just fine too, thanks to her titanic defence. Unfortunately, he knows better, and so he sent out Celebi which is a little more difficult for Tangrowth to deal with. HP Fire won’t be doing much to this defensive pixie, and I’m sure he has a super effective Hidden Power of his own. I had better switch out again. Maybe Jirachi can paralyze something if I send it in now. Not like it’s good for much else with that scarf on it. Switching is good for Tangrowth anyway, since Regenerator will give her most of her health back. And no, I’m not going to remark on that nickname. Even I’m above that one.

I let a rueful smile creep onto my face as I hover my touchpad over Scizor, and then move it over to Celebi instead. Normally, it would be a free U-turn and massive damage to Tangrowth, but I know better...

Start of turn 11
Jimera0[test] called Tangrowth back!
Pointed stones dug into Jirachi!

Uncharted's PENIS! used U-turn!
Jirachi lost 47 HP! (11% of its health)

The sandstorm rages!

94% -->
40% (scarfed) VS.
80% -->
74%

*Sigh*. Yeah, I should’ve seen that coming too. But hey, I couldn’t afford to lose Tangrowth at this point. Well Jirachi is a sitting duck for Landorus, unless he decides to continue the volt-turning chain... Well I guess I’ll give Body Slam a shot. If it does use U-turn then I could paralyze the switch in, and if he kills Jirachi with Earthquake... well at this point it isn’t much of a loss and I’ll get the momentum back at least.

I feel that he’ll stay in, as Jirachi is useless at the moment, so I decide to EQ. If Gyara comes in, I’m fucked. If it doesn’t, I get one kill. I think I’m safe though, as after a lot of volt-turning the enemy begins to believe that’s all you can do...

Start of turn 12
Uncharted's Grim Reaper used Earthquake!
It's super effective!
Jirachi lost 166 HP! (41% of its health)
Jirachi fainted!

The sandstorm rages!
Uncharted: gotcha

Pointed stones dug into Tangrowth!

0% (fainted) -->
81% VS.
74%

Well, can’t say I didn’t see it coming. The good news is that I get Tangrowth in for free so now I can cripple something with her! Landorus is scarfed, I’m sure, so he’s going to have to switch. Knock Off is usually my move of choice in these circumstances, since nothing likes losing their item. Besides, if he goes back to Celebi (which is quite likely) Natural Cure will allow him to just shrug off Stun Spore. Now, let’s see who’s item I take off...

I decide to switch out to Celebi as there’s really no alternative here.

Start of turn 13

Tangrowth used Knock Off!
It's super effective!
Uncharted's PENIS! lost 8% of its health!
Tangrowth knocked off Uncharted's PENIS!'s Leftovers!

The sandstorm rages!

81% VS.
74% -->
54%

No more Leftovers for you! It took quite a bit of damage that turn actually, between rocks, sandstorm and Knock Off. Still, it probably has some healing move so I’m not counting on that damage staying. Last time he switched out of Tangrowth, so I wonder if he actually has anything that can hit it? He might just U-Turn again too. Hmmm well, at this health, nothing short of a crit could take Tangrowth out so I think I’ll give Stun Spore a shot, see if I can’t nail a switch-in.

This is the best possible scenario. I’m not liking Celebi’s (lack) of usefulness here though. I make a mental note to change up its moveset to make it more deadly in the future. In any case, time to damage this mess of vines. It can’t really do anything in return, and I’m not locked into a move this time if it backfires, so…

Start of turn 14
Uncharted's PENIS! used Hidden Power!
It's super effective!
Tangrowth lost 254 HP! (62% of its health)
Tangrowth used Stun Spore!
Uncharted's PENIS! is paralyzed! It may be unable to move!

The sandstorm rages!

Jimera0[test]: was afraid of that

19% VS.
48% (Paralyzed)

Well that didn’t turn out so well. Not as bad as it looks though, since I can just switch out Tangrowth to heal her. Then again, he can do the same to get rid of paralysis. In fact, I think I had better do just that unless I want to lose her, and I do NOT want to lose her. I’m starting to worry about those rocks that have been on my side of the field... my team is actually getting worn down some, and I can’t let that keep up. Celebi can’t really do anything to Tentacruel without a boost, so now is a good time to spin them away I think. It’s not like he’s likely to use Earth Power on Tangrowth.

Okay, now I’m in a better situation. I know just how useful Tangrowth still is to him, so I decided to go for U-turn to gain the momentum. I just hope parahax doesn’t rear its ugly head

Start of turn 15
Jimera0[test] sent out Tentacruel!
Pointed stones dug into Tentacruel!

Uncharted's PENIS! used U-turn!
Tentacruel lost 22 HP! (6% of its health)

The sandstorm rages!
Uncharted's GetInMaHole is buffeted by the sandstorm!
Tentacruel is buffeted by the sandstorm!
Uncharted's GetInMaHole restored a little HP using its Leftovers!
Tentacruel restored a little HP using its Black Sludge!

