move 2: Spore
move 3: Seed Bomb
move 4: Drain Punch
item: Toxic Orb
ability: Poison Heal
nature: Careful
evs: 236 HP / 212 SDef / 60 Spd

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Breloom can effectively use a Bulk Up set that hinders common physical walls such as Gliscor, Quagsire, and most stall teams. It should also be noted that this variant of Breloom can set up on a multitude of common threats, such as Tyranitar, Ferrothorn, Forretress, and Politoed, among others. Rotom-W, which usually causes most teams trouble, can't touch Breloom either, because its STABs are resisted and Will-O-Wisp won't have any effect if Toxic Orb has already activated.</p>

<p>Bulk Up is the crux of this set, boosting Breloom's already massive Attack and its mediocre Defense to high levels, which enables Breloom to survive moves like Choice Band Terrakion's Close Combat, Mamoswine's Ice Shard, and Scizor's Bullet Punch, preventing them from revenge killing the mushroom Pokemon. Spore is quite useful, especially with the mechanics in BW, and essentially disables one of your opponent's Pokemon. Seed Bomb is Breloom's most powerful Attack, and it hits bulky Water-types such as Rotom-W, Politoed, Quagsire, and Gastrodon extremely hard. Drain Punch, when used in conjunction with Poison Heal, recovers Breloom's health, making it even harder to take down, and still decimates threats such as Tyranitar, Blissey, and Ferrothorn. Additionally, the annoying 'Volt-Turn' combo utilized by Rotom-W and Scizor will also have trouble with this set; Breloom can set up on and destroy Rotom-W, and, with the Defense boost, Scizor will lose to Breloom as well.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The spread might seem strange, but it does have its uses. 236 HP EVs will ensure that Breloom will have the highest HP number that is divisible by 8, meaning that it will recover the most HP from Poison Heal. 60 Speed EVs allow Breloom to reach 191 Speed, outspeeding minimum Speed Heatran and other bulky Pokemon such as Choice Band Tyranitar, Skarmory, and defensive Politoed; the rest is put into Special Defense in order to take hits such as Rotom-W's Hydro Pump much better, as well as surviving moves such as Defensive Reuniclus' Psychic and Celebi's Hidden Power Fire. Drain Punch is used for its higher Base Power and extra healing, but Mach Punch can also be used for priority; however, it is not recommended due to its poor Base Power. Stone Edge is also an option over Seed Bomb if you wish to hit Flying-types for heavy damage, but Seed Bomb hits bulky Water-types super effectively, and is one of Breloom's selling points.</p>

<p>This set works especially well against 'Volt-Turn' teams. As for our mushroom's partners, Latios gets a special mention, because he resists Breloom's Psychic- and Fire-type weakness, and can also OHKO troublesome Pokemon such as Acrobatics Gliscor and Skarmory. Meanwhile, Breloom can take out Pokemon Latios struggles with, such as Tyranitar and, if it has set up, Scizor. Drizzle teams might also enjoy Breloom's presence, as it's effective against both sandstorm teams and Rotom-W, and Breloom loves the rain Politoed brings, which greatly weakens attacks such as Heatran's Flamethrower and random Hidden Power Fires. Lastly, using another Fighting-type Pokemon is also a pretty good idea, as Breloom lures and severely weakens targets such as Gliscor and Reuniclus, clearing the way for another sweeper to clean up.</p>

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
In almost all of your logs, the opponent made some seriously stupid decisions, like Tyranitar using Pursuit on Breloom, Blissey using Flamethrower against Breloom in the rain, Jirachi using Thunder on a Breloom that's already been Poisoned... not the best logs. :p

Other than that, the set looks pretty good. It makes the most of Breloom's great physically defensive typing and Breloom forces a lot of switches so getting boosts isn't too hard. Just thinking, is it worth mentioning a specially defensive EV spread? Breloom could use the extra special defense to take neutral attacks and weak Ice Beams, and even an uninvested Adamant Breloom has 326 Atk. It also rounds off Breloom's defenses since it's boosting its physical Defense already.

There are so many fast, special attackers in the tier that they can check this set pretty easily. Does Breloom have the ability to take hits with enough SpD EV's?

This Breloom has to compete with Scrafty and Conkledurr, while Breloom definitely has better recovery of Poison Heal, he can't match the gargantuan HP Stat of Conkledurr's or the great Defenses of Scrafty. Since they have those qualities, they can set up in the face of special attacks. It doesn't look like Breloom can.

this does look intresting
all in all it looks good on paper or in this case online and pretty good in action, i gotta say it its a cool idea

Ive been using a similar set and its amazing. I use max hp/sdef with a few speed. It counters Landorus/Scizor/Rotom-W combo so easily and sweep late game. Its also a perfect switch to the like of Jellicent, Gastrodon and Quagsire who stall lots of team. The spread I use is more defensive oriented though since I needed something to beat Rotom-W but it stil beat Gliscor, Scizor and the others 1v1. This is why I think a similar spread should be in AC but only if using Drain Punch. Great job !

