Breloom (Bulk Up) [QC 3/3] [GP 2/2]

236 HP/ 212 SpDef/ 60 Spe or bust.

60 Spe to beat 0 speed Heatran. Current EV spread ties with it. Furthermore, current EV spread is speed creep, trying to beat Skarm who tries to beat Wobb. Beating 0 speed Heatran is not speed creep, because it is Heatran's minimum speed, not Heatran trying to beat something else.

236 HP/ 212 SpDef/ 60 Spe or bust.

60 Spe to beat 0 speed Heatran. Current EV spread ties with it. Furthermore, current EV spread is speed creep, trying to beat Skarm who tries to beat Wobb. Beating 0 speed Heatran is not speed creep, because it is Heatran's minimum speed, not Heatran trying to beat something else.
You're gonna lose out on the extra SDef point then (229 instead of 231). Besides, this set only works in the rain and defensive Tran can only muster Lava Plume or perhaps even Taunt there. Low basepower + no investment on Heatran's part + Rain making it neutral... the damage is underwhelming to say the least:

Damage: 122 - 146 of 320 HP
38% - 45%

All in all: Nothing a Drain Punch + Toxic Orb healing can't fix.

You're gonna lose out on the extra SDef point then (229 instead of 231). Besides, this set only works in the rain and defensive Tran can only muster Lava Plume or perhaps even Taunt there. Low basepower + no investment on Heatran's part + Rain making it neutral... the damage is underwhelming to say the least:

Damage: 122 - 146 of 320 HP
38% - 45%

All in all: Nothing a Drain Punch + Toxic Orb healing can't fix.
Wtf ? Can you please explain how this set works best in rain ? You know, I personally find it better in a sandstorm where it REALLY takes on any kind of Rotom-w. In rain, modest Hydro Pump can approach the 2hko and it becomes reality with prior damages or hazards. I should also add that most of the special attackers that threaten Breloom are handled by Tyranitar,...

PS : I support SlimMan evs. Should be in the analysis

Wtf ? Can you please explain how this set works best in rain ? You know, I personally find it better in a sandstorm where it REALLY takes on any kind of Rotom-w. In rain, modest Hydro Pump can approach the 2hko and it becomes reality with prior damages or hazards. I should also add that most of the special attackers that threaten Breloom are handled by Tyranitar,...

PS : I support SlimMan evs. Should be in the analysis
I wasn't the first to bring up Rain here so no need to pounce me for it. Rain provides it extra defense against Hidden Power Fire that might plague it. Besides, Rotom-W doesn't have the bulk to stand up to Breloom & 2HKO as Seed Bomb crushes the machine even with no boosts:

Damage: 204 - 242 of 242 HP
84% - 100%

Bulky Rotom-W's are even worse off as they don't pack the wallop needed + are 2HKO'd at +0 and OHKO'd flat out at +1

About your damage calc, Rotom-W only inflicts this much in the Rain with Hydro Pump:

Damage: 142 - 168 of 320 HP
44% - 52%

Doesn't even come close to a 2HKO in the rain after Poison Heal so aside from Trick, Rotom-W can barely eliminate a weakened Breloom.

About your damage calc, Rotom-W only inflicts this much in the Rain with Hydro Pump:

Damage: 142 - 168 of 320 HP
44% - 52%

Doesn't even come close to a 2HKO in the rain after Poison Heal so aside from Trick, Rotom-W can barely eliminate a weakened Breloom.
Yea it doesnt 2HKO as I said (reread) but your damage calc just show us that Loom can only counter Rotom-w once. Ot not at all since Poison Heal doesn't work on the turn you activate the orb.

This is why I think your idea of basing the set as it was under rain is bad. SlimMan spread is definitely the way to go.

Edit : and who uses fire moves ? Volcarona ? Celebi ? Salamence ? Venusaur ? Victini ? Rain or not, they all resist the 2 stabs. Breloom isnt Scizor

Yea it doesnt 2HKO as I said (reread) but your damage calc just show us that Loom can only counter Rotom-w once. Ot not at all since Poison Heal doesn't work on the turn you activate the orb.

This is why I think your idea of basing the set as it was under rain is bad. SlimMan spread is definitely the way to go.

Edit : and who uses fire moves ? Volcarona ? Celebi ? Salamence ? Venusaur ? Victini ? Rain or not, they all resist the 2 stabs. Breloom isnt Scizor
Who ever said this set was to switch into Rotom-W & wall it? Instead of bashing & being eager to start a flame war, add constructive critism next time. People who don't run Fire are just foolish as Fighting alone won't cut it to get past Ferrothorn, Forretress, etc...