52% -->
81% VS.
48% -->
41%

Heh heh, that Rotom-W has seen better days. All the switching it has been doing is starting to take its toll on it. I don’t care that it can hit Tentacruel super-effectively, I’m getting rid of those rocks. I don’t think Volt-Switch can KO it anyway. Time to secure myself some hazard control!

It works, but Rotom-W is in bad shape. I could have gone for Landorus, but its scarfed and I know he has Protect to scout out my moves. I go for Rotom so I can scout out its EVs using the damage output of Volt-Turn, which will in turn determine my next switch in.

Start of turn 16
It's super effective!
Tentacruel lost 204 HP! (56% of its health)

Uncharted: y u no like rocks
Jimera0[test]: lol

Uncharted sent out Taijutsu! (Terrakion)
Pointed stones dug into Uncharted's Taijutsu!

Tentacruel used Rapid Spin!
Uncharted's Taijutsu lost 1% of its health!
Tentacruel blew away Stealth Rock!

The sandstorm rages!

Jimera0[test]: notice you're getting worn down yourself
Uncharted: lol ik
Uncharted: please no miss

25% VS.
41% -->
92%

Mission accomplished! Judging by his comment on missing I’m guessing he’s using Stone Edge. Just to be sure though, I’m going to scout him out with Protect. It’s probably choiced, so if I can learn what it’s using now I can get a free switch next turn.

I decide to go with Stone edge despite the miss chance. I’m not sure if I can KO Tentacruel with Close Combat, and lowered defences would leave me in KO range for Scald. I can’t afford to lose Terrakion now, and I can’t risk using Earthquake because of Latias and Gyarados.

Start of turn 17
Tentacruel used Protect!
Tentacruel protected itself!
Uncharted's Taijutsu used Stone Edge!
Tentacruel protected itself!

The sandstorm rages!

25% VS.
92%

Guess he wasn’t psyching me out. I might need to spin rocks again later so I had better switch now while I have the chance... though at this amount of health, I’m not sure Tentacruel can manage it. Well there’s no point in sacking it when I have a free turn now. Conkeldurr can easily take a Stone Edge and then he’ll be able to set up and get to work. I’m starting to think his Celebi doesn’t have Psychic after all, so if I can get Conkeldurr set up I’ll be in for a clean sweep.

I Stone Edge blindly again. At this point there are too many possible outcomes to consider to do anything else. So I play it safe, hoping for a hit and crit.

Start of turn 18
Jimera0[test] called Tentacruel back!

The attack of Uncharted's Taijutsu missed!

The sandstorm rages!

Uncharted: bs

25% -->
100% VS.
92%

Pffffft like that miss matters anyway. Conk would’ve eaten those rocks for a mid-game snack had you managed to connect with them. I got him where I want him now, so I just need to decide what the best course of action is going to be. I don’t really want to risk using Payback for Celebi on the off chance he doesn’t switch, since Justified would turn the tables on Conk. I’m not sure Mach Punch would KO, and it’d do pathetic damage to his resists if he chooses to switch to them. I don’t want to waste another turn using Bulk Up and having to switch either. Drain Punch seems my best move, so I’ll go with that.

Well, Stone Edge wouldn’t have done much anyway. Really, the miss actually helped me. It meant that I kept my item hidden. I run Life Orb on my Terrakion, exactly for situations such as these. There’s nothing more satisfying than seeing that smug Chandelure switch into a Close Combat, then get killed by Stone Edge as it tries to set up a sub. But Conkeldurr is the worst possible scenario for Terrakion, so I have to switch out.

Start of turn 19
Uncharted called Taijutsu back!

Conkeldurr used Drain Punch!
Uncharted's GetInMaHole lost 29% of its health!
Uncharted's GetInMaHole fainted!
Uncharted's GetInMaHole had its energy drained!

The sandstorm rages!

Uncharted: shit
Jimera0[test]: that's how I usually get rotom-W, simply wearing down tactics

100% VS.
92% -->
0% (fainted) -->
62%

Well, wearing down tactics and giant fists to the face. They both work. Anyway, Landorus is out and I’m ready to get Conkeldurr going. Let’s Bulk up and tear this team apart!

I was hoping for a Bulk Up, but I was mistaken. Now Gyarados loses a counter and I’m one core team member down. I know Sand Force Landorus can 2HKO with Earthquake, so I do just that.

Start of turn 20
Conkeldurr lost 220 HP! (57% of its health)
Conkeldurr used Bulk Up!
Conkeldurr's Attack rose!
Conkeldurr's Defense rose!

The sandstorm rages!

Jimera0[test]: that hit harder than expected
Uncharted: sand
Jimera0[test]: yeah still didn't expect that much

Current Score: 5-5: Tied
Jimera0’s Team: Gyarados 67% / Tangrowth 52% / Latias 74% / Conkeldurr 43% / Jirachi 0% (fainted) / Tentacruel 25%
Uncharted’s Team: Rotom-W 0% (Fainted) / Celebi 48% / Landorus 62% / Scizor 87% / Tyranitar 100% / Terrakion 92%

43% VS.
62%

Aaaaand so much for that plan. Landorus has more power than I anticipated and now Conk is on the ropes. As much as I’m loathe to lose my boosts again, I know better than to have him stay in and get killed. Gyarados is much better suited to this situation, especially since his Landorus choice locked into an ineffective move and Rotom-W is gone. Time for him to rack up a little bit more damage.