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
My main gripe about this set is that most of Breloom's counters are specially-based. Dragonite, Salamence, Lati@s can all OHKO you no matter how many Bulk Ups you get. On top of that, Breloom is ridiculously slow and can't really outspeed anything aside from those Pokemon who are slow to begin with and can easily tank hits from Breloom and KO back (Reuniclus). Just something to think about.

Also, about the EVs, outspeeding "Standard Skarmory" who uses enough EVs to outspeed Timid Wobbuffet is considered speed creep. You could set it down to 24 Speed to outspeed Wobb as well, but outspeeding Skarmory who is already using its EVs to outspeed something else shouldn't be put on an analysis.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I've actually seen Bulk Up Breloom in action, and it's quite effective. However, not with the EVs posted by Blue_Star. IMO, Bulk Up Breloom gets more mileage by going Specially-Defensive, as Mynism has suggested. So the EV investment should heavily emphasize HP / SDef rather than HP / Atk. Most likely a Careful Nature, too.

I briefly tested this and I can attest to Pocket's previous post. Some sort of specially defensive spread would likely be more effective. From the small amount of testing I did, I can see that this set may be as effective as conkeldurr(note i tested mach punch more than drain punch). I don't know if a careful nature is needed, but I still feel that Breloom still needs a decent amount of Atk investment as opposed to mostly hp and spd evs.

My main gripe about this set is that most of Breloom's counters are specially-based. Dragonite, Salamence, Lati@s can all OHKO you no matter how many Bulk Ups you get. On top of that, Breloom is ridiculously slow and can't really outspeed anything aside from those Pokemon who are slow to begin with and can easily tank hits from Breloom and KO back (Reuniclus). Just something to think about.

Also, about the EVs, outspeeding "Standard Skarmory" who uses enough EVs to outspeed Timid Wobbuffet is considered speed creep. You could set it down to 24 Speed to outspeed Wobb as well, but outspeeding Skarmory who is already using its EVs to outspeed something else shouldn't be put on an analysis.
This is why I've used a Careful Specially defensive Bulk Up Breloom. It works fantastic in the rain which allows it to survive some Fire attacks and the special defense makes it really bulky. Sandstorm teams in general have issues with it.

For the interested, here's my spread : EVs: 252 HP / 200 SDef / 56 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)

Maximum bulk with enough speed (190) to outspeed most Tyranitar, Abomasnow, Scizor,.. It doesnt really lack power since it can easily set-up thanks to Spore, Poison Heal and Drain Punch recovery. I use it in a rain team and it solves my Jellicent/Gastrodon/Gliscor/Rotom-w/Jirachi issues pretty well.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for sharing, Mynism. Since we would want to avoid speed creep, we can either bump Breloom's Speed to outrun min-Speed Heatran (190) or bring it down to outrun Skarmory (176).

I think it depends of the team. In a rain one you can afford to only reach 183 like Blue Star set but outside of this weather going up to 19x is better (Heatran).

Oh lord, well i think this bulkyloom is "ultamtely" more "effecient" since it can check Rotom-W. Then again, I haven't tested this set extensively; but I will do so now.

great set, used it a bit, support 100%. the best thing about it is that its one of few pokemon that can switch into rotom-w, doesnt mind wow and isnt afraid of a uturning scizor/landorus.

Heist is right but its also a wonderfull walbreaker since only Defensive Dnite/Skarmory beat it (but can be Spored) in a stall. It can only hope a late game sweep against offense though : Latios and other strong SAttacked shut it down

So I was testing this set for a little bit, and I didn't have much success. But, after about another twenty min of testing, I started to have a lot more success. After getting one Bulk Up, it was easy to break the volt-turn chains. Although this set lacks more immediate power, I can attest to this sets effectiveness.

This set is really good with the right teammates, definitely site worthy. Its downside is getting checked by most special attackers, but something like Jirachi can easily handle most of them. In the end the frail special attacker is not going to outlast, esp since it has to check breloom and not risk eating a spore.

DeagleBeagle

Banned deucer.
Stone Edge seems like a worthy option over Seed Bomb. Many of the Fighting resistances such as Salamence, Dragonite, Gyarados, Gengar etc take a lot more damage from Stone Edge than Seed Bomb. Furthermore, a Fighting move already super-affects a lot of the Grass weak pokemon like Tyranitar and Terrakion. So I believe Stone Edge would be good coverage for things people send in to try to counter Breloom after you Spore one of their allies.

Seed Bomb is primary for Quagsire, Jellicent and Defensive Politoed. Stone edge is an option but Breloom loses one of it's selling point. It depends of the team you use it in.

About the effectiveness, I am SURE that those who think it isn't viable didn't try it out or have their judgement based on someone who didn't use it well. Honestly this mushroom is the shit

This sets is pretty damn effective. I like Mynism's spread more, being able to take hits from Rain and much easier setup, doing very well against Sandstorm teams as well, check Standart Rotom-W very effective, easily beats any Gliscor 1v1 as long he dosent have Acrobatics. Also thanks to poison heal and drain punch recovery it setups incredible easy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)