To get back on-topic: Set's been working out quite well, I can vouche for it. Aside from that, think there is little left to add (at least that I can think of).

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Specially defensive Breloom in rain is godly!
Poison Heal and Drain Punch go a long way in keeping Breloom healthy throughout the match to counter Rotom-W and many other threats.
With rain up,Celebi not only heals incredibly fast but doesn't fear otherwise good checks like Heatran,Infernape,Volcarona(if running Stone Edge),Celebi,mixed Ttars who get cocky and try to Fire Blast you,Salamence with Fire Blast and Rotom-W with HP Fire.
Also Breloom provides Rain teams with an excellent switch in to Ttar,which they sometimes lack(Ferro fears Fire Blast).

EDIT:And Mynism it doesn't matter if Salamence and Celebi wall you since you Spore them and then boost till you straight up 1hko them(or 2hko).
The standard defensive Celebi always runs a Grass move,HP Fire,Recover and Leech Seed/T-Wave.So what is this thing going to do to you as you setup?
And standard DD Mence does maximum of 46,3% with Fire Blast in rain,so you use him as setup also.

Hey I just want the speed to reach 191 ! Couldn't help contradict you though :jump: (it was stil kinda constructive)

Loom is just as good in rain as it is in sandstorm. so the analysis have to cover the whole usage. 191

edit @ above : yea nothin can beat breloom cause it spore kill spore kill lol

Cooky

Banned deucer.
so I made a team around this set and peaked at number 8 on PO about a week ago (not all that great but eh), it is a cool idea and is quite anti metagame atm as it fucks volt turning and rain stall once skarms weakened, two playstyles which everyone hates to play against. And yeah, you can quite often beat skarm as people tend to switch in spore fodder that cant touch you so skarm switches in as youre at +2. spore it, get to +4 then drain punch as it cant ohko you

Unfortunately its not worth shit against sun or HO and is shot down by sub disable gengar / dragon but there you go.

Nice. I use this breloom too but I use 252 attack evs because I see my team style as "offence". And just saying, that set can 2HKO skarmory after a +2. Its awesome against rain stall too and boasts strong drain punches (more power since turn 1). However, without the SpD, it can't handle rotom-w well; losing 36% on every volt switch sucks. I also run enough speed to run SpD heatran too, because it doesn't have weather.

I'd love to see this set on site. Having special defense EVs allows Breloom to take some weak Hidden Power Fire/Ices and makes Rotom-W so much easier to deal with. Poison Heal + Drain Punch gives Breloom some nice longevity. Dual stab from 130 base attack is pretty cool too. It will fall to some stronger special attackers though.

Bloo

Banned deucer.
Tested this out a bunch on a team and was impressed with what I saw. I was even able to just outright lead with it and sweep a few teams here and there. The set poses an offensive threat while being able to, as Heist said, switch-in on things like Rotom-W, absorb status, and stop U-Turn / Volt Switch chains, which is incredibly useful in OU.

QC APPROVED (1/3)

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I love this set. It works very well, and can act as a stopper to many common strategies employed in OU at the moment. Still, I think that it should be mentioned that speedy, frail offensive teams tend to stop it in its tracks.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
As someone who used to show skepticism of Breloom's effectiveness, I've been using this set and it's truly amazing. Because it's seemingly an anti-metagame set, I've been able to either pull off clean sweeps with it or get a bunch of ragequits. Also acts as an effective "ICE BEAM ME STARMIE!" so you can kill that thing with a Seed Bomb, and amazing to switch it in on Toxics from defensive Politoed because you're going to get poisoned anyway.

This is an amazing set and definitely deserves to be on site.

ok i know im kind of late but i think the speed should be upped to 197 (84 EVs) to beat min base 80s and most importantly allowing you to spore rain stall dragonite. this extra investment also leaves a lot of room for spdefensive tran who like to speed creep and it is really helpful to outpace him outside of rain.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I got some mileage out of slapping this set on a random team. I really appreciate to check the annoying Rotom-W / Scizor core and Drain Punch is really cool. Good work.

Breloom is totally luffy...

QC APPROVED (3/3)

ok i know im kind of late but i think the speed should be upped to 197 (84 EVs) to beat min base 80s and most importantly allowing you to spore rain stall dragonite. this extra investment also leaves a lot of room for spdefensive tran who like to speed creep and it is really helpful to outpace him outside of rain.
The problem with this is that if the Dragonite speed creeps too, Breloom got OHKO. And personally the only Rain Dnite I use has 200 speed to beat Blastoise..