That went as planned. Now I wonder what to do next... He knows I’m locked into Earthquake, and he has a levitator and a flyer. However, he also has a +1 Conkeldurr on the field, and that’s the immediate threat. It’s too dangerous to risk keeping alive, and if I have to sacrifice Landorus to kill it, then I will.

Start of turn 21
Jimera0[test] called Conkeldurr back!

It had no effect!

The sandstorm rages!

43% -->
66% VS.
62%

There we go, so now what are you going to do? He really doesn’t have a lot of options left for dealing with Gyarados, and all of them are weak to water, so I think my choice is clear. Let’s see how much you like taking a Waterfall to the face!

Derp. He goes for the safe option and switches out, and I rue my misplay heavily. With Rotom-W gone, it’s safe for Gyarados to go wild. However, I keep calm. The best thing I can do now is to paralyze it with Thunder Wave and then force it to Rest, incapacitating it.

Start of turn 22

Gyarados used Waterfall!
It's super effective!
Uncharted's Juggernaut lost 45% of its health!

The sandstorm rages!

Uncharted: im going to lose

66% VS.
62% -->
48%

It’s super effective! Well I don’t dare keep Gyarados in, since I’m not sure he’ll survive a Stone Edge at this health. Not to mention the possibility of Thunderpunch... that’s nailed me a few times before. Sure I could flinch it with Waterfall if I get lucky, but Gyarados’ typing and ability are far too useful to risk losing now. Conkeldurr is a much surer bet, and hey, he could gain a bunch of health back with Drain Punch here and go on to sweep. Uncharted is right to feel threatened here. Even though my team is at lower health I have all the match-up advantages.

Well, that hurt, but I don’t really care at this point. Tyranitar is only useful for two things on my team: taking hits, nailing scizor on the switch, paralyzing foes and setting up rocks. Well, that’s more than two functions, isn’t it? I guess it has more value than I gave it credit for. In any case, I go for Thunder Wave as I had planned before.

Start of turn 23

Uncharted's Juggernaut used Thunder Wave!
Conkeldurr is paralyzed! It may be unable to move!

The sandstorm rages!

Jimera0[test]: gut's boost ftw

66% -->
42% (paralyzed) VS.
55%

It’s a gift from the heavens! Well, if the heavens looked like an obese T-rex. I wasn’t expecting that but I sure am glad it happened. Now Conkeldurr doesn’t even need a Bulk Up to sweep. I had better get back some of my health with Drain Punch though, or this sweep will be cut short as soon as I get to Landorus.

Derp. I really thought he’d stay in, but I should have had a better idea of his conservative play style by now. My only option now is to deal as much damage as possible while hoping for parahax.

Start of turn 24
Uncharted's Juggernaut used Fire Blast!
Conkeldurr lost 105 HP! (27% of its health)
Conkeldurr is paralyzed! It can't move!

The sandstorm rages!

Uncharted: heh
Jimera0[test]: bullshit
Jimera0[test]: hax
Jimera0[test]: D:

15% (paralyzed) VS.
61%

.... Oh cmon, that’s just unfair! Why’d it have to be THIS turn that that happened? So much for a sweep; Conkeldurr is pretty much toast now. I have to use Mach Punch now or Tyranitar will just pick me off. At least I’ll be rid of that annoying stony dinosaur after this.

Yuss, that’s good enough! It’s the reason Gamefreak regrets giving Thunder Wave 100% accuracy; it’s ultra-reliable.

Start of turn 25
Conkeldurr is paralyzed! It can't move!
Uncharted's Juggernaut used Fire Blast!
Conkeldurr lost 56 HP! (14% of its health)
Conkeldurr fainted!

The sandstorm rages!

Uncharted: booyah
Jimera0[test]: oh cmon
Jimera0[test]: that was bullshit

Gyarados intimidates Uncharted's Juggernaut!
Uncharted's Juggernaut's Attack fell!

0% (fainted) -->
66% VS.
67%

Wait, what? Twice in a row? Well so much for a Conkeldurr sweep... he barely did anything at all! Well nothing to do now but try and recoup my losses. I still have the advantage with Gyarados here, so I can probably relax a bit. Seeing as he used Thunder Wave last time we had this match up, I’m thinking it’s pretty safe to assume that Tyranitar doesn’t actually have anything for Gyarados. He could switch to Terrakion who really threatens with Stone Edge, so I had better Waterfall instead of Dragon Tail and make sure he takes damage. Even if Celebi comes out, it’s low enough on health it won’t really matter.

Good, that’s the best possible scenario. Now I have one less threat to worry about. I prepare for Gyarados, as now he knows I don’t have Thunderpunch

Start of turn 26
Gyarados used Waterfall!
It's super effective!
Uncharted's Juggernaut lost 48% of its health!
Uncharted's Juggernaut flinched!

The sandstorm rages!