The problem with this is that if the Dragonite speed creeps too, Breloom got OHKO. And personally the only Rain Dnite I use has 200 speed to beat Blastoise..
Well the standard rain stall nite set that m dragon popularized runs 0 speed because it needs a lot of bulk to combat Virizion and celebi. You know who is faster according to poison heal and lefties recovery so you wouldn't risk getting ohkoed. And WTF blastoise... I'm just saying it's a good benchmark to hit and it also covers tran speed creep.

(tbh it really doesn't matter what you use the standard rain stall nite does not invest in speed)

Put it in Copyediting so we know to check it :)

anyways, checking

Add
Remove
Comment

[SET]
name: Bulk Up
move 1: Bulk Up
move 2: Spore
move 3: Seed Bomb
move 4: Drain Punch
item: Toxic Orb
ability: Poison Heal
nature: Careful
evs: 236 HP / 212 SDef / 60 Spd

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Breloom can also effectively use a Bulk Up set to attempt a sweep that gives troubles to common physical walls such as Gliscor, Quagsire, (add comma) and most members of a stall teams. It should also be noted that, when using this moveset, this variant of Breloom can set up on a multitude of common threats, such as Tyranitar (nor Fire Blast or Ice Beam will KO, and smart Tyranitar users don't leave their weather starter against something that can OHKO them), Ferrothorn, Forretress, and Politoed, among others. Rotom-W, which usually causes troubles to most teams, can't touch this Breloom either, because both of Rotom-W's its STABs are resisted and Will-O-Wisp won't have any effect if Toxic Orb has already activated.</p>

<p>Bulk Up is the crux of this set, boosting Breloom's already massive Attack to powerful levels and its while also boosting its mediocre Defense, which enables Breloom to survive moves like Choice Band Terrakion's Close Combat, Mamoswine's Ice Shard and Scizor's Bullet Punch, meaning they will fail to revenge kill the mushroom Pokémon. Spore is quite useful, especially with the mechanics in BW, and essentially disables one of your opponent's Pokemon. , with the new Sleep mechanics, is really overpowered, disabling, possibly for the rest of the game, one pokemon, which might put your opponent in a pinch (holy crap 6 commas in one sentence...). Seed Bomb is Breloom's most powerful Attack without drawbacks, and it also hits bulky Water-types waters such as Rotom-W, Politoed, Gastrodon, and Quagsire extremely hard, being useful against targets such as Rotom-W, Politoed, Quagsire, Gastrodon, and others. Drain Punch, when used in conjunction with Poison Heal, recovers Breloom's health, making it even harder to take down, and while still decimates threats such as like Tyranitar, Blissey, and Ferrothorn, and others. Additionally, the annoying 'Volt-Turn' (single quotations) combos with Rotom-W and Scizor will also have trouble with this set;, because (add semicolon, remove comma) Breloom can set<space>up on and destroy Rotom-W, and if it has boosted, Scizor will fail to beat it (This sentence is very strangely worded, but I can't figure out a way to reword it xD).</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread might seem strange, but it does have its uses function. 236 HP EVs will ensure that Breloom will have the highest HP number that is divisible by per 8, meaning that it will recover the most HP from have the best Poison Heal. recovery; (add period, remove semicolon) 60 Speed EVs will allows Breloom to reach 191 Speed, and outspeeds minimum Speed Heatran and other bulky pokémon such as like Choice Band Tyranitar, Standard Skarmory, and defensive Politoed, etc; the rest is put sent into the Special Defense in order to take hits such as like Rotom-W's Hydro Pump much better, as well as surviving moves such as like Defensive Reuniclus's Psychic and Celebi's Hidden Power Fire. Drain Punch is used for its higher power and extra healing, but Mach Punch can might also be used for useful Fighting Priority, but it is not recommended due to its weak Base Power. Stone Edge is also an option over Seed Bomb, (remove comma) if you wish to hit Flying-types (add hyphen) for super effective hard damage, but Seed Bomb hits bulky Water-types super effectively, and this is one of Breloom's selling points.</p>