Uncharted: ik you have rest
Uncharted: oshit

66% VS.
25%

Oh ho, a little hax in my favour this time! I doubt it mattered quite as much as the Conkeldurr parahax did, but it’s a nice boon nonetheless. Let’s finish off this derpy dino now!

I don’t want to let Tyranitar die. It might be useful for setting up rocks just one more time in this battle. I’m going to switch him out and save him for later.

Start of turn 27

Gyarados used Waterfall!
Uncharted's PENIS! lost 14% of its health!

The sandstorm rages!

Jimera0[test]: retribution!

66% VS.
25% -->
15%

Errr looks like I spoke a little too soon with the “retribution” line, since he decided to save his Tyranitar’s ass for reasons unbeknownst to me. Still, his Celebi is in tremendously bad shape after taking Sandstorm and Stealth Rock damage as well as that Waterfall, so I got this in hand... unless it heals itself with Giga Drain. You know, I really can’t count on Gyarados to finish this after all. Wait a second... if he has to heal with Giga Drain to keep his Celebi alive... Oh ho ho, I have a nice little surprise for him I do!

An idea comes into my head here to just U-turn out and keep the switch advantage, but we are both aware that Giga Drain fails to KO. A waterfall to the face of any Pokemon I could switch in would leave a dent, while my best Gyarados counter is looking it in the face right now. I decide to Giga Drain, with the awareness that it dents Gyarados, knocks out Tentacruel, or leaves it in a favourable matchup against Tangrowth.

Start of turn 28
Jimera0[test] sent out Tentacruel!

Tentacruel lost 93 HP! (25% of its health)
Tentacruel fainted!
Tentacruel had its energy drained!
Uncharted's PENIS! is hurt by Tentacruel's Liquid Ooze!

The sandstorm rages!
Uncharted's PENIS! fainted!
Jimera0[test]: liquid ooze!
Jimera0[test]: *trollface*

66% -->
0% (fainted) -->
66% VS.
0% (fainted) -->
49%

Bwahahaha now that’s a creative way to KO a Pokemon! I’m damn glad I chose Liquid Ooze over Rain Dish now! It’s not like I have any rain to abuse anyway, and it did a fine job of taking Celebi out here. I chose Gyarados on the blind double switch since he has an advantage against each and every member of his team now. And look at that, out pops one of those disadvantaged members. An intimidate weakened Stone Edge won’t be taking out Gyarados unless it crits, and Waterfall hits everything on his team hard, so my choice is clear.

And there goes my second Gyarados counter. It’s here that I start to feel threatened, but I still see some light at the end of the tunnel, so I rally myself for the late game.

Start of turn 29
Uncharted's Grim Reaper used Stone Edge!
It's super effective!
Gyarados lost 170 HP! (43% of its health)
Gyarados used Waterfall!
It's super effective!
Uncharted's Grim Reaper lost 50% of its health!
Uncharted's Grim Reaper fainted!

The sandstorm rages!

Uncharted: miss
Uncharted: observe

23% VS.
0% (fainted) -->
84%

Yeaaaah I’m not relying on that miss Uncharted is so sure is coming. Gyarados’ Intimidate is still too useful against his physically oriented team members to lose now, so I’m switching him out. However, Tangrowth is too damaged for me to be sure she’ll be able to take a hit and I need her healthy for the end game. Latias, on the other hand, is useless. I guess I might as well sack her. If she lives I’ll just fire off a Dragon Pulse and see if that does anything.

There’s nothing but to go for it now. I click on Stone Edge and hope for the best.

Start of turn 30
Jimera0[test] sent out Latias!

A critical hit!
Latias lost 271 HP! (74% of its health)
Latias fainted!
Uncharted's Taijutsu is hurt by its Life Orb!

The sandstorm rages!
Uncharted: oh
Jimera0[test]: I call that opposite of a miss

Uncharted: not bad

Current Score: 2-3: Advantage Uncharted
Jimera0’s Team: Gyarados 66% / Tangrowth 52% / Latias 0% (fainted) / Conkeldurr 0% (fainted) / Jirachi 0% (fainted) / Tentacruel 0% (fainted)
Uncharted’s Team: Rotom-W 0% (Fainted) / Celebi 0% (fainted) / Landorus 0% (fainted) / Scizor 87% / Tyranitar 25% / Terrakion 74%

23% -->
0% (fainted) -->
52% VS.
74%

Well so much for getting a Dragon Pulse off. Doesn’t matter anyway, I got what I wanted; a free switch-in for Tangrowth. Of course, now my Pokemon are outnumbered 3 to 2... it wouldn’t be looking very good for me if it weren’t for the fact that both Tangrowth and Gyarados have advantages against his entire team. They’re too low on health though... I can’t really get Gyarados healed up unless I get a match up against a slow Pokemon, and Tangrowth might not survive a hit from Terrakion at this health. I think it’s time to take advantage of Regenerator again and use it to recover some health. If it costs Gyarados it’s life... well Tangrowth can handle the rest of his team once she gets some health back.

Yes! That worked out well. His Latias had a high amount of HP left, so it’s great I could eliminate it in one hit. The higher critical ratio for Stone Edge finally shone through for me. The tide of the battle is changing once again. I’m still wary of his Tangrowth though, so I have to keep my wits about me.

Start of turn 31

Gyarados intimidates Uncharted's Juggernaut!
Uncharted's Juggernaut's Attack fell!

The sandstorm rages!

85% -->
23% VS.
74% -->
18%

Well well well, I didn’t expect that! Looks like I don’t have to sacrifice Gyarados just yet after all. Tyranitar is slower, so Gyarados can Rest back up to full health! This is a damn good thing, since I won’t be able to restore Tangrowth’s health with Regenerator if it’s my last Pokemon, and all it would take would be one crit to finish it off. I wonder why he switched? Surely he would’ve known that Giga Drain would KO Tranitar when it came in... I guess he was hoping to survive and fire off a Fire Blast. Well, no luck for him, because now I really have this game in my hands.

So much for keeping my wits about me. This is probably where I lost the game. I forgot for a moment that it had Rest. It’s like forgetting that your opponent has Magnezone just because he didn’t use it to trap your Scizor the first time it came in. As I forgot it had Rest, I had planned to kill it without potentially sacrificing my Terrakion to a Stone Edge miss, since that would leave me vulnerable to Tangrowth. Tyranitar seemed to be the safest way to deal with Gyarados at the time.

Start of turn 32
Gyarados used Rest!
Gyarados went to sleep and became healthy!
Uncharted's Juggernaut used Crunch!
Gyarados lost 67 HP! (17% of its health)

The sandstorm rages!

83% (Asleep) VS.
25%

There we go, Gyarados is back in business! Of course, he’s asleep, but thanks to Sleep Talk he’s not a complete sitting duck. True, I might not get the move I want, but it’s better than being almost dead. I think it’s fairly obvious what I’m going to do here so let’s just get on with it shall we?

And my main misplay ends up haunting me immediately, as his Gyarados recovers all of his HP. The reality is that I made a mental note not to look at his RMT during the battle, and although I recalled it having Rest, it escaped me for a moment and probably cost me the game. Well now, all I can do is bring out Terrakion and hope not to get hit by Waterfall.

Start of turn 33

Gyarados is fast asleep!
Gyarados used Sleep Talk!
Uncharted's Taijutsu lost 18% of its health!

Uncharted's ButterFinger was dragged out!

The sandstorm rages!

83% (asleep) VS.
25% -->
50% -->
75%

Well thank lord I didn’t get Rest, because if anything he has left can win the game for him now it’s an un-intimidated Terrakion. Scizor is just as helpless against me as Tyranitar was and I’m hoping to get Gyarados to wake up, which switching would prevent, so Sleep Talk is the obvious choice. I’d have little to gain by switching Tangrowth into a likely U-Turn anyway.

I had anticipated a Tangrowth switch in, since she walls virtually all of my Pokemon at the moment. However, it seemed that Jimera just wanted to get a good Intimidate off and then sacrifice his Gyarados. I didn’t think that scenario was likely, so now I’m in a bad situation

Start of turn 34
Gyarados is fast asleep!
Gyarados used Sleep Talk!
Gyarados used Waterfall!
Uncharted's ButterFinger lost 33% of its health!
Uncharted's ButterFinger used U-turn!
Gyarados lost 79 HP! (20% of its health)

Uncharted called ButterFinger back!

The sandstorm rages!

Uncharted: miss
Uncharted: i will
Uncharted: promise

63% (Asleep) VS.
42% -->
44%

20%? Well that’s more than I was expecting. I really don’t know whether I should stay in and hope either for the miss he promised or to survive and wake up, or whether I should switch to Tangrowth who is much better equipped to take a Stone Edge.... well Tangrowth can just recover the health it could lose if I switch back to Gyarados again the next turn and Intimidate whatever he has in again. Seems like a plan to me. I’m starting to realize now that my victory is not as assured as I thought it was... This Terrakion is dangerous.

I know he’s afraid of Terrakion, but I have little alternative other than to use Stone Edge at the moment. He’s made some pretty weird decisions so far, and I just can’t let Gyarados wake back up.

Start of turn 35

Tangrowth lost 144 HP! (35% of its health)

The sandstorm rages!

Jimera0[test]: and with regenerator you achieved nothing

63% (Asleep) -->
52% VS.
34%

Alright, that’s all to plan. Time to switch back to Gyarados, whose Intimidate should ensure Tangrowth survives that last few turns needed to put this in the bag.

I really do feel like using Stone Edge here, because the most likely scenario is a switch back to Gyarados. However, I bear in mind that denting Tangrowth heavily (without the risk of missing!) is the better option here, as Gyarados is fast asleep. As such, I use Close Combat, knowing I can take out Gyarados later anyways.

Start of turn 36
Gyarados intimidates Uncharted's Taijutsu!
Uncharted's Taijutsu's Attack fell!

Uncharted's Taijutsu used Close Combat!
Gyarados lost 75 HP! (19% of its health)
Uncharted's Taijutsu's Defense fell!
Uncharted's Taijutsu's Sp. Def. fell!

The sandstorm rages!