<p>This set works especially well against 'Volt-Turn' teams. This set is a great team player, so teams that are weak to scouting teams, Rotom-W or stall teams should at least consider this Breloom, because it helps a lot against them. As for our mushroom's partners, Latios gets a special mention, because not only he resists Breloom's Psychic- and Fire-type weaknesses, he can also OHKO troublesome Pokemon such as Acrobatics Gliscor and Skarmory, while Breloom can easily defeat Tyranitar and, if it has set up, Scizor. Drizzle teams Rain teams with Drizzle Politoed might also enjoy this Breloom's presence, because it's effective against both Sandstorm teams and Rotom-W, and while Breloom loves the rain Politoed brings, which greatly weakens attacks such as so that it can survive Heatran's Flamethrower and random Hidden Power Fires. Lastly, using another Fighting-type Pokemon (no accented e) is also a pretty good cool idea, as since Breloom lures and severely weakens targets such as (or, sometimes, even defeat) Gliscor and Reuniclus, clearing the way for another sweeper to clean up Swords Dance Lucario, a Bulk Up Conkeldurr or a Double Dance Terrakion sweep.</p>

GP 1/2

I apologize for the many changes, but I felt they were necessary.

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
GP CHECK 2/2

additions
removals

[SET]
name: Bulk Up
move 1: Bulk Up
move 2: Spore
move 3: Seed Bomb
move 4: Drain Punch
item: Toxic Orb
ability: Poison Heal
nature: Careful
evs: 236 HP / 212 SDef / 60 Spd

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Breloom can effectively use a Bulk Up set that gives trouble to hinders common physical walls such as Gliscor, Quagsire, and most stall teams. It should also be noted that this variant of Breloom can set up on a multitude of common threats, such as Tyranitar, Ferrothorn, Forretress, and Politoed, among others. Rotom-W, which usually causes troubles to most teams trouble, can't touch Breloom either, because its STABs are resisted and Will-O-Wisp won't have any effect if Toxic Orb has already activated.</p>

<p>Bulk Up is the crux of this set, boosting Breloom's already massive Attack to powerful levels and its medrioce mediocre Defense to high levels, which enables Breloom to survive moves like Choice Band Terrakion's Close Combat, Mamoswine's Ice Shard, and Scizor's Bullet Punch, meaning they will fail to revenge kill preventing them from revenge killing the mushroom Pokémon. Spore is quite useful, especially with the mechanics in BW, and essentially disables one of your opponent's Pokemon. Seed Bomb is Breloom's most powerful Attack, and it hits bulky Water-types such as Rotom-W, Politoed, Quagsire, and Gastrodon extremely hard. Drain Punch, when used in conjunction with Poison Heal, recovers Breloom's health, making it even harder to take down, and still decimates threats such as Tyranitar, Blissey, and Ferrothorn. Additionally, the annoying 'Volt-Turn' combos with combo utilized by Rotom-W and Scizor will also have trouble with this set; Breloom can set up on and destroy Rotom-W, and, with the Defense boost, Scizor will lose to Breloom as well.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The spread might seem strange, but it does have its uses. 236 HP EVs will ensure that Breloom will have the highest HP number that is divisible by 8, meaning that it will recover the most HP from Poison Heal. 60 Speed EVs allow Breloom to reach 191 Speed, and outspeeds outspeeding minimum Speed Heatran and other bulky pokémon such as Choice Band Tyranitar, Skarmory, and defensive Politoed; the rest is put into the Special Defense in order to take hits such as Rotom-W's Hydro Pump much better, as well as surviving moves such as Defensive Reuniclus' Psychic and Celebi's Hidden Power Fire. Drain Punch is used for its higher power Base Power and extra healing, but Mach Punch can also be used for Priority, priority; however, but it is not recommended due to its weak poor Base Power. Stone Edge is also an option over Seed Bomb if you wish to hit Flying-types for hard heavy damage, but Seed Bomb hits Bulky Waters bulky Water-types super effectively, and is one of Breloom's selling points.</p>

<p>This set works especially well against 'Volt-Turn' teams. As for our mushroom's partners, Latios gets a special mention, because not only he resists Breloom's Psychic- and Fire-type weakness, he and can also OHKO troublesome Pokemon such as Acrobatics Gliscor and Skarmory, while Breloom can easily defeat Skarmory. Meanwhile, Breloom can take out Pokemon Latios struggles with, such as Tyranitar and, if it has set up, Scizor. Drizzle teams might also enjoy Breloom's presence, because as it's effective against both Sandstorm sandstorm teams and Rotom-W, and Breloom loves the rain Politoed brings, which greatly weakens attacks such as Heatran's Flamethrower and random Hidden Power Fires. Lastly, using another Fighting-type Pokemon is also a pretty good idea, as Breloom lures and severely weakens targets such as Gliscor and Reuniclus, clearing the way for another sweeper to clean up.</p>

i fucking love this set js

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)