85% -->
43% (Asleep) VS.
24%

There we go, his Terrakion has been neutered! I expect that he’ll switch to undo the attack drop from Intimidate now so I’ll use Sleep Talk again and hope for the best. Hell, there’s no guarantee Stone Edge will kill me if he uses it anyway, between the miss rate and the attack drop.

I’m not entirely sure that I can KO at this range, but my main Gyarados counters have all been used up. I decide to use Stone Edge again and hope for the best.

Start of turn 37
It's super effective!
Gyarados lost 173 HP! (43% of its health)
Gyarados fainted!

The sandstorm rages!
Uncharted: yess

0% (fainted) -->
82% VS.
14%

Yeah, guess I was wrong about that one. Uncharted seems awfully pleased with that development, and I have to admit I’m a little worried now. Tangrowth is by no means guaranteed to survive the gauntlet of three opponents he has to face in the next few turns. Well all that’s left to do now is to keep attacking and hope for the best.

I can’t do much but switch out at the moment. Tangrowth can certainly take a Close Combat or X-Scissor. I decide to fodder my Tyranitar, which is one of the reasons I saved it before. I’m all for saving a Pokemon at 1hp and switching in a resist which takes minimal damage instead of letting the weakened Pokemon die. Having a fodder to toss into the fire has won me many battles.
Then I second guess... maybe it’s better to switch in Scizor? But it has Hidden Power Fire and the damage output lost from a dead Scizor would be enough to lose me the battle. It’s 3 vs 1 now, but I don’t really have the advantage. I can’t let Tangrowth nail my Scizor on the switch, so I settle on my original plan of foddering Tyranitar.

Start of turn 38

Tangrowth used Giga Drain!
It's super effective!
Uncharted's Juggernaut lost 13% of its health!
Uncharted's Juggernaut fainted!
Uncharted's Juggernaut had its energy drained!

The sandstorm rages!

Jimera0[test]: you think x-scizor will ko?

88% VS.
0% (fainted) -->
8%

Well that’s one down. That switch isn’t really a good thing for me even though it assured Tyranitar’s death though, since now Tangrowth is going to have to take the full brunt of Terrakion’s attacks without aid from Gyarados’ Intimidate. I just hope that she can take the hit...

My Tyranitar runs a Sassy nature and he runs speed EVs on his Tangrowth, so there’s no point keeping it alive. Now I can bring in my heavy hitters for free.

Start of turn 39
Uncharted's Taijutsu used Close Combat!
Tangrowth lost 184 HP! (45% of its health)
Uncharted: no
Uncharted's Taijutsu's Defense fell!
Uncharted's Taijutsu's Sp. Def. fell!
Uncharted's Taijutsu fainted!
Tangrowth used Giga Drain!
But there was no target...

The sandstorm rages!

Uncharted: fuck
Uncharted: i lost

Uncharted sent out ButterFinger! (Scizor)
Jimera0[test]: yup
Uncharted: but it was a good game
Jimera0[test]: yeah

43% VS.
0% (fainted) -->
28%

So his Terrakion ended dying from his own recoil damage and Tangrowth never even had to land a blow. That’s rather embarrassing for one of the strongest attackers in the game. At this point we both think that battle is over but we had forgotten one important detail... Scizor has Bullet punch.

I blast off with my most powerful attack and hope for the best. I probably should have used X-Scissor but Close Combat does as much damage as X-Scissor, and I knew Giga drain would kill even if my Defences were not lowered.

Start of turn 40
Uncharted's ButterFinger used Bullet Punch!
Tangrowth lost 124 HP! (30% of its health)
Tangrowth used Hidden Power!
It's super effective!
Uncharted's ButterFinger lost 29% of its health!
Uncharted's ButterFinger fainted!
Jimera0[test] won the battle!
Jimera0[test]: Well, at least you tried!
Uncharted: Your mother never loved you.
Jimera0[test]: you played it well
Jimera0[test]: lmao

Uncharted: you did better

13% VS.
0% (fainted)

Final Score: 1-0: Jimera0 Wins!
Jimera0’s Team: Gyarados 0% (fainted) / Tangrowth 13% / Latias 0% (fainted) / Conkeldurr 0% (fainted) / Jirachi 0% (fainted) / Tentacruel 0% (fainted)
Uncharted’s Team: Rotom-W 0% (Fainted) / Celebi 0% (fainted) / Landorus 0% (fainted) / Scizor 0% (fainted) / Tyranitar 0% (fainted) / Terrakion 0% (fainted)

But to my relief it isn’t strong enough to take Tangrowth out, and lord did this ever end up being close. Just one crit could have completely changed the outcome of this battle. It would’ve been an embarrassment had I lost considering I billed this team as anti-volt-turn! To be fair, it was his Terrakion that made things close, not the Volt-Turning strategy. I’ve got to give him credit though, few people I’ve played against recently have managed to give me such a close game when using the one strategy I’m best against.

In the end I lose by 13%, but I take heart. I’ve managed to give a counter team one of the hardest games of its tenure, and even have fun doing it. Looking back, I actually learned a lot from this battle. I have changed the movesets and EVs of several of my Pokemon since this and have reaped the rewards of doing so.

Props and Slops:
Rather than have me decide what the props and slops were alone, I decided to have Uncharted decide what my props and slops were, and have myself decide what his were. The props and slops I decided on are in blue and the ones he decided on are in green.

Props:
- To Uncharted for helping me with this warstory and my RMT!
- To Uncharted for managing to do so well against a team designed to take on his own.
- For Uncharted paralyzing my Conkeldurr. He understood the benefits of that better than I did.
- For PO giving us a game light on hax!
- To uncharted for bluffing Psychic on his Celebi. I really COULD have 6-0’d him if not for that.

- To Jimera for recovering from a bad start to win the battle.
- To Tangrowth for effortlessly tanking every hit it was required to.
- To Jimera for thinking cleverly and knowing exactly when to switch out or stay in.
- To Tentacruel for spinning away the rocks I so desperately needed, and creatively killing Celebi.

Slops:
– Uncharted calling a miss on every Stone Edge he used except the one that actually DID miss.
- Uncharted for switching in his Rotom-W into Conkeldurr at low health. It still could’ve done something!
- Uncharted for attempting to switch Tyranitar into Tangrowth during turn 33. Tangrowth would’ve eaten it for lunch even if I hadn’t been switching to Gyarados.
- Scizor for being utterly useless the whole match.

- Jirachi for being utterly useless for the whole match. Yeah sure, it was tricked, but it could have at least have gotten some paralysis in before expiring
- Latias for making a 1 minute cameo and then dying
- Jimera for winning against a team he was supposed to counter by a mere 13%

MVPs

Uncharted’s MVP, according to Jimera0

This was a hard choice since each member of his team did very similar amounts of damage to mine (expected from a Volt-Turn team), but none of them were as big a threat to me as Terrakion was. It KO’d two of my Pokemon and forced more switches on my side than all his volt-turn users combined. Terrakion is one heck of a Pokemon like that, and few manage to cause as much universal dread as it does.

Jimera0’s MVP, according to Uncharted:

Regenerator made it such a pain to take down. Knock Off sealed the deal for Celebi and it stood up high, all alone, against my 3 last Pokemon and defeated them all. What else can I say?
Looking back though, I actually handled the Tangrowth pretty well. I didn’t let it Knock Off any of my important items, avoided permanent paralysis with Celebi, and generally forced it back over and over throughout the game. I couldn’t really do much more than that though.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
hello ripamon :)

great battle and a great warstory. Im a big fan of double comments too that that was a massive plus. Props to both of you!

This was a really great read, there has been a lack of good warstories recently so I'm glad you guys posted this one! Thanks!

One thing I didn't like was the parahax but that's just part of the game and it made the battle more exciting.

I'm gonna say 9/10 :)

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
gdi, I kept on thinking this was the battle you posted as a replay, threw me off a ton of times :P

Excellent commentary overall and a very solid battle. Thoroughly enjoyable.

This was a really great read, there has been a lack of good warstories recently so I'm glad you guys posted this one! Thanks!

One thing I didn't like was the parahax but that's just part of the game and it made the battle more exciting.

I'm gonna say 9/10 :)
Thanks for the reading through and posting a thoughful rate! About the parahax.. well thats one of the main attractions of the move, and why its the best status move in the game.. We use it hoping for hax!:p

Yeah, that is a very valid point. But Thunder Wave is mostly used for the speed drop, whereas something like Scald is used only for its burn chance. I'm not saying the hax ruined it, though, I actually think it made the battle better because Jimera might have won much more easily had he not been paralyzed! :)

Edit: Luvdisc'd!

[[Ah crap his Jirachi has Psychic, judging by his previous comments and the fact he switched it into Conk. Conk can’t take a Psychic from this damn pixie and I need to save him for Tyranitar, so I had better switch him out. I shouldn’t’ve wasted a turn like that... Well can’t take it back now. Latias can take anything Jirachi can throw at it, so out she comes.]]

That confused me, did you mean Celebi? :o You kept saying Jirachi, lol. :P Other then that, great warstory! :D

[[Ah crap his Jirachi has Psychic, judging by his previous comments and the fact he switched it into Conk. Conk can’t take a Psychic from this damn pixie and I need to save him for Tyranitar, so I had better switch him out. I shouldn’t’ve wasted a turn like that... Well can’t take it back now. Latias can take anything Jirachi can throw at it, so out she comes.]]

That confused me, did you mean Celebi? :o You kept saying Jirachi, lol. :P Other then that, great warstory! :D
WHOOPS! Yes I meant Celebi, I have no idea why I put Jirachi there, or how I missed it when I was proofreading. I'll go and change that immediately.

Thanks for all the feedback people, I'm glad you like it! If anyone else notices any mistakes let me know so I go and fix them.

I'd been wondering how this team would play ever since I came across it in the RMT forum--it seems to work a lot better than I thought it would. If that sounds like a backhanded compliment, I'm sorry. I'm having trouble articulating just how cool I think the team is.

The battle was excellent, and I love double commentaries. Thanks for posting. =)

I would just like to add, this is one of the better warstories that have been posted recently. Based on what i know, both sides had advantages to their own. Jimera0 had a team catered specially to handling Volt-Turn( not sure how this fares in normal laddering with the omni-present weather teams) and Ripamon having insights and knowledge on the team that Jimer0 used in these game.

I guess, what I am trying to say that, no surprises or gimmicks were present making this a delightful warstory.

Bravo to the both of you.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
This was definitely a good warstory, but I wouldn't say it was great. The commentary showed what you were thinking at the time, and it was clear that it wasn't written by braindead people, but it was bland and unentertaining. The battle, as well, while not poor, was mediocre, good at best. Neither player really had an endgame plan, and it just sort of happened. Neither player really attempted to take control of the game. It wasn't at all helped by the fact that each knew how the other team played - while that can lead to whole new levels of prediction, as seen in Blatrueka's warstory, it also removes a whole level of prediction as you do not need to figure out what your opponent is trying to do. The formatting was as high quality as you could hope for, but sadly the rest of the narrative fell a little short.

In all, though, it wasn't a bad effort - just find a more suspenseful battle and let your voice come through on the commentary. I would give this a solid 7.5/10

This was definitely a good warstory, but I wouldn't say it was great. The commentary showed what you were thinking at the time, and it was clear that it wasn't written by braindead people, but it was bland and unentertaining. The battle, as well, while not poor, was mediocre, good at best. Neither player really had an endgame plan, and it just sort of happened. Neither player really attempted to take control of the game. It wasn't at all helped by the fact that each knew how the other team played - while that can lead to whole new levels of prediction, as seen in Blatrueka's warstory, it also removes a whole level of prediction as you do not need to figure out what your opponent is trying to do. The formatting was as high quality as you could hope for, but sadly the rest of the narrative fell a little short.

In all, though, it wasn't a bad effort - just find a more suspenseful battle and let your voice come through on the commentary. I would give this a solid 7.5/10
Honestly I'm surprised more of the comments aren't like this. I honestly don't completely understand the acclaim this warstory is receiving. While I by no means think it's bad, I felt when writing it that it was lacking my usual wit, just a little too dry. I've read some warstories that both made me laugh and managed to explain the battle and thought process well, such as your own Pwnemon, not to mention the most recent addition to the archive "Attack of the Pranksters" which was in just every way superb. I suspect part of this was because I spent so much time on the format that by the time I got to the commentary I was a little worn out. Seriously, this thing took the better part of two or three days to compile, with most of that time being put into making sure the format was perfect. That's why I asked for that Aesoft warstory link on your topic; if I could cut down on the amount of drudgery I could have more time and energy to commit to making the commentary more entertaining.

I do have one thing to point out that's wrong about your criticism. While I cannot speak for Ripamon, I can most certainly assert that I did have an end game plan, which ended up playing out pretty much exactly as you saw; Tangrowth sweeps his remaining Pokemon after Gyarados gives it enough switches and intimidates to ensure its survival. I probably didn't express this well enough in my commentary though; I suspect part of the reason was I didn't want to sound too confident lest I take away from the suspense of the warstory. The truth be told, I felt fairly confident and in control the whole match. The way this warstory turned out is the way a lot of my battles go. Generally if I'm causing lots of switching and rocks are on the opponents side but not on mine, I'm in control. I did try to end the match quickly a couple times with Conk but Ripamon thwarted those attempts first with his bluff, then with Landorus, and then with Parahax.

As for us knowing each other's teams, well he knew my team a lot better than I knew his. I only know so much about his team because of how generic it was; I was forced to make predictions as I normally would, whereas he made predictions based on knowledge of my team.

Anyway, I assure you next time I'll amp up the commentary some, as I wasn't completely pleased with it myself. As for the battle, well I think that's a matter of taste here. It's hard to get a really good battle and this one looked good so I took the opportunity when I had it.

Now all this is not to say I don't appreciate the acclaim I've gotten from pretty much everyone else; I'm flattered that you guys like it so much and have already given it as many Luvdisc's as the Dark Horse Project. I do agree with Pwnemon that I could do better though, and I'll see to it that I do so in the future. I just wish warstoryable battles happened more often.

This was very nice. Finally people are managing to pull out good warstories.

Nice battle from both sides. The end was very close and thrilling.

Just a niptick: Stab CC has 180 BP whereas SE X-Scissors has just 140. So your call was the right one.

If it wasn't just for the real nice battle, THIS made me lol a lot:

It's super effective!

This was very nice. Finally people are managing to pull out good warstories.

Nice battle from both sides. The end was very close and thrilling.

Just a niptick: Stab CC has 180 BP whereas SE X-Scissors has just 140. So your call was the right one.

If it wasn't just for the real nice battle, THIS made me lol a lot:

It's super effective!
Actually you're both wrong, at least with regards to SE X-Scissor's base power. X-Scissor has a BP of 80 (not 90 or 70) and as such is 160 BP when super effective. So yeah, still made the right choice, but only 20 BP difference instead of 40. I'm not bothering to edit it now though, partially because it's not my part of the commentary, partly because I can't be bothered.